• Published 17th Jul 2016
  • 1,344 Views, 50 Comments

Untouchable - Magenta Gleam



A visitor to Equestria quickly realizes that he has a curse cast upon him. Is there a cure or will he die as untouchable as he lived?

  • ...
13
 50
 1,344

Chapter 13

Eric’s P.O.V.

From the moment we left Twilight’s library we barely spoke a word, not because we had nothing to say but because we were being watched. Not a few second after walking out the door we could see them. The ponies from earlier were there, barely hiding behind trees and buildings. Honestly for beings that supposedly held the most power in the world and had saved it several times, the hard time they were having staying hidden made the story seem like nothing but overblown tales. If I hadn’t been told some of them by Twilight of course. The entire walk from the library they followed us and even Sanguine noticed, her bouncing step almost coming to a complete stop and becoming a regular canter.

We were so focussed on the group that I barely noticed the strange looks the townsfolk were giving us. Barely contained gasps and confused stares followed us as every single member of the town watch the tall biped, baby dragon, alicorn and unicorn walking through the marketplace and out towards the train station. Our small group cared not for that, only the group of five that followed us and it was starting to become irritating. They didn’t want to annoy Twilight again and she didn’t want to hear anymore negative words spoken out against me.

All in all it made the trip feel much longer than it should have as we were all tense, both from the earlier confrontation and our current stalkers. Once we tried to lose them, turning into a small alley way and running ahead but as they probably guessed where we were going that was just a waste of energy. The moment we entered a main thoroughfare back towards the station we could see them again. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy on a completely not suspiciously moving cloud and Rarity, Applejack and Pinkie Pie leaning out from the corner of a building. Giving up on escaping our pursuers we decided just to pretend they weren’t there and walked as fast as we could through the watching crowds to the train station.

Once we arrived Twilight bought us all tickets and we waited on the platform as her friends all gathered at the other end, all trying to pretend that they weren’t watching. One by one we all looked at each other and I’m pretty sure we were all thinking the same thing.

Do they really think they are fooling anyone?

Settling with an awkward silence we sat there awaiting the incoming train and as minutes passed us by we did nothing but sit there, occasionally glancing at the ponies who even without direct interference were causing us all a lot of stress. When it all became too much Twilight finally opened her mouth to talk.

“Maybe I should g-.” She began before being cut off by the loud whistling of the train which was heading towards us at great speed. “Ohh nevermind.”

With the hissing of brakes it stopped directly in front of us and the doors opened, a large crowd of ponies of all colours and races swarmed past us (I had to get out of the way not to accidentally hurt anyone) and we pushed through to take our places on the train. Luckily Twilight had thought to purchase us a cabin so at least now we would finally have a modicum of privacy. Settling on the seats we all let out a sigh of relief, knowing that while our stalkers may have joined us on the train at least they weren’t in the same room as us.

“I can’t believe they are being so mean, following our every hoofstep like we are the ones at fault!” Sanguine groaned while laying down on the seat beside Spike.

“Twilight, have they ever been like this before?” I asked the lavender alicorn.

“No, I don’t understand this. Even after the whole Zecora incident once they got to know her everypony accepted her and she is always welcome now. I can’t believe that they won’t even give you a chance to show that you aren’t just some monster!” She answered, a sigh of exasperation leaving her mouth.

“You’re really close to Princess Celestia aren’t you Twilight?” Sanguine asked her.

“Of course she is. Twilight was the personal protege of the princess until she became a princess herself. They’ve known each other since Twilight was only a little filly.” Spike answered for Twilight.

“Well won’t the princess trust you at your word then? I’m sure her input would change their minds.” Sanguine reasoned.

As we all thought about it a smile started to come to our faces.

“Thank you Sanguine, I can’t believe none of us had thought about that already. If the princess deems Eric as safe then the girls will have to accept it. Even Rainbow Dash wouldn’t stand up to an assessment from Celestia.” Twilight said to the bubbly unicorn.

“Hey, I just want my friends happy and smiling. It’s my special talent after all.” She said, indicating to her flank emblazoned with a silver smile in a red heart.

“Well with this situation it’s greatly appreciated Sanguine, really thank you.” Twilight said with a big smile.

“By the way I’ve heard you mention them a few times already but what is with those tattoos?” I asked the group.

“You mean you don’t know what cutie marks are?” Twilight asked, her smile turning slightly creepy.

“They are just tattoos aren’t they?” I asked in return before adding. “And why do you call them cutie marks?”

“I’m not sure what you mean by tattoo but I’ll tell you what they are. Cutie marks are a visual identifier of a ponies special talent. Usually we get them when we are young, most commonly in our colt or filly years. Most often they appear as we come to the realisation of what our individual special talent is. Mine for example.” She indicated to the starburst on her flank. “Is a visual representation of magic in all forms which means that I am especially in tune with magic.”

“Huh.” I sat there stunned, remembering a few of the marks I had already seen and what they could possibly mean about the ponies they belonged to. “So can only ponies get them or am I going to one day suddenly get a mark on my butt?”

“Actually that’s a good question. Some extremely talented zebra have been known to get cutie marks but apart from that only ponies get them. Many theories say that it’s due to a ponies natural reservoir of magic that makes it possible for them to obtain cutie marks but no one is 100% sure. I guess if you ever get one that might make for a more specific answer.” As she said this I watched the creepy look in her eyes grow for a moment before she raised a hoof to her chest and pushed it out with a breath of air. “Sorry, I tend to get worked up with new information.”

“That’s ok Twilight. Honestly I wish I had something like that, going through life not knowing what I am really good at has been one of the primary reasons the anxiety you’ve seen has grown so powerful.” I explained to her.

“Don’t worry about it Eric. Dragons don’t get cutie marks and we are perfectly ok without them. You’ll find what you are good at, I know it!.” Spike said which made me smile widely.

I let that thought roll around my brain before a question occurred to me. “But you breath fire, isn’t that magical?”

Twilight immediately went back into lecture mode. “Dragon fire is actually a scientific process that is done within their bodies. They break down compounds in their diet and the ones that are used to maintain their metabolism go to that but anything that can become combustible are refined into those compounds and stored within their bodies. When fire is needed to be used their body brings forward those compounds and light’s them with a special stone like growth in their throats. Spike here though is different as when I hatched him the large amount of magic I used was imbued into his throat which is then powered by the residual magic of Equus.”

“Woah! Okay!” I said, almost bowled over by the amount of information spouted at me in the matter of moments. “So Spike can use magic but it isn’t part of him. Good to know. Anyway, how far are we from Canterlot?” I asked the group.

“We should arrive at dawn, so 12 hours.” Twilight said, looking at the mountain in the distance and the dying light of day.

“Alright, I’m going to get some sleep. You all should too.” I told my friends.

“I’m going to stay up, incase the girl try to come in and mess with you.” Spike retorted.

“Thanks buddy, but that won’t be a problem. It’s not like they can hurt me.” I told the loyal drake, a dry laugh escaping my mouth. “Goodnight everyone, thanks for being here with me.”

I lay back and the last thing I heard was the voices of my friends saying good night before a dreamless sleep overtook me.

Author's Note:

Almost 2 hours late posting but not bad considering I didn't even think I would be able to write this today.
Sorry if this chapter is not up to my usual quality. (if that word can be used)

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed and is fo any likes, favourite or comments are greatly appreciated.

If you think I did something wrong leave that here do and I'll do my best to fix it.

Laters everypony.