• Published 24th Aug 2016
  • 4,086 Views, 129 Comments

All Apologies - Gpizano



On the way to Manehattan for a gig, Sunset Shimmer and the Pony Breakers find themselves swept up in the dangerous going ons surrounding the Friendship Games.

  • ...
15
 129
 4,086

Sunburn with Freezer Burn

"What?! Discord, are you sure?"

With her phone held to her ear, Sunset Shimmer was quickly rushing down the steps from the second floor of the school and heading towards the school's outdoor field where the second round of the Friendship Games was about to begin.

"That's what she told me Sunny Shim! She was talking with Crystal Prep's Twilight Sparkle when a weird device that looks like an amulet around her neck sucked all the magic out of Fluttershy!"

"Ugh, phrasing Discord. But thanks for letting me know, is Fluttershy okay?"

"Mm, a little woozy but our lady tyrant of CHS made the poor thing get up and get ready for the second round of games. You'll probably find human Twilight there as well since she's competing!"

"Yeah, I figured. Gotta' go."

"Keep in touch Shimmy Sun!"

Rolling her eyes, Sunset Shimmer hung up her phone and pushed through the double doors that lead outside to where the sports field once was, the entire area replaced with a small obstacle archery course, a roller derby rink around that and a dirt race track around that. It looked like things were about to kick off but before she could make an attempt to rush out to Twilight, she spotted a few police snooping around, most likely looking for Jackie. If she interfered now then Chrysalis would probably have her dragged off in handcuffs so for now she acted casually, finding a spot off to the side of the track where she could watch everything. From her position she was able to spot Bobby, Tino, Sandy and Poppy by the bleachers where all the students sat, then took out her phone to text Jackie.

'Where are you?'

'Hiding under the platform where I'm guessing her royal bitchiness and the other three will be sitting.'

'I found out whose responsible. It's this world's Twilight Sparkle.'

'I know that's the name of your princess pony friend but what does this human Sparkle look like?'

'She's an archer for Crystal Prep, the one with the glasses.'

'Okay, yeah I see her!'

'The device she's using to collect magic is a small device around her neck. We can't make a move right now but after this round of games is over, I'll be able to move in and talk to her. In the meantime, just keep an eye out and I'll text the others to let them know whose responsible.'

'You got it, Sunshine.'


With that, Jackie put her phone back in her pocket and continued looking out from beneath the platform to watch the events. She peeked out from around the Canterlot High banner that hung down, the thing large enough to provide plenty of cover when a conversation from above caught her attention.

"Dean Cadence, I would rather not talk about the degenerate who has seen fit to mock me!"

Degenerate? Did she mean Bobby? With her curiosity piqued, Jackie looked over the metal poles that held up the structure before she shimmied her way up to the top, wanting to better listen through the floorboards at the conversation taking place.

"Well, if I may say so Abacus, he didn't seem mean or malicious. He seems like a perfectly nice, cute guy that's really attracted to you."

"That's hardly the point."

"Then what is the point, if I might ask?"

"... you'd hardly understand Cadance, you're such a romantic."

"Try me?"

By now Jackie was pressing her ear right to the plank of wood above her, silently urging for Principal Cinch to continue. Which she did after a long pause and then a sharp, quick sigh.

"It's not that I'm not... flattered. And it's only a small part of it that he says he's just passing through, I can at least appreciate him being honest. Or at the very least that he's... sincere? In what he wants. But really Cadance, how would it look for a woman of my age and reputation to be caught robbing the cradle?"

"Oh come on now."

"I'm serious. You know my reputation is everything to me. I pulled myself up from the bottom, I came from nothing and elevated myself beyond anything my family had ever achieved, and I sure as hell fought hard to become the principal of the prestigious Crystal Prep Academy by being effective and completely professional. I've already given up a lot of other opportunities. I've dedicated myself towards a legacy I want to last long after I am gone. I don't want to lose that because I indulge in a fling with some random young man."

"I can understand that. But can you honestly tell me that you aren't even a little interested?"

"..."

