• Published 8th Aug 2016
  • 12,707 Views, 704 Comments

Loved And Lost - EquineAvenger



This day could've been just perfect, the kind of day of which I've dreamt since I was small. But from too many betrayers, screwups, disgraces, and failures. Now the wedding bells will never ring at all.

  • ...
37
 704
 12,707

Chapter 12 (Edited 08/11/19)

That night in the square of Canterlot, a huge gallows was setup. A huge crowd of ponies were gathered around the execution structure. In the middle of the crowd, a big royal viewing booth was setup facing the gallows. The booth contained Jewelius who sat in his seat with Twilight Sparkle seated on his left and Vivian seated on his right. His other cousin, Blueblood, was also there. However, the once self-absorbed unicorn prince was now reduced to a servant of his cousin. Blueblood was nervously filing Jewelius’s right hoof being careful not to scratch it lest he face the king’s wrath. Celestia, Shining Armor, Spike, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy were all in chains and positioned in front of the gallows facing the crowd. The crowd consisted of so many citizens, nobles, and even the old bridesmaids: Lyra Heartstrings, Minuette, and Twinkleshine. Some ponies in the crowd had looks of pity on their faces, as if they felt sorry for the eight prisoners, but most of them looked very angry and were shouting and yelling insults at the prisoners. Jewelius had a look of sadistic satisfaction on his face as he watched the prisoners suffer. Vivian had her usual emotionless and uncaring expression. Twilight had a look of pity and disappointment on her face.

"When you said you would make an example out of them, I didn't think you'd mean this," Twilight said to her fiance in a very uneasy tone. As upset as she was with the accused, including her former mentor, she didn't think any of them, especially Celestia, deserved to be sentenced to death. When she was princess, Celestia never even believed in the death sentence. Despite everything she'd been through, she still couldn't find it in her broken heart to hate them.

"I know you and Celestia were once very close for many years, my dearest," Jewelius spoke in a tone of false understanding and gentility. "But as we've all learned from this tragic experience, we can't always forgive and forget, especially when there are serious repercussions involved. I know this is hard for you, Twilight, but as your only true friend, mentor, and future husband, you have to let them all go. You have to free yourself from their hazardous influence just like everypony else has. If you don't, you'll just be welcoming more heartache into your life."

Twilight didn't like this in the slightest. But deep down she felt there was some truth in Jewelius's words. She also felt she owed him for being the only one who stayed by her side when everypony else deserted her. She gave a reluctant nod of understanding. Her facial expression looked almost emotionless because she was using a great deal of willpower to hold back the tears that ready to burst in order to look strong for the rest of the angry and hurting citizens.

"You make me proud," Jewelius congratulated. "You'll make a fine bride. Even finer than Cadance. Now let's move this along and get this over with."

“Make them apologize for ruining our lives!” one earth pony mare yelled from the crowd.

"Make them apologize for all the guards who swore their lives to them only to lose them!" a pegasus mare joined in.

“And you call yourselves the Elements of Harmony!” a unicorn stallion said.

More angry words were heard from the crowd.

“And you five had the nerve to steal our positions as bridesmaids when we disappeared!” An angry Lyra yelled to the five.

“We didn’t steal anything!” Pinkie said.

“They were given to us by the bride!” Rarity pleaded.

“You mean the fake bride!” Minuette retorted. “As if it was hers to give.”

“We went missing!” Twinkleshine yelled. “Didn’t anypony besides Twilight find that suspicious? Didn’t anypony try to look for us? Why would none of you think to look into that?!”

“She said she fired you all because you were only interested in meeting Canterlot royalty,” Shining tried to explain.

Twinkleshine’s jaw dropped and her eyes began to water. “How could you believe that lie? I never did anything to anypony!” The unicorn dropped to her knees and started sobbing. Both Lyra and Minuette gently patted their friend on the back while giving Shining Armor angry glares. The crowd instantly started booing him.

“I didn’t mean to hurt her feelings!” Shining desperately said to the crowd.

“But you did!” Twilight coldly scolded him. “Just like me.”

Shining sadly lowered his head at his sister’s harsh words.

“Ya’ll don’t seriously want Celestia ta be executed, do yah?” Applejack asked the crowd.

“Who will raise the sun?” Fluttershy also asked.

For a moment, the crowd pondered their questions.

