• Published 5th Jun 2016
  • 3,244 Views, 83 Comments

Flight of the Golden Eagle - A New World - Acacia Sgt



Shortly after its formation, a new nation faces a situation that did not saw coming after finding itself in a whole new world.

  • ...
4
 83
 3,244

Chapter 19 - Until We Meet Again

Oaxaca, Oaxaca

Eventually in Mexico, nightfall had also arrived. As the nighttime activities of the city began, in the residence of one Antonio Maza, an event was winding down. As it had been going on since the early-midafternoon. A birthday celebration for a young man, who had turned nineteen that day. That man was named Benito Pablo Juárez García.

“I thank you, once more,” Juárez told Maza.

When Juárez moved to the city at the age of twelve, he sought his older sister María Josefa, who worked as cook in Maza’s household. He asked Maza for lodging and work. Though weeks later he would be under the tutelage of Franciscan priest Antonio Salanueva, Juárez had remained in touch with Maza.

“It was nothing, boy,” Maza replied.

“Besides, it was also in part a celebration for your good start in the arts course at the seminar.”

“Perhaps if you only count Latin,” a new voice was heard.

They turned to see the new speaker, who was Salanueva.

“Ah, Father Salanueva, surely young Benito here hasn’t started to slack off,” Maza said.

“Well, his performance in theology leaves much to be desired,” Salanueva responded.

“I won’t fail the course, sir,” Juárez responded.

“You better not,” Salanueva said.

“Otherwise it might hurt your chances to be ordained. It’s not a chance to waste. With God’s favor, you might even become among the first missionaries to indoctrinate this new world.”

“Ah, I had heard about that,” Maza spoke.

“I’m still not fully convinced that’s what happened. Even if true, the Church isn’t bound to have it any easier this time around.”

“Surely Mister Maza, it’s quite the bold assumption,” Salanueva replied.

“Once the expeditions bring the answer to that quandary, we can truly debate if it will be an easy task or not.”

“Perhaps,” Maza continued.

“Though word has already reached here the Pacific expedition turned back. Your hopes now hang on the Atlantic one.”

“And we’ll soon see about that,” Salanueva said.

Taking this opportunity, Juárez slipped away from their debate.

Though thankful to Salanueva for enabling him to receive a formal education, Juárez wasn’t keen on joining the clergy. Salanueva had tried once already, but Juárez had convinced him he wasn’t yet old enough for it. That had bought him time, and the arts course would bring a few years more. Soon, the city’s Institute of Arts and Sciences that was under construction would finish; and he was already planning to attend to study law, once he finished his current course. He would have to convince Salanueva; but that would be dealt in due time.

There was one thing he did heed about, though. The idea to visit this new world didn’t sound that bad. Perhaps he would one day travel abroad. Not as a missionary. It would be on his own terms.


March 22, 1825
Beach

It was the early afternoon. Preparations for departure were almost non-stop since last night; but didn’t took long. It was, after all, simply packing up the camp and bringing it back on board. The ponies had been doing the same with their own camp. The leaders of both groups, however, spent all that time ironing out the details of their eventual reunion. Specially on the matter that not all may be present for it.

The language spell’s effect had ended during the night; but it had been a non-issue since the humans were all sleeping when it happened. The spell was reapplied to all four in the morning. Though not before first testing how much of the Equestrian language they had managed to retain. As such, for the final moments before the humans departed, they had taken the talk to the ship’s deck, someplace it wouldn’t disturb the activity wherein.

“This is such a remarkable vessel,” Starswirl commented.

“Too bad we can’t afford to take a look of the inside.”

“I’m afraid the insides are just not easy traversable for your kind,” Guerrero commented.

“And I can vouch for that,” Wing Shield spoke.

“Still a disappointment,” Starswirl said.

“At least just being here is quite the experience.”

“Experience, indeed,” Luna said, who was mostly staring at her hooves.

“I don’t think I like all this motion under me.”

“Unfortunately, that can’t be helped for those that have never been on a ship before,” Lemaur said.

“You get used to it, eventually.”

“Although then being back on land is what you need to get used to again,” Austin commented.

“Well, for us pegasi it’s nothing to worry about,” Wing Shield said.

“Getting used to walking on clouds is not that different on principle.”

“Perhaps, sister, we need to do the same soon enough,” Celestia said.

“To be back on topic,” Guerrero began.

“We thank once again you’re giving us most of your provisions for the trip back.”

“And replenish our water reserves,” Lemaur added.

“It was nothing,” Celestia said.

“A last gesture of goodwill until we meet again, to mitigate the issues of your trip back to your homeland.”

“Well said, your highness,” Starswirl nodded.

“Admittedly, we weren’t sure how long our stay was going to be. It is in good fortune then our surplus will give you fresh food, if only for the first days of voyage.”

