• Published 24th Aug 2016
  • 4,086 Views, 129 Comments

All Apologies - Gpizano



On the way to Manehattan for a gig, Sunset Shimmer and the Pony Breakers find themselves swept up in the dangerous going ons surrounding the Friendship Games.

  • ...
15
 129
 4,086

Easily Amused

The night spent at Treehugger's had been odd but Sunset Shimmer had been able to manage, not saying a word to either of the shocked girls outside of calmly asking where she could sleep. Since Fluttershy would be sharing Treehugger's bed, the hostess with dread locks directed Sunset to the couch (after assuring her it was clean), setting out a blanket and pillow for her. The next morning the two would find that Sunset was still as quiet last night, outside of greeting Treehugger's mother who had returned from working late while the three girls had been sleeping. The fight yesterday had been concerning, especially to Treehugger since the red head had seemed to explode on Jackie out of nowhere.

It was only when they were on their way to school, having to leave earlier than normal so Fluttershy could make it to the welcoming party for the Friendship Games, that Treehugger finally spoke up.

"So yeah... yesterday. I'm gettin' weird vibes from it. I mean... I know you haven't known Jackie for very long, but you do know she wasn't thinking of abandoning you, right? She's not the kind of person to just bail on a friend..."

"... I know."

While the response left Treehugger totally confused, Sunset Shimmer picked up her pace to walk ahead of the other two girls.

The problem was that Jackie would have stayed behind, no matter what she said about playing at the Ballroom Blitz. Sunset had only known Jackie for about three months and already she knew how much of a push over the guitarist was. Jackie took a complete stranger list Sunset with her back to Los Pegasus, put a roof over her head, fed her, even let her borrow clothes. No matter how difficult Sunset had been the guitarist had always stuck with her and wanted to help her.

How could she ask Jackie to stay behind and search for someone whose identity was a complete mystery to them and who was possibly a threat? What if they she did leave Canterlot and the next day this person turned into some monstrous force? There were too many risks in just putting this off. After all, maybe if she had spoken up sooner during the Battle of the Bands instead of just butting out, maybe the sirens could have been cut off sooner before it got to the point they almost took over the world.

There was no way she wanted Jackie to throw away such a big gig, or have Tino and Poppy do the same, not after everything they had done for her. They were still a good band, they put on a good show without her, then they could talk this over after they came back from Manehattan and she could explain herself. And if her worst concerns ended up being correct, then she didn't want them anywhere near when bad things went down, not now that she was disconnected from the elements of harmony.

For now she would start with the school, if this person was interested in magic then they were bound to show up at the one place in Canterlot that had a lot of magical happenings going on.

Stopping just a block from the school, she warned Fluttershy that someone was snooping around the school and possibly looking for magic and that if she saw anyone to give her a call. Then pulled the hood of her sweater over her head and found a bench across the street from the school where she could sit and keep an eye out for anyone suspicious.


Meanwhile, in a hotel in the city, a certain blue haired guitarist was lying on the only bed in the room, her body stiff yet completely immobile. Something was up, she couldn't just leave Sunset Shimmer here alone! But she hadn't told Tino and Poppy yet, she'd just come in and lied down on the bed, said Sunset was staying with a friend and nothing else. What about their future? WHAT IF THIS WAS THE ONLY TIME THEY HAD A SHOT AT THE BALLROOM BLITZ?! But Sunset had basically told her to go. But what if that mysterious person was dangerous?! What if some jerks from the school jumped her?! DREAMS?! SUNSET!? SUNSET DREAMS?!??

Reaching up, she pulled the pillow down over her face, pressing down as she screamed into it.

"You think she's going to tell us what's eating her and where the hell Sunset is?"

"... probably."

Of course, Tino and Poppy had been just staring at their guitarist lying on the bed, after trying for about fifteen minutes yelling and prodding at her until giving up and opting to wait it out.

When the screaming finally stopped, Tino sat on the side of the bed and gently tugged the pillow away from Jackie's head.

"Uhhhh, Jacks-?"

"MY LIFE IS SO FUCKING SCREWED!"

"So is everyone's. Why specifically is yours fucked this time?"

"Argh! When me and Sunset Shimmer went to meet her friend yesterday some mystery person did something weird to the portal and it got Sunset worried, then we went to see Treehugger and one of Sunset's friends were there and JESUS CHRIST Chrysalis is the principal at the school and that scared the piss out of me! Then Sunset said she was staying and misunderstood what I said and thought I was abandoning her and got angry and basically told me that we could go on without her! And it's the BALLROOM BLITZ and if I stayed I'd be screwing you guys over and we might never get a shot like this again because what if word got around that we flaked and... and... jesus christ how could I have even thought about choosing a gig over Sunset Shimmer when she could get jumped or this mysterious person could be dangerous like she said and I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!"

