• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 1,018 Views, 184 Comments

Coarse Diamonds - Darkonshadows



Not hearing anything in space is not an excuse to never scream at all. Especially when you want to become famous, rich, part of high society and possibly find love along the way doing it.

  • ...
6
 184
 1,018

PreviousChapters Next
-33-

The gala gown in progress would be one of Rarity’s finest works, now if only it didn’t need the few green colored stripes that matched the coloration around Greta’s eyes and neck. The white went well with her head feathers and the dress was looking really nice on the griffon, proving that Rarity could be a genius at this stuff. Rarity was thinking she could do something about matching the rest of Greta’s body to the dress, maybe a ruffle or two? The fashion conscious mare still had to make the gown work with Greta’s wings so that it didn’t weigh her down.

Taking that into account the fashion master pony that was Rarity could put some of Greta’s more reddish colors around the neck wings and edge of the skirt, as in this case less was probably more and she could accentuate the griffon’s lithe form. Rarity was going to take Greta from being the grease stained, repair expert and welder jockey that she was and turn her into a beautiful lady hen with an exquisite dress that could turn heads of even the snootiest of ponies. It was what Rarity Belle did best.

Working alongside Rarity was Coco who was happily sewing the main part of the dress with a sweet smile, happily humming away as she worked. Standing off to the side were Bernard and Trapeze the pair that put on a magicians act, the Lagotorphin was ripping into the fish jerky his partner recently bought him and he was absolutely enjoying it much to Trapeze’s weak smile. It had been a while since Bernard had gotten meat, he just really liked carrots when it came to working with his companion and now that meat was added to the menu he figured his diet would be all the better. They were watching the dress in progress and Rarity was talking to Trapeze whenever she had a question.

“Oh I’d definitely go for something eye catching like sequins if you wanted to go the flashy route or maybe something just made from a shiny material like your hat which would be quicker and easier. Also it would definitely be less of a mess and hassle to clean; sequins can go everywhere if it’s not done right. I’m not saying that I can’t do that, but it’ll be you that will have to deal with it when it comes to upkeep. So a magician’s suit in your hats color I assume?” Rarity would always say that she could cater to anyone’s needs and she was doing well with Greta so far, the griffon had no complaints about the gown and it didn’t look like it was sitting in an uncomfortable manner.

“Yes, I would like that; maybe something more to a stallion design like a suit and bow tie. It’ll fit with the theme I’m going for, but it’ll need to be part acrobatic suit meaning no drag.” Trapeze was working with Rarity on this and she could say she saw the quality in the clothing Rarity was crafting for her crew member. Strange friends Ms. Belle had, but they were just as friendly as the mare herself presented and Trapeze was paying for her services. “You see, I specialize in acrobatics, contortions and escape artistry. So you’ll have to make it so it doesn’t get in the way of my legs or hooves, I prefer the ability to function and I don’t want my limbs to be restrained in any given way by what I’m wearing. Leotards are more my speed than anything.”

“I’ll draw up several designs for it after I’m finished with Greta here, then you can pick the one you like as I’ve got several in mind that will look good and I’m sure you’ll like them.” Turning to her friend Rarity had wondered why she wanted to go to the gala; it was the question as to why Greta of all her crew members that wanted to be her plus one. “So why did you want to go the Gala with me Greta?”

“Wait, that’s what that dress is for? I thought she was marrying someone!” Trapeze’s outburst caused Bernard to slap her in the back of the head and she gave her friend a slight glare before turning back to them with a curious look.

Greta blushed and looked very shy at the moment, probably thinking about marrying Gilda in a dress made by the boss lady and the image was becoming that much harder to ignore as the seconds passed by before Coco decided to speak up, she passed her needle off to Rarity as she did so.

“Well that’s not as amazing as getting a lunch with Princess Luna before the gala, well that and a hug and a face to face apology. Wings so fluffy…” Shaking her head Coco blushed and looked away from everyone, until she could at least get her blush to die down some. “I wonder if lunch includes my friends… she never did say not to bring you guys. In any case Rarity is going to pick her ticket up from Luna as the princess kind of owes Rarity one to the Grand Galloping Gala.”

