• Published 5th Aug 2016
  • 3,177 Views, 413 Comments

Favorable Alignment - Ice Star



Princess Luna disappears from Equestria with hopes of saving the world and is accompanied by the enigmatic Sombra. Meanwhile, Celestia tries to bury secrets as immortal as she is and Cadance must choose her loyalties carefully...

  • ...
10
 413
 3,177

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15: Letters Filled with Doubt

Dear Cadance,

You are probably looking at this letter and wondering why it is I writing to you instead of Sombra. You see, I imagine Sombra has filled you in on quite a bit of what has been going on, and that you have been able to figure out some of it for yourself. I do not request your help in a manner that would require you to seek us out or pursue through shelves of books and reading each, cover to cover, for the keys to ciphers.

I only ask that you read this and think of me not as your aunt, which Celestia insists I am even if I think of you much more like a cousin, but as a temporary Princess of Friendship and the friendly, bubbly young mare who swept me out of the stress surrounding the gala when I first returned and spent the night laughing with me and poring over plays and talking to me when I spoke little.

I need not write to Celestia or Twilight to know that the former has always recruited the ever-loyal (perhaps even blindly so, at times) latter to whatever cause she has that would lead to Twilight unknowingly betraying both the world and I, if I were to write to her. Plus, I am most sure that she would not believe what I am about to write to you.

The day before yesterday, Sombra and I fought a creature of the sea and slayed it. (Cadance, you need only write to me if you need something explained. Just do not expect me to give up our exact location, as I must keep some information solely on the ship). The night after that he mentioned that he had been writing to you, and that he trusted you as a friend (not in those words but I can understand Sombra quite well, I think). While he revealed no previous letters as proof (if he kept them, I do not know) he did speak as highly of you as I've heard him speak of another pony.

Hours later, we ended up fighting. It was over Celestia, my dear sister. I understand and can sympathize with Sombra disliking (well, 'loathe' is a much better term) her, and support his desire to speak his mind, but Sombra truly despises her and whatever quarrel between them is personal, if my sister is even aware of it. As long as he does not physical harm or slander my sister by overstepping any lines, then I will tolerate a few insults or harsh criticisms, because even in my darkest days I thought a few similar things.

He didn't listen to me when I told him that Celestia has had a hard life too, and strives to become a better pony. It went to the point where his words became so heated it almost felt like Tia herself was arguing back and making him angrier...

Then he called her a tyrant and almost started screaming about how she treated me. Which was embarrassing, I think. I lack the words to describe how I felt at the fact that he observed this second-hoof. He has some of Onyx's memories, and it is quite clear he formed his own thoughts on them, almost as if he were watching one of those picture-films you like. I do hope that you recognize that name. It is from these memories that he has concluded my sister is cruel.

I lost it at this (some of it is very personal, I do not wish to go into it) and I struck him.

And the worst part is I meant to.

I'm not sure how much you know about Sombra's early life. Without telling the details of information he has proved very unwilling to share, I will put this very lightly and say that Sombra has had a hard life like Celestia and I. And one that has forced him to endure a lot of abuse, and the ordeal was more direct and prolonged than anything Tia and I have faced.

But I don't want to write about that...

I struck him with my forehoof right in his jaw, without holding much back. I had to heal a fracture while he held two teeth I had knocked clean out in his forehoof. What really made me feel guilty was that I was still mad at him - openly - for insulting Tia. Yet, I couldn't stop apologizing to him. Once I had healed him, he just stared at me somewhat coldly (surprisingly no colder than normal, which made me think he was going to try to get revenge) and said that he's been through worse. I think he was scared when he said it. I truly didn't mean to scare him!

He's been through worse than being struck by a goddess.

It hurts to know that.

He walked away saying that we needed to take a break from each other, which might be a very underhoofed way of saying he hates me.

He's missing two teeth on his left side now. If he were to smirk, I'm sure I'd be able to glimpse a bit of the gap from this but he hasn't smirked at all lately. I haven't seen him and I don't think he knows how sorry I am.

You see, I want more than ever to be Sombra's friend, if he'll let me. I'm not sure how much you know about him, but Sombra's actually a great pony. He's smart, funny, and insightful, for example. He's very introspective and his lack of overt friendliness - no offense to you - is very... magnetic. I think that is the best term. Him not being a conventionally friendly bleh-inducing bucket of sunshine like some ponies (not you, just some ponies!) makes him feel friendlier and quite refreshing to be around.

