• Published 13th Sep 2016
  • 8,991 Views, 506 Comments

Finding a Place - Battlecat



Moving to Canterlot was supposed give Silver Spark a chance to begin again. So far that hasn't worked out.

  • ...
16
 506
 8,991

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 17 - To Trick

Monday October 31, 2016

Right on the edge of downtown Canterlot, there is a large park that is divided in half by a major road. It's an oasis in the City that is apparently quite popular. Many years ago, a tunnel was built under the main road to create a safe route between the two parks. Even though it was convenient there wasn't usually a huge amount of traffic so we had chosen this location for the prank. It just so happened this was one potential route back to Rarity's shop from where the girls were trick or treating this year so Fluttershy and Sunset would simply make sure the group came this way.

I was sitting on a bench beside the tunnel entrance decked out in my full armor and marveling at the beauty of this night. It was clear and incredibly dark thanks to the new moon which left the stars as brilliant pinpricks of white on a black canvas. The small groups did come through the tunnel fairly frequently. Some even asked for pictures of me posing with my battleaxe once they got over the initial shock. It had been easy enough to avoid joining the girl’s Halloween plans by simply skipping school that day. They thought I was sick and I just promised I would join them later if I felt better or call them for help if I needed it.

The planned prank was rather simple; inspired by some rather awful videos Sunset and I had found on the internet involving a dog dressed up as a spider and one where a guy used practical effects to make it look like he was a telekinetic priest. So I had a manikin dressed in ratty clothes with a balloon overfilled with fake blood in the neck that would play the part of the victim. I had covered up some of the lights in the tunnel with duct tape to make it easier to fool Dash.

When the girls reached the far end of the tunnel I would behead the 'victim' with a particularly vicious looking battleaxe and then I would notice them. I was going to come stomping down the poorly lit tunnel with glowing eyes and what looked like a blood soaked axe. The best part was, Fluttershy was going to stand her ground as I approached since she knew exactly what was coming. Sunset was going to whip up a bit of extra hysteria to help drive the others over the edge. It was amazing what a bit of teamwork could potentially do.

Silver, this is boring.
Be patient Spark. It’ll be worth it.
I know. Still bored.

Static crackled in my ears indicating the girls were getting close. Sunset was carrying the transmitter from the haunted house rig and I would be able to clearly hear the girls once they were in range. We had determined I wouldn't pick up the transmitter until they were in the park itself but it would give me more than enough time to prepare. The radio crackled again and I heard some clear words between static. The hair on my neck began to prickle as the words came through.

“ksshh following us sssssshs trouble Kkksh”

“hhsss not good. They psssss hurt you sssss”

“hssssssssss right there. You’re ksssshhhh”

“Sssssss help. Call pssssssss”

“Kshh hands where I can sstkssst. Time to ssssksh”

I clearly heard Rarity and Sunset speaking but there were voices I couldn't recognize speaking as well. The few words I could hear suggested there was trouble.

Something is wrong Spark.
You might be right.
We just need to get close enough to hear.

“Ssssskhh are surrounded. There's nowhere to ksssshhhh.”

The voices I didn’t recognize were my concern considering how threatening they sounded. I slipped my ax over my shoulder into the sheath and began to jog down the tunnel. I was struggling to keep my speed up before I even reached the far end of the tunnel. The armor had been built as a costume, not for practical use and it wasn't as easy to move in as proper armor. It was heavy with extra pieces to make it more frightening and it also wasn't designed to be easy to remove.

There's no way we can make it Spark. This armor wasn't designed for travel.
We have to do it Silver. There must be a way.
I can't lose my friends. What are we going to do?
I don't know.

“hhsss kill it. kshssshss hsshsss”

Time was not on my side as the ominous fragments of angry conversation trickled into my headphones. I needed to be stronger and faster than I had ever been if was going to make sure my friends were safe. They were somewhere in this massive park in trouble and I had no idea how I would even find them. Just as despair was beginning to seep in another voice bubbled up in my memory, so faint I almost missed it.

You're stronger together.
Dad? What?

I was confused for a moment as I considered that words but then understanding flooded my soul as I realized the true meaning of that phrase. Time seemed to slow down as I closed my eyes and began visualizing the scene like I did when releasing tension on the school roof. Spark's equine form appeared in my mind's eye as a ghostly form standing next to me on the pathway. His wings were raised ready to fly and a clear sign of his internal frustration. The anger and worry were clear on his face but it became confusion when our eyes met unexpectedly.

