• Published 4th Apr 2016
  • 1,781 Views, 60 Comments

Ticket's Taken - Bed Head



It's time for the Grand Galloping Gala! But who's going to take Twilight?

  • ...
1
 60
 1,781

Chapter 4

What am I doing?!

Twilight had no answer for the thought. She was far too busy pushing her legs for as much speed as they could muster. No easy task as the question continued to pound away in her skull. Not even the wind whipping at her ear fins as she ran could drown it out. It took all her focus just to keep her legs moving, and for her claws to clutch the white envelope to her chest…

STOP!

Pain radiated through Twilight's middle as her stomach clenched, forcing her to stumble to a halt. The purple reptile doubled over, her chest heaving in and out. A futile attempt to draw in air which did nothing to keep her vision from beginning to darken and blur.

"I... but..."

Twilight could barely get her mouth to work. Her eyes traveled down, locking on the letter she carried so tightly. The only thing her gaze seemed willing to focus on. Her guts immediately twisted again. Twilight grimaced, knowing full well the cause of the pain. She doubted the ink on the RSVP card in the envelope was even dry yet. She could still picture each droplet of the glistening black mark she'd made.

And it's in the wrong spot!

Twilight grit her teeth. The envelope crinkled threateningly as her grip on it tightened.

You know what you need to do.

One claw lifted as Twilight bit down on the inside of her cheek. Its tip pressed against the corner of the envelope.

Change it.

Her paw tensed. Twilight's eyes widened as her claw twitched, eager to rip down through the paper.

Gritting her teeth, she forced it to hold still.

Change it!

"No..." Twilight growled.

The mental prodding stopped.

Twilight blinked as the nagging thoughts fell silent for the first time since she'd sealed the letter. Slowly, she drew in a breath as she eased her grip on the letter, moving her claw back down to her side.

"I won't change it..." she muttered, swallowing hard to try and soothe her dry throat. "This... this is fine."

Her vision was shifting back into focus. Even the pain in her middle was fading as she pulled herself upright again. Color and light were bleeding back into the work as a small smirk crawled across her muzzle.

But think about—

"Think about what?" she asked, cutting off the whimper from the back of her mind. "I'm doing the right thing."

She didn't need to open the envelope. All she had to do was picture what it contained and she felt her resolve bolster, forcing her protesting conscience back into silence. Even so, she did feel tempted for an instant to rip the paper away and look at her handiwork one last time. To see that golden ticket tucked neatly inside, its RSVP card filed behind it and filled out by her own paw.

Thank you for the invitation.

__ I will be attending

X_ I can not attend due to the following reasons: Previous engagement

"Rarity was selfish. She didn't care who she was taking this ticket from." Twilight's feet started moving again as she spoke. "Thunderlane had the right idea. It's better if this thing isn't around!"

The dragon lifted her gaze, her face blossoming into a full-blown smile. The houses and other buildings of Ponyville weren't much further. Peeking out over all of them was the face of the town's clock tower. Its hands ticked inexorably forward, already pushed well past the five-o'clock mark.

"Plus this way, she and Spike can both learn a little lesson," Twilight said, a small giggle slipping out. "Something about being more considerate before they just make plans with my ticket."

Her mind was quiet. Peaceful, in fact, even though she knew there wasn't much time. She could already see the distant plumes of steam moving down the town's railroad tracks. Her scaly body felt light, and strangely powerful, as she broke into a run.

The dragoness had one last stop to make.


Five-thirty had to be Parcel Post's favorite time of the day.

Not that the beige, lanky earth stallion had anything against his job of course. The mark on his flank showed a postage stamp with a heart on it for a reason. But even with a special talent for sorting and delivering mail all around Ponyville, there was no feeling that quite matched the end of a hard day's work.

This day was certainly no exception. The post-stallion had a tired smile on his face as he locked the door to the Ponyville Post Office. It was with an almost regretful sigh that he turned around, looking at the cart that awaited him. One with two hefty looking sacks full of letters sitting in it.

Just one last stop.

