• Published 9th Jul 2016
  • 2,462 Views, 52 Comments

Legends from the Dark Side of the Mirror - GrimWolf



These are the stories and the origins from the Legends in a world where the Good King Sombra used to rule.

  • ...
3
 52
 2,462

I Will Protect

The royal palace sat idle. Quiet. Even quieter than normal as its regular guard detail and acting rulers were now busy dealing with the aftermath of a power mad Nightmare turning a large portion of the city into a floating stage.

A figure dressed in black robes trotted slowly through the desolate hallways, and past the stained glass windows. Past the window of Princess Trixie the Humble. Past the window of Judges Flim and Flam the Fair. Past the window of Queen Chrysalis the Loving, and many more. A window dedicated to Captain Good Guy the Compassionate, Starlight the Inspiration, Derpy Doo the Wise, the Muse Sisters, and more, filling the hall with colors and memory. Finally, the figure paused, looking up at the window of Captain Gilda the Temperate.

The figure continued on and set down in a study, placing a book on the table.

“Some ponies fall to darkness. Others simply live life. Some petty crooks, others inspirations. As for me...I am but a record keeper. A storyteller. And stories I have to tell. Stories of those who become Legends...”


Captain Gilda sat in the transport helicopter, clad in silver and crimson armor, her spear and shield by her side. The shield was a family heirloom from Griffonstone. Her helmet sat on the seat next to her where she could grab it at a moment's notice.

“So we're finally going to get to take down Spitfire?” asked a white unicorn with a pink mane and tail, a medic symbol on her armor. While hidden by her armor, her Cutie Mark was a red cross surrounded by pink. This was Corporal Red Heart, the squad's medic who had helped them survive countless battles.

“Frightened?” replied a white mountain of muscle with wings so small one would question if he was an Earth Pony when his considerable strength was taken into account. His hidden Cutie Mark was a dumbbell and his name was Lance-Corporal Bulk Biceps, the squad's strategist and technician. “Would you rather be in a hospital in Canterlot?”

Red Heart rolled her eyes in annoyance. “No, I said it when I enlisted: with all due respect to doctors and nurses, I couldn't stand to be stuck safe in the capital knowing ponies on the front lines were dying and I could save them. I meant that it feels kinda...weird, doesn't it?”

“She's got a point,” said a light red unicorn stallion with a black mane. His hidden Cutie Mark was simply a red shirt, as was his name: Private Red Shirt, the team sniper. If you were to make fun of his name, you would not be the first. After all, the Red Shirts were the foot soldiers of the evil Federation on the Star Trot television show...but these are legends, are they not? “I mean all this time being one of Celestia's teeth, then...well, now she's just some two-bit terrorist.”

“Stealing the first supply of storm clouds since Celestia and Luna changed their ways and kidnapping in the First Degree of the Cloud Gremlins transporting them isn't quite 'two-bit,'” remarked a turquoise Pegasus with a yellow mane and tail. Her Cutie Mark, if it were visible, was a lightning bolt with three stars at the bottom. Staff-Sergeant Lightning Dust was Gilda's second in command. “Both of which are felonies on their own carrying an estimated combined sentence of 30 years or more in prison and/or a fine of up to 42,857 bits or more. Combined with Spitfire's numerous war crimes, she's looking at life sentence.”

Bulk Biceps rolled his eyes. “It was simply a figure of speech, Lightning Dust.”

“A criminal has a right to know the charges of which they are accused, it's the rules,” the turquoise mare replied. She then looked to Gilda. “Speaking of which, Captain, how were hostage negotiations going?”

Gilda looked up. “Last I heard, not very well. You know Spitfire, she ain't one to take things fast. Likes to draw it out and make as big of a noise as she can. She'll probably do something to the hostages just to draw attention.”

“Then we're going in to extract the hostages and take down Spitfire and the remaining Firebolts if at all possible?” Lightning Dust asked, maintaining a decisively no nonsense demeanor.

“That's the plan,” was the captain's reply.

“Tall order. Powers or no powers, Spitfire and the remaining Firebolts aren't push overs,” Red Shirt interjected.

“Yeah, but we've got Equestria's greatest warrior on our side,” Red Heart said, giving Gilda a smile. “Right, Captain?”

Gilda blushed. “I'm just a hen from Griffonstone, Corporal.”

“What I am wondering is why Spitfire is still doing this,” Bulk Biceps replied, tapping his chin. “Most of the Firebolts either fled the country or turned themselves in when Celestia was reformed, what's her motive? Money?”

“...Making sure everypony knows her name, Lance-Corporal,” the Captain of the Royal Guard replied, looking out the window. “That's what this has always been about...”

+++

Years ago, before Luna's folly. Before Cloudsdale's destruction...there was a race at a flight school in that floating city.

A rainbow colored blur crossed the finish line first, followed shortly there after by a fiery streak. It was a few moments before the other racers would cross. Coming in next to last was a cream colored pegasus filly...and dead last was a wheezing, coughing, sickly looking griffon chick.

“Why to go Rainbow Dash,” said Fluttershy, giving the pegasus a playful hit to the leg.

The cyan pegasus blushed heavily. “Um...thanks...I did my best...”

“Way...way to go...Rainbow Dash!” called Gilda, panting and wheezing. Several ponies chuckled and pointed at her mockingly, a frequent occurrence.

“Gilda?! Are you alright?!” Rainbow asked, galloping over to her friend.

“Y-Yeah...just need to...catch my breath...” said the sickly young griffon, giving a smile as her friend patted her on the back to help her breathe. She tried to simply let the hurtful looks and points roll off her back. “You were...awesome...”

“T-Thanks...it was nothing...” replied the filly, looking like she'd hide behind her mane if it were longer.

However, the race's outcome wasn't 'nothing' to one pegasus filly. It was 'everything.' Spitfire ground her teeth, looking at Rainbow Dash as a predator would look at an intruder upon their territory. This was not the first race they'd had, nor the last, that Rainbow had won.

The fiery pegasus got a malicious smirk and positioned herself properly. As the trio passed, Spitfire stuck out her hind leg just in time for Rainbow to trip over it. The poor filly tumbled and crashed into a trashcan positioned beside the race track, getting it dumped all over her and sparking laughter from all but her own close friends.

“Huh, looks like you aren't so coordinated after all, are ya?” asked Spitfire, giving a laugh and looming over Rainbow Dash. “After that spill, maybe we should call you Rainbow CRASH,” she mocked...then looked to the other students with an intimidating glare. “RIGHT?!”

