• Published 11th Aug 2016
  • 988 Views, 85 Comments

No Pony's Sky - Vertigo22



A pony's continuing adventures through the universe.

  • ...
2
 85
 988

Close Encounters of the Wild Kind

Star Chaser levitated a bolt into the hyperdrive. “Okay, I've just gotta put this here and…”

The hyperdrive hummed to life and turned on.

“Hey, you did it!” Eon said. “I'm shocked. You only screwed up twice.”

“No thanks to you,” Star said.

“Hey, I offered to help,” Eon said. “And you ignored me.”

“Would you really have helped?”

“Yes,” Eon said. “Because I'm hopeful to see you encounter more animals and cry when they try to eat you.”

Star ignored the AI and grabbed the warp core. “Okay, now I just need to put this in,” he said. “Where does it go again?”

“The hyperdrive.”

“Yeah, but where in it?”

“There's a frigging hole where you put it, Star,” Eon said. “I swear, your eyesight is on par with that of a bat.”

Star rolled his eyes and looked for the hole. “Oh, it has a cap over it,” he said as he unsealed it. He skipped the warp core in and resealed it. “Okay, done!”

“You realise you're going to need dozens upon dozens more of those, right?”

“Unfortunately.”

“You know how to make them, right?”

“No,” Star said. “Every time I had to use these, I got them from a space station,” he said. “I’m going to guess it isn't easy?”

“To be honest, no,” Eon said. “Considering your disdain for going out and getting resources, it'll be the most excruciating thing in the entire universe.”

“I'm going to guess you'll enjoy every second of it?”

“Why of course!”

Star rolled his eyes once more and pulled up his galactic map. “Okay, let's see,” he said as he looked for a solar system he could jump to. “This one seems close enough.”

He hit his hyperdrive function and sat back as he flew towards the system.

“So, exactly why are we going to the center?” Eon asked. “Why not go back the way we came?”

“Where is that?” Star asked. “We've gone from solar system to solar system with a complete disregard for direction.”

“Well, I doubt Equus is at the center of it all.

“Look, I recall coming from the 'center of it all’.”

“I don't think we did,” Eon said. “I think we came from the outer edge.”

Star’s right eye twitched. He slammed his hooves onto his ship's steering wheel and yelled, “Damn it, Eon! I don't care what you think!” I will get home, even if it's the last thing I ever do!”

“Um… okay,” Eon replied. “Didn't think you'd react so harshly.”

Star closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “Sorry,” he said after a few deep breaths.

“Eh, I'm used to you throwing temper tantrums,” Eon said. “Just don't break your steering wheel. I don't think they sell those around here.”

Star let out a sigh as the ship arrived at its destination. “So, where are we?”

“Rodevuiutsi-Anu IX.”

“Do any of these systems have normal names?”

“Maybe one of them does,” Eon said. “But I don't think you have a say in what's normal since you're basically talking to air.”

“Fair point,” Star said as he scanned the star system. A marker appeared on the ship's map that read, “abandon building.” Star turned the ship in that direction and activated the ship's pulse drive as he flew towards the planet.

“You're oddly quiet, Star,” Eon said. “You aren't whining about the things I've said, and that's confusing me immensely.”

“I'm just thinking about home,” Star said. “It's helped me ignore you.”

“Right,” Eon said. “Is that why you ignored me completely while you replaced the hyperdrive?”

“Yes,” Star said as the ship entered the planet's atmosphere. “There are other things, but they aren't important.”

“You're behavior is concerning” Eon said. “Seriously, what's wrong?”

“Nothing is wrong, Eon!” Star snapped. “Stop asking me that! Please!

“You can't do a damn thing about it!” Eon taunted. “I'm a part of your suit! So…hah!”

Star let out a groan. He looked at the ship's map and sighed. “I have to fly another minute to get to the building.”

“It’s only a minute,” Eon said. “Quit being a baby.”

“But… I want to explore the planet! Wah!

“You're trying to hard to be annoying.”

“If I keep it up, will you get annoyed?”