Rarity noticed that Coco had a wing fetish, because why else would Coco blush so hard about it, leading her need to find a Pegasus or something like a reckless daredevil for Gilda’s request of a test pilot. Heck she needed a lot more than a test pilot to crew Shining Jewel. Mostly it was out of the fact that she thought that Coco deserved a good relationship and would be looking around for a Pegasus that didn’t have anywhere to be or an important job already, which means someone their age, not military and has no other arrangements in life.

“So when are you guys going to Canterlot, I was wondering if me and Bernard can join you for that lunch? We don’t exactly have a venue or even a manager at the moment. All we have is our tricks, some money and a travel bag on us.” Trapeze was slapped by Bernard and he glared at her this time as he waved to the other three in the room. “Yeah you’re right Bernard, sorry if I’m asking a little bit too much of you.”

“Not at all dear, but if you’re going to be coming with us you’ll have to pay for your own train ticket.” It would let Rarity get to know this amazing earth pony better if she decided to come with them; she was a good stage magician and an excellent acrobat. Otherwise Rarity wasn’t going to be too generous; she had her crew to worry about and the expenses therein. She was now quite aware that her generous actions might have unintended consequences when it came to the people she was working with.

“Finally, something you’re deciding to be the slightest bit selfish about!” Was Coco’s outburst, Rarity was way too giving and nice at times. Coco had a hard time trying to tell Rarity to her face that she was quite generous outside her small time tendencies for wanting shiny things. For once Coco could relax in the thought that Rarity’s generosity had a limit… even if it was a very small one because she was still offering to let Trapeze come to their luncheon. “Well not counting gems and jewels that are not claimed by anyone. Those you’d fight for tooth and nail, but then you’d probably end up giving away half of that selflessly to a good cause.”

-

Chrysalis stood before Celestia and there was a concerned look on the princess’s face at this moment, as the queen had delivered to her some rather boring news. What was concerning Celestia was that Chrysalis hadn’t cracked a single innuendo the entire time she gave her report, shadowy organizations that tried to usurp Celestia weren’t news to her as they were a dime a dozen with at least fifty years between every uprising of some sort. Half of said uprisings usually never got anywhere, but Celestia would take the threat presented to her capital city very seriously and have the guards on the lookout for the local Caballeron Cabal gang. Since they had Back Draft already the catching the rest shouldn’t be too hard as they are less likely to be lethal in their actions. Still someone was making big plans and they’d best be prepared for the worst possible scenario.

“Is that all you have to say Chrysalis? I was expecting you to tell me a hilarious anecdote about knowing a changeling named Deep Throat at least.” Celestia chuckled at the thought.

“Hey, I’ll have you know that it’s a perfectly normal changeling name!” Deep Throat the feminine airily voiced changeling with the bright amethyst colored eyes squeaked when she noticed her queen was giving her a glare. “Excuse me for breaking cover like that my queen, I just can’t stand by and let people think my name is funny for some reason.”

“Seriously Deep Throat, I give you one job and you blow it.” This was the most ridiculous straight faced reply Chrysalis could have given to her changeling. “Right, you get back to training in skulking and how not to be seen! You obviously need it. Maybe you should also take a course on how not to be heard to while you are at it.”

“Deep Throat…. blowing the job… that’s just… ” Celestia tried to hold in her laughter, but she could and let out a gale of it afterwards confusing both the changeling that had come out from behind her throne and the changeling queen. “Oh my goodness it’s like you planned for that, that’s what this conversation was missing!”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, Deep Throat is still a trainee in stealth operations and should know better than to break cover.” Chrysalis stopped to glare at the changeling again, who in turn tried to give her the big innocent puppy eyes. “Well at least you’re good at mimicking voices perfectly. Remember to tell the next skulking trainee to report for duty Deep; I believe tomorrow its Hard Throb’s turn.”

For some reason that caused Celestia to laugh all that much harder, causing both the changelings to glare at her. If Chrysalis remembered right, Hard Throb was the accident prone changeling who specialized in loud if highly painful looking distractions and was generally covered in a layer of bruises. Even when Hard was still a little larva he was covered in bruises, which was rather hard to do since changeling larva are always covered in soft cushioning substances that prevented such injuries exactly like the ones the walking callus always had in various places at various times.

“Okay seriously Celestia, what’s up with you right now?” Now Chrysalis was a bit angry, she didn’t understand why Celestia was laughing as hard as she was.

“I’m sorry it’s just… some of the things you’ve said recently I’ve found quite a bit of enjoyment in.” Calming down Celestia looked into Deep’s bright purple eyes. “Are you a virgin by any chance?”

