• Published 19th May 2016
  • 3,186 Views, 159 Comments

Nymphetamine: The Heart's Price - Architect Ironturtle



Princess Cadance decided she had to experience love with every species on the planet before she could truly become the Princess of Love. It's too bad for her the spell she used to get that experience had some unpleasant side effects...

  • ...
21
 159
 3,186

3: Tastes Like Chicken

Chrysalis stopped to catch her breath as she dropped Alex on the cobblestone of a back alley. Without her empathy, she'd be totally lost by now. The only really big structure that had ever been in her life was the crystal palace, and it was nothing like the monoliths of glass, brick, steel, and stone that lined the streets of this city. The inside of each one would have been a complete mystery to her if she was still a normal pony, and she wouldn't have any idea that she'd just stopped outside the purest (to her senses) brothel in town. Most of those places had a strong flavoring of misery and fear, with no love or other positive emotions in sight. This one, however was clean lust with a touch of love and playful laughter. While the former could become fine cuisine if properly aged, it was an acquired taste in addition to not making a changeling's best first meal.

Speaking of which... She glanced down at her companion, lying slumped against the wall. She needed to wake him up so she could teach him to feed. However, that required a kick start, a large dose of magic delivered all at once. She sighed wistfully as she leaned over him. He wasn't going to be happy when he woke up, so she had to savor it as best she could.

88888888

The first thing Alex felt when he woke was a surge of heat. It raced along his nerves, waking up tired muscles and making his heart beat erratically against his rib cage. The feeling petered out at the tips of his toes, and slowly got stronger as it traveled up his chest, reaching its peak around... his mouth? Alex suddenly realized something warm and soft was pressed against his face, and he shoved it away as his eyes shot open and he shouted, "Chrysalis, what the hell?"

Chrysalis stumbled back a pace, her wistful expression quickly being replaced with a distinct, "Sorry, not sorry," air. "I had to give you a large dose of love magic to wake you up, Alex, and Changelings can only do that a few different ways. If you'd rather I had used one of your other holes..."

Alex growled as he stood up shakily, "What do you mean love magic?" he hissed, his lips parting to reveal his fangs. If this 'changeling' thought she could enthrall him again-

"I don't mean a love spell, if that's what you're asking," Chrysalis told him, causing his anger to hiccup. She began to pace across the alley cobblestones, and said, "But the answer is part of a much larger explanation, so you'll just have to be patient until I get to it. Also, you better sit down for now, that fight almost drained you dry."

Alex sat, although that was more because his legs gave out than because he wanted to. "I'm listening, but I'm not happy you did that," he told her, reminding himself that he'd made sure she wasn't out to get him, "Though it's not like I can go anywhere like this. Where are we anyway?"

"I'm not entirely sure," Chrysalis replied, poking her nose out of the alleyway to look around, "I think we're on the eastern side of town, but all these modern buildings are getting in the way. Anyway, that's not important. What is important is why we're here, and we're here to feed."

A shiver went down Alex's spine at the way Chrysalis said that word, "Feed?" he asked.

"It's a bit complicated, so bear with me here," Chrysalis stated as she walked over and sat down against the opposite wall, "First of all, how much do you know about magic?"

"Not much," Alex replied warily, "I know unicorns can cast spells, and I know love spells are the most horrible monstrosity ever invented, but that's about it."

"I see," for a moment Chrysalis was silent, then she said, "I'll just have to explain as best I can then. The short version is, well, magic is more than just spell casting. Much more. Magic is literally the breath of life, the energy that separates a living from a nonliving creature. Every plant and animal in the entire world generates magic, even if no more than a single drop. For sapient species, it also acts as the glue between the soul and the body. Without it, your soul drifts away, and you... cease. We changelings, however, can't generate our own magic. We have to gather it from our surroundings."

Alex's jaw dropped, "You're kidding," he stated, "You mean I'll die if I run out of magic? That's messed up."

"So would anypony else," Chrysalis said, cocking her head to one side, "The only difference is they make their own magic stores."

"Well," Alex retorted, "where I come from there's no magic at all, and it doesn't seem to be much of an obstacle to life over there."

Chrysalis gave him a odd look, "That's not possible," she told him, her voice wavering slightly, "Magic is life, and life is magic. You can't have one without the other. If you didn't have magic we wouldn't be having this conversation. Period."

"In this world, maybe," Alex grumbled, his arms crossed. After a few moments of silence while Chrysalis tried to process that statement, Alex spoke up again. "Well," he admitted, "I do have a little magic. I wouldn't even have known it was there if the doctors hadn't pointed it out, but it does give me a plus two on all dexterity checks."