At that point Jackie furiously ran her hands through her hair, making the case of bed head even wilder before she collapsed onto her back on the bed. Both Poppy and Tino were staring at Jackie in shock for a moment or two before they exchanged a glance. Then Tino smiled as he took Jackie by the hands and helped her sit up... where Poppy promptly smacked the guitarist right upside the head.

"OW!"

"DUMBASS! Jackson Vibrato, it cannot be said enough, but YOU. ARE. A. DUMBASS."

Rubbing the back of her head and looking confused, Poppy smacked the palm of her hand against her forehead before slowly pulling it down her face before explaining herself.

"Look, I can appreciate how you didn't want us to throw away our futures. But come on, no matter what you or Sunset could have said, we are not leaving a friend behind."

"Besides, it's been three months and you've stuck by her side no matter what. How could she even think you would abandon her now?"

Opening her mouth for a rebuttal, Jackie paused as she thought over the situation. Sure it had only been three months, but did Sunset really think so little of her that she would abandon her at the drop of a hat? Slowly she crossed her arms and thought the situation over for awhile longer before her eyes widened.

"Son of a bitch. She Spidermanned me! MOVIE Spidermanned me-FUCK!"

Jumping out of bed, Jackie began flinging her old clothes off and pulling on clean ones as she dictated to her band mates.

"Tino! Where's Sandy and Bobby!?"

"Sandy went out to get breakfast after packing the van where Bobby is waiting!"

"Call Sandy and wait for her! Poppy! Move our gear out of the moving van and into the room! It has less of a chance to be stolen in here! Then the three of you take the moving van and head to the high school! We're dealing with Chrysalis here, we'll need all our power combined to deal with her!"

Both nodded, shivering at their own memories of high school with Chrysalis as principal before Tino spoke up.

"So you and Bobby are going on ahead of us? Wait, are you gonna take my van?!"

"DAMN RIGHT!"


It was about an hour later that the buses from Crystal Prep Academy arrived, the students filing out and heading to the auditorium where the welcome party was being held. All of the students carried themselves with an air of superiority, putting on the airs of model students as Principal Cinch had expected of them. Abacus Cinch was a severe looking woman yet had a sense of refinement and poise about her gave her a certain attractiveness. As the woman stepped off one of the buses and brushed some dirt off her suit, she was followed by Dean Cadence, a lovely, caring young woman that managed to keep her composure despite how nervous she felt.

Both headed to the front entrance of the school where principal Chrysalis stood at the top of the steps with a morose looking vice-principal Luna stood next to her. Principal Cinch stood at the bottom of the stairs, gazing up to the green haired woman, appraising her before a light smirk came to her lips.

"Chrysalis. It certainly has been awhile. I hadn't seen you since I turned you down to be dean at my school."

"Yes. It certainly has, Abacus Cinch."

Then poisonous green eyes turned to look at the current dean of Crystal Prep Academy, a slightly hateful glint coming to them in contrast to the smile on her face.

"Cadence. It has been awhile since the last time I saw you. I hope you've been having pleasant time as Dean?"

"It has. And congratulations on becoming principal of Canterlot High."

"Mm, yes. I have to say I have very much been enjoying it. But now that the pleasantries are out of the way, shall we?"



Across the street, Sunset Shimmer had stayed on her bench, trying her best to keep an eye out for anyone suspicious despite the buses blocking much of her view. When they finally moved out of the way, she breathed a sigh of relief and continued her constant vigilance. On the way to school, Fluttershy had explained a bit what the Friendship Games were and had guessed these were the students of Crystal Prep Academy. None of them seemed suspicious but... she thought she spotted a familiar hair color in the crowd, yet soon dismissed it when something else caught her attention.

Namely a familiar looking van that pulled up to the side of the street as her two roommates sprang out and managed to get inside on the tail end of the students from Crystal Prep!

"No! No! No!"

Launching herself off the bench, Sunset Shimmer ran across the street, ignoring the car horns blaring at her as she ran up to the front doors of the school. Yet as she tugged on them, she found they wouldn't open for her!

"CELESTIA DAMMIT!"

Pulling out her cellphone, Sunset quickly dialed Celestia's number, hoping the woman would pick up fast and be able to help her.


"So... you really think Sunset Shimmer is here?"

"Bobby, Treehugger's mom said she went off to school with Treehugger and Fluttershy and this place is weird magic catastrophe central. She has to be here."

"But why didn't you try calling her cell phone?"

"... because I was in a hurry and shut up Bobby."

"Okay, second question... why are we following this group of students? It's not like we blend in."

"Uhhh..."

"A very good question. Now tell me, why are you following my students?"

