• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 1,017 Views, 184 Comments

Coarse Diamonds - Darkonshadows



Not hearing anything in space is not an excuse to never scream at all. Especially when you want to become famous, rich, part of high society and possibly find love along the way doing it.

  • ...
6
 184
 1,017

PreviousChapters Next
-14-

“Really… are you serious?” Celestia had asked that for the fifth time now looking a little green after Chrysalis told her the first thing of what her people could eat for sustenance, she found the news to be highly disturbing. The food source certainly didn’t hurt anyone and they certainly wouldn’t miss it if it was taken.

Celestia, Cadence and Luna weren’t about to argue with Chrysalis leaving Plentiful Thorax in charge, so none of them had much to say about the changeling queen possibly leaving the political scene. She would always be their favorite politician... well at least favorite politician in so far as the only one who could circumnavigate any bureaucracy better than the pony nobles and use it against them in an unrelentingly amusing manner. Still there were matters to attend to and Chrysalis looked like she was a bit peeved that Celestia couldn’t stop asking that question.

“For the final time yes, I’m serious! Sure it’s not love, but it definitely works as a source of sustenance.” Being capable of only eating one single thing made for a weak species, it left Chrysalis glad that she discovered a few new things about her people and what could sustain their lives. She first had to see Celestia’s reaction to the news to gauge which food source was more disturbing.

“Then please be discreet about it… also make sure your race learns the importance of hygiene in their interactions with others if they happen to acquire a ‘taste’ for it. Now what’s the second new source of sustenance?” Celestia shivered violently at the word ‘taste’. She perked up an ear and Chrysalis whispered into it, after a moment she pulled back and gave the quasi-pony an incredulous look before sighing audibly. “Okay, now that I can actually supply your race with and will do so readily, it’ll just take a bit of finagling to get a system in place to deliver it directly to your people without suspicion. We’ll definitely be working up a trade agreement later. Also no, you would have to make a rather grand offer for me to even consider something like that.”

“Thank you, but don’t you find the second thing a little more disturbing than the first?” Sometimes it confused Chrysalis as to what a pony might be more disturbed by. She thought the first new form of sustenance for her people came off as tame and it had made Celestia look a bit green in the face, she thought the second would be more disturbing.

“It is far less so than the first one. All the same, don’t eat that in front of me or any pony. Please don’t start stealing the second thing either, because again you need to be discreet with the knowledge. It may be an easily renewable source, but it’s still takes energy to make more of it.” Taking this as a moment to ask a pertinent question, Celestia cleared her throat loudly. “What are you going to be doing if not actively browbeating everyone in the world of politics, of which you have only a few that could match you blow for blow?”

“I will admit that you and Luna are just as good or possibly better at politics, but I’ve been thinking of a change of pace. I want to go exploring and see the stars now that I have found a way to sustain the changeling population without subterfuge or stealing love.” Chrysalis was rather proud to be the leader of her race, but it was about time she did something different and her yearlong tour of the world had been absolutely fun. “I might even eventually want to find a planet to start a changeling colony. I’m pretty sure we can transform a rather barren planet for our personal needs, find some less intelligent livestock and the like. Of course we’re going to need the supplies for it, but that will come with the trade agreements we’ll work out and provided I can find an empty planet that nobody has a claim on.”

“Well then, while you are here to hear it.” The guarded looked Celestia received was one she was well acquainted with when it came to Chrysalis as she levitated an invitation to the most dangerous politician on the planet. “I would like to properly invite you to the Grand Galloping Gala and I need you to do something for me while you are at it.”

Luna and Cadence hadn’t spoken up in a while and were now idly playing with the bouncy gel balls again off to the side while waiting for Chrysalis and Celestia to finish their business while keeping an ear out for whatever the two may be discussing.

“What’s in it for me? There’ll be no food at the gala, for me specifically, that I can eat out in the open. The party is usually for your nobles to renew or make new connections while waving their privates around in the air, heck the fact that I managed to make them almost starve to death legally under your laws says a lot about how stupid they really are.” That was quite a tale and Chrysalis enjoyed the sweet taste of victory on that one. In fact it got a few new laws passed that crippled the pony nobles ability to use any loopholes further, but at least they had stopped legally losing massive amounts of money to the changelings at an exponentially dangerous rate. “So again, what’s my incentive to join the dullest party of the year for you? Aside from that how is your favorite purple introvert doing? I must admit, I’m quite shocked as to how much romantic love flows between you two and that you never seem to want to act on it!”

