• Published 15th Mar 2016
  • 5,563 Views, 261 Comments

As a Family - Dashzilla93



Scootaloo is no longer an orphan and is peacefully back in the caring watch of her mother, Fluttershy. However, Scootaloo ultimately asks her a complicated question: who's her father?

  • ...
8
 261
 5,563

A Moment Of Bittersweet Peace

Yesterday night; hours before the morning sun

It happened so suddenly yet ended so quickly. If Discord hadn't sensed what was going on and never told her, she wouldn't have known about the catastrophe that took place. She was relieved that she'd returned when she did; not only her but Ember and Discord, too. It just hurt her knowing that she wasn't on time, sadly. She didn't know how long it had been since they got back, but images of the battlefield were more than enough to give her a clear answer. She was grateful ponies pitched in to help remove Marabunda from their town and away from other civilians, but she didn't feel too keen on giving that monster a proper burial. She would've preferred to see it burn in dragon fire right down to the bone. She snarled in agitation but quickly refrained herself before taking slow, deep breaths and then exhaling. As much as she'd want that to happen, Fluttershy wouldn't have been too happy with her. Much to her perspective of the beast, Marabunda was still an animal and it wouldn't be wise to burn a 'pained' soul -- according to Fluttershy.

Twilight walked into her room and sat in the center, still pondering about what happened. Why ponies wanted a chance to look at their attacker before its burial was beyond her, but denying them of curiosity would've been a bad move if she decided that. But, as she looked back on it, she couldn't help but remember the words Fluttershy told her.

'So, why bury this monster, Fluttershy?' Twilight asked standing next to Fluttershy as Marabunda's body was buried, not really understanding Fluttershy's logic here. 'You do realize this thing attacked Ponyville and caused so much havoc, right?'

It just didn't make sense to her. Of all the things to choose, a burial seemed too merciful for such a murderous creature like Marabunda. She looked over to Fluttershy confused, but Fluttershy simply nodded to her.

'Yes, I know Marabunda did horrible things to us,' Fluttershy said. "But, like you and I, he was a living creature." She softly smiled at her friend, feeling happy about the burial. 'And every creature deserves a chance for peace and kindness. Even in spirit, Marabunda needed that kindness so he could rest in peace because he never got that in his life.' Her smile slowly dropped to a pained frown.

Despite all that happened, Fluttershy wished she could've been there to help Marabunda when he was still in his right mind. She could've imagined how he'd turned out if she helped him. But, there was only one her and no one else. She cursed at herself for not being as fast as Rainbow Dash or Soarin or Spitfire.

Twilight noticed the pain and sorrow in Fluttershy's eyes. She didn't know why but what she did know was that she wasn't as knowledgeable about animals as Fluttershy was. So, whatever Fluttershy saw made her wonder.

'You saw something about that Manticore, didn't you?' Twilight asked. 'What did you see?'

Fluttershy wiped a tear from her eye and sniffed a bit before she said to Twilight, 'Anger. Bitterness. Rage. Pain.' That's all Fluttershy could see and it was more than enough for her to get a read on what Marabunda's life was like up until this point. 'Like all animals, no matter what kind, each one tells a story in their own way. And Marabunda's story was nothing but that. He survived for so long and lost so much that he took it out on everything and didn't care if it hurt others. All he wanted was for others to feel his pain. And in the end, he became rogue.'

Twilight was awestruck by that. So, this whole time, Marabunda wanted nothing more than revenge? And Fluttershy picked that up just by looking at his eyes? Hmm, she may not understand animals as well as her, but the thought of being in such a state for so long did allow her to have just a little bit of pity for the creature. As crazy as that might sound, she wasn't gonna object to it since other crazy things have happened in Equestria. But, a few questions now lingered...

'I see. Then, why did he come here? How did he get here?'

Twilight noticed Fluttershy's sorrowful eyes turn into fiery anger as she looked at Marabunda's grave. Unlike the manticore who was ultimately labeled as a monster by others before, the real monster was the one who summoned him. And she had a sickening feeling she up and left the moment the fight with Harry and Marabunda took place.

'You wanna know, Twilight? I'll gladly tell you...'

