• Published 29th Nov 2011
  • 8,230 Views, 114 Comments

Mysterious Mare Do Well:Rise of the Shadowbolt. - Phoenix Kitten



An alternate ending to Mysterious Mare Do Well chronicling the dark path.

  • ...
20
 114
 8,230

Shadows dancing in the Twilight.

Zecora and Applebloom stood over the cauldron in the center of the hut. A light green broth bubbled as the flames underneath licked at the cast iron container.

"Your skill has grown young Applebloom. More advanced potions will be yours soon." The Zebra rhymed as she took the young filly into another room.

"Thanks Zecora." The filly beamed. "Though you still haven't told me what ah just helped you make."

"Ahh. That is correct my apprentice I apologize. Please allow me to revise." She nodded as she opened a book and glanced through. "Ah. Here is the order I see. It is signed with the initials RD."

"Rainbow Dash?" The earth pony questioned as Zecora's head was pushed aside so her apprentice could verify the info herself.

"That would be my best guess too. But we will see when they arrive to pick up the brew." She smiled as she trotted into her kitchen where another cauldron sat. "Now come, it is getting late. If you are staying the night again I will prepare you a plate."

"Gee thanks Zecora!" She could hear Applebloom say as her hoofsteps followed into the kitchen.

As the two sat down to eat an ear shattering clap of thunder boomed through the window.

"By the demons of the stars above!" Zecora exclaimed.

"WHAT?!?" She heard Applebloom yell. "MAH EARS ARE STILL RINGIN'!"

"What could have angered the heavens so?" The zebra druid asked as the rain began to pour down on the forest.


Somewhere above the treeline, about ten minutes earlier...

The Mysterious Mare Do Well galloped through the Everfree forest towards the old castle that sat in the only clearing the forest had to offer.
'This is the stupidest thing I've ever done... but I'm not going to leave them at her mercy.' She thought to herself.
As she galloped through the forest, dodging rocks and shrubs she came upon a small hut in her path. The horn under her hat glowed pitch black before she vanished, reappearing on the other side of the hut.
"Almost there then."

After a short three minutes she reached the castle and slowed to a stop at the entrance, pulling her mask back and letting her slate blue mane drop down by her lavender neck. Her purple eyes spotted the cloud fortress on the other side of the castle, over the cliff that surrounded it on all sides.

"So this is where you moved them." Twilight asked the darkness around her. "Inverse."
The costume vanished from her body before she trotted across the bridge and into the castle.
Silently she made her way to the throne room where she had faced off with Nightmare Moon two years ago, noting in her head all the changes the castle had endured.
It was by no means regal last time she was here... but it still had a feeling of royal importance. Now though, it was haunting. The silence, the loud echoes of her hoofs against the granite floors. She was alone.

Twilight Sparkle passed under an archway as she trotted through the courtyard. As she did a single word left her lips.
"Izayoi."
The Mysterious Mare Do Well trotted out and looked up at the tower the throne room was in. The castle flashed negative for a second as the Mystery mare vanished.

She reappeared in the middle of the old throne room.

"Welcome Mystery mare. Or should I call you MM? How about Missy, I can call you Missy right?" A voice behind her said

Twilight growled behind her mask.

"Missy it is!"

"Shadowbolt."

"Yes?"

"Where are they?"

Mare Do Well turned around to see Shadowbolt with a hoof to her chin in thought. "Hmmm... I can't recall. Maybe it'll jog my memory if I unmask you!"

Twilight scowled and the world flashed negative for a second. Shadowbolt suddenly flung through the air and ended up embedded in a nearby wall, cracks spiderwebbing out around her.

"Oh you're fast." Shadowbolt groaned, coughing up some blood, before rocketing at Mare Do Well as the wall started to collapse.
Right before she could connect with her new nemesis the world flashed negative again and she suddenly found herself flying through the air backwards as Mare Do Well surfed on her chest. "How do you" another negative flash and the mare was gone. "do that?" She asked before looking in front of her. "Oh fuck me." She swore before slamming into the archway in the courtyard and falling to the floor.

Twilight landed on the ground on the other side of the archway. She spread her legs into a wide stance and began panting heavily. "Alright... I'm good for three more of those before I'm spent and have to leave and enact the other half of my plan."
She shook her head and turned to face the archway only to notice a heavy fog had rolled in. "This is odd. This fog is black."

"The fight starts now Missy!" Shadowbolt screamed as loud crack of sound caused the archway and half the castle to collapse.

Twilight felt her eardrums burst, a trickle of blood leaking from her ears and staining the side of her mask red. With a quick burst of magic she repaired her eardrums,restoring her hearing ability. "Make that two now. Or one if I go full len guhgughgughgughguh." She spasamed as a burst of lightning struck her suit, leaving the sizzling mare to collapse forward, her vision fading. "Damn... good thing I'm grounded..."

Shadowbolt watched as her enemy keeled forward before collapsing sideways. "Your mask is mine Missy." The thunderclouds she had released from a jar slowly lifted into the air and let the rain they had been harboring fall. She trotted towards the fallen mare and prepared to remove the mask from her short lived nemesis' face when the world flashed negative and the Mysterious Mare Do Well vanished.
"What?" She asked, glancing around before spotting her target limping into the half of the castle that hadn't collapsed. "Oh no you don't!" She growled before flying after the masked mare.

Twilight made it halfway down the hallway before collapsing by some rubble. "Inverse* She whispered weakly, her costume vanishing before she passed out.