“Those are great questions,” Jewelius spoke. “But if you all remember from our history, unicorns were able to raise the sun and the moon before the Two Sisters came to power. Back then we were strong; we didn’t rely on so-called ‘all powerful’ alicorns or ponies wearing cheap jewelery to make sure our lives were safe and bliss. Over time, we’ve become soft and too dependent on others we thought to be more powerful. It is time for ponykind to get out of the shadows that we think protect us and begin the dawning of a new glorious era! The real Elements of Harmony are not in six random mares, they’re within all of us. It’s time for ponykind to all come together! We will work as one big progressing force and I will lead you in the coming days!”

“All Hail Jewelius! All Hail Jewelius! All Hail Jewelius!” the crowd chanted excitedly and supportively.

Jewelius bowed proudly to the cheering crowd while shooting malicious and triumphant grins to the prisoners who were staring in complete shock.

“You can’t be serious!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed in complete disbelief.

“We are!” Twilight coldly said.

“Twilight, Celestia is going to die!” Pinkie said fearfully.

“You have to help her!” Fluttershy pleaded.

“I’ve already tried,” Twilight coldly but also sympathetically replied. “I tried to prevent all this from happening. I even tried to find ways to convince everypony to let you all back into Equestria. Everything I ever did, I did to help you. But you wouldn’t let me. I’m sorry, girls. I don’t know what else I can do. I’m done.” Twilight bowed her head in pity.

The five mares’ hearts sank at their former friend’s words.

“Jewelius isn’t trying to save Cadance,” Fluttershy said in a desperate attempt to reason with the crowd. “He’s trying to kill her!”

The crowd gasped in shock and disbelief.

“Outrageous!” Jewelius shouted angrily. “I’m doing everything within my power to save her. Cadance is my cousin; she’s been like an older sister to me. Why would I do anything to hurt her?”

“Because you hate her!” Spike retorted.

“He’s always hated her!” Rarity angrily said.

“In fact, he was the one who let the changelings into Canterlot!” Pinkie yelled. “He’s been working with them all along!”

The whole crowd, and Twilight, gasped at hearing this.

“Horse feathers!” an earth pony mare yelled in denial. “He and Miss Sparkle saved all of Canterlot from those vile creatures. He couldn’t had been in league with them.”

“That’s because he double-crossed them!” Rainbow said. “Just ask Chrysalis herself!”

“You’re telling us to ask a creature who lies and deceives ponies to clarify the truth?!” a unicorn stallion asked in disbelief.

“Oh,” Rainbow Dash realized that wasn’t a logical idea.

“Jewelius is nothin’ but a self-servin’ rat with no loyalty tah anypony but himself!” Applejack said. “And if ah’m tellin’ you it’s true, then ya’ll know it must be. Ah’m the Element of Honesty.”

“So when you said we were best friends, you were being honest?” Twilight doubtfully asked AJ.

“Of course, sugarcube,” AJ replied.

“And are best friends supposed to have each other’s backs?” Twilight asked angrily.

“Yes,” AJ answered nervously seeing this was going in a bad direction.

“Then why did you all turn your backs on me when I needed you the most, after everything we’ve been through together, after learning a lesson in never taking a friend’s concerns lightly?” Twilight asked visibly angry and hurt. “Or was I never your friend to begin with, just a means to an end?” The crowd angrily yelled in agreement.

“I… I…” Applejack nervously struggled to think of an acceptable answer. Then she and the rest of the five realized that Twilight had a very valid point. How could they had forgotten such an important lesson? But because they did, their friend had lost all trust in them. There was nothing they could say to convince their former friend or the angry crowd.

“Sorry, girls,” Twilight said with pity. “It was fun while it lasted.”

The crowd continued shouting and ranting angrily at the prisoners.

Meanwhile, back in the dungeons, a guard was patrolling and making sure the changeling prisoners were all locked in their cells. Then a noise came from one of the cells. The guard looked in the cell and saw what looked like Jewelius in chains.

“Let me out of here this instant!” the Jewelius lookalike demanded.

“You’re not fooling me, insect,” the guard retorted. When he turned to leave, the sound of crying was heard. He turned back to find what looked like a small sobbing filly in the place of Jewelius.

“Please, let me out,” the filly tearfully pleaded. “I haven’t done anything wrong.”

“You’d better shut up or you’ll be in real big trouble,” the guard demanded leaning closer to the bars. Then the ‘filly’ jumped toward him, poked her hooves through the bars, grabbed his face, and slammed his head into the bars knocking him out.

“Thank you,” Chrysalis mocked the unconscious guard and used her horn to get the keys from his belt.

Back at the square, the crowd was still booing and yelling at the prisoners.

“Okay, maybe we should’ve been a little more focused on other things besides the wedding planning,” Rainbow Dash admitted. “But you have to admit, Twilight, the way you were acting didn’t make things any better.”