Silver? How did you do this?
I'm not sure but I think I know what we can do!
What? Spit it out!
In our dream on the anniversary day. Dad said we're stronger together.
What do you think it means Silver?
Our Thestral eyes appeared when we rushed in to defend Sunset.
You’re right. The ears showed up when we were escaping Gilda the other day!
Exactly. Two times in our life we were working together properly.
Could it really be that easy Silver?
Yes! I think that's the answer. ‘WE’ can do this Spark if you're willing.
I always have been. If I can help I am with you brother.

A ghostly hoof reached out and grasped my corporeal hand and a green glow of energy wrapped around our arms. I felt a surge of energy through my body and my eyes flew opened from the shock. At that moment a forest green glow was surrounding me and I felt my body begin to change as the magic coursed through my body.

The nearly pitch black night began to brighten until it was more like a cloudy day as my eyes changed and I felt canines grew longer in my mouth. The earphones I was wearing slipped off the side of my head when my human ears vanished, replaced by Thestral ears sprouting on top of my head. Suddenly the silent night was filled with car engines, laughing children and the sounds of Halloween fun. It felt like I had just walked into a convention hall. I tried to process the overwhelming increase in information when a familiar voice caught my attention out of the chaos.

“All you have to do is give up the demon and we'll get our justice. Is that so hard Dash?”

“GILDA?” I snarled out loud.

We have to fly Silver!

I looked over my shoulder realizing a pair of dark blue bat wings coated in velvet fur were folded up behind an extra two feet of hair that had sprouted in. They had grown through my armor on my back and grinned as they twitched in response to my thoughts. I recalled my experience flying with Pony Dash and the many nights Spark spent soaring around our mind and simply let instinct take over. I spread my wings wide and with a loud crack I easily took off in spite of the weight of the armor and weapons I was wearing. When I was higher than the tree tops I swiveled my ears to get a direction to the girls.

“It's Rainbow Dash to you, Gilda. You lost the right to call me anything else. We're not abandoning our friend.”

There was a burst of worry about what was happening but I was grateful to hear they were standing by Sunset. I easily deduced a direction and with a couple more beats of my wings, I shot off in their direction.

“Why are you even defending that thing?”

The park was partially forested and poorly lit but that didn't matter to my eyes anymore. I could clearly see the girls in their costumes standing close together surrounded by Gilda and her gang in a dimly lit path in a clear space between the trees. With Score, his two friends and four other large guys, there were nine of them in total. They seemed so far away as I winged my way in their direction

“You don't have to do this Rainbow,” said Sunset. “Go before the rest of you get hurt. I can take this.”

“No Sunset,” Fluttershy whimpered. “Silver was right. This won’t solve anything.”

Faster!

As I flew closer, I could see the girls were ready to defend themselves. Rainbow Dash and Applejack had their fists up but half of the gang members were carrying clubs. Sunset looked resigned and ready to give up with her hands hanging by her side listlessly. Pinkie had a defiant expression and her hands in her pockets while Fluttershy and Rarity looked absolutely terrified but also had their arms up defensively. Sweetie Belle, Applebloom, and Scootaloo were also in the middle of the group looked like they would try to fight if they had to.

“Oh, who said the rest of these lovelies could go?” said Score in a menacing tone. He lunged forward and grabbed Fluttershy by the wrist, pulling her over to him.

He wouldn't.
Come on Fluttershy, you can do it.

“I could use a bit of TLC,” he said. “I'm sure we can find a comfortable spot to get reacquainted Klutzershy. I think you'll be lovely warming my bed tonight.”

Fluttershy looked frozen with absolute terror at that moment and I felt a familiar rage threatening to consume me. My vision was turning red around the edges and I felt my magic falter for a moment.

I'M GONNA KILL HIM!!
Control Silver. We need control.
GAH! Right, protecting our friends. Sorry.
Focus.

The dark, hungry laughter from the other boys chilled me to the bone. “Save me a piece of that as well!” said one.

“That purple haired girl is mine,” added Hoops, hefting his club. “I'm gonna do her till she screams.”

They just cross the line.
Yes. Keep them safe.

Burning hot rage was replaced with cold determination. I flicked on the eyes of my costume and flew right overhead, as close to Score as possible. Fluttershy was whimpering as Score started to drag her out of the group. Hoops reached out to grab Rarity who took a step back. Dumb-bell and the other four were laughing while Rainbow Dash and Applejack looked like they were trying to figure out how to survive this and even the three Crusaders looked like they were going to fight back if they had to.