With a reaffirming nod, Parcel slipped into the harness for the cart. The scrawny pony grunted as his legs went to work, the cart slowly beginning to roll with him.

"Hey Parcel! Wait a second!"

The stallion stumbled to a halt as he heard the voice. Thankfully his load hadn't gained much momentum, only gently bumping against his flanks before coming to a halt. Putting his best smile back on, he looked towards the incoming voice. Unlike how most ponies would probably react, his smile actually widened a bit as he saw something with claws and scales charging down the road towards him.

"Oh! Well hi there Miss Twilight!" he said, as Ponyville's new librarian skidded to a halt in front of him.

"Hiya, Parcel!" Twilight was panting, but it did nothing to wipe the rather eager smile from her face. "Say, that wouldn't happen to be the mail cart for Canterlot, would it?"

Parcel glanced over his shoulder to the load he carried. A proud smile of his own formed as he looked back to the dragon with a nod.

"Well as a matter of fact, it is," he said, straightening the lapels of his uniform. "Just on my way to get it on the five-forty to the Canterlot Central Post Office, in fact!"

"Perfect!" Twilight cheered, suddenly hopping up and grabbing a nearby lamppost so she was eye-level with the stallion. "Because that's exactly where this letter needs to go!"

Parcel flinched back, barely avoiding Twilight's paw colliding with his face. His eyes crossed as they tried to focus on the white envelope that was suddenly at the end of his muzzle. Even with his vision blurring from the effort, he could make out the golden ink on the front. Much like a set he'd seen in a certain mailmare's deliveries earlier that morning.

"Oh, that's Gala stuff, isn't it?" he guessed, smiling as Twilight nodded in confirmation. "Wow, you should have seen Ditzy Doo when she realized what she had! If she wasn't so set on bringing her daughter, I might've asked—"

"Um, Parcel?" Twilight interrupted, waving her letter. "I really hate to be rude, but it's super important this gets to Canterlot. Like, today."

Parcel had to take a step back as Twilight almost shoved the letter into his mouth. His smile faded, a frown quickly taking his place as he looked at the little dragon. Somehow, the smile she was giving him had something unnerving in it. Possibly the way all of her sharp little fangs were on display, even as her tail wagged eagerly.

"Uh, well... technically the post-office is already closed." Parcel's eyes darted away from Twilight, and his heart nearly stopped as they landed on the distant clock tower. "A-and the train for Canterlot leaves in less than ten minutes!"

He was turning away from Twilight before he'd even realized it. The distant sound of a train whistle pushed any worries about manners from his mind, however.

"There's a lot of processing and sorting that a letter's supposed to go through before it gets sent!" he said, feeling an odd sense of relief break over him as he started to walk. "I'm sorry, Twilight, but that'll probably have to wait for tomorrow's mail—"

He came to an immediate halt as a scaly purple roadblock suddenly dashed in front of him again.

"Alright, yeah I know that! And I'm sorry it's so late!" Twilight's eyes were wide. Almost desperate as she held out the envelope again. "But... well it's about Spike's Gala ticket and I promised I'd take care of the RSVP while he was busy and I don't want to disappoint him!"

Parcel stifled the frustrated sigh before it could escape. As much as he wanted to push past and be relieved of his burden, he couldn't tear his eyes away from the distraught dragon. Especially as her lower lip began to quiver a bit.

"Well..." he said, reaching out with one hoof. "I mean, I guess it won't hurt anything just this once..."

"Great, thanks!"

His leg stung as a purple paw slapped across it. Parcel winced, first from the pain, then from the cloud of dust that was suddenly kicked into his face. By the time he'd waved it away and could open his eyes fully, Twilight was gone. Only a faint shimmer of sun off distant purple scales could be seen cresting the hill back towards Town Square.

"Uh... You're welcome?" He shook his head and looked to the letter he'd been given. "I guess..."

The distant whistle sounded again, and Parcel's heart skipped a beat. He didn't even bother to check the time as he broke into a gallop, the cart rattling behind him. There was no time to worry about proper procedure or sorting.

And certainly none to think about the oddly malicious smirk on Twilight's face right before she'd run off.


