• Published 5th Aug 2016
  • 3,176 Views, 413 Comments

Favorable Alignment - Ice Star



Princess Luna disappears from Equestria with hopes of saving the world and is accompanied by the enigmatic Sombra. Meanwhile, Celestia tries to bury secrets as immortal as she is and Cadance must choose her loyalties carefully...

  • ...
10
 413
 3,176

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 13: Luna Galaxia, Counting Stars, and Lost Things

Luna:

Sombra stares at me with a grumpiness level that exceeds his usual amount. A few strands of his black mane - which was always slightly disheveled - are in his eyes, and as drenched as the rest of his mane and withers currently were.

He made a slight sound of disgust in the back of his throat and flicked one of his forehooves slightly. There was a faint click as his metal boots expanded back into hoofwear.

I sat on the now-empty rain cloud and watched Sombra stand up from the deck where we had both fallen asleep the previous night. At the thought, I snuggled a bit deeper into the cloud. He had been tolerant of me, to say the least, but I don't think the growing friendship I had for him was entirely mutual. He was nice enough to be considerably affectionate to me and even though it was very comforting - surprisingly so on his part - I really should have asked him if I could hug him first, since he doesn't seem like a pony who enjoys much contact with others.

Suddenly, the sun's soft morning light through the overcast sky and the fluffiness of the silvery cloud I had plucked from the sky this morning disappears and something hits me on the head with a whoosh and everything takes on a shadowy crimson color.

I quickly yank whatever Sombra tossed at me off of my head and hold it at a distance with my hoof. It's his cloak, the one I always see him wear with a host of patches in earthy hues and a hem that is composed of ragged tears from removing fabric from the original design. A currently disused hood was one of the few parts that remained unpatched.

It looked cozy, so I slipped it on, only to find the hood and wither area had taken a considerable hit from the water in the rain cloud, and was almost as drenched as Sombra himself, who was certainly not pleased with this and was muttering a few creative curses to the morning light and trying to wring a bit of water out of his mane with his magic.

"Luna, you know I'm going to need that back."

"I am aware."

"Well, you could at least get the water out of the thing while you have it."

I give him a slight frown.

"If you want to, Luna."

"It'll dry eventually."

He sighs. "That too, but I'd like it dry as soon as possible."

"Why?"

"It's comfortable and has a hood for sunlight."

"It is very comfortable actually, do you sew on the patches yourself?"

"Yes."

"May I ask why you always wear it?"

Sombra stops trying to manually remove water from his mane and looks at me. "If you think it has anything to with me not having a mark-"

"It doesn't, and I did not think it did." What I told him was true. Sombra not having a mark was an incredibly uncommon thing if he was going to pass as an adult pony, to the point where it would 'out' that something was 'wrong' with him if he tried to go about daily life without his cloak, and yet I cannot imagine that was the cause he wore it. Such a thing did not strike me as the Sombra way.

"Well then, I already told you why I wear it."

And I believe you.

Sombra narrows his eyes and busies himself once again, this time settling on a quick spell to free the water from his mane. I decide to cast a similar spell on his cloak, but keep wearing until he comes over until he walks over to the low hanging cloud, hovering a few feet above deck, where I am.

He absentmindedly fluffs his mane a bit before talking to me once again. "I need that back now."

My response is to reach out from my temporary cloud burrow and tousle his mane a bit - specifically his bangs - and watch him flinch slightly, stepping back and only stopping when he hears the sound of my laughter. I stop as soon as I see how confused he looks.

"Sombra, did I upset you?"

He blinks. "Uh, no. No, Luna. I'm just confused... why did you do that?"

"I want to keep your cloak for a bit. That's why." He's also oddly approachable at times for somepony so antisocial.

"Well-"

"If you want me stop bothering you, I will," I add quickly, with the hint of a smile.

"Luna, you don't have to restrict yourself, or apologize so much. Although, I would like a reason to why you won't fork over my cloak, or I will be taking it by force."

I lift my head and look at him.

"Luna, what are you doing?" he asks, staring at my expression, eyes darting about as he scrambles to analyze it.

"Luna," he repeats more concerned this time, "what is that facial expression?"

