• Published 13th Sep 2016
  • 8,991 Views, 506 Comments

Finding a Place - Battlecat



Moving to Canterlot was supposed give Silver Spark a chance to begin again. So far that hasn't worked out.

  • ...
16
 506
 8,991

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 47 - To Be Judged

02-08-1003, Continued – Princess Luna

T’was no easy feat keeping my composure as I walked through the halls of Canterlot Castle towards the Gala. I despised the anxiety that accompanied me on trips to these social occasions. Three and a half years gone since I was saved by Twilight Sparkle but it still felt like I was being silently judged by so many ponies. My only hope was that the most obnoxious nobles had already departed for the night so I could enjoy some time with my actual friends.

I could hear the music echoing down the hall and smiled. Twas a far cry from the dry music I had overheard previous years. I quietly slipped through the door and took in the bizarre scene. There were small pools of damp green slime here and there around the room. It only took a moment for me to spot the obvious source. There was a Smooze in the middle of the room, dancing in time to the music.

I admit my heart did stop for a moment at the sight of one of those creatures. My magic ignited but I managed to catch myself before I did something foolish. Pinkie Pie, mine Sister, and other ponies were dancing near it without a care in the world which made me pause for a critical moment. The absence of glazed eyes or zombie-like movement calmed my nerves further. It wouldn’t do to mistreat a guest even if it was a former enemy of ponykind. I was just wondering what to do next when I spotted a familiar pony approaching me.

“Good evening your highness,” Rarity greeted me, bowing politely. “What a lovely dress you are wearing this evening. Would it be forward of me to ask who designed it?”

I glanced over my shoulder at my dress to ensure all was in order. It was a simple thing by modern standards; a sheer black gown that covered my flanks and legs integrated to my royal peytral with a series of silver chains shaped like moons. I turned back and smiled at her.

“Tis a far cry from thine lovely creations Lady Belle but I felt it would serve for this event,” I replied. “Tis a replica of a dress I first wore almost fifteen centuries ago to one of the first galas. T’was a night that truly changed my life. The original was designed by the first royal tailor, Simple Stitch. This one was recreated by the castle staff from a painting.”

“My word!” Rarity gasped. “It is a lovely piece, though quite different from the modern style. Was there any particular reason you chose this?”

“Twas the dress I wore the night I-” I hesitated and hastily amended my thought. “Let me simply say this design has special significance to me and so I had the palace seamstress recreate it. I had contemplated speaking to you about a new design but I understand you are establishing a boutique here in Canterlot. I felt it would be too much of a burden whilst thou art preparing thine new shop and also setting up this lovely gala. Perhaps I could commission a more modern dress once your Canterlot shop is open?”

“I-I-I would be honored, your highness!” Rarity gasped, obviously fighting against a swoon.

“I look forward to that day, Lady Belle,” I said, quite flattered by her enthusiasm. “Now, pray tell, hast thou seen my student?”

“I had no idea you had taken on a student Princess,” Rarity replied. “Who is it?”

I was surprised by her question. “Silver Spark, of course. I assumed Twilight would have informed you of that and . . . well, I shouldn’t say.”

“She hasn’t mentioned anything,” Rarity growled quietly. “Silver almost gave it away earlier but he clammed up. What skill could a human turned Thestral have that you could train?”

I chuckled, realizing I knew something a gossip Rarity would love. I couldn’t resist teasing her and I felt a small grin appear on my face.

“Then I shall keep their confidence,” I smiled. “Thou shalt simply have to wait until they see fit to reveal the whole story.”

“You know!?” She exclaimed, stomping her hooves. “Gah, I want to know what’s going on! I’m certain she’s hiding something else about him and Sunset Shimmer but they refuse to share! Are you certain there’s nothing you could divulge your highness?”

Fortunately, Twilight Sparkle chose that moment to walk in from the gardens. The distraction from Rarity’s intense interest was welcome. I turned to greet my fellow princess but I was taken aback by the worry on her face.

“Has anypony seen Silver Spark or Sun- Marigold?” she asked, obviously distraught. “They were supposed to be waiting in the garden for me but they’re not out there.”

“Tis odd,” I mused. “Silver and his companion are most reliable ponies.”

Rarity’s expression darkened. “Blueblood challenged Silver using the old herd law,” she said harshly. “Perhaps he wants to ensure Silver will default by not showing up.”

Twilight stared at Rarity, her mouth opening and closing as she tried to find the words. “HE DID WHAT?!” she yelled. “Oh, when I get my hooves on him-”

Princess Twilight had nearly used the Royal Canterlot Voice so I put up my hoof to forestall any further statements “My nephew is many things but he would not dishonor his title by subverting a challenge in such a way.”

“I know, he loves games,” Twilight replied. “I don’t trust his motives with this one. Can you find them, Luna?”

“I will seek them out as quickly as possible,” I assured Twilight, beginning to cast the necessary spells as I spoke. “Has this evening been the success you had hoped for? I note we have an intriguing guest.”

Twilight sighed. “Not as much of a success as I’d hoped but it could have been much worse. Please, find my friends.”


Even as I spoke with Twilight and Rarity, a portion of my mind was already dedicated to locating my friends. One of the secrets Twilight and Cadance had yet to learn about being an Alicorns was how to partition one’s mind. My sister and I realized we had the skill when we nearly 60 years old. I never learned how my sister used the ability but I learned to manifest a portion of my consciousness to the Astral Plane. Even as I sat in Night Court, I was also able to patrol the dream realm.

It was the fundamental difference between my dreamwalking and the ability of the Astral Sentinels. While the Sentinels would never be able to enter the astral realm during their waking hours, their partnership with their spirit guides gave them a different strength. It was unfortunate that so much had been lost due to my foolish rebellion against my sister. So many friends perished and the price I paid was almost too much to bear.

As if sensing my anguish, I felt familiar presence lurking nearby. A purple cloud appeared in my mind’s eye which I just scowled at.

Shoo, now is not the time,” I snapped at the purple cloud. “You will have ample perform your duty when I sleep. Now let me see . . .”

My horn began to glow as I wove the spell to travel across the Astral Plane to where my friend’s souls resided. Once I was near their souls I would use the link determine their location in the physical realm. When I arrived in my corridor of stars I felt cold fear overtake me. The astral orbs representing Silver Spark and Sunset Shimmer were shattered.

I walked over to the floating shards and began examining the patterns of their movement. Somepony unversed in the quirks of the Astral Plane might panic at the sight but in truth, this was far from uncommon or fatal. The state of the orb did warn of a serious incident in the real world though. There was no doubt they were both injured and unconscious somewhere in the real world, lending credence to Rarity’s theory. Fortunately, the shards were beginning to coalesce which meant they were already recovering. The shards continuing to drift apart would warn of a potentially fatal injury.

Tragically, the spell I used to locate a pony would not work on the very minds that needed my attention the most. Fragmented or damaged minds were adrift in a sea of possibilities. Fortunately, there were other solutions. I simply had to nudge their astral selves towards healing. I began to gather my magic to aid my student but I hesitated upon I noticing some of the shards were already on the move. To my surprise, Silver Spark was already well on his way to recovery. Within moments, two figures replaced the cloud of fragments, one bipedal and one quadruped.

Silver’s human face fascinated me; so similar to a pony and yet utterly alien in the same moment. Sometimes he was impossible to read but right now he was like an open book. He looked almost sick to his stomach and Spark didn’t look much better. They looked like stallions who had been through a terrible ordeal.

Ugh, that was unpleasant,” Silver grumbled. “What the hell was that about?”

I have no idea,” Spark replied. “I just hope they don’t club us again when we wake up.”

Hello my friends!” I said as I trotted over to them. “I did not realize you had already mastered the skill to repair thy mind after injury. Still, a concussion should not be taken lightly even when you can recover your wits so quickly. Where did you take your fall? I will dispatch aid to your location immediately.”

Hello Luna,” Silver replied in a subdued voice, without answering my question.