"What you do in your life after school hours is your business, Abacus. No one else's. And I don't believe your legacy will be thrown away just because you indulge in a very human desire."

"Shh, vice principal Luna and Principal Chrysalis are coming. It's time for the games to begin."

With a hand over her mouth and eyes wide, Jackie nearly fell off the pipe she was clinging to as she shimmied down it. Once she was back on the ground, she whipped out her phone and shot off a text to Bobby.


The rounds started with a bit of a flair from Principal Chyrsalis and Principal Cinch calling for the games to start. It would proceed as thus, once the two archers for one team hit a bulls eye, the two on the roller derby team would race around the rink, once they hit the required number of laps, the two on the motocross team would race around the track to the finish line, winning the second round of the games for their team. Crystal Prep Academy started strong in the archery division, Sour Sweet blazing through the obstacle course, going into a roll as she knocked and fired three arrows, hitting her targets!

Poor Fluttershy, having made it to the field at the last possible second, moved slow, taking much longer to hit a target than Sour Sweet since not only were her nerves working against her since she was having to perform in front of a crowd but she was also still fatigued from having her magic drained earlier. As she stepped to the side, she cast a weary glance over at Twilight, her late arrival giving her no chance to warn anyone before the games started.

However this really didn't give Crystal Prep the edge since in addition to be very clumsy and not very athletic, Twilight's thoughts were preoccupied with what was happening here at CHS. That and, of course, her dog could now talk! By the time she finally made it to the stage where she would try to hit a target, Fluttershy had finally found her mark and Applejack was already racing through the course. The farmer had been practicing extra hard and hit a target on her first try, allowing the roller derby team of Pinkie Pie and Rarity to start their laps!

As relieved as she felt that this would get Chrysalis off her back, Applejack felt something gnaw in the pit of her stomach as she watched Twilight struggle to hit a target. The pressure was obviously getting to her and it didn't help her own classmates were hassling her. Yet as much as it bothered Applejack, she stayed rooted in place, Chrysalis's voice echoing in her head.

'You really think you can just duck out on participating in the games? I think not. With your athletic abilities your participation is mandatory so that this school can finally win against Crystal Prep Academy! However, I suppose that if you don't want to participate, then I can't stop you.

By the way, how is your sister doing these days? It was a real stroke of luck nothing... worse happened to her.

I've gone over cases of cyber bullying, did you know that in cases where if someone is harmed through a person's malicious actions on the internet, it can be considered a violation of the harmed party's civil liberties? Oh yes, it can be a very serious offense. I suppose it is lucky that no one has suggested to certain students who have influential fathers that they have a very good case against your sister and her friends. It would be a shame if that were to happen... I know you friend Rarity agrees with me.'

The farmer's hand clenched tightly around the bow in hand. She didn't know anything about the law but when she asked Rarity the fashionista all but confirmed that what Chrysalis said was true. The woman kept that threat over Applejack's head, to make her participate in the games and to also act as a sort of informant to keep an eye on things going on. But then another voice echoed in her head.

"... you're going to hate yourself for it."

And that girl from the hallway was right. She hated what she was doing, spying on people, letting this world's Twilight Sparkle squirm and cry. It wasn't the type of person she was, it wasn't honest. No, there had to be a way around this. All the Apple family could pull together for a lawyer. Then there was Aunt and Uncle Orange, even if they never spoke much they were bound to know good lawyers and would support their niece. The bottom line was that she had rolled over way too easy for Chrysalis!

"Ah can't take it no more!"

Shoving her bow into a surprised Fluttershy's hands, not hearing the timid girl try to speak up and warn her as she marched over to Twilight and began to instruct her, making the other teen straighten her stance and tell her to aim for where the target would be. The result was a success! Twilight hitting a target dead center and allowing the Crystal Prep derby team to take off and start catching up with Rarity and Pinkie Pie. Before Applejack could say anything else though, Twilight launched herself at the blonde and gave her a hug.

"Thank you! Thank you so much!"

"Heh, don't worry 'bout it. Ah jes' got mah head on straight."