He blinks quickly and then takes another step back. "Fine! You can keep it until you raise the moon, when I will most certainly take it from you because I will find a way around this spell of yours, but first you have to stop it, alright?!"

"Stop what?"

"Making that face and whatever sorcery you're using to magnify its effect. It's not quite mind magic - I'd know that - but it's some kind of charm, isn't it? I don't feel any magic, but the effect of it this is quite potent. Whatever it is, it's certainly a powerful. Would you teach it to me?"

I pulled the hood over my head with a quick tug from magic. It's still warm and even smells a bit like Sombra - mountain air, smoke and ashes, dust from frequent travel, and lastly, the crisp paper from a new book. "You want me to teach you how to pout?"

"Yes."

I try to retreat deeper into the hood, thinking. I may have an inch or so on Sombra but I'm very slender compared to him and most other ponies, so the cloak was even roomier for me. "I did have plans for the day, actually."

Sombra lifts his gaze more to focus on me directly, and I glimpsed the slightest bit of curiosity in his eyes. "And what might these plans be that they had to be done during the day?"

"You are not Onyx, which means you have intelligence and skill that exceeds a garden slug. You are also an immortal with great untapped potential. As we sail off into the great unknown, I still have no idea what your exact skill set is, or your capacity for those skills compared to my own. I thought we might have a friendly spar and I could teach you a few things with magic, depending on how well you do."

I can see the traces of an eager smirk forming on Sombra's mouth and a flash of fangs. "What kind of things?"

"I want to start teaching you magic that's more on my level, something a bit beyond what Cadance and Twilight would be taught, but still nothing close to anything truly god-tier yet. Real magic, Sombra, for it would be much more becoming of one with your rank."

Sombra's incomplete smirk does not betray much, although when I look into his eyes I see that wild, deceptive, and calculating fire which always made him a captivating opponent.

"Count me in."

...

The deck of the drifting Sky Scraper swayed slightly as a strong gust of wind blew, battering the airship around. The clouds over the sky darkened a shade until they look decently brooding and stormy within a few seconds, with a perfect wind to accompany them. The atmosphere was perfect for a small demonstration of my power.

I stomped my hoof upon the deck's surface and thunder clapped as I struck it, my eyes alight as lightning flashed.

I made sure to take care that the lightning was not too strong, as I do not want to inflict any damage upon the ship that could not be repaired easily.

The malleable force of nature no longer offered any of the resistance to my power as it did in my youth. I was pleased to see the wild strikes near both sides of the Sky Scraper, which shook even more in the storm that I had called forth.

Sombra's eyes burned with his usual calculating expression, only he didn't look as if were looking through something quite so simple, as there was curiosity there as well, and with it questions and observations that I eagerly waited for him to speak.

"So, Sombra, that's an example of where to start. Power over natural forces or one of the four classical elements that make up essentiamancy are usually the first kinds of magic that an Alicorn might look to master, if they uncover any inclination towards it, before ultimately finding their domain. For example, my sister is a clear pyromancer. Do you have any leaning in essentiamancy? I would say that those crystals of yours would mark you as a potential geomancer, but I can't be sure."

"No, I'm horrible at geomancy and crystallokinesis, and äerint isn't a true mineral. I'm not entirely sure what it is - just that it isn't naturally occurring, but holds great magic. Outside of dark fire, I'm not a bad pyromancer."

Why do I have the feeling 'not bad' is an understatement?

He paused as the boat lurched, appearing faintly queasy. "But I'm also not an Alicorn."

"Not every god is an Alicorn, Sombra."

He snorts, but still looks over to the sky and waiting for another round of light to pierce the sky. "Do you really think I could be an actual god with a domain, and true power other than what immortality itself can give me?"

"I do, Sombra. You aren't a novice when it comes to magic, and even though it was over a millennium ago when I held little of the power I do now, you were still able to do magic most mortals can't even dream of. Even now, this part of you is unchanged, and why would it be? You may not be a pony, but you can't deny that you hold great power and the potential for even more if your work is great and you explore this."

He snorts again, bitter and disdainful. His voice is lower when he speaks, bearing undertones of resentment. "So I'm a megalomaniac's dream?"

