• Published 20th Feb 2016
  • 1,105 Views, 46 Comments

Runaway - Kix



A young teen is fed up with the curves and twists life is seemingly throwing at her and desperately tries to escape to forget herself a new life.

  • ...
5
 46
 1,105

Chapter Two; Arrival- Chrysalis

Sitting at my desk I can’t help but go over the file I found that possibly belongs to the runaway girl. The one I’m staring at now is more complete, including a full history. Can’t blame her for wanting to run after seeing how she’s been treated back where she’s from. I feel sorry for her. Sighing, I minimize the current window that I have been staring at for the past two hours.

“You busy in there, Chrys?”

I recognize the voice immediately before I even look up from my current screen. “And to what do I owe the pleasure of your company sweet, Tia?” With a couple clicks I change the screens around to some orders I should have been working on. “How are you and Sunset doing, by the way? Still upset that I bought her her own motorbike?”

“Yes I am, thank you for giving her something that gives me heart attacks every time I watch her take off on it. Scares me even more when I think how reckless she could be on it when I’m not there. But that isn’t why I came here, I was wondering if you could look up any more information on that girl a…..”

“Already did Tia, and what I found is not good at all. I’ve already started gathering information on the foster families and system in her hometown, gonna send it to Posey so she can start an in depth investigation. The latest family she was with before running away is offering a fifty thousand dollar reward for either her return or leads that will lead to her return. Though I am planning on sending them a message personally.”

“Now Chrys, you should know better than to let your emotions get to you.”

Hmph, seems the old Tia is still there after all. “Yes, mother. And speaking of mother, I see you back there Sunset, how are you doing?” The fiery-haired girl steps out from behind her foster mom with a weak smile, no doubt from overhearing the conversation. Or it could be from coming inside the building, I’m not sure.

“Hey Chrysi, I’m doing good thank you.” It’s obvious by her biting her lower lip and constant fidgeting that she’s nervous about something. “Did you….. did you find out why she ran away from her family?”

“Unfortunately, yes I did and no, I’m not going to go into details with you. If Celestia wants you to know, then she can tell you. What I will say is that it is very important we find her first, and I may have a few ideas where to start looking if she’s following a pattern.” I give the girl a smile, full of confidence before turning off my computer and stretching. “And right now, it is getting too late to work any longer. I have a date with Luna to get ready for. Did you drive yourself or did you ride with mommy Tia?”

Her frown turns almost fully upside down as she narrows her eyes at me in a challenge. “Oh, you are so…..”

Tia’s hand on Sunset’s shoulder and angry gaze silences her before she can continue. The look causing Sunset to swallow nervously. “Sunset, don’t you DARE go through with that, and when we get home, we are going to have a SERIOUS talk about your new bike. And don’t think you’re getting out of this lecture scott free, Chrys.” Her words bring out a groan of frustration from Sunset as a chuckle escapes from my chest.

“Honestly Tia, you haven’t learned that lesson yet. I am so disappointed in you.” With another chuckle, I follow the mother-daughter pair out the building and give them both hugs, watching with amusement as Sunset drives her bike pathetically slow with Tia driving right behind her, but at a safe distance. I wonder, what would it be like having a kid of my own? Eh, don’t go there, you know your job won’t allow it. Besides, you don’t even know how Luna would feel about it.

Before I start up my bike, I pull out my cellphone and dial a number I rarely use. C’mon, pick up. As much as I hate talking to this person, I know he’d be the best one to help with the search. “Hey, I know we have….. history but that isn’t why I called. There is a runaway in town who needs our help, I’ll send you the information I have in a little bit, including some of the places that she’ll more than likely frequent. Good luck.”