• Published 13th Sep 2016
  • 8,991 Views, 506 Comments

Finding a Place - Battlecat



Moving to Canterlot was supposed give Silver Spark a chance to begin again. So far that hasn't worked out.

  • ...
16
 506
 8,991

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 13 - To Care

Spark and I stood side by side looking into the empty expanse of stars for the third night in a row. Relief about the absence of nightmares had given way to boredom.

“Spark, if this is a dream, we should have some amount of control over it right? Sitting around in this empty space is awfully boring.”

“That actually makes sense Silver. Maybe somewhere for us to sit would be a good place to start?”

"Like that nice recliner in the living room?"

The air between us began to shimmer and two identical copies of the recliner from our living room came into existence beside us along with the wooden crate coffee table in between them.

“Is it really that easy? Why did this coffee table show up though?”

“We're probably just used to it being next to that chair. That’s where it always sat right? This is our mind, our dream so it makes sense that it would be easy to control this space. Let me try something.”

Spark closed his eyes. The ground under us began to shimmer and crystals began to form and flowed out from where we were sitting, expanding to create a floor. Railings and walls grew with exponential speed as the stupendous crystal tower from Equestria formed around us. We were back on the same exact balcony. Every detail was as I remembered it from the stunning view to the shattered doorway. The only difference was our two easy chairs and the table now sitting on the balcony. In the room behind us were the frozen figures of the ponies that had saved us.

“Wow, that was ambitious. Looks like it worked Spark.”

He opened his eyes with a satisfied smile and then with a flap of his wings took off and flew out into the air. “Awesome. This is way better than sitting around in empty space.”

I walked over and leaned on the railing looking out over the stupendous view. “Watching you fly like that makes me jealous Spark. It’s a shame we can’t do that in real life. As much as I like this, it does worry me as well. Are we getting enough sleep this way?”

“I think we are. It's been three days since this started and we aren’t showing any of the signs associated with sleep deprivation that I’m aware of. If anything we seem better rested and more alert.”

“Good, but we’ll have to monitor it. I’ll look up a full list of symptoms when we wake up. We need to figure out what to do for Sunset though. She hardly talked to us yesterday afternoon after she got mad at us.”

“Our comment about our house not being home hit her hard for some reason. We need to apologize to her even though I don't entirely understand what we did wrong.”


Monday October 10, 2016

The girls were all waiting for me near the parking lot when I pulled up in my car. Their eager expressions were frightening. I knew they wanted to see what Rarity had come up with and I really hoped I would do her efforts justice. I parked the car and hopped out to greet my friends.

I’m sure glad I don’t have to deal with clothes.
Thanks so much for your support Spark.

My ratty sweats had been discarded in favor of Rarity's advice. I was wearing a light gray short trench coat, black slacks, and black shoes. The coat was unbuttoned as per Rarity's instructions revealing a tight forest green V-neck sweater and a simple white t-shirt under that. Everything fit reasonably well off the shelves, but Rarity had somehow tweaked them to perfection. My cutie mark was embroidered on the upper left side of the sweater. I'd taken the time to clean up and brush out my neck length hair so it looked a bit nicer.

“Well Sir Spark, I see you followed my instructions to the letter. How do they feel?”

“Lady Belle, these are by far the most comfortable well-fitted clothes I've ever worn. You have an exceptional talent.”

Rarity smiled at the praise, which was well earned. “I'm pleased I could be of assistance. So girls, what do you think?”

The girls looked me over thoughtfully. I felt a bit exposed but I calmed down by reminding myself that these were my friends. Surprisingly it actually helped.

“I think he looks nice,” whispered Fluttershy.

“Ah do to and that's sayin' something coming from me,” said Applejack. “It’s certainly classier than what you usually wear.”

Pinkie was bouncing happily. “He looks super-duper nice Rarity!”

Rainbow looked me over and nodded. “Come on, I want to see how everyone reacts.”

I’m not sure I want to know.
We’re going to find out one way or another.
I fear this won’t make much of a difference Silver.

