• Published 17th Jun 2012
  • 3,235 Views, 89 Comments

Villains United - juststeph



A support group for the villains of Friendship Is Magic

  • ...
3
 89
 3,235

Lightning Dust's Story

“So, did all of you have these sort of battles with those ponies?” a teal pegasus asked.

“Not all of us,” Diamond Tiara said sullenly. “Most of them did.”

“This group was not created to judge, though that seems it is all we do,” Nightmare Moon said. “If you have faced the Elements, you may speak about them. Any information we know can help us all.”

The pegasus shrugged. “I was kind of friends with one of them for a little while, until she got me kicked out of Wonderbolts boot camp. That was my dream for years, and then that goody-goody ruined it for me.”

Gilda cocked her head at the mention of the Wonderbolts. “Are you talking about Dash?”

“That’s her,” the pegasus said. “She ruined everything.”

--

LIGHTNING DUST’S STORY

I was the first pegasus in Manetreal to be accepted to the Wonderbolts Academy. Even though it’s a big city, the Wonderbolts always passed us over, picking their candidates from Canterlot or Cloudsdale. But word came to us that they were accepting a mare from Ponyville, and if they’d go to that podunk little town, why not someone from my home? I’d sent in an application, but after hearing about Ponyville, I had to hope even more.

When the city heard that I’d been chosen, there was a huge celebration for me. The mayor gave me the key to the city. I wasn’t even a Wonderbolt yet, but I was the first one to get a chance to be one! I was determined to make it at any cost. Besides, I’m pretty awesome. I knew I’d be fine.

I was standing next to Rainbow Dash that first day. The other pegasi were weak and started crying when Spitfire got tough, but she stuck it out just like me. We were the only ones who could do 500 laps without breaking a sweat. I thought we’d be good friends. That night we compared our best pranks—she’d pulled an awesome one on this uptight unicorn friend of hers, but that couldn’t top my story of putting itching powder in my brother’s wingbrush. He couldn’t fly more than two feet without scratching himself sick!

The next day, Rainbow Dash and I got the best scores on the Dizzitron. I was a little slower at straightening myself out, but I had the Dizzitron set to so much higher, so really, we were about the same. So, the two of us got a break and got to watch everypony else fail. It was hilarious. Rainbow Dash and I figured that we should be made Wonderbolts right away. All we needed was Spitfire to notice us.

We got put on the same team for the rest of camp. I was the lead pony, of course, and Rainbow Dash was my wingpony. It was pretty awesome, putting the two best ponies together to make the best team. I knew we’d smoke everypony else. Rainbow Dash disappeared for a little bit after finding out she was my wingpony, but then she came back to the field ready to go.

So our first task as a team was to do a flag hunt. Rainbow Dash turned out to be great at spotting flags. I flew down as fast as I could to get them—I knew she could keep up, so I didn’t have to hold back for her. So it surprised me when she whined a little bit about her wing hurting. She should have been able to get over a little pain and kept being awesome. But we won, so it was okay.

The next day, we had to do this air obstacle course. It was so easy, but we got stuck behind a pair of slowpokes. As soon as I could, I sped past them, Rainbow Dash right next to me. Even though she stayed with me, she complained later that we might have hurt those other ponies! I mean, who cares? It wasn’t about helping anypony else, it was about proving we were better. And we were—Spitfire let us go early because we finished the course so fast.

Then, we had to do some silly cloud-busting competition. I knew we’d beat this with no problem—Rainbow Dash had told me earlier that she could clear a sky in ten seconds flat. It was cool, but not cool enough. We weren’t the only ponies kicking the clouds away. So we had to do something better. I started creating a tornado that would blow away all the clouds—but Rainbow Dash didn’t follow my lead! Instead, she went to rescue some ponies that showed up in a balloon. I mean, sure, I’m glad she managed to save them, but someone else would have! We could have totally lost points because she broke formation!

Rainbow Dash started yelling at me for being reckless or whatever. I didn’t get it. I thought she wanted to be the best team, but she was already forgetting who was lead pony and who was just wingpony! Besides, Spitfire was on my side. But then Rainbow Dash quit, and Spitfire felt bad or something, so she made her lead pony instead. And I got nothing.

I did all I could to be the best, and in the end, I failed because that one pony screwed up everything for me! If it wasn’t for her, I’d be a Wonderbolt right now. Instead, I’m here, and I’ll never even be able to go back to the Academy!

--

“Yeah, that sounds like Rainbow Dash,” Gilda said. “Seems cool, but then she’s just as lame as anyone else.”

“And it’s like she didn’t even get that she screwed up!” Lightning Dust said, clearly still upset. “My dream was ruined and she got to go back and party with her friends.”

“It’s not as though your dream was that big of a deal,” Trixie said. “You had a home to go back to.”

“You weren’t turned to stone,” Discord remarked.

Lightning Dust frowned. “None of you get it. Rainbow Dash is terrible, and this is important.”