• Published 17th Feb 2016
  • 1,694 Views, 32 Comments

Bonding Marks - booksmart



After a hard year Applejack struggles to recover while loves blooms amung the Main Six.

  • ...
13
 32
 1,694

Magazines Advice

“Rainbow Dash?” Apple Bloom asked softly. Dash turned to face the filly who was pawing at the ground, “Could I talk with yah. Alone.”
Dash eyed her carefully, “Sure thing kid.” She followed Apple Bloom into her room. Which was extremely similar to Applejack’s. “What’s on your mind?”

“I was wondering if yah could give me some advice about t’day?”

Dash shifted a little, “I’m not the best pony to ask about that kind of thing. Just ask Applejack.”

“Ah know. But Rarity’s ain't an option. Ah don’t want Applejack poking her nose in this anymore then necessary, plus she don’t need the stress of helping me. Twilight…is also a no go. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo are a different kind of couple and ah don’t want a relationship like d’at. Fluttershy's too shy, and Pinkie Pie is…Pinkie.” Apple Bloom explained.

“Well I suppose if you’ve gone through the entire list,” Dash said, not too surprise she was the last pony to come to mind, “What do you want advice on?”

“How to win m’ah pony.”

Dash arched an eyebrow, “You aren’t giving up?”

“Course not. Plus if there was a pony who knows how to not give up it’s probably you, or m'ah sister.”

Dash puffed up her chest a little, “Well yah, your right,” she paused for a second before continuing, “I got to know though. Is it a stallion or a mare? You know I won’t care either way.”

Apple Bloom buried her head in her hoofs, “Neither,” she whispered.

Dash stared at Apple Bloom, “Uhm…it kind of has to be one or the other. You know that right?”

Apple Bloom took a deep breath and shook her head, “Not if he’s a drake.”

“Oh,” Dash said slowly as the pieces fell into place. Apple Bloom’s anger towards Rarity because of Spike’s not so well hidden infatuation with her all made sense now.

“Yah...oh.” Apple Bloom grumbled, “The jerk didn’t even notice I got all gussied up to ask him on a date. He was too busy imagining him and Rarity.”

“What do you…he was…you know doing that…that’s what the picture was about,” Dash rambled absentmindedly as sorted things out. “What did you do?”

“Ah punched him. Hard.” Apple Bloom responded.

Dash smiled and chuckled, “Good. He deserved it.”

Apple Bloom seemed to relax, “You’re the only one who understood that.”

“It’s what I would have done. Not like I can say it was wrong. Besides what kind of guy doesn’t know when a mare’s flirting with him.”

Now Dash got the deadpan stare, “Ah know you ain’t no stallion, but y’all were oblivious to m’ah sister.”

“Can you blame me? Your sister’s hot. I thought she would go for a strong steadfast handsome earth pony stallion not a blue lightweight pegasus with a dream that would leave her alone for months on end. Besides I didn’t even know she was into mares.”

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes, but for the first time since that morning Dash saw a smile on her face, “I suppose. So what should ah do ‘bout Spike?”

“I could talk with him if you want,” Dash proposed, “or with Twilight.”

Apple Bloom pondered this for a minute, “No ah don’t want you talking with Spike that seems wrong. But maybe mention it to Twilight and tell her ah’m sorry.”

Dash tilted her head, “What are sorry about?”

“She’ll know what ah mean.” Apple Bloom said. She had that look that Dash knew all too well meant stop asking.

“Okay. Now I can ask you a question?”

“Go right ahead,” Apple Bloom responded.

“Why Spike?”


Applejack shifted on her mattress but no matter what she tried she couldn’t get comfortable. She finally resigned herself to being uncomfortable for the night and went back to pondering the question that had been nagging her. Why hadn’t Rainbow Dash said goodbye to her before leaving. Applejack had went upstairs while Dash finished the dishes, when she went back down the pegasus was nowhere to be seen.

Don’t get yourself worked up, she told herself. She sighed hopping all the thoughts of her doing something to anger Dash were just her mind being her mind. Depression seemed to tint even the best of situations. She decided she need a distraction and some release so she got up and pulled out her now favorite magazine. As racy as it was it still held pictures of her beloved pegasus and served as a good de-stressor to use. She was so engrossed in scanning over a photo of Rainbow on the beach, soaking wet she might add, taking in every curve of that athletic body, that she didn’t notice the door behind her open. When a sign song voice rang out she nearly jumped through the roof.