I fought off my rage and the urge to draw my battleaxe and began a steep dive towards the group. I opened my mouth then I almost lost control of my magic when the voice that came out of my mouth rolled through the night like thunder. It felt like I was shouting with more than one voice.

THOU HAST CHOSEN POORLY KNAVES. THE HOUR OF YOUR RECKONING HAS COME!

“What the . . .” said Gilda

Her's was the only vocal response before I cut everyone off as I hit the sidewalk with a massive crash of metal. I felt the armor bounce painfully against my body landed between Score and one club-wielding guy. I dropped into a crouch to absorb the impact and immediately backhanded the guy holding the club in the leg. There was a crunch as my metal bracer hit his cloth covered leg. He screamed in pain as he collapsed to the ground gasping for breath. I heard several screams of fear and winced as they rang through my overly sensitive ears.

Fluttershy took the moment of distraction to wrench her arm free from Score's grip just as I had taught her. She stumbled back and was caught by Sunset while I stood up to my full height. I spread my wings and glared into Score's face with my mask ablaze. On the dark pathway with the mask, all they could see was two burning eyes in an empty steel helmet exactly as designed. The massive bat wings on my back were spread wide causing everyone present to freeze momentarily at the sight.

THOU WOULDST ATTEMPT TO ASSAULT INNOCENTS FOR THINE PLEASURE?” I roared, as a sharp gust of wind blew down the path.

I could clearly see fear present in their faces, except Fluttershy and Sunset. They clearly recognized me although it was readily apparently my new appearance had them stunned as well. Thanks to their previous experience with magic, the girls burst into a flurry of action before Gilda's gang could arrive and the night descended into chaos. Rainbow and Applejack unleashed clean, quick punches into the faces of their opponents while Pinkie suddenly cackled manically and pulled two huge handfuls of something out of her pockets. She threw it into the face of one of the other large guys who stumbled back shouting with pain. Rarity's phone was already in her hand and she was dialing for help.

Score hadn’t moved yet, still staring at my inhuman eyes with frozen terror. I grabbed him by the lapel of his coat, lifted him up like he was a made of feathers and tossed him down the path and out of my way. I then turned my attention to another one of the unfamiliar guys they had recruited who was coming at me with his fist raised.

“Your silly cardboard armor and megaphone doesn't scare me!” he yelled. “I'll kill you monster!”

He then unleashed a powerful punch into my chest and I winced at the loud crunch as his hand hit the solid plate metal protecting my chest. His wrist buckled from the unexpected resistance and he dropped to the ground screaming in pain. I heard movement behind me and turned just in time to take a club in the chest rather than my wings. I gasped from the impact but I stood my ground while Hoops raised his club again and swung it at my head. I blocked it with my forearm this time and felt a brief bit of pain when the board hit my bracers with a clang. I adjusted my hand to grab the club and with a simple twist, I confiscated it. I then swung it around to block another club swinging in from the guy whose leg I had hit.

I took two steps over and loomed over Hoops and the other random twit. My empty face glared at them and my voice continued to come out bigger and louder than I thought humanly possible.

THOU WILT REGRET THINE TRANSGRESSIONS. YIELD. NOW.

One guy's eyes rolled into the back of his head and he dropped in a dead faint but Hoops wasn't frightened. He jumped forward, arms stretched outwards in a football tackle. I reacted instinctively and with a flap of my wings, I jumped over his head as he charged past me. With the mixed memories of my martial arts and Spark's flying guiding me, I used my wings to change my motion into a powerful spinning whip kick that sent my armored foot into Hoop's rib cage as he charged past. He flew sideways from the impact and collapsed on the pathway with a thud.

I turned to check on the girls and was extremely pleased with what I saw. Sunset had the guy with the broken wrist pinned by kneeling on his back. The three Crusaders were sitting on top Dumb-bell and the other guy Dash and Applejack had punched. Pinkie had apparently thrown some sort of powdery candy in one guy's face and he was on the ground in tears while she sat on top of him. Hoops and two of the other guys appeared to be out cold. Rarity was on the phone while holding Fluttershy close under her arm. Her eyes were fixed solidly on me and a small relieved smile graced her lips.

HELL YES!
Rock on girls. That’s the way to fight.

Fluttershy's eyes widened suddenly and she screamed. “BEHIND YOU!”