“Don't you fucking dare.”

Star snickered to himself. “Oh, you have me an idea.”

“Ah, crap.”

Star landed his ship near the building. He opened the hatch and hopped out of the ship. The entire planet appeared to be dusty, as though it hadn't rained in awhile. Several rock formations and dead trees were scattered about, and the sky had a brown/yellow color to it. “So what's this planet called?” He asked.

“My sensors indicate it's called Nunelsestada,” Eon said. “It appears that there is fauna here! I can't wait for you to get attacked again.”

“Oh, joy,” Star said as he approached the building. “Just what I needed. Animals.” He entered the building and looked around.

A bizarre fungus covered a terminal, along with several parts of the wall, and numerous wires were exposed. A strange plant hung from the ceiling, and a red emergency light flashed.

“O-kay, what in Celestia's name happened here?” Star asked. “It looks like something out of a horror movie.”

“Maybe someone used too much plant food.”

“For once, your theory isn't that bad,” Star said as he approached the terminal. To his surprise, it was still functional. “Think something in here will be of use?”

“Are you sure you want to touch that?” Eon asked. “Despite everything I've said, I don't want to end up stuck in a planet for who knows how long. Or worse, with a fungal parasite possessed pony.”

Star grimaced at the thought. “Ummm… ah-hah!” He turned around and took out his multi-tool. He aimed it At the plant and fired the mining laser at it.

The beam sliced through the plant. “Score!” He exclaimed as he levitated the plant over to himself. He activated the terminal with the severed plant and tossed it aside.

“Star, that was perhaps the one intelligent thing you've done around me,” Eon said.

Star rolled his eyes as the terminal turned on. He approached it and glanced at the entry.

“Is there anything on the weird plant thing?” Eon asked. “Because it's starting to creep me out.”

“Nope,” Star said. “But there is a blueprint for a boltcaster!”

“Great, a firearm for someone like you,“ Eon said.

“Be quiet,” Star said. “Just remember: if I die, you're stuck staring at the dirt.” Star exited the building when he came face to leg with one of his greatest fears.

Wildlife.

Star looked up. In front of him was a creature that resembled a Velociraptor, but with yellow feathers along it's arms and the top portion of its back. Its skin was beige, and it had brown spots all across its body. Its feet resembled a bird's, and it fingers were long, and resembled the talons of a small birds.

The animal stared at Star, who took out his multi-tool and scanned the animal.

Ockoideni Fileiur

Temperament: Unpredictable

Diet: Insect-eater

Weight: 142.19 kg

Height: 2.40m

“Insect-eater?” Star asked. “Oh, that's not so-”

Before he could finish his sentence, the creature charged at Star, and swiped at him

“Yee-ow! Star yelled as stumbled back into the building.

“Warning: Shields at seventy five percent,” Eon said. “Also, that thing is four feet taller than you. I think it might mistake you for an insect.”

“Yeah, well, I'm going to show it-”

The creature charged through the door, which sent rubble flying in all directions, and let out a ferocious roar.

“Whotheapexpredatoris.” Star felt the roar shake him to his core.

The creature set its sights on Star and growled.

“Oh, fuck me,” he whimpered as he took out his multi-tool. “Die! Die!” He yelled as he fired the tools mining laser at its head.

The creature swiped once more st Star, who was flung against the wall. “Oh, sweet Celestia, that hurt.”

“Warning: shields at fifty percent,” Eon said. “Star, that thing might be too for you to handle,” he said. “Maybe you should just run.”

Star ignored the AI and levitated the multi-tool back over to him.

Only to get thrown against the wall again.

“Warning: shields at twenty five percent.”

“Maybe you're right,” Star said as he slowly stood back up. Star levitated the multi-tool over to himself and teleported to the hole that was once the entrance.

The creature let out a ground shaking roar and ran after the unicorn.

Star leaped up and, using his jetpack, reached higher ground. “Crap, where did I land?”

“Several yards west “ Eon said. “By the way, you may want to run.”

“Why?”