"I didn't mean it like that-" I began, and would have been able to get more out if I didn't see a blur of silver and red out of the corner of my eye, and soon the cool silver curve of a scimitar was at my neck followed. The hilt was held in Sombra's crimson aura, which was currently laced with traces of his darker magic and a sure sign that he was usually aggravated.

The strangest part about the wicked blade were the two crescent moons at each side of the hilt, a silvery blue pearl bearing an otherworldly polish grasped in each.

There was something undeniable about this blade, a familiarity I couldn't shake, and the twisted smirk he wore through the curtain of black mane only served to confirm my recognition. The glimpse of his fangs only served to accentuate his cocky expression.

"Change of subject: What was the previous name of what was once your blade?"

A lump of shock found its way into my throat. He had obtained the fragments of my old platinum sword? Why? What could it possibly mean to him?

I had seen him carry it before - he either kept it on him, in a tailored sheath or summoned it from somewhere nearby - but only now did I get a closer look at it.

"Quicksilver. I refused to name it after the vain princess, as 'suggested' when it was forged for me. What do you call it?"

"Fate."

"How arrogant for you to wield Fate," I remark with a quick look at the stormy blanket of clouds that have still not dissipated.

Fate's curved blade pressed into my neck slightly. "Do you have a problem with that?"

"None at all, I quite like it, actually. It 'has a ring to it', as ponies say. Now, I would like to know why you have placed Fate against my throat."

"You still owe me a sparring match," he adds, dropping the blade and releasing whatever charm he had used to dull the edge, though his smirk was clearly here to stay.

I gave him a smile and a quick, short stomp of my hoof coupled with a flash of my horn. Two axes, gleaming like starlight with wicked blades as sharp-looking as a thorn is to the meekest foal were gripped in my magic. They weren't particularly exciting compared to any of the best weapons I could conjure, but since I still don't know Sombra's full ability and I've never liked to reveal all my secrets at once, they'll do.

A momentary increase of his in his rakish smirk and eyes eager for a fight tell me that the message is mutual, we'll both be holding back for a bit, but oh, how good it is to fight!

I raise an ax and beckon for him to make the first move, just as the rain begins to fall, the curtain to the second act of our battles. From castle to airship, we've found ourselves together again, and I can't say I'm dreading any of it.

...

"It appears the present situation redefines the term 'heart attack', wouldn't you agree, Sombra?" I ask, still unnerved by Sombra's latest display of demonic powers.

Sombra, eyes merely bearing latent amusement in contrast to his reserved-once-more demeanor, lifts an eyebrow and appears to contemplate a smirk, but decides against it, even though I do enjoy them and certainly wouldn't mind if he did, for such a thing would be rather reassuring right now. He flicks his gaze downward to the matter at hoof.

"I suppose," he remarks dryly as he calmly surveys the ax lodged in his chest.

This had been a complete accident, as I had not intended to harm Sombra in any way. Our sparring had certainly become more heated when it became apparent that Sombra and I were both excited that we had finally found opponents of a similar skill level. As the hours wore on, it became clear that we wanted to see just how much we could do with blades alone.

The only thing that had posed as a problem was Sombra still hadn't properly adjusted to having two eyes available, and certainly not for prolonged duels. His depth perception in combat was still a work in progress.

Because of this, we were both absorbed in the heat of battle I had ended up planting one of the twin axes in Sombra's chest, and in the midst of battle rush, no less. Though, 'rush' is quite the misnomer, for there is great clarity of nearly everything that I observe in such scenarios, and yet the phrase of the silly common pony dismisses and creates such an injustice to the feelings that make up such a passion.

That should have killed his physical form for quite some time, or at least wounded him horribly so I'd have to rush over and heal him, as he would obviously not retain much of a capacity to do so himself.

Instead, the blade I hadn't been able to stop in time sank into shadow. Sombra had nearly forgotten about the blade as he casually explained that he could shift parts of his body into shadow without loosing too much of his equine form. It clearly took a lot out of him, as he looked visibly pale and even slightly feverish through his usual aloof demeanor. Compared to a hoof, knee, or even his entire leg or haunch, which Sombra said he was much better with working with, his chest was very hard to manage.