Sunset just nodded quietly as she stayed to the back of the group. She avoided talking to me again just like on the weekend. I wanted to talk to her but there wasn't going to be an opportunity as the girls hauled me off to school. The front entrance had been finished on the weekend so they escorted me straight in. The reactions from the other students as I walked into the school were interesting. They didn't seem to recognize me right away so there were some smiles and then double-takes as they recognized my face. The looks quickly dissolved into a mixture of confusion and hostility.

I could hear the usual whispers but I was doing my best to ignore them. I didn’t want to know what they thought of me. I had gotten the only opinions I cared about when I arrived. Fluttershy and Rarity walked with me to our English class. It had been something of a surprise to realize we were in the same class. The only other opinion I heard out loud was uttered by the blue-haired guitarist as we walked past him. Flash Sentry's face twisted with a kind of loathing when he saw me.

“A well-dressed pig is still a pig,” Flash said derisively as he walked past.

I don't really care what he thinks. Why did that hurt so much?
We don’t want to be hated, but we are. That’s our place I guess.

“Well I never,” said Rarity. “I don't believe I've ever heard Flash say something so rude. He's usually a proper gentleman like you are Silver.”

“What he just said is nothing new for me Rarity. This has been my life since I started here. The only difference is he doesn't hide and whisper like the other students do.”

Rarity and Fluttershy looked stricken at my latest comment. They were both quiet for a few moments but then Rarity managed to pull herself together.

“Oh dear, I don't believe I've ever felt more empathy for you and Sunset. Such horrid behavior should have stopped thanks to Twilight. It's tragic to see it's simply all focused on you two now.”

“Just having you six as friends is making it easier for me to handle. I do think Flash might be a bit obsessed with Twilight though.”

“We will figure something out, mark my words. As for Flash, poor Twilight was so worried about you at the dance she hardly paid him any attention. If you hadn't been so insistent, I don’t believe she would have even left you alone to attend the dance after Sunset's little incident.”

“That's a shame. I was hoping she'd get to enjoy herself more during the limited time she had left here. Lady Belle, I’ll be honest; you and our friends gave me the only opinion I really care to hear. I can't afford to worry about the opinions of those who blindly hate me.”

You just keep telling yourself that Silver. Someday we might believe it.
Oh, don't you start Spark!

“How I wish was that wasn’t the case Silver. Our fellow students are incredibly dense at times.”

“I don't like it either,” whispered Fluttershy. “I wish everyone would be kinder to you and Sunset.”

On that note, the three of us walked into class. The girls were greeted with the usual smiles and nods. I was greeted by the usual looks of suspicion that were only slightly tempered by surprise. It was just another day at Canterlot High.


The morning flew by quickly and after we ate a quick lunch in the cafeteria we all walked over to the music room. The girls were going to do a bit of practice and go over a few song ideas in preparation for a bigger rehearsal after school. Sunset and I were along mostly because we had no other plans. We weren't part of the band and honestly, I wasn't expecting an invitation anyhow. I decided now was my chance to chat with Sunset so I spoke up.

“Hey Sunset, can I talk to you privately for a minute while they get set up?”

Sunset nodded so we stepped into the classroom across the hall. Sunset had a look of worry and uncertainty on her face and she kept looking at the ground. The rest of the girls kept glancing over at us through the open door of the music room and there were still students in the hallway so I kept my voice quiet.

“Sunset, I'm sorry I upset you on the weekend. I realize I must have triggered an unpleasant memory and I’m very sorry for bringing that back.”

Sunset didn’t answer right away. She kept staring at the ground with a hangdog look.

“I lost my temper with you over such a little thing,” she whispered. “I didn't mean to, it just flared out of control. Sorry.”

“Hey, it didn't sound like a little thing Sunset. It sounded like it hurt and I can’t blame you for lashing out.”

“I shouldn’t have reacted that way. You didn't do anything wrong Silver.”

“If you say so but I’d still like to make it up to you.”

She seemed to be perking up and she finally was meeting my gaze. “I don't think it's necessary Silver but what did you have in mind?”

“Can I take you to dinner Friday after school?”

Sunset arched her eyebrow at me. “Are you asking me out on a date Silver?”

I panicked. I tried to spit out a coherent explanation without insulting her but I couldn’t form a coherent thought.

“Uhh, wait I didn’t mean it that way; I didn’t think you’d take it that way. I mean you’re cute but I barely, I’m not even sure about, oh dear Luna just kill me now.”

