• Published 20th Jun 2016
  • 2,629 Views, 43 Comments

Dashie Wright: Competent Co-Counsel - Terabyte West



After Phoenix's first case, he finds a little filly in his bedroom. Things only get crazier.

  • ...
1
 43
 2,629

Cornered

April May was escorted out of the courtroom by a few of the guards. After a few hours of questioning that occurred while the trial was still going on, it was revealed that she was using the wiretap to "gather dirt", as the one playing bad cop put it. While she was involved in the murder, future evidence provided she did not commit it. At this point, her entire testimony was shortened to, 'The victim did not move while backed up against the window.'


His Honor was sweating and his arm cramped from having to bang the gavel so much. He proceeded to call a 15-minute break so Edgeworth could prepare Redd White, and Phoenix, Rainbow, and Maya could gather their bearings.

"We already know that White murdered Mia," Rainbow started. "what's next?" She asked, knowing the answer full well.

"You know what they say about politicians, businessmen, and lawyers," Maya began, chuckling. "You know they're going to lie when they open their mouths." The sound of a hand colliding with a forehead alerted them both to Phoenix.

"We need to find some way to involve him in the murder. Let's hope he's not the best at thinking on his feet." Phoenix alerted, Rainbow and Maya nodding in agreement.


September 7th, 2016

Courtroom No. 2

11:15 AM

The audience had been clamoring since the recess started, and it didn't seem they'd stop on their own time. Fortunately, his honor had a gavel, a podium, and finite patience.

"Court will now reconvene. Mr. Edgeworth, is Mr. White prepared to testify?" He asked Miles.

"Yes, your honor. I'll bring him up now." Edgeworth replied, Redd White walking in through the court's entryway, and setting himself up behind the podium. "Name and occupation." Edgeworth spat.

"Redd White, CEO of Bluecorp." He spat back. "I must say, Mr. Wrong," He began, speaking towards the defense's bench. "I'm disgustapalled at you murdering Ms. Fey."

"Save it for the testimony, buster." Rainbow returned.

Edgeworth nodded in response. "Ms. Dash is right. Can you please testify about what you witnessed in regards to Miss Fey's death?"

Witness Testimony

Murdercide

"I think it was 9:00... yeah. I was examinating some papers by the window with Miss May, and I remember some loud ruckus coming from across the street. I turned my gaze to the window and saw some long-haired lady being attacked by someone. I know that 'someone' was you, Mr. Lawyer. I remember that she ran off to a direction, and then you gave chase. That was about all I saw before I asked Miss May to dial up the cops."

Redd looked pretty pleased with himself at the testimony he gave, but Phoenix had one question that he couldn't hold in. "How were Ms. Dash and Ms. Fey involved?"

"You killed her, shouldn't you know?"

Classic, Rainbow snarked. treat all fault's like they're the complainer's. He's the pinnacle of management.

Cross-Examination

"I think it was 9:00... yeah. I was examinating some papers by the window with Miss May-"

"Hold it!" Rainbow stopped. "I find that kind of interesting. Nowhere in April May's testimony did she say anything about you."

"I can explain." Redd got out. "There was a mirror by the window closer to the foot of the bed. I was at the other window while Ms. May was taking a break to don her makeup."

Why does that make so much sense? Phoenix remarked. "You were saying...?"

"I remember some loud ruckus coming from across the street. I turned my gaze to the window and saw some long-haired lady being attacked by someone. I know that 'someone' was you, Mr. Lawyer. I remember that she ran off to a direction, and then you gave chase."

"Objection!" Phoenix bellowed, holding a transcript of April's testimony. "Your own secretary stated that the victim never moved after being cornered." Redd flinched, prompting the attorney to continue on. "It's either one or the other, Mr. White. Pick your poison."

"She... uh..." Redd stammered. "She ran to the left!"

"Poison selected." Rainbow droned. The direction you chose makes no sense. If she was running that way, she'd corner herself." She nudged her dad, notifying that he should take over for a bit.

"She's right. Why wouldn't she run to the right, the door, where it makes sense to flee to?!" He hollered, index finger outward towards Redd's sweat-drenched face. Redd wiped his face, and proceeded to snap his fingers.

"I got it! There was one more detail that I left out." He smiled.

Witness Testimony

Second Wind

"So, you cornered her against the window. She proceeded to run to her right, but then you thwacked her. She slumped, and you presumed her dead. Sometime later, she got up and ran to my right, probably to the aforementioned door. That was when I saw a multicolor blur tackle her, and likely finish her off."