Done and done!

Twilight breathed out a very pleased sigh. The first in hours that hadn't had any smoke or sparks of flame mixed in. Her feet finally slowed to a more leisurely pace as she glanced over her shoulder towards the clock tower.

"Five-thirty-five," Twilight whispered to herself as she walked. "The mail train leaves in just five minutes!"

And takes Spike's ticket back to Canterlot with it!

"Heh..."

A grin crawled across her face once again as a short chuckle slipped from her mouth.

"Heh heh heh..."

Followed closely by another one as she steepled her claws.

"Heh heh... Ha ha ha... AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Her shoulders shook as the laughter fully broke loose. Nothing but blue sky filled her vision as she threw her head back. She was rising along with her mirth, straight into the heavens above...

"Mommy, why is she laughing like that?"

“Honey, it’s rude to stare…”

Twilight blinked, her senses suddenly grounding themselves again. A dark blush colored her cheeks as she looked around, noticing the few other ponies on the street. Stallions on their way home from work, a mare and her filly carrying bags of groceries, all of them staring wide-eyed directly at her.

"Aheh... d-don't mind me!" Twilight cleared her throat, feet shuffling slowly to the side. "Just, uh, remembered something funny... is all..."

Most of them seemed satisfied with the answer. At the very least, they stopped looking at her and began walking again. That didn't change the fact that Twilight could feel her face burning. Her eyes darted to the side, locking onto the largest object they could find. With the smallest feeling of relief, she spotted a fountain in the middle of the plaza and immediately scampered towards it.

"Alright, get it together, Twilight..." she coached herself, panting to catch her breath as she reached her goal.

She glanced around one last time. Confirming the ponies from before were gone, Twilight's paw dashed into the fountain's pool, splashing cool water across her face. Her blush faded as she let out a long, slow breath and lifted her gaze once more.

"I still need to get home," she told herself as she wiped the water from her eyes. "Oh, and think about what I'm going to tell—"

Her voice came to a sudden halt.

Not due to anypony else speaking, but simply because her heart had suddenly lodged itself in her throat.

"S-Spike?!" Was the only thing she could wheeze out.

Her grip on the fountain slipped. With a short yelp, Twilight found herself laying flat on her back behind the fountain. She barely noticed the fresh ache, however, jumping back to her feet in an instant. Her pulse raced as she braced against the plaza's centerpiece, her breath coming in shallow gulps. Cautiously she leaned out, the tips of her head spines barely peeking over the edge of the pool.

Her eyes widened, still unable to believe just what they were seeing. But there was no mistaking it. No matter how many times she blinked or rubbed her eyes the purple unicorn was still there, trotting into Town Square with his head down, the brim of his fedora hiding his eyes.

Twilight's breath caught in her throat as she ducked back down. Both paws clamped over her mouth, stifling the confused squeaks her voice kept trying to produce. Not that it mattered, since her heart was pounding so hard she was certain the stallion could hear it along with the multitude of questions flying through her head.

What's he doing here?

Did he notice the ticket's gone?!

Is he looking for me!?!

Clack, clack, clack

Twilight's thoughts froze as the sound of hoofsteps caught her attention. Ones that were getting dangerously close to her hiding place.

CLACK, CLACK, CLACK

She squeezed her eyes shut. Spike was just on the other side of the fountain from her. Just a few steps away from discovering her...

Clack, clack, clack...

Slowly, one eye opened. Twilight released the breath she'd been holding as the hoofsteps took a sudden turn. They were growing more distant, marching right past the far side of the fountain without slowing down.

Huh?

Unable to find any reason to deny the curious thought, Twilight carefully peeked out once again.

Spike was, indeed, still walking. The unicorn's gaze was firmly on the ground, his mouth moving slowly as though he were muttering to himself. Almost as though he didn't even realize that anypony else could be around him.

Clack, clack, CLUNK!

"Ow..."

Or anything else for that matter. Twilight winced as Spike picked himself back up, rubbing his forehead and casting a glare at the lamppost he'd just collided with. The unicorn's scowl faded quickly however, and he sidestepped around the offending light fixture. He didn't even give it a second look as he resumed walking again.