Very smooth Silver.
GAH!

I buried my face in my hands as my face turned red. She started to giggle and it grew into a full-on laugh. I had heard her laugh before the demon incident. Her laughter had been chilling and cold at the time. Now it was warm and pleasant even if she was laughing at my foolishness. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the girls in the other room glancing over at us with increasing confusion as they pulled out their instruments.

“I’m sorry Silver, the setup was too perfect to pass up on,” Sunset said as she got her laughter under control. “I’d love to go to dinner with you as a friend Silver. I can meet you after school Friday for our ‘not a date.’”

“Ok, sounds good,” I squeaked sounding more like Fluttershy at her most nervous rather than myself. “Let’s get back to the girls before I manage to embarrass myself more.”

Sunset just chuckled again. The other girls were eyeing both of us speculatively as we walked back in to watch them practice.

“What was that about?” asked Dash.

“Oh nothing much, I’m just making a fool of myself,” I replied.

As usual.
Like you have room to judge Spark.
It’s still funny.
Thanks so much. At least Sunset is talking to us again.
For now.

Rarity was eyeing the two of us with suspicion but I just smiled and sat down to watch the rehearsal.


I swung my sword at invisible enemies as I spun around the gymnasium. The moves echoed in my head as I drifted across the floor, my shoes squeaking as I dodged around.

. . . Parry, riposte, back, turn left, seconda guard, lunge, retreat and rest!

I relaxed as I finished my pattern and lowered my training sword. Discord began clapping with delight.

“Masterfully done my boy,” he chortled. “A glorious battle won yet again. Thank you for entertaining an old man.”

“It was my pleasure Discord,” I replied. “You've been a good friend to me since I arrived.”

His mismatched eyes glanced over at me thoughtfully. “Friend? Well what do you know, I suppose we are! I have so few it's always nice to get another.”

“I know how you feel. Oh hey, did I tell you my teacher from Manhattan will be moving here next month? He's opening a dojo here in January so I'll have a sparring partner. I'll let you know where he sets up so you can come to watch me cross actual steel and likely get defeated in a true battle.”

Discord's eyes widened and a huge comical grin spread across his face. “That will be a sight indeed; a wonderful gift for the New Year. I look forward to it Silver Spark. Now I must return to my duties such as they are.”

He stood up, stretched, and walked over to his cleaning gear. He pulled out a mop and started cleaning the gym floor. I wiped the sweat off my face with a towel and walked into the change room. I had put my sweats on for the workout so my news clothes wouldn't get messy. I slipped into a bathroom stall and changed where I would be out of sight. Then I looked at the time on my phone.

It’s only 4:00. Fluttershy is meeting us at 4:45 right?
Yes, after they finish practice Silver.
Good thing I have a book to read.

I walked out the front door of the school and settled down leaning on the base of the statue where the portal would open in two and a half years. The plain stone face of the portal felt strangely warm and it made me feel a bit closer to Twilight and Equestria. It was comforting and sad at the same time.

I like this spot. I think the warmth is magic.
Really Spark? There’s still something here?
Yes, I think there is. It feels soothing.
Well, let’s sit here then.

I pulled out my book and started reading. It was from one of my favorite series and had been released just after my parents passed away so I was really into it. The warmth from the portal and the comfort of a new book relaxed me. I suppose I got complacent because school ended more than an hour ago. I certainly wasn’t expecting to see many students this late in the day and I could see the front door clearly from my seat.

As such, it was a rude awakening when I was suddenly doused by a cup of icy liquid poured over my head. I managed to keep the book dry, but my new clothes were quickly soaked.

“Trixie is appalled the faculty of this school even lets such a creature loiter on the school grounds.”

I looked up through the sheen of orange liquid running over my face and saw Trixie staring down, sneering at me. I shook off the moisture and got up on my feet. Trixie backed off a couple of steps but glared at me defiantly. I could feel my temper rapidly fraying as I started to growl.

“Really? Was that really necessary?”

“The Great and Powerful Trixie simply wants to ensure all people at this school know their place. Canterlot High is not your place. Take your demonic master and be gone.”

You insufferable little BRAT!