And if felt good. She still had a lot to make up for with the spying and she'd have to bust ass to make sure Applebloom would be safe, but she was starting to feel like her true self again. Applejack could feel like the weight on her heart was lifting some, making her feel like she was given a small boost of energy. Then there came a strange beeping nose that came from the human Twilight Sparkle.

"A-Applejack! Get away!"

But it was too late, the device around Twilight's neck opened up and began to drain away the farmer's magic! The blonde tried to struggle against it to no avail as she felt herself grow weaker.

"W-What-?! What are... ya' doin' ta' me?!"

"Oh no! No! No! No!"

Pulling on the device, it wouldn't budge until it had finished draining Applejack's magic, to which Twilight would fall backwards off the platform and hit the ground. As the device hit the ground too, the impact caused it to snap off of the string, rolling away before it to let loose just a small amount of energy. That energy just so happened to be enough that it began ripping open multiple holes in reality, showing another world that was very familiar to Sunset Shimmer... and that had giant pony/human eating plants coming through! The red head's eyes widened considerably upon seeing this, especially when one of the portals opened up on the track and became a deadly hazard for the motocross racers! Seeing the police officers stunned and baffled by this turn of events, Sunset took advantage of the opportunity and ran past them, heading to Twilight Sparkle who was trying desperately to free her foot form the grasp of one of the carnivorous plants to get to the device.

Meanwhile, on the motocross track, a plant had sprouted up and caught Sugarcoat's bike, the girl hanging on for dear life as Flash Sentry had to make a wild maneuver to dodge and lost control, falling off of his bike and hitting the ground. Indigo Zap and Rainbow Dash had made it through, but seeing Flash Sentry down made the Wondercolt turn her bike around and go back. Ever since the Anon-A-Miss incident, she'd had plenty of time to think about how she had failed so badly to be a loyal friend. To hell with competition and Chrysalis, she was not going to leave a friend behind, especially when they were in trouble!

By now Sugarcoat had fallen down, bouncing along the body of the plant to land on the ground, which had spit out her bike and was rearing back to lunge at Flash Sentry! But at the last second, Rainbow Dash reached out her hand, grabbing his and pulling him onto her bike as they just barely managed to dodge the plant.

"Whoa! Thanks for the save Dash!"

"No problem! I'm never going to leave a friend hanging ever again!"

After the bike skid to a stop, Rainbow Dash felt a surge and quickly got off the bike, removing her helmet as she ponied up, taking to the air with a mighty flap of her wings.

"But Chrysalis is going to have a fit if we don't win, get going!"

With a nod and a salute, Flash Sentry revved off the bike and took off after Indigo Zap, shortening the gap and even taking the lead when the girl's bike ran into a hole in the ground created by one of the plants. For Rainbow Dash's part, she ran defense for the racers, distracting and tackling the plants when they tried to go for either Indigo Zap or Flash Sentry. In the end, Flash Sentry managed to cross the finish line first and get the win for CHS!

"Awesome! Oh shit, AJ!"

Flying over and landing on the platform just as her magic faded, Rainbow Dash moved to the blonde's side and helped her to her feet.

"Ah'm fine, Dash. But she don't look happy."

Looking to the platform, Rainbow Dash grimaced when she saw the look Chrysalis was giving to them. The woman motioned to a spot off to the side of the field before storming down the steps of the platform, Rainbow Dash and Applejack moving to meet her in private for no doubt another unpleasant conversation.

Meanwhile, Twilight Sparkle had finally reached the device and closed it, causing the plants to retreat into the portals as they closed up. Spike and Sunset Shimmer, both of whom had been grappling with the plant that had been tangling up Twilight, fell to the ground, sharing a relieved sigh before Sunset's face screwed up into anger as she looked to Twilight. However, before she could say anything, the police officers were calling to her and starting to approach, allowing Twilight to collect her dog and slip away. Yet just when she was hoping an escort off school grounds would be the least of her worries, two dirt clods hit the officers square in the back of the head.

"Hey pig-pig-piggies! Sooooooie! Sooo- OH SHIT!"