With that, a number of students fell in line and began chanting 'Rainbow Crash.'

Rainbow Dash whimpered as her friends helped her out of the trash and Gilda glared at the fiery pegasus, who glared right back. Fluttershy simply backed away, trying not to draw attention to herself.


+++

“Spitfire had been there longer than all three of us,” Gilda explained, giving a sorrowful look. “Until Rainbow showed up, she was the big filly on campus and had won every race without even trying...then we showed up and Rainbow Dash gave her a rival...and that was the last thing she wanted. Spitfire couldn't STAND that Rainbow was able to keep up with her...so she broke her.”

“Geeze...” Red Heart said, rubbing her head uncomfortably. “I didn't know that girl had it THAT bad...”

“Well she did, and it wasn't pretty,” Gilda replied as the helicopter touched down at the landing spot. The hen put on her helmet and grabbed her armaments, placing a spear on his back. “Alright, we're getting ready to move out! Red Shirt! Be ready with nonlethal rounds! Biceps, you cover their escape paths! Lightning Dust and Red Heart, you're with me! Get in, grab the hostages and get out! Are we clear?!”

“Ma'am, yes, ma'am!”

“Yes,” was Bulk Biceps reply, donning his helmet and equipping armored horseshoes that covered his forelegs with some kind of machinery equipped onto them. “It is about time to take Spitfire down. You had better be on point, rookie.”

Red Shirt prepped a crossbow, holding it in his telekinesis a deep crimson hue. “I always am.”


Spitfire, 'the Blazing Terror' as she had become known to the pegasi, sat inside the grounded cloud transport, looking out upon the crowd gathering with a sinister smirk. She and her cohorts were dressed in full body uniforms. Their mask was a blazing yellow, an orange bolt outlining the divide at the neck. The main body was a deep crimson, with the same blazing yellow for the boots. The Cutie Mark was covered with an exact duplicate of Celestia's corrupted Cutie Mark of an orange sun with a black core. Their eyes were covered by menacing red lenses shaped like flames.

Spitfire had devices attached to her forelegs with metallic, forward facing nozzles and other mechanics. Each had a tube that went up her legs to a tank of some kind on her back with 'Flammable' emblazoned on their sides. Stripped of her power or not, Spitfire still had plenty of connections in the criminal underworld. Including certain ponies in the far north.

“Smile, we're on camera,” the devilish mare said, pointing to the camera crew reporting on the situation.

Another Firebolt with a white mane jumped at their leader's attention. “Y-Yeah, cool.”

“Cool? Just COOL, Fleetfoot?” the leader of the Firebolts asked, her tone suddenly switching to one that would be perfectly at home coming from a drill sergeant.

“I mean awesome, Spitfire!” Fleetfoot replied, then noticed the look that earned from her superior. “CAPTAIN Spitfire I mean!”

“That's more like it.”

“Yeah, Fleetfoot, enjoy it,” said a navy blue maned Firebolt in a smooth tone, giving a sadistic smirk. “We'll be on the news tonight.”

“That's the spirit, Soarin',” Spitfire replied, giving a smirk before turning around and turning on a television.

“We are on hour three of the Firebolts hostage situation...” said the reporter.

Soarin' promptly looked to Fleetfoot, his expression changing to a far less smooth and calculating one. “...It's not like we have a choice anymore...” he whispered in a much less sinister tone.

“What was that?” Spitfire asked, snapping around suddenly.

“Oh! Just saying that I can't believe the other Firebolts chose not to follow you, Captain Spitfire!” Soarin' replied quickly, slipping back into his more smooth and sadistic tone. The other Firebolts with them currently consisted primarily of desperate former members of Celestia and Luna's regime who knew nothing else they could do, or hired thugs Spitfire had gotten connections with. A far drop from their previous number, which had been bolstered by a certain charisma many of their members had had that attracted many young ponies to something they'd certainly not known they were getting into.

Spitfire's prideful mood suddenly gave way to a snarl. “I was thinking the same thing. You'd think they didn't like me or somethin'.” The Firebolt leader turned her head and noticed one of the tied up Cloud Gremlins hostages trying to wiggle free. She pointed one of her hooves at him, the device on the corresponding foreleg sparking up an intense flame in front of the nozzle. “Hey! You're not trying to get away, are ya?”

The captive Gremlin trembled in terror and shook his head frantically.

“Good. Because the real party hasn't even started yet...not until someone worth a REAL news report shows up...” she mocked, looking to a red button on one of her foreleg gauntlets.


Gilda watched the situation from a distance, not seeming to have any difficulty seeing despite being a large distance away, almost as if her eyes were better than any binoculars she could get. She snarled looking at the fiery maned pegasus.

+++

Rainbow Dash flew around another turn, her and Spitfire neck and neck. The two fillies trying to overtake the other. Gilda, while still far behind, was doing a far bit better, having grown more apt at pacing herself, even if she was still having difficulty breathing. Spitfire snarled in fury as the cyan pegasus began to pull ahead...then got a smug look in her eye as she spotted a lightning cloud up ahead next to the track. It was a more advanced course, the cloud intended to be a hazard to try and get around but ultimately not that dangerous...but just dangerous enough for Spitfire's needs. As they passed, the fiery maned pegasus snagged a piece of it and covertly chucked it right next to her cyan rival's wing. Rainbow Dash gave a scream as the little piece of cloud gave her enough of a jolt to send her spinning out and right into another cloud.

“Nice spin-out, Rainbow CRASH!” Spitfire shouted as she flew passed.

Gilda glared from the middle of the pack ...but no pony else seemed to notice, or were too intimidated to say a thing.


On another race, Rainbow Dash was once more widening the gap on Spitfire...only for the filly to wait for a corner on the track before catching up just enough to slam a hoof into Rainbow's back leg, driving her off course just enough to slam into the clouds on the side of the path instead of properly banking the corner.

“Good job, Rainbow Crash!” yelled the fiery pegasus.

+++

On yet another race, as the ponies flew down the path, Spitfire gave a nod to the distance, prompting a young Soarin' who wasn't even part of the race, to hide in a cloud up ahead on the course...and stick his leg out, clipping Rainbow's wing and sending her spinning out. This time her attempts to right herself resulted in her slamming into the rest of the race (minus Spitfire, who dodged) and knocking most of them into the clouds, some of which gave them a good shock.