That did it. I clenched my fists and started shouting at her. My voice was rising and getting louder with every word that I spat out of my mouth.

“Why do you all Feel The NEED TO CONSTANTLY HARASS ME!? BUCK OFF!!

The last two words echoed off the school like thunder. She staggered back as if she had been pushed and her face went completely pale. Then she raised one hand in the air while pointing at me with the other. “I knew it. Trixie will see you both gone. Mark my words you patchwork freak.”

She threw an object at the ground which exploded into a cloud of smoke. Coughing I looked around to figure out where she went. I spotted her running figure about half a block away after the smoke dissipated. I was shaking as I clenched my fists but there was no enemy to attack. It was just a bully with a cup of soda. I felt the anger drain out of me and it was replaced with a familiar weary sorrow.

“What have I ever done to you?” I whispered.

Nothing. We've done nothing.
Luna damn it. This sucks.
She called us patchwork.
Does she know about my scars? How?
Wish I knew. Why did we use the phrase 'buck off?'
Luna only knows. It felt right though.

Dejected I put my book in my backpack. Mercifully it hadn't been hit either. I walked over to my car and pulled out my phone to send a text to Fluttershy but there was already a message from her.

4:23 pm – Are you ok Silver? Was that you shouting?

How in Luna's name did they hear me in the music room?

4:24 pm – Yeah that might have been me. Going to have to go to my house.

4:25 pm - Oh dear. Why?

4:26 pm – Just had orange soda dumped on me. Need to go wash my clothes.

4:27 pm – Wait for me. I'm coming.

A couple of moments later Fluttershy and Rarity came running out of the school and over to my car. Rarity immediately hopped into the passenger seat, while Fluttershy got in the back. Rarity looked at the orange stains on my jacket and shirt and let out a dramatic cry of despair.

“This is the worst possible thing!” Rarity gasped. “To my shop! Quickly now, there isn’t a moment to lose!”

“I was just going to wash it Rarity. It'll be fine.”

“It is just as I feared. Sir Spark, you would have ruined these if you just threw them straight in the wash. Orange soda stains need extra attention. Fortunately, I have just the thing at home to fix it up and some clean clothes of yours that I altered last night.”

“Thank you Rarity. I guess I'll need to get some instructions from you in case this happens again. Laundry is actually something I don't have much experience with beyond knowing to not mix whites with colored clothing. I'm sorry I interrupted your practice.”

“Oh, it’s ok Silver,” replied Fluttershy. “We were just about done when we heard you yelling. Who would do such an awful thing?”

“It was Trixie. Just the latest escalation of hatred I guess. I should have been paying more attention to my surroundings instead of reading.”

“It's bad enough they say such horrible things about you and Sunset,” said Rarity. “I don't understand why they need to attack you in such vile ways.”

“I don't like this but I think I understand their reasons,” I replied. “When Sunset became a demon, she literally stole their free will. They became powerless and now they are trying to take that power back from her.”

“Hurting you won't change that.”

“I know. I assume since I’m perceived to be Sunset’s minion, I’m an equally suitable target to take back what they lost. So how did the practice go before I interrupted?”

“Oh, it went alright. Rainbow Dash is really excited about this and has a lot of ideas. I'm still not sure about getting up on stage and singing.”

“You'll do just fine Fluttershy. You have a lovely voice.”

“Well ok, if you think so.”


Once we got to Rarity's boutique she immediately escorted me into the back, pulled the trench coat off me, and pushed me into a changing room.

“Get those off immediately, I'll find you something to wear so you and Fluttershy can get to the shelter.”

“Consider it done Lady Belle.”

I could hear Fluttershy giggle at my response while Rarity was digging around. As I pulled the shirt over my head, I realized my hair was coated in the sugary mess as well.

“I'm going to have to rinse this stuff out of my hair Rarity. Is the washroom free?”

“Yes, Silver it is. Fluttershy, could you be a dear and grab a towel out of the closet for him?”

I walked across the hall to the washroom. There was a bathtub with a showerhead on a long hose. I pulled off my t-shirt and turned to look in the mirror to check the damage before I started the water. The gray streak in my hair was splattered orange and the dye was coating one side of my face. As always the scars drew my attention and I winced. Patchwork freak was an accurate description as far as I could tell.