I was taken aback by the expression on his face, far more reminiscent of the day we first met. T’was a great concern as his mind was still healing from the injuries suffered. He had the look of a pony who had been kicked one too many times. That was contrasted by the expression on Spark’s face. The spirit guide was absolutely livid.

Some Nightguards decided to alter our plans with blunt objects,” Spark snapped, more angry at the world than myself. “They clubbed us on the head at least two times and I’m pretty sure our unconscious body is being dragged somewhere. They hurt Sunset as well and I have no idea where she is. Why do so many ponies hate us, Luna? Even those from our own tribe attacked us without provocation.”

I felt my heart stop for a moment and I quickly turned my awareness fully into the dream realm. In the physical world, I could dimly hear Twilight asking me what was wrong. I paid her no mind for I could not afford distractions at this moment if what he said was true. I needed the full story.

You were truly accosted by my own guards?!”

Silver nodded. “Two guards stepped up, informed me I was under arrest and then I was clubbed from behind by a third one. They called me a traitor and scoffed when Sunset said I would never betray Equestria. She tried to protect me but they hurt her. How could I have betrayed a group of ponies I never laid eyes on before today?”

Verily?!” I gasped. “Why would they call you a . . . a . . . oh no. No, they wouldn’t.”

I trailed off as the truth dawned on me. There were so many little details I was still trying to understand about the modern era. The big changes had been easy. Electric lights, hot water in pipes, skyscrapers and railroads were incredible improvements but they were concrete, visible things that benefited everypony. The subtle social changes were a greater challenge that I was finding overwhelming at times. Language had shifted along with the social norms. A lone example was a word once used to describe carefree happiness now being used to describe sexual preference but there was so much more.

My Thestrals were no different; their culture a thousand years removed from the one I had left behind. Their beliefs and traditions had stayed the same in many ways but in others, they were almost as alien as Silver’s world. There were a million little details about their new culture and how they interacted with Equestria. I was trying to learn but even an Alicorn has limits. Now, what had seemed like a minor, unimportant detail was standing out a terrible oversight.

What’s is it Luna?” Spark asked in a worried voice.

I am a fool,” I whispered, avoiding their gazes. “The existence of the mirror is a secret known to only a few ponies. In mine eyes thou art a dear friend from beyond the mirror and effectively the human ambassador to Equestria. To my guards and the other ponies, you are just another normal Thestral, which means . . .”

I trailed off, still uncertain how I could explain the depths of my oversight. I wasn’t certain there was anything I could say at this moment to calm his fears. My mistakes before my exile had already caused my student much pain and now my oversight threatened to cause even more. I looked at the ground, trying to find the words to explain the choices that had lead to this moment. When I raised my head to look up at them, Silver was watching me with wide eyes.

It means what?” he implored. “Please Luna, is there anything you can tell me?

I looked down at my student and his spirit guide watching me, the fear growing on their faces. The truth of what I had to be done became clear and I hated myself just a bit more in the face of that knowledge.

”It means you are subject to Thestral laws before any others,” I told them.

They both stared at me and I knew they were trying to process what I had just told them. I was utterly ashamed that I hadn’t realized Silver would be subject to their rules. If I had, it might have been possible to avoid this. Now there was only one choice and I silently prayed that my student would forgive me for what was to come. I looked my silent student.

Tis best we do not speak of this further,” I said, fighting to keep my voice calm. “Thine ignorance will be of limited aid in your plea but this is a case where knowledge would make things worse. Rest assured we now know where you are being taken and we will not abandon you. I will be present when the tribunal begins and I will do my best to correct my errors, numerous as they are.”

The color drained out of Silver’s face. “A tribunal?! What for? What am I guilty of?”

I was nearly overwhelmed by shame as I reached out and put my hoof against his cheek. “You have done absolutely nothing wrong, my faithful student. You are suffering the consequences of my sins millennia ago. Once again, my failings are heaped upon your shoulders and now you must meet your Equestrian brethren in the worst manner possible. I swear unto you, thou shalt not face them alone, nor will you be at their mercy for long.”

I quickly wove a spell and cast it around the shards of Sunset’s soul. The shards began spinning more quickly and began to slowly assemble themselves but it would still take time. I looked back at my student and sighed.

With your permission, I will cast a spell that will keep you asleep until just prior to the Tribunal. I fear what might occur if you wake up in their hooves before I can be present. There is a chance I can convince them to release you without a tribunal but it is a mere sliver. They will not run a tribunal without your full awareness. We would ask you wait for thine marefriend’s soul to be restored before you bring her to the Astral Realm. Comfort her until we can revive her in the physical world. I must now return my full attention to the physical realm but we will not leave you alone for long.”

Silver and Spark nodded as one, though they did not speak. They both looked frightened and I could not blame them. What was worse, I could not stay to care for him since time was of the essence. I cast the spell on Silver and then departed without another word. I needed my entire attention back in the real world, so I poured my awareness back into my physical body.


In the physical realm, I discovered I was laying on the floor with Twilight and her friends gathered around me. My sister, Princess Cadance and Prince Shining Armor were also standing nearby. Surprisingly, Discord and the Smooze were even watching from a respectful distance. Everypony had concerned expressions on their faces but none matched the sheer panic on Twilight Sparkle’s face.

“ . . . hear me, Luna?!” Twilight shouted again. “What’s going on? Why did you collapse? Where are my friends?”

I couldn’t look Twilight in the eye at that moment, so I kept my gaze on the floor. “Thine friend Sunset is injured nearby, and I have my suspicions about where based on Silver’s report. He is tending her in the Astral Realm as we speak but we must make haste to locate her in the waking world. My student is more problematic. Silver Spark is in peril and once again I bear the blame. Sister, do you recall the terms of your treaty with the Thestrals regarding foundlings?”

My sister’s expression became one of confusion at my odd question. “Orphans? Why would that clause apply to a human . . . oh sweet maker,” Celestia gasped, her eyes widening. “Please tell me you understand why I granted them such free reign. I dread to think what would have happened if those foals had stayed in the orphanages. It was safer to have them join their tribe.”

There was a minor spark of relief that I wasn’t the only pony to overlook such a simple truth. T’was a sad reminder that the shape we wore was more important to most ponies than who we truly were. I nodded silently at her, feeling ashamed about the events that Silver had been caught up in. A thousand years and it felt like my penance was still barely begun. I again felt the presence in my mind begging for release to do its work but I shoved it back. My punishment would have to wait until I slept.

Twilight’s eyes narrowed and an actual growl escaped her lips. “First we get my Sunset; then you are going to take us to Silver Spark. Once they’re safe, you two can explain what this Thestral Treaty is, why it doesn’t appear in any of my research, why this foundling clause applies to Silver Spark and what the buck is going on with your guards! The medallion should have been more than enough to protect him short of him committing a criminal act.”

Twilight’s expression made it absolutely clear who she wanted answers from. Celestia and I exchanged a glance and I knew the wince on her face reflected mine. Still, there was an undercurrent of pride on her face as well and I could understand why. When my sister informed me Twilight would almost certainly ascend to become an alicorn I was skeptical. Not of her power but of her ability to lead once the mantle of leadership was thrust upon her. She had always seemed timid, eager to please and lacking the force a Princess would need. Even as I taught my fellow Princess about the art of dreamwalking, I still felt she was relatively passive.

Any lingering doubts about her capability were now washed away. For the first time, I saw the makings of the leader Celestia saw years before me. It gave me hope for the future even as I was being forced to face truths that I had been avoiding. I just hoped the solution would be as easy as Princess Twilight expected.


My name is Sunset Shimmer.

That was the only thought I could grasp in the horrifying emptiness that surrounded me. I had never been afraid of the dark. This blackness around me was something more than simple darkness. There was no light, no gravity, no breeze and not even sensation from my body. There was no reference for my mind to interpret what surrounded me. My only companion was the sound, a ringing cacophony from a multitude of angry voices. The voices of all the ponies and people I had wronged.