Her teeth gritted as a rageful snarl formed. The story Fluttershy told her made Twilight's blood boil. After the burial, things nearly went out of control. Civilians were scared now knowing rogue animals existed. Unlike fighting bad guys like changelings, griffons, and centaurs, calming down a scared crowd was another. It took her, her uninjured friends, and Mayor Mare everything they could to settle the citizens of Ponyville down after this whole would-be crisis situation had finally died down. They were lucky enough that no one was dumb enough to start a riot, but that didn't save them from seeing the fear, worry, hesitation, and anxiety in their eyes. She saw it all and it rang like a death bell. She knew what they all were thinking and she had to enforce it on them that they were safe, again. That she'd be the one to protect them like how Celestia and Luna protected Equatria; she vowed it to them. And that thankfully calmed them down.

Although with him under the ground, everypony who saw Marabunda still thought for a moment he was gonna rise again like some kind of self-made zombie. As silly as that might sound, Twilight had to be firm with them and told all of them that everything was going to be fine now. Marabunda was dead and everything would be back to normal. And after that, the storm started to settle.

Twilight stamped her hoof and growled angrily. Or was it ever gonna be?!

Twilight scowled and glared death daggers at the window showing Ponyville. Would everything truly be safe? Would normal ever come back? She eyed the small town like a spotlight trying to find a hidden intruder. Even though repairs were underway, she looked at the spot where the fight took place and could only feel her frustration build the more she looked at it; then her frustration grew into seething rage. The story Fluttershy told her; about that 'hidden intruder' who ran away with her husband after the fight. If she knew where she was, she'd gladly get her hooves around her neck and strangle her for the treacherous choice she had made.

Not only did Spoiled Rich use her own daughter to somehow bring in a rogue animal into Ponyville, have it harm others, harm her friends, and destroy property, all for the sake of hurting their 'reputation', but ... Spike was involved in the fight and he got hurt, badly.

The image of Spike injured threw Twilight into a pained frenzy. She growled out loud and stomped her hooves multiple times on the crystallized floor so hard, that one could easily assume and mistake it for the sound of thunder, "That stupid mare!" Twilight roared as she ignited her horn with magic and threw books and furniture around her room, destroying half of the stuff that was thrown. Her assistant, her family, her only son! Spike was injured and the one who hurt him got away!

Fluttershy was right. Marabunda wasn't the real monster, Spoiled Rich was. And because of her, it was gonna take days or weeks for peace to come back to Ponyville. If she finds Spoiled Rich... when she finds Spoiled Rich, there will be no pony that'll save her from her wrath.

A sudden poof lightly manifested into the room and out came a familiar Frankenstein-ish, noodle body. That heavy stamp and loud roars sure didn't go unnoticed.

"My, My, Twilight. If it was a bug you were trying to stomp on, I don't think Fluttershy would've appreciated her friend stomping on one of her animal friends," Discord joked a bit darkly as he floated casually in the air like a serpent before letting out a silly little chuckle to lighten the mood. Only, instead of lightening that mood like he wanted, he found Twilight's room almost completely destroyed like a tornado took a small visit. His attempt became fruitless when the only response he got from her was an unamused, one-eyed glare with aqua-blue flames briefly around it. Twilight was in no mood for any of Discord's shenanigans, and he knew it.

Seeing that horrifying sight quickly made him rethink what he wanted to say next. He understood the message, so he had to tread lightly and carefully. He snapped his finger and poofed himself next to Twilight, laying next to her almost cat-like. Now he was worried and concerned about her.

Discord looked at her thoroughly without saying a word. From how she was behaving and the mess she made, and with how the current situation was with Ponyville, he could only guess as to why she lashed out the way she did. Twilight was not happy, that was obvious, but if he could read her mind, he'd say, "She sure rattled your chains, didn't she? If you'd like, I could –"

"Why are you here, Discord?" Twilight snapped, interrupting him before he could finish his idea. "I thought I told you to stay in the infirmary?" Like anyone else who got injured in the fight, Twilight wanted them to get medical attention – she didn't care if they were gods or not. That, and she wished to be alone.