“Here's the towel Silv . . . eep!”

I turned around to see Fluttershy standing there blushing and staring at the floor. She held out the towel silently and I took it. She mumbled something under her breath and quickly turned to leave.

“Thank you, Fluttershy. Sorry you had to see this mess.”

She stopped mid-step and turned around. Her head snapped up and a horrified look appeared on her face as she stared at me.

“You need to stop apologizing for your appearance Silver,” she said sternly. “There is nothing wrong with the way you look.”

I knelt down to the tub and turned on the water. Fluttershy made no move to leave so I continued

“I know you girls keep telling me that Fluttershy. I just find it so hard to believe when I look at myself in the mirror. Even more so since Trixie called me a patchwork freak during her attack. I'm worried the other students found out about these scars.”

“If they did, we'll support you until we figure out how to make things better Silver. Let me help you clean this out of your hair.”

Fluttershy pulled the nozzle down from its hook and started rinsing my hair out. Her fingers massaged my scalp working the water in to dissolve the sugar that was already crystallized underneath. I sighed and relaxed at her gentle touch, then splashed some water on my face. Then she shut the water off and I grabbed the towel.

“Is that better Silver?”

“Much. You always seem to be able to relax me Fluttershy,” I said through the towel. “You sure you're alright with seeing this mess of scars?”

“Yes!” she exclaimed. Then she shrank in on herself again. “I mean they are scary, but they're just part of you. You're far more than just your scars Silver. I hope you'll have the confidence to see that someday.”

Maybe. Hard to say if that's possible.

“I hope so too Fluttershy. I'll finish drying off and get changed so we can go to the shelter.”


After changing and thanking Rarity for her help, Fluttershy and I drove out to grab some fast food for dinner and then straight over to the animal shelter to help out. Fluttershy and I parked at the animal shelter. When we walked in, the lady at the front desk just smiled and waved at her as we walked past.

“You spend a lot of time here don’t you Fluttershy?”

“Oh yes. It’s very nice to see my animal friends and make sure they’re taken care of. I love to see them get adopted by nice families even though I miss them when they leave.”

“We never had pets when I was a kid. It just wouldn’t have been fair to the animal given how much we were away.”

“That’s very sad Silver. Maybe you’ll find an animal you like today.”

“I’ll certainly keep an open mind. So what do you need me to do?”

“The dog kennels need to be cleaned today. Would you like to take care of the animals or do the cleaning?”

“Why don't you take care of the animals? I don't really have enough experience with animals to handle an unfamiliar one safely. Brooms and mops are much more predictable.”

Fluttershy giggled and pushed the door open to the kennels. We were greeted by a cacophony of excited barking. There were twelve dogs in residence at the moment ranging in size from a German Shepherd to a small mutt that looked like a mop. In total there was space for twenty dogs. I watched the dogs with amazement as they greeted Fluttershy warmly as she moved from cage to cage.

The barking is making me nervous Silver.
Relax Spark. We’ll be fine.

I walked to the nearest cage and held my hand up for the nearest dog to sniff. He was a medium-sized Husky who walked up and put his nose to the bars but then shied back with a nervous whine and a tiny rumble in his throat.

“Oh dear, that's not nice,” Fluttershy scolded in her gentle voice. “This is Silver, and he's a friend.”

I was amazed when the dog actually seemed to pay attention to her words. He padded up to the bars for another sniff of my hand. Then he let out an odd half howl but Fluttershy just walked up next to me and put her hand on my shoulder. The dog whined and then his tail started wagging. Fluttershy started unlatching his cage.

“Are you sure he's safe Fluttershy?”

“Oh yes, he'll be a good boy now.”

True to her word the dog bounded out and started sniffing my legs and ankles with his tail wagging all the while. Once he was satisfied he nuzzled up to Fluttershy looking for a scratch behind the ear which she started providing. I grabbed the broom and dustpan and walked in to start sweeping. We got through the first four pages pretty quickly and Fluttershy got to spend some quality time with each dog.

“With everything I've read in the past about the stray animal population, you must do quite well at adopting them out to have so much empty space.”