“Demon!”
You disappoint me, Sunset.”
Monster!”
Secret Stealer!”
Yes Miss Shimmer.”
Time to pay the price Shimmer.”
You don’t belong in this world!”
Go back to where you belong!”

What was real? What was imagined? I had no basis to judge, no frame of reference and seemingly no ability to question what I was feeling. The accusations just went on and on and I knew they were words I deserved. I suffered them without complaint because it was my penance and tumbled through the void as dark fragments of memory tormented what little remained of my awareness.

Then a gentle voice echoed over the angry accusations. “Wake up Sunset. We are here my love.”

The voice lit up the emptiness like a beacon and I followed it without hesitation. As I approached, my thoughts began to clear and the fog in my brain slowly faded away. The sky cleared, leaving me in a star-filled sky with a human and a Thestral standing nearby, watching me. They dashed over and wrapped me in a pair of hugs that warmed my heart.

Thank goodness you’re ok,” Silver whispered in my ear.

It’s been ages Sunset,” Spark added. “I was beginning to worry Luna’s spell didn’t work.”

I wrapped my arms around the two incarnations of my boyfriend and held them tightly to me. After the nightmare of voices, I was afraid to speak. For a long while, we just sat there holding each other for comfort while I recovered.

What’s the last thing you remember?” Silver asked, his voice tinged with worry and something else.

I was still feeling a bit disoriented but I thought back, trying to remember what came before the darkness. “It was the Gala,” I started hesitantly. “We . . . we were dancing in the garden while waiting for Twilight. Then the- Wait, the Nightguard attacked us!? What was with that?”

Spark nodded. “Good, that’s a promising sign for your recovery. As much as I’d love to keep you here, you need to wake up right away. You’ve been unconscious too long already.”

Will you be there?” I asked.

We don’t know where the Thestrals are taking us but I’m certain we aren’t in the same place,” Silver replied. “Luna said she would do something to help but she was short on specifics. Just remember, we love you.”

Give our best to Twilight,” Spark said, smiling at me. “I wish we could have gotten another dance in. Bye Sunset.”

Before I could protest, Spark flicked his wings in my direction. An invisible breeze caught me and the starscape of the Astral Plane quickly faded to black.


03-08-1003 – Sunset Shimmer

“Nnnngh, not yet Silver,” I groaned as pain shot through my head. “Don’t send me away.”

I began to try to move but a hoof stopped me. I felt something holding me down on the bed and I felt a flash of fear shoot through me. Before I could panic and start struggling a familiar voice assuaged my worries.

“Shhh Sunset,” Twilight whispered. “You’re safe, don’t try to move.”

“Where am I?”

“You’re in the Canterlot dungeon infirmary. The Nightguards who attacked you brought you here for treatment before you were going to be imprisoned. We put a stop to that of course but the doctors didn’t want to move you until you were conscious.”

The tone of Twilight’s voice made my fur stand on end. That wasn’t my gentle, slightly nerdy girlfriend speaking. That was Princess Twilight talking. It was the same tone she used when she spoke to me after I was hit with the elements. The voice she used when she was dealing with her responsibilities. Hearing it was both terrifying and alluring. Then it hit me and I felt my breathing speed up.”

“Celestia! Oh no, Princess Celestia is going to find out I’m here. I’m not ready to see her!”

“Yeah about that,” Twilight said, the princess voice vanishing in an instant. “She already knew you were here. She recognized the disguise from when you were a student.”

“She knew?” I whispered, as my heart almost stopped beating. “She knew I was at the Gala?!”

I felt Twilight’s hoof stroke my back gently. “Yes but don’t worry. You’re not in trouble for it and Princess Celestia won’t force you to see her until you’re ready. You have her word and mine on that.”

That revelation wasn’t exactly a relief but it at least let me relax a bit. I should have realized I couldn’t fool Celestia. The fact she had always known and allowed me to sneak out of the school for years didn’t exactly fill me with confidence. What else did she know about my actions when I was her student. Sneaking into the restricted section was just the most egregious mistake I had made, not the only one.

“If you say so Twi,” I replied, trying to change the subject. “Silver and Spark send their love from the Astral Realm by the way. What do you know about the attack and where they’re taking him? He wouldn’t say.”

“Oh you know,” Twilight replied, obviously stressed out. “Just some poorly worded treaties from a war that isn’t noted in any history books. You know, just like Princess Luna, Changelings, Tirek, Discord and who knows what else. I’m getting tired of these secrets, especially when they get the ponies I love hurt.”

My eyes shot open, a reflex I immediately regretted. Even though the lights were dimmed, a spike of pain still shot through my head. Before I slammed my eyes closed, I saw the slightly manic expression on Twilight’s face, complete with a disheveled mane.

I felt sick to my stomach. “Twi, where is Silver?”

“There’s a clause in the treaty that established the Thestrals as a separate governing body located within Equestria,” Twilight growled. “If you are a pony with bat wings and cat-like eyes, you are subject to their laws above those of Equestria. The Lunar Council as they call themselves is meeting tonight to decide Silver’s fate.”

“Well, what are we waiting for?!” I asked. “Let’s go!”

Even as I spoke, I began to lift my head up off the pillow, but my head began to spin like a top. I slumped back on the pillow and whimpered as a fresh wave of pain hit me.

“I’m sorry Sunset but you have to stay here,” Twilight told me sadly. “You are in no condition to travel anywhere except up to the castle infirmary once the doctors give their approval.”

If I had the energy, I would have put a serious expression on my face but I was reluctant to try moving again. I hated this feeling of helplessness and it galled me that I wouldn’t be able to go another round with those Nightguards. I still wasn’t sure how they’d taken down my shield so easily.

“Swear to me you’ll do everything you can to bring him back,” I said quietly.

Twilight leaned in and kissed my cheek making me sigh happily. There were still days I had difficulty believing I was lucky enough to have the two of them. I just hoped I would still have them both after today.

“Oh, he’s coming home,” Twilight said confidently. “The Lunar Council is not taking him away from us and neither is Prince Blueblood with his archaic herd stallion challenge.”

The only sound in the room was the occasional beep of the monitoring equipment as I tried to process what Twilight just told me. “You have got to be kidding me. He managed to get in that much trouble in less than an hour?”

“Pinkie mentioned he was talking to the Smooze as well,” Twilight snorted. “Sounded like he was trying to make friends with it.”

For the first time since visiting Equestria, I really wished I had hands so I could facepalm without hurting myself.


03-08-1003 – Silver Spark

Two days was an excessively long time to spend on the Astral Plane. For the first time since I’d acquired my magic, Spark and I found ourselves wishing for the peaceful oblivion of normal sleep. There just didn’t seem to be any way to make that happen. Fortunately, I wasn’t alone for the entire time. Twilight joined me while they slept and Luna did her best to keep me entertained. Sadly, Sunset’s condition meant a proper night’s sleep was necessary so we only made brief visits to ensure her dreams were peaceful.

Fortunately, I had also managed to convince Luna that I shouldn’t be going into this without some idea of what the Thestrals were like. As a result, Princess Luna demonstrated a technique that she would never be able to teach me. Spark and I were sitting in our easy chair watching a large window that displayed everything Luna was seeing and hearing. She was had a minor projection of herself sitting nearby though it said little. I just watched through her eyes as events began to unfold in the physical world.

Luna walked into a moonlit courtyard surrounded by decaying walls with Twilight by her side. In spite of the ruins, the stone surface had been swept clean of any remaining snow. Unlike the walls, the grey stone floor looked to be in near perfect condition with a floor design was truly eye-catching. A circle of pure black stone outlined the design. It was broken by the tips of a twelve-pointed star made of a different, slightly more iridescent stone. The design reminded me of a Buddhist mandala or an elaborate sundial. I decided to call it a sundial until I had some other answer.

Luna stopped at the point closest to the door that I arbitrarily called twelve. Eight Thestrals ponies were standing around the circle, leaving the three, six and nine points empty. It was my first look at other Thestrals and I was intrigued by their coloration. They all had muted and dark colored coats when compared with the Ponies I had seen in Ponyville. The courtyard was absolutely silent for a moment but then all eight Thestrals spoke as one.