“Yes, why do you ask? I’ve been trying to find a nice slow relationship, but…” That was as far as Deep got before something pink swooped through the space that Deep used to occupy, the screaming of a helpless changeling and a cackling pink winged figure could be seen flying out of the room.

“So she’s never done anything in a bedroom before?” Celestia asked ignoring the stolen changeling waiting for Chrysalis to turn back to her.

“Nope and not for the lack of trying to sneak into them, she sleeps in the barracks like my other trainee’s. She’s not good enough at stealth yet to do the wake up with her in your bed routine yet and I don’t think she ever will be. She’s very good at ventriloquism, voice throwing and vocal mimicry though.” A pause and a quirky look crossing Chrysalis’s face later. “Wait a minute, since when were you so interested in my military operations? I’m being completely legit and you know I haven’t gone off the rails. Well if I had, you probably would have notified me by now that I was stepping over my boundaries.”

“I’m not; I’m just asking for the sake of posterior… ahem… I mean posterity. Not that you’re butt is… let me just explain to you what I found funny.” With one quick obvious switch of the topic away from mentioning rear ends that was slightly upsetting to the queen that led into an explanation by Celestia later, Chrysalis was smirking somewhat when she learned just what exactly she had said that was so darn funny.

“Well it seems even when I’m trying to be serious I just can’t help myself.” Giggling slightly, Chrysalis had to admit that when it was pointed out to her, it made sense why Celestia busted a gut.

“You would be less fun to talk with otherwise; you certainly know how to make an old mare like me blush.” Well over a thousand years and counting for Celestia and she still knew how to have fun. If she didn’t then life would be all that much more boring. With Chryaslis around it was easier to have a sense of humor, to think there was something about the changeling queen that she would really miss when she finally passes the buck to Mr. Thorax. “Seriously though, if everyone in your race has names like that, then what’s your full name Chrysalis? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of it, aside from that I’ll prepare for the eventuality that Canterlot will come under attack and put my people to work on making sure we’re not entirely blindsided this time. I admit my military is a little lacking, but they’ll do their best.”

When Chrysalis humored the princess for a moment by telling her what her full name was, Celestia’s eyes just boggled for a moment and then they became slightly blank afterwards. After a few tilts of her head and it eventually sunk in as to what Chrysalis had told her, Celestia couldn’t stop laughing for the next ten minutes much to the huffy looking Chrysalis’s lament as the changeling blushed so hard her entire face turned a dark shade of cherry red.

-

Trap Bar was keeping a tight eye on Shining Jewel, as far as he could tell the other crew members weren’t doing anything more suspicious then getting an orbital recording of a popular live action drama show. While there was nothing technically illegal going on so far, he was watching them. He wished he had people on the ground that could look out for the other three crew members. Not in a bad sense, but in a ‘we have your back’ kind of way. He was an admiral of a very small if efficient fleet, so he didn’t have time to worry about what anyone was else doing if they weren’t in space. He did however have time to check in on the Shining Jewel to see what was going on. He didn’t want anything happening to a crew of spooks on his watch and so far what they were doing was tame, which meant that what the others were doing was probably far more exciting and action packed.

The admiral had an active imagination, on top of being paranoid and drunk. However his service record was particularly spotless despite these negatives, proving that he could do his job while looking entirely incompetent at it.

-

“Hey Kitten, please send drones Progress and Scanner over to me, I’ll need their help. I’m ready to get cracking at the stuff Greta sent up, if anything needs immediate repairs or is of some concern just ask away for a second opinion.” There was a large pile next to Gilda that she had separated for her own use, Rarity had a good eye for quality junk and she couldn’t wait to get started on a few projects. One of which was utilizing the slightly busted Javelin to make her very own fighter, but she would plan first before doing anything to it. Right now she’d settle for building just about anything that came to mind from scratch and Gilda had a lot of scratch to work with. “Otherwise leave me to work on my personal projects, you know where I am.”

“Right, oh and good morning Gilda. Sending the drones to you now, do not disassemble them please. If anything, do some work on Progress for me would you? Nothing major that the other drones can’t take care of with a bit of welding and their manipulator arms, so you’re okay to work on whatever it is you’re going to be doing.” There was a wistful sad lilt in Opal’s voice. “By the way,Rarity has approved of your request and will be looking for a Pegasus or some other being to be a test dummy for you. She also asked me to tell you we can be expecting her to shop around for more crew members while she’s abroad.”