“Although we already had plans to ration our provisions to make them last until the end of the voyage, I’m sure I speak for everyone that we won’t miss having to put them on hold right now,” Álvarez said.

“It’s a sentiment I understand too well,” Wing Shield said.

“Well, I’m thankful we didn’t have to stray far from Equestria, in that case,” Luna commented.

“In any case, I would think the journey itself is not the biggest of our worries,” Austin said.

“Oh, and what would that be?” Lemaur asked.

“Well, trying to explain we found a kingdom of talking ponies without sounding like we went crazy,” Austin explained.

The men looked at each other. A collective sigh was then heard.

“Yes, that is going to be a problem,” Lemaur crossed his arms and shook his head.

“Explaining that is going to get interesting,” Guerrero said.

“Is that really a big concern?” Luna asked.

“Surely after what your country just went through it should make it easier to believe.”

“Well, you see, just because that happened doesn’t make anything else fair game,” Guerrero explained.

“Besides, we wouldn’t really have much proof to back our words, either.”

“It is a shame this was something unexpected,” Celestia said.

“Otherwise, something could have been arranged regarding the matter.”

“Trust me, your highness, perhaps it’s a good idea that has been left for a later date,” Wing Shield said.

“I’m sure their country will come in due time to fully understand the world they’re now in,” Starswirl stroke his beard.

“In that case, we’ll let them take it one step at a time.”

Shortly after a sailor approach the group, saying something in the humans’ native tongue. He then left.

“Well then, I suppose it’s time to say farewell,” Lemaur said.

“We were just told that preparations for departure are finally complete.”

“The time had to come sooner or later,” Wing Shield said.

“Our time together was short; but very important. Hopefully it can be an ‘until we meet again’.”

“Some of the farewells might be final, however, all things considered,” Austin said.

“That would be a shame,” Celestia said.

“If an understandable one.”

“Then this moment, we must commit it to memory,” Starswirl stroke his beard.

“The time spent here, even if brief, will accompany us for the rest of our lives. Even if we never see each other again, the friendships made here, will find a way to endure.”

A chorus of agreements came afterwards.

“Hmm, what a shame,” Álvarez said.

“This could’ve been something to raise a toast for.”

Some chuckles followed.


The ship began to move. As a last action by the pegasi, they used their wings to create artificial gales as there currently was no westward wind to help the ship. Some of them flew following the ship for a bit, before stopping and just waved goodbye. Eventually they returned to shore. Over there the last of the preparations of their own departure back to Equestria were underway.

“I hope they do reach their country safely,” Celestia said.

“They already made it here, your highness. I’m sure the journey back won’t be an issue either,” Starswirl said.

“I do look forward to meet up with them again,” Wing Shield said.

“I share that sentiment,” Luna said.

“I wanted to know more about the moon of their world.”

“Was that what you spent inquiring about last night?” Celestia asked.

“Of course, sister,” Luna replied.

“Though I did get what I most wanted: The word for moon in their language.”

“Oh, and what is that word?” Starswirl asked.

“Well, none other than ‘Luna’,” the alicorn replied.

Luna?” Celestia repeated, getting a nod in reply.

“I like how it sounds,” Luna then got a pensive look.

“Yes, yes, I think I want to be referred to as that from now on.”

Her sudden declaration brought different responses. Wing Shield’s was mostly neutral, while Starswirl gave a brief chuckle. Celestia, however, was astonished.

“You want to change you name!?”

“Oh please, sister, my name already means ‘moon’. It’s practically the same word, just in a different language. Besides, if we are taking the titles of princesses, perhaps giving them a bit of an exotic flair can make them stand out.”

“Our actions will be more important, sister,” Celestia sighed.

“Perhaps, though so long we’ll have them, then might as well. Say, I also asked what their word for sun was. Do you want to do the same?”

“No, I am okay keeping my name,” Celestia replied.

“Though I would want to know the word, nevertheless.”

Before Luna could answer, a pony approached them.

“Your highnesses,” he bowed.

“Preparations are done. We can leave at your command.”

With that, he turned and returned from where he came from.

“Well, young Luna,” Starswirl chuckled at using the Spanish word, complying with her wishes.

“Perhaps that can wait until we’re already heading back. I’d like to know more of what you were able to learn.”

“Oh, absolutely, Lord Starswrl,” Luna said, as they all now made their way to rejoin with the others.

“Mentioning this now, there was this story regarding the moon and a rabbit you might find interesting…”


“The Atlantic Expedition was now on its way back. As long it took for them to reach those distant shores, it took them around as long to return to the Mexican ones. That meant they spent Easter still on the ship, the first celebrated in the new world. They wouldn’t return until the seventh of April, already rationing their supplies; but return they did. By the time the ship was back in Veracruz, news of their arrival had already reached the capital. The news they brought back shook the entire country in the weeks to come. Before all that happened, however, there was one final thing they did before they were far from shore…”

Ignacio Manuel Hernández Ríos, Ancient History of Mexico - Volume II, UNLAP 1081AL


The beach soon came out of sight. The last of the humans who had stayed watching took this as the sign to head back to full attention on the ship; and the long journey back to Mexico. Not all of them, though.

