• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 1,017 Views, 184 Comments

Coarse Diamonds - Darkonshadows



Not hearing anything in space is not an excuse to never scream at all. Especially when you want to become famous, rich, part of high society and possibly find love along the way doing it.

  • ...
6
 184
 1,017

PreviousChapters Next
-120-

Rainbow was flying lead in a diamond formation with Wedge, Large and Butt through the asteroid field, things were looking awesome for their Wonder Bolts squadron even if they kept getting boring recon jobs like this one. Though Rainbow had learned a lot of things from looking up Lightning Dust’s history, things like boring not always a bad thing, it took a lot of soul searching for Rainbow to even admit that. It was quite informative as Lightning hadn’t just been a fighter pilot and commando, she had actively been like a worse version of Spitfire.

“Brash, you got anything on the scanners? The scanner isn’t giving me much to go on out here.” Wedge was always on top of things as usual and Rainbow found it reliable to have such a good pilot in her squad. “I mean no signs of anything other than a lot of pointy rocks.”

“Nope, but there has to be some asteroid eaters out here somewhere, we’re also supposed to be on the lookout for possible MOM incursion or signs that’s somethings up with the asteroid field. There have been reports of unusual activity out here and they called us for this job.” It made Rainbow happy to see Pinkie again, even if she was still hyperactive pie pusher. While Rainbow wasn’t exactly a fan of pies in the baked goods sense, she didn’t mind the Pie family even if Maude was still a little weird to talk to. They had a job to do and it wasn’t exactly a low risk one either, asteroid fields were no joke. “We have our orders, we are to immediately flee the area if we see any sign of a MOM or something unusual. I don’t know about any of you, but I heard what happened at Eweson and I’m not stupid enough to tackle a MOM core on my own without the backing of a battle ship or two. We’re actually playing it by the book unless we run into something unusual, we were only given the go ahead to take care of asteroid eaters if we see them and nothing else.”

“This is Butt, Can we turn our flight path to the right by at least twenty degrees? I think I saw something.” The four P-Wings did so without at Butts query without so much as an acknowledgement, they were quite in tune with one another. “Thanks guys… everyone stop right now!”

All four fighters fired their reverse thrusters until their momentum stopped, the four Pegasus piloted fighters sat amongst the field of twirling shifting aimlessly floating rocks waiting for something to happen.

“What is it? You know we can’t sit still for too long out here Butt, asteroid fields are labeled dangerous for fighters and other small ships for a reason. Remember that we need to send our ships in for repair after any mission in an asteroid field, even if it seems like nothing’s wrong.” If their Butt had seen something, then that means Rainbow needed to start paying attention. Patrol had just gotten a lot more interesting, hopefully not the Suicidal Seraphs levels of interesting. Those ponies were crazy, nuts and nowhere near sane enough when it comes to responding against threats. It made Rainbow wonder why those ponies weren’t a Shadow Bolts squadron, Luna took in a lot of crazy ponies into her lunar fleet didn’t she? “Not that I’m worried, I could fly my way through this field blindfolded and…. what in the buck?!”

“So that’s what she saw, what do we do Brash?” Large was trying not to sound worried.

“We should call it in, we’re not supposed to investigate things like this.” Wedge had the right idea, they needed to evacuate the area like yesterday after seeing something like that. “Might explain the unusual activity around here.”

“Right, we’re retreating to Streusel Station. It’s not a MOM, but it’s definitely something for the eggheads to take a crack at studying from a safe distance. Every pony get whatever scans you can grab, after that I want Large to form up with me. Butt your with Wedge. Two by two formation, try to keep your buddy in sight at all times. This is not a good place to be ambushed by anything.” After getting a scan of whatever that was with the fighter’s meager sensors, Rainbow reoriented her P-Wing and was followed by the three others after a moment. She started to swerve and weave through the many asteroids heading away from what they just saw. “Let’s get out of here guys.”

Rainbow’s friends were a bit surprised that Rainbow didn’t want to pursue an investigation further or do something all gung-ho for once, they were going to call Changeling Protocols on her when they got back just to make sure. Fortunately for the one Changeling in the region, those protocols would miss Maude’s beloved pet Boulder entirely.