“We welcome the goddess of the night to the Lunar Council. May the gentle light of your moon reveal the truth that the blinding sun conceals. Grant us the strength to stay true to our oath until all that was lost is restored.”

I could see Twilight just in Luna’s field of vision frowning at their phrasing. I frowned as well and looked over at my brother chilling in his recliner.

“That’s a strange way to see the world,” I muttered. “I always thought it was the light of day that reveals the truth or something.”

Spark looked over at me. “Keep in mind how well we see at night. If we were to embrace a fully nocturnal lifestyle, the daylight would probably be blinding. Possibly even painful.”

I winced. “Ugh, that would suck. I like going out in the sun.”

Spark nodded. “I’d rather keep our versatility too. Not like a nocturnal lifestyle is practical anyhow.”

I thought for a moment. “Do you think that was a jab at Princess Celestia?”

We exchanged a glance but there wasn’t really anything to say. It seemed quite likely that was exactly what it was. On that sobering note, we turned our attention back to the scene in the real world. Luna had accepted the greeting and had just gestured at Twilight.

“I expect thou art familiar with mine companion this evening,” Luna said. “I wouldst have you treat her with the same respect you afford me.”

One grey coated mare calmly stepped forward three paces. Her mane was inky black and her deep purple wings were folded at her sides. Her cyan eyes watched Twilight like a hunting predator and betrayed an anger that made me nervous. Her cutie mark was a strange series of black marks twisted together almost like a Celtic knot.

“The council recognized Princess Twilight Sparkle as a guest,” she said with forced politeness. “Does my goddess have any requests of us before we proceed with the tribunal? Your earlier request is sadly impossible. We cannot release the oathbreaker to your custody until justice has been served.”

“Very well, I do have on additional request,” Luna replied. “I wish to hear the latest population counts and any news you might have to report.”

The mare’s eyes narrowed and shifted to Twilight. “In the presence of your . . . guest?”

“I believe that was what I requested, Shadow Dancer,” Luna replied sternly. “If there is no other issue you may begin with your village.”

Shadow Dancer, blinked but held her ground. She dropped into a deep bow. “Of course, as you command my goddess. The Lunar Village has 3943 ponies as of the last count.”

“That one is making me nervous and I’m not even in the same room,” Spark commented.

I looked more closely at Shadow Dancer who was stepping back to her spot in the circle and shrugged. “She seems a bit intense, yeah.”

“No, it’s more like grudging worship,” he countered. “I can see it in her posture. She treats Luna like a goddess but her attitude borders on disrespectful.”

I blinked a looked over at my brother. “When did you get so good at reading people and ponies?”

“What else am I going to do all day while I’m watching your back?”

Luna’s gaze shifted to a pale grey stallion with a purple mane. His cutie mark looked like a shield with the figure of a pony that looked almost like a shadow.

“Umbral Sentinel, step forward and report,” Luna commanded.

“Forest Haven has 2628 Thestrals in residence,” he reported in an oddly cheerful voice. “I’m also pleased to report that several pre-war artifacts were recovered from the bank of the Canter River. We will be working to confirm.”

Luna nodded and her eyes shifted to the next pony in the circle. “Moonlight Glow?”

At this point, I finally realized Luna was deliberately using their names for my benefit. I wasn’t sure how helpful knowing these ponies would be but hearing their names made them more relatable. This young looking mare’s grey coat had a slight tinge of green and her mane was more of a forest green. Her cutie mark was a strange blade that almost looked like a bat wing.

“In spite of recent resurgence of Bugbear activity, Midnight Watch has grown to a population of 2864.”

“Are the attacks getting serious enough to require more support?” an unnamed, youthful stallion chimed in. “Hollow View is nearing its population limit.”

“Not as yet, Silent Blade, but if their numbers continue to grow we might,” Moonlight Glow replied. “Of course we can always accept new residents. Midnight Watch has no shortage of space and it would be wise to begin their training before the need become dire.”

“It’s possible their resurgence is related to the escape of Tirek from Tartarus,” Luna mused. “Several powerful Bugbears were imprisoned there as well. Please keep us informed. Ice Raven, what is the news from the north?”

The mare who stepped forward this time had a steel-blue coat with a royal blue mane. Her cutie mark was appropriately a blackbird perched on an icy disc.

“Ice Haven is holding steady with 2343 ponies,” she reported in a smooth contralto. “To our surprise, there has been some activity on the other side of the Yakyakistan border. It appears the Yaks are repairing and clearing the rail line.”

“We will inform Cadance to send crews to clear our half of the line. It has been many years since they last spoke with Equestria. What is your report Night Hammer.”

West Haven, 2592 ponies,” the stallion said sharply with almost military precision. He was stockier than most of the other Thestral and his appearance stood out from the others. He had a brown coat and his mane was a deep red. His cutie mark was a blacksmithing hammer.

“Very well,” Luna said. “Opal Wind, how fares your lands?”

An elderly mare with a deep purple-grey coat stepped forward. Her mane was silver from age and her cutie mark was an iridescent gemstone.

“The Desert Refuge has grown to 2235 ponies,” she reported in a gravelly voice like she had lung damage. “There has been no activity sighted from the Arimaspi or from the Badlands recently. Dust Storm, you should speak next.”

Silent Blade had an unremarkable slate grey coat and a purple mane. His cutie mark looked like a dust devil of some sort but it was his eyes that really stood out. The cat shaped eyes were filled with pain as he looked Luna straight in the eyes.

“The mine at Dry Haven suffered a cave in last week,” Silent Blade said sadly. “We lost 6 in the disaster, leaving us at a population of 1926 ponies.”

“All the havens join you in mourning,” Shadow Dancer said. “Did the lost ponies have any foals, Dust Storm?”

Three did not; their lines have come to an end,” Dust storm replied. “However, I will say no more on the matter at this time. I would hear the words of the last chief so we can get the more unpleasant business out of the way.”

Dust storms comment left me confused. “Why would they be more concerned about the ponies who didn’t have foals?”

“I have a suspicion,” Spark replied. “I’ll tell you once we hear from the last representative.”

The last stallion to step forward was barely out of his teens. He had a black coat and a navy blue mane. His cute mark looked almost like a claw but it was hard to make out the details this time.

“Hollow Watch has reached 1632 ponies,” the young stallion replied. “As I mentioned we are nearing our population limit but otherwise things are quiet.”

As the last stallion stepped back, Spark looked over at me with a concerned expression on his face. “Silver, there are barely 20,000 Thestrals if those numbers were accurate. That’s why they’re so focused on ponies with no foals.”

I blinked and went over the numbers I could remember in my head. It sounded right but that was hard to believe. I thought back to biology class, trying to remember the lesson on population sizes. Twilight and Sunset would be disappointed when I told them I couldn’t recall a single thing.

“Seriously? That doesn’t sound like a lot of ponies.”

“It isn’t. I’m nearly certain there are more humans living in Canterlot City back home.”

“Humans aren’t a good comparison, technology is completely different. How many ponies are there in Equestria?”

“Damned if I know. Still, Canterlot looked like a pretty big city.”

The image of what I was seeing through Luna’s eyes abruptly faded away and the astral projection began moving. Luna sighed and walked over to us.
Her worried expression left me feeling less than confident about what was to come.

“It is time for you to wake up,” she said quietly. “In spite of my request, they are adamant the treaty and the related laws apply to all Thestrals equally. Sadly, it is their right though these laws should never have applied to you. Be strong and try to hold thine emotions in check. I fear this will be a difficult trial for you.”

I nodded silently. I felt like my voice would crack from my fear if I spoke out loud. I braced myself when her horn glowed and in mere moments, the Astral realm faded away.


