• Published 13th Jun 2012
  • 3,461 Views, 74 Comments

Camo the changeling - M Specter



Camo is second in command of the entire swarm everyone looks up to him, but after the invasion he gets swept off to ponyville were he struggles with his loyalties. His new friends or his queen.

  • ...
17
 74
 3,461

Chapter 1

Chapter 1


My life was always filled with the need for shapeshifting just to acquire love and in doing so, feeding the hunger of the swarm.

The hive for the swarm was in a mountain just outside Equestria’s borders. Most changelings, the individuals that make up the swarm, that weren't on duty resided here. Furthermore, the lowest ranking changeling went out to fetch love for the newest hatchlings of the swarm.

The next ranking changelings went and fetched love for as long as possible and came back with enough love for the entire swarm. Normally, that's the extent of the rankings but sometimes, it isn’t that simplistic. On rare occasions, our very own Queen, named Chrysalis would look over the entire swarm and pick certain to become the elites or generals of the entire swarm. There were only eight of these generals and even then, there was a higher rank after that.

That's where I come in. Queen Chrysalis herself saw how amazing my abilities were and specifically chose me to become her personal bodyguard and right hand changeling.

Even when I was little my mimicking skills outweighed even the most experienced of changelings, and the instant the Queen saw my skills, I acquired the position.

Usually changelings don't have names only the higher ups. The lower ranks were just called drones. So when I was appointed she named me Camo short for camouflage. Over the years, she continually praised me on my abilities and as well as my ability to handle every situation adequately while maintaining a cool and determined attitude.

Getting back to the present, right then, the Queen requested a meeting of the generals. So, like normal, the eight generals returned to the hive without any hesitation. Each general had a specific town, village, or city to guard as well as trusted inferiors to take over for them in the case of these meetings.

I didn't care who the generals were and what their names were as long as they serve the Queen as best to their abilities, and they all certainly did.

Chrysalis hadn't arrived yet I was there to see to it that everyone was here, and they were.

The room consisted of a giant rectangular table in the middle with a green and black table cloth over it. The room was adorned with posters of queen chrysalis herself looking quite classy and graceful. On the left of where I sat, there was a window that revealed the towering mountains and the luscious forest beneath them.

Anyway, as I sat in my seat I could see that most of the changelings were getting...somewhat antsy, because they were tapping their hoofs on the floor or trying to indulge themselves with the scenery around them.

However, soon the Queen entered the room and quickly sauntered over to her seat next to me.

Once seated, she said, in a strong voice, "Good afternoon, my little changelings. I trust your travels have been well."

All eight of them responded. "Yes, of course, my Queen."

The Queen nodded. "You all know my advisor Camo, correct?"

Most of the responses that came out were audible groans and grunts of dislikes. They didn't like that there was another changeling in charge of them. I rolled my eyes in response.

She continued. "Well, I've called this meeting to inform you all that soon we will strike the heart of those love filled ponies. Yes, we will invade Canterlot soon!"

There was some murmuring amongst the generals. I couldn’t hear most of their conversations, so I just waited until it died down.

Afterwards, the Queen began speaking again. “I know we are not known among many ponies throughout Equestria so I propose that we attack Equestria by feeding off the love of the most loving couple in Canterlot. Once we succeed, no changeling would be hungry ever again!”

Afterwards, there was a brief moment of silence. Subsequently, one general began to clop, and soon all eight put their hooves together. All of them looked ecstatic, and couldn’t wait to carry out the Queen’s plan. Since nopony knew us, the generals never had time to fight which bored them immensely.

I honestly didn’t care about the plan, but if it made the Queen happy, that’s all I care about. When the clopping subsided Chrysalis spoke again. “Now return to your posts! Tomorrow I will send messages to your horns explaining the plan. Go!”

We stood up and proceeded to walk out of the room the guards blocking the doorway allowed us thru and we started to walk down the hall.

“My queen, are you sure this is the right plan of action we should take to survive?” I asked inquisitively.

“Of course. You of all people should trust my judgment, Camo. I have never steered my people in the wrong direction and I don’t plan on starting now!” I chuckled a little to myself at that.

“My children are dying, more and more each day and the thing that is killing them the most is hunger. There screams of pain echo through my mind each day and I feel this is the only way to solve it.”

Suddenly, I began to feel a little guilty and concerned, especially considering her black fur started to look a little pale.

So, I asked, with concern ringing in my voice, “Are you alright, my queen?”

The queen smiled. “Yes Camo, do not concern yourself with me I will be alright.” Subsequently, she rubbed her hoof over the fur on my head.

“Let’s get some rest. Tomorrow, I’ll go over our plan of action.”

With a warm smile plastered on my face, I said, “That sounds fantastic. Good night, my queen.”

We arrived at the doorstep of her room, and after a few seconds, we parted ways. My room was next to hers so I quickly trotted in there and settled into my bed. At last, I allowed the warmth from the covers drag me into eternal bliss as I drifted away.



As I woke from my slumber, I cracked open one eye then shut it as streams of bright light greeted my exposed iris. I repeated this process until my eyes got used adjust to the light, which takes much longer than you would believe. Finally, once I could see perfectly I tossed myself off of the bed and landed on the floor.

I quickly stretched my body to make sure all of my limbs had fully awakened for the day. I also flapped my wings letting out the audible buzzing sound that every changeling had grown accustomed to. After the test flight I headed out the my door and arrived at the queen’s door. Then, I quickly rapped on it after a little while a response came.

“Come in.”

Given permission, I entered into the room which was mostly dark so I had to wait for my eyes to adjust, but once they did, I saw the Queen slowly rising up. She let out a small yawn and hopped off her bed.

“Good morning, my Queen. I trust that you had a good rest?” I asked.

She responded. “Yes. However, now I need to instruct the changelings on what to do on the invasion.”

I nodded. “I understand. Do not let me distract you.”

In a matter of an hour every changeling was gathered around in the courtyard just outside of the mountains. It was a bright and sunny day I took it as a good omen for our invasion.

The queen spoke, again, with a powerful tone of voice. “OK, now that all of the changelings are here, I’d like to explain the invasion plan.”

Instantly, all got quiet and looked upon their queen with fire in their eyes.

“Camo and I will disguise ourselves and enter Canterlot castle we will then kidnap Princess Cadence. She is the bride to a pony named Shining Armor, and they have the most love we can feast on out of all of the couples in Equestria.

Once the kidnapping succeeds, I will banish her to the underground crystal mines. Once she arrives, Camo will make sure that every precaution is made so that she stays down there while I complete the invasion.

Also, the generals will watch and take care of you all outside of Canterlot where you will stay hidden. Finally, once I send you the signal you will attack and obliterate the city. And that’s it.”

After that, all of the changelings let out cheers of joy. Considering this was a full scale invasion I had no doubt in my mind that it would be successful. At last, my race would receive the glory they deserved!

Authors note: Thanks to DarkShockBro for editing