With a sad sigh, she looked over at the empty cages. “I wish that were the case. We only have space for two more dogs right now. The other kennels are damaged and can't be used. If we run out of space, the extra animals have to go to the city pound. This is a no-kill shelter; the city's isn't.”

“What kind of damage is it?”

“They aren't secure. They have old latches, broken fencing, and places where the poor dears can get cut or hurt. We have similar problems with the kitty kennels as well. This shelter manages to operate on donations but it's difficult to make repairs when the funds are tight.”

I looked at the simple metal cages and considered the shipping container filled with a literal ton of professional-grade metalworking equipment.

“Fluttershy, while the latches might be beyond my skills, I should be able to repair the cages.”

“Really? I remember you doing the welding yesterday. What else do you have?”

“Dad was a master blacksmith. There's a full professional metal workshop stored at my house just waiting to be unpacked. I'm not fully trained, but repairing these is well within my capabilities.”

“Oh, I wouldn't want to impose, I'm sure you have more important things to do.”

“This shelter is obviously important to you so helping fix a few things is the least I can do after the kindness you've shown me from the day we met.”

Suddenly there was a pink-haired head right under my chin. Fluttershy had run in and was hugging me so tight I could hardly breathe. For a moment it felt like she was channeling Pinkie Pie’s strength. I rubbed her back with one hand gently. I could hear her talking but it was so quiet I could barely hear her.

“What was that Fluttershy?”

“What did I do to deserve a friend like you?” she whispered.

“You were kind to me when I needed it more than anything in this world. If you hadn’t given me that one brief chance, I don’t think I would have had the courage to offer Twilight my help.”

“You were friends with Discord and Redheart long before I talked to you.”

“I won't deny they helped me a great deal but they're still adults at the end of the day. Being able to talk to someone closer to my age has a far greater impact.”

Fluttershy was quiet and didn't say anything for a while. She just kept hugging me. When she finally let go and stepped back she looked happier than I’d ever seen her.

“Thank you, Silver. It makes me so happy knowing we'll be able to save more animals.”

“No problem Fluttershy. Why don’t you show me the damage after we finish cleaning the rest of these kennels?”

“Kay.”


After my decision to help the shelter with repair work Fluttershy opened up a bit more and our conversation was much more animated. The dogs all had slightly nervous initial reactions to me but they quickly got over it with Fluttershy's reassurance. We made small talk for a short time and chatted about school but then the discussion drifted to Fluttershy's challenge with our fellow students.

“I can't believe anybody would dare bully you about your love of animals Fluttershy.”

She sighed, “Sunset apologized and even came to help last week but it still hurts. She wasn't the only one but the others tend to stay away now. I guess I'm just an easy target since I'm so meek.”

“I've seen the fire in you when it really matters. You’re stronger than realize.”

“If you say so Silver. It sometimes doesn't seem like enough. Father and my brother think I'm wasting my time here and sometimes aren't nice about it.”

“Ouch. Not having support from your family would be hard. I can’t imagine living life with my dad looking down his nose at my choices.”

“Oh, he's actually my step-father. Daddy passed away when I was eight.”

I looked over at her where she was sitting with a little dog in her lap. She was petting it gently while staring off into space.

Is she ok Silver?
I’m not sure. Something’s not right.

“I'm sorry Fluttershy. I had no idea.”

“Oh, I don't talk about it very much. He doesn't like me telling people he's my step-father. He says it undermines his authority as a parent.”

“I'll keep that quiet if I ever meet him. I hope he's not too hard on you.”

“Not usually. I just stay quiet and everything is fine. My brother gets most of the attention. He's outgoing and that lets me just disappear without father noticing most of the time.”

I looked over at her. She was still staring blankly at the wall while absently scratching the little dog behind his ear. I put down my broom and walked over to sit beside her. I wrapped an arm around her shoulder. She jumped with surprise at the touch. I don’t think she even noticed me walk up to her.

“You sure you’re ok Fluttershy?”

“No, everything is fine. Really it is.”

I'm not sure I believe her Silver.
I know Spark. Let's not push it.

“Alright but if you ever need to talk or need help, I’m willing to listen.”

“Ok.”

I hopped back up to my feet. It was time to change the subject.