An icy cold breeze greeted me as I returned to the waking world. It washed across my back, making me shiver, even with the fur covering my body. I already knew it was late at night from looking through Luna’s eyes but I was still surprised by how cold it was. My whole body was stiff and aching so I tried to stretch my wings and legs but I was stopped short by bindings. I cracked my eyes open and looked around trying to get my bearings. My face was pressed against the cold stone floor of the ruined castle. Luna had mentioned I was in the Everfree Castle which was supposed to be somewhere near Ponyville. Just like the walls I had seen earlier, this place was more of a ruin than a castle. It made the decision by the Thestrals to meet here more confusing.

“So, you’re finally awake?” a mocking voice asked from beside me. “You’ve been out cold for over 24 hours. I’m not particularly impressed it took you that long to recover from a couple taps on the head. I suppose it’s true, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.”

I looked up and found the orange eyes of the mare that had attacked me from behind at the Gala. She wasn’t wearing her Nightguard armor so her appearance had shifted slightly. I had seen the representatives through Luna’s eyes but it was still intriguing to see another Thestral up close. Her coat was silver-grey and her mane was two-toned dark blue and brown. She had tufted ears and slightly elongated canine teeth quite similar to mine.

It was obvious her words were obviously intended to insult me. I was going to do my best to follow Luna’s advice but it wasn’t going to be easy. I was sore, frustrated and tired of being jerked around by arrogant ponies.

“Don’t judge what you don’t understand,” I grumbled. “I’m not impressed you felt it was necessary to attack me from behind. My marefriend has a nasty concussion thanks to you and your fellow thugs.”

“You’ve been unconscious; how could you know?” She replied dismissively. “For what it’s worth, last I heard she was conscious and recovering. Still, I have to say, I’m rather disgusted at what I saw. You’ll have to get over any delusions about seeing that pathetic horn head again.”

I was trying to stand up but it was difficult thanks to the manacles attached to all four of my hooves. They were joined together by short chains that would make it impossible to take anything other than shuffling steps. They were also hooked to the floor making escape impossible. It was excessive, especially given I had been unconscious the entire time. In spite of my desire to stay calm, I felt my temper rising at the racial slur targeting Sunset.

“If you lay a hoof on her again I’ll make sure you regret it,” I snapped. “Who do you think you are anyhow?”

“I’d like to see you try,” the mare in front of me replied coldly. “I am Lieutenant Amber Bloom of the Nightguard and faithful servant to the Goddess of the Moon. That’s all you need to know. You’ll learn your place in your tribe soon enough traitor.”

“You keep calling me that,” I hissed. “I don’t know what you think I betrayed but you’re wrong. I swore to serve Equestria after the effort the four princesses saved my life.”

Amber Bloom’s wings flared wide open and stomped over to me. The fur on her back was raised like a dog’s hackles. Her eyes flashed with anger and she looked ready to club me on the head again. Somehow she restrained herself but when she spoke again her voice was trembling with barely contained rage.”

“Your behavior and very existence are an affront to everything that makes us Thestrals,” She spat. “Your casual association with the sun and her minions is disgusting. Your dalliance with one of those arrogant hornheads makes a mockery of everything we were forced to sacrifice.”

I glared back at Amber Bloom but choked back any further replies. There wasn’t any use in letting her goad m. Twilight and Luna would protect Sunset until she could go back to the portal. I broke my gaze and stared off into space while she stomped off. I just stared off into space, wishing I had a clue what was coming. I tried to calm down, reminding myself that Twilight and Luna were nearby and this would be over soon.

I should have been paying more attention to what Amber Bloom was up to not that there was much I could have done about it. A chunk of fabric was abruptly forced over my face and around the back of my head. There was very little I could do to resist as a strap was pulled, locking my jaw closed. It was a muzzle and the anger I had been trying to suppress flared anew.

“MMMPHH!” I snarled through the cloth binding my jaw.

Amber Bloom had a look of cold amusement on her face. “That should take care of the mouth on you. The last thing our goddess needs to hear is your disrespectful attitude while they decide your fate. It’s time.”

She proceeded to grab the chain and dragged me on shuffling towards the exit. We walked out into the moonlit courtyard. It was exactly what I had seen through Luna’s eyes. I only had eyes for two mares. Twilight and Luna were standing side by side on the opposite side of the circle from where I entered. I focused entirely on their faces, ignoring the other ponies.

Twilight’s eyes were wide when she saw me shackled and muzzled. It looked like she was doing everything in her power to hold her tongue. She lifted her hoof to her chest and took several deep breaths but it didn’t seem to help much. Honestly, I think it was only Luna’s presence that stopped her from doing something rash. I was dragged unceremoniously into the middle of the courtyard. Luna’s expression was far harder to read as she watched me. If anything, she looked almost disappointed. Behind me, I heard Amber Bloom walking away and a new pony stepping out of the circle.

“Standing before you is the vilest betrayal of our sacred laws ever witnessed,” Shadow Dancer declared passionately as she walked out into the courtyard. “You have all heard the rumors that an unknown adult Thestral had been discovered. In contravention of the treaty we signed with the Sun, he was not turned over to us upon discovery. Instead, this pathetic specimen was observed casually associating with the solar nobility at one of their decadent parties.”

I shouldn’t have been surprised it was Shadow Dancer. She seemed like a born politician, casting me as a villain’s role while I couldn’t respond. She was circling me like a shark but I just did my best to ignore her. I kept my eyes firmly fixed on Twilight and Luna, doing my best to not make things worse than I already had by arguing with Amber.

“Worse still, he was also witnessed interacting romantically with a Unicorn,” She continued. “How a Thestral could be enamored with the most arrogant and judgmental of the Solars is beyond me.”

There were murmurs of surprise from gathered Thestrals. I heard at least one of them make a snide comment about my violation of the sanctity of the tribal oath. I saw Twilight’s mouth open and close a couple times when she heard that accusation. Then her shoulders drooped and she actually hung her head with what almost looked like shame. I found myself hoping that she didn’t believe those words applied to her. There wasn’t much I could do to reassure her from where I was standing; I just stood silently, waiting to hear what this kangaroo court was going to do next.

“It is also likely to also report this pony is obviously a half-breed,” she said. “We have not found a Thestral born of two Solar parents in three hundred years. There is no doubt this one’s very existence is the result of a violation of the Oath we all hold sacred. If we track the pony responsible down, they will be held to account as well.”

The other Thestrals began discussing the nature of my supposed crimes while Shadow Dancer continued her slow pace around the circle. When she was just beside my ear I heard her whisper so quietly it was almost just a breath. If I hadn’t been a Thestral I would have missed it.

If I have my way, you’ll be gelded you oathbreaking mongrel.

Her voice was dripping with menace, an incredible feat for such a quiet whisper. I had never imagined a whisper could be so quiet but there was no doubt I was the only one to hear it. None of the other Thestrals heard her words. I turned my head sharply to look at her and felt my fear growing when I saw the flat expression on her face. There was no joy or gloating in her expression; just a calm assessment of my fate like I was no more than a bug under a magnifying glass. I tried to keep my cool but there was nothing I could do to stop my heard from racing.

“Doesn’t he get a chance to speak for himself?” Twilight whispered to Luna as the discussions began to wrap up.

I could tell Twilight was trying to be as quiet as possible. Unfortunately, she was in a courtyard with a group of Thestrals. The reaction of the assembled ponies was a clear sign that my senses were far from abnormal. All eyes turned and focused on her while the pony named Shadow Dancer let out an irritated huff. Twilight shuffled her hooves nervously.

“We will forgive your ignorance due to the part you played in restoring our goddess and the respect you have shown thus far,” Ice Raven replied calmly. “You must understand this stallion’s actions are a violation of our most sacred oath. Every single Thestral took the oath and every generation has done so without fail for a thousand years, binding ourselves and our descendants to the pact.”

Twilight looked worried by their response. “He knows nothing of your laws. Is that not sufficient cause for mercy?”

“Ignorance of our laws is a failure of his ancestors,” Moonlight Glow interjected. “If they did not teach him, it is our responsibility to correct their error. However, he must still accept his responsibility to learn the truth once he is assigned a refuge. We are not cruel; it is simply our way to ensure our tribe and identity survives. As a guest in our midst, I would ask that you respect that Twilight Sparkle. The only task that remains is for us to identify his closest kin so they may apply the discipline they feel is justified.”