Chrysalis stared at him blankly, "Right, you wouldn't know what that means. I forgot. Basically, I'm a little bit better at anything that requires a good sense of balance, quick reflexes, or fine motor control. It's nothing like the ponies have, not by a long shot. At least," he looked down at his hands, "That's what it used to be like."

Chrysalis decided that, as curious as figuring out where exactly Alex came from was, they were wasting valuable time, mentally shelved it, and said, "In any case, like I said we can't produce our own magic. We consume it, use the magic of others to fill that gap in our bodies.* Dragons do much the same thing when they consume gems, which are essentially magic in physical form. And no," she added, running over Alex's protest, "That doesn't make us soulless monsters preying on the general populace. Consuming magic, if done carefully, will not harm the target. That's more than most predators can say about their feeding habits. Changelings do still need to eat normal food, by the way. Just nowhere near as much as before. We generally only need one meal a day unless we're recovering from a serious injury."

Alex's frown relaxed a bit, and he nodded thoughtfully, prompting a smile from Chrysalis. Even after all these years, she still loved to teach, and relished the chance to dust off her old toolbox, so to speak. In fact, it was during one of her lectures that, that...

She shut down that line of thought before it could reach its painful conclusion and started talking again. "While we can eat raw magic, it's completely bland on top of being hazardous to gather, so we tend to avoid it if possible. Instead, our preferred food is emotional magic, or magic charged with emotions. Sapient creatures radiate magic whenever they experience strong feelings of love, hate, fear, joy, etc., and changelings can soak that magic up and use it for our own ends. The stronger the emotion, the more magic they put out. Every combination of emotions possible makes a slightly different flavor, but love is the sweetest. Anything combined with it tastes better than it would otherwise."

"Like snow cones?" Alex asked. When Chrysalis didn't reply, he continued, "They're a dessert from back home. You take a scoop of crushed ice and soak it in sweet syrup flavored with some kind of fruit. So the magic is the ice, and the emotion the syrup?"

Chrysalis smiled and nodded, "Yes, very much so," she told him. Alex's face flickered for a brief moment, a proud smile combined with a sense of elation at figuring out a problem before it was quickly buried under a mound of apathy and a neutral expression. Curious.

"That's what I meant when I said I gave you love magic," she continued, making Alex perk up and focus on her intently, "I didn't cast a spell to induce love, I transferred a packet of magic infused with love. Between your transformation, that accidental anger wave, and what I now realize was your natural magical talent boosting your abilities in combat, you basically had nothing left. There's a big difference."

"Ah," Alex said, his eyes lighting up in comprehension and giving Chrysalis a strong dose of satisfaction. His voice trailed off after a few seconds and he fell silent, clearly lost in thought. Chrysalis was about to tap her hoof a few times to get his attention when he said, "Thanks. For saving my life, I mean."

"You are quite welcome," Chrysalis said, and meant it. It had been a long time since she'd been on the receiving end of a genuine thank you, and it brought a warm feeling to her chest. "It's also why we're outside this building it particular," she added, pointing at the one Alex was sitting next to with a hoof, "This storefront contains the purest tasting pleasure house I have ever had the pleasure of dining at. Once I teach you how to open your magic to feed, this place will be your first meal."

"Pleasure house?" Alex asked, "You mean a prostitution business?" his face hardened when Chrysalis nodded, "I've never paid for a mare of the evening and I don't plan on starting now. Can we go somewhere else?"

Chrysalis burst out laughing, her voice echoing off the brick walls, "Y-you don't need to do it in person," she said once she had herself under control again, "I did say radiate energy. Being nearby is usually enough, although if you want to drain a lot of magic all at once direct contact is required. Just open your magic, reach out, and drink. Besides," She continued, more to herself than to him, "This is an unusually nice pleasure house. Normally these places have a nasty crust of sorrow and a pinch of fear covering the the lust. This one is not only clean, but it even has traces of joy and actual love in it. I'll have to mark this place for later, I don't want to forget it's here."

"Hmm," Alex said, slipping back inside his mind. Chrysalis rolled her eyes and started to reach over to tap him, but before she got close his eyes focused on hers and he said, "Is there a chain of barbers across the street?"

Chrysalis blinked, then looked and said, "Yes, but why-?"

Alex relaxed a bit, "We must be outside Barley Bee's Home For Wayward Mares. I've been here a few times, even if I never tried their full services, but everyone in the city knows this joint. The owner is obsessed with matchmaking, and cares more about his mares's happiness than he does maximizing his profits. In fact, I even asked him for help with getting..." he trailed off, and Chrysalis felt a spike of sorrow directed towards an unseen mare, "Nevermind. It's not important."

