• Published 20th Feb 2016
  • 1,102 Views, 46 Comments

Runaway - Kix



A young teen is fed up with the curves and twists life is seemingly throwing at her and desperately tries to escape to forget herself a new life.

  • ...
5
 46
 1,102

Chapter Nine; Cracks in the Armor- Moonshade

Author's Note:

Must be a good day or something, got two chapters posted and the cover image.

“Sounds sssooooo easy. What is in it for them, for you if I were to try and trust you guys, huh?” Growling the words out, I slap her hand away and turn to look at the opposite door.

“Well, for me it’s a chance to help someone who has been placed in a somewhat similar situation. To help you to not only learn to trust, but to also positively deal with all those negative feelings and thoughts you have. Also, it’s a chance to show you a better life is available to you. Please give us a chance to help you.” Looking back at her, she offers a hand and a soft smile which I reluctantly take.

“I guess I will. Not like I can stop you guys anyway for a while. You’ll have until this cast is removed to make your case. And when I say enough or no that means enough, got it?”

“Sure thing, I’m glad you’re willing to at least try.” At this point, Celestia renters the room while smiling. “What is going on mom?”

“How have you two been getting along? I haven’t heard any shouting or things breaking, so it must be somewhat good.” Celestia’s smile at Sunset brings a pang of longing in my heart, but I keep it from showing with little difficulty. “Well, I hope you two are able to keep this civility up, because after talking with Luna and Posey, I would love to take you in for a while Moonshade. That is, if you don’t mind.”

“Really?” Was that….. was that a wisp of….. hopefulness I heard in my words? I hope not, at least not yet, not until I know I can trust them.

“Sorry ladies, but visiting time is over. You’ll have to leave.”

Thank you doctor….. whoever you are.

“Seems you were starting to warm up to them, looking forward to seeing them tomorrow?” Posey asks from the doorway with a smile.

“They were….. Okay I guess.”

“Well goodnight Moonshade, I’ll see you tomorrow.” With a huff, it takes me a few hours but I’m finally able to sleep, albeit dreamlessly. Which I guess is a blessing.

The next morning, I wake up to my stomach growling. With a grumble of my own, I turn the t.v. on, not caring about what is on. “Morning Moonshade, sleep well?” Looking away from the t.v., I watch as Posey walks in, carrying a tray of food. “I know it isn’t the best, but it’s something. And I’m glad to hear you want to give them a chance.” It’s at that moment I spot someone else behind her. “By the way, you have a visitor.”

“LILY? Is that….. is that really you? How did you….. when….. ouch, careful!” I do a double take at the sight of what could be considered my only friend who is standing beside me, beaming.

The girl I remember from my old foster home gives me a tight squeezing hug again as tears flow from her eyes. “I got here last night, thanks to that woman Chrysalis. She….. she went after them pretty hard. Unfortunately I can’t stay, gotta go and talk to Posey.” With another hug she takes off, following the woman happily.

***** ***** *****

How long I’ve been alone since Lily left I have no clue, but my latest nap is interrupted by Sunset knocking on my door. “How are you Moonshade? Up for a game of cards or dominoes?”

“I guess dominoes.” With the tray in place, we begin shuffling the dominoes and pick out our seven before playing. “Aren’t you supposed to be with your other friends instead of here with me?”

“Normally yes, but you need me here more. How good is the Daring Do series?” The question comes as she sits next to me and the stack of books on the bedside table. As we begin to play, I can’t help but feel myself relax a bit more around the older girl.

“It is a really good series, lots of action and tense moments. A lot of situations where she creatively finds ways out of danger. I guess if you want, I can see if you can borrow the first book.”Do I really….. do I really want to take things a little further with Sunset? I know Lily would want me to, but….. I just….. I don’t know.

“Afternoon Moonshade, how are you feeling?”

“Hey doc, I’m doing alright I guess. How much longer till I’m able to leave this place?” I watch him with a bit of caution as he shuffles through some papers.

“Actually, you can leave here as soon as we find you a place.”

“Thanks. Hey Sunset, what….. what is it like at your place?”

A smile graces her mouth as if knowing what I was going to ask. “The house is huge, though it only has two stories. There is a spare room on the main floor which can be set up to temporarily house you, it’s actually the closest to the living and dining rooms for ease of use. Also, it’s right next to mine if you ever need any help or just want to talk. Do you mind if I make a call real quick?” The red and blonde haired teen’s tone raises a little in what I’m betting is excitement.

“Sure.” I really, really hope this won’t be another mistake. The call only lasts for about ten to twelve minutes but Sunset returns, beaming.

“Well, mom and I guess Posey will be here in about thirty minutes.”