The other Thestrals I could see nodded. Before Twilight could protest, another spoke. “It has been our most important law since Princess Luna was banished,” Silent Blade began to explain. “It all began we lost-”

“Enough!” Shadow Dancer interrupted angrily from behind me. “Waste your time bending the oath to the breaking point just to educate the Sun’s sycophant when this conclave is finished! Let us get this last formality out of the way so we can move on.”

I spun around to see what was going on. She was standing behind me, the anger visible in her expression now. A glint of metal in the moonlight drew my eye to her hoof and I felt my blood run cold. I couldn’t make out the exact details but the shape was frighteningly familiar. Any doubts about the origin of the Sakitan Dagger were wiped away in an instant. I began struggling against my bonds but there was nowhere I could go.

“Don’t!” I managed to gasp through my clenched teeth as the dagger pricked me in the shoulder.

“It’s just a tiny cut,” she spat. “You really are a pathetic specimen.”

I couldn’t inform her that the last dagger I encountered could have killed me with a wound like this. While I fought to get my heart to stop racing, Shadow Dancer walked to the middle of the decorative pattern of the courtyard. She lifted the dagger high, the damp surface almost glowing in the moonlight.

“Blade of Ancestors, be true this night,” she intoned. “A lost soul needs you to show the way home.”

Then she slammed the knife right into the center of the circle. The darker stone making up the circle and star pattern began to glow faintly as streams of light flowed out through the obsidian.

“What kind of magic is this Luna?” Twilight whispered.

“Tis a bloodline ritual,” Princess Luna replied in a melancholy voice. “There is a similar spell available to unicorns now but the ritual is far less limited. Any being with the appropriate knowledge and key can activate these spells. In this case, the dagger is the core of the ritual. Tis tragic nopony alive today has the knowledge to craft these rituals. T’was all lost after my banishment along with the creators. I am impressed it has stood the test of time.”

“If it weren’t for the circumstances, I’d want to study it,” Twilight murmured. “We cleared debris this area but I had no idea the pattern was important. Now I just hope this works out the way you hope.”

As it reached the outer edge, motes of light like fireflies floated up and began gliding around the room. They drew my gaze and I followed them as they swirled around the room. One by one, they began to drift towards the Thestrals I could see who began to glow faintly. I heard several confused questions from the ponies present as the majority of the fireflies seemed to be avoiding the Thestrals. The confusion turned to shock as they shot past me, towards the twelve point on the circle. Towards where Twilight and Luna stood.

“Princess Luna, what is going on?” Twilight asked frantically.

I turned slowly around to look back at my marefriend and froze when I saw Princess Luna glowing incandescently as the vast majority of the motes of light settled on her mane and back. She was frozen like a statue with her eyes wide open and staring straight at me and her face looked like it had gone pale which was no small feat through her fur.

“This . . . Tis not possible,” Luna said slowly.

Shadow Dancer stormed over to face Princess Luna and Twilight. “What is this nonsense my goddess!? A divine being such as yourself does not bear foals and certainly couldn’t be kin to this blight. Is something interfering with the ritual . . . Or somepony! Was it YOU?”

Those last words were directed at Twilight who back up as the angry mare approached. She stopped short when Luna’s wings spread threateningly. Whatever had her frozen had ceased the moment Twilight was threatened.

Cease thine baseless accusations!” Luna commanded. “Princess Twilight has behaved with exemplary patience while watching your torment of Silver Spark. Remove the restraints from my student, NOW!

Luna put the force of the Royal Canterlot Voice behind the last words, sending several Thestrals hurrying over to undo my restraints. I felt the shackles loosen around my legs but I barely noticed. I was watching Princess Luna trying to figure out what was on her mind. Luna was still staring right back at me like she had never seen me before. Twilight looked even more confused and frantic.

“You said he couldn’t be related to anypony here! How could Silver be related to you of all ponies?” Twilight begged again.

“I must reluctantly agree with your guest,” Dust Storm chimed in. “A foal born to the goddess of the night would have been a celebrated event. There is no such story in our history.”

“Bring out the Test,” Luna said sternly to the gathered Thestrals, ignoring all the questions.

Four of the gathered ponies galloped off into the castle without hesitation. Luna had taken a few steps out on to the plaza but she seemed reluctant to get any closer. She was standing tall and confident on the surface but there was something in her eyes that told me Luna was seriously rattled. I had never seen such fear on her face.

“My goddess, we have not Test of Steel in centuries,” Opal Wind said quietly. “Thousands were tested over the centuries with no success. Arcane Vision was exceptionally skilled in her work.”

“Arcane Vision?!” Twilight asked, enthusiastically. “The last Archmage of Canterlot, a talented researcher and according to some, an actual seer who received actual visions of the future. She was the pony who actually wrote the prophecy about Luna’s return. Actually, she was archmage when you were banished, wasn’t she Luna? The history books indicate Arcane Vision also invented a number of spells, including the bloodline spell Luna-”

Shadow Dancer interrupted Twilight’s excited rant with a loud stomp of her hoof. “Do your valuable history books mention her war crimes? Do they tell you about her using her talent to organize an execution that dwarfed the number of Thestrals lost during the actual fighting? That she invented the bloodline spell specifically to identify her targets? Taking our goddess wasn’t enough for her; the blood of over a thousand Thestrals was the price she demanded in return for peace.”

Twilight looked like she had been slapped. “No, that can’t be right, can it Luna? Please tell me she’s wrong.”

Princess Luna continued watching me intently but she did speak now. “Arcane Vision was a dear friend, perhaps the only member of Celestia’s court who treated all ponies with respect. I did not know the fate of my Thestrals until after you purged the Nightmare. T’was one of the reasons I stayed in seclusion for over a year after you freed me. I was mourning the loss of my- my-”

Luna’s voice suddenly cracked. She paused to compose herself like she was trying desperately to avoid talking about something. My only guess was the malfunctioning spell reminded her of something that hurt her to her very core. Thinking about it, Princess Luna had been very guarded when talking about her past. After a deep breath she continued, her voice hardened.

“She used her exceptional magical skill to identify every member of a single bloodline with horrifying accuracy. Not one pony, not even an infant foal escaped her purge. That is what Arcane Vision told my sister and what I have believed since the day I returned.”

Twilight and I were speechless as we both stared at Luna. The whole situation had become overwhelming and I might have been going into shock. I simply couldn’t figure out what was going on and so I just stood there like a frozen statue. I was reluctant to move considering I was surrounded by hostile ponies who could easily outmaneuver me. I was loose from my bindings but I was far from free.

A loud clank behind me drew everyone’s attention. A suit of armor made mostly of an iridescent purple metal had been brought out on a display stand. It was similar to the armor worn by the three guards who had attacked me but their armor was clearly ceremonial. My experience making armor with my father told me this was combat armor. The plate portion of the armor covered the legs and a chainmail layer would wrap completely around the stomach of the wearer. Unlike the armor I saw the day and night guards wearing in Canterlot, this helmet had no crest or adornments that could be grabbed or hooked with weapons.

Speaking of weapons, the front boots had a pair of eerily familiar claws hinged onto them. They were nearly identical to the ones Spark had conjured during one of our many dreams. There were even blades as part of the armor that would cover the leading edge of my wings, complete with a nasty cap over the bone spur on my wing tip. Luna’s cutie mark was displayed prominently in several places on the armor including the center of the chest piece. It was also quite obvious this armor would never fit me; it was built for a pony closer to the stature of the other Thestrals.

Even though it wouldn’t fit, the craftsmanship was absolutely stupendous and I couldn’t help staring at it. It was a set armor of the quality my father and I dreamed of making someday. The very sight briefly calmed my mind as I silently wished the armor was actually the right size for me to wear. I was so entranced by the armor I failed to notice what was going on around me.

“Let’s get this farce over with,” Shadow Dancer growled.