“Nice going, Rainbow Crash,” one of them mocked, the others starting in as Gilda and Fluttershy tried to help her, Gilda casting a glare at Spitfire.
+++
Rainbow Crash rummaged through her locker...right before Spitfire hip-checked her as she passed, sending her crashing into the locker and the locker slamming shut on her.
+++
“Spitfire? I-I'm sorry I beat you in the race t-today...I...” Rainbow Dash started, backing away from the older pony, cowering before her.

“It was just a fluke...after all, it's not like you're able to beat me any other time, right?” Spitfire said, her voice harsh and demanding.

“Well I-”

“You WHAT?” the fiery filly asked, pushing Rainbow against the cloud wall roughly, the industrial clouds having very little give.

“I...I was just trying to race...”

“Come in second, come in third, fourth, fifth, I don't care, but NEVER come in first when I'M the one racing you, GOT IT?”

“But...but that's not f-fai-GAH!”

Rainbow Dash crumpled to the ground, coughing and holding her stomach from where Spitfire had bucked her.

“Life isn't fair, get used to it, Rainbow CRASH. In fact...let's make that your name from now on, shall we?” Spitfire asked, kicking her again, this time in the wing. This would not be the last time Spitfire would allow her grudge to become violent.

Gilda watched in horror and ran up to Rainbow Dash...while Fluttershy watched, hesitating. “Rainbow Dash, are you alright?!”

The young griffon was roughly bucked off Rainbow Dash into the wall. “What did I just say, wimp?”

+++

“Alright, here's the plan,” Gilda said, looking to her squad with authority. “Biceps, you cover the escape and get ready to give them Tartarus if they try to run. Red Shirt, hit 'em with a smoke charge and then give us cover fire after that. Dust, you, me, and Red Heart on hostage evac. Red Heart, once the hostages are safe, you look 'em over while the rest of us turn back in and take 'em down. Are we clear?”

“Ma'am, yes, ma'am!”

The rest of the group covertly headed out while Red Shirt stayed behind and taking careful aim through one of the windows with his crossbow, looking through the sight.

Bulk Biceps took a position to intercept anypony who tried to escape and ensure there would be no getting away this time.

Gilda, Red Heart, and Lightning Dust crept over as close as they could manage, being careful not to be sighted by the camera crew or Spitfire and her Firebolts, Gilda's scanning her surroundings with all of her senses for any possibility of them being detected. Once in position, all three donned gas masks and prepared to move in.

Red Shirt finally pulled the trigger, sending the arrow through the window and into the wall directly behind Spitfire.

The psychopathic mare spun around, feeling the wind of the arrow as it passed her. “They're making their move, Firebolts!” she exclaimed...right as the arrow exploded and filled the cabin with smoke, causing everypony in it to cough.

“Now!” Gilda exclaimed, her group rushing the door.

Lightning Dust tried to open the door, but found it wouldn't budge. “It's locked, Captain!”

Gilda stepped forwards and grabbed the edges of the door. With a grunt of effort, she tore the door straight off and threw it aside. “Not anymore.”

The group charged into the smoke, Gilda relying mainly on her hearing to guide them. She noted the four hostages had four Firebolts guarding them. Using claw signs, she directed Red Heart and Lightning Dust, who nodded without question. The two each ambushed one of the guards, Lightning Dust producing and extending a collapsible baton held in her mouth and smacking one in the head with it, a spark of electricity being emitted. Red Heart bucked her target between the hind legs, doubling him over before smacking him in the side of the head with the stock of her crossbow (held in her mouth) to knock him out.

One of the Firebolts noticed Gilda and took a swing at her with a sword, but she blocked with her shield, giving the second a kick to the stomach with her hind legs enough force to send him slamming into the wall. She followed through by pushing the first enemy's sword back to knock him off balance before putting her other three legs firmly on the ground to put more force into swinging the shield in a bash that sent him flying backwards into the wall and knocked him out cold.

The trio threw the hostages (Gilda taking two) over their backs and rushed the other side door, Gilda kicking it open with a mule kick.

Her eyes picked up an orange glow seconds before her allies did. She spun around, placing her shield between her group and a cascade of fire and flame heading their way. The enchanted shield that could withstand assaults from the Princesses themselves held and sent the flames parting harmlessly to the sides.

“I thought Spitfire's fire powers were gone!” Red Heart exclaimed in shock.

“They are,” Gilda replied, watching Spitfire rear up on her hind legs with the two devices on her hooves pointing their direction, flames still burning at their tips. “She's just trying to pretend they aren't.”

Spitfire and Gilda glared at one another, eyes meeting like lightning cracking.

+++


Rainbow Crash cried out in pain as she was knocked to the clouds, nose bloodied. Spitfire loomed over her.

“Who are you trying to fool, Rainbow Crash? You think you're going to ever be able to do anything? You're never gonna get anywhere in school because you're too stupid! You're never going to get anywhere flying because you're a klutz! You're never going to make it in the guard because you're too soft!” the fiery maned filly mocked, kicking Rainbow Dash in the ribs again and leaving her coughing on the ground. From her personal life to her grades to races, Spitfire had devoted every waking moment to destroying what she saw as a threat to her superiority. “You're nothing but a loser and that's all you ever will be!”

Gilda and Fluttershy watched from a distance, having just arrived moments earlier. “...We need to do something, Shy.”

Fluttershy trembled, hiding behind her mane. “But Spitfire will turn on us...She'll be so mad...”

Gilda gave an angry glare. “But if we don't do anything, she's going to keep hurting Rainbow Dash.”

“But...”

“Do you care about her or not?” Gilda held out her claw to her friend. “She needs us.”

Fluttershy paused for a moment...then slowly reached out her hoof to take the griffon's claw.

“Come on, Rainbow CRASH, if you can't even fly two feet without crashing and burning how do you expect to be a great flier?” yelled Spitfire, Rainbow curled up on the ground crying. The cyan pegasus desperately tried to get up and fly again, but Spitfire snagged her tail in her mouth, sending her head over hooves into a cloud. “Hehe, well you got a few more feet that time.” The fiery pegasus then looked over at the two and gave a sadistic, chilling glare. Rainbow looked to her two friends, desperate for help.

Fluttershy pulled her hoof back. Gilda face fell in disappointment and betrayal. Rainbow Dash's eyes seemed to dull a little looking at Fluttershy. Spitfire promptly gave a brutal stomp to her wing, causing her to cry out in agony.

Gilda spread her wings and flew over, landing between Rainbow Dash and Spitfire.

The older filly gave a chuckle. “Seriously? Miss can't fly five feet without wheezing is standing up to ME? You got a death wish?”