Both jumped before realizing they had been caught by the woman who had suddenly appeared in front of their path. Jackie grimaced, seeing that said woman looked to be all business and no nonsense so the likelihood of lying their way out of it seemed a bust. However, Bobby could not tear his eyes away from her. While many might have been put off by her rigid demeanor, he could see and appreciate the sophisticated beauty that permeated from her being. Of course Abacus Cinch would immediately see the strange look on Bobby's face.

"What is wrong with him?"

"What? ... oh god dammit Bobby, really? You can't reign that in NOW?"

"Reign what in?"

"Erm... he's attracted to a certain kind of woman, Miss-?"

"Abacus Cinch. And if this is a joke then I do not find it amusing."

It was at this point Bobby found his voice and interjected.

"N-No! Not at all Miss Cinch. I'm sorry, I... I kinda get dumb around pretty women."

In her mind Jackie added 'and older women' to what the man had said as she turned and pinched the bridge of her nose.

"Oh my god Bobby..."

Still, this seemed to be having an effect on Miss Cinch, the woman seemed fairly flustered and Jackie saw an opening. While Bobby was busy acting like a love sick puppy towards a woman who seemed to have no idea what to do in the situation, the guitarist slowly side stepped the two before hurrying off to the double doors she had seen the crowd of students head through.

On the other side she could of sworn she had stepped into a funeral parlor with how quiet and gloomy all of the students were being. Well, the ones in the fancy uniforms were being quiet, the ones that weren't in a school uniform just looked like the saddest group of teens she had ever seen. And she had played at a goth bar once!

Trying to be as inconspicuous as possible, she moved between groups, searching around for three specific girls until she spotted a familiar pink haired girl sitting by herself on the bleachers.

"Yo Fluttershy!"

Flinching, the girl glanced up with wide eyes as Jackie approached and took a seat next to her.

"About time I found you. Look, you know where Sunshine is?"

"The... the last time I saw her, she was sitting on a bench across the street."

"Seriously?! Shiiiiiiit..."

The rambunctious guitarist seemed to be gaining attention from those nearby, especially from a certain blonde farmer who turned and headed to the stage where Chrysalis was having a 'pleasant' conversation with Dean Cadence.

"I'll have to slip out and hope she's still there. She must think that mystery person will come back to the statue or something-"

"Hey, who the hell are you and why are you talking to 'Shy?"

Wait, that voice sounded familiar... and apparently belonged to the rainbow haired girl that was approaching. If Jackie had to guess based on the toned frame and the attitude, she was either a jock or one of the popular kids. Two cliques that Jackie found she hadn't liked very much when she had been in high school so this was bound to be a fun conversation.

"First name Nunya, last Your Business. I was just about to leave kiddo."

Narrowing her eyes, Rainbow Dash placed her hands on her hips, taking a sort of alpha dog attitude.

"You're talking to my friend. This is my business, so answer the question before I kick your sorry butt."

"Fine, Jackson Vibrato. So nice to meet you."

"Jackson... wait, the Jackson Vibrato that took Sunset Shimmer to Los Pegasus?"

"Uh yeah? Wait... fuck, I remember you! You're the asshole on the other end that was shouting into my ear when I was hung over!"

"What did you call me?!"

"What, you hard of hearing?"

By now Jackie was on her feet and squaring off with the shorter girl, eyes locked as they outright glared at each other. Before things could get ugly though... they got even worse.

"Well, well, well... I never thought that when I left Los Pegasus some unfortunate pest would follow."

Tensing, Jackie's hands clenched into fists before she turned to face the one woman she had hoped to never see again in her entire life.

"Chrysalis... I'd of thought Canterlot City would have higher standards than to hire a bitter old bitch like yourself."

"Still with the mouth. You talk very big for a burnout who barely passed high school."

While Jackie was busy fuming, Chrysalis waved a hand, dismissing Applejack and making the blonde slowly start to walk away. She looked to Rainbow Dash, the two exchanging a look for a moment before the farmer continued on her way to stand off in a corner by herself.

"Now, unless you would like for me to call the police to escort you out, I suggest you leave, Vibrato."

They exchanged a long look before Jackie began to walk away... only to sprint over to the stage and pull herself up before hijacking the microphone.

"I don't know what this event is about and I still think this place sucks for what it did to Sunset Shimmer, but listen up! RISE UP AGAINST THE TYRANT! You can't let her take away your right to freedom of happiness! You're teens god dammit! Chrysalis is everything you should be rebelling against! TRUST ME! I survived FOUR YEARS with her! If you can't topple her, then find your happiness! Scream! Shout! Dance! GET CRAZY!"

"Vice Principal Luna, call the police! NOW!"