Cadence immediately turned and headed straight for Celestia, the princess of love just became a sun princess seeking missile upon hearing this. Celestia now knew for certain that Chrysalis truly was the most evil being that they were actually friends with.

-

Chrysalis nearly destroyed every pony noble’s power base at the same time without actually doing anything illegal and made it completely impossible for them to buy food for themselves directly from the many various nearby producers.

The rich thriving noble ponies of avarice almost became completely poor, broken and lonely husks of their former selves. Celestia’s hooves were tied on it because their own laws were quite clear on what Chrysalis did; frankly the princess thought it was hilarious that the Changeling queen could get away with so much when she was allowed to become a politician. The entire situation involved a simple loophole made by the nobles themselves that was taken to a rather absurd logical extreme and abused to an incredibly insane sadistic level by Chrysalis.

Oh sure the nobles didn’t take it laying down or very well at all, it was just that every law they tried to pass to keep Chrysalis under their hooves backfired tremendously every single time. Some of those laws were quite racist and Chrysalis easily got backing from various other species that were minority citizens in the land of ponies, along with getting the common pony to side with her on the issues as well. In the end she unionized the commoners almost destroying the existence or need for nobles by doing what the Caccerans wished they could have gotten away with.

As a completely unrelated bit of information to all this, Luna liked how Chrysalis played a mean game of classic ogres and oubliettes as a lawful evil character. The bug pony queen also made for a rather interesting dungeon master, when said dungeon master became quite literal. The innuendos would seem to never come to an end about how Chrysalis made a sex dungeon map for the game. The blushing was doubled the particular night that campaign was introduced. It was well within the games rules as well, much to the consternation of Cadence whose character ended up chained to a wall no less than eight times throughout the entire campaign.

-

Rarity finished up the EVA suit for the male Cacceran who was Preston Licaley’s friend; she had already gone through the appointments with the Human and Minotaur. There was still no word of the Lagotorphin and the two mares that were supposed to be coming. That group was running late, not to mention the mystery person that Opal hadn’t gotten around to telling her about because of the important newsfeed about the two MOM’s remaining chunks and the damaged triple P fleet.

“Thanks for bringing some more business my way Preston; it’s been quite a pleasure to see you again.” Receiving a smile from the feminine Cacceran that Rarity was happy to have as a repeat customer; business wasn’t exactly slow or fast at the moment and making clothing for Preston was quick and easy since he obviously knew what he liked. The bra he wanted was kind of pushing it though as he didn’t exactly have mammary glands that needed support like a human female does.

“Don’t mention it Rarity, besides the EVA suit works really well underwater. Just as long as I stay away from crushing my body into my helmet depths, I’ll continue to be good.” The ladylike Preston smiled and looked to his friend looking their suit over. “Anyway did you want the information on my findings about how well it performed underwater?”

“Yes, that would be lovely, thank you. A review from one of my customers might help incite more business to come my way. Thank you for stopping by the Caravel Boutique.” After Rarity finished off the last bit of clothing for Preston, she passed it over to him in a bag with several other articles of clothing that he ordered. He smiled before pulling out his data pad and sending some information for Opal to peruse alongside giving a nice honest review of Rarity’s shop.

“We’re getting off this planet and heading towards safer pastures at least until the MOM is completely gone.” With a friendly wave Preston and his friend left Rarity’s ship with a smile. “I hope to see you again Miss Belle. Oh and tell… Sassy was it? Tell her that I understand and that I don’t blame her.”

“Right then, Opal is our mystery guest appointment coming or not?” The first no show had Rarity worried that something had happened to the three on the way to hangar seven. She had explicitly told Opal to not tell her who the mystery customer was, because she wanted it to be a surprise.

It was cheaper to pay for a landing spot to sell stuff from than to buy a stall spot in a marketplace, though there were advantages to owning a marketplace stall. Keeping the Caravel Boutique parked at hangar seven for a cheap sum helped in keeping the cost of her current venture down, however some customers might be wary of having to come to her for her services.

“Not yet Meowstress, but I’ve just got a hit from the Lagotorphin one. They are on their way and are very sorry for the delay; it took them a while to catch a shuttle off of Geoptis Station with things being so hectic up there for the local fleet.” The CAT drones were putting things back in order and dancing to Opal’s merry tune in helping Rarity; they had assisted in the making of clothing and EVA suits with Sassy being the eye for quality control on what they did. “They will be arriving in hangar seven in a short while.”