“I've got a friend...” Gilda replied. 'I don't need to beat her...even if it'd be bucking satisfying to punch her in the face! Hold yourself back Gilda, remember what Grandpa Gruff said...'

To call it a fight would be generous. Spitfire was one of their class's star athletes, Gilda was a sickly little griffon who was only even here in hopes Cloudsdale's cleaner air would do her good and wasn't even entertaining the thought of fighting back, knowing she didn't need to.

Spitfire headbutted Gilda in the face, knocking her to the ground and bloodying her beak. The griffon groaned in pain, already bruised up and one eye blacked. Spitfire tried to turn her attention back to Rainbow Dash...only for Gilda to push herself back up, wheezing and struggling.

“You just don't know when to give up, do you?” Spitfire asked, growling in anger.

“...I can do this all day...” Gilda replied, right before being bucked back to the clouds. She then looked past Spitfire, then smirked. “...But I don't have to...”

“What the...” Spitfire's eyes went wide as the coach landed next to the trio of children. The adult looked down on Spitfire standing over two beaten up classmates with their blood on her hooves. Words cannot describe the rage in the fiery pegasus' eyes in that moment.

“T-Thanks Gilda...” Rainbow said weakly. “But...I didn't deserve it...”

“...You're my friend, Rainbow, you don't NEED to deserve it,” Gilda replied, the Griffon smiling...then giving a betrayed, disappointed look at Fluttershy, who was still watching from a safe distance.
+++
“Well, well, well, long time no see, you mutant freak,” said Spitfire, giving a smug smirk. “I was expecting a big goodie to show up and turn more eyes on me...which is why I prepared a bit of a surprise.”

The former Herald of Celestia pressed her hoof down on the button on her foreleg weapons, beginning a timer. “You've got 60 seconds, freak! Then this whole thing blows...”

Gilda gasped as Spitfire, Soarin', Fleetfoot, and the remaining conscious Firebolts flew for it. She noted the villain HADN'T bothered to pick up her unconscious allies. She didn't hesitate to pick up the helpless grunts, seeming to not struggle despite carrying them in addition to the two hostages she'd already picked up.

As they cleared the area, Bulk Biceps suddenly flew out from hiding, giving Soarin' and Fleetfoot a double clothesline, preventing them from escaping. “You're not going anywhere ruffians!”

Spitfire merely continued flying away with her remaining minions. Bulk tried to chase them, but Soarin' bucked him from behind, beginning a battle.

Gilda, Red Heart, and Lightning Dust got the hostages to safety and Gilda put hers down, careful not to harm them.

“Ma'am, if that bomb goes off, the rain clouds will be destroyed,” Lightning Dust explained, looking back to the transport.

Gilda turned back to the carrier...then in the direction Spitfire had flown away in... finally, her eyes went to the watching news media and crowd, who were decidedly too close for comfort. She instantly spread her wings. “Clouds are replaceable, ponies aren't! Get those civilians out of here!”

“Ma'am, yes, ma'am!”

The two flew as fast as their wings could carry them (Gilda having a lead) and landed in front of the crowd. “Run! There's a bomb!”

As they helped the crowd get to safety, the timer hit zero and the transport erupted into a fire ball.
+++
“Sorry...” Rainbow Crash, now an adult pony, said, prowling next to an adult Gilda with her head down. The griffon...was not as muscular and well-built as she would one day be. She was skinny, looking somewhat sickly still. Her chest still felt tight and she still wheezed.

“It's fine, Rainbow...” Gilda replied, patting the downtrodden pegasus on the back.

“You and Fluttershy got me a job interview and I...” the cyan pegasus replied, looking like a beaten puppy.

“Rainbow, you couldn't have known that closet was full of bottled lightning,” the griffon replied as they came up on the simple rented building that Rainbow called home. It wasn't much, just a little shack really. But it had been the pegasus' home for years now, even if Fluttershy had had to seduce the owner into renting it out for chump change. It at least gave the broken pegasus SOMETHING. “Besides, you and I both know that all Fluttershy did was bat her eyelashes at a stallion, it wasn't that hard.”

“...You're not mad at me?”

“I was when it happened, but then I realized that being mad at you wouldn't solve anything,” Gilda replied, putting a wing over her back. “I never stay mad longer than I need to.”

“...Thanks Gilda...I don't deserve a friend like you,” Rainbow Crash replied, still looking down.

“I'm your friend, you don't NEED to deserve it. Besides, I'm not THAT good of a friend.”

“But you are! ...You and Fluttershy actually put up with me...”

“More we put up with what that crooked witch let's Spitfire get away with...” Gilda growled, referring to Spitfire's mother; a high ranking member of Equestria's military...and had a habit of getting the law in Cloudsdale to look the other way from her daughter's activities.

“N-No! That's not it. I totally haven't seen Spitfire in years! She's leaving me alone now!” the broken pegasus replied, looking around in near paranoia, like just that conversation alone might get someone hurt. Gilda noticed the bruises on her friend she was trying to hide. “I just...sometimes mess up is all...”

Gilda prepared to say something...when suddenly the sun above turned a menacing blood red and a beam of solar fire came plunging down, causing a massive explosion at the nearby Weather Factory, sending Cloudsdale into a panic and turmoil. “What?!”

Rainbow Crash stepped back. “B-But we're supposed to be safe here...aren't we?”

“Yeah, the shield the unicorns are putting up is supposed to protect us,” Gilda replied, taking a step back in horror. She then grabbed Rainbow and dove to the clouds as a fireball fell from the sky, slamming into the clouds with a huge explosion.

“Well well well...”

The two looked up in shock at the fires that were burning hot enough to evaporate the clouds around them. A figure trotted out of them, fire burning on her body without harming her, her iris glowing like fragments of the sun itself, fiery mane turning into literal solar flames.

“Rainbow Crash and the sick little snitch from Griffonstone.”

“S-Spitfire?” Gilda asked as Rainbow Crash whimpered and hid behind her, looking absolutely terrified.

“That's CAPTAIN Spitfire to you two,” Spitfire replied, holding up a hoof and letting fire burn around it. “New boss made me captain of her elites in exchange for beating up a few important unicorns. Even got a sweet upgrade outta the deal.”

A look of slow realization came to Gilda's face before transitioning into pure horror. “You're working for Celestia?!”

“Yeah, I am,” Spitfire replied, giving a smug smirk. “History is written by the winners, after all. Thought it'd be a good idea to jump ship to the winning team so I'll have a place in the new books.”

“Traitor...” Gilda snarled in absolute fury, clinching her shaking claw. “You're a sick bucker, you know that?!”