Standing by a pile of dirt that had been left over from making the motocross track, Jackie had been taunting the two police officers but the call had summoned about eight others, all charging at the guitarist who took off like a shot back into the school building and taking the officers with her. As worried as Sunset was for the other, she knew she couldn't let the distraction go to waste. So with a relieved sigh, she looked around to see where Twilight had gone.

The Crysal Prep student had not gone far, hiding behind one of the pillars that held up one of the jumps of the motocross track, having stumbled upon Principal Chrysalis chewing out Applejack and Rainbow Dash for 'helping the enemy' and such. But the rainbow haired girl squared her shoulders and shot back.

"Look, CHS got the win didn't it? Us helping the other team didn't do any harm!"

"That is yours and Miss Applejack's only saving grace Miss Dash! And CHS had better win the last round and be the victor in these games! Or need I remind you of the consequences again if you fail?"

This time it was Applejack's turn to speak up.

"Ya'... ya' can't threaten us, ya' can't threaten me no more! Ah'll fight tooth n' nail if'n ya' do encourage some students ta' go after Applebloom with their fancy lawyers! Ah got an aunt n' uncle in Manehattan and a whole mess o' family that'll help!"

"Oh really? Even if you do actually have family members that are more well off, do you really want to go against Filthy Rich when his daughter convinces him to put the screws to you? I know he's a big financial backer of your family, do you think you can even survive financially if he pulls his support and drags things out for years in the courts?"

There was silence and without even looking Twilight could just feel the smirk on Principal Chrysalis's lips.

"That's what I thought. I don't care how you do it, win that final round. Good luck."

Hearing the woman walk away, Twilight Sparkle peeked around the pillar and saw Applejack was close to tears, Rainbow Dash embracing the farm girl in an attempt to comfort her but the athlete had a grim look as well. It hurt her heart to see them so miserable. Wasn't there something that could be done? Slowly she took the magic collecting device out of her pocket and glanced down to it before she felt a hand on her shoulder, forcing her to turn around where she came face to face with the red and yellow haired girl that had helped free her from the plant. She flinched at the harsh look she was being given and glanced down at the hand extended out to her.

"Give it."

"G-Give what?"

"You know what! You've been collecting magic from around here with that device in your hand, now hand it over!"

Gulping softly, Twilight pocketed the device before steeling her nerves.

"N-No... I need it for my research-"

"Are you kidding me? You could have gotten people killed! You have no idea what you're dealing with here!"

"I can handle it! And... and I need it for more than research, what Principal Chrysalis is doing isn't right-"

"Oh what? So the way she runs things is a good enough reason to risk more lives?"

"IT'S MORE THAN THAT! The way she's treating her students isn't right! They're good people and if you knew what was going on you would agree with me!"

"Look, I know it isn't right but you messing around with magic is a bigger problem!"

"So you do know but you don't care? They're so sad and miserable, how can you be so callous towards them?!"

After everything that happened today, it was clear Twilight was working Sunset Shimmer's last nerve. The red head closed her eyes and took a deep steadying breath before opening them again, pinning Twilight under her sharp gaze.

"Twilight... you have no idea what has happened around here, what has happened between me and the students of this school. So trust me when I say this that, as sorry as I feel for them, they did this to themselves. My biggest concern is you collecting magic. So please, hand that device over!"

Trapped between Sunset and the pillar, Twilight drew a blank on what to do as Sunset reached for her pocket. Yet Spike chose a perfect time to leap from her bag and bite the red head's hand, making her drew back as Spike released his grip and dropped to the ground.

"Son of a bitch!"

"Twi-light. Run!"

With an opportunity presented, Twilight Sparkle bolted with her pet hot on her heels. Sunset had moved to give chase but stopped after she stepped out from around the pillar, Rainbow Dash and Applejack on the other side, both looking equally sad. Applejack turned her gaze to the ground, leaving Rainbow Dash to be the one to speak up.

"Harsh."

"What, I'm not the one who had Celestia resign so that Chrysalis took charge."

