• Published 5th Jun 2016
  • 3,251 Views, 83 Comments

Flight of the Golden Eagle - A New World - Acacia Sgt



Shortly after its formation, a new nation faces a situation that did not saw coming after finding itself in a whole new world.

  • ...
4
 83
 3,251

Chapter 14 - Beliefs

Cape Sebastian, Former Oregon Country

Cape Sebastian, named after Spanish explorer Sebastián Vizcaíno, who explored the area in the early seventeenth century. Located not far from the Mexico-Oregon border, the disappearance of the rest of the world had left the cape as the now-island’s northwest most point. Indeed, the land got cut-off barely north of the cape, leaving a smooth and straight cliff-face extending eastward. It would not last, though, for erosion would eventually make it like the already existing cliffs around the cape. Although it would take long for that to happen. Other than that, for the area, sparsely populated as it was, not much had changed.

But it had reached that time of the year when the gray whales, the ones that leave early the waters of the Baja California peninsula, would reach the area as part of their migration north. A group composed mostly of males and the females that failed to get pregnant. Since time immemorial their kind have made the great journey throughout the coastline of North America every year, in both directions. This year, naturally, it all was going to change.

Had one been able to witness, they would’ve seen the whales starting to converge around the cape. Perhaps they did understand to a degree the new situation they found themselves in. Time would only tell if they would remain there, or swim further north, into the unknown. For them, at least.


West of Equestria

The delegation was on its way once more. The time for the princesses to bring forth the night drew near. Soon, it had come the time to once again stop, this time to rest for the night. A makeshift camp was being propped up, as the princesses moved the celestial bodies.

“… is that all?”

Starswirl was inside a tent set up for him. With him was the earth pony who had volunteered to be the target of his spell.

“Yes, lord Starswirl,” said pony replied.

Starswirl began to stroke his beard.

“That is an interesting development,” he said.

“I would need another volunteer tomorrow to see if the spell has consistency in its after effects. If so, then we would be able to skip many steps with our guests.”

“Would they want to have the spell cast on them, lord Starswirl?” the earth pony

“Conveying that is going to be one step we cannot skip,” was Starswirl’s reply.

“But we must have the spell cast, for both our sakes.”

“Well, I hope they don’t think otherwise before we actually can,” the pony said.

“I would not worry,” Starswirl commented.

“Anyway, I thank you for assistance… ah, I believe you have yet to tell me your name.”

“It’s Red Apple, sir,” the pony replied.

“Well, Red Apple, you are dismissed. Though I will want you to be present for my next testing tomorrow.”

“Yes, sir,” Red Apple bowed before leaving the tent.


March 20
Beach

Morning began not much different from yesterday. Inter-group gatherings happened once more as they ate, more this time around. The real difference, however, began shortly after.

The pegasi watched with interest as the humans began shifting things around their camp. Mainly taking what they used to sit down, and placing them in orderly rows, forming two columns with sufficient space between them. A few actual chairs and even a table were even brought from the ship, placed at one end, alongside a few crates and barrels. Whatever it was, it looked like a big deal, since practically every one of them were now on the beach, taking positions between the rows. From the ship emerged a small group, clothed in white robes. One of them had a more elaborate garb, predominately violet. They all carried various things with them, which were placed on the table and barrels.

All in all, it was a peculiar spectacle. The violet-clad man would speak up and go through various actions. He would make limb motions, read from a book, swing an object attached by a chain that expelled some sort of smoke, among other things. All this done with the aid of the other robed men, which could easily be assumed to be assistants. But what perhaps was the most peculiar thing he did was when he was presented a bowl, placed some sort of long, thin, object in it, and then shook it around. On himself, on the assembled crowd, and even on the land around them. As Keen Eyes would clarify, he was sprinkling water. For what purpose? Only they knew. The crowd for their part would also go through motions of their own. They’d sit down, rise, speak as well, but overall, they didn’t do as much in comparison.

It soon ran all its course. The crowd began to disperse, and things began to be carried back to either the camp or the ship. The pegasi who had decided to watch from afar too mostly left their positions.