Speaking of the man hating mare, Sassy walked in looking slightly ashamed of her actions and how she treated Preston. She had thought Preston was a girl at first and to hear that he was even partly of the male persuasion set her off in getting belligerent at him. Preston’s friend didn’t seem to be all too bothered by the events and had stayed calm the entire time. The situation left Rarity having to explain Sassy’s problem to Preston who was obviously quite understanding of what she had been through.

“I’m so sorry Rarity-sama; I’ll try to keep myself under control next time.” Sassy bowed her head in shame, she hadn’t hurt the customer and everything was mostly okay. She just held her head in her hooves looking quite woeful. “I wonder what my therapist would say about all this.”

“What would I say about all of what?” A gentle voice spoke up; it had to be Fluttershy judging by how Sassy froze on the spot. Sassy’s therapist walked up the open ramp to Rarity’s work room and looked rather concerned to hear Sassy mutter something that sounded like her presence was needed. “Is everything okay Sassy and do you want to talk about it? You don’t have to if you don’t want to. I mean we can talk about cloths, your hair or do something nice like eat a snack together if that’s okay with you.”

All it took for Rarity was one look to tell she wanted to be friends with this mare, she had an elegant air about her and the soulful looking eyes looked as if they were trying to pull you in. Alongside that she seemed to be a bit shy and had an extremely calming influence on the room by being the most awkward one in it. Next to this mare was what looked to be a normal white rabbit with a highly intelligent look to him, as much as an irate look and impatient tapping foot could be considered so. The other pony had to be Tree Hugger, who was carrying a cage with a less than intelligent looking brown rabbit inside that was gnawing away at a carrot.

“Hello and welcome to Caravel Boutique where everything is chic, unique and absolutely magnificent! I believe you’re Fluttershy, I’ve heard a bit about you from Sassy and she’s doing much better from when I last saw her. I thank you for helping my friend, oh where are my manners? My name is Rarity Belle, now how can I help you?” The shy mare squeaked and hid her face in her mane at her approach; yep Rarity would easily become friends with her. The poor dear looked like she could use a few good friends given how adorable she acted; she turned to the other mare with some form of recognition. “You must be Tree Hugger; I thank you for directing me to Vera as she’s been a huge stress reliever for me.”

“Hello and you are most welcome Maker; it is a pleasure to meet you and many blessings. I am of the earth, but Tree Hugger is my given name.” The oddly flowing voice and strange demeanor made Tree Hugger sound like she was high or on some sort of medication to Rarity. “We are here for an EVA suit for Soul Judger’s friend here. He is Fluffy Knight; however his given name is Angel Rippinicus. Be warned, he is far more than he appears to be. Also he will be the judge of what he needs for his suit, please attend to him as best you can and we will pay for what he needs to survive his stalwart duty to my friend.”

The Lagotorphin looked at Tree Hugger flatly with his arms crossed. While he didn’t take being called Fluffy Knight kindly, he didn’t do much aside from attempting to physically glare a hole into the mare. Tree Hugger ignored Angel’s anger to move up to address Sassy, leaving Angel to reluctantly turn to Rarity with an annoyed look.

“Hello Reviving Spirit. You can choose to walk along a dark path if you wish, but do not follow it to its ultimate conclusion or all that you cherish will be taken from you.” Tree bowed her head to Sassy as she spoke once more. “You are most certainly in good hooves, blessings to your endeavors in the near future when darkness falls upon the world.”

“Um... can I get in a session with my therapist while she’s here Rarity-sama?” It was strange how Sassy was asking for permission from Rarity as if she were going to be scolded for shirking her duties as Coco’s temporary replacement.

“Why of course darling, she’s your friend after all! Why wouldn’t you want to speak with her?” Even as she gave her friend permission to get some time with her therapist while on the job, Rarity was measuring the reluctant looking Angel for his suit and eyed the caged rabbit that was sat down off to the side by Tree Hugger. The rabbit earned more than a mild hint of curiosity burgeoning within Rarity’s mind. “Do you need anything else Sassy?”

