• Published 17th Jun 2012
  • 3,235 Views, 89 Comments

Villains United - juststeph



A support group for the villains of Friendship Is Magic

  • ...
3
 89
 3,235

The Windigos' Story

No one else volunteered to speak after Discord. There seemed to be a sense of who could top that? in the room. The creatures roamed around, mingling with each other, talking about Equestria at large as well as the Elements of Harmony.

Diamond Tiara, still sore about Discord’s little joke, sat in the corner rubbing her nose with one hoof and holding an old gingerbread pony in the other. The cookie had gone stale since last Hearth’s Warming Eve, but it was her favorite kind of cookie and she kept one in her saddlebag for emergencies.

As she bit into the treat, a chill filled the room. Beings of pure white galloped into the space, dancing a circle above the heads of the dragons. Snow fell from the ceiling.

“Speaking of chaos,” Discord remarked. “It seems none of you are up to talking now, so I suppose I’ll tell the story for my old friends here.”

He held a cupped claw up to the falling snow, letting it form into a tall glass of water, which he delicately sipped before speaking.

--

THE WINDIGOS’ STORY

Thousands of years ago, before Nightmare Moon, before Celestia, even before I came to power, the Windigos were the guiding force of Equestria. These spirits fed off of disharmony and fostered it into the cold winter.

They found the early pony tribes and their precarious peace, and they fed. The snow made the ponies argue even more. The leader of each tribe met to try and compromise. But ponies are selfish, as you should all know well. Spurred by the bitter cold, the leaders each decided to leave their land and seek somewhere warmer. They thought they each came up with the idea independently, but the cold can alter a pony’s mind. The Windigos had more influence than anypony today knows.

The ponies arrived at their warm land, and of course the Windigos followed. Even without their influence, the ponies soon argued again, and the snow and cold could spread. The spirits chased the ponies into a nearby cave, and began to freeze them to death. Three were frozen solid, arguing all the way.

But as the ice creeped over the last ponies, those three began to laugh. The Windigoes tried to foster more hate and bitterness in them, but they kept laughing. The unicorn, who apparently bore an uncanny resemblance to our Twilight Sparkle, created a spell that repelled the cold and hatred alike. The Windigos were forced from the cave and away from Equestria.

Of course, that spell couldn’t last forever. The Windigos have returned time and again to feed on the disharmony among the ponies. Friendship can’t overcome everything. Evil—we will never be completely defeated.

--

As quickly as they had come, the Windigos whinnied and galloped out the entrance to the building. The temperature rose.

There was silence in the room. Those old enough to remember the Windigos, Discord and Nightmare Moon, understood that they were one of the first evils in the world. Until the Elements of Harmony were defeated, nopony could surpass them.

Author's Note:

I know this is a rather short chapter, but I figured it was important to get it out before Christmas.