I turned to look at her and felt my heart stop. Shadow Dancer had retrieved the dagger from the center of the ritual circle and was walking towards me. It was raised high and she was mere moments away from stabbing me again. I still maintain that my reaction was completely appropriate.

GET AWAY FROM ME YOU LUNATIC!” I howled, while clumsily scrabbling back towards Luna and Twilight.

I barely registered Shadow Dancer and the other Thestrals stumbling backward from the force of my shouting. I was so terrified that she was going to stab me again, for a moment I couldn’t even sort out which body I was in. I only made it a few paces before the conflict between bipedal and quadrupedal instincts sent me tumbling to the ground. I was shaking like a leaf and felt like I was about to pass out. Then a comforting wing was draped over my back and I opened my eyes to find Luna had rushed over to me. She looked up at the gathering with a cold expression on her face.

“Drop the knife and do not move another step closer,” she growled. “Thine callous attitude disappoints me, Shadow Dancer.”

Shadow Dancer stumbled back like she’d be slapped and the dagger hit the ground beside her with a clang. Every Thestral present froze at her command. I was shivering but did my best to compose myself in my feathery refuge. I took a deep breath and looked up at my mentor.

“W-What is going on Luna?” I stuttered.

“I am sorry Silver,” she replied, her expression softening as she turned back to me. “I must beg thine forgiveness for my slow reaction and for the choices of my Thestrals. I had no choice once they took you; our path was limited by a morass of treaties and laws signed while I was banished. Still, I did not know you would be treated with such vile disrespect.”

I took her, slumped shoulder and drooping wings. “You didn’t know if this was going to work out, did you?” I asked.

She sighed. “No, I didn’t. I hoped the ritual would fail because of your home but it was only a faint hope. I could not change the outcome if it succeeded.”

I didn’t know what to say to that so I turned my attention to the stone floor in front of me. I traced a vein of quartz in one of the stones with my eyes until Luna spoke again.

“Do we still have your trust, my student?” She asked quietly. “I will understand if you do not.”

I looked back into Luna’s eyes, startled to see her normal ageless composure was gone. Her eyes were misty as she looked back. I thought about who she was. She was the princess who saved my life and the life of my marefriend. One of the princesses of a nation who had taken the time to teach me, a completely average human from Manhattan about the strange abilities had developed.

“I do, Luna,” I replied after only a moment hesitation. “I’m not happy about how this has gone but you’re still my mentor. You’ve never given me a reason to doubt you. So answer this; why does the spell think I’m related to you? It can’t be true, can it?”

She sighed. “It is possible that my attempt to excise the Sakitan curse left a lasting mark. I am far from certain if I emphasized how badly damaged your soul was and you are the first survivor. There is a possibility your soul simply absorbed so much of my magic while healing a bond formed between us. Your accidental use of the Canterlot voice could be one side effect along with your other magical abilities.”

“I’m not sure that’s possible,” Twilight muttered. “Magic signatures are incredibly complex and to alter someone’s identity at a fundamental-”

Luna sighed and looked over at Twilight, shaking her head. Twilight squeaked out a quiet sorry and stopped speaking. Luna turned back to me.

“Still, there is another possibility but I fear the pain of speaking it aloud,” She continued quietly. “I had accepted this consequence of my actions and buried it as deeply as I could. When the ritual made its choice . . . I wish only to determine the truth beyond any doubt. I did not consider your feelings in my fear and excitement. Nor did I think to explain that you have a choice. T’was a foalish mistake.”

“Luna . . . I forgive you,” I said quietly. “So . . . what are my options?”

Her horn ignited in a pale blue aura, levitating the blade over to sit beside her. “If thou are weary and desire only escape, we shall depart without another word on the matter. According to Thestral Law, I am your guardian in this world and none will harm you again. Or . . .”

I eyed the dagger nervously, like it was a coiled snake and then back Luna as she trailed off. “What is the other option?”

She looked over at the armor, her eyes misty as if she was seeing something else. “Your shoulder continues to bleed. Place a mote of that lifeblood on your hoof and place said hoof on the armor squarely on my emblem. No matter the outcome, we will still leave this place uncontested.”

I was sorely tempted to take the first option as I got up on my hooves. Her words reminded me of the slice in my shoulder, making it being to sting. Before I came to a decision, I felt a warm presence by my side. Twilight had walked over and was looking at me with a distraught expression on her face. In spite of the obvious hostility from the gathered ponies, she leaned in and nuzzled my cheek comfortingly. I ignored the harsh whispers coming from the surrounding Thestrals and turned to kiss her on the forehead just below her horn.

“I don’t like what’s going on and how you’re being treated,” Twilight fumed. “Just tell me what you want to happen, what you need. Say the word and we’ll teleport home right now.”

I shuddered as I looked over at the dagger and the armor. My mind was racing as Spark and I both tried to figure out what to do. There were only a few people in the two worlds I truly trusted. Luna was still among them but I wasn’t certain how much further that trust would extend. Then I took a deep breath and began to take halting steps over towards the armor.

“I want answers,” I said, trying to hide my nervousness. “Every time I think I’m getting close, there’s another question. Another mystery. The box, my magic, none of it makes sense. Just once, I want a real answer even if it’s to a question I never asked. If this is what it takes to get something concrete, so be it.”

Agreed. Do it.

I pressed my hoof against the wound, wincing from the pain and then placed my hoof on the emblem, exactly as I had been instructed. I ran my hoof over it to make sure the contact, It was strangely warm to the touch. I stood there for what seemed like ages while nothing happened. It wasn’t until I put my hoof down that I noticed something odd. The emblem on the armor was perfectly clean when it should have been stained red. I frowned and examined my hoof which was also clean. I looked down at my shoulder, trying to figure out if I had missed the wound somehow when Spark spoke up again.

Silver . . . what did you do?
Exactly what I was told to do. Nothing happened.
Hmmm, no, something happened all right. Can’t you feel that?
Really? What are you feeling Spark?

Spark appeared in my vision, standing next to the armor. It amused me knowing it bordered on insanity to see my split personality walking around. He smacked his hoof against it hard, making a loud metallic clank. I assumed it was just my imagination filling in the gaps until heard the startled mutters from the gathered Thestrals and Twilight. That sound had been as real. As real as if Spark was standing right in front of me in the real world. As far as anyone else would have seen, it’s like a ghost just smacked the armor. Spark was completely oblivious to what he had just done as he examined the armor closer.

Hey, now this is interesting.

“Spark? What? How are you do. . . ing . . . that?”

I trailed off in disbelief as Spark walked through the armor. The whole thing shook slightly as he slipped into the space occupied by the armor stand. His height changed as he shifted around, as he tried to fit into the armor. Every movement made the metal flicker with magic. By the time he had settled into a proper size, the armor was as insubstantial as Spark was. Then Spark vanished, returning to his place in my mind like normal. As far as everyone else could see, the armor had just disintegrated into nothingness, leaving just an empty armor stand.

What have you done Spark?!
Made myself a copy. I’ve never been able to get a feel for a real-world object like that without your help.
A copy? Wait but-
This is a sweet set of gear! I couldn’t have imagined something better.
Ummm, Spark-
It’s a crying shame the real thing won’t fit you. This fits like a second skin.
Spark, I think you’re wearing the real armor. It’s disappeared.
Wait, what?

An eerie howl pulled me out of my conversation and put me on the defensive. It almost sounded like the horrible scream I had unleashed at Diamond Tiara but without the volume, I had with the Canterlot Voice. Shadow Dancer’s face was turned skywards as the keening howl escaped her mouth. When it stopped, she turned to glare at me, her face contorted with rage.

“NO SUN LOVING MONGREL WILL RULE OVER OUR TRIBE!” She screamed as she charged at me with her fangs bared.

I was already on guard from the scream but the completely bizarre statement made me hesitate for just a moment. That hesitation cost me valuable moments as Shadow Dancer rushed towards me. With a beat of our wings, we vaulted to the left in vain attempt to dodge. Shadow Dancer was far more experienced and matched our move with ease. At that moment, the sheer stress I was under finally pushed me and Spark into sync. It was a state we always strived for in battle since everything just came easier when we worked as one.