“Well, gentlemen,” Guerrero said.

“I may be getting ahead already; but I consider this mission as an outstanding success.”

“Oh, don’t worry about it,” Lemaur said.

“I can agree with that sentiment.”

“Well, I won’t join with that sentiment until I see the shores of the Yucatan again, at the least,” Álvarez said.

“Heh, I could almost say the same about Texas,” Austin mentioned.

He then focused back on the land they were leaving behind.

“It’s almost a shame I’ll be busy with the colony back home. Otherwise, I wouldn’t mind coming back.”

“I’m with you, friend,” Lemaur said.

“So many of my countrymen are yet to build new lives in light of our situation. I’ll dedicate myself on that once coming back.”

He chuckled.

“I don’t suppose there may be room in your colony now, since much of your settlers were left behind.”

Austin chuckled in response, though then he shook his head.

“I’m afraid not. Before leaving, I had received word that our seventh infantry regiment was left stranded in what was left of the Arkansas territory. In one of our frontier forts. I already made plans to allocate some of them as replacements.”

Lemaur hummed. “What a shame,” he replied.

“After your service here, I’m sure you’ll have no problem convincing President Victoria to also give land grants to you and your men,” Guerrero said.

“Thank you. I’ll keep that in mind,” Lemaur said.

“Well, perhaps of all here I might have the best chances to coming back to… uh, the coast we left behind.” Álvarez began.

He frowned.

“That place doesn’t have a name, does it?”

Guerrero shook his head.

“It doesn’t. Not even they had a name for it yet.”

“Perhaps we should give it one, at least on our end,” Lemaur mused.

“What kind of name, then?” Austin asked.

“Perhaps we should name it after the ponies,” Álvarez suggested.

“They were the most notable thing about the place.”

“Not a bad idea,” Guerrero said.

“Naming it after the winged ones, since we meet them first.”

“On that subject, we don’t really have a proper name for them either,” Lemaur pointed out.

“Since they are creatures we will see again; and likely quite often in the future, we should have a more proper term. Unless you think flying or winged horses can be enough.”

“No, we should give them an actual name,” Guerrero said.

“Any ideas, then?” Lemaur asked.

“Well, sometimes things get named after whoever discovered or created them,” Austin began.

“Or significant individuals when it comes to terminology.”

“I don’t suppose there are any flying horses of note in the mythologies of the old world?” Guerrero asked.

“Well, there is Pegasus…” Lemaur brought up.

“Anyone else?”

“Not that I can think of.”

“Pegasus sounds fine to me,” Álvarez said.

“I suppose that’s another matter to deal with once we get back; but for now, referring to flying horses as Pegasi it will be,” Guerrero said.

“Then it’s settled about the name of the beach?” Austin asked.

“Absolutely,” Guerrero nodded.

“The region encompassing between the coast and the mountains, that desert we saw to the south and the river we saw in their drawn map, it will henceforth be known as…”

He took once last look at the horizon, where the previously mentioned mountains were almost fully out of view.

“Los Pegasos.”

Author's Note:

After having the last few chapters happening on a March 21, of course I wasn't going to not write a segment about Juárez. The segment has a purpose, nonetheless. Plenty of people like him at the moment, whose original histories are on the verge of non-existence. Nothing is guaranteed once you drastically change their enviroment. Will Juárez, among others, follow different paths in life? That is still left to be seen.

Also, I won't deny the whole "naming the pegasi" thing was certainly a bit contrived. Historically, using Pegasus to refer to flying horses didn't really began until the mid twentieth century or so. For the purpose of this story, this will began more than a century earlier for the displaced humans. I'm not fully sure if there was any easier way to deal with that; but that's how I'm going for this. That aside, I won't be surprised if many already figured I was going for the whole "Los Pegasos gets it name due to the Mexicans" for the story. Yes, I know the show calls it Las Pegasus; but that's not proper Spanish, so don't mind me if I'm fixing that here.

Well, the humans and ponies part ways for now. Though they will certainly meet again. However, it won't be in this story. I had long planned it to end here. The story was only mostly going to be about the first contact scenario. This entry is meant to be the prologue to a larger narrative, which will continue in a future story. When? I'm not fully sure. It will come someday, however.

So until that day comes... see ya!

Comments ( 15 )

Cant wait for the Sequel its a good story

Buena historia, me gusta mucho lo que hiciste. ¡Esperaré con ansias la continuación!

“Otherwise it might hurt your chances to be ordained. It’s not a chance to waste. With God’s favor, you might even become among the first missionaries to indoctrinate this new world.”