He'd be my first friend ever, and the closest I've felt to anypony, almost like family, but not quite, yes? You're my friend, but also something so much like family. Tia formally adopted you, and I am glad to call you kin, and kin I can call agreeable. For Sombra, things are different. He has no relation of any kind to me.

I just don't know how to ask, and I'm not even sure if he wants to be my friend. After this, I feel it is so much more unlikely. He's so reclusive - which is part of why I like him - but that also might not mean he wants me as a friend.

Any advice?

- Luna

P.S. Please give Tia an extra 'hello' when you see her. I hope she's alright.

...

Dear Auntie/Cousin?/Okay Auntie-Again Luna,

I like to call you Auntie sometimes, okay? There's totally absolutely no reason for it, except maybe there is. Okay, I don't actually know.

First: I'm the Princess of Love, so asking me to help with friendship despite me having plenty of friends is going to be odd. I'll probably mention that later.

Second: This letter you sent me is nice and dramatic, so I'm playing the best inspirational music for it. It's this awesome stuff I'd listen to whenever I used to jog around Canterlot, and it helps take my mind off the fact that I literally was thinking about poutine only moments before I got this. I'm going to die before I'm forty, but at least I can give you friendship advice before then! Hooray for cheerful thoughts about my death! It's probably Sombra's influence... or the end of the world approaching.

Okay, I'm not going to make this a list anymore. I'm not going to become my friends and relatives. I'm not Twi. I'm not Sombra. I'm not Auntie.

Poutine is going to kill me.

Now to be serious and help you solve your problem:

I do think that Sombra wants to be your friend, from what you have mentioned so far. I'm not seeing anything that tells me about things you dislike about him, and you seem to being interacting nicely from what Sombra's written.

And what has Sombra written? Well, he doesn't hate you and he never mentioned disdain or dislike of you, either.

Although he never mentioned that he'd like to be your friend in any of those exact words, he never said he wouldn't mind you being friendly with him. While you may or may not have the Sombra label of approval (does he have those?) and hey, maybe even I don't have one, I'd still say that you're probably going to get it at some point.

I do know a little bit about this Onyx character, but not much. Like, he was a genocidal sorcerer colt or something, who was from the Empire, and he created Sombra. He also hurt Sombra while they were in the Empire. Maybe before then? Not much else. I know a bit more about the place where he came from, but only because I'm friends with his sister, who stops by a lot to help me and Shiny uncover hidden rooms in this place. She's the only pony other than the guards who will.

Some of them are kinda scary, but the worst ones are hidden away with dark magic that I'm really not going to use again for a while. I'm not sure if I'm even strong enough. Why can't it ever be something nice, you know? I'm telling you if ice cream magic becomes the next worst thing in this world, I'll be cheering and crying tears of happiness because then the only adventure I'll have to go on will be to the nearest frozen treat shop.

I'll save the crystal ponies by eating all the ice cream.

I won't die of poutine, I'll die of ice cream instead.

Sorry, there's this whole impeding doom thing that's just really killing some of my usual cheerfulness, and making me think about ice cream and existential horror stuff at three in the morning. It's nuts.

But back to the point: I'm sure Sombra wouldn't mind being your friend. Although, it would help more if you sent a list of all the cool friends-to-be stuff you two have done through this little letter pocket dimension thing I now have (that took so long to make and is confusing as Tartarus). That way, I know what you've tried to far and how he's reacted. Things like that.

Don't worry about having to ask him to be your friend, either. It's pretty convenient that you two are taking 'a break from each other' as you said Sombra put it. This way you can think of what to say. And again, it's not about you asking, it's about what you're asking him. Make it count. But don't make the question too specific, since I've seen Sombra get mad at those, and questions that are too broad he'll talk his way out of...

...or they'll give him plenty of ways to respond.

But that's just my advice, and I'm the Princess of Love, not the Princess of Friendship or the Princess of Sombra-related Advice. (By the way, he hates black olives on pizza. Maybe that will be useful to you.)

Sincerely,

The Best Niece (in a completely non-arrogant way, that is)

P.S. I played Princess of Friendship for you but I, as the Princess of Love, want to know if my single auntie thinks Sombra is cute (unless you'd prefer a sassy mare instead of a sassy stallion) because I've been starved of lighthearted gossip here.