I began to turn around to face what was behind me but there was a clang of metal on metal and a sudden burst of pain in my shoulder. I grunted but fought through it as I spun around to face my opponent. Score was standing there with an empty hand and a shocked expression on his face. I didn't even pause my spin and simply extending my gauntlet-covered fist to backhand him in the side of the head without a second thought. He crumpled to the ground without another sound.

I hear the sound of footsteps pounding down the concrete path and I wasn't surprised to see Gilda and Lightning Dust running away into the darkness, abandoning their followers to their fate.

“GET BACK HERE GILDA!” Dash screamed.

She took off running after them before I could say anything. Applejack was just about to follow but paused when I handed the club to her, speaking with my normal voice and volume. For some reason, the Old English was still coming to me easier than my normal tone.

“Abide a moment to guard these knaves until the authorities arrive Lady Applejack. I shall return with Lady Dash post haste.”

Before anyone could respond I shot into the air with a couple powerful wing beats and flew down the path weaving through the trees. I easily caught up with Gilda and Lightning Dust and landed right in front of them. They tried to dodge but I reached my arms out, catching each of them with a clothesline. They tumbled to the ground just as Dash arrived. I pushed Lightning Dust to Rainbow Dash without a word before twisting Gilda's arm behind her back and scooping her up to her feet. Rainbow Dash quickly copied me and did the same to Lightning Dust.

I was fuming and on the verge of shouting again but I held myself in check. “You wouldst invite brutes to bring harm upon mine friends? Thou hast crossed the line just as I warned. ”

“Monster!” Gilda gasped. “Let me go!”

“We might seem the monster on the outside, but it is you who attacked innocents this night. NOW MARCH!

Dash and I hauled them back to the group. Sunset and Applejack were holding the clubs and standing over the seven boys who had seen better days. Rarity was on her phone talking to someone. Fluttershy had retreated a few feet away and was now being comforted by Pinkie. We dumped Gilda and Lightning Dust on the ground beside the others.

Time for a bit of extra intimidation.

Before Gilda or Lightning Dust could do anything, I reached over my back and pulled my enormous jagged battleaxe out of its holder. The sound of steel was unmistakable and everyone present froze at the sight of the massive blade. I growled one final ultimatum at the gang on the ground.

“I would prefer to keep my blade clean this night but you have tested my patience for the last time. This weapon lacks subtlety and precision so if you would like to keep your limbs attached to your bodies lay down on your faces, put your hands behind your backs and don't move another muscle.”

I watched with satisfaction as the conscious gang members immediately compiled, allowing my friends to get up on their feet and step back from the troublemakers. A weary voice echoed inside my mind.

I need to rest now Silver.
Thank you, Spark. I think we're good.
Well fought brother.
Couldn't have done it without you. Sleep well.

I took a deep breath and braced myself as I felt Spark retreat back into my mind. My wings dissolved in a shimmer of forest green sparkles and the night darkened back to near blackness. I was left drained from the effort but I held myself together and kept the axe at the ready. I ignored the burning pain in my shoulder along with my aching arm and chest where I had been hit with the club.

I saw the girls staring at me with uncertainty. Rainbow Dash walked cautiously over and stared into my concealed face with a club held at the ready.

“What are you?” she asked with a slight tremor in her voice. “Don't make me use this.”

I couldn't change my posture or position while keeping watch on the gang. Fortunately, I could hear police sirens were rapidly approaching. I could hear Rarity telling the dispatcher that the guy holding the massive axe was not hostile.

“Hi Dash," I replied weakly. "Surprise.”

“Silver?! What the hell was that?” she demanded.

“Later. I promise I'll explain Dash,” I replied gently. “First could one of you look at my back to see what's Score did? It's pretty painful.”

Fluttershy walked around behind me and gasped with horror. “Silver, there's a knife stuck in your shoulder.”

I glared at Score's prone figure, fighting against a wave of dizziness. “Bucking hell. I should have watched him more carefully. Leave it alone for now Flutters.”

“Oh my,” she whispered. “I hate this but you're right. As long as you're not feeling faint.”

“SERIOUSLY?” Scootaloo shouted. “You've been stabbed?! Pull it out!”

I grimaced at the pain as I tried to hold myself together. “I'm holding together for now, Fluttershy and I hear the sirens coming. Scootaloo, it has to stay in until the ambulance gets here. It is probably at least partially plugging the wound but unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the moisture I'm feeling on my back isn't water.”