“At least you'll never forget the day this 'sick bucker' made a city fall,” Spitfire replied, as if that were a great accolade. Another plasma burst came down from the sun, causing what remained of the Weather Factory to explode. “No pony will. Captain Spitfire, Herald of Celestia! That has a great ring to it, doesn't it?”

The fiery pegasus finally turned to Rainbow Crash's home, getting a sadistic look. “Hey, is that your house, Rainbow Crash? Tsk, looks so cold.” Spitfire held up her hooves and pillars of flame erupted from both of them. “Maybe I should heat it up a little bit.”

Rainbow Crash's eyes widened. “NO!”

Spitfire threw her legs forwards, intense flames streaming forwards and striking the humble cloud structure with enough power to cause an explosion, industrial clouds evaporating on impact.

Rainbow Crash sunk to her hunches as she watched her house implode, fires evaporating it to nothing as Spitfire laughed, looking at her with a murderous glare.

Gilda saw red, seeing her best friend's home in ruin...and something just...break in Rainbow's eyes...Rainbow had gone practically catatonic. The smoke reached them blown by the wind and Gilda began coughing and hacking, her breathing quickly becoming labored.

“Well what do you know, looks like she finally realized how worthless she really is and gave up, took her long enough,” Spitfire mocked.

Another pillar of plasma slammed down, this time blasting through another building.

Gilda looked between the now superpowered Spitfire...a mare she hadn't been able to lay a finger on as a normal pegasus and when she wasn't on the verge of an asthma attack...and then to her catatonic friend in the middle of a disaster zone.

The griffon threw Rainbow Crash over her back and took off as fast as her sickly body could carry her, trying her best to keep her breathing paced enough to not succumb to the smoke in the air.

“Haha! Yeah, that's right, run you little coward!” Spitfire yelled, standing among flames as fire continued to rain down on the city. “Run and remember the day Cloudsdale fell!”

+++

Gilda spun around and flew up, using her shield to knock away pieces of flaming rubble falling towards the civilians with surprising strength, not letting a single piece get through. She'd have preferred to have all three other legs on the ground for blocking stuff like this, but beggars can't be choosers.

When the smoke and flames cleared, Gilda lowered her shield as the ponies cheered. “Dust, help Biceps with Soarin' and Fleetfoot!” she called. “I'll handle Spitfire!”

“Ma'am, are you sure?” the turquoise pegasus questioned, looking slightly concerned.

Gilda nodded. “I'm the only one fast enough to catch her with her head start, the rest of you need to focus on taking down Soarin' and Echo, then handling damage control.”

With that, the griffon spread her wings and took off. Once in the air, she sniffed, her nostrils picking up Spitfire's scent. “There you are...”

The Captain of the Royal Guard flew so fast that she looked like a blur to an outside observer. Soon enough, a cluster of orange dots appeared in the distance, slowly growing closer and closer until Spitfire and the remaining Firebolts came fully into view.

The Firebolt leader looked back and her eyes widened beneath her lenses. She glared to her hired guns. “Go stop her!”

The four remaining Firebolts nodded and broke off formation, flying back at Gilda. The griffon didn't stop her flight, instead quickly diving down and swinging back up, slamming shoulder first into the stomach of the first one to reach her, knocking the wind out of him then quickly flying above him and elbowing him in the back of the head hard enough to send him falling to the ground below. Two more came at her from both sides. She reacted quickly, sidestepping a strike while grabbing her attacker's foreleg and wrenching it while swinging back with her shield using her other front leg and bashing the other one in the face to counter her charge. The Captain of the Royal Guard followed up by picking up the one who's arm she'd wrenched overhead and throwing him into his partner with enough force to knock both of them out. The final one came flying at Gilda from behind with a stab from a knife held in her mouth, requiring the griffon to spin around and block the Firebolt's charge with her shield before pushing her back with it and giving her a hard kick to the stomach with both her hind legs (being mindful not to eviscerate the mare with her sharp hind claws). The force of the impact sent the female Firebolt flying back and slamming hard into a tree below. She groaned, sliding unconscious to the ground.

Gilda looked in the direction of the retreating Spitfire...then paused to take out a beacon and throw it down to remember where the Firebolts she'd just knocked out for later retrieval before continuing her pursuit.

+++

“Darn it, I can't believe I didn't get in AGAIN,” Gilda muttered, sitting on a couch at a fancy mansion.

“Well, you are very sickly, Gilda,” replied a greyish aquamarine pegasus stallion with a golden mane and a feather on the wind for his cutie mark. “Medicine can only do so much.”

“Yeah, tell me about it...thanks for letting me crash here while I try to get inta the guard, Zephyr Breeze” Gilda replied, giving a smile.

“Oh, it's no problem, any friend of my sister's is a friend of mine,” replied Zephyr, then looked a bit peeved. “Even if she's a bit of a...well...”

“I know...Not everypony can be a big entrepreneur and philanthropist,” Gilda replied, trying to smooth things over a bit, even if she couldn't hide a bit of bitterness towards Fluttershy. Zephyr had all the motivation his younger sister lacked, and had made the most of it.

“Yes, but she could at least TRY,” the stallion replied. “Enough about her. You're welcome to stay here...but I wish Rainbow Dash would stay here, the idea of her being out there alone...”

“Yeah...but I think she's a bit scared to settle down anywhere...what with HER still out there...especially considering...you know...”

Zephyr blushed a little bit. “Well, she is stronger than she gives herself credit for...most ponies may have tried to...take an easy way out by now...”

“Yeah...” the griffon replied. “She is...”

Zephyr looked at a watch. “Oh, I'm sorry, I have a meeting to get to, make yourself at home.”

Gilda nodded, giving a wave as the pegasus headed off...then gave an annoyed sigh and fell on the couch on her back. “...Stupid smog poisoning, I just want to be a bucking royal guard, is that too much for life to let me have? ...”

She started to close her eyes, trying to get some sleep.

“Excuse me, Miss Gilda?”

Gilda's eyes shot open and she looked over to see a light purple unicorn with a curly purple mane atop her head. Her cutie Mark a purple star in front of a wisp of green magic. “You're Gilda, correct?”

“Yeah, that's me,” the griffon replied, getting back up.

“My name is Starlight Glimmer, and I was here to talk to Zephyr about this community I have plans for,” the unicorn replied in a polite tone. “And he told me about your problem...you're from Griffonstone, correct?”

Gilda nodded. “Yeah...he tell you that?”

“No, it's kind of obvious from your condition,” Starlight replied, pointing to her ears. “Ponies have sensitive ears, I can hear your labored breathing from here.”