“I… no, I just need to talk with her. Come along Fluttershy, we’ll take this to the living space for some privacy. I would especially like to discuss the terms of my possible release into my friends custody, if you would even allow me such a grand privilege Flutter-chan.” Sounding like she was trying to be confident, Sassy left the room with Fluttershy. As they walked out Vera walked on in without a glance in her direction from either of them.

“Hello Living Ghost, it is nice to see you found the place where you are not perfectly invisible.” Tree Hugger had turned in Vera’s general direction, but she wasn’t looking directly at the spa pony. Vera visibly shivered at hearing this and was shocked that, while it didn’t look like Tree Hugger was looking at her, she was definitely the one being addressed by this odd mare. “How is Sheep Wolf, is she healing well? I am sorry that we cannot be introduced to one another personally, especially after her meeting with the hunters of life in their hall of the drowning spirits.”

“Who are you and what are you talking about? The only mare I know that’s injured on this ship is Coco; she’ll be out for the next day or so while the med-bed takes care of her injuries. She’s currently suspended in the medical fluids if that’s what you’re asking.” Vera tilted her head in confusion at the oddly smiling mare with the dull looking eyes. Vera couldn’t help but think that even if she couldn’t be seen by this strange mare, the mare somehow knew she was here despite the rather glaringly unique issue that had plagued Vera all her life. “She might need another day; she did lose quite a bit of blood. Her injuries, while not severe, were still pretty close to being fatal.”

“Yes, that is who I am talking of. It is good to hear she’ll be awake in time for it.” Tree talked at her instead of to her; because even she was affected by the inability to concentrate on the pony she called Living Ghost. She was still capable of indirectly talking to Vera and had directed Rarity to her services for a reason. “Tell Sheep Wolf, when she awakens from her slumber, that she should not fear Passionate Inferno. You should all know that Passionate Inferno would never intentionally hurt those who would only wish to be friends.”

“You’re one really batty pony Tree Hugger and you’re not even a Thestral Pony. Okay so that’s lights, oxygen, HUD and emergency cameras for the helmet of your EVA suit Angel?” Already having the CATs moving with the given measurements delivered from the data pad to her, Opal started up the necessary process to begin constructing the helmet after Angel gave a sharp firm nod to one of the drones. “We’re sorry to say that you won’t be able to utilize an impulse saddle, the smallest we can get is for a Cacceran and you’re way too small to lug one around everywhere. On the bright side the oxygen tank should last longer for you, plus we can put in an oxygen scrubber that will last just as long as if you had an impulse saddle.”

Angel looked a little flippant as he turned to Rarity while holding a paw out to the impulse saddles hanging nearby, as if to ask if there were any other options available.

“I don’t honestly know what we can do as an alternative to help you maneuver around in space.” As she said this Rarity was thinking on how she could give her customer what he wanted. Even if he had the size and appearance of a normal rabbit that made rather crude gestures and in general had a bad attitude, he was still valued as any other being that came to her for her services. “Well… can you settle for just having the magnetic clamps?”

Shaking his head no, Angel started to pantomime and squeak something that Rarity just couldn’t begin to understand, but it was obvious he wasn’t happy that his suit wouldn’t have full control in a space based environment. After he finished his small tantrum, he sighed and crossed his paws before squeaking something out that sounded apologetic after the previous tirade.

“Fluffy Knight states that he is a bit angry that you can’t make the impulse saddles any smaller, but he understands why there’s an issue. Making gear and equipment for his race is problematic for most people already and he is impressed that you are even capable of doing this much for him.” The fact that Tree Hugger could understand what he was saying and accurately translate it in its entirety shocked Angel Rippinicus to his very core, the fake rabbit started squeaking to Tree Hugger in a respectful tone. “He also states that he’ll just have to find his own means of propulsion and whatever else you can possibly put into the EVA suit will be fine.”

“Well there is one thing… it’s not thoroughly tested at the moment and it’s small enough to work for him.” It sounded like Opal knew of a solution to the problem, only it sounded an unsure shaky one at best. “However maneuverability will rely on learning the maximum range at which it can be used and how to use it safely because it could definitely lead to injuries if mishandled.”

“Really, is it something Coco came up with?” Because Rarity certainly didn’t hear of any interesting breakthroughs on utilities beyond the idea of adding a recharge station to the impulse saddle, it was a work in progress because a recharge station would require larger batteries to be installed into the saddle. While that would be a useful feature to recharge electronics or energy weapons with, it added a lot of weight to the impulse saddle.