Hmmph.

While the actual decision lies with the ponies themselves, I don't like the idea of humans spreading religion in Equestria. It seems too much like contaminating a pure culture to me.

The word "indoctrinate" doesn't help matters at all.

“Yes, yes, I think I want to be referred to as that from now on.”

Wait, Luna's not yet Luna?

That's weird. *scratches head*


Me want sequel please!

9585132

Hmmph.
While the actual decision lies with the ponies themselves, I don't like the idea of humans spreading religion in Equestria. It seems too much like contaminating a pure culture to me.
The word "indoctrinate" doesn't help matters at all.

Yeah, I know some would not like the idea; but I would think it'd be as bad from a realistic standpoint to just skip over it or avoid it. It's going to happen. How much I'd show and most importantly, how would it go, are certainly two aspects I'd debate with long about before writing the sequel(s).

On the flip side, Mexican Catholicism, specially in the south, has a good deal of syncretism and even born from it. So you can at least expect pony culture may not... ah, be "contaminated" as much. It would depend on the individuals sent over for the job, though. Besides, look at things like the cute-ceañeras, the job has been retroactively done. :derpytongue2:

Wait, Luna's not yet Luna?
That's weird. *scratches head*

Haha, yes, that's another thing I wanted to pull off. Consider this. When you take the ponies's names in English (which would be treated as the default ones since that's the show's original language), Luna still has a non-English word for a name. So I figured I could use that for my story. However, I kept writing her name as Luna for familiarity, as writing her as Moon would just be... well, I thought it'd just feel a bit awkward. So yeah, in this story Luna is basically going to go by a foreign form of her birthname.

9586656
A classic case of "I respect the realism, but that doesn't mean I like it."

Just as long as they don't force it on anypony and they don't sugar-coat things, I'm fine with it.

Saying this makes me feel kind of weird, as I'm officially a Roman Catholic.


Moon or Luna, the Princess of the Night will always be, well, the Princess of the Night.

I like this, you ended this story very well as a mean to lead to a bigger one. Best wishes and congratulations on your first story being finished.

9586656

9585132

While the actual decision lies with the ponies themselves, I don't like the idea of humans spreading religion in Equestria.

Yeah, I know some would not like the idea; but I would think it'd be as bad from a realistic standpoint to just skip over it or avoid it. It's going to happen.

For one thing, not everyone has a problem with this idea. I kind of like it, even if the Catholic Church's teachings aren't all correct (I am an ex-Catholic, current Evangelical). And, as the author stated above, it's something that's going to happen.

As for a "pure" culture, I don't think it is. It's clear that this is the time before Luna's banishment, and back during the tribal days (presumably not long before this story, maybe a few hundred years back from the time stamp for this story), when the pony tribes were still three separate nations, things weren't perfect. Even if you did try and claim that pony culture in the modern era is "pure," I think events show otherwise.

- Suspicion of other species; Zecora in particular, but also see Neighsay throughout Season 8.
- Lack of knowledge about other lands (only Twilight really seems to know much about non-Equestrian lands, and that knowledge has its limits)
- The rich and aristocratic are clearly imperfect. Prince Blueblood hardly ingratiates himself to the audience, and even Twilight, in the episode where Spike is covering for her as she sleeps, notes that Fancy Pants (probably one of the more progressive nobles) wanted to discuss "special privileges."
- Prone to fighting at certain times, and being stubborn about it; checkout the Hoofields and the McColts, and Over a Barrel.
- The Princesses, in more recent seasons, have been less sublime, especially with each other. This goes all the way back to the Slice of Life episode (when they quarreled over who should have brought a present) and has continued into Twilight's Seven (when they clearly have arguments over security).
- Greed still exists; Flim and Flam, not to mention the stallion (I don't remember his name) who manipulated them and a bunch of others in Las Pegasus.

So as "pure" cultures go, Equestria isn't.

I do hope to see more of this, and again reiterate that i am happy to help should it be needed~

When will this be updated with a sequel? T_T

9768988
Thank you. That does answer my question.

Any plans for a sequel?

I finished reading this and this was really good, hope there's a sequal to this.

This story gets a 0/10 for ending a good thing wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too early. Is there a sequel yet?

I remember saw this story on the home page some years ago, just read the description and forget it for two years, and somehow im here again and after reading it i must say that i love it!

Im history dork and i get a smirk everytime you portrayed correctly historical events, characters or places like Fort Ross or stuff like Acapulco being part of the State of Mexico back then, those silly details made my day.

Another strong point for me is how plausible i felt this encounter between this two groups develop over the course of some days, reactions of both goverments, those side stories in different parts of the coutry showing how such an event of this matter will effect people, economy or even wild life.

even if future sequels never happen, im just happy with what you did here!

This really needs a sequel written soon!^_^

Login or register to comment