“What was that about?” one of them said.

“Some sort of ceremony… or ritual?” another wondered.

“Looked that way, especially with those robes,” Scud commented.

“I was expecting something more exciting…” Thundershock said.

“But if so, then what was its purpose? Captain?” Thunderbolt turned to face Wing Shield, who was deep in thought.

“Hm, well, it was very sudden,” the captain replied.

“That’s another thing we would have to inquire about in the future. I can only guess that for all the preparations they did beforehand, it is supposed to be more elaborate, but they can’t afford it so far form their homeland.”

The pegasi looked at each other, not quite satisfied with the answer. Wing Shield sighed.

“It can’t be helped, there’s not a lot to work with,” he continued. “If it took until now to happen, it can’t be related to their arrival here or meeting us. Perhaps today is important for them, but we can’t ask them now. Perhaps once the princesses and Starswirl are here… which reminds me, we need to redouble our efforts from yesterday. They arrive tomorrow, so we must make haste.”

With that, he too departed from the spot.

“Well… anyone wants to guess?” Scud asked.

And thus, the remaining pegasi promptly began the conversation anew.


At the same time, some humans were having their own discussion.

“What did you think about the priest’s sermon?” Álvarez asked.

“Too long,” one man simply said.

“Well, it is our first Sunday here, in this land,” another replied.

“And he did mostly talk about it.”

Álvarez shook his head

“Not exactly what I meant,” he said.

“I know what you mean, mister Álvarez,” Lemaur said.

“Certainly, an enlightening talk. Though it’s hard to tell how much the words were the priest’s own, and those of Archbishop Fonte’s.”

“Huh, what do you mean?” one man asked.

“I mostly only heard of this, but,” Lemaur explained.

“Throughout December the Church held a few meetings at the capital. Their position on our situation is more optimist than most. That we were the ones sent to another place instead of the rest of the world.”

“I thought as much as well, and now everyone here, too, knows without a doubt,” Álvarez said, waving an arm with a slight backwards motion, for he had his back to the rest of the landmass.

Everyone gathered murmured in agreement.

“And I had heard about the gatherings, as well,” Álvarez continued.

“But is that really important?” a man asked.

“For weeks the priests have said the same thing every Sunday. That this must be some sort of trial from God, and our faith must remain strong. We know that already.”

“That is not the whole truth on the matter,” a voice said.

Everyone turned to see who had spoken, and they saw Guerrero walking towards them.

“Oh, so there was indeed more to it?” Lemaur asked.

“That’s correct. It was among the things President Victoria mentioned to me before we departed.”


February 23
Mexico City, Federal District

“There is one more matter to convey, it is regarding the Church,” Victoria said.

Victoria and Guerrero were at the National Palace, seated across a desk in the president’s room.

“Is it about the priest who will conduct mass during the voyage?” Guerrero inquired.

Victoria shook his head.

“No, although that may be brought up once you reach Veracruz. This is a bigger matter,” was his reply.

“I would assume they are interested in the expeditions?” Guerrero asked.

“That would be correct,” a voice was heard from the doorway.

Both men turned towards the entrance and stood up as another man walked in, clad in elaborate robes. It was none other than Pedro José de Fonte, Archbishop of the Mexico Archdiocese.

“Archbishop, what brought you here?” Victoria asked.

“I heard the man in charge of the Atlantic expedition would soon depart for Veracruz,” the Archbishop replied.

“I wanted to explain things directly, and in good fortune I find him here,” he turned to face Guerrero.

“Please, Archbishop, sit down,” Victoria waved an arm towards the desk, as Guerrero moved a chair. They both sat next to each other on one side as Archbishop Fonte sat on Victoria’s former seat, at the opposite side.

“Well, gentlemen,” Archbishop Fonte began.

“As the president knows already, I, as many of the clergy, believe the country was sent to another world.”

Guerrero nodded.

“And how else could that be possible, if not by an act of God?”

Victoria and Guerrero glanced at each other briefly.

“That would certainly be hard to disprove, Archbishop,” Guerrero said.