-

Tree Hugger’s presence was usually followed by bad news, in this instance the bad news was what happened to Tree Hugger herself when she pushed Rarity out of the way of imminent danger.

Opal ended up on her back with her arm aiming in the right direction and she fired almost blindly, her bolt of electrical energy hit the correct target. The battery on her new arm mounted data pad dropped a by more than a quarter doing that just once, Opal was definitely going to Greta about this technical issue.

Chrysalis being one of the few that didn’t stay disoriented long enough from suddenly being blinded and deafened, had tackled the assailant violently. In the span from Opal hitting the floor and firing off a blast of electrical energy to Chrysalis bashing a hoof again the back of the human’s skull, the human had managed to fire off six material rounds in Rarity’s given direction.

Tree Hugger had been hit six times by really accurate shots, her wounds were not pleasant to look at and Rarity was freaking out about actually getting covered in the blood of a friend. Even when Ember went down, it looked like she had died immediately and Rarity was thankful that the dragon was still alive if in a critical situation. Tree Hugger didn’t look as savable.

“Fi’ereck’lin’dexe’pire’qwe SHRIKE!” After So’Grahd released her cybernetic ears, which thankfully deactivated due to a loud enough noise, she slowly reached back with her left cloven hoof and pulled out her material pistol. She carefully and slowly pulled two rounds from her special pouch, loaded and then fired them both into the down human’s calves when she was less disoriented. Her ears were bad enough, she didn’t need eyesight problems on top of it. She immediately pulled out her data pad, following the confirmation that she had loaded the Human’s leg with two large jagged bits of wood, and called the appropriate people. She removed the Human’s mask and got a picture of his face and then took off his gloves and got a picture of his hands. “This is Officer So’Grahd, civilian down, six shots fired, culprit caught, a flash bang was used, send a medical team STAT. Cybernetic hearing is down, so don’t bother responding, I can’t hear anything at the moment anyway. Sending images of the culprit and Human identifying markings now.”

Rarity just sat there holding Tree Hugger with a horrified look on her face, Tree Hugger wasn’t breathing and there was a hole in her neck. It was around this point that So’Grahd’s cybernetics reactivated.

“I’m an EMT let me help her.” Gone was Chrysalis’s goofy demeanor or jealous glances at Sassy and So’Grahd being relatively friendly. Now she had a serious look on her face as she stomped the Human’s head into the floor a bit with one of her rear legs, she approached Rarity who was holding Tree Hugger and looked her over. The hive she signed on with was just assaulted and she wasn’t a happy Changeling Queen.

Chrysalis did notice that the Human specifically went after Rarity, which was odd considering there were several other greater threats in the room. Sassy, So’Grahd and herself being among the most dangerous, someone was seriously gunning for Rarity’s life and she didn’t have any hints as to why. First, she had to help everyone get emotionally back on track and that meant putting her rather intrinsic knowledge on pony anatomy to the test. Quite frankly the emotions currently in the air tasted horrible and she wanted her ‘less than Changeling hive’ to have a healthy and positive mentality, so she just had to get Tree Hugger stabilized and back into a survivable condition.

“There’s apparently an EMT already on scene, dubious qualifications and doesn’t have much to work with. The shopkeeper seems to be hit as well, I’ll check on them in a moment.” This situation was a complete mess. Even if So’Grahd had been quite alert, but that attack had happened way too fast and the Human had been abnormally quick. She needed to find out if the Human was an enhanced one, so she started to check the perpetrator over and would be taking any weapon she can find. She placed her data pad on her head and held it there with her ears. “I hope help gets here soon. I will update as the situation develops.”

“I may be dubious, but I’m the best you have at the moment. Everyone else in the area scattered and are hiding as soon as the flash bang went off.” Mentally Chrysalis noted down there were six entry wounds on Tree, one became an exit wound in a most unfortunate location. “If any of them is a doctor, they aren’t coming out of cover any time soon. If you’re squeamish, then don’t watch.”

(Music can be looped with right click.)