Gilda gave a sad chuckle, scooting over so Starlight could sit down. “Yeah...some big shots noticed how advanced Equestria was getting and decided 'the proud kingdom of Griffonstone' had to catch up to those 'pathetic ponies.' Next thing you know we've got an 'industrial revolution' going on and smog as thick as pea soup...”

“And an entire generation of griffon chicks growing up with breathing problems and immune system disorders from poisoning,” the unicorn replied, shaking her head. “It's a sad situation...but I may be able to help you.”

Gilda blinked. “Really?”

“My specialty is helping ponies, and other races obviously, reach their true potential,” Starlight replied, flexing a little bit and showing her body was a pretty good example of unicorn physical development and she practiced what she preached. “My ultimate goal is a world where everypony has reached that mountain top and are all equal, so no pony can look down on anypony else. That naturally includes those who are sickly or weak, and I've picked up a few immune system boosting techniques in my travels. You might be a perfect candidate for the program I'm trying to develop to do just that.”

The griffon looked down thoughtfully, putting a claw to her chest and feeling the slight wheeze in her lungs. “...So...if this works, I can be a royal guard?”

“Hopefully. I can't make promises, but we should at least give you a better standing of living.”

“...Then I guess I can give it a shot...then maybe I can take Spitfire down and put her behind bars where that psychopath belongs. Besides, if Zephyr trusts you, I think I can.”

“Want to kick her flank to get revenge for Cloudsdale?” Starlight questioned, in a neutral fashion, seeming good at hiding her emotions.

“Nah...That does make me steamed, but...” Gilda reached into a bag next to the couch and pulled out a picture of herself, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Crash in flight camp. “...She's been torturing my best friend since she was a filly...really messed her up bad...I think at this point the only way the poor girl will ever have any peace is if Spitfire can't hurt her ever again...or anypony for that matter.”

+++

Gilda closed the gap between her and Spitfire quickly, the former Herald of Celestia snarling before spinning around and letting loose a torrent of flame from her wrist devices.

The Griffon did a roll out of the way of the strike, then went into a circular flight path as the psychotic mare continued trying to roast her, feeling the heat of the flames not that far from her hindquarters. Finally, the Captain of the Royal Guard flew at Spitfire...only for it to be a feint when the griffon flew straight up over the flames and tackled Spitfire from above, slamming both into a mountain side. The two rolled down hill for a few moments before being tossed off of one another and rolling to their hooves and paws respectively.

The sky grew dark on the horizon, like a storm was brewing, as Gilda pulled her spear off her back and the flames on the devices on Spitfire's forelegs ignited.

“...Why are you doing this, Spitfire?” Gilda questioned. “Celestia's not behind you anymore, the other Firebolts at least decided to flee the country or got arrested. What's your deal?”

Spitfire glared. “What's my deal? Simple. I can't be loved as a hero like YOU, so I'll just be feared as a villain. I end up with everypony knowing my name either way.”

“And who's fault is THAT?” Gilda questioned, a cold fury in her eyes. “YOU decided to destroy our hometown. YOU decided to side with her. What else did you expect to happen?”

“For one, I expected Celestia to reward loyalty, not take my bucking powers away!” Spitfire spat back, looking up at the sun in anger. “What the buck is wrong with her. She goes from praising me left and right, rightfully so I might add, to sending the guard after me!”

“...Nothing. She just knows you,” the griffon replied, the two circling one another.

The Blazing Terror glared...then smirked. “...What about YOU? What's YOUR deal? Coming all this way for little old me. You must really hate me, don't you?”

“I want to see you behind bars for what you've done, do I NEED another reason?” Gilda questioned, not taking that bait.

“Oh, I think the reason is simple: you hate me...or does Rainbow Crash mean nothing to ya?”

Gilda narrowed her eyes. “...Her name's Rainbow DASH.”

Spitfire suddenly snorted air out her nose, then reared up and flapped her wings so she could put her forelegs up, sending a blast of fire at Gilda, who blocked with her shield. She then dashed across the ground on all fours, the ground behind her being lit ablaze by Spitfire's assault. “I wonder what Rainbow Crash is going to think when she finds out her only friend got barbecued!”

Gilda dove behind a log as the fire washed over it, her tail tip getting singed a bit. “...Good thing she won't.”

As Spitfire stopped firing to see the damage, Gilda drove her claws into the side of the log and lifted with a grunt. The still burning log was hoisted over her head before she threw it straight at Spitfire, forcing the mare to dive out of the way.

Gilda rushed her, shield ready, and made several trusts with her spear from the side of it aimed at the wings or legs, using her own wings for lift when she needed both front paws free. Spitfire dodged them, backing up to keep distance but receiving a thin cut on her leg from a close call. The pegasus grabbed something off her belt with her mouth and dropped it before flying back. The griffon's eyes went wide and she flew back, putting her shield in front of her as a grenade went off. While her shield absorbed the brunt of the explosion, she was still launched back and slammed into a tree by it. As the smoke cleared, Gilda barely managed to leap out of a torrent of flames.

“Come on, you mutant freak, I know you can do better than that!” Spitfire spat, unleashing another stream of fire, the dry forest around them now showing the beginnings of a forest fire.

+++
“29...30!” Gilda counted, putting the weights she was lifting back up on the rung, wheezing and coughing, but looking considerably less scrawny. She got up, standing in a simple building built in the middle of nowhere, the first building of Starlight's 'Our Town' project.

Starlight floated her a bowl of herbs to inhale the scent of, soothing her lungs a bit and helping her breathing. The unicorn was reading through a book on Zebra alchemy. “That's very good, Gilda, you've improved by at least thirty percent since we've started,” the mare praised genuinely.

Gilda finally caught her breath. “Thanks...I'm doing my best.”

“And I will say, you have an impeccable sense of how far your body can go,” the teacher replied, giving a reassuring smile.

“Kinda' comes with the territory of being a fragile griffon most of your life,” the Griffonstone native replied. “I've had no choice BUT to learn how to pace myself...not to mention, ya know, griffon. Our pride and greed has gotten us in a lot of trouble over the years, so my Grandpa Gruff always taught me to practice restraint in...well, everything.”

Starlight nodded. “True, and it is good advice...but while your physical strength and conditioning is increasing quite nicely, there is the matter of your damaged immune system. The potions and mixtures can only do so much...”

“Anything we can do 'bout that?” Gilda questioned.