“My brother said that the wedding was ‘something that obviously wasn’t important to’ me,” Twilight reminded everyone. Shining cringed at being reminded of the dreadful things he said. “Well, did it ever occur to the eight of you that this wedding was important to so many other ponies, not just you?”

The prisoners were at a loss for words. Another thing they had not taken into account. The feelings of everypony in Canterlot who were also looking forward to such a magnificent event but were also very concerned for their safety. And now, all these ponies felt was betrayal.

“That’s unbelievable!” an earth mare shouted angry at the prisoners’ inability to come up with a good excuse for that.

“What even causes somepony to have selfish thoughts like that?” an angry pegasus stallion asked.

“How could you all think that I would stoop so low?” Twilight asked visibly hurt. “After all the times I’ve spent with all of you, how could you vilify me so easily?” the young unicorn was almost on the verge of tears. “I had just met Jewelius, but he understood me. Unfortunately, he didn’t have the power to do anything until now.”

“Jewelius is a fraud!” Spike said.

“He’s playing on your negative feelings!” Fluttershy desperately tried to reason with Twilight. But it only seemed to make the unicorn more upset.

“Stop it,” Twilight angrily said trying to keep herself from losing it.

“He’s taken all the pain and fear y’all feel from the changeling invasion and has turned into hatred which he has directed toward us!” AJ explained.

“Stop it,” Twilight repeated, but was beginning to sound a little more angrier.

“Celestia, please say something to Twilight,” Rarity pleaded to Celestia, whom she noticed had been sitting and hanging her head in shame the whole time.

Celestia lifted her head and looked at the white coated unicorn with a face of sadness. She opened her mouth as if to say something, but was suddenly cut off when an egg suddenly hit her in the face. Celestia turned her surprised face to the crowd to see who it was that threw the egg at her. She saw a small unicorn filly glaring at her with teary anger-filled eyes.

“My mom and dad were attacked by changelings!” the filly cried. “And now they’re both in the hospital because of YOU!” An older pegasus mare walked over to the crying filly and started gently patting her head in an effort to comfort her.

"My husband was a member of the Royal Guard, and now he's GONE!" an adult earth pony mare yelled with tears flowing from her eyes too.

Celestia couldn’t help but feel sorry and partly responsible for the pain these ponies were feeling.

“Twiliy!” Shining called to his sister. “Jewelius doesn’t love you. He’s only using you to make himself king. Please, you can’t marry him!”

“SSSHHHHHUUUUUTTTTT UUUUUUPPPPP!” Twilight tearfully yelled at the top of her lungs. Shining could see the pain in her teary eyes as she glared at him. Twilight buried her face in her right front leg and began sobbing. All the ponies who had turned their attention to her due to her sudden outburst, slowly turned back to the prisoners with furious glares on their faces.

“Just hang the disgraceful alicorn already and send these worthless ponies back to where they were banished!” a pony in the crowd yelled causing the rest of them to begin angrily ranting.

The prisoners finally realized that nothing they could say would convince the ponies that what they were trying to tell them was the truth. Jewelius had successfully turned all of Canterlot, including Twilight, against them. He had everypony wrapped around his hooves. They began to believe that their situation was now completely hopeless. It felt worse when they looked and saw Jewelius sparking his most cruel and triumphant grin. His face practically said ‘I win!’

“Calm down, everypony,” Jewelius commanded the crowd. “Now before the former princess’s sentence is carried out, is there anything you would like to say, Celestia?”

Celestia gave a small glare as her nephew stared smugly at her waiting for her to speak. She knew he wanted her to try to tell everypony about his treachery. But she knew that it was useless trying to talk to ponies who had lost all faith in her. But she knew that there was something that she could say to her people. She raised her head high and prepared to speak.

“I’m sorry,” the white alicorn said remorsefully. Everypony: the other prisoners, the angry crowd, Twilight, and even Jewelius gasped in surprise and confusion. They did not expect this. “I’m so sorry to everypony, especially you, Twilight. You tried to warn us from the beginning, but we didn’t listen… I didn’t listen. You were right all along, I should’ve known my own niece would never act in such a way. And now many innocent lives have been lost while many still suffer because of my foolishness. I know there is nothing I can say that won’t convince you that what you are doing here is wrong, but what I can say is this: I am so sorry to all of you for putting my trust in the wrong ponies and letting this disaster happen.” As Celestia spoke from the bottom of her heart, the crowd’s animosity seemed to fade. Their expressions of pain and anger slowly started turning into expressions of understanding. Even Twilight began to feel the same affection and admiration she once had for her mentor returning. “I never intended all this pain and misery to happen. My long life’s goal has always been the safety and happiness of my beloved subjects. But I have failed, I can see that now. Perhaps I’m not meant to be Princess of Equestria any longer. But before I go to the end of my long life, I just to say: I love all of you and will raise the sun and bring morning for Equestria one last time.” She then bowed her head respectfully to the crowd as one last form of apology.