"I-I don't get it," Twilight whispered, one claw scratching her head in confusion. "What is he even doing..."

Her voice trailed off again as her gaze moved. This time looking a bit ahead of the unicorn, following the path his hooves seemed locked to. Twilight could feel the heat start to build in her face again as she saw the building that waited at the end of it.

"Oh," she grumbled as she dropped back to her rear. "Of course."

The sudden clarity had reignited her inner fire, sending more smoke seeping from her nostrils. Twilight easily recognized the building, with its pink-patterned roof and blue walls. Almost like it was trying too hard to both blend in with and stand out from the smaller tents that neighbored it.

Carousel Boutique

"Which means he's probably on his way to see Rarity." Twilight's mouth pulled into a scowl as she crossed her arms. "Probably to talk about their plans for the Gala, hmmph..."

Twilight clambered back to her feet, brushing road dust from her scales before leaning from her hiding spot one last time. Spike stood in front of Rarity's place of business, his knees trembling nonstop. He didn't even glance in the little dragon's direction as she slid from her hiding spot. Twilight's scowl faded, replaced with a small smile as she headed for the road Spike had just come down. She could already see the boughs of the Golden Oaks Library rising in the distance.

Clack, clack, clack

She stopped, however, as a trio of knocks echoed from behind her. Glancing over her shoulder, she could see Spike pulling his hoof away from the boutique's front door. Even from a distance, she could see the sweat on his face and the frown on his muzzle. Twilight's claws knitted together as her ear fins twitched, barely picking up the sound of the unicorn's wheezing breath.

"Of course..." she muttered, dropping to all fours as she bit her lip. "It couldn't hurt to find out what he's up to..."

Moving on the tips of her claws, Twilight scurried towards her friend. His attention remained completely focused on the purple door before him, still. He barely seemed conscious of anything else around him.

Twilight still held her breath, just to be safe, as she crawled into a nearby clump of bushes.


Clack, clack, clack

"Just a miiii-nute!"

Spike closed his eyes as the sing-song voice carried from beyond the door. A significant part of him had been praying nopony would answer. That he could just turn around and head back to the library.

The sharp pain of him biting down on the inside of his cheek quickly silenced that part.

Just gotta talk to Rarity.

The stallion nodded, his mouth pulled into a tight line.

Alone.

He stopped nodding. Spike's ears fell flat as he suddenly became very aware of how loud his heart was beating.

Alone. With Rarity. Nopony else.

Spike couldn't hear his heartbeat anymore. Likely because it had shuddered to a halt as the realization sunk in. He was hard pressed to miss the noise, however, as a thousand other thoughts suddenly crowded the stallion's skull. His eyes darted to his faint reflection in one of the windows, magic sparking in a futile attempt to flatten his spiky mane, adjust his hat, remove some of the nervous sweat from his brow...

Click

Then, with the soft sound of a turning knob, the door opened. Spike's magic immediately fizzled out, along with his churning thoughts. Both were replaced with a blissfully fuzzy feeling in his head at the sight of the lovely white mare who awaited on the other side.

"If you're here for a design or fitting then I'm very sorry, but we're closing soon and—" Rarity cut herself off, one hoof flying to her mouth. "Spike! Oh, what a pleasant surprise!"

"Uh... uh..." Spike couldn't quite get his mouth to work. It was too busy stretching into a dopey grin as his eyelids started to droop. "Uh huh, uh, surprise..."

He knew there had been something he'd needed to say. Whatever it had been was gone, replaced by only a slight needling sensation at the back of his mind. One that he had no trouble ignoring as a perfectly polished hoof beckoned to him, his eyes swaying to follow its gentle motions.

"Well don't just stand outside! Please, come in!" Rarity was saying, her eyelashes fluttering as she spoke. "I must say you have exquisite timing. I was just thinking about you..."

Spike's eyes flew wide. He could feel his heart stop all over again.

"Y-you were?" he managed to ask.

