• Published 8th Aug 2016
  • 12,575 Views, 704 Comments

Loved And Lost - EquineAvenger



This day could've been just perfect, the kind of day of which I've dreamt since I was small. But from too many betrayers, screwups, disgraces, and failures. Now the wedding bells will never ring at all.

  • ...
37
 704
 12,575

Chapter 8

After a week of fending for himself, Spike was sitting near the entrance of a small cave he had found. Every day, he watched the sun and the moon raise and set, which let him know that Celestia and Luna were still okay. He sat alone in his cave miserably playing with the wedding cake toppers, the only things he had left. However, this time they brought him no joy. In fact, he actually came to hate them as they reminded him of the part he played in turning the greatly expected wedding into a dreaded catastrophe. Worst of all, he could not stop thinking about Twilight Sparkle, his beloved mistress and caretaker, who hatched him from an egg, raised him as family, gave him a job, and treated him like one of her own unlike some ponies who were uncomfortable with the fact that he was a dragon. And how did he repay her for all her kindness, by ignoring her desperate warnings in favor of something as materialistic as a wedding and cake toppers and spinelessly turning his back on her as soon as it was his best interest. As a result of his and the others’ actions, changelings invaded Canterlot and Jewelius used this as an opportunity to overthrow the princesses and banish them all from Equestria. Although it looked absolutely hopeless, deep inside he desperately wished Twilight was here so he could apologize to her for his childish ignorance and disloyalty.

While wallowing in his pity, Spike heard a noise from outside the cave and instinctively hid behind a large rock to avoid being seen in case it was a vicious creature. Finally, the things that were causing the noise came into view at the entrance of the cave. It was Commander Hildread and her lieutenant, Shackle. Spike was surprised, it had been a week since his banishment but he never expected to see anypony, much less them, so soon. Shackle lit up her horn and shined a bright light into the cave entrance. Spike trembled and held his breath as he felt the light falling on the stone he was hiding behind.

“Cost is clear,” Shackle reported. “No changelings in this area.”

“Good, lieutenant,” Hildread complimented her subordinate. “With the recent rumors that have been popping up, we can’t afford to take any chances this time.”

Their conversation caught Spike’s interest and he listened carefully as they talked.

“You mean that a few changelings escaped and our new king might one of them?” Shackle asked nervously.

“Shhh!” Hildread hushed her lieutenant. “Not so loud. Yes, those rumors. But until we know the truth, we should keep this investigation secret. We don’t want to start a panic.”

“But what about Lady Sparkle? If the rumors are true, then she could be in great danger. Shouldn’t we assign her some bodyguards?”

“Unfortunately, we need all the horsepower we can get. We can’t afford to spare any good stallions for the life of one unicorn.”

“But-”

“No buts. We’ll return to Canterlot and continue the investigation. And we’ll keep this to ourselves.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

With that, the two mares left to return to Canterlot. Spike poked his head from behind the rock and slowly walked outside. He had heard every word they said and this information made him very, VERY nervous.

“Oh no, Twilight!” he whispered in horror to himself. The idea of an escaped changeling plotting revenge on Twilight was terrifying. He had already been responsible for some of her sadness but the thought of losing her for good was unbearable.

“What am I going to do?!” he desperately asked himself. Unfortunately, no ideas came to mind, and he felt fresh tears forming in his eyes as the situation seemed hopeless. Then he heard a gust of wind blow through some trees causing the branches to shake and some big light green leaves to fall into a dark muddy puddle. Spike walked over to the puddle and picked up one of the fallen leaves. It had a big dark mud stain on it. Then the little dragon got an idea. He quickly picked up a few leaves that didn’t fall into the mud, and then picked up a small thin stick. He dipped the pointy end of the stick into the mud and started writing on the leaves he had gathered as if he were writing a letter for Twilight. On the leaves he wrote:
Dear Princ Ex-Princess Celestia,

Some guards from Canterlot came by my new ‘home’ today and I heard them say some things that I believe you must know. They say that some changelings have escaped and think that one of them might be impersonating Jewelius. I’m afraid that they might be planning to get revenge on Twilight for ruining their plans to take over Canterlot.
Your faithful dragon servant and friend,
Spike

With that, Spike blew his magical green fire on the leaves and they disappeared in the flames. Spike hoped that this would work just like the letters and would reach Celestia. After awhile, Spike felt the need to burp and to his surprise, belched up some different looking leaves that had some writing and drawings on them. These leaves said:
Dear Spike,

This is very serious news you’ve received. I believe we must meet together to discuss this matter. I’ve drawn a map that should guide you to where I want us to meet. I wish for us to meet at that place at dawn tomorrow.
Celestia

Spike examined some of the leaves Celestia had sent back to him and they indeed looked like a map leading to a certain area. Immediately, Spike gathered some provisions and began on his journey. There was no time to lose.

Spike walked for miles through the big deep jungles till he finally reached the desert lands. He traveled many more miles through the scorching desert. It was hot and extremely exhausting, especially for someone his age, but this little dragon was determined to make it to his destination. He had to.