P.P.S. Auntie Celestia's been in Canterlot for a while and I haven't gotten any visits.

...

Dear Cadance,

Thank you for the cheerful and quirky letter, Cady. It certainly cheered me up, and I'm hoping that you don't worry too much. You're still safe in the Empire, after all.

I've attached the list you wanted to this slip of paper.

As for your question... Sombra is very quirky, which makes him a joy to be around. He has all these traits that I don't see often, or at least not in the way he expresses them, and they make it more intriguing to get to know him. I truly love talking with him!

It's part of why I'm worried about being his friend, since there's still so much I don't know about him that, as his friend, I imagine you do.

I really don't think he likes me very much. He spends a lot of time around me, but I don't think he'd view me as anything but a burden because he's so confident and it shows. I've rarely seen him doubt himself about anything, and when he does it appears to be for a reason external of himself. I don't have nearly as much faith in myself like he does, and maybe he would hold that against me. I'm fairly certain of it.

I don't think you're just asking if I think his quirks are cute, are you? Princess of Love, indeed!

Yet, even the Princess of Love knows that I'm not like... 'that'? I have little other way to put it.

- Luna

...

Dear Auntie Luna,

I know you're on a ship in the middle of the ocean leagues away from here, but please don't be so down. Could I send you something to cheer you up? Anything?

Also, I see that sneakiness of yours showing. I certainly wasn't asking you if his quirks alone were cute. Maybe a better way to ask this would be 'Do you have a crush on Sombra?'

I mean he's certainly smart (and a complete nutcase). He's also quiet at times, so I knew you two would be getting along. :heart:

And as I'm browsing this list... jeez. It certainly seems like you have a crush on Sombra, or at least that's what the Princess of Love Cady is thinking.

The Princess of Friendship Cady? Her conclusion is that you need to seriously ask yourself if you do. Luna, I know that you can be a bit socially awkward, and that yes, you aren't going to love like most ponies. That is something I completely understand, but it's like you don't even realize he might think that you're flirting with him. As the Princess of LOVE it certainly looks like you LOVE Sombra, just from what I'm looking at. If this is how you'd treat a friend, then alright, but it just really doesn't look like that to me.

But the reactions of Sombra's that you listed - despite their brevity compared to your own - make it look like he's certainly friendly with you. Just ask him, okay? Find a proper moment when you think he'd be open to the discussion, and just ask him. He doesn't listen to me half the time (at least, I don't think he does) but it really looks as if he's been listening to you.

So, I guess you could say this ship is going steady...

Signed,

Best Niece

...

Dear Cadance,

What do you mean, with that last line? The ship hasn't been in anything except a minor scrape or two. The Sky Scraper is fine, though your concern is appreciated.

Mi Amore Cadenza, I do not have that affection for Sombra. I mean...

Well...

Even if I did, Sombra is as solitary as one can get, if you understand what I'm implying. He is likely even more alone, in the regards of attraction, than...

And so am I and... well, it's confusing and nopony has

Even you said most ponies aren't like me, as if it weren't already as obvious as Twilight Sparkle's ascension.

I do not want to continue this discussion. I am not one for gossip and think that I have humored you enough.

...

Uncle Sombra,

How have you been? You haven't written in a while, and I heard that you got some teeth knocked out by Auntie Luna. I spent the last two days exchanging letters with her.

I await your letter with a bowl of poutine I dumped popcorn on and empty eyes as I stare at my questionable snack choice.

Why am I even eating this for breakfast?

I'm not even going to make it to the end of the world, huh?

Signed,

Mac the Best Niece

...

You certainly won't be making it to the end of the world, and most certainly not as Best Niece, if you don't send me a dish of poutine as soon as you get this letter. It's one of the few things I'll eat and have an opinion on other than 'this is food and eating is gross', or something of the sort. Send it without this 'popcorn' nonsense too.

Did you know that some creatures make gravy out of meat?! It's absolutely disgusting. I don't care if carnivores are meant to eat meat (blegh). Milk, eggs, and meat are absolutely awful, regardless of how often the first two are consumed. Remove the cheese, or I'll remove your future children from your life.

Pizza is the exception to this rule, as pizza is the true faith.