Chrysalis gave him a hard look, but let the subject drop, "If you say so," She purred, "Does that mean you're ready to feed?"

Alex's stomach growled. "...I guess so," he said, sounding cautious, but quickly rallied, "What exactly am I supposed to do?"

"Just open your magic, seek out the sweet tasting emotions inside, and pull them towards you," Chrysalis told him.

Alex stared at her blankly, "What was that first part again?" he asked, confusion clear in his voice.

"Open your magic?" Chrysalis repeated, growing slightly annoyed. Feeding wasn't that hard, it only took her a few tries to pick it up.

"Yes, that," Alex confirmed, "I have no idea how to do that."

At that precise moment Chrysalis realized her new 'king' knew less about performing magic than a unicorn foal. Her hoof met her forehead and she groaned internally. This was not something she had signed up for.

88888888

"Let me guess," Captain Armor said heavily, "There's no trace of them."

"We're sweeping the city now, sir," said Sergeant Backplate, frowning deeply, "but no. If they're still near the hospital, we can't find them. I do have the statements from the guards they defeated, though, and I will be having harsh words with Private Scapegoat for attacking first."

The Sergeant shoved the paperwork onto Shining's commandeered desk, saluted sharply, and left. Shining sighed as he picked up the files and start to look them over. Guards that worked in the cities and guards from Canterlot or the army proper had a friendly rivalry at best and a not-so-friendly one the rest of the time. Only Shining's personal reputation was keeping the locals from using passive aggressive tactics on him, and it still wasn't quite enough to keep the resentment out of their body language. Still, Shining could deal with that as long as they kept it in check.

He carefully read through the reports, then skimmed them a second time to make he'd gotten everything and set them aside to think. Well, to start with, this confirmed Alexander's identity. One time a while back Alex had ended up helping to make an arrest, and the smuggler, when asked to describe him, had called him, "A monster with the force of a minotaur, the speed of a griffon, and the temperament of a sleep-deprived dragon." That matched with what the guards had described, and the paramedics, when shown a picture of Alex as he used to look, had confirmed that it was Mr. Fleming that went into that room. The main thing the guards added was that the same person had come back out again, or at least something that could use his body as well as he could.

This led Shining's thoughts to the transformation itself. He had no idea what had caused it, and everything he'd tried so far had come up negative. Sweeping Mr. Fleming's home had uncovered a variety of interesting, unusual, and sometimes disturbing artifacts, but not a single thing he owned had been magical except for a lone reinforcement rune carved into the back of his shield.

The doctors, meanwhile, were too busy trying to make sense of Mr. Fleming's results to be able to tell Shining what had happened, let alone identify the source. Apparently Mr. Fleming did not generate magic, which was so utterly impossible that the doctors had scrapped an entire regimen of tests, at least until the patient had vanished and that was all they had to work with. The only thing they agreed on at this point was that the transformation's source was external, not something Alexander had done to himself, either by accident or on purpose.

This, in turn, led Shining to the day's most unexpected development: the appearance of a pony that seemed to share Alex's condition, and their subsequent escape. Somehow, the pony had managed to enter the hospital without attracting any attention, gotten into Alex's room, and convinced him to come with her. The pair had also slipped past a platoon of guards on full alert and only been exposed after a stroke of bad luck on their part. If not for that, they would have vanished without a trace, and Shining had an inkling of an idea of how they'd done it.

According to the guards on duty at the time of the breako-incident, Alex was not a prisoner, so he wasn't breaking out, a lone nurse had walked up to them, said a few choice words, and they'd let her inside. The thing was, neither of the guards could remember what she'd told them, and the mare they'd described had turned up outside, unconscious after a blow to the head and completely ignorant of the whole affair. This was all pointing in one direction, but Shining needed more information before he could be certain.

With a sigh, he opened a draw with magic and lifted out a few pieces of paper and a quill. He thoroughly didn't want to do this, not after last time, but he had no choice. Not if he wanted to find Alex before it was too late, although too late for what he didn't know. With a strong sense of resignation, he dipped the quill in the inkwell and began to write.

Dear Twily,

If you've got a moment to spare for your BBBFF, I need you to look something up for me...

88888888

"Ok, Alex, keep the picture of the egg clear in your mind," Chrysalis intoned, working her (hopeful) future-king through a basic magic training exercise, "feel the chick inside, alive, shifting, ready to break free. All it needs is a little push."