He wasn't dreaming. The feeling of Rarity's tail gently flicking under his chin was all too real. As was her smile and the way she tilted her head for him to follow as she walked further into the boutique. Already, one of his hooves was rising to follow her.

"Of course, I was, silly," she said with a soft giggle. "I was about to start working on our Gala outfits, and I'd love to have your input!"

Just like that, reality came crashing back in around Spike. Slowly, his leg lowered back to the ground.

The Gala...

"A-actually, Miss Rarity..." Spike swallowed hard, trying to dislodge the lump he could feel forming in his throat. "I kinda needed to talk to you about that."

"Oh, I can only imagine," Rarity said, not even glancing back as her magic began levitating paper and pencils from a nearby desk. "If you're even half as excited as I am..."

"Uh..." Spike's mouth slowly drifted shut.

Focus...

He tried to take a deep breath. A task made all the more difficult as Rarity kept talking. Though the words were blurring together, their meaning was clear.

Joy

Anticipation

And, worst of all, heaping amounts of gratitude directed entirely at him.

Just say it.

Despite his brain's order, the stallion's jaw refused to loosen from around his tongue.

Say it

"I know! Why don't you stay for supper so we..."

Rarity had still been talking, until she turned to face him again. Her excited smile quickly faded, likely because she'd noticed the sweat beading on his brow.

Say. It.

"Spike?" Rarity was getting closer, her eyes and voice both full of worry. "Spike, is everything—"

JUST SPIT IT OUT!

"I'M SORRY BUT I CAN'T TAKE YOU TO THE GALA!"

"WHAT?!"

Spike's head snapped to the side. For a brief second he could have sworn that the clump of bushes nearby had just shouted. In a very familiar voice, at that. His confusion over the issue was quickly forgotten, however, as he heard the harsh crackle of failing magic.

"I... excuse me?"

Rarity's stunned voice yanked his attention from the shrubbery. Just like that, Spike realized what he'd finally managed to say. He could feel his entire body going numb as he turned back towards his hostess.

The sight was just as bad as he'd expected. The pencils and sketch paper Rarity had picked up now lay scattered on the floor around her. She didn't even seem to notice the mess however. Not with the way her blue eyes were drilling into his own.

"I'm sorry, Spike, I-I think I misheard you," Rarity said, slowly removing her hoof from over her mouth. "It sounded as though you just... rescinded the Gala invitation you offered me."

"I... well... It's not like I don't want to bring you!" Spike's throat was hurting, but he had to shout to hear anything over his own ragged breathing. "I love—"

His voice cut out. Rarity was still staring at him in disbelief, her head tilted quizzically in his direction. Spike's jaw simply flapped open and shut for a few seconds, his face suddenly blisteringly hot even as the rest of his body was shivering.

"I love... the idea," he finally said with a feeble sigh. "Of going to the Gala. With you."

A low groan escaped Spike's throat as his eyes dropped to his hooves. Suddenly he just wanted to turn around and run until Ponyville, maybe even all of Equestria, was nothing but a distant speck behind him.

He couldn't run fast or far enough to escape the approaching hooves, however. A set of ivory-white legs slowly walked into view. He put up no resistance as a soft blue light shone under his chin, lifting his gaze to meet Rarity's misty eyes.

"Spike..." Even if her voice was little more than a whisper, it still rang through his ears. Carrying a question that sent his pulse racing anew. "Is... is it another woman?"

"NO! I-well, kinda b-but she's-it's not—" Spike winced in pain as he nearly bit his tongue, his fumbling mouth finally managing to force out two words. "It's Twilight..."

Something in the bushes made a noise again. This time he was sure of it. Spike didn't even glance at the shrubbery, however. He was too busy watching as Rarity dried her eyes, her brow furrowing.

"Twilight?" she repeated, sniffling a bit and raising one eyebrow. "Your assistant?"

"Y-yeah... b-but it's not like that, I promise!" Spike said, shaking his head so hard his fedora nearly went flying away. "I just... it's..."

The magical grip on his chin had faded, and Spike started pacing. At least, he assumed that he had. It was the only explanation he could think of for why the blurry world around him kept shifting. Yet somehow he could feel his thoughts growing clearer, even as everything else faded into a fuzzy mess.

