• Published 17th Jun 2012
  • 3,235 Views, 89 Comments

Villains United - juststeph



A support group for the villains of Friendship Is Magic

  • ...
3
 89
 3,235

The Dragons' Story

The next week, no one was prepared to speak. The creatures around the room were roughly gathered into two groups: the ponies and the other beings. Nightmare Moon was standing somewhere between them, as she really didn’t belong to either group.

She headed to the other creatures side as the diamond dogs started growling at a group of dragons. The dragons had stolen a pile of gems and were sitting on it, casually tossing the brightly colored stones to each other to catch in their mouths. The diamond dogs had gone down on all fours and let their animal nature come out through vicious barks and growls.

Nightmare Moon was not in the mood to break up a fight, but she was also not in the mood to listen to these creatures squabble, either. She again summoned what she once called the Royal Canterlot Voice. “CEASE THIS BICKERING AT ONCE!”

Both groups quieted. The rest of the room watched them.

Nightmare Moon turned to the dragons. “You haven’t shared your story yet. Speak.”

“And for Celestia’s sake, make it interesting!” Gilda added, without looking up from the claw she was picking at.

--

So, my name’s Garble. This here’s Rumble and Jet.

…and that’s Crackle.

Anyways, we’re dragons. Duh. We hang out with other dragons and never really talk to those wimpy ponies. Except last year’s migration, when we passed by Ponyville and that little peewee dragon from there tried to join us.

We all knew he wasn’t part of our clan, and when he said he was from Ponyville, we had to have a little fun with him. Little Spike was too tiny to do anything. He couldn’t even belch right! Somehow he got a letter from that pony princess instead of a real burp.

So we tried tail wrestling. I figured any one of us could take on the peewee. But Crackle’s cousin was the one who tried. Hey Crackle, what’s your cousin’s name?

Right, that guy doesn’t talk.

Anyways, little Spike beat Crackle’s cousin, which probably wasn’t too hard. A hatchling could have beaten him. So Jet tried, and you beat him good, Jet! Little pony dragon was starting to get that he didn’t belong with us.

We gave him one last chance, ‘cause honestly, the pipsqueak was starting to get hurt. We’re dragons, not monsters. He might’ve been a little guy, but if we weren’t going to let him hang out we would have kicked him out already.

We wanted him to cannonball into the lava, but little Spike couldn’t even do that. He bellyflopped in the lava, smack! Had to hurt. But if the little guy could do something tough as that, we figured he could be one of us.

We hung out for a while, partied a while. It was cool. But when it got late, we got bored. The migration isn’t fun, hanging around with our families all day. We needed some time away from the nest. So we invited Spike on a raid.

Okay, raids are awesome. We go out and find some phoenix eggs and smash them. Phoenixes aren’t as rare as ponies think, they were all over the woods by that nest. We weren’t gonna smash all the eggs, just enough to annoy some pesky phoenixes.

But of course, Spike wimped out. Shouldn’t have expected anything else from a dragon that’s part pony. He only got one egg, and then didn’t even want to smash it! His pony friends showed up then—I think Crackle’s cousin was hiding them—and protected him. Look, I was mad, but I wasn’t about to hurt the little guy. If he’s a real dragon, then getting a little scratched up wouldn’t be anything.

So those ponies took Spike back, and Spike took the phoenix egg. We never saw him again, and it’s better that way. That little pony didn’t belong with us.

--

“What the hay did that have to do with the ponies?” Gilda asked.

“Spike was the Element of Loyalty for a brief time,” Discord said.

Nightmare Moon sighed. She seemed to be doing that a lot. “Another one of you didn’t bother facing the actual elements. Why are you here?”

“Look, just because Spike’s not one of those namby-pamby ponies doesn’t mean he wasn’t a threat,” Garble argued. “We let him hang with us. We don’t let anyone hang with us.”

“Yeah, and their sisters are a threat too!” Diamond Tiara said. “It’s not just those six!”

Nightmare Moon glanced at the rest of the assorted creatures, many of whom were nodding their assent. “I have not stopped any stories yet,” she said. “I don’t think I will start now.”