Alex's eyes were closed, his face screwed up concentration. For a creature who had never consciously used magic in his entire life, he was picking it up surprisingly quickly, though she couldn't tell whether that was due to natural talent or because he didn't give up after a few seconds like the protagonists in plays sometimes did. She always hated those brats, couldn't they see that all they needed was a smidgen of patience? Their lack of self control always led to their downfall, regardless of their supposed 'hero' status. Idiots, the lot of them.

"Do you feel it?" she asked, and Alex nodded slowly, "Then push. Hard and fast, all at once. You're busting that eggshell open, not carefully tearing a piece of paper."

Alex tensed, and Chrysalis felt his mental barriers crumble as energy seeped out. His eyes snapped open and locked with hers, accompanied by a surge of wonder so strong she almost could have fed off of it. "Wow," he said finally, anything more complex seemingly beyond him, "This city stinks."

...Or not.

"That it does," Chrysalis replied with a grimace, "Emotions don't disperse right away after being released. They tend to hang around, with the more intense ones lasting longer. Every settlement gets a distinct flavor, depending on which emotions are felt most often. This one just happens to be terrible. If the city changed, though, eventually its taste would change as well."

"Cool," Alex said, in a tone that told Chrysalis he was only half-listening, "Can you show me how to eat now? Something smells really good."

Chrysalis pouted for an instant, then rallied, "Of course," she said, "Just look at me, and do what I do."

Alex looked, and Chrysalis drank, reaching out and pulling on the sweet, savory concoction hidden within the dull stone structure. After a few seconds of careful scrutiny, Alex sent out a single, wavering thread (Chrysalis released with a start that it came from his fingertips, not his horn) and began to feed as well. His eyes lit up as his entire demeanor changed.

"Filet mignon!" He squealed, clearly delighted, and began to drink more deeply, "I haven't had a good piece of beef since the Christmas before I got here!"

"Beef?" Chrysalis asked, "What's that?"

"Cow meat," Alex replied, a dopey smile on his face, "Don't worry, our cows aren't like yours, they're nothing more than animals. Since they're sapient here consuming beef is both illegal and immoral, but that hasn't stopped me from missing it. Besides, pigs and chickens are fair game, so it's not a total loss."

Chrysalis blinked in surprise, latching onto the only part of that statement which wasn't confusing and/or disturbing.

"You're a carnivore then," she said, fitting this piece of information into her mental picture of Alex. She'd never tasted anything quite like lust before her turning, although most of the other emotions she'd sampled were familiar, but it made a twisted sort of sense. And Alex being carnivorous fit so well she that see really should have seen it earlier.

"Omnivore, actually, but close enough," Alex replied, "Good lord, this is delicious."

He started swaying from side to side while bouncing in place, and Chrysalis had to fight the impulse to burst into giggles. Alex was doing a happy dance! It'd been ages since she'd run into somepony who did that. He was even humming this little tune as he ate, a meandering ditty that didn't seem to be any song in particular. Frankly, in Chrysalis's opinion, it was adorable, the thought sending tingles across her skin.

A little while later Alex drifted out of his carnal bliss enough to focus on her again, and abruptly stopped moving and humming. He flushed, just a hair, and continued to eat in total silence, a mask of professionalism Chrysalis only saw through because she knew it was there sliding over his face and mind. Chrysalis frowned slightly, but didn't press the issue. Fresh greater changelings were always defensive, it came with the territory, but she'd get him back to normal soon enough. That moment of true expression was just way too cute to let slide.

Chrysalis finished feeding long before Alex did, as her stores were already about half full. While she could supercharge herself with a constant food source, anything above a certain threshold tended to bleed away without her using it. All changelings had this kind of limit, which varied from pony to pony, though the greater changelings always had a much larger one than the normal or lesser ones did. However, as Alex continued to eat and eat, longer than Chrysalis had at her first feeding, longer than any greater changeling she'd ever known (not that that number was larger than ten), worry began to creep into her mind. Was this healthy? How much power could he store, anyway?

Finally, after such a long time the light had changed, shifting to a slightly darker palette as the night inched closer, his tendrils retreated and he leaned back against the wall with a contented sigh, "Much better," he hummed, "I must have been starving."

"You were," Chrysalis said cautiously, "but... you feel fine, right?"

"Should I not?" Alex asked, shooting her a raised eyebrow, " I stopped when I thought I had enough. I mean, I could probably keep going if I wanted too, but this seemed sufficient. By the way, why can I tell you're worried about me? It's surprisingly bitter."

Chrysalis jumped on the subject change, using it to squish her nervousness out of sight as she explained, "It's just your empathy. Some ponies have made the assumption that because changeling feed on emotions, which itself isn't accurate, we can't feel them ourselves. That is obviously a load of horse-apples. Changelings can feel, we just don't generate emotional magic the way everything else does."