“How are ya so calm about this?” asked Applebloom incredulously.

“I wish I could say this was the first time I'd gone through this,” I said sadly. "Also, staying focused while in pain is part of my training."

We could see the blue and red lights flashing through the trees. A police officer with white skin and two-toned blue hair jogged down the path with a powerful flashlight. He stopped and stared at the scene in complete disbelief. I could hear more sirens approaching and he had his hand covering his sidearm as he approached. He looked over at Rarity who was still holding her phone to her ear.

“What exactly is going on here?”

“This gang attacked us, Officer,” Rarity replied calmly and gestured at Score. “Fortunately our friend arrived in time to help us stop them before this one performed his vile intentions on Fluttershy here. I fear some of the others had vicious plans for us as well.”

Score had apparently regained consciousness and he growled out his defense from the ground. “You can't prove anything. It's your word against ours and these people attacked us for no reason officer.”

I looked over at Sunset hoping she had stuck with the plan. She had a grin on her face as she held up her phone and pressed play. Score voice was clearly audible as he began talking about hauling Fluttershy off to warm his bed.

Sunset's smile was huge. “To quote a particularly clever bunny: 'Actually, it's your word against yours.' I can transfer you the recording officer and I believe Fluttershy has a copy as well.”

“HE'S POSSESSED” Gilda screamed incoherently. “HE HAS GLOWING EYES, CAN'T YOU SEE.”

At the officer’s questioning glance I simply replied wearily. “It's just a costume with black mesh and red lights create the effect. I'd take the helmet off to show you but I have a knife stuck in my shoulder and I'd rather not knock it loose until there's a medic on the scene.”

His eyes widened at my response and quickly drew his sidearm. “Paramedics and backup are right behind me. I've got them covered now so for goodness sake sit down before you faint and hurt yourself worse.”

“Oh good . . .” I replied. My arms suddenly felt like lead and the path began to sway back and forth. I felt like I was on a boat in a storm and my head began to spin. I heard a clang as the axe hit the ground but I managed to carefully lower myself to the pavement instead of collapsing.

The officer had already his focus to the prone gang members, barking out orders. “Stay on the ground and don't move!”

I watched blankly as several more police officers came jogging onto the scene along with several paramedics. They began lifting up the gang members one at a time to cuff them while the paramedics checked over the worst injured, including Score. I let my injured arm hang loosely while I held myself in a sitting position with my other hand. Suddenly I felt fingers under my neck tugging at the strap of my helmet I looked over and found worried blue-green eyes staring into mine.

Sunset was quiet as she undid the strap holding my helmet on. When it was removed, I sighed.

“Everyone alright Sunset?” I asked her wearily.

“We all are safe thanks to you. You look terribly pale Silver.”

“I'll be ok, I'm pretty sure it's mostly exhaustion," I whispered. "I just tipped the odds in your favor, you all handled this incident extremely well.”

“Don't sell yourself short, this would have gone badly without you. You took four of them down all by yourself. Now, can you talk me through how to take this armor off you so this nice medic can patch up your knife wound?”

I looked up and realized there was a paramedic staring down at me with concern. I nodded and began instructing Sunset on where the straps were located and soon she slid the arm cover off to reveal the injury. He had managed to stab the knife right through the joint in the armor. It was actually an impressive accomplishment but it wouldn't have gotten through nearly as easily if the armor was properly built for combat.

There was a lot of blood on my back but fortunately, the actual wound was relatively shallow. The paramedic bandaged me up and I declined a ride to the hospital. When he finished up, Fluttershy walked over and knelt beside me. She pulled the glove off the hand of my uninjured arm and twined her fingers with mine with a comforting squeeze.

“The officer’s name is Shining Armor,” she whispered. I felt Sunset stiffen beside me and she inhaled sharply. It was clear she recognized the name.

“He's copying the audio recording off my phone now," Fluttershy continued without noticing Sunset's reaction. "He'd like your copy as well Sunset if that's alright with you. Are you going to be alright Silver? I was so scared when I saw the knife in you.”

“I'll be fine,” I replied. “It's a shallow cut and it's bandaged up now. It doesn't look like I'll even need stitches. You did really well there Fluttershy, exactly like I taught you.”

“I almost forgot how,” she replied, sounding ashamed. “I only remembered when you arrived.”

'You still remembered and did the escape perfectly,” I said, squeezing her fingers again. “You've only practiced the move a few times. We'll work on getting you using the escape moves more instinctively next. Not that I want to see you have to use those skill ever again but I want you to feel safe.”