“Whatch’a reading?” Dash asked again as Applejack calmed down.

“Cornsarnit RD! Y’all nearly gave me a heart attack. Ah swear…” Appljack trailed off as Rainbow picked up the magazine she was reading. A blush redder then Big Mac’s coat spread across Applejack’s face when the pegasus looked at her with a smirk.

“I…I like the articles,” Applejack mumbled, knowing full well Rainbow knew why she had that magazine.

“Yah…just like I like the oranges on you flank,” Rainbow teased. Applejack’s ears fell, “Hey I’m not mad AJ. I’m more flattered then anything. I mean how could a mare go out with one that has body like mine and not be curious.” Rainbow continued wiggling her eyebrows.

Applejack nodded slowly, “Ah’ll get rid of it next chance ah get,”

Rainbow shook her head, “No way. But I do think it’s unfair that you’re the only one with sexy pictures of their marefriend.”

“No,” Applejack said firmly seeing where this was going, “If y’all want to gaze at m’ah flanks yah gotta some right to source.”

Rainbow Dash chuckled, “Watch what you wish for Miss. Applejack.”

Applejack rolled her eyes, “I take it your heading home for the night.”

Rainbow shook her head, “Nope. Granny gave me another pass. I get to spend it with you.”

Applejack’s ears perked up, “Really?”

Rainbow nodded, “Yep. I don’t think Granny Smith’s as much of a prude as we think she is.”

Applejack let the comment roll off her back as she jumped into the bed. She had been wanting to do something since she found out about Rainbow marking herself.

“Come here,” she said.

“AJ. Granny made me promise nothing more the cuddling,” Rainbow joked.

“Not that ya gutter brain!” Applejack hissed, “I want to preen your wings.” Dash happily obliged. Applejack got herself settles, leaning on top of Rainbow’s back and set to work. She loved the little whimpers that Dash would make when Applejack straightened a particularly painful feather. There was another side of the enjoyment as well. From what Applejack understood pegasus’s valued their wings as much as their lives and to let another pony preen them was a display of complete trust. It always made Applejack’s heart swell with pride knowing Rainbow Dash had that trust in her.

“Ya know…maybe ah should talk with Twilight about getting a mark m’ah self,” Applejack said as she gave Dash a peck on the flight mussel.

“You don’t want to do that,” Dash sighed Applejack stopped her preening.

“Why not?”

Dash shifted, “That was my outside voice?”

“Eeyup.”

“Look AJ. I know you love me and that’s all I need. You don’t need to mark yourself. You’ve proven your devotion a hundred times over. This was just me trying to show mine.” Dash explained.

“And if ah want to?”

“You don’t,” Dash said firmly.

“Rainbow are you okay? You’re mighty defensive over this,” Applejack asked repositioning herself to look Dash in the eyes.

“You’re not going to freak out?” Dash asked. Applejack simply shook her head. “It hurt. A lot. Like getting hit by a freight train hurt. It was one of the most painful things I ever did. I couldn’t fly for a few days after that because of how sore my muscles were. Twilight warned me about it but I didn’t listen. I don’t want you in that kind of pain. Not if I can help it.”

Applejack stared at her love shocked, “Y’all didn’t have to go through that for me,” she said softly.

“You didn’t have to give yourself that scare either. But we both did it and we’re stronger because of it right? I mean it couldn’t have been any worst then you and the knife.” Dash continued. Applejack silenced her with a force and passionate kiss.

“Ah love yah.”

“I love you too AJ.” Applejack finished preening Dash’s wing in silence, not an uncomfortable silence, but a peaceful silence. Then she and Applejack wrapped their hooves around each other. As Rainbow Dash drifted off to sleep in the embrace of the mare she loved she concluded that life was good.


Apple Bloom slowly closed the door to her sister’s room. Despite Scootaloo’s opinion, Rainbow Dash could certainly be mushy at times mushy. Apple Bloom imagined her and Spike curled up on a bed together, peacefully sleeping the night away. She nodded purposefully, Spike would be hers.

Author's Note:

Twilight's going after Rarity but so is Spike, but Apple Bloom is going after Spike. How can this end well?