“But then, if that were true then…”

“Why?”

The Archbishop spoke suddenly, silencing Guerrero.

“Yes, that is the question,” he continued.

“I do not believe we got sent to a planet with nothing but water. There must be other lands, somewhere across the seas. And I do not doubt either for them to be inhabited. We find interest on whatever matter of belief they might hold.”

Realization dawned on Guerrero but decided to not interrupt.

“Three-hundred years ago, when our ancestors first arrived in these lands, they found a land untouched by the nuances the Old World had. A land filled with pagan beliefs. The Church took it as its duty for the word of God to be delivered on the denizens of the land.”

Not that there has been much success in the north, even to this day, Guerrero thought.

“Perhaps that is our purpose, why we are here,” Archbishop Fonte concluded.

“So you say,” Guerrero finally decided to speak.

“We could be here to convert whoever we may find?”

“That is our belief, yes,” Archbishop Fonte replied.

“That is… a bit hard to swallow, sir,” Guerrero said.

“You are not the only one. I had already expressed my doubts on the matter as well,” Victoria told him.

“And I also repeat, there’s also doubt within the Church,” Archbishop Fonte replied.

“We do not have proof there is indeed other lands or people across the seas. And so, we have an interest in these expeditions, and would want to be informed of any discoveries made on the matter.”


March 20
Beach

There was silence once Guerrero finished talking. Surprised looks abounded, not daring speak.

“So, that explains it,” Lemaur spoke, breaking the silence.

“Now it does sound certain the priest was speaking on behalf of the Archbishop, and why we conducted mass outside the ship, where it could be seen.”

“That’s some tall business,” one man commented.

“I find it hard to believe.”

“Well, the Archbishop himself admitted it was just conjecture on their part,” Guerrero said.

“Regardless, it is likely that whether it’s true or not, they are going to try anyway. Hence wanting to know what the expeditions find.”

“And convince as many to the idea as possible,” Álvarez added.

“Correct,” Guerrero agreed.

“I can assume then it’s the same matter in Echávarri’s expedition?” Lemaur asked.

“I left the capital before I heard of it, but I would think it is,” Guerrero replied.

“With all this talk, now I am curious about if those horses worship anything,” another man spoke up, looking over at a group of pegasi who seemed to be in conversation.

“They might, all things considered,” Guerrero said.

“One more thing we have to wait to find out.”


West of Equestria

The delegation was making another stop for the day, still following the river.

“So that’s the ocean,” one pony said, as he gazed westwards.

“That’s a lot of water,” another commented.

“This is exciting. We might be able to reach it by nightfall,” a third said.

As ponies digested this fact, Starswirl and the princesses were inside the unicorn’s tent, alongside Red Apple and a couple others.

“Thank you all for your participation,” Starswirl said.

“After comparing the results, I am confident of the workings of the spell.”

“That’s good to know, Lord Starswirl, but can we be sure it will work on them?” one the ponies, a unicorn, asked.

“I don’t see why not,” Starswirl replied.

“Being of a different species should not impede the spell from working. Although it is a valid point to bring up, but I would not be worried of it failing.”

“Ah, I see,” the unicorn said.

“Well, in any case, you are dismissed.”

The ponies bowed before they did so.

“Now it is just a matter of getting our guests to accept having the spell being cast on at least one of them,” Starswirl continued, now addressing the princesses.

“Would it be easy to convince them, Lord Starswirl?” Celesia asked.

“It is in Wing Shield’s hooves, your highness,” Starswirl replied.

“I expect we will be brought up to date for anything he discovers about them once we arrive, though with just a few days, I doubt we can get enough of a linguistic exchange to convey the message properly.”

“Do we need to? Can’t we just cast the spell and then explain?” Luna asked.

“That is a big risk, Luna!” her sister replied.

“I have thought on the matter, and I do not discard it,” Starswirl commented.

“But Lord Starswirl, what if they think it might be some sort of attack?” Celestia asked.

“Your highness, there will always be risks,” Starswirl said.

“Trying to learn enough of their language to convey what the spell entails is going to take much longer than if we could just cast it and explain immediately. Yes, it is safer, but can that much time be afforded?”