Poutine was one of the few things that I would eat in the Crystal Empire. I could make poutine myself, which aligned with the priority of survival easily. Even though I hated eating - and still generally do - I wouldn't mind the poutine that much. It's one of the few things I don't have any bad memories of, even though Onyx grew up gorging himself with it.

I did get two teeth knocked out, as you mentioned. If you send me the poutine (upgrade that to a week's supply for you, which is a few months for me, while you're at it) I'll send you the teeth, if you want them. Luna hit me in a brief fight we had. I wasn't mad at her - she looked like she was on the verge of tears when apologizing - but it wasn't something I was going to let go instantly.

The two of us have been in such close quarters for nearly three months and it's... well for me it's certainly been something else. Gods, even I need a break from ponies. As much as I hate to say it, I need a break from her before I loose it.

'How am I?' you ask.

Honestly, I'm not sure I've ever been so pressured outside of other events I don't care to ever mention again.

I haven't told her.

She's amazing, Mac, and I haven't told her. I don't think I can be around her any more, because this is utterly maddening and it's getting harder to be near her the more she...

Did you know she kissed me?!

She keeps getting closer and closer to me. I have to wait for the right time to tell her what I think. About her. Her mane feels lovely. She's still so sorry about hitting me, and I want to hug her all over again.

Nopony has ever been sorry for hitting me before.

To no fault of her own she hasn't noticed anything at all, and even though I want to get closer to her too. But I can't, because I'm not going to be able to refrain from telling her if she keeps treating me like this. It's making me uncomfortable, to say the least. I especially don't want to push what she feels comfortable with. That would make me feel worse, her thinking I'm some sort of creep. Why would I even try to be overbearing with her? I can't fathom it, regardless of how I can be with others. She's never asked for any kind of contact with me, and that's all the reason to refrain from giving it as much as possible. She never said anything, and that's as good as a no to me. Keeping my distance works well for the both of us as we are right now.

She's a delight to work and talk with, but I'm sure I've mentioned that before.

Hugging her was wonderful, though.

You don't think that I'm creepy, do you? I've hardly ever been told anything else, but Luna finding me detestable is a prospect I dread.

I really don't want to stay away from her. Maybe you'll be able to help, and it isn't like I've never thought about Luna-

You know what? Read between the lines. This dreadful pen isn't exactly anything I can erase, so you'll have to.

-Sombra the Enigma

P.S. Writing this whole letter is making me nothing but uncomfortable, and that isn't something I don't really experience, not like this. I should burn it. I really should, but no I did not. This is going to crash and burn so horribly, isn't it? Don't answer that, I already know.

P.P.S Fine. I thought it over. I'm sending this under the impression you'll be tactful after I tried to sort a few thoughts out. A few dozen, really. Mostly about her. I need something other than a pen to write with. Maybe.

...

Dear Uncle Sombra,

As you can see, this letter is attached to a tub of poutine. Enjoy!

Alright, about your distress... you're telling me to read between the lines, but you also try to kill ponies for not waiting for clues to solve all the mysteries surrounding you. I did see Twilight in the hospital, you know, and your temper is something to be feared. That's something I think you're actually somewhat proud of.

It's great that you're making progress with Luna and that you don't appear to be imposing your presence anywhere. You're really doing spectacular! I swear to the gods, Sombra, you're stand-off approach is actually kinda sweet. It's Very Not Creepy and you should keep it up! I never really took you as the type to initially be a quiet and admiring type. This is almost shy of you!

I've also included some butterscotch candies for you to give to Luna whenever you two are talking again. They're her favorite candy, and I don't think that there's going to be any on that ship of yours.

Hehe, ship.

Back to serious matters. I don't think I can say outright what I think you're suggesting but I'm going to ask you if you know what the word 'asexual' means.

I'm entirely serious when I write 'please don't hurt me' here,

Hopefully Still Best Niece

...

Mac,

Of course I know what that word means, and you certainly exercised a decent amount of caution there. Interesting, but still a predictable course of action for you. Oh well, I doubt anypony in this world other than Luna will ever truly surprise me.

But yes, I know of that term. What of it?

I can do little but speculate on why you brought up the topic. The only guess I can put forth is that you know somepony who is.

-Sombra the Enigma

...