Tree wasn’t breathing and with a diagnostics spell check her heart had stopped, most likely due to the shock of being hit six times in under two seconds by high velocity material rounds. The five material rounds in her would have to come out, but the near artery wound to the neck was the immediate worry. Thankfully there was no foreign material left behind in the neck wound.

Inhaling through her nose, Chrysalis built up a mass in her throat and then spat a wad of goo over Tree’s neck and carefully molded it to staunch the bleeding from the entry and exit wound. Rarity didn’t react to the sickening noises or that Chrysalis had done something so disgusting. Coco and Opal made their way over to Chrysalis with their ears flattened and feeling almost as upset as Sassy was, the fact that Chrysalis could even feel Sassy right now meant that she had to make her happy again by making sure this pony lived through any means necessary.

Sassy stayed next to the unmoving body of the culprit and Officer So’Grahd, she had failed to protect someone and she may have to take up learning a blindfolded sword style in the near future. Even where she failed, she was not letting the Human get away with this if he tried to get up. If he could get up after Chrysalis stomped on his head.

“What are you doing?” Apparently So’Grahd had something to say about Chrysalis spitting an unknown substance on a dying or dead mare.

“It’s a Changeling byproduct and completely antiseptic and sometimes used as a building material to strengthen tunnels, I need to pull the material rounds out of her and seal the wounds.” Chrysalis’s horn lit up and roughly pulled a material round from Tree’s left shoulder, the black crystal made Chrysalis shudder violently once she got a good look at it. She quickly dropped it off to the side with disgusted look on her face. A unicorn wouldn’t have been able to save themselves after being hit with something like this and if it had hit Sassy… Chrysalis spat on the bleeding shoulder and patted the Changeling gunk into place until it hardened. The Human wouldn’t be alive right now if he had hit Sassy with one of his material rounds. “Okay this is worse, I definitely need to pull all the material rounds out as quickly as possible given what they are. Opal I’m going to need your help in a second and stop looking so grim, she’s not dead yet!”

“Not… dead?” Some life came back into Rarity’s eyes. Looking at the crystal Chrysalis pulled out of Tree, her eyes widened, if a single one of those had hit her... well she was rather glad they didn’t. Tree Hugger wasn’t breathing and she was limp in Rarity’s hooves, she certainly looked dead and this was a close friend of theirs. She was closer to Gilda and Greta given their history of seeing each other a lot.

“Her brain is still alive, but not for long. If I can get her heart beating again, then I can save her. She’s going to cough up a lot of her vital fluids after this and she will need surgical attention on top of a blood transfusions. Darn, this one hit her spine. Nothing for it, this is going to be nasty.” As she said that Chrysalis’s green glowing horn ripped out another seven tipped black crystal, this time in a fountain of ripped flesh, fur and blood. She quickly spat another glob and started to pat it down while focusing her horn on one of the last two crystals. Nothing made her more upset than an ass ruining an ass, unless the ass ruined her romantic interest in any given way. She roughly pulled the material round from Tree’s left rump and spat another glob and shaped it. She looked at the final material round that had sunken into Tree’s left rear legs hock. “That’s the worst of it at least, her hock is going to be a bit mangled after this... but it has to be done as we can’t leave any of these crystals in her.”

Before anyone could ask, Chrysalis quickly pulled the last black crystal out of Tree and puked a larger glob onto the blood smeared leg. She started molding it around the entire leg making her oral excretions into a cast instead of a patch. This would be especially prudent when Chrysalis restarted her heart, she had to wait for this particular mass to harden before she could continue.

“Rarity, carefully roll her onto her back. Opal when I say ‘hit me’, fire that thing at me. After I get her heart beating I am going to do something really awkward to keep her alive.” Chrysalis seemed to be setting up for something as she stood up and move to put both her hooves on Tree’s chest. “So whatever you do, don’t panic when I do something unusual. I’m a, mostly trained, professional.”

“Mostly trained?” Given how strained Rarity’s voice was when it came out, this was not one of the things anyone would like to hear in this given situation.