Now that was harsh, Sunset knew this as soon as the words left her mouth and she saw the two flinch. But before she could reel it in, Applejack cut her off.

"No... no not that part. Yer right about that. She just meant ya' were harsh ta' Twilight..."

There was a tense silence between them, Sunset adjusting her black hoodie before walking past them, parting with these words.

"Tell me that later. When she loses control of that magic again and someone gets eaten by a plant."


The search for Twilight had proved fruitless until the start of the third and final round of the games. Somehow they were still going, whether it was because Chrysalis was determined to win or Principal Cinch wanted to keep an unbroken winning streak for Crystal Prep, she had no idea. But the teams had gathered in front of the school, Twilight finally appearing with her Crystal Prep classmates. Sunset Shimmer would have approached if not for the fact that Jackie was being lead out of the school in handcuffs by two police officers. The guitarist looked rather roughed up, most likely having been tackled by all ten police officers when they finally caught her.

Poppy looked ready to cause a commotion if Tino and Bobby hadn't been holding her back, Sandy approaching the police officers to try and talk them into letting Jackie go but it looked like it was going nowhere. Chrysalis looked absolutely pleased at seeing Jackie in handcuffs, sitting like a queen upon a throne in her seat as Cadence and Luna got ready to announce the start of the 'capture the flag' event. Yet Twilight Sparkle broke away from her group, walking past Cadence, Luna and Abacus Cinch and approaching the steps where Chrysalis was seated upon one of the four chairs there, a determined look in her face as she took the device out of her pocket. Sunset Shimmer was already off, running towards Twilight in an attempt to stop her from whatever she was planning to do.

"Principal Chrysalis... I want you to admit to what you're doing to your students. Or I will release the magic I've collected, here and now!"

The four adults were shocked, Chrysalis's eyes widening as the woman felt a sweat start to come.

"Miss Sparkle... I have no idea what you are talking about." 'You wouldn't dare!'

They locked gazes and Twilight had no doubts in her mind now. The students here had been kind to her, they had helped her. She knew what it was like to be stepped on and she couldn't stand seeing this woman have her boot to their necks! For the first time in Twilight's life she had the power and she was going to use it to help the students here! She opened the device just as Sunset Shimmer reached out to her.

"Twilgiht NO!"

The shock wave from the magic being released knocked Sunset Shimmer off her feet and sending her tumbling back. Shaking her head and pushing herself up onto her knees, she saw a large ball of magical energy before her... and a surprised and slightly fearful Twilight Sparkle being pulled into it, the girl obviously not having expected this to happen. She locked eyes with Sunset Shimmer, pulling a hand free to reach out to her... before she was totally engulfed and a flash of light blinded everyone.

When the light faded, everyone was stunned by the sight before them. Twilight Sparkle had been transformed into something both elegant and terrifying, her school uniform changed into a dark dress with knee high boots, her skin turned into a darker, more sinister shade of purple, her hair flowed above her head like a dark flame as wings of hellish black kept her in the air. A glowing blue horn protruded from her forehead, more blue magic surrounding her eyes in place of her glasses as the timid bookworm's face was twisted into an cruel, almost insane smirk as she laughed, the action chilling all around her to the bone.

"You were right! I had no idea what I was dealing with before. If I had, I would have done this sooner!"

Having looked to Sunset Shimmer when she said that, she turned her terrible gaze to Principal Chrysalis, casually holding out a hand and shooting a blast of blue magic at the top of the doorway, causing it to explode and send shards of stone and cement raining down on her. As Chrysalis raised her arms to shield herself, she glanced up and saw that Twilight Sparkle had ripped a hole right through to another world, it's name uttered by it's former resident Sunset Shimmer.

"Equestria."

"Oh, I cannot wait to explore that new world! But first..."

Floating a bit closer towards Chrysalis, the woman backing up until she was against the doors of the school, Twilight Sparkle raised a glowing blue hand.

"It's time for the truth, Principal Chrysalis. Unless you wish to face the wrath of Midnight Sparkle."

Author's Note:

Shit be getting intense yo'.

And you think it's reached the apex yet?

STAY TUNED!