"I've known Twi almost as long as I can remember," he said, a small smile crossing his face. "And she's always worked hard for me."

He could almost see the memories as they floated past. Climbing out of bed to the smell of fresh coffee and seeing the smiling, scaly face waiting in the kitchen. The bright flash of her camera as he focused on the pony he was speaking to....

Each way he looked, there was Twilight. Sweeping, writing, organizing, or even laying a blanket across his sleepy shoulders.

"Spike—"

"The moment I got that ticket, I knew I had a chance to pay her back." Spike's smile faded as he looked down at his forehoof, almost seeing the glitter of gold there. "She doesn't usually like parties, but she always loved reading stuff about the Gala."

"Spike...."

"B-but then you started talking about wanting to go, and I got... overexcited," Spike went on, ignoring both the soft voice and the feeling of his conscience kicking the back of his skull. "And Twilight said it was okay, but I know when she's just saying that when things really aren't, so I thought a lot about it and—"

A white blob was in front of him when next he turned. His babbling came to a halt as one of its hooves gently pressed over his mouth. Spike blinked, his vision suddenly pulling itself back into focus.

Though he nearly melted into a blob himself upon realizing that Rarity was actually touching him.

"Spike, don't say another word," she ordered.

The stern tone of her voice drove the pleasure from Spike's mind. His eyes drifted down again as she lowered her hoof, his mind going silent. Already he was resigned to his fate. No amount of bracing could prepare him for whatever Rarity was about to unleash.

"I understand completely."

"Y-yeah, that's what—" Spike's voice choked to a halt, his head snapping back up. "Wait, you do?!"

The question was answered as soon as he laid eyes on Rarity. Even with a silk handkerchief dabbing at the corners of her eyes, she was still smiling and nodding.

"I suppose it's obvious that you care about Twilight," Rarity said, her voice a bit choked as she tried to clear her throat. "I think most of the market place figured that out at least..."

Spike coughed a bit, trying very hard to keep the blush from his cheeks. A task he failed spectacularly at when one of Rarity's hooves reached up and gently brushed against his cheek.

"If you want to show Twilight how much you appreciate her by bringing her as your guest..." Rarity let out a small sigh as she lowered her hoof again. "Well, who am I to stand in the way?"

"Y-you mean it?" Spike's eyes went wide as Rarity nodded her head once more. "That's great! I-I mean... N-not great great, but she's gonna... I'm just sorry about—"

"If anypony should apologize, it's me," Rarity cut him off, her smile fading to a guilty grimace. "I didn't even consider whether you already had plans for your ticket before... hinting that I'd like to go with you."

Spike's mouth clamped shut. He could already feel his chest swelling with barely contained joy. It took everything he had to force it back down, along with the internal cheers of "She really wanted to go with me!"

"It's not your fault, Miss Rarity!" he insisted, perhaps a bit louder than was necessary. "I'm the one who didn't tell you—"

"No, no! Don't try to make me feel better. I nearly kept a little girl from the greatest night of her life!" Rarity said, shaking one hoof in his face. "If bowing out is the only way I can fix it, then so be it."

"I-I don't know what to say," Spike rambled out, before realizing what a fib that was. "Thank you! You have no idea how much this is gonna mean to her—"

A soft smek sound and a brush of heat against the tip of his nose interrupted him. Spike's voice died in his throat, his entire body suddenly white-hot as Rarity's muzzle pulled away from his own with a smile.

"I think you've said more than enough, Spike," she said, a soft giggle slipping out as one hoof gently pushed against his chest. "Now, why don't you run along and tell Twilight the good news?"

"I... uh..." Spike couldn't protest or resist. His body felt as light as a balloon, drifting backwards at the mare's soft touch. "Uh huh..."

His legs slowly floated back to the ground. The dopey grin still stretched his muzzle as Rarity waved from the doorway of Carousel Boutique. It was with great reluctance, and a soft push from her magic, that he found himself turning back towards the plaza.

"Oh, and one more thing!"