“I was never allowed to prescribe or apply any medication to anyone, ever. It’s a long story and we don’t have the time for it. Also my methods were considered to be effective if a bit… brutal.” The stares Chrysalis was receiving didn’t bother her at all, though they were a bit disbelieving that she was still a licensed and accredited EMT. “You want her to live right? So don’t mind me if I do something completely unusual to save this mares life. Speaking of, what’s the time on that surgical team or at least equipment relating to that getting here?”

“ETA five minutes, though by then it could be too late to save her from the way you’re talking.” With the injuries the unintentional victim sustained So’Grahd would believe it, what she could hardly believe was that someone like Chrysalis was actually a trained EMT. Though she appeared to know what she was doing, ‘appeared’ being the defining word here.

“Right then, continuing this in a fast and completely messy manner it is.” The mess being all over the floor, also on and around Chrysalis and Rarity. It seemed as if Chrysalis’s bizarre attraction to bug zappers made so much more sense now, especially if she enjoyed playing with defibrillators. Speaking of, the Changeling Queen put an ear to Tree’s chest then lifted her head to look at Rarity. “Rarity, try to hold her still if she starts to struggle and if she starts coughing up fluids, turn her head to either the left or right. Opal, hit me.”

Opal pointed her right arm towards Chrysalis shivering a bit, but she still hit the button and another large chunk of the devices energy loosed itself into Chrysalis. Chrysalis was ready for it and channeled all that raw painful, and quite enjoyable by Chrysalis’s standards, energy down to her hooves and into Tree’s chest. The mare’s body seemed to jump slightly. Chrysalis immediately had her ear on Tree’s chest, she lifted her head and looked to Opal.

“Again, hit me!” The device had a little less than a quarter of its energy left after it unloaded on Chrysalis again, but that last bit of energy wouldn’t be needed as Tree started to flail her hooves and choke. Tree’s hooves were quickly bathed in a green glow and held still. Rarity had a small problem holding her down to the best of her ability, Tree was still very strong even as she was choking on the blood in her throat. “Turn her head and let her cough some of it out right now!”

Rarity quickly moved Tree’s head to the left, her hooves and pristine coat were splattered with the end results of Tree trying to clear her filling throat. Rarity bit her bottom lip and held Tree’s head to the side to the best of her ability.

“Okay, quickly tilt her head back up and force her mouth open with your magic, you need to make sure that it doesn’t close no matter what.” Following Chrysalis’s orders and completely horrified on a number of levels by the situation they were in, Rarity closed her eyes and her horn lit brightly prying open Tree’s mouth and holding it open. Tree’s eyes shot open and instead of panicking her legs relaxed and she just as quickly clenched her eyes shut, tears started to stream out of them. “Unhinge her lower jaw if you have to, just remember to make sure she doesn’t close her mouth! This is going to look really weird, but trust me it’s vitally important. Coco get over here and keep my hair out of the way.”

It made So’Grahd wonder what Chrysalis was planning, when she watched in disbelief as Chrysalis seemingly broke her own spine when she dislocated and contortioned the front half of her body upside down without somehow killing herself. Chrysalis’s furry carapace became stretched and it flexed awkwardly due to her actions. Her front legs were bent into an awkward position as she rotated them as well to continue standing on them. Chrysalis got her upside down head over Tree and moved jagged glowing horn gently into the mare’s mouth held open by Rarity who looked at Chrysalis’s concentrating face.

Coco moved forward and grabbed a hold of Chrysalis’s mane and found it to be quite surprisingly silky and rather smooth to the touch, she as well as the others were a little more than disturbed by what Chrysalis was doing with her own body. It looked quite unnatural even if Chrysalis was ridiculously flexible to the point that no pony could comprehend how her spine allowed her to do this without making a snapping noise.

“Sorry for the inconvenience, just try to relax. It’ll be over soon enough either way.” Chrysalis’s upside down eyes were directed at Tree Hugger who opened her eyes slightly with a pained look. Chrysalis slowly pushed her horn deeper into Tree’s mouth and throat. You could even see the glow of Chrysalis’s jagged horn through Tree Huggers throat. “I’ve only had to do this twice, so sorry for whatever you are about to feel next.”