Discord flinched at her quick outburst, but recollected himself. Now he really needed to tread lightly so he would not anger Twilight any further -- but, he wasn't going anywhere. He wasn't gonna leave Twilight alone to hurt herself. Lucky for him, he recalled having a few things in his arsenal to help calm her down, "Twilight, did you forget?" he snapped his fingers and conjured a fake first-aid kit that opened up to reveal a squirrel with a band-aid. He snapped his fingers again and poofed his creation out of existence. "I can heal myself with just a snap of my fingers." Indeed, he was all healed up like what happened earlier wasn't a big deal to him. It was all part of his powers and he relished it like he always had. That, and he wanted to show Twilight he was fine and in tip-top shape. Though he winced lightly as he could still feel the tenderness of where he got bitten. "Although… despite that, that spot is very tender still at the given moment." He pouted lightly, scolding himself for not counting on that sneaky attack. "Can't believe I left myself open like that."

His effort didn't really pass through to her, however, as that was no excuse to make Twilight feel any better. She just looked at him annoyed and she was on the brink of impatience with him. If he was here to tell her something, then he'd better make it quick because she was seconds away from booting him out of her room, "Then you better explain why you're here." she demanded from him. "I'm not in the mood to deal with any of your jokes right now." Nor was she in the mood for any of his antics, at all.

Discord awkwardly cleared his throat, finding this scenario a bit challenging. Her funny bone was clearly broken, so getting her to laugh was out of the question; plan B was next in his utility belt. He quickly threw his funny side out the window so as not to infuriate Twilight any further and make things infinitely worse; the last thing he wanted was to have another angry alicorn on his list, "Right, yes. Uh, what I'm trying to say is that I'm fine, Twilight. There's no need to worry about me. Granted, I'll be sore for a few days. Even my magic can't fix that, but it's nothing to fuss over," He was a powerful deity, after all. And as much as he wanted her to not worry about him, that was not the real fuss, however, and he knew it.

The real fuss was actually what made Twilight frustrated in the first place. And that's what Discord wanted to figure out. He knew he had to be careful with his words, but he also tried to figure out what got Twilight to go berserk. Discord felt that stomp throughout the castle and, if he were to make a highly logical guess, Fluttershy and everyone else in the castle might've felt that, too. So, it's likely they'll check up on her immediately. It was good that he tracked her down before they could; he wanted to try his hands at calming Twilight down, but he had to make this quick...

Or, buy himself all the time he needed. He raised his talon claw and snapped his fingers. Nothing happened around the area, but he made sure the two of them had privacy until he decided he was done with what he had to do.

And seeing Twilight the way she was after the whole crowd-control episode finally ended, he didn't blame her for being so upset. Discord had – no, wanted – to be a critic of the situation but couldn't express just how unnerved and appalled he himself was by it all. Seeing the crowd in total despair and sorrow, tons of frowns and furrowed brows? He didn't like it; not one bit.

Which was why he showed up first. He hoped to talk to Twilight in private because he didn't want to see her so upset. In fact, he couldn't stand seeing her upset in such a way.

"I can tell you're quite overwhelmed by what had happened earlier," he spoke, genuinely concerned about her.

Unlike Twilight who was all for teaching, Discord was all for fun and games -- especially parties. Who wouldn't love to join a party and be with friends who would enjoy a thrilling presence such as his? It's why he and Pinkie got along so well after he turned his life around and came to accept friendship. While Twilight took years to understand the lessons of friendship, it took him eons to realize how important friendship really was. And it took a few feel-good, fun-loving lessons from a party-loving mare much younger than him that there was a good side to chaos. And, funny enough, he enjoyed that kind of chaos. Not only did it bring smiles to everyone's faces. And for discovering that revelation, he secretly made himself a vow: so long as no harm befell upon others and everyone produced joyful, delighted smiles, chaos will continue to reign. And so he did just that.

Before he ever met Twilight and her friends, he enjoyed spreading chaos for his own personal gain and his own amusement – especially with his sense of humor. Laughing at others' misery and enjoying the interactions his own world brought. It brought him great amusement and he never wanted that kind of fun to end. But now, that end came and he had to adapt one way or another. In a new era, and after being knocked down a peg or two by Twilight and her friends, ponies and other creatures alike were an audience to him; a new mindset and friends by his side, whoever laughed and enjoyed the chaos he provided warmed his old heart so much. These new ways earned a lot of trust and respect from them. So much so that he truly felt accepted. It was hilarious, in a way; a sudden twist of irony. Oh, how he still giggled at that. Celestia and Luna were sure grateful for his evolution.