Uncle Sombra,

I've been operating as your matchmaker wing-mare under the assumption (please don't kill me for assuming this) that you are asexual. Thus, you wouldn't mind being in close proximity to somepony, but perhaps despised contact with them or would be hesitant to do so yourself. Also, the big obvious point that I thought you wouldn't mind this because you didn't feel physical attraction anyway, at least based on my assumptions.

You get me?

When I first met you, I had also assumed (there's that word again) that you were aromantic and didn't want anything to do with anypony beyond friend-stuff-maybe type things. That was until I found out that you were interested in Auntie Luna, and very romantically too! Then, I presumed you were something else, like maybe biromantic... or just anything more compatible with your attraction to her. I wasn't planning to ask otherwise, since I get letters from ponies all across Equestria asking for romantic advice and know ponies of all orientations, and because you're incredibly private as it is. This wouldn't be difficult for me to help you with, since I have faith in you, no matter what you are. You're my friend!

The weird part about being the Princess of Love is that everypony expects me to be pansexual when I'm the literal straight mare to your mad antics.

Because of the way you spoke about certain things - and your solitary desires - I had assumed too much. I'm sorry about that. You reminded me of many of the ace ponies I've corresponded with, in that regard, and one in particular, who I know very well. I guess I know less about you than I realized.

Sincerely Sorry,

Worst Niece

...

Mac, I would have rather you assumed that I was asexual over other possibilities. The observations you must have made had some merit. You're not the worst niece, okay? You're still better than the purple abomination that bows to Celestia on cue, even if you are still the pink one. You can go back to slapping stickers on every letter you send now.

I'm honestly not sure what I am, though. I don't think that there is a word for it, regardless of how well I could describe this to a partner. There certainly wasn't a word when I last checked. Never in my life was I thinking of romance until after I had met your aunt. I have a love for myself, but it isn't nearly the same, and my great love for your aunt exceeds it by far.

This isn't something I am willing to be very open about either, so continue to tread carefully in what you ask me. Very carefully, I should say. I was referring to no platonic partner.

I probably could have passed as an aromantic asexual, as you've called them, for the first few 123 years of my life. I won't go into the matter, since you're not the princess to hear that. So, don't ask. Ever.

If you do, I will not hesitate to hurt you. Just accept this as a warning.

Really, I know everything about what I am, except for the name. It's a bit puzzling, but I've never had much of a reason to dwell on it. Centuries ago, it confused me, but now? I'm beyond questioning any part of my identity I can think of. Did you think my confidence was a fraud? I love whom I love, and I love Luna. I love her as a mare. I most certainly would love her as a stallion. Were Luna neither, I would still love Luna.

When I was unfortunate enough to live in the Crystal Empire, I read as many books as I could find, mostly the ones dealing with history, art, math, mechanics, physics, science, and magic. I read much on philosophy and assorted treatises, but none still exist. I didn't read much that would include the current subject, the closest I recall being flipping through books on the mind and culture. I can't say that it was a subject I ever paid much attention to, since I already understood various reasons ponies were attracted to one another. Although I, for many reasons you could find obvious never sympathized with this. I never cared whether they fell in love with a mare, stallion, or somepony who didn't identify as either, and all those lovely things that ponies spend fractions their lives obsessing over.

I'm saying this to you because I want to make it clear that I don't retain any prejudices from the Tribal Era, even though this subject is nothing but an overblown mess to me, when I'm confident in myself.

Even I'm not sure what falsehoods about me have reached your ears. I'm not a bigoted fool like other historical figures.

Then, it didn't matter to me. I was as apathetic to that aspect of ponies, as I still am to majority of my surroundings. It barely matters to me now. Anything or pony external of Luna might as well not exist, since I care so little about them, though you can be very tolerable. There's just nothing to feel for anypony else.

Egh. Enough rambling on my part. I hate talking about that part of my life, and part of me loathes to tell you any of this. You aren't the right mare, and the words are a bit too raw to me when I write them here.

The only ones listed in the books I read were: asexual, bisexual, the one you mentioned being mistaken for, the one that received the most notable backlash from the Tribes, and the everyday one.

Are there any new terms for them? I haven't got a clue.

Out of all the ones listed there, I am only familiar with the second because of somepony close to me. Gods, he was such a mess, and I had to go into his mind in order to access information about him. Stupid minds are just the worst kind of mess. He hid this from Starswirl because he was, well, Starswirl. It certainly took a toll on him to the point he would deny it entirely the few times I asked about it, among other things.