“Then I'd better get back to work! These floors aren't going to sweep themselves. So Fluttershy, why don't you tell me about the silliest animal you've ever had in here.”

She grinned at my question and I could see her thinking back over all the animals she had cared for here. I could tell she knew what I was doing but that didn't matter. The joy on her face was a welcome change from the empty expression she had on her face moments earlier.

“Oh, there have been so many. We had a parrot named Marvin in here once that swore like a sailor. I don't like swearing but it was priceless coming from his beak. I'm still not sure if he understood what he was saying or . . .”

She went on and on about the animals she had cared for over the years. It was amazing how well she remembered all the different animals by name. I was certain my decision to help out here was the right one.


Fluttershy and I finished up at the shelter at 8:30 in the evening. After cleaning the dog cages we looked over the damage to the kennels and cat pens. Some of it was stuff I would be able to fix up easily but I would need to transport some tools down including my welding rig which wasn’t as easy as I would like. We walked out and stood with the owner, Water Lilly as she locked up. When Fluttershy had told her my offer she was thrilled.

“I can't believe you're willing to help out the shelter like this!” gushed Water Lilly. “You'll be saving so many animals just by repairing our facility which means I can direct more money to food and outreach budgets.”

“It was my pleasure ma'am, though it'll take me a bit of time to get set up. I think I'm going to have to buy a trailer.”

“That sounds like it will be expensive,” said Fluttershy. “What will you need it for?”

“I have a feeling I'll be doing more on-site work in Canterlot than my Dad did in Manhattan. I'll need a way to easily transport my gear. Just loading the welding unit into my van the other day would have been nearly impossible without Dash helping. I can’t operate a business if I need a friend’s help to load and unload every time I head out.”

“I see. I hope you won't be going to too much trouble just to help the shelter.”

“It’s no trouble at all. This is actually giving me the incentive to move forward with figuring out what I’m going to do with my life. What would you like to do now Fluttershy?”

“I think I should go get some rest. Thank you for all your help today.”

“No problem. I'll get a work trailer this weekend and I should be able to start fixing things the weekend after that. The repairs will be a bit more than I’d want to work on after school. Come on, I'll give you a ride home.”


Fluttershy lived in a small house on the edge of town. It actually was only a fifteen-minute walk from my farm so when I pulled up I stopped her before she got out.

“I don't know what your day to day life is like and I don’t want to push you. I just want you to know that my house isn't far from here. There's a gazebo in the back yard by the hot tub. I'm going to put a spare key on a nail under the first bench on the left. If you need a refuge, please don't hesitate to let yourself in.”

She looked shocked at my offer and then looked at the floor of my car.

“I wouldn't want to impose.”

“You will never be an imposition Fluttershy. If you need a place to go for any reason please don't hesitate to let yourself into my house. No questions asked, just make yourself at home. There's even a guest bedroom set up."

She smiled and seemed to relax. “Thank you, Silver. I'll see you tomorrow at school. Goodnight.”

There was a warm but sad smile on her face as she opened the car door. She touched my hand briefly and then hopped out of the car and scurried up to her front door. I watched her open it and slip quietly inside but I didn't drive off right away. My mind was spinning as I sat thinking about our conversation this evening.

What do we do if she’s being harmed?
I'll talk to Dash as soon as I can Spark. They've been friends the longest.
I wonder if we could teach her anything that might help.
It depends on what's happening.
It might be worth offering to all the girls rather than singling Fluttershy out.
Good call Silver.

I started the car and pulled out into the quiet street to drive back to my house. I contemplated how much things had changed over the past year but in particular the past two weeks. Life was getting busy and there were people who cared and worried for me. Here I was thinking about how I could help those same people. It was a complete switch from how I lived a couple of weeks earlier.

If we can just get through this weekend, we might be ok Silver.
I know. At least we aren't alone anymore.

Author's Note:

Bit of a shorter chapter today. They won't all be pushing ten thousand words. So it would seem Spark is a bit of a troll. I suppose when all you have to do is think, being a smartass would be one outlet.

I’m going to try to differentiate the Equestria girls from the ponies a bit. We know a touch more about the pony families now but there’s no reason why things can’t be different on this side of the portal. An imperfect mirror is far more interesting in my opinion.

PreviousChapters Next