But, now, what he saw out there was not the kind of chaos he enjoyed; far from it. What good was it if an audience can't laugh and enjoy their day; it insulted him to no end. Ponies got hurt and he heard nothing but crying. All because of one mare and her spoiled brat. If he wanted to, he could go find those two and punish them himself. It would make things much easier for everyone else.

"Overwhelmed?" Twilight's eyes widened in surprise, if not shocked from Discord's assumption of her current situation, but that shock transformed into anger. "Overwhelmed?" She got up and walked to him as she said in a growing state of anger, "Overwhelmed is putting it mildly, Discord. Oh, I'm not overwhelmed…" With a yell as she stomped on the tile floor, allowing an echo to sound in the room and down the hall which got him to wince sharply, "I'm over-the-edge FURIOUS!!! I can't believe somepony would do this! Risking other ponies' lives to get back at one all because of some stupid squabble, and by children, no less?" It made no sense to her. Why would somepony put others at risk over some stupid, petty reason?

"And not only that... my... my..." Twilight's anger began to slip and her true feelings began to take over as she looked at Discord with teary, red eyes; her lips quivering and her body felt weak that she nearly collapsed on herself.

Discord widened his eyes in shock and lightly lunged to Twilight, wrapping his arms around her as Twilight started to cry in his fur. Wrapping himself around her carefully with his long serpentine body, Discord held Twilight when she did and he never moved a muscle. He almost dared not to even speak or breathe when she immediately wrapped her arms around his body, crying into his chest. The poor mare was in such pain and it showed. Something didn't seem right. He started to worry when he looked at her.

"Twilight, what's wrong? We know that harlot messed up, so why are you -- wait..." It wasn't until he realized it now. The rage, the pain, the regret he feels radiating off her, it all made sense to him, now. It wasn't about Spoiled, at all. "Oh…" He understood now, and looked at her with understanding and pity, "…you're upset at yourself, aren't you?"

Twilight flew her head back and looked up at Discord like she saw all of Tartarus at once and couldn't believe the horrors it held. But, the only horror she held was, "I-I should've been there sooner. If I was there, I could've ended it and my... my s-son..." She was so upset with herself that her son got hurt. And not only that, but she was also upset that he threw himself out there in harm's way. Everything happened all at once and Spike was involved in it. Her motherly side kicked the door down and threw her princess side out. Spike's safety was on the line and he got hurt through it all -- almost to the point he nearly got killed!

That not only upset her but scared her; scared her so much that if no one was able to wake her up, she could've successfully killed Marabunda herself but might've caused more harm than good. She was not in control at that moment and she started to lose herself right now. She hyperventilated so much that each quick breath sounded like the air started to crawl out from the back of her throat. And the pain she felt in her chest grew more and more intense every second.

"I... I... I want to find... Spoiled... make her pay for hurting my son, my baby!" Twilight said in a fit of rage and pain. "I want her here and --"

But a talon finger placed itself on Twilight's muzzle, stopping her in her verbal tracks. She looked confused before she looked at Discord who gestured for her to hush.

"Twilight, my sweet," Discord said as calmly as he could and gave her a reassuring smile. "It's alright. It's all over." He looked at her, calmly and tenderly. Twilight blinked a couple of times and looked at him confusedly about this change in him before he snapped his fingers and conjured a tissue box for her.

"Please, relax," he said as he wiped tears away from Twilight's eyes. "That beast is gone and Spike is still alive. Your 'baby dragon' is still out there as we speak, breathing another breath thanks to all of us" Even if Spike was growing up, Discord knew Twilight still saw him as her son; adopted or not. It was obvious from the start and he thought it was adorable -- even though he'd tease them both on occasion about it. Twilight mothering Spike just seemed so odd, and yet, who was he to judge? It was Celestia's idea to give Spike's egg to her, after all, from what Twilight told him.

Twilight's breathing began to halt and she tried to calm herself down. Discord was right. It was all over and she did all she could to help Ponyville, "B-But..." she still had a lot on her mind, and finding Spoiled was one of them. She still had a lot on her plate...