Gods.

I inherited copies of all the things that kid ever thought, and gods that just made his mind a much worse one. In the Crystal Empire, nopony cared what he was in that regard, but he was too violent for anypony to love. Each filly or colt he thought was desirable in his own odd Onyx-like way was faced with his foolish, possessive, and immature infatuations. These mostly consisted of pulling others' manes, and then laughing at them. Even at that stage of his life, other foals knew enough to hate him, or run away because they knew what he would become, to some extent. Their mutual annoyed moods would clash, because even then that child sought the first foul pangs how he desired to own another. When he was older and under Starswirl's jurisdiction, those inner desires had begun to grow fairly violent, and it leaps and gallops this only increased.

This was my inheritance, niece.

It was a sick, broken mind, Pink One. Out of everything you could refrain from asking me again, do not ask me about the mind of Onyx, because there is little I want to repeat.

There's so much to hate about him: the nature of his haphazard ambitions, his cruelty, and how he squandered his time on the worst of worldly things. Everything. He was shallow and dull-witted: if paint a rock gold and he'd think it was gold, if you speak of mares as a trophy, then he will lust for many. Appearances were all that mattered to him, and that's what was bound to deceive him.

But yes, I don't fit into any of the terms I listed above.

-Sombra the Enigma

...

Uncle Sombra,


I'm still Best Niece! Hooray! Sorry for such a short letter, I spent most of the time I use to write you letters scribbling down this list for you, so you can learn something about yourself via helpful charts. You were open enough to admit you already sorted your feelings, and just needed a name that sounded right, so hopefully this will help you start putting centuries of certainty into something you can communicate. To make up for this lack of words, I've sent you more poutine (and lied about eating it all myself so the kitchens think I'm a fat slob in those polite little Crystalline heads of theirs) and adorned this letter with many stickers. Plus, the attached list is written with glittery gel pens.

There is no escape from the bedazzled existence I live.

-Mac

P.S. I promise that I won't ask you about Onyx. He sounds scary.

...

Yes, continue to make sacrifices to me! Pizza and poutine are certainly worthy of existing in the same world as I, but I think some glitter pens are in order, since I admit that they intrigue me greatly. Plus, I'm running out of books on the subject of dear old rationality, which isn't something that will go unremedied. I am certain that if somepony with a hypothetical sum of many bits from being the hypothetical ruler of a horrid (but completely hypothetical) empire were to go on a hypothetical shopping spree and lawfully purchase me good books the problem would be solved. We wouldn't want a (very, very non-hypothetically) dashing, lawless young stallion to hypothetically harm her loved ones, now do we?

You wouldn't want your favorite and fabulous uncle to be stuck in an airship (with a nifty pocket dimension from yours truly) with the most beautifully crazy mare in the world, and not have some decent reading material. Remember, I may be on a mission to become your uncle (I want to see you try and fail to come up with a better name for this trip) that also involves preserving this pedestal of a world, but nopony said that I would let you live in it, and even if they did I wouldn't listen.

Buy me nice things. Spoil me thoroughly.

I'd also like your answer on when I should tell her, since there's no way I should try this without at least looking at a second opinion.

I think she's starting to think of me as a friend. That is something I don't want, and not for selfish reasons, I assure you. If she thinks of me as her friend then she'll only want me, and be comfortable with me, as a friend. I can never think of her that way, nor would I be able to endure the mind games I'd be playing on myself from being so close to her and unable to express any loving affection. Eventually, I could end up hurting us both by having to bury everything under half-truths. I would have to progressively distance myself from her, by my own efforts or the inevitable result of the games. Or, gods know I might cave into my own wants and trying to get closer to her when she has no idea that I'm drawn to the point where her very presence itself is addicting to me.

I can't bear to hurt her like that, nor can I bottle up emotions like this. I've never done anything like that to this extent before, never. It's starting to mess with my head, which I certainly cannot have if we're going to be doing something this important. I still have side objectives and answers that I need.

If I know anything about emotional turmoil - and oh, believe me I know so much more than most, and not all of it is from my own experiences - it's that never conceal something that would be equal to pointing a dagger at your own heart.

You know what? I'm not going to wait so long anymore. I've waited 1,101 years just to see her again and there are plenty of advantages to my situation if I can bend them to my will, and get the perfect circumstance for me to tell her without there being any injury to both parties.

