• Published 29th Nov 2011
  • 8,234 Views, 114 Comments

Mysterious Mare Do Well:Rise of the Shadowbolt. - Phoenix Kitten



An alternate ending to Mysterious Mare Do Well chronicling the dark path.

  • ...
20
 114
 8,234

Reach out to the truth.

Applejack and Fluttershy trotted around Ponyville, their heads on a swivel as they kept their eyes out for a certain dark mare.

"You see her Fluttershy?" The orange farmpony asked. "It's gettin' pretty late out."

"Oh.. uh no... sorry." Fluttershy apologized. "Though... isn't it a good thing she's not here?"

Applejack nodded. "It is sugahcube, means she got hurt pretty bad when Rarity started knockin' her around."

Twilight Sparkles voice buzzed over their earpieces. "Girls. Look sharp, cut the chatter. This will be your last patrol before you rest, Applejack, you don't mind ke-"

"She's gone!"

"Say again Twi. You got cut"

"Pinkie's gone!"

"What?!?"

"Where? And how?"

"I don't know dears, I went downstairs to make myself some tea and when I came back up she was gone."

"O-oh my... You think maybe..."

"We can't rule out that she was foalnapped by that despicable Shadowbolt." Rarity finished. "Aha. She climbed out the window. I know I closed them all up here."

---

'Keep moving, gotta keep moving.' Pinkie thought as she cantered slowly through Everfree forest. 'She's around here somewhere. I know she is.'
She repeated the mantra's in her head as she approached Zecora's hut. "Muchourin." She whispered, her Mare Do Well costume forming around her as she burst through the door.
Her eyepieces sliding into place as the two ponies and zebra came into the living room from the back.

"You?" The wounded Shadowbolt yelled. "You can still move after taking two lightning bolts?"

Pinkie blinked behind her mask as the Shadowbolt glared at her. She got out of her combat stance and trotted a circle around the villain before grabbing her tail and dragging her out of the hut and deeper into the forest.

Zecora and Applebloom just stood in confusion.

"What just..."

"I do not know my apprentice. Perhaps our client saw fit to test us."

---

"I said... let. Me. GO!" Shadowbolt yelled as she wrenched herself free from her opponents grasp.

Mare Do Well stumbled abit, catching herself and turning to look at Shadowbolt. "Who are you?"

Shadowbolt looked at the costumed heroine in surprise. "I am the"

"No. I mean who are you really?"

"I already told you I don't plan on telling you."

"Really? Guess I forgot, Rainbow Dash."

Shadowbolt began sweating heavily. "I-I'm not her. I foalnapped her remember?"

"I know it's you Dashie. You're the one who showed me that you can channel lightning through your coat one day. That's how you zapped me yesterday."

The sweat began to pour off her like rain, stinging her wounds some more and washing the dye off her coat. "Aww crud." She muttered when she noticed the pool of black dye sitting under her forelegs.

Pinkie pulled her mask off and hugged the injured pegasus. "I knew it was you Dashie!"

"Pinkie?!?" Rainbow said, surprise in her voice. "You're the Mare Do Well?"

Pinkie pulled back and nodded. "One of them..." She admitted. "Please Dashie... tell me. Why are you doing this?"

Rainbow shook her head. "Was it you that day Pinkie? Was it you I tried to tackle?"

Pinkie nodded. "But I didn't do the talking... one of the others... she used me like a puppet, took control of me with magic."

A look of shock crossed Rainbow's face before she gave her friend a nuzzle. "Tell me who they were Pinks. I'll make them regret doing it."

"I can't!" Pinkie blurted out. "Just stop this Dashie. Please!" She hugged Rainbow again and sniffled. "I don't want to see you get hurt... or worse."

The cyan pegasus hugged her friend back. "I'm already hurt Pinks. But I won't... I won't let them kill me." She reassured her friend. "How many are there?"

Pinkie sniffled again, tears threatening to pour down her face. "Including me... five."

"So four to go then. Are any of our other friends involved?"

"I don't know." She lied. "We were all contacted by a messenger, no pony else knows the identity of the other Mare Do Well's. Keep us in the dark... in case one of us defected." Pinkie was almost crying. "Like I am."

Rainbow pulled the rest of the costume off Pinkie and tore it into pieces. "Come on Pinkie... I'm set up in the old castle. I'll let you stay there."

Pinkie shook her head. "No... no I'm sorry Dashie... I can't." She turned and started to trot away. "I won't reveal your identity... but please... give serious thought to stopping this... somepony is going to get seriously hurt..." She added before galloping back toward Ponyville.

---

Pinkie managed to sneak back into town and her room in the loft above SugarCube Corner without anypony else seeing her and collapsed into her bed. "Please Dashie... stop this... just come back." She whispered before crying until she fell asleep.

---

Rainbow Dash was carrying her order from Zecora back to the old castle in a basket that was sitting around her neck. Her run in with Pinkie playing back through her head.
"Is she right? Should I stop?" She shook her head as she landed in one of the old bedrooms, now furnished with the objects of her old house, which was being pressed into service as her captured thunderclouds. "She's practically resigned... but what if she's telling the truth about not knowing, some of our friends could other Mare Do Wells... I don't want to hurt them."
She took one of the herbal supplements she had bought from Zecora and fell face first onto the bed she had taken.
She glanced back at her injured wings and watched the cuts quickly heal before she passed out.