“Because my sensors indicate that there is a path up here, and I believe that creature is going to arrive-”

A familiar roar filled the air.

“-very shortly.”

“Oh, balls.” Star turned around and took several steps back. He took his multi-tool out and fired the mining laser off at the creature.

The creature charged at Star, ignoring the laser as if it was nothing but a light slap. It slammed into the small unicorn and sent him flying back several feet.

“Warning: shields down!”

Star landed in the ground and looked up. His vision blurred as the creature stomped closer and closer.

“Star, just get the hell out of here before you become dinner,” Eon said.

Star stood up and levitated his multi-tool back over to him. He turned around and ran towards the building. He leaped across the opening and floated safely onto the roof.

“Please tell me you aren't going to try and kill it,” Eon said.

“Hell no!” Star replied. “I'm going to get to as high of ground as possible and run far, far away!” he said as he used his jetpack to get to the top of a cliff. Behind him, he could hear a loud crash, followed by an ear-piercing roar.

Star turned around and looked down at the creature, which was wildly flailing through the rubble of the building.

“Star, stop gawking at the creature and get out of here before its family shows up!”

Star shook his head. “Sorry!” He said as he ran west. Across from the cliff, he could see his ship.

Below, the creature—now with wounded from the rubble and wires inside the building—limped out of the building and let out another roar. It glanced up at Star and charged up the path.

Star looked down. “Eon, I'm going to do something so royally stupid that I might die.”

“You're going to try and reach your ship?”

“Damn straight!”

“You. Are. A. Fucking. Dumbass.”

Star leaped off the cliff and floated towards his ship. “It's a lot less badass when you're safely floating towards it.”

“You're still a dumbass.”

“Yeah, I'll keep that in mind for the future.”

“No you won't.”

Star landed on the other side and glanced at the creature, which sported a look of pain on its face. Star frowned and ran towards his ship. He opened the hatch, hopped in, and started the ship up.

“Star, I know it's not like me to ask, but are you okay?”

“Yes, I am,” Star replied as he took off. “I appreciate your concern,” he said as he used his ships scanner. On his map, a waypoint for a manufacturing plant appeared.

“Are you really going to head there after the beating you took?” Eon asked. “Your shields managed to save you from serious injury, let alone certain death, but I'm still detecting Some pretty nasty bruising.”

“Thanks, Doctor Eon,” Star said with a small smile. “No, I'm going to land and sleep for the night, he continued as touched down next to a rock formation.

“Star, while I may act like a royal dick to you, you should've just escaped rather than trying to play badass and killing that thing.”

Star hopped the hatch to his ship and got out of it. “I know, Eon,” he said. “I fucked up, don't remind me.” Star staggered over next to a rock formation and looked up at the sky. The sun cast a bright, orange glow over the sky as it set. Star sighed and sat down near the rock. “You're like my parents rolled into one.”

“You've never mentioned your father once to me,” Eon said. “How am I like him?”

“So disapproving of my actions,” Star replied. “He would criticize everything I did. Be it the way I cooked or…” Star slumped down let out a sad sigh.

“Okay, I'm not going to take 'no’ for an answer anymore,” Eon said. “Tell me what's wrong now.

“I told you earlier that everything is fine!” Star snapped.

“Then tell me what else you did that father criticised.”

Star tilted his head down and remained silent.

“Come on, Star. Spit it out.”

Star let out a heavy sigh. He swallowed a lump in his throat and wiped away tears that had formed in his eyes. “Fine, I'll tell you what's wrong,” he said. “The longer I'm out here,” he said as tears welled up in his eyes, “the more homesick I get.”

“You said that your ex-marefriend hates you, as does your mom,” Eon said. “Exactly why are you homesick? Do you have a family member you do genuinely love and miss?”

“Well, I have a sister and brother who I both hold dearly,” Star said. “I was never exactly close to them, but they were my closest friends growing up.”

“What about your father?” Eon asked. “You said he criticized you. Do you maybe miss him for some arbitrary reason?”