“Thank you.”

Then I sighed despondently. “I guess the prank has kind of fallen through. So much for all that planning.”

“Oh, that's ok,” whispered Fluttershy. “You still scared Dashie stiff when you made your grand entrance so I'm satisfied. I don't want to think about what would have happened if you hadn't heard us.”

Sunset grimaced. “Yeah, that was way too close. I think I'd rather have you walking with us next time.”

“Agreed. I didn't even consider the possibility they'd try something like this when it's so busy out. There was a steady stream of people through the tunnel this evening.”

At that moment Officer Shining Armor came and sat down next to the three of us. He watched while the other officers hauled the last of the gang off and took statements from the other girls before looking over at me with a raised eyebrow.

“You know, we had a couple calls in about this incident shortly after your friend Rarity called in. There were some complaints about somebody screaming Shakespeare through a megaphone in the park. One of the calls was apparently from five blocks away so is there anything you want to add?”

I winced while I tried to find a decent answer that didn't come down to telling a police officer 'It was magic'.

“I completely lost my temper when I saw Score trying to drag Fluttershy off," I said quietly. "The use of old style English was a bit of a surprise to me, but I've been practicing to stay in character when wearing this gear. I didn't realize I could shout that loudly.”

“Well, you obviously restrained yourself when it came to the fight. We’d be cleaning these guys up with a mop if you’d been using that axe,” he said shaking his head. "Where did you get this armor and that gorgeous axe to go with it anyhow?"

"My father and I forged the whole works ourselves before he passed away last year."

"I'm sorry for your loss," he said wincing. "My compliments on the costume; it's some of the best work I've seen outside a comic convention."

"You're a fan of fantasy comics sir?"

“Yes I am," he said, then he cleared his throat. "Sorry, that was unprofessional. I will need you and your friends to come into the station in the morning to sign some paperwork and complete your official statements. You are all students at Canterlot High, correct?”

I raised my eyebrow at him from my position on my back. “Yes, that's correct Officer. Why do you ask?”

“My girlfriend's aunts are your Principal and Vice Principal so I'll be able to call and make arrangements for you to have the morning off. They've been quite concerned about the behavior of those two girls," he said, indicating Gilda and Lightning Dust as they were hauled down the path in handcuffs.

Could it be Cadence? She's their niece in Equestria.
Ugh. Stop thinking so loud.
Sorry about that.
Apology later. Sleeeep now.

“I'm not sure Gilda and Lightning were as in charge as first appeared,” I said thoughtfully. “They've only ever seemed interested in hurting Sunset. I think those two were genuinely surprised at Score's plan to sexually assault my friends.”

I felt Fluttershy tense her grip and she moved in closer beside me.

Shining Armor nodded at my statement. “That fits with everything else we've pieced together so far, I appreciate your honesty. I will phone Celestia tonight and arrange for all of you to have the morning off so you can come to the station and make full statements.”

“Sounds fair,” Sunset replied as a thoughtful look appeared on her face. “Could I ask you a totally unrelated question, sir?”

“Depends on the question Miss Shimmer.”

“I've been trying to do some extra credit research on causes of death in the Canterlot area but I'm a bit short on data. Where could I get more detailed records that might include extra details like exact dates, illness prior to death and official causes?”

Officer Armor looked thoughtful for a moment and then got up to his feet. “I believe those details are collated at the hospital by the morgue but I suppose that wouldn't be widely known. The data does have a price tag attached to it along with a pretty strict confidentiality agreement but I'm pretty sure that's the place to get it.”

“Thank you, sir!” Sunset replied cheerfully.

“No problem. I’ll see you in the morning at the station,” he replied as he walked back to his car.

I looked over at Sunset who was grinning broadly at me. I laughed quietly at her glee.

“You clever minx. Nicely done.”

“Now we know where to start on that project,” she replied. “Finally!”

“Ummm, what do you need that information for?” asked Fluttershy. “That doesn't sound like a school project.”

“It isn't,” I replied. “Sunset and I are hoping we can disprove some worries about the nature dagger used to attack me in Manhattan.”

“Oh my,” she whispered, frightened by the implications. “You think other people are dying here from similar wounds?”

“That's right,” Sunset replied. “I hope we're wrong about this. Anyhow, let's get this tin can on his feet and head for Rarity's place.”

“Very funny Sunset,” I replied with a chuckle while I held my arms up for help.


