• Published 29th Nov 2011
  • 8,230 Views, 114 Comments

Mysterious Mare Do Well:Rise of the Shadowbolt. - Phoenix Kitten



An alternate ending to Mysterious Mare Do Well chronicling the dark path.

  • ...
20
 114
 8,230

Overwatch

The Mysterious Mare Do Well reappeared in a dark room in an unknown location.
“My friends!” She called out. Four figures stepped into the shadows around her as she removed her mask, her face remaining shrouded in shadows.

“Is everything alright?”

“We heard the commotion in town.”

“And came here right away.”

“I saw what happened. But I wasn’t close enough to hear anything.”

The mare lowered her head, the light catching a small part of her mane. “We have somepony trying to unmask the Mysterious Mare Do Well.”

“Well Rainbow tried that on me yesterday.”

The other figures nodded.

“Rainbow Dash is probably still sore from yesterday.”

“I heard her screaming as she took off from the street to her house.”

“My friends!” The central figure interrupted sternly. “Rainbow Dash is missing and our foe has used what was in her house to become the villain Shadowbolt.”

The others gasped and fell silent. After a few brief seconds of quiet murmuring the figure to the back left spoke up.

“Well then… what are we to do?”

“That’s easy.” The central figure exclaimed as she remasked herself and vanished in a burst of negative light.

The four figures looked at each other uneasily before backing into the shadows and vanishing.

---

“See you girls later.” Twilight Sparkle smiled as she waved her friends off as they went to trotted down the street, splitting into a sem circle. She closed the door to the library she called home and trotted upstairs, closing a small compartment in the wall that held one of her favorite books before turning out the light and laying her head on her pillow.

Down stairs, the basement window crept open as a figure dressed in full black slipped in and started looking around, flashlight on her shoulder illuminating the area in front of them. In short order they found the object they were looking for and crept back out before flying deep into the Everfree forest.

---

The next day, the entire town of Ponyville turned out in the town square as banners flying the emblem of the Mysterious Mare Do Well adorned the announcement stage. The mare in question stood to the side of the stage while Mayor Rose addressed the crowd.


On a small hill just behind the stage an ivory unicorn took a seat upon a lavishly decorated and plush couch, a pair of binoculars lifted to her azure eyes as she scanned the crowd. “I see you Pinkie, you too Applejack.” She spoke into an earpiece. “Do you copy?”

“Roger that Rarity, good to have you up there. Let us know if you spot anypony suspicious.” A southern drawl answered back.

“We’ll keep a look out down here.” A hyper active voice added.

“”Keep it together you three, and cut the chatter.” A disguised voice suddenly interjected. “Azure is on overwatch, Core and Wall you’re on crowd duty. Canary is on air support. Copy.”

“Copy.” Three voices rang out.

“Canary, copy.”

Silence, the static from the four lines was the only response.

“Canary come back.”’

“Negative visual on Canary.” Rarity replied as she scanned the skies.

“Damn it. Core go look for her, Wall step it up you’re pulling double duty.”

“Roger” the two mares responded.

“You’re on darling.” Rarity said.


“and now, I will hoof the stand to Ponyvilles heroine, The Mysterious Mare Do Well!”
The crowd cheered and whooped and hollered.
Mare Do Well raised her hoof and the crowd fell silent.

“Citizens of Ponyville! As many of you know a villainess has made herself known with the intention to unmask me and show my identity to the world.”

The ponies that weren’t present at the showdown the other day all gasped before Mare Do Well silenced them with a hoof once more.

“Fear not. I will not be defeated by a pony of her kind.”

“Oh won’t you?”

The crowd turned as Mare Do Well looked up and spotted Shadowbolt atop a black thunder cloud.


“Where did she come from?” Rarity asked. “I scanned the skies not even thirty seconds ago.”

“Something bad is about to happen.” Pinkie replied.

Rarity turned her binoculars on Pinkie. The pink mare was shaking like a leaf.

“Azure. Break off; meet with Core at the rendezvous point.” Pinkie called out. “Leave your earpiece on though.”

Rarity packed away her binoculars and grabbed her couch with her magic, dragging it off the hill.


Back down at the stage.
“If you came looking for a fight Shadowbolt.”

“Hmm… no… not today. I just thought I’d show off my new prisoners.” The pegasus smiled as a rope dropped from the bottom of the cloud, hanging from both sides were a pair of pegasi, bound and gagged.

“Fluttershy! Rainbow!” A pink earth pony mare called out in dismay.

“If you do anything to hurt them…” Mare Do Well started.

“Oh I’m sure you’ll do something scary.” Shadowbolt retorted. “Don’t worry. They won’t be harmed. For now. I’ll see you later, Mysterious Mare Do Well.” Shadowbolt frowned. “Colt that’s a mouthful. I’m just going to call you Mystery Mare for short.” With that Shadowbolt propelled her cloud over the crowd and towards her fortress’s new location over Everfree.

Mare Do Well growled and vanished in a burst of negative light.

---

A few hours had passed by the time Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Applejack had gathered inside the barn at Sweet Apple Acres.

“Where in tarnation is she?” Applejack impatiently paced back and forth, to the minor annoyance of a certain ivory unicorn.

“Calm down Applejack dear. She’ll be here when she gets here.” Rarity sighed as she watched the farmpony pace across the floor again. She made a small mark on the ground with her hoof. “Six hundred and thirty five.”

“She’s already here.” Pinkie said as she laid on her back, looking up at the rafters.

The two mares looked around before spotting their guest on top of an apple storage bin with their back to them.
Applejack opened her mouth to say something and found her mouth full of ivory hoof.

“Darling there you are. What happened out there? Where did you go?” Rarity asked before retracting her hoof.

“And don’t you think…” Applejack began again only to have a pink hoof shoved in her mouth.

“Shhhhh.” Pinkie ordered. “Plot advancement.”

With a burst of negative light the fourth pony stood beside Rarity, both looking in opposite directions. “I needed to pick up a few devices. They took longer to find than I thought they would.”

She closed her eyes. “Maybe if you cleaned up every once in a while.”

Mystery Mare turned and looked at the back of Rarity’s neck. “If I asked you right now… what answer would I get?”

“A no darling. The stakes are not yet high enough. I will step onto the field when it is necessary.” She turned and looked into the heroine’s eyepieces. “Just promise me if it gets to dangerous, you’ll reveal yourself.” She closed her eyes again.
When there was no answer after a few seconds she spoke up. “You’re gone aren’t you?” She opened her eyes and chuckled remorsefully before trotting out herself.
"I certainly hope you two don't decide to take up the costume again." She called over her shoulder as she trotted gracefully down the road back to Ponyville.