During all of this, a lone girl with perfectly straight, short pink hair and light blue eyes stared at the display. Shocked and in awe at the boldness this lone woman was showing. How long had it been since she'd been happy here? How long had she had fun with her friends? How could she stand here when this was a party emergency?! After a moment's hesitation, the poof suddenly came back to her hair as Pinkie Pie knew what she had to do!

Glancing around quickly, she quickly grabbed the person next to her by the wrist and quickly dragged them off.

"Come on this world's Twilight! WE NEED TO LIVEN UP THIS PARTY!"

"W-What!? Wait, how do you know my name?!"

When Pinkie Pie and Twilight returned with two presents as large as themselves, Chrysalis was still arguing with Jackie, the guitarist refusing to get off the stage and really seeming to get the woman's goat.

"W-What are these for?"

"Can't have a party... WITHOUT PARTY CANNONS!"

Suddenly the sides of the presents fell down and with the pull of the strings, a pair of bright blue cannons fired off, spraying the room with confetti and almost magically changing the entire mood. Cupcakes were set up, better music was being played at the DJ booth... and people were smiling! Pinkie Pie hadn't felt this good since before the Anon-A-Miss incident! She began to giggle as a big smile came to her face as she felt a warmth in her heart, not hearing the beeping coming next to her from their world's Twilight Sparkle.

The girl adjusted her glasses and looked at the pendant around her neck, holding it up and seeing that there were two magical sources! One weak and coming from Pinkie Pie but also a strong source coming from the stage! Then, as it had at the statue, the pendant opened up and suddenly began sucking the magic away from Pinkie Pie, the girl turning pale and her hair straightening as she fell to her knees. Panicking, Twilight ran off to hide under the bleachers, unaware that a certain principal had seen what had happened when she had turned to deal with the new annoyance of Pinkie Pie.


"I cannot thank you enough for letting me in Discord."

"Think nothing of it Sunset Shimmer! While I may work for that heinously dressed Chrysalis now, I simply cannot turn down a request from our dear Celestia!"

Sunset hurried down the hallway, Discord having told her that he saw Bobby following the Crystal Prep Academy's Principal towards the auditorium where the welcoming party for the Friendship Games was being held. It sounded like a ruckus was coming from behind the closed doors but her attention was momentarily grabbed by the fact that Bobby seemed to be... flirting with the woman?

"I mean, I dunno how long I'll be in town for but I thought that, if you want, maybe you'd like to go for coffee?"

"Really now Mister Bookkeeper, I have neither the time nor the patience for your inappropriate behavior! It sounds out of control in there and I need to-"

Suddenly the doors flew open, knocking Abacus Cinch into Bobby and sending both of them toppling to the floor with the woman on top of the college student. She would of been very angry if the close proximity and feel of the young man's hard chest didn't leave her rattled.

"God dammit Bobby, get up- Sunshine!"

The guitarist hurried towards Sunset and skidded to a stop in front of the red head.

"Jackie! You're not supposed to be here! I told you-"

"No-no-no! You do not get to be angry after trying to make me Mary Jane, Spiderman! Look, I shouldn't have even considered leaving you behind like I did! And no matter what you say-"

"VIBRATO! STAND STILL! THE POLICE WILL BE HERE VERY SOON!"

"SHIT! No matter what you say I'm sticking through you and all of us will too gotta' go bye!"

With that said, she ran off down the hallway, looking for the nearest exit while Sunset Shimmer stared after her and Discord's roaring laughter filled the halls. Chrysalis in the meantime, could be seen through the open double doors, absolutely furious that someone had made her look foolish in front of her own students and those from Crystal Prep. As she turned, she glanced down to Pinkie Pie, the girl passed out on the ground now. Chrysalis merely sneered before looking to Discord and motioning to the prone girl.

"Take her to the nurse's office and be quick about it Discord. I must bring this whole fiasco under control before I deal with her."

"Yes'm."

Having to reign in his usual demeanor and be serious since one of his favorite students was in trouble, Discord moved forward and scooped Pinkie Pie up into his arms. It gave Sunset the chance to have a better chance at seeing her, eyes widening when she realized it was one of her ex-friends before hurrying to follow after Discord.

Author's Note:

AH-HA! For now you see, I have a purpose to everything!

Yeah I hate Spiderman logic too but it was the only way I could think of to set this scenario up. SURPRISE. :trollestia:

But yeah, I wondered about how to place this and give Sunset Shimmer the next clue as to who the mystery person might be. However there is a sort of reason I'm having Twilight be able to siphon off magic from the humane 5.

1) They still have good in them, a good that made them the elements of the human world anyway, it's just very weak since their friendships have been effected by the events of Anon-A-Miss.

2) Well... I kinda need it for what I have planned.


STAY TUNED!