For obvious reasons, we stayed together as a group for comfort and safety as we walked to where my car was parked. Fluttershy and Sunset explain the plan for the prank when we walked through the tunnel. The mannequin dressed up eliciting some laughter but for the most part, the trip to the boutique was tense silence. Once I removed my armor, I sat in the passenger seat while Sunset drove my car beside the rest of the girls until we reached Rarity's home.

It was a shame I hadn't gotten a look at the girl's costumes before the incident but they were all pretty impressive. Rainbow Dash was wearing a fighter pilot's gear and Fluttershy was dressed as Alice in Wonderland. Rarity was wearing an evening gown like some sort of princess and Applejack's was wearing a scarecrow costume. Pinkie Pie was dressed like a cat and Sunset was just dressed as a vampire with contact lenses, fake teeth, and a simple cloak.

We settled in at the boutique and Rarity started a post of tea. Applebloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle were sitting in with us since they were unavoidably involved now. Rainbow Dash had a worried look on

“Ok Silver, explanation time. What the heck are you?” demanded Rainbow Dash.

“Rainbow Dash, calm down!” said Sunset. “He told us all he turned into a Thestral on the other side of the portal the day after the Fall Formal."

“Ok, ok,” she said. “I'm just worried cause those wings looked an awful lot like Sunset's demon wings . . . No offense.”

“None taken,” Sunset replied wearily.

Fluttershy cleared her throat and interrupted Dash before she could continue. “Maybe we should have asked what a Thestral actually looks like. I don't recall ever asking.”

She gestured at Sunset and me to take over so I nodded at Sunset who was seated across the room, indicating she should speak first. I then closed my eyes, summoning up Spark's silhouette in the room at my feet. His head was resting on his hooves and it was clear he was dozing.

You ok Spark?

“I wish I could tell you more but they are incredibly reclusive and haven't been seen outside of their homeland in centuries,” Sunset said sadly. “What I do know is they are well adapted to night time with better sight and hearing than normal ponies.”

Spark blinked a few times and looked up at me.

Feeling a bit better. Why?

“They have bat-like wings and I've heard their eyes are like cats . . .”

You up for a demo?
Maybe. If we can do this now we could practice in the future.
Good call.

I stood up and held my hand out to Spark. He took it, allowing the magic to flow free again, bringing about all the expected new features in a green glow. I heard Sunset trail off from her explanation and then several gasps of surprise from my friends. I opened my eyes and looked around the room at the nine pairs of wide, startled eyes. I grinned sheepishly at them.

“I'm surprised that worked. I thought this might be a bit less intimidating if you saw it in a well-lit room. I guess this is my half-pony form.”

Sunset ran over to me, completely flustered by what she saw. “How, HOW! HOW did you do this?!”

“I think I've been hovering on the edge of using it since the Fall Formal,” I said. “Rarity saw my eyes when you were attacked and Fluttershy mentioned the ears when I ran up the wall. When I realized you were all in trouble I remembered those incidents and dug down for every scrap of energy hidden in the depths of my soul. I found magic down there.”

Ok, that's all I've got left, Silver. Now I really need to recover.
Right. Thanks, Spark.

“What did you do right now though?” Sunset whispered. “You used your magic with intent?”

“Pretty much yeah. I replied as my wings faded away. “I just remembered what the energy felt like and brought it forward again. This is the first time I've even touched my magic when I wasn't being threatened or under stress.”

“What, you're going to be able to grow wings any time you want?” asked Dash. “No fair, I want to be able to fly like that.”

“I don't know if it'll work that way yet Dash. I just barely managed to bring it forward there."

Sunset looked thoughtful. “In Equestria, it doesn't matter what kind of pony you are, magic grows through practice and use. You five got magic from the Elements of Harmony and it's triggered by a music in a way I don't understand yet. You might be able to grow your magical strength just by practicing your music but I really don't know for sure.”

Rainbow Dash smiled at that thought. “I can think of worse ways to train and try to get used of my wings. Why is Silver different?”

She sighed and put her head in her hands. “I wish I knew but I'm not even entirely sure how he got his magic in the first place. I'm not surprised his magic works differently from the rest of you since his pony for is different as well. The differences could even just be a result of him being a thestral. I really don't have any way to find out!”

Rarity walked over to me. “Darling, I'm glad I wasn't going crazy when I saw those eyes. I must say your wings are quite striking. Perhaps you'll let me do some measurements when you have better control.”