“No, it’s something that Sassy has actually been recently working on. It’s not exactly perfected yet and needs some tweaking, but we could ask her nicely and maybe she’ll spare one for your customer.” It sounded like Opal knew what it was and it was a bit upsetting to Rarity that it hasn’t been brought to her attention until now. “It’s a small energy based grappling device, it has a good range and can attach to just about any surface. The problems that come with the device are slamming into a grappled surface at a high speeds, maintaining the grapple line is hard since it is easily broken by anything intercepting it once it’s attached and it needs to be recharged after thirty minutes of constant use.”

“Would that work for you Mr. Rippinicus?” The response Rarity received was Angel flailing out both his arms in a manner that said ‘of course it will, just get on with it already’. “Right then, Opal please get a channel to the living space so that we can ask nicely. Also please note that I will listen to your recording of Sassy and Fluttershy’s discussion later, yes I’m quite aware of your antics. Just give me the highlights when I think to ask for it and remind me to scold you about it later darling.”

“Yeah, I kind of figured you’d call me out on that. Hey Puncture Pants! Rarity needs to know if you can spare an energy grapple device for the Lagotorphin’s EVA suit. Also Butter Butt it’s going to be at least thirty minutes before we’re finished, EVA suits aren’t easy to make so you have plenty of time to work with Sassy.” After a pause Opal giggled a bit. “No, nobody can hear anything the two of you were or are currently saying… well aside from me of course. I am currently wired into the operations of this ship so it’s hard for me to not hear anything going on in my belly. Wow, that squeak was so low pitched only dog might be able to hear it. Hold on… okay you are live Sassy!”

“Yes, you have permission to sell one of my devices to the meat eating rabbit. Provided that he eventually provides feedback on it, I’m not exactly ready to stick a pin in it yet as being a done invention.” After a moment of shuffling, Sassy could be heard doing something to Fluttershy to make her squeak loudly enough that everyone in the workspace could hear it. “I’ll bring it on back and help you attach it to the suit in a minute.”

-

Angel looked at the device attached to the left paw of his suit; he aimed it towards the ceiling and fired. The pencil thin beam hit the ceiling with pinpoint accuracy as to exactly where he wanted it to be, then his face rammed into the ceiling causing almost everyone watching to flinch as he wasn’t wearing the suits helmet. Tree Hugger simply smiled a bit wider at the sight.

Angel stood up and started squeaking angrily to Sassy, while waving his paw furiously at her.

“I think I actually understood that, I am so terribly sorry. Maybe you could set the retraction speed to a fourth the strength and adjust it from there to account for your weight. I must say you’re quite tough for a small… male… fry.” Sassy didn’t sound sorry and couldn’t keep the distaste out of her voice at Angel’s gender and then she looked to a smiling Fluttershy to receive a nod. She was managing to keep herself under control very well at the moment. “Set it to zero if you’re going to be using it to swing around and make sure to recharge it when it runs low. I’m sure a highly intelligent Lagotorphin such as you can figure it all out from there by yourself.”

“Good job Sassy, I can see that your friends really are helping you keep your temper under control.” As Fluttershy said this she wrapped Miss Saddles in a comforting hug and rubbed her wings along the mares back. Even being this remotely cordial to a male was good progress for her patient, Fluttershy couldn’t help but feel that Sassy didn’t warn Angel about the retraction strength on purpose. In fact the smirk she saw on Sassy’s face when Angel smacked into the ceiling was quite telling, but it was still progress and Angel needed a small bit of comeuppance for several things. Being passive aggressive was Fluttershy’s form of fun, such as ignoring your best friend getting a small knot on his forehead. “You just need to take more foal steps in the right direction.”

“I’ve been meaning to ask, what’s with the rabbit in the cage?” The truth was, Rarity had almost been afraid to ask since she assumed Lagotorphin’s might eat rabbits given they weren’t sentient and thus free game.

“It’s Fluffy Knight’s pet rabbit known to me as Stress Reliever; her given name by Angel is Idiot Pillow.” Answered Tree with a completely straight face, if one were to listen closer they might be able to hear the creepy giggling.

Rarity’s right eye started twitching a little at the audacity of it all; Angel Rippinicus owned a pet rabbit?!

Author's Note:

Yep, Angel is a meat eater in this story and still friends with Fluttershy.

PreviousChapters Next