“Works for me, I trust the boss lady’s judgment in crew members somewhat as she hired me after all. Tell that to Vera and Sassy while you’re at it.” Picking up a nearby wrench and Mr. Welder, Gilda smiled. It was time for her to get in the zone and build something totally wicked. “Also please stop moping Kitten, Equestria is the safest planet around. Rarity is more likely to die choking on a chocolate coated pretzel than be harmed in any grievous fashion when you’re not looking. Besides she’s a big pony that can mostly take care of herself, I don’t trust her romantic aspirations one bit.”

“I’m way ahead of you Gil.” Spouted off a seemingly happy Opal who was faking the mood particularly well, she didn’t like Rarity being away for very long and she’d prefer it if her pretty pony mother didn’t die. “If you have need of anything just holler for me, Vera or Sassy. I’ll keep you up to date on anything you might need to know if it becomes important enough. So have some fun for me will you?”

-

Despite the incredible space capable technology ponies were privy to, they still utilized trains to ferry hundreds of ponies across wide expanses of land. Because trains were cheaper than flying air and far more fuel efficient. The only thing that was different was that trains were much faster in this day and age, a trip from Manehatten to Canterlot would have taken at least twelve hours with the older trains provided they didn’t need to break out the earth pony pulling team in an emergency. Air travel was much faster, but safety was always questionable compared to moving along the ground. The newer model trains only took about four to six hours to make the same trip, which was good enough for a nap.

Rarity was already boarding said train with Greta and Coco, when Ms. Star carrying Bernard rushed up to meet them looking a bit out of breath. Trapeze Star had an over the withers bag with Bernard poking his head out of it trying to look cute and innocent despite the fact that he was eating fish jerky.

“So glad you could make it Miss Star, but are you sure you want to travel with us?” There was no indecision that Rarity could see, Trapeze obviously wanted to join them on their trip and trips were better with friends.

All Trapeze did in answer because she was out of breath was nod to Rarity and take some deep breaths with Bernard now munching on a carrot having finished his meat snack meant for those of Pegasus, Griffon or otherwise omnivorous descent.

“Well the more the merrier I say, so far you’re luck is holding out Rarity. I haven’t seen any ponies that you described as being your parents.” With a friendly smile Greta nodded to Trapeze and made her way on board.

“How about we all find a nice place we can all sit together near the less crowded back?” Followed Coco looking a bit flustered, she had woken up with Greta on top of her this time as Rarity had decided the couch was a safer place from the sleep snuggling griffon.

-

The train was soon on its way and things were looking okay to start off with until in the middle of the journey four tilt rotor aircraft armed with missiles and rapid fire material cannons flying in on an intercept course for the train two hours into the journey. These military aircrafts were called gunships and they weren’t supposed to be here. Not only that, they weren’t supposed to be firing payloads on civilian transportation. So something was about to go very wrong here.

-

“So, you would have to of had a run of sporadic luck to survive that.” Was Trapeze’s reply to the various stories of running or hiding Coco and Rarity told, she the magician thought Greta’s gritty tale of survival on a derelict was much more interesting? Eating the monsters that ate the rest of the crew, it sounded like a horrible experience.

“I wouldn’t call it sporadic; other people have survived some of things I have. Others were quite obviously not so well off from the experiences. I still got bruised and battered throughout those ordeals.” Rarity was of course talking about all the unfortunate souls who died either in the defense of Ewesen or were civilians mauled, mangled and mashed by monsters. “Greta was on the space station when the first attack came in; she ended up on the planet’s surface at the end of it. Speaking of Griffons, is there a quicker way to make Gabby stop prattling without hurting the poor dear’s feelings?”

“No, it’s just best to let her get it all out. She wouldn’t be gabby Gabby if she wasn’t jabbering like her beak had a spring in it.” Chirped out a cheerful Greta who had a wing wrapped around Coco, the fact that the mare had actually requested it for comfort reasons came as a surprise to Greta. Now the mare was cozy and nuzzled against her getting in a nap and Greta didn’t mind being used as a security blanket. “Small universe that you ran into her, but it’s nothing like us running into Tree Hugger. She’s always there whenever we stop at a space station like clockwork and speaking vaguely while getting affectionate with Gilda.”