In the present moment, I had only a weak smile to give and gladly turned away as Sombra removed the ax, though he insisted it would not be a gruesome sight at all. I still thought he would want some privacy and should be treated respectfully, regardless of all the grim carnage I have seen in my life. When he was done, he wordlessly passed the blade to me while sheathing his own. Each was covered in small specks of blood here and there, nothing that could qualify as much past spatter. Both of us had many small cuts here and there - most were not deep enough to draw more than a line of blood, like the thinnest streak from a red inked pen, but Sombra had a rather deep cut on his cheek that while not threatening, still bled a bit.

He makes no effort to heal it, I noticed even as I teleported the weapons I had been using to a much more accessible location in my chosen cabin.

"Sombra, there's a cut on your cheek," I said, stepping closer to him. His complexion was back to normal and under his cloak his form appeared solid.

"Yeah, what about it?"

"Are you going to heal it? It's not very likely, but it could still be infected if you choose not to treat it."

He puts a hoof to his face, pulling it away to inspect the blood on his boots. "I guess it could."

I decide to use the pause that follows his statement to check the dusk sky and raise the moon as the sun is lowered by my sister. Even this far away, I know she is safe in Canterlot as we continue our routine. This may be quite the adventure - one I would not trade for the duty she now bears in this dire time - but I still wished there could have been a brief farewell between us.

"...Luna?" Sombra asks, catching my attention once more, his tone hesitant and somewhat cautious.

"What is it Sombra?"

"Would you mind healing the cut?"

"Can you not do that yourself?"

"Being a demon means..." he pauses, looking away at the last word, his voice dropping, "...I have no ability to heal myself, but I am very knowledgeable when it comes to healing magic."

My horn glows with soft turquoise light that brushes over Sombra's cheek, mending not only the cut I spotted on his cheek, but a few scrapes I can see on one of his forelegs as well. "Might I inquire to why you have such skill in healing if you can't use it for yourself?"

"Onyx learned healing once he had me because he didn't think hurting ponies once was enough, he wanted to repair their rope of life so it was just a thread for them to cling to in desperation and agony before he killed them, whereas I was fascinated by healing."

"Sombra, I'm not sure if you agree with this comparison, but sometimes you and Onyx appear to be like two sides of a coin because of the way you talk about him."

"What does that have to do with what you asked?"

"It has to do with what I asked because unless you really feel compelled to talk about Onyx, please don't. It isn't because I don't want to listen, it's because I want to listen to things about you, Sombra."

"Why?" Sombra asks, and his confusion honestly hurts me, and maybe it hurts him too.

"Because," I say, pulling Sombra into a hug, "you two may be two sides of a coin, but Sombra, you're the only side that matters to me."

I feel him swallow, but he doesn't say anything. Even if he may not like hugs or any kind of contact with ponies, he probably needs one right now, because I think they mean something to him even though he might not know how to say it.

"Sombra," I whisper, "there's something I want to tell you. About Alicorns."

"I-"

"Would you come sit with me?"

...

We sit next to each other, with only a space big enough for a small foal to fit between us. I had draped my wing over Sombra's wither slightly and not at all subtly. He flinched when I did so I withdrew my wing, a bit disappointed at his rejection of such close contact, but it was understandable. This was probably too much for him and I don't think he appreciated a crazy mare like me hugging him every five minutes. He probably thinks I'm overly clingy.

"How much do you know about Alicorns?" I ask him, since figuring out what he does know is probably the best way to do this.

"Not enough," he answers quickly, and before I even need to ask for an explanation he's already giving one, "They're immortal equines, but not ponies, that are born into godhood that they need only to properly harness with age. Alicorns can survive in realms built on pure magic alone and are immune to many common forms of corruption. They are living examples of the benefits of immortality that mortal species can never maintain. Alicorns used to be numerous by the standards of immortal beings until... well, that's what you and I are going to find out."

"Anything else?"

"I'm educated enough about their culture so that I'm not as hopelessly stupid as the past generations of ponies that have lived in this modern age and all following the Collapse, but I'd be interested in learning more since they are one of the most important parts of history. I'm also aware that some of them had families which took on clan names that often described their collective domains. For example, Alicorns and all equine civilizations in the Eastern World answered to the Galaxias of the Everfree Kingdom. They were a foal-less couple and one of the many Alicorns to disappear in the Collapse of the Old World, seeing as they still haven't turned up yet and their domains seem to have sunken, as with most of the others."