A bright flash erupted from Tree’s throat and Rarity almost let go of Tree’s mouth as Tree jerked and struggled a bit, she even looked to be trying to get a hold of herself. Rarity held the Tree’s mouth open as Chrysalis slowly pulled her horn out with a massive glob of red following after it. She flicked the glob off to the side carelessly splattering its mass across the floor.

“Okay, let her mouth go Rarity. She’s going to need a blood transfusion real soon, but I’ve prevented any chance of asphyxiation, infection and choking by fixing the damage to her throat to the best of my abilities.” Sighing Chrysalis rubbed at her sore horn with a groan, she had just used up a lot of energy doing that. It’s a good thing she was always well fed. “She’ll still need surgical attention for the rest of her body. My patches can only last so long.”

Tree Hugger didn’t say anything and just stared at the ceiling taking in slow breaths, she stayed relatively still after Chrysalis pulled out her horn. It seemed like things were going to be fine.

“Did it have to look vaguely sexual like that?” Was Coco’s awkwardly posed question even as Chrysalis returned the front half of her body back to its correct state and looked at Coco.

“Yes, it did. Also you can let go of my mane now, only Sassy can hold it whenever she wants and for as long as she wants.” Yes, Chrysalis knew her mane was perfectly nice, but Coco was holding it for longer than she was comfortable with.

Coco let go of Chrysalis’s hair and backed away with a yelp and a vibrant blush on her face, slightly embarrassed at enjoying the feel of the hair sliding gently from her hoof.

“Is the patient stabilized?” So’Grahd approached them and saw that Sassy was still guarding the unconscious Human, she had just updated the shop keeper's current condition to her people.

“Yes, she’s going to be very weak for a while, because not many people can recover from being shot through the throat very well. I always find it surprising just how fragile everyone is compared to me.” A twitch in Chrysalis’s ear notified her of a problem, Tree’s breathing was getting shallower and she took it upon herself to breath into Tree’s mouth filling her lungs with air. She started to press on Tree’s chest to force her to breathe. “Correction, she might need some help to keep breathing. So if you’re capable of cardio pulmonary resuscitation let me know or else I’ll be busy for the next two minutes. Her lungs may have just slightly collapsed because I removed all the blood in them and her throat.”

After Chrysalis put her mouth to Tree’s again she felt a mass of love shoot straight into her mouth and was a little surprised that it wasn’t more intimate in how it felt, still as a thank you it was far more than Chrysalis would have expected. The Changeling Queen almost gagged on the unusual amount of love flooding her, but kept breathing into Tree. When she worked Tree’s chest again she gave the slightly smiling mare an unamused look. Two more rounds of CPR had Tree Hugger once again breathing on her own after coughing and hacking out a few small flecks of blood, but she wasn’t saying anything.

Once it was clear that Tree Hugger was going to be okay on her own for a minute, Chrysalis went to check on the Cacceran shop keeper. The crystal was lodged in his helmet after altering trajectory after going through Tree’s neck and that had save his life, he wasn’t seriously injured and was just unconscious. They all breathed a sigh of relief and waited for So’Grahd’s reinforcements or the medical unit to arrive.

It wouldn’t be long before the shop was cordoned off and the medical team picked up Tree Hugger, the mare just smiled at her friends from the stretcher as she was taken away.

-

It had been a hour since the rather unusually targeted attack against their ship, but Gilda was making her way out of the central right side elevator towards medical. She could wash off the blood and machine oil when she was done checking on something important.

“I swear we need better alerts for crap like that happening, didn’t see them coming until they burned halfway through the door in section two of my hangar. Bunch of bloody body part replacing bastards.” Grumbled an exceedingly aggravated Gilda, quite a number of the spare parts she had set aside for her next project were ruined in the fighting. Nothing for it, she’d just have to wait until she could go shopping for more materials that weren’t turned into scrap metal.

Gilda was making sure Ember was still sleeping soundly and that nothing had happened to the dragon while they were all busy kicking ass, the ship had been rocked by quite a few explosions and thankfully those explosions didn’t cause another hull breach.