“Doesn’t that make you jealous?” It did have Rarity curious. After having met Tree personally, Rarity could say that the mare was bizarre in her attitude like she was consistently high on chemicals. Which made it all the more jarring that Tree spoke coherently most of the time.

“Not really, I like Tree Hugger… she’s just really weird in a way that I just can’t hate. I do like how she’s always calling me Ever Cheerful, which is an apt description of my personality.” Greta smiled and looked out the window while giggling. “It’s like she’s always looking at the real you whenever you meet her.”

“I wonder what this Tree Hugger would see of me and Bernard, she sounds fun.” Trapeze was having a good time and was gently patting and rubbing her partner on the head, his mewling sound were quite adorable for such a ferocious little scamp. She knew Lagotorphins were dangerous and didn’t bleed like a normal rabbit, but apparently Bernard was happy with working for carrots or more recently fish jerky. “Thanks to your pointing out that my friend was a meat eater hiding in plain sight, he has gained an acquired taste for fish and unfortunately it smells. I don’t think it’s ever coming out of my hat, oh and I can understand why you have those weapons with you now.”

Trapeze Star had live in Manehatten all her life and had earned her cutie mark while taking gymnastics at school and performing insanely difficult tricks. Apparently she had tapped into the rare earth pony ability to control something called pocket space and the less said about the headache gained from it the better. The attempt to even explain it caused anyone who listened to come down with a sudden and very painful migraine. Other than that Trapeze was trained in Capoeira dancing, which doubled as a fighting style that became all the more interesting when Trapeze mentioned that she could combine it with magical tricks to really dazzle people and make muggers regret meeting her in a dark alley. This was her first time traveling as she couldn’t keep doing park jobs forever.

“It’s getting to the point that a lady must have something to defend her honor with these days, my weapon of choice is an energy pistol or two. Self defense is a must if you’re going to be traveling around darling. You might never know what you’ll run into out there” Rarity lifted a cup of tea towards her face; she started to take a sip.

A large explosion rocked the car sending tea splattering all over Rarity’s face horrifying her because her drink just sullied her mane and fur. Coco fell to the floor and woke with a start. Bernard’s eyes sharpened and his long ears started twitching as he looked around for the threat. Trapeze immediately pulled herself into her hat along with a surprised Bernard, making it fall to the floor. Greta was immediately at the window and seeing something she obviously didn’t like, she pushed Rarity down to the floor covering her boss lady and Coco with her own body.

“Oh goddess, get down boss lady!” Another explosion rang out as a missile blasted a small hole in the car they occupied, glass shattered and went flying all over the place. Some of it lightly stabbed into Greta’s back along with a few piece of metal from the wall. Someone had just attacked the train to Canterlot and they came heavily armed.

Screams rang out on the front cars of the train as the sounds of more gunfire could be heard, they were currently in the third from last car of a fifteen car long train. Getting up sluggishly to look out the hole in the train cars wall, Greta saw several figures rappelling down ropes onto the train from two of the gunships and pulled her head back in before she was noticed.

“Is everyone okay?” Clutching at her head with her hoof, the noise deafened Rarity’s hearing and she was trying to get her bearings straight. Coco was similarly affected by the explosion and Trapeze simply poked her head out of the hat resting upright on the floor along with a rattled looking Bernard.

“Define okay; whoever they are they used concussion missiles on the train! I think they’re trying to take prisoners and are using lethal force against anyone who resists. Look well organized, mixed species and from what little I saw, they are packing more firepower than we can deal with.” Counting the plasma rifle and the two energy pistols, Greta didn’t think they’d be pulling action movie hero stunts against four gunships loaded to incapacitate and kill. “They are either killing people or are taking them hostages for some reason.”

“They ruined my mane and stained my coat on top of that! IT… IS… ON… wait no, that’d be stupid and reckless of me.” They heard three distinct screams coming from a car ahead, but they didn’t go to investigate it. “Get the plasma rifle ready Greta, we’ll hunker down here until help comes or we’re taken out. Shoot to injure if you can, admittedly that would be rather hard for you to do given the weapon in question.”

Author's Note:

Rarity is not an action hero, though she would do action hero things should the situation warrant action.

The holiday's came early this year for me, I've been rather distracted by a particular gift I didn't know I was getting a a few days early.

PreviousChapters Next