“He loathed the idea of me joining the space federation,” Star said. “He said I'd end up dying in space, and that the family would never be able to hold a proper funeral because my body would either burn up re-entering the atmosphere, or would be nonexistent because a ship I was piloting—or on—would crash and I'd be nothing but ash.”

“Well, that's morbid,” Eon said. “Was he always like that?”

“No, I actually hung out with him more than my mother,” Star said. “But he'd always try to sway me away from going into space,” he said. “He'd point out every single accident and say that that could be me when I enter. A body amongst a bunch of burnt, twisted metal.”

“Did he have any specific reason for hating the federation?”

“I think he just hated the idea of going into space, and exploring new words. I don't know for sure though,” Star said. “For all I know, a friend of his or close family member died when they were in it. I never bothered to ask because I was afraid he'd get angry at me for asking.”

“What'd they say when you finally entered?”

“My mom didn't care, my dad was livid and broke a table in anger, my brother was neutral about it, and my sister was quiet. She never said a word to me,” Star said. “I just took their criticism and stuck to my guns. I wanted to fulfill my dream.”

“You seem to have handled this really well,” Eon said. “I'm genuinely shocked considering how reckless you were with the Gek.”

“I've often wondered if I just act that way as a means of hiding my sadness,” Star said. “You're the only thing that I can talk to since you were made to understand Equestrian. And considering how you've acted towards me…”

“Star, I told you that I was programmed to act that way around ponies who act like raging jackasses,” Eon said. “Of course, you could've always acted like this and maybe I never would've been so cruel to you.”

“Honestly, it was kind of nice. It felt like a way to blow off some steam.”

“Because the countless animals you killed wasn't?”

“There's a difference between defending myself from an animal with teeth big enough to go through my entire body vertically and yelling at someone who i can actually understand.”

“Fair point.”

Star smiled. He looked back up at the how star-filled sky as a gentle breeze brushed against him and blew up a bit of dust. “The planet is peaceful, even if it’s… barren,” he said. “It kind of reminds me of home in a way. We had this nice, cozy home near a river. It was so quiet and tranquil. It was like something out if a fairy tale. Well, with the exception of my mother, but she finally found help for her anger issues after several years.”

“Do you think your family believes you're dead?”

“That's a thought I'd rather not have cross my mind,” Star said. “I've honestly forgotten how long I've been out here. These planets don't have the same orbit time—or day to night cycle—as Equus. That honestly makes me wonder if it's maybe been years back there.”

“You know you don't age differently when on different planets, right?”

“I know that,” Star said. “But still. The idea of having lost so many potential memories with them… it makes me sad.”

“You wanted to explore new worlds,” Eon said. “You shouldn't be saddened that missed out on memories with your family. You brought it upon yourself since you pursued your dream.”

Star looked at the ground and shed a tear. “I know,” he said softly. “And I regret it.”

“Geez Star, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually hate seeing you like this more than when I see you as you normally are,” Eon said. “This is just depressing.”

Star lifted his head up and looked up at the sky. Hundreds of stars now filled it and shined brightly. “I'm sorry,” he said. “I'll try my best to not let my emotions get the best of me.”

“Honestly, Star, I… kind of respect you a little more,” Eon said. “It's nice knowing there's a side to you that isn't the obnoxious and arrogant dick that I've been stuck with this entire time.”

“Thanks, Eon,” Star replied. “That actually means a lot to me.” Star let out a sigh and walked to his ship.

“You're welcome.”

Star opened the hatch to his ship. “Hey Eon?” He asked as he looked back up at the sky one last time.

“Yes, Star?”

“Do you think we’ll ever get back home?”

Eon remained silent for a several seconds before finally saying, “I don't know.”

Star hopped back into his ship. A large frown formed on his face and his eyes welled up with tears. He rested his forelegs on the ship's steering wheel and buried his face into them.

“Are you okay, Star?” Eon asked.

“I just want to go home!” Star replied as tears rolled down his face. “I miss them all so much!”

Author's Note:

I decided to try to add some emotion to this chapter. Tell me what you thought!