The mare looked hesitant to respond. “Well...there is ONE thing I've found, in a book from about a thousand years ago...” she explained, turning to a bookshelf and producing a book with a the image of a stallion with a long beard and star emblazoned wizard hat on the cover. “It came from the same place much of our knowledge of magic originated...There's a spell that's designed to temporarily boost the immune system for creatures who have weakened ones, in hopes the boost will help it begin repairing itself...but...”

“But?”

Starlight gave a bit of a sheepish look. “I've never done it, and it requires a large amount of magic, to the point most medical ponies can't perform it...we could try, but I can't promise it will work...”

Gilda looked at the book...then to the picture of herself, Rainbow, and Fluttershy sitting on a shelf nearby. “...I trust ya. Let's give it a shot.”

+++

“Uh, Starlight...” said Gilda, as a wild magic storm Celestia had set loose raged above their humble building. “Are you sure we should be doing this during a wild storm?”

Starlight looked over the book one more time. “Relax, I reinforced the walls myself and there's no possible way this spell will explode. Besides, the ambient magic a wild storm puts into the air gives me more to draw from...”

“Alright...if you're sure.”

The teacher took a deep breath, steadying herself. “Okay, I think we're all set...”

The griffon steadied herself as well. “Yeah...go for it...”

Starlight's horn lit up turquoises and built up magic. She lowered her head and fired a sparkling beam onto Gilda, surrounding her in a bright aura.

Gilda's eyes widened, her body language suddenly becoming more energetic. “Whoa, I feel like I just drank three cups of coffee!”

“That's supposed to happen!” Starlight squeaked out, sweating and struggling as rain poured and thunder roared in the background. “I AM supercharging a part of your biology at the moment!”

Gilda blinked, feeling her chest as the magic continued soaking into her. “Hey...Hey my chest isn't tight anymore! I think it's working!”

“Good! We're almost done!” Starlight fell to her knees, pumping more and more magic into it. There was a reason this spell wasn't routine medical procedure. “Just another moment!”

One moment can change history.

A lightning bolt slammed down, striking straight through the ceiling and into the floor behind Starlight, so close her tail was singed and burned, the rain thankfully quickly putting out the flames it started.

The mare jumped in surprise and pain...her magic sparking brightly, then turning into an extremely powerful glow. Her eyes began to glow a bright white as she and Gilda both floated into the air.

Gilda cringed. “Gah! What's happening?!”

“I DON'T KNOW!” Starlight screamed in panic, eyes still glowing as the two of them floated in a bright, powerful turquoise magic. “I CAN'T STOP!”

Gilda screamed, muscles and body pulsing with magic...before a symbol emerged from her chest. It looked similar to a pony's Cutie Mark, taking the form of a golden shield with a trio of scratches over it. The magic seemed to implode into that point, causing it to erupt into a powerful golden glow that filled out the entire room to the point of blinding them both.

When the brilliant light finally cleared, Starlight groaned, getting back to her hooves and shaking herself off...then gasping. “Gilda! Are you alright?!” she screamed, running over. “Please...be...okay...”

Gilda groaned, getting back to her paws as smoke cleared from the room. “What was that?”

“Gilda...you're...you're...”

Starlight was speechless, so she simply summoned a mirror with her magic. Gilda looked at what she saw in shock. Gone was the scrawny, sickly griffon. In her place was a lean, muscular, and powerful looking one in peak health. Gilda felt her front legs, feeling compact, powerful muscles where modest ones just beginning to bulk up had once been. She felt her chest and noticed her breathing was smooth and steady. For the first time in her entire life...she felt healthy.
[
The Griffon slowly stood up...and her claw went straight through the floorboards. She carefully put her other one down, making an effort to use no more strength than needed. “What...what happened to me?”
+++

Gilda ducked behind a tree as another torrent of fire. “Come out, come out wherever you are!” Spitfire yelled. “I thought you were supposed to be Equestria's best warrior, aren't ya?!”

The griffon peaked out, carefully planning out her next move. As Spitfire let loose another blast of flames, Gilda jumped out, ducking and rolling through to a kneeling position, her spear held ready to throw. Taking a moment to aim, she threw it with precision aim. Spitfire's flames cut out right as the spear tore through the device on her right foreleg and reduced it to scrap, sparks flying.

Gilda charged forwards before she could recover and punched the mare right in the face (while she was sorely tempted to put her talons to good use, she wouldn't give Spitfire the satisfaction). “Nah, I'm just a hen from Griffonstone,” she answered.

Spitfire snarled, then twisted her other foreleg, causing a blade to extend from her left device and took a swing at Gilda, who blocked with her shield and pushed back, throwing a punch in return. The psychopath managed to dodge and threw a strike with her other front leg, the ravaged machinery still being good for weight and blunt force. Gilda ducked under it and punched Spitfire in the ribs before blocking a counter slash with the blade.

Spitfire flapped her wings to gain lift and kicked forwards with her hind legs, forcing Gilda's shield up to block. As she flipped back around, Spitfire swung her blade low. Gilda jumped up to evade and tried to bring her shield down on Spitfire, but the mare just barely managed to slide between her legs to avoid and spun back around with another slash.

Gilda managed to jump back, getting a cut on her left front leg. She grunted and put her shield back between the two of them just in time to block a blast of fire as Spitfire got a little distance.

“Come on, freak. Don't you want to get me? Or do I have to go burn down Rainbow Crash's OTHER house with all her friends in it to get you to take me seriously?!” Spitfire asked.

Gilda glared, charging forwards with her shield, the single stream of flame not having a big enough splash to prevent it. She slammed her shield right into Spitfire's face and knocked her on her back. Gilda pulled her shield back with intent to slam it down on Spitfire's face, only to suddenly have to block with her shield to prevent herself from getting slashed with the madmare's blade. Spitfire took advantage and kicked out with her hind legs, striking Gilda between her hind legs. The griffon groaned, doubling over in pain.

“Most girls forget how much that hurts. Dirty, I know. But unlike you, I'm NOT a freak,” Spitfire replied, smacked her hard in the head with the wreckage of her right leg device, leaving a few lacerations from twisted metal, and kicking her shield away. She kicked her several more times while she had the advantaged before moving in and stabbing at her repeatedly. The stunned griffon had to dodge the blade, several times, while trying to recover.

Spitfire slammed her free hoof down on Gilda's throat and pulled back her blade to try and stab her, the two now surrounded by a roaring forest fire from years of dried wood and dead trees. “I'm going to enjoy seeing the look on Rainbow Crash's face when I drop your bloody head right in front of her! No pony is ever gonna forget me after THAT!”
+++
“499...500...” Gilda lifted the same weight she'd previously been left wheezing and struggling to lift thirty times. She didn't even seem winded.