The griffon would also be checking up on Mr. Spew, the designated medical room guardian. Gilda seriously doubted anyone would want to bother the little squid that can spew flesh melting acids or oily fireballs that acted exactly like a heavily virulent version of napalm, not to mention toxic substances that were so poisonous that no cure could possibly be designed for them before you died from it. The stupidly toxic substances that worked on skin contact were likely saved for someone that truly deserved it in Mr. Spew’s opinion, the squid could handle a lot of minor annoyances before he’d even start breathing small balls of fire or freezing cold liquids.

“Hey there little guy, your tank is looking a little clean there. Do you want something filthy and toxic? Huh, do you? Do you boy?” If anyone were to see Gilda flip a switch and start cooing over the deadly squid, she’d deny it to her dying breath that she really liked the deadly little thing. It was like how she treated Opal coolly and yet actually liked being called her Aunt Gilda. “Who’s a cute little disaster waiting to happen, you are! You also play a mean game of cards and I accept that your far more intelligent then I’m currently giving you credit for.”

Mr. Spew popped up from the almost clean water and he was slightly bigger than last time, he didn’t want to get too big or he might never fit on one of Ember’s shoulders again. Sewer squids were limited to how big they got because they had other sewer squids eating as much filth around them as they did. With the change in environment, Mr. Spew was a growing boy and he was bound to get deadlier the bigger he got. He raised two tentacles above the water and made a happy gurgling sound, happy to at least see someone recognizable moving about. It was easy for anyone to tell that he was chronically depressed about Ember’s grievous injuries, just interacting with anyone made his day.

“So on today’s menu is fish marinated with a particularly nasty chemical and sautéed with some really bad bacteria with a smell that’s like rotten eggs that only you might find enjoyable. It’s that or I can just pour a quart of our laundry detergent and a pint of bleach into your tank again and stir vigorously with some chopped Aconitum. You really seemed to like the Aconitum a lot the last time I used it.” The squid seemed to give Gilda’s menu choices some thought as she pointed a claw to which tentacle he should raise to make his choice. He had lowered his tentacles when she pointed to each one, after giving it some though he raised both of his tentacles and squealed softly making Gilda snicker. “Feeling like something more substantial today eh? I’ll swing it just for you little buddy. How’s Ember doing?”

The sad whining noise was a bit hard for Gilda to listen to since it would be quite grating on anyone’s hearing, that was before it turned into a more melancholic upbeat chittering. Then there was a few clacks of his beak and he sounded a bit lonely, they were definitely not going back to Eweson any time soon to find him a playmate or just a mate in general. He was obviously missing Coco, who liked to cuddle him, and wanted more physical interaction.

“Yeah, I didn’t understand any of that.” Blithely state Gilda though she knew Mr. Spew was trying his best to respond. It was kind of sad that Gilda didn’t have a universal translator in stock for squid based creatures. If such a thing existed, she’d make a mint from selling the plans for it. “I’ll find something for you to toy with after feeding you okay? Maybe some of Trapeze’s water proof cards or just a puzzle that wouldn’t mind being a bit waterlogged?”

Mr. Spew chittered happily and swam a small circle while waving a tentacle in Gilda’s direction, the griffon smiled at him and left to go fetch his nasty inedible food. Well inedible to most beings that want to keep living a long and prosperous life.

Slaughtering a hundred and forty three cyborgs in such short amount of time made Gilda a bit hungry herself, not to mention all the flying she had to do to avoid getting shot. She could just eat her meal next to the Mr. Spew’s tank and keep the poor thing entertained, any uneaten leftovers she could just dump directly into the tank to fester and that would make a nice dessert for the squid.

Author's Note:

Fixed some minor issues I had with the previous chapter, the major ones are still there though. Also yes, I'm pretty bad at times.

This chapter is mostly centered around Chrysalis's many talents, if a Changeling gets injured while disguised they'll need a doctor in the know right?

I would have used something from a Trauma Center game, but I chose Gunvolt instead just be exceedingly odd.

PreviousChapters Next