"I see," Alex said evenly, although Chrysalis could tell he wasn't pleased with her explanation, "I guess I can kiss my privacy good bye then. While were on the subject, though, can you tell me why whenever you look at me you taste like chicken?"

Chrysalis blushed as Alex laughed bitterly, "I suppose I'd be flattered if I wasn't dead to romance at the moment," he said as he stood up, brushing the backs of his legs off and swinging his arms around to loosen them up, "Now come on. You still owe me quite a few answers, and I wouldn't call this place secure. Can you cast that concealment spell again please?"

Chrysalis nodded as she stood as well, quashing a touch of disappointment at his (at this point natural) rejection. Alex had just placed his hand on her shoulder as her horn lit up and made them both fade from sight when a question popped into her head.

"If I may ask," she began, "Where are we going?"

"The one place no one would ever think to look for us," Alex said with a grin, "My home."

88888888

Twilight darted through the Canterlot library as quickly as she could without getting in trouble, her BBBFF's request dancing in the forefront of her mind. Nothing. She'd been looking for three straight hours and come up with nothing. She was Twilight Sparkle, personal student of the Solar Princess and the best up-and-coming scholar in all of Canterlot! Tracking down a few tomes about bug-ponies who might be able to shapeshift should be effortless for her! So. Why. Couldn't. She. FIND ANYTHING!?

Twilight paused at an intersection before turning towards her last hope of textual salvation: the history section. History in Equestria wasn't taught in primary school, and anypony who wanted to study it needed to pass a mental aptitude test (which only really filtered out the ponies who couldn't take the strain and ponies who shouldn't be given any ideas) first or have the Princess's express permission, like herself. The moment Twilight had cracked open her first text it been obvious why this was the case. Equestria's history was sickening to any modern pony, filled with sorrows, death, and destruction the likes of which just didn't exist in the modern world. In Twilight's opinion, the Princess was extremely wise in only allowing access to those ponies who were strong (or sane) enough to bear it.

Twilight thought she was strong enough, but that didn't stop her legs from trembling as she set off down the darkened bookshelves. This place always gave her the creeps. Normally she loved books, no matter what the subject matter, but these books held nothing but pain. She could feel their presence pressing down on her, telling her to leave and never come back, lest she be subjected to the horrors between their pages. This had never stopped her before though, and it didn't now. She pressed onward, and soon enough, she found it, the lone reference in the entire library. Normally she'd spend another hour or so compiling everything she'd gathered before sending Shining a stack of paper as thick as her hoof, but in this case all she had to do was copy the text for him. It wasn't even a full page of material, just a single paragraph in a book about the last days of the Crystal Empire.

Dear Shining,

I could only find one reference, I know, that's crazy, but I hope this helps.

...and so the Empire fell to shadow, consumed from within by the darkness in their leader's heart. Only the Royal Sisters prevented Equestria from falling as well, thanks to the swift wings of a crystalline pony. She brought the Sisters word of the Empire's fall, and begged them to help on her people's behalf. It was only after Sombra sealed the empire away that the truth was revealed. The pony was not a pony at all, but a bug in pony form. She wept for the loss of her home, inconsolable, before dying quietly in her bed. She is buried in the royal gardens, beneath a sculpture in her pony image named only "Sacrifice."

I'd love to bury you in paper again, but that's all I have. Sorry to disappoint. I have to ask though, how in Celestia's name did you manage to learn about something I had to spend an entire afternoon to find?

Love,
Twily

Author's Note:

*Since Chrysalis and Alex don't know Tirek exists, and he won't break out soon enough to have an impact on the story, I have to put this clarification down here. Tirek's magic consumption is different from a Changeling's because he takes not the pony's magic reserves, but the pony's magic's source. For example, take a hybrid car. A changeling will drain the battery, or hitch a ride on the outside of the vehicle. Tirek would steal the engine. It's a difference of kind and scale.

This entire headcanon is based around one question: If changelings were real, how would they function? That's part of why these changelings are so different from everywhere else. I'm pretty much blazing my own trail here.

78 likes. Thank you so much for giving this story a chance. I really didn't expect this kind of turnout for it.

Many thanks to wlam and thegoodcritic for providing a sounding board on Alex's personality and flaws. Hopefully your continued attentions will keep this story from going off the rails.

Actually, make that a blanket request. This story has the potential to be bad in a way most others don't, just as it has the potential to be great, not merely good. If you see something you think is stupid, tell me. I'll think it over and just might change it. Canary in the Coal Mine can attest to that.