“That is a good point,” Celestia admitted.

“But only if we can explain immediately. If casting the spell right away can speed things up, we must not give them the chance to misinterpret the action.”

“Then it shall be done,” Starswirl merely said.

Celestia sighed.

“That’s what I said from the beginning!” Luna, however, grinned.

“Don’t worry, your highness,” Starswirl continued.

“It’s never foolish to be concerned about the consequences. Just don’t let it paralyze you with indecision for what could go wrong, for it never is set in stone what could happen. Let that be a lesson for both you. Now, if you excuse me, now that I am done with the spell, there are other matters I must attend to. You are free for the time being.”

The princesses bowed before leaving the tent.


As Starswirl and the princesses talked, the ponies who had left the tent were in a talk of their own.

“So,” one of them suddenly said, barely having moved from the tent.

“How do think it will go, once we meet up with them?”

“Not sure, to be honest,” another replied.

“It’s going to be mostly between the princesses and whoever is their leader. We are likely to just stand there and still, like guards.”

“Oh, I see,” the first pony said.

“And you, Red Apple? What do you think?”

“Hm? Oh, I’m mostly the same,” was Red Apple’s reply.

“I am just a farmer. It’s going to be something way out of my league, so I’ll just leave it to those who are capable.”

“Is that so? Then why come?” the last one, the unicorn who spoke to Starswirl, asked.

“When they were looking for volunteers,” Red Apple explained. “They mentioned seeking what could represent Equestria best. You remember, right?”

The ponies nodded.

“I signed in, at the time only thinking about my job and what it brought to the kingdom.”

He stopped his walk and turned to face the ocean. The others stopped as well but kept their gazes on him.

“But now, it dawns on me. This is a big thing. If things go well, it won’t be the last time our country and theirs will meet. And it may happen with others as well, in the future. But at this moment, it is the first time.”

The other ponies now began to gaze westward as well.

“It won’t mean the same, afterwards. The pegasi already were the first to do so, but we could become the first unicorns and earth ponies to do it. When could another opportunity like this show up? Perhaps it is not a bad thing, to be part of such a big event. I would be able to say I was more than just a farmer, once we come back. Perhaps I didn’t come here for that at first, but I am certainly now.”

“Hmm, when you put it that way, that does make it worthwhile,” the second pony said.

“Yeah, it does sound nice,” the first pony said.

“Do you think we could be mentioned in books on the subject?” the unicorn asked, excited.

“Even if just as names on a list, that is still something,” the second pony said.

“Okay, everypony, let’s be sure we do leave a mark!”

“Yeah!”

Author's Note:

There is a reason I chose late November as the point Mexico got ISOT'ed. The country stands at a point where many migratory animals either spend the winter here (like the gray whale and the monarch butterfly), or pass through (like some species of birds). Late November would be a point where practically all those animals would have just arrived to be also brought along. Yeah, the bit with the whales this chapter wasn't big, but it is meant to show part of the full extent of the consequences of transplanting a country to another planet/world/dimension/etc. We humans ain't the only ones affected, after all.

Also... religion. I know some people don't exactly like when stuff like that is brought up, but I think it's one thing that can't be avoided here. Catholicism was a big(ger?) thing back then, one of the three cornerstones of the consumation of Independence (representing the white portion of the Three Guarantess flag, and also said to represent the white stripe of the tricolor, at least back in the day). It was a symbol of unity, and thus, it was deemed as mandatory and the only religion permitted, during the early decades of the country. As a side note, I did checked, and March 20, 1825 did fell on a Sunday.

It won't be the end of this, but rest assured if you do mind. The subject of religion won't really have that big of a prescence again after this chapter for the time being, so I hope it won't really be something that drives away people from reading this because it will be a thing. In any case, do look forward for the big meeting, as it comes ever closer.

So, until next time!

EDIT 01/04/2019: Recently made a small edit in this chapter. Turns out, back then there was only the one Archdiocese for the entire country. So I simply changed the line that mentioned there were more than one archbishop.