"The Galaxias," I asked, puzzled, "what were their names? I know of no foal-less couples like that-"

"Well," Sombra interrupts, although I don't mind this one, "you were awfully young, so I wouldn't be surprised if you had forgotten something, and Alicorn foals were raised in seclusion until earning their marks, so I imagine that the information you would have had was limited. The King and Queen of the Everfree were Noctus of Wishes and Lumina-"

"-OF THE LIGHT!" I finish, yelling excitedly with a foalish grin upon my face, "Lumina and Noctus were the names of my mother and father, Celestia's too!"

Sombra's jaw is agape as he stares at me, I can see the shock on his face clearly in the dark. "...What?! You...a Galaxia? You and Celestia, of the highest order of the gods?! Secret heirs to entire continents worth of civilizations and you weren't even told your family name? How did you and your sister survi- never mind, that's a story for another time, isn't it?"

"I..." I'm not sure what to say, and just nod slowly since I can't think of anything else to do "...yes? Do go on, Sombra. Please?" I finish hopefully, smiling wide, a giddy, nervous feeling starting to form in my stomach.

He gives me a strange look, well, strange for him. It's outright pity, a look I've usually seen reserved for naive foals that Sombra has managed to make less pathetic. "You were born into a world doomed to fall only centuries later, and were never told of even your complete identity, and that was something I always had. I was created knowing I was a demon, and yet, here I am having memorized the contents of books that no longer exist and giving you meager summaries of a world even I'm not fully educated on..."

"Sombra? Are you...?"

"You've never even heard your history and barely understand all you've lost and I just give you footnotes of your heritage that you treat like treasure... Luna ...no, Luna Galaxia; High Princess Luna Galaxia of the Everfree Kingdom in the now lost empire of Alicornia... do you know how horrible this feels for me? Being unable to help you or even show you anything about what you've lost?"

"Sombra, you won't feel guilty after what I tell you."

He still gives me his look of concern, red eyes still fiery even in the darkness, only the concern he shows at my words makes them look warmer - but also curious.

"We both know - to some extent, from some experience - how powerful knowledge is. What I am about to to tell you could endanger you as the very content endangers both myself and every other Alicorn to have lived..."

I gesture with my hoof for him to lean forward as I trail off with the last few syllables. His eyes flicker quizzically, not recognizing the sign so I startle him by leaning over to him instead, as close to him as I was 1,101 years ago and whisper in his ear.

I tell him of the tameness of every death he has ever seen when compared to what I am about to say, and use my free hoof that does not shield my words from everypony that isn't here to pull him even closer and note that he seems to express both less and more discomfort being so close to me... but that's not important right now, nor could I think of a way explain this even if it was my focus.

I continue my act of bravery in trusting Sombra with something I know that no Alicorn ever told a mortal soul, much less an immortal demon.

I whisper about the spell - to Celestia and I in our youngest days, The Spell, upon first being told - a type of magic that was no spell at all, for it knew no method that one could hope to transcribe. It is how to break an Alicorn, a fate worse than death. It is when a god's mind has been warped to the point that they are beyond, mercy, beyond hope, and so far from salvation and themselves. To be in this state they must be put through torturous and horrid things that I could not imagine, and Sombra who unfortunately has some knowledge on the subject of torture, shudders at when I speak of how enacting violations on an Alicorn can drive them to The Spell. This is how Alicorns give up on eternity.

This is the easiest and the hardest spell for an Alicorn to perform, the only release from the world and the only way to give in that comes from looking in at whatever seals our souls to our bodies - which is part of what makes us so powerful and part of why our manes flow, as our bodies our not just careless mortal shells - and rip that energy more powerful than any known force, including the stars themselves, that ties us with our replaceable physical forms and our souls and even our domains with a rip that is the greatest tragedy we can bring upon ourselves as gods.

It is not something we can ever be forced to do, even with the twisted magic of the dark knowledge that gives birth to great monsters and the fine enigma that is Sombra.