“It's just as I thought,” Starlight replied, looking at notes from several experiments and tests. “...It appears my magic surge supercharged the spell and it may have...gone horribly right.”

“Meaning?” Gilda asked, putting the weights back on the rack with no effort.

“Meaning instead of a 'temporarily boost your immune system' spell, it turned into a 'permanently boost everything to its highest possible level' spell,” Starlight replied, seeming genuinely excited. “You're now an example of a griffon at peak ability. Strength, speed, agility, reaction time, senses, everything. This is amazing...”

“Can you replicate it?” Gilda asked, sitting up. “Sounds like something Equestria could really use right now...”

Starlight frowned. “Sadly no, I had a magic surge from that lightning bolt. I have no idea what that changed in the spell to make this happen because it had gone wild...but that doesn't mean I can't replicate the results!” the purple unicorn said, her eyes widening in realization and excitement.

Gilda raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

“You're not mutated, you're not altered...you're just the peak physical example of what your species is capable of...and that means that there's no reason a normal griffon couldn't one day reach this level with the proper training,” the unicorn explained, like she'd just been handed the holy grail. “You're proof of what I want to do: the level I believed everypony can reach! You're proof of it!”

The griffon gave a smile, stretching her new body. “Guess your right...Wish you luck with that.”

Starlight finally calmed down a bit and looked to her. “...So...what are you going to do now?”

Gilda stood up and looked to her picture, which had thankfully survived the lightning strike. “Same thing I wanted to do from the start. Enter the Royal Guard, beat Spitfire, and put her behind bars...then Rainbow Dash and everypony else in Equestria can finally rest.”

“...Not to get back on the ponies that made fun of you before?”

“Nah...not much point, is there? Thing they made fun of me for, is long gone now...”

“...Then perhaps I can be of more assistance...after all, I do know some ponies that know a lot about hoof to hoof combat. You've got the physical side...perhaps I can help finish up the mental and skill side of it too?”

“...Yeah, that sounds good to me.”
+++

Gilda had a split second to react...and quickly freed one of her front legs, grabbing Spitfire's blade foreleg and stopping it an inch from her face. She inhaled and let out an ear piercing roar, stunning Spitfire and leaving her ears ringing. The Captain of the Royal Guard quickly brought up her other leg and slammed the elbow into the side of the one pinning her down to free herself.

Forcing herself up and completely overpowering the stunned Spitfire, she squeezed hard on the mare's weapon. Spitfire screamed in pain as her device was shattered to bits and the bone of her foreleg cracked, a bone snapping. Spitfire kicked her off with her hind legs and tried to take flight before the griffon recover...only for the blackening sky to erupt in lightning and rain. Spitfire fell back from a lightning bolt, allowing her opponent to grab her by the tail and pull her back. Gilda delivered several rapid blows to her chest and face, staggering her backwards before jumping up and flooring her with double kick from her hind legs.

Gilda flew over and picked up her spear. She landed on Spitfire, spear aimed at the mare's head. “It's over...”

Spitfire spat out a little blood, nose bloodied, and chuckled. “Go ahead...do it...I destroyed your home...ruined your friend's life...made her a mess...go on. Do it, Miss Temperance...”

Gilda glared down at her with hatred and anger in her eyes...then simply lowered her spear. “...I admit it...I hate you...I hate everything you've done to Rainbow...I think you deserve to rot in Tartarus...But that ain't me and killing you now wouldn't solve a dang thing...”

Spitfire stared in blind shock for a few moments before Gilda gave her one last punch to the face and knocked her out cold.

“Besides, you'd like the fame of making me slip up and kill somepony, wouldn't you?...You're under arrest...” The griffon looked up at the sky and the rain that was now putting out the forest fire. She held out a claw, letting the rain land on it. “Where did this storm come from?”


“You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law,” Lightning Dust told Fleetfoot and Soarin', the two Firebolt lieutenants in cuffs and beaten up.

Bulk Biceps gave Red Shirt a pat on the back. “Good work, rookie. They'd have gotten away without that net gun.”

Red Shirt smirked. “Sniping isn't my special talent, but I don't miss a shot when it's lined up.”

“What IS your talent anyway?” Red Heart asked, tending to a knife wound on Lightning Dust's shoulder.

“Knitting shirts.”

“Oh...”

“Good job, team,” said a voice. The group looked up and cheered as Gilda landed, dropping Spitfire and the other Firebolts she'd defeated before on the ground, all in cuffs, wings bound.

“Way to go, Captain!” Red Heart said, the group giving her a salute, the others following suit.

“You guys did your part too...” Gilda replied, giving a smirk...and looking down at Spitfire. “...Thanks to us, this last nightmare is finished...”

The crowd returned, surrounding them and applauding loudly despite the storm above...but Gilda's thoughts were decidedly elsewhere...


In the aftermath of Nightmare Spotlight's defeat...Gilda approached Rainbow Crash. “Rainbow?”

“Oh! Hey Gilda...I...Did I help this time?”

Gilda gave a warm smile and hugged her. “Of course you did...thanks, Rainbow...”

Rainbow Dash seemed to blush. “...It...it feels weird to...actually...”

“Well you definitely did...” Gilda answered. “...Oh, and Rainbow?”

“Yeah?”

“I got her.”

Rainbow Crash's eyes widened in surprise. “G-Got her?”

“Spitfire...I got her. She's behind bars...she'll never hurt you again,” Gilda said in the most warm, reassuring tone she could. “You're safe now.”

Rainbow Crash was stunned for a few moments...looking like a person waking up from a nightmare. “W-What?”

“Spitfire's locked up. I kicked her flank myself and put her there...it's over, Rainbow.”

Slowly, the cyan pegasus' eyes filled with tears and she hugged Gilda, almost going limp like she'd been carrying a tremendous weight for years and only now got rid of it. “...T-Thank y-you...” she practically sobbed.

Gilda returned her hug, supporting her. Holding her up. Letting her just let it out. A feeling of...completeness fell over the Griffon...relief over both. “It's what friends are for, Rainbow Dash...I'm just glad this nightmare is over for you.”


The cloaked pony closed the book.

“And that was the story of Gilda the Warrior of Temperance. The one who went from humble beginnings to become Equestria's greatest warrior. Who brought down the remnant of Celestia's evil empire...and who did it all for a friend...

But this is but one story of many...will you stay and hear the next one?”