• Published 17th Feb 2016
  • 1,705 Views, 32 Comments

Bonding Marks - booksmart



After a hard year Applejack struggles to recover while loves blooms amung the Main Six.

  • ...
13
 32
 1,705

Parental Guidance

Spike kicked a stone down the dirt path towards Sweet Apple Acers. He was walking along side Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. He was still mulling over the rejection from Rarity, not that it should have surprised him, it was a doomed crush to begin with. What hurt most was the realization of what he had done to Twilight. She may have betrayed him in a way, by trying to take his mare, but that betrayal paled in comparison to what he had done onto her. What had he been thinking tying one of the most powerful ponies in Esquestria to her bed? It was such a stupid move and Twilight was never going to trust him again, not that he really expected her to. He looked to the young couple next to him. Scootaloo’s wing was drapped across Sweetie Belle’s back and they walked comfortably beside each other.

“So you aren’t pulling a prank on me?” Spike asked.

Sweetie Belle sighed, “No Spike. She really dose like you. Why do you think she punched you?” There was no further conversation as they approached the farm stead. They passed by the barn as they heard crying.

“Celestia I love you so much,” Rainbow Dash’s strained voice fell through the open loft door.

“What do you think got her so upset?” Scootaloo whispered.

“She’s your idol,” Sweetie Belle whispered back.

“I know and the Rainbow Dash never cries!” Scootaloo responded harshly.

“I’m sorry AJ. I didn’t mean to–” Rainbow Dash’s voice came again.

“Oh Dashie…don’t yah worry none…just let it all out,” Applejack’s voice followed.

“Should we check on them?” Spike asked.

“If’in ya want to get yer flanks kicked,” Apple Bloom’s voice came from behind them, “What can ah do fer y’all?”

Sweetie Belle smiled far too wide for her face, “Spike wanted to talk with you.”

Spike looked to Apple Bloom he saw nervousness flash across her face.

“We just made sure he got here,” Scootaloo stated before being poked by Sweetie Belle.

“Well then…Spike what can ah do fer ya?” Apple Bloom asked. Spike looked between the smiling couple and Apple Bloom.

“Could we speak privately?” he asked. Apple Bloom nodded and led him away from the barn. Spike watched her as she moved. She certainly was an attractive young mare, but he didn’t feel that over whelming urge to be with her like when he was around Rarity.

“What do yah need?” Apple Bloom asked.

Spike nodded, “I wanted to talk with you about…that punch.” Really? You want to bring that up?

Apple Bloom seemed to blush as she turned her head, “Yah…Ah’m sorry ‘bout that.”

“Do you actually like me?” he asked suddenly. He saw Apple Bloom head shoot up, before she lowered it again.

“Yah, ah do,” she murmured. Spike nodded, he looked at her again. Rarity was off the table now, so why shouldn’t he give Apple Bloom a chance. Their relationship would be more likely to succeed then the hypothetical one between him and Rarity. Plus you didn’t need to be in love with someone to go on a date with them, right?

“Okay…” Spike began, “Are you busy on Friday?”

Apple Bloom’s head shot up again her eye’s wide, “Are yah asking me out?”

Spike nodded.

“What about Rarity?” she asked.

“If all goes well she’ll be with Twilight. It was a long shot to start with so…if you are still interested I owe you at least one date if what Sweetie Belle told is true.”

Apple Bloom smiled, “Ain’t never been more happy in second place. Ah ain’t got nothing going on Friday. How about a picnic in the east orchard?”

“I will pick you up at noon,” Spike answered smiling.


Rainbow Dash barreled rolled through the air. She felt lighter than ever now that she had let Applejack know her darkest secret. It felt so good, she felt free. And Applejack had stayed, she had let her cry it out and didn’t think any less of her, not that Dash had expected her to react any differently but it was still nice for her beliefs to be proven right. She sighed wistfully, once again she would have to find another way to show Applejack how much she loved her. That mare just kept upping the game.

Rainbow Dash landed in the park and quickly found her parents.

“There’s our Wonderbolt,” her mother, RainbowShine called.

“About time she showed up,” Rainbow Blazed grumbled.

Rainbow Dah rolled her eyes as she followed her parents to a small café. They sat, ordered, and ate in silence. A usual Dash family gathering. Once the meal was concluded Rainbow Blaze leaned on the table.

“So Dash. What’s new?”

Rainbow Dash shrugged, “Not much. Training and so on.”

Her parents exchanged glances, “Dash your father and I think it’s time you find a nice stallion to settle down with.”

Dash eyed her parents carefully, “That really isn’t any of your business.”

“You’re our daughter, your well being is our top concern,” Rainbow Blaze responded.

Dash scoffed, “Right. Just like when you threw me out.”

“We had no choice!” Rainbow Blaze protested.

“No dad, you had a choice. You threw me out as soon as you could.”

“Dash think about this for a second. Don’t you want to have someone to share a life with?”

I already have one, Dash thought, “I have no need to go looking.”

“Rainbow Dash you can be so stubborn. Everyone needs companionship,” Rainbow Blaze protested.

“Blaze, her wings are preened.” RainbowShine observed.

Dash fluttered her wings, “What dose that have to do with anything? I preen them all the time. It keeps them in good shape.”

“Your right honey. She doesn’t need to go looking. She already found a stallion.”

“What? How do you get that from my wings being preened?” Dash asked.

“The feathers were preened from behind. Unless you are incredibly flexible you would never get them from that angle,” he mother responded simply.

“Oh,” Dash responded. Who notices something like that? At least they still think it’s a stallion.

“You have to let us meet him,” Dash’s mother stated.

“Uhm…” Buck what do I do?

Rainbow Blazed looked deep in thought, “Is that why the town’s people said you’ve been spending so much time at that farm? Are you dating that big red stallion?”

“Oh Dash, you can do so much better than an earth pony,” her mother said shaking her head.

Resentment and rage filled Dash as her wings flared out aggressively, “And what is wrong with earth ponies?”

“Well for one, they don’t have wings,” Dash’s mother responded. Dash resisted the urge smack her mother.

“I’ll have you know that they are the most caring, responsible, honest, dependable, hardworking and beautiful pony I know and I am the luckiest mare in Esquestria to have them! Who bucking cares if they don’t have wings?” Dash snapped. She saw the shift in her father. That shift she knew all too well, the one that said she was about to be hit.

“Well, this stallion certainly has you wrapped around his hoof. What’s is his name?” Rainbow Blaze asked, evidently resisting the urge to hit Dash in public.

Rainbow Dash retracted her wings, “No.”

“No?” Rainbow Blaze asked.

“No. You will not meet them. They have been through a lot and the last thing they need is my disapproving racist parents breathing down their neck.”

“Rainbow Dash you will not talk to us that way.” Her mother scolded.

Rainbow Dash stepped back from the table and spread her wings.

“Where do you think your going young lady?” Rainbow Blazed asked, his voice filled with anger.

“Where do you think?”