From me, he learns of how domains will collapse or fall to imperfection if their god does not exist any longer. Next, I tell him about how there is not afterlife for us, nothing at all for an Alicorn who breaks and how trying to contain one of our souls in a dead world after we go through our deepest sadness and the horrid pain of breaking wouldn't work. Our souls are so powerful in nature that the dead world would be terminated and any souls in it, dispelled while the connected worlds would be wiped out.

Then I hear myself telling Sombra how I'm scared. I'm scared that my family knew oblivion, that I'll never see them and that the Alicorns are gone, and I'm the last of my kind to have ever been born in this world. I don't want this to happen to me. Or Celestia. Or even Tuna.

I tell him to be happy that he's so lucky that he'll never break, no matter what happens there will never be oblivion for him, and he deserves the immortality he has because he's a truly wonderful pony.

After that, I feel cold and I don't know why. I don't mind either the heat or the cold, but now it's so frighteningly chilly on this small airship that drifts across a small world to what I never want to be our doom. I'm shivering and it's freezing, like a tomb. My throat hurts.

Without a word between us, he lets me wrap a wing around him and he doesn't complain or give me any looks when I scoot closer to him. Despite his frosty demeanor - which I actually like - Sombra is far from cold and heartless.

"Sombra?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you."

"For what, Luna?"

"For listening. For being honest. For being dragged into this."

"No problem. That's a lot of 'fors'. You sure that you didn't leave anything out?"

"Thank you for everything," I say and lean over to plant a kiss on his cheek, to which - without any surprise - he flushes at.

"L-Luna...!" he sputters.

"Sorry, was it too much?"

"I-I..."

"I promise I won't do it again."

"No!" he nearly shouts, shifting slightly, and I can't help but think he sounds irate because of his volume.

"What? Sombra, what's wrong?"

He looks away, at the stars shining in the clear, dark sky. "Never mind, I was just thinking about something else."

Is he sad? He does sound a bit melancholy, but that's not unusual for him. "Was it important?"

"Probably not."

With that we both resume our usual silence for a while, before I look at the stars as well, and remember something I have yet to tell him.

"Sombra, do you know anything about the constellations?"

"Do you mean those replacement patterns for the old star maps that merely charted everything?"

"Yes. I came up with each and every one of them when I was very small and drew them often, usually in the dirt with a stick. I used them to navigate and was too young to understand maps for the sky, which had been forgotten in the Collapse. My patterns and stories from travelling time with Tia and diary doodles from my time at the Magicspire suddenly became very relevant. When Equestria was formed, a select few ponies actually wanted to chart the stars and used my method to use them - the one with the animals and ponies, like Orion, the warrior stallion. Nopony was educated enough to make star charts yet, and fewer were educated at all. We did not even have telescopes then, for the Collapse had robbed us of the devices I remember, so ponies had only their naked eyes to look upon the stars. Today, all telescopes have root in the memories I relayed to crafters when this nation was young."

Sombra's eyes looked bright with each shred of detail that reached his ears, which had an attentive perk to them. This was certainly not something I was used to seeing from ponies. "There's stories behind them?"

"Yes, I came up with them when I was a filly and told them to my sister, because her stories are terrible. They were always about princess and princes. Could I tell you any of my stories for the stars?"

"Yes, they sound strange enough to catch my attention, but before you do, I want to tell you something. About stars."

I gave him an encouraging smile, but to my dismay, his eyes could not fool me, as they only looked sadder under the dark sky where the Sky Scraper drifted.

"I used to count stars. I was usually only in control completely at night because Onyx thought the night was boring. I never really went outside, but there was this balcony and I'd watch the sky each night and count them over and over again, each time the stars would be something different. A reason I was better than Onyx was one, that was always a popular ritual with me. I never had anything to call my own then, as my own mind was shared but I always had the stars. Nopony could steal them, just like how nopony could steal my pride." His eyes have something sad shining in them briefly as he adds, "No matter what happened to me."

I have to swallow a lump of something bittersweet before I continued. It was so flattering and inspiring to know that even then, my night which was ignored and even insulted in Equestria at the time, had helped somepony - and not just anypony either, but a pony I've grown to care about.

"I think you shall like the story of Perseus..."

PreviousChapters Next