Then several things happened in a single moment. I felt a strange weight on my shoulders that slowed my move to block her attack. Shadow Dancer had already anticipated and was moving to dodge so she could strike me. A purple barrier flared into existence between the two of us just as we were about to engage. My arm slammed into the shield at the same time as Shadow Dancer bounced off the other side. The impact of my punch came with an unpleasantly loud screeching noise and a shower of sparks. Twilight gasped from the impact but her shield still held firm.

I was breathing heavily as I bounced back from the shield, ready to defend myself. I glanced down at my hoof to see what caused the sparks and froze. Iridescent metal boots and leggings had somehow appeared on my body, with the blades unfolded. They must have been the source of the sparks but I couldn’t understand how I was suddenly wearing the armor. I twisted around and found my body was encased in the very armor that had followed Spark to the Astral Realm. It somehow fit me perfectly now and the formerly empty flank of the armor was now decorated with my cutie mark.

I felt a presence behind me and turned quickly around to defend myself. I was relieved to see it was only Luna and Twilight. Luna’s eyes were brimming with tears and Twilight looked like she was itching to ask a million questions. Then I noticed there were about three times as many Thestrals in the courtyard. I couldn’t even begin to guess where they had come from. They might have been guards and traveling companions to the eight representatives but I had no idea where they had been hiding. Several had restrained Shadow Dancer while others almost looked like they were bowing to us.

The armor dissolved off my body as easily as my magic departed while I was human. I looked at my now bare hooves and shook my head.

“I don’t know how much more of this can take,” I sighed.

Luna knelt down and wrapped her hooves around my shoulders. She pulled me into a bone-crushing hug, speaking in the old style.

“Tis no doubt remaining; thou art a descendant of myself and Steel Rain!” Luna cheered. “Thou art fifteen centuries removed but our magic never forgets. Only our descendants could bond with the armor. I do not know how your ancestors escaped Arcane Vision’s deadly purge but you did. Oh, happy day!”

“What?” Was the only word I managed to whisper as my mind locked up.

I watched the other Thestral’s startled reactions with detached calm as my emotions raged inside. On the other side of the shield, Dust Storm stood up and cleared his throat. “My goddess, we all rejoice that the lost bloodline of Steel Rain has been miraculously returned. However, I am certain the mother of Steel Rain’s children was a Thestral mare named Evening Tide.”

“Yes, that was the name his mate used,” Luna confirmed. “However, I was and always have been Evening Tide. T’was a disguise to conceal the identity of our foals. A necessary deception to provide a relatively normal life. They did not need the burden of being the children of a goddess on top of their other responsibilities.”

“You had foals, Princess Luna?” Twilight breathed in surprise.

“Twin Thestrals, a filly and a colt who I loved as much as my husband,” Luna replied. “Nopony knew their true parentage but myself and Steel Rain. There were far too many reasons for the secrecy in the face of rampant tribalism we had barely begun to temper and the political attitudes of Starswirl and my sister.”

The gathering of Thestrals descended into chaos as the voices of the new arrivals clamored for attention and answers. The voices were becoming a droning cacophony but I still picked out some troubling comments.

“So it’s true?”

“Our Lord has returned?”

“After a thousand years, the line of Steel is reforged?!”

“A descendant of our Goddess and the Lord of Steel will lead us!”

“No, no, hell no!” I interrupted the crowd loudly. “I am absolutely done here. All I plan on doing is making a stop in Canterlot before I head home.”

Shadow Dancer glowered at me from where she was restrained. “You would choose those treacherous Solar ponies over-”

“Oh shut up you arrogant nut case!” I snapped, interrupting her. “You’re one to talk about treacherous after your bullshit. You can’t seem to decide if you want to geld me, murder me, or put me in charge. I don’t want to stay within a league of somepony that unstable.”

“But you’re the reforged chain,” A stallion in Nightguard armor protested nervously. “Luna is our goddess but we gave your family our oath as well. You can’t abandon us!”

Their belief that I belonged to them was grating on me. “You think I owe you something just because I might be distantly related to a Thestral legend?” I said harshly. “Like I said, bloody hell no!”

“But the oath . . . we promised to stay away from other ponies,” Another mare chimed in, somepony who had arrived. “We promised to wait until you returned! What do we do now?”

“Why are we still talking about this?” I seethed, pressing my hoof to my face before looking the mare in the eye. “You don’t owe me anything either; just be done with it. This oath you are obsessed with has served its purpose so let it go already! What are you trying to prove after a thousand years in isolation? Most of the other ponies in Equestria don’t even know what a Thestral is! All you’re doing is isolating yourselves into extinction.”

“Thestralkind is doing just fine!” Shadow Dancer snapped defensively.

“You just can’t shut up, can you?” I sighed. “Twilight, what’s the current population of Unicorns, Pegasi and Earth Ponies in Equestria?”

Twilight’s mouth moved a few times as she did the calculations in her head. “The last census came to nearly 80 million citizens in Equestria but that includes all the sapient species. Leaving out the other species leaves about 50 million ponies. That’s just an estimate though, I can get more accurate numbers when we get home.”

“It’s fine Twilight, I think you’ve made my point,” I said, glaring at Shadow Dancer before scanning the room. “I am not the pony you were expecting. I’ll return the armor as soon as I figure out how to remove it.”

“Nay, it is yours by right,” Moonlight Glow said softly. “Bonded Lunar Armor remains one with the bearer as long as they live.”

“Fine but I won’t hold you to that,” I replied, turning to Luna. “Can we leave now? Please? I want to deal with something simple and straightforward. Stopping Blueblood from wrecking my relationships in front of half of Canterlot feels positively mundane.”

The room had gone dead silent so I turned to my only allies in the room. I felt completely wiped out. The forced speech and the intense attention focused on me was making me anxious. I turned to my mentor, pushing my remaining confusion aside for later in favor of just ending this insanity.

“Of course,” she replied, gesturing towards one of the arched doors with her wing. “My chariot awaits at the front of the castle. You can rest during the flight back to Canterlot. I will join you in a moment.”

“Excellent,” I said wearily.

I turned in the direction she gestured and paused. The Thestral that had crowded around us melted away, leaving a path. None of the gathered ponies were willing to stop me anymore. I looked over at Twilight and lifted my wing.

“Walk with me sweetheart?” I asked quietly.

Twilight smiled and walked under my wing which I wrapped around her back. I was lost in thought as we made the slow walk through the broken palace to the front courtyard. My mind was still reeling from what happened. I wasn’t entirely convinced the spell or armor were correct. Related to Luna and Steel Rain’s pony counterpart? It was a ridiculous claim but at least it got me out of the clutches of the Thestrals. I didn't object to the possibility, it just seemed farfetched.

The Thestral’s hooked to the carriage didn’t say a word to me but just waited stoically until Luna joined us. She gave the order for them to fly and settled in. Moments later, we were in the air soaring over the dark forest towards Canterlot. The flight was silent while I pretended to sleep. It wasn’t going to happen though, there were too many thoughts rolling around in my head.

Author's Note:

Whew, I finally made it to this point. This chapter was a quite a job to write and even harder to publish. It wound up much longer than I intended originally but I decided it was better this than another cliffhanger. As I mentioned in my recent blog, I'm simultaneously excited and worried about this chapter. This one is a milestone in my outline since it introduces a lot of my own worldbuilding to the story. I'm curious and nervous about how you're all going to react to what was revealed in this chapter.

On a less panicky note, I spent quite a bit of time looking at the map of Equestria to decide where to put the Thestral Havens. There are some interesting little tidbits labeled on the map that haven't come up during the show yet. You can click this link to see the one I used if you're curious. You might be able to guess where a few of them are.

The description of Luna's gala dress was based on this lovely drawing by selinmarsou. I like how it is a modification of her traditional regalia.

PreviousChapters Next