“The ears were very cute,” said Fluttershy. “They look similar to our pony ears but that little tuft of fur at the tips was adorable.”

“Ah think it's crazy that ya'll still get those pony forms,” said Applebloom. “Ah still can't believe this magic stuff is real, like real. Ah've watched you practice Applejack and the change still feel more like a gimmick like in a music video. Seeing Silver transform just like that made this way more . . . well real.”

We all sat in silence as the truth of Applebloom's words began to sink in. It was one thing to have the girls involuntarily gaining pony features when they played music. Even though there was clearly magic involved, it was really more like a side effect of what they did to help Twilight. There was no conscious control over that magic or when it manifested. It simply was a thing that happened.

Today we had the first indication that it was possible to use magic at will. It was possible the girls could gain a similar connection in the future. This changed everything we knew about the way our world worked. Magic had suddenly become a very real factor in all our lives and we would have to face the consequences for better or worse.

“You're right Applebloom,” I said quietly. “There really isn't much more we can do tonight. We'll work through this one way or another but I need to head back to my house and sleep off these injuries.”

"Injuries darling," said Rarity. "I thought you were only stabbed . . . and I can't believe I just said 'only' with reference to a knife wound."

"No worries Rarity," I said chuckling in spite of the pain. "I'm just going to be bruised in a few places. The armor protected me from the worst but those clubs will still have left a mark."

There were several nods from the girls and hugs were exchanged as we got ready to call it a night.


Since I couldn't drive yet, Sunset had offered to stay overnight to help with my bandage and to drive me to the police station in the morning. I wasn't going to say no to an offer like that so here I was riding in the passenger seat of the car for the first time in ages. I stared out the window at the passing scenery worrying about the figure. Sunset startled me out of my introspection with a question.

“Silver, do you know how loud you were shouting in the park?”

I shrugged as I collected my thoughts. “I was so startled by the volume of my voice I think I almost lost my connection to the magic. I got it under control in time though. Actually, I think I yelled at Trixie like that when she dumped her soda on me. Why do you ask?”

“It was like a megaphone and you were generating gusts of wind from your voice Silver,” she said in a worried tone. “I've only ever heard a voice like that once in my life. I read about it in a history book and Princess Celestia demonstrated when I asked her about it. She called it the Royal Canterlot Voice and she was clear in saying only alicorns can use it.”

“You think 'I' used that voice?" I asked incredulously. "No way, there is no bloody way I'm an alicorn. There was no horn on my head in Equestria.”

“I know you aren't,” she said. “Still, the royal voice is far too distinctive and that's what worries me more than anything. You used magic you shouldn't even have access to without any conscious control. I don't know what will happen if you start to train your magic further. I wish the portal would open so you could go get examined by professionals.”

I contemplated her words. “If you're that worried about me, I won't practice without someone present to observe or call an ambulance if things go wrong. You know more about magic than anybody else in this world Sunset, so would you be able to supervise my attempts?”

She looked shocked at my suggestion. "You'd trust me to help with this?"

"There's nobody I'd rather have watching my back when I'm messing around with magic Sunset."

She smiled at my response. “I'd like that Silver. Let's do some benchmark measurements tomorrow morning so we can track your progress and monitor your vitals to make sure you aren't having an unhealthy reaction to using magic.”

"That should be interesting. Then I won't practice accessing my magic unless you're present.”

“That is a relief to hear!” she said brightly with growing enthusiasm. “I haven't been able to do any research on magic since I left Equestria. It will actually be really neat to learn something nopony else has ever seen before.”

Well that made her happy!
Promotion achieved – Guinea pig.
Seriously? I think this will be good for us and her Spark.
Sorry. You're right.

Author's Note:

So there you go, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! The planned prank isn't exactly an original concept although I haven't found one of a guy in evil looking plate armour with an axe. They're pretty common and really do depend on situational fears. There are tons of them and the ones I mentioned in the story are two I find quite amusing. Better than the clowns at least.

Silver Spark's magical aura is forest green simply because I like the color, it fits with his appearance (at least I like the way dark blues and greens mix). Most importantly, it's one I haven't seen represented among the main characters so far. I hope I wasn't too subtle about his magic slipping out during times of stress. I should be absolutely clear that there are reasons for what Silver Spark is going through and why his magic is easier to use than it is for other characters at this point. You might even be able to form a hypothesis based on what's happened so far in the story.

PreviousChapters Next