Discord shook his head with a firm pout, " 'But', nothing!" he was not gonna have Twilight put herself under any more stress. After all she's been through, she needed to relax. He softened and smiled softly, running his paw through her mane while holding her close in a comforting hug, his coils gingerly starting to rub against her body and the tuft of his tail forming a hand had starting rubbing down her back. Cooing softly, he spoke calmly to the stressed princess. "I want you to relax. You've done enough. And so has your son." That little bombshell had to be put on her for this. And Twilight's eyes widened when he said that.

"Spike?" She looked at him, surprised yet wanting to know more.

Discord chuckled at how cute Twilight looked when she was surprised, "Spike takes a lot after you, ya ever noticed that? If it wasn't for him forming that plan when he did, we could've lost so much more than what we did today." He knew there were some casualties in the fight but it could've been much worse. If anything, he had a lot of thanks from everybody.

Twilight took some thought into that. Again, Discord was right. From what she was told, Spike pulled a lot of effort to help out against Marabunda and it all stalled for time to get Fluttershy some reinforcements. Still, it scared her to death knowing the injuries he received.

She whimpered at the thought, "But, my son still got hurt. I just can't help it, Discord --"

"And that's fine," Discord replied with soft enthusiasm. A confident, morale smile formed on his face as he cupped her cheeks and looked at her right in the eyes. "You are his mother; it's completely obvious and very understandable. It's your job as his mother to worry. It's a fact many other parents know, heck – it's something that everyone in this world knows." And how! Even he was no stranger to how parents worry about their children; heck, he was smart enough to know that parents act that way because they care. "Including me." He chuckled lightly, "And after what we witnessed, you two are the living representation of 'Like mother, like son'. More so than Big Mac being a reincarnation of Hercules but I digress." It was a no-brainer that fact spread like wildfire -- gods and above knows that it was an obvious fact. But, it's not just that fact that surprised him.

"Yes, you have every right to be worried. But, need I remind you that you should feel proud, too?" And he did not hold that back, either. While Twilight was off doing her princess-y stuff, he dug a little and asked some questions and received so much info from everyone who took part in that whole scenario, "Your son impressed everyone there from how he fought off that monster to forming plans to not only stall the thing but bring his mother back." He could even say he was proud of Spike for his efforts in the fight. If he was there to see it all, he'd likely take orders from him because "Everyone there who saw Spike take charge all thought the same thing: they were looking at another you." Just by those responses, it felt so uncanny.

Twilight couldn't believe what she was hearing. Was all of that true? It couldn't be. Was Discord telling the truth? She didn't know and she wished she was there to see it. The only thing she could go by was his own word and, with how caring he sounded, he sounded so genuine. But, she didn't say a word because he seemed to be at a momentum here. Twilight raised a brow lightly while she heard him ramble these sweet things to her but now she couldn't shake the feeling something felt 'different' with him. He wasn't pulling anything to have laughs, and with how he was speaking these things to her, he almost uncharacteristically seemed to be – dare she say it? – being affectionate towards her.

Still, the fact Spike learned so much from her and used that to his advantage out on the battlefield really did make her feel so proud as a smile of pride slowly starts growing on her face.

"And honestly, just when I thought I couldn't respect Spike – one of my very best friends – any more than I already do - after what he did today, he continues to surprise me. It makes me proud and I'm not even his father," Discord started to ramble and his thoughts started to come out as he spilled them onto Twilight, he gazed out to the fields out the window, smiling proudly because he too felt proud of Spike. "If only I could go back in time, I'd bring your beautiful self along and we'd cheer him and the others on, and I'd say 'That's my boy' and -- " Discord caught himself and quickly scrunched his mouth shut, covering his muzzle with his talon and paw and his eyes widened upon realizing what he just said among that ramble. He looked at Twilight and saw glistening sparkles in her eyes along with a faint blush.

"W-What?" She softly spoke, her eyes wide in awe yet sparkling like stars.

'By the gods, she really is adorable when she makes that kind of face', he thought to himself, but it sure brought a bit of a blush on his own cheeks.

Discord awkwardly looked away and let go of Twilight, slithering onto the floor before he twiddled his thumbs and blushed like a pre-teen meeting his crush. "Uh, I mean, uh," His face even started turning a brilliant shade of pink, feeling bashful and sheepish all of a sudden, "Y-you're lucky you have a child like him because you and Fluttershy have more in common than you think -- adopted or not." But, when he looked back at Twilight, all he saw was the same look in her eyes and he felt more awkward than he already did. It seemed whatever he said completely fixed Twilight's pain and now she looked fine, so ...