I've got an eye for opportunity, and I'm not going to wait desperately forever; I need to tell her sooner rather than later.

If you send me any letter that says otherwise, I will ignore it because this has to be done. Despite how illogical and whimsical this sounds, this confession of mine is - or at least feels - star-crossed.

There is no way to persuade me to do otherwise, because after this I'll be cutting off the pocket dimension I use to ferry our letters. They'll only be dumped in a limbo until I open it again. If you try to tell Luna, I'll have you know that I have means to intercept any communication you attempt to send, as well as the means to harm you if necessary. While you don't know a lot about me, you certainly know enough. Which means that you've seen what I can do to those who get in my way and I can withhold the mercy that I've given you since our first meeting.

Do not cross me. Do not betray me. Say nothing at all, and all you love will be spared. Always choose your allies carefully, because while I'm too far away for you to harm, you're a sitting duck who has spilled her secrets little by little, and you've done it blindly.

The best enemy is an ally, Mi Amore Cadenza, the one who has vowed never to hurt you while holding the knife to your throat.

Do not have it be me.

I suggest that in whatever pleas you make, you refrain from asking or bringing up anything personal. I've let you get away with more than enough in our most recent letters, and am not going to continue to tell you things that only your Aunt Luna and I have a right to know.

This is your warning. I may have none of my blood but you are still close enough to me to matter even just a little bit. Do not make me sacrifice you as Celestia does a pawn because I truly do care for you, although not as much as I do for her, you must understand.

Do not make yourself something for me to gamble away. If I truly have to, I might as well risk you. If you take your title as Best Niece seriously, then you'll obey me without question just this once, for you've already been given your second chance, and I'll have you know that three isn't your lucky number. I'm still a demon.

-Sombra the Enigma

P.S. If you're really curious your list has labelled me as 'demisexual grayromantic'. I suggest we break contact, as if you'll be given a choice. Wait until you hear from me again.

...

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

After much investigation, it seems the Sky Scraper - the missing military ship - was not taken by anypony in Canterlot.

Unfortunately, I should not have let the newest recruits deal with any information regarding the Sky Scraper case because one private, whose name I will not mention, misplaced the entire file and it wasn't found until recently.

Instead of allowing time to be wasted because of an annoying but pardonable offense, I had a unicorn whose special talent is detecting and identifying lingering traces of aura.

He found Luna's at the docks.

It's weeks old.

Luna has been missing for months and isn't even likely to be in Equestria any longer, and the problem is she is not alone. There was another trace of magic present as well but it was unable to be identified by the stallion who had not obtained anything to track down the unidentified pony with. They might not even be a pony.

I've been poring over books as you do, worried sick about who my sister. I want to bring her home, Twilight, and I cannot stress that enough. Is she alright? Where does she plan to go? What does she plan to do? Does she realize that she is endangering everypony by not working at this slowly and skeptically?

If only there was some assurance that I wasn't trying to manage my rash sister from afar, but I have had none. Yet, there is something you can do to progress my search. In the old castle Luna and I shared within the Everfree, the one where you found the Elements, that is there is a book in the decaying library with an age prevention charm on it that has remarkably advanced spells for pinpointing the identity of various spellcasters without many physical clues. I never thought that such a book would be needed, nor did I think to bring it with me after her banishment, as I was as mad with grief as I am mad with worry right now.

Could you send it to me? I've written the title on the back of this letter, which I'm thankful to have time to scribble out in between meetings with the members of the Equestrian military that remain within Canterlot and the doubled royal duties.

Have you seen that the moon still rises and sets as I do? Only she has the power to control it, so she must be free of imprisonment if she is able to regularly and liberally use her magic.

Unless somepony with power to be reckoned with was able to break her goddess' mind and control her. I sit here on the throne, helpless without even the hint of my sister's whereabouts knowing that she could have been harmed by a cruel being if she ventured to lands I have only heard of and only my sun has seen. Her mind is so connected to her heart, my Luna, and I'm afraid that both are wounded by what she has been through.

This would enable anypony that has discovered even hints of forbidden magic that my light has yet to purge from this world to harness the Goddess of the Night and Dreams' power for their own selfish gain.