Spike's neck nearly snapped with how fast he tried to look over his shoulder.

"Do make sure you bring Twilight here for her Gala dress," Rarity said, an eager smile on her face. "I've never had the chance to design one for a dragon before!"

"W-will do!" Spike cheered, his hooves already moving. "And thanks again!"

Rarity was calling out her own farewells, but Spike didn't look back. He didn't even bother to look at the clock tower for the time. His legs felt lighter than they had all day as he took off down the street.


"Aaah... he really is a sweet guy..."

Rarity still had her smile as she watched Spike run off. Her sketchbook floated next to her, gently fanning her face. With one final sigh, the unicorn straightened her posture once more and turned back inside.

"Well, a mare's work is never done," she said as she marched inside. "Oooh, and I'm still going to have at least a dozen designs to make with all the Gala invitations floating around!"

With a gentle clack, the door to Carousel Boutique was closed once again.

That same sound was like a signal to Twilight's numb body. The dragon's claws fell back to her sides, letting the boughs of the bush close around her again. For a few seconds, all she could do was stand stock-still, the last few minutes repeating over and over in her head.

"He changed his mind," she finally muttered.

Her purple eyes were going wide. The knot that had been sitting in her stomach all day suddenly vanished, and a short chuckle came floating out. Followed quickly by another.

"H-he changed his mind! Heh.. heh heh...." Twilight couldn't hold back the laughter as a huge smile broke across her face. "Spike changed his mind! Th-that means... that means..."

I GET TO GO TO THE GRAND GALLOPING GALA!!!

The world exploded into fireworks around her as the thought rang through her head.

"YES!" Twilight shouted, not caring who heard or saw her as she jumped clear out of the bush. "YESYESYESYESYESYES—"

VROOOO-VROOOOO

Twilight froze in mid-air, her ear fins flapping in the breeze. Off in the distance she could hear the unmistakable sound of a train whistle. For one brief instant, she wondered why she'd noticed.

And then her veins turned to ice.

"Oh no..." she gasped.

Horrified, purple eyes darted upward. Inwardly, Twilight was praying that she was wrong. But she could clearly remember everything she'd done. Writing on the card, stuffing it and the ticket into their envelope, handing it off to Parcel Post, and eagerly watching the clock tower...

Whose hands now pointed to five-forty.

"NO!" Twilight screamed.

She was on the ground before she even realized it. A trail of magenta fire sprang up in her wake as she ran faster than she'd ever thought she could. The train station wasn't far. In fact, it was already coming into view.

Just in time for Twilight to see the tail end of a train pulling away from the platform.

"No!" she shouted, pushing her paws harder. "Come back!"

The massive steam engine either didn't hear her or didn't care. Neither did anypony else as she darted onto the platform and charged after it.

"Please!" Her lungs were burning, and she could barely see with the way her eyes were watering. "P-please..."

Gasping for breath, Twilight stumbled to a halt as she reached the end of the loading platform. Her foot claws dangled over the edge, one paw still stretching out as if it could grab the train as it sped away.

A futile effort. The last car was already shrinking into the distance. Racing towards the towering mountain to the north and the city that sat atop it.

"No..." she muttered. "Th-the ticket..."

The early evening sun was already dying the side of the mountain. From down in Ponyville, the ancient spires of Canterlot seemed to change from marble to gold. Almost as if they were taunting the little dragon as she fell to her knees, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"B-but... I..."

She couldn't even get a whimper past the rock lodged in her throat. The whole world was collapsing into a blur of tears around Twilight as she toppled onto her side. Only a few quiet sobs escaped as she wrapped her arms around her knees and her tail curled over her feet.

"No, no, no, no..." she whispered, not even bothering to try and dry her eyes. "Oh... this can't get any worse..."

Oh yes it can.

The tears immediately came to a stop.

Slowly, Twilight pushed herself back up. The taste of dread was thick in the back of her throat as she turned back towards the town.

She swallowed hard as her eyes locked on the upper boughs of a grand old oak tree peeking over the surrounding rooftops.

I still have to tell Spike...