"And what do you think that multicolored blur was?" His Honor inquired.

"That little filly sitting on the bench."

Cross-Examination

"So, you cornered her against the window. She proceeded to run to her right, but then you thwacked her. She slumped, and you presumed her dead. Sometime later, she got up and ran to my right, probably to the aforementioned door."

"Objection!" Rainbow and Phoenix chorused, each holding a copy of the autopsy report. "You want this one, Rainbow?" Phoenix asked, Rainbow nodding in response.

"According to Ms. Fey's autopsy, she died almost immediately. That's not the problem here. The problem is where it states she was only hit once. She never had any second wind!" She burst, wings flared.

"Maybe I just misinterpreted him whiffing?" Redd proposed. "I also remember hearing a glass light stand shatter before the entire debacle."

"Wait..." Rainbow stressed, dragging out a bag showing the shards of glass in her mouth. "How were you able to confirm these were shards of a light stand?"

"Maybe he was the one who placed the second wiretap in Ms. Fey's office?" Edgeworth proposed, White nodding.

"Mr. White!" His Honor burst. "Is this true?"

"Yes..." He sighed. "But I'll face any charges myself to put the real criminals in jail!" He proclaimed, glaring daggers, katanas, and all other kinds of sharp objects at Phoenix.

"Can you testify about that?" Edgeworth grumbled, looking distraught.

Witness Testimony

The Wiretap

"It was about a week before the murder. I entered the office to place the wiretap at Fey and Co. That was when I saw the stand."

"I'm not getting a read..." Rainbow and Phoenix thought.

"Phoenix~" A familiar voice sang from the defendant's chair. Phoenix turned around, not knowing what Maya was pulling. Or, rather, what Mia was pulling-wha?

Phoenix reacted as appropriately as one would expect someone to upon seeing a ghost. "Your Honor?" Rainbow asked. "Can we get a short recess until my daddy regains consciousness?"

The peanut gallery burst into laughter, Rainbow and Mia dragging out the spiky-haired attorney by his shins as His Honor nodded.


"... I swear, I saw Mia." Phoenix groaned, rubbing his head from collapsing unconscious.

"You did." Mia responded. "And I think I can help you with this. Have you ever heard of forensic research, Wright?"

"It... sounds familiar." Phoenix affirmed. "But I don't see what it has to do with this testimony."

"Look on the back of the slip of paper Redd wrote my name on." Mia said. "We accidentally left it in the court, so we're gonna have to go back."

Phoenix nodded, and all three returned to the courtroom. "I'd like to cross-examine the witness, Your Honor."

Cross-Examination

"It was about a week before the murder. I entered the office to place the wiretap at Fey and Co. That was when I saw the stand."

Phoenix and Rainbow, prompted by him finishing, proceeded to poke about the Court Record. Eventually, they found the slip of paper, crumpled up by all the other evidence on top of it. Upon acquiring it, Phoenix turned it around. "Hey..."

"Yeah?" Rainbow entered.

"This was written on a receipt... for a glass lamp... on September... 5th!"

"OBJECTION!"

Unknown to any of them, Mia had acquired a napkin and a marker from the defendant's lobby, and was quickly jotting something down.

"Mr. White. You said that it was a week ago you saw the glass stand, yes?" Rainbow began.

"Indeedy-do."

"I don't think so." Phoenix snarked. "The glass stand was bought on September 5th. You testified that you placed the wiretap a week ago. 5 days would seem like a pretty suspicious gap to forget about, don'tcha think?"

Redd fidgeted behind the stand. Mia folded the napkin into a paper airplane that unfolded in its flimsy state just as it reached Phoenix's hand. "I have with me a list of every single person you've blackmailed. Be it for murder, blackmailing, or anything of the sort, you're gonna be in federal prison for a good, long while."

"Objection!" Edgeworth interrupted. "How can you prove that list is a collection of blackmail victims, and not just a list of some random characters?"

"Most of these people I've seen in news clipping regarding White, public shaming, and other miscellaneous acts. Two people I have learned over this case are blackmailed are on this, too." Phoenix elaborated.

"And while we're at it, can we mention the assault charges? Daddy still has the bruise." Rainbow said, lifting up the attorney's shirt and jacket to his dismay.

"I admit it." Redd whimpered. "I killed Ms. Fey. Please, don't recite that list."

Author's Note:

I haven't addressed this, but for reference, Rainbow's press/presents are in italics, and Phoenix's are in bold. If they both object, both formats apply.