I have no idea what really lies on the Western Continent, so far from us, and with immigration and emigration between the landmasses are virtually non-existent, and even trade with those nations can prove tricky. All I know is that Neptune, my cousin who rules the world below in Aquastria has reported that after a great historical turmoil in the East, the West retreated into solitude and few have heard anything from there since.

This world is a big place Twilight Sparkle, and I'm afraid it's big enough for my sister to get lost in, just as she has gotten lost within herself before.

Is it so wrong that I wish to protect the only family I've ever had? I think not. The only way ponies can achieve greatness is if they work together.

When you harnessed the Elements and brought Harmony to light once again, you knew this and that is one of the most important lessons you learned was that strength - and magic - comes from those around you, and nopony else.

Sincerely,

H.R.H. Princess Celestia

...

Dear Princess Celestia,

It has been a long time since you have gotten a letter from me hasn't it? This, as you can tell, is not Twilight's writing but that of her marefriend, Rarity. Twilight has come down with a bit of an early autumn cold - you know, the ones where you cannot help but sniffle and stay in bed tucked under the sheets feeling dizzy and tired all day? Yes that, I'm afraid Twilight had a head cold when you sent her letter.

Do not fret, Princess! I was able to locate the tome you requested with a rather clumsily drawn map from Twilight and the light of my horn. I have wrapped the book so it does not get damaged in any way as I send it your way.

I have also wrapped the entirety of a strange sword I found in the woods with old cloth. I thought you might be interested in it. The blade is made of onyx and is a tad weathered. I found it stuck in the ground and looks as if it had been there for some while based on the condition. Is this a sword of legend?

I do wish that a clue in Princess Luna's disappearance is found for both Equestria's sake and your own, Princess. She is your sister after all, and I can only imagine the stress you must be experiencing - that I would have to go through if Sweetie Belle were to disappear.

With all of Equestria on the look out for her, she's bound to be found soon.

Stay strong, Princess. You have both Twilight, Spike, and my own well-wishes.

-Rarity

...

Dear Twilight & Rarity,

This sword that Rarity was found belonged to King Sombra and was given to him by Princess Cadance. To make sure that we didn't have anymore of a crisis on our hooves I tested the sword.

The aura lingering at the docks matched the traces on this sword. To say this does not bode well is an understatement.

An immortal murderer, the famed slaughterer of the crystal ponies and tyrant king of the north may have kidnapped my sister, the co-ruler of Equestria. As soon as you and Twilight can I need you both to rush to Canterlot right away. Please do not bring anypony else, strength may lie in numbers but this has already gotten very out of hoof and nopony else can be risked in such matters when some virtues of Harmony must remain in Equestria during such times.

I'll have a letter sent to Cadance right away detailing what I'll need her to do. But as for you and Twilight, you'll be needing a ship of your own, and a much faster one at that if you're to catch up with King Sombra's head start.

I will have maps detailing the routes along the eastern coast I'll need you to take, scouring the land is a duty I will assign to Discord. You and Twilight will be responsible for searching the east of both Equestria and the southern continents for my sister. Twilight knows how to fly an airship because I know that Shining Armor taught her, so you will not need to worry about captains or crews. Provisions will be given to you both, of course.

Shining Armor's presence will be needed in the Crystal Empire since I will need to be in close contact with him for matters regarding the Equestrian military and the duties of the guard in these kind of events. Cadance will have to search the west coast alone, I'm afraid. You will both be given the means to contact one another frequently and I've labelled a town in the sourthernmost country of Germaneigh on both yours and her maps. I want you all to meet here and compare anything that you've found, and be sure to spread the word of needing to find Luna along the way.

If possible, locate Sombra as well. He is dangerous and not to be trusted nor will much information about him be available or true. Private records will be available to Twilight if she needs more information on him that she doesn't already have and if those prove to be inadequate then I suggest contacting Cadance.

She was unfortunate enough to come into contact with him on a quest of her own and he was able to manipulate her into trusting him. I have faith that Cadance will be able to provide detailed accounts of his flaws and weaknesses. After seeing what he did to Twilight on their last encounter, I think you can understand some of the fury she must feel towards him upon realizing she'd been tricked.

Please take extra care to make sure the same does not happen to either of you.

Sincerely.

H.R.H. Princess Celestia

Author's Note:

[Sombra feels romantic attraction rarely, but strongly. The in-between of being utterly romantic and not.]

PreviousChapters Next