• Published 27th Jul 2016
  • 4,346 Views, 56 Comments

Battle of the Moon and Sun - EASTON



Princess Luna's sister returns after 1000 years on the moon and Twilight sparkle will do everything in her power to stop her and defend her country and her mother.

  • ...
5
 56
 4,346

Prologue

Canterlot: Residential District

The door was busted down with great force alerting the two ponies that lived in it that they had been found out and the Night guard was coming for them.

"Halt! You are under arrest for high treason."

The couple attempted to escape but their efforts were in vain. Nopony had ever escaped from the Night guard who, unlike the Royal guard that was tasked with dealing with simple problem like a glorified police and were trained in defending, were trained to capture dangerous criminals.

As the guards were taking the arrested ponies out of the building a young colt watched as his parents were being taken away. When the guards left he entered the place that was his home. A bunch of questions wandered through his mind. 'What would happen to his parents?' 'To his younger sister?' 'Would she be okay?' 'He knew she ran away, but would she return?' 'What should he do now?'

In the end he just took as many of his parents' books and notes as he could carry and ran away never to return again.

----------

Canterlot Castle

Princess Luna sat in the castle's common room, a room for where only she and close family and friends could socialize and would only be disturbed by guards if there was an emergency, next to a crying filly.

After having waited a few minutes a pink alicorn showed up.

"Princess Luna. This room isn't usually a place for you to summon me, is something wrong?"

"Before anything else, this room is for private situations not formal. So I would appreciate it if you called me by my name ambassador."

Both mares shared a brief giggle at the statement and afterwards the younger one gave a little sigh.

"So what's the occasion Luna?"

The tall mare gave a nudge to the little filly so she would make herself present. The small infant stepped into view of the pink and gave a little smile to say hi.

"Cadenza, meet Twilight Sparkle. This young filly has lost her family and she will be staying in the castle from now on."

"So you've adopted her?"

"No. But I sensed strong magic deep within her, stronger than some adults, and since she wanted to enroll in the Academy for Talented Unicorns, I have decided to take her on as my personal student. Of course she will also attend normal classes at the Academy in hope she has a foalhood as normal as possible. However, I am not always available so, not as the princess but as a friend, I ask you. Will you help me raise her?"

Cadenza just gave a little smile and answered. "Oh, Luna. You know you can always count on me."

"Thank you Cadenza."

"Now, I have to do some paperwork regarding the matter. Could you take care of Twilight meanwhile?"

"Sure. No problem."

Once Luna had left the room Cadenza turned to see the little filly. She was small, had purple fur and had yet to receive her cutie mark.

"Well, hello little one. What's your name?"

"Didn't you hear the princess? My name is Twilight."

"Well twilight my name is Mi Amore Cadenza and I live in the castle just like you will. I hope we can become good friends."

"Nice to meet you miss, umm...? Sorry your name is a bit long and hard."

Cadenza just had to let herself giggle at the filly's statement. "You can just call me Cadence. And no 'miss' please."

----------

Canterlot Castle: Highest Tower Some hours later.

Luna sat in her balcony staring at the moon as she often did in the latest years when Cadenza arrived.

"I must say, that filly you've taken under your wings is quite something."

"Uh?... Oh, yes. After spending some time with her I noticed her peculiar personality."

"However; she will need a mother figure. It is essential on a foal's life. And no matter how much I do, I know me and at best she'll see me as a sister."

"Now, though I said I wouldn't adopt her, I will serve as a mother figure and should the future decide to change our relationship to the one you suggested then it will be so."

Having said that Luna returned to her previous activity.

"Is something wrong princess?"

Luna gave a look to the mare that had been her ambassador and advisor for the last 235 years. She knew she couldn't hide this fact for much longer as she had already noticed and even so she would have had to tell her eventually.

"Are you aware of 'the legend of the mare in the moon?'"

"Of course; everypony in Equestria is.

Two sisters once ruled over our land: one moved the sun and ruled during the day and the younger controlled the moon, ruled during the night and protected the dream realm. But eventually the elder one let the citizens of the land believe that her sister was responsible for the nightmares of the land and that the night was something to fear; and thus the alicorn of the night became known as Nightmare Moon while the other basked in the godlike glory the normal ponies had now put her in. But her tyranny would not be allowed for long, because if she had her way; it would lead to longer days until there was no more nights, so the two sisters fought in a battle for the throne and in the final moments, when the two mares had reached their limits, the mare of the night used the power of the gems known as the 'Elements of Harmony' and banished the arrogant alicorn in the moon where she would never see the light of her precious sun.

That is the tale of 'the mare in the moon'. But that is just a story. What's so important about it?"

Luna remained silent for a few montes before speaking. "The legend is true." To say that the statement shocked the pink alicorn was an understatement as she was completely speechless. "Before his death, Star Swirl discovered a prophecy:

On the thousand year, the stars will aide her escape.

And that will be on fifteen years."

"But, if she comes back, she'll ruin Equestria. We have to do something or... or..."

"Worry not Cadenza. For the last eighty-five years I have been preparing for this. And in five years, I will chose four unicorns (young, strong, and skilled in magic, that have proved their loyalty) to teach them spell to help me defend our land."

"But why young ones and not mages?"

"Mages are know for their skill in magic and ability to cast and create spells, but not their skill in combat. When she returns, battle will undoubtedly engage."

"I understand."

After that no more words were said and both mare went to bed so Cadenza could sleep and Luna could do her duties as guardian of the dream realm under the disguise of 'Sandmare'.

One thing was certain for the future of everypony; peace would soon come to an end.