At about dusk, Spike finally made it to where Celestia had told him to go: Unicorn Rock, a huge rock formation shaped like the head of a unicorn. He setup camp next to the rock structure and shortly after sunset, he fell asleep. At the crack of dawn the next day, Spike awoke to find three tall cloaked figures standing around his campsite. At first he was startled by the sight of these strangers, but his spirits lifted when all three of them removed their hoods and revealed themselves to be the three former princesses. Their manes weren’t combed neatly like they used to be, they were messy and a little dirty. But their faces had the warm and friendly smiles that Spike recognized.

“It’s been awhile, Spike,” Celestia warmly greeted the little dragon who immediately hugged her left front leg while she gently stroked his head with her right hoof.

“I’m surprised you survived this long on your own,” Cadance added.

“I’m so glad you’re all okay too,” the little dragon said wiping the tears from his eyes.

“Back to the matter at hoof,” Luna said getting down to business. “My sister contacted us and told us that you had some important information that you need to tell us.”

“That’s right,” Spike began. “Hildread and some of her guards came by my cave yesterday. Thankfully they didn’t see me, but I heard them talking about some terrible things. That a few changelings had escaped and one of them might be impersonating Jewelius and are planning to get revenge on Twilight.” All three alicorns were visibly disturbed by this news.

“Oh no, Twilight!” Cadance exclaimed in horror barely keeping it together.

“This is very serious,” Celestia said more calmly but still very nervous.

“And their keeping it a secret from the rest of the ponies,” Spike continued.

“Aunt Celestia, what’ll we do?” Cadance turned to her eldest aunt.

“If Twilight really is in some kind of danger, then we can’t just sit here,” Spike added.

“I don’t know, something about this doesn’t feel right,” Luna said suspiciously.

“As much as I agree with my sister,” Celestia said. “We don’t know too much about this situation, and I can’t take the risk of my faithful student being in danger.”

“Are you thinking about returning to Canterlot, sister?” Luna asked her elder sister.

“Yes, I am.”

“What if they’re expecting that? What if there is some sort of trap waiting for us if we return?”

“I understand you concern, sister. But I ignored Twilight once and I will not do it again. I have to make sure she’s okay. This time, I have to take action before it’s too late,” Celestia said with a look of determination and regret on her face. Everyone could tell she was remembering the wedding and how she coldly turned her back on Twilight. An action that had ultimately proven to be her greatest mistake which led to her fall from grace. Now she felt that this was her second chance to redeem herself to her beloved pupil.

“Well, if you’re going, then I’m going too.” Cadance said taking her eldest aunt’s side. “I foalsat Twilight as a filly, and just when I finally see her after many years I get banished. I think I’m owed some time with her.”

“Very well,” Celestia warmly agreed admiring her niece’s brave and kind heart.

“I’m coming too,” Spike said firmly. “As Twilight’s number one assistant, it’s my job to help with whatever she might need.”

Celestia smiled warmly at the young dragon before turning to her sister. “And you, sister?”

“I still have a bad feeling about this,” Luna said. “But I’ll assist you anyway I can.”

“Thanks Luna. Now before we head back to Canterlot, I suggest we find Shining Armor and the rest of Twilight’s friends. They need to know about this and they’re as much entitled to a chance at rescuing and making things up to Twilight as the rest of us.”

“You’re right,” Cadance agreed. “And I’ve been away from my Shining Armor for far too long.”

“You really do love him, don’t you?” Spike asked the pink alicorn, noticing her devotion to her husband-to-be.

“He’s everything to me. Just ask Twilight, she knows that better than anypony.”

Celestia remorsefully bowed her head for moment at what her niece just said. She remembered when Twilight desperately tried to warn everypony about the evil bride and how they all ignored her and turned their backs on her. Twilight Sparkle had always been so loyal and trusting of her. She had mentored the young unicorn in many things over the years. To her, Twilight was more than just her student, she was like the daughter she never had. Now she realized her terrible error in judgement and how much it had cost her. “Cadance, I’m sorry for allowing myself to be fooled by Chrysalis’s trickery and letting you suffer for so long. We all should have known that wasn’t the real you. Can you ever forgive me?”

“Everypony makes mistakes, even you,” Cadance said warmly and understandably.

“She’s right, Tia,” Luna said. “Despite our longevity, you and I still have so much to learn as much as Twilight and her friends do.”

Celestia smiled at the kind words of her sister and niece, even if she herself didn’t think she deserved them. “You’re too kind,” she said embracing them both in her wings. “Now I think it’s about time we started our journey.”

“I think we should first look for Pinkie Pie and Applejack,” Cadance suggested. “There’s a harbor not too far from here.”

“Then let’s start there,” Spike agreed.

The little dragon climbed onto Celestia’s back as she, Luna, and Cadance spread their wings and took off.

Twilight, my faithful student, you’ve made me so proud in the past. I’m coming and I won’t fail you this time,” Celestia thought to herself. “I will not endure the loss of another pony important to me again!” she cast a short glance at Luna remembering the horrible moment when she turned into Nightmare Moon and forced her to banish her to the moon a thousand years ago. After that event, Celestia swore to herself she would never let that happen to anypony ever again. She had already lost many years with her sister, she was not going to lose who knows how long with her student and daughter-figure. But first, they needed to rescue Twilight’s friends and brother if they were going to have a good chance at saving her.