The other prisoners and the entire crowd stood quite. They all had surprised, understanding, sad, and forgiving expressions on their faces. They could sense the truth in Celestia’s words. The alicorn princess had never meant to hurt anyone, but seeing that she did hurt more than any physical torture that could be inflicted on her. Even Twilight Sparkle felt sorry for her former mentor. Jewelius, however, looked completely unfazed by his aunt’s heartfelt apology. But when he looked around and saw his pupil and subjects feeling sympathy for the prisoners, a great rage began to fester inside him. But he calmed himself down.

“Well said,” Jewelius said in an unsympathetic tone. “Let’s get this over with now.”

Two guards began escorting Celestia up to the top of the platform to the hangman’s noose. As they walked, Celestia studied the structure of the platform. It wasn’t going to be a long drop, her neck wouldn’t break when she fell. She would hang until the rope strangled her to death. Obviously Jewelius wanted her to suffer in her final moments. She finally reached the noose that hung in front of her face. Celestia looked directly at Twilight and made eye contact.

“Twilight,” she said in the warm and motherly tone she always used. “You are the most wonderful pony I have ever had the honor of making my student. You are more powerful and more pure of heart than even you think you are. Promise me that you will take care of everypony for me, please.” A tear ran down the fallen princess’s cheek.

Tears began to run down Twilight’s cheeks as she gave Celestia a slight nod of agreement. This was becoming increasingly painful to watch.

Celestia bowed her head down to the floor of the platform. Her horn glowed with a golden aura as she slowly raised her head. A golden light shined brightly in the horizon and grew larger as the alicorn raised her head. The rise of the morning sun was a very beautiful sight that everypony cherished and it was being done by a pony whose love for her people knew no bounds. Immediately, the crowd started having second thoughts.

“What are we doing?!” Fancy Pants said anxiously. “We can’t let this happen!”

“Please, stop the execution!” an earth pony mare called to the royal viewing booth.

“Isn’t there another way!” a unicorn stallion said.

“Your Majesty,” a concerned Twilight politely addressed Jewelius. “This isn’t right. There’s got to be another way.”

Soon the whole crowd began speaking anxiously in opposition of the execution.

Jewelius began to grow even more enraged as he saw that his subjects had begun to feel compassion for Celestia again. He was determined to have all the love and praise of Equestria directed at him and he wasn’t going to let anything stand in his way.

“Forgive me, everypony,” he addressed his subjects. “But the traitors to Equestria must be made examples of!” The protests grew even more after that, but he ignored them and sat watching the execution proceed with sadistic excitement.

Celestia’s head finally raised until it was pointing directly up at the sky with the morning sun now completely raised. A unicorn guard used his magic to put the noose around her neck.

“NO!” Pinkie cried in panic. “Somepony please stop this!”

“Do it!” Jewelius yelled barely holding back the excitement in his voice.

The other guard pulled a lever on the platform and the trapdoor beneath the alicorn’s hooves opened. The prisoners, the crowd, and Twilight watched in horror as Celestia fell through the trapdoor. Jewelius’s excited expression grew bigger with every moment.

As she fell, Celestia could feel the rope tighten around her neck. She felt the air being squeezed out of her throat. In awhile, she’d be no more. But then, a blast of light blue energy was shoot from the crowd at the execution platform. The blast severed the noose and sent the white alicorn plummeting to the ground. Celestia regained herself for a moment and looked to the crowd. Soon everypony’s attention was turned to the source of the blast. Hidden within the crowd was a mysterious cloaked pony. The pony threw her cloak off and revealed herself to be none other than Luna.

This party is over!” Luna angrily declared in her royal voice.

Author's Note:

Some of you maybe quite disturbed by Twilight's dark change in character and the misfortunes happening to her friends, brother, and mentor. But if you think about it a little, what just happened to them in this chapter is a bit karmic. They all refused to listen to Twilight’s suspicions about the evil bride and in the end she was right. Now they’re the ones trying to tell Twilight that her new friend and mentor is evil, but due to Jewelius's manipulations, she won't listen to them. They're going through the same treatment they gave Twilight. But now I think it's time for them to start putting the past behind them, rekindle their friendship, and take this traitorous usurper down!