Discord sighed as he held his head, feeling like he made a fool out of himself, "Okay, I'll go find Spoiled. We should start a trial or something to see what we should do with her." He snapped his fingers and removed the dimension they were currently in.

She looked around and looked back up again with starry-eyes, those words he said replaying in her brain. "Discord…"

"Talk it over with your friends and... I'll explain everything later." He was about to snap his fingers before she spoke again.

"Discord… thank you." Looking over, he saw she seemed to smile gratefully at him, her eyes were still sparkling. "I really needed to hear this. And it means a lot coming from you."

Blushing once more, he cleared his throat, "Well, I much prefer seeing a smile on your face rather than a sad frown." He smiles lightly at her, gazing towards her. "A smile suits you better… and I think Pinkie would agree."

She giggled lightly and nodded as they both took a seat to have just another moment or two with each other's company. "I almost didn't think of you as the honest yet kind speaker…" He pouts but chuckled in a well-mannered matter, knowing his behavior sometimes. She smiled warmly as she looked up to him, seeing the impactful change that Discord had in him. "But I suppose Applejack and Fluttershy have had that influence on you."

He smiled warmly and nodded at her, "Suppose they have."

"You really have changed." Twilight smiled and laid a hoof on his lion paw; looking out the window towards the town, after listening to his kind words – she had a calmer head now, reassuring that with a bit of patience and hard work to fix the damages, peace can be brought back to the town.

Discord looked to her hoof on his paw and smiled softly, following her gaze to gaze upon their beloved little town – he too could see that in time, their home will soon be peaceful and normal again. "I had good teachers." He had to admit that, despite the little struggles they had with one another before, he gradually came to view them as good teachers in teaching the Magic of Friendship. "I know we'll get through this…" Gazing to Twilight who was still listening to his every word while admiring the thought that they can fix their town working together, his smile only matched hers as he gave the last special word to her. "You and your friends always have a way of getting out of trouble… and sneaking into others' hearts."

It wasn't until Twilight felt something gingerly yet magically touch her cheek, which got her eyes widened into saucers. She looked up in time to see he had lowered his neck down to meet with her head level, as if he had…

She gasped softly in awe, her eyes glistening once more.

Gasping as his cheeks turned hot pink, he winced as he let go of her hoof before quickly getting up and walking away to get some space to teleport away, "Um… I think I hear your friends calling. I'm going to find that Spoiled rotten mare now. Farewell until we meet again, Twilight."

He winces as he then started tugging on his horns, then his ears, and then started slapping at his cheeks, scolding himself. "Why did I do that, why did I do that, why did I do that, why in Holy Equestria's Love and Light itself did I do that?!"

He poofed away as Twilight, though collapsing on her knees while holding her cheek, started to regain some composure, and giggled a little after quickly realizing what Discord's true feelings were.

Oh, this was gonna be fun. Then she also realized something too late, "Wait, what was that part about Big Mac?"

It wasn't until her friends burst the doors open and snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Twilight, we heard you scream. Is everything alright?" Rainbow Dash asked, worried.

"Are you hurt? You look like you've been crying?" Fluttershy said, worried as well when she said the red in her friend's eyes.

But, Twilight waved a hoof at them and smiled softly yet reassuringly, "Yes, I'm fine girls. I just needed to cool off, is all." But, what Discord said came to mind next, and then she looked at her friends with a serious glance.

"But, I'm glad all of you are here," Discord's idea of a trial seemed like a good idea and she had a few more to back up that idea. "It's time we start a trial. If Ponyville needs to be safe, we have to reinforce rules around the town."

The other five were unsure of what to think about that. They had no clue what happened or what caused Twilight to come up with this idea. But, someone had to ask...

"A trial?" Pinkie asked.

"Basically, we'll all be judges," Twilight explained it short and simple to them.

And with that being said, all five mares gave their princess an understanding, 'Oh!"

"And for starters, it's time we brought a certain member of the Rich family to the stand," Twilight frowned firmly, this time her friends quickly caught on and their faces became serious, and firm frowns took their places while giving a more understanding "Oh…"

A trial indeed was in order, and they were definitely ready.