• Published 11th Jan 2016
  • 13,393 Views, 1,386 Comments

A Penny for your thought - Damaged



A human finds himself yanked out of his own life and plunged, with no field guide, into Equestria!

  • ...
48
 1,386
 13,393

PreviousChapters Next
20 - Let's try that again

I noticed them, as we trotted along. Stick wore her scars, a deep green set of lines and one big splotch, well. "Noticed em now we are out of the dark room?" I nodded to her question. "At least you can pick me out of a crowd of us now."

"Stick, I could pick you out of a crowd before. You are the changeling that would trot over and snuggle." I blushed as I spoke, but I think I have worked all that out. I used to blush, feel embarrassed and close down.

I leaned in and nuzzled one trace of three green lines that trailed over her shoulder. Yup, just keep going. "You like them?" She nosed one of my ears while I licked and examined them.

"You took them protecting me. I love them because… because they remind me of just how amazing you are." I looked up from the slashes to her eyes. She booped me on the nose.

"Lets get on the train."

"Two for… two for the Crystal Empire. Can we get a seat in the front carriage?" Stick had approached the ticket booth.

It was a different pony today, thankfully, so no odd questions. "All private cabins up there, a few are still free-"

"We'll take one." I moved up beside Stick, pressing to her side and handing over what the sign said was the cost for that. It was more bits than just a normal seat, but there was no way we were going to be jumping every time the train gave a jolt. "Thanks!" I took the ticket and we made for the train.

"How is your magic feeling?" Stick pointed with a hoof at the carrot-dog vendor and I shook my head.

"Not this time and a little weak, just need to keep practicing. I don't think I want to strain like that again…" My slight downer was interrupted by fang-filled mouth nibbling on an ear tuft. I giggled.

No real luggage, except my now battered pair of saddlebags, we climbed into the carriage with an odd sense of deja-vu.

This time our ticket not only was for a particular car but also had a cabin number and upon locating it, we climbed in. To find two ponies already in there.

"How dare you, this is our cabin!" One of the two stallions had stood up, standing protectively in front of the other. "I will get the conductor this instant if you don't leave!"

I looked at the ticket in my soft reddish magic, then up to the number by the door. Something wasn't right here. "Maybe you should do that." Stick stepped to stand in front of me, her own horn starting to glow.

The second stallion started to sob, breaking the mood rather quickly. The brave one seemed to deflate and flop down. "Alright, we are going…"

Stick shuffled to the side but I stood at the door. "Nope, not happening, not until we hear this story."

"Please, we don't want trouble we just need to get away."

"No, sit down. You are running from something, why?" My words brokered no actions except what I had told them and they both just flopped on one of the two couches. I was almost amazed at myself, where had all this confidence come from? I turned to Stick and it hit me. She was amazing, she had stood up against the diamond dogs, she was ready to throw herself at two stallions... I had to be strong to be worthy of her.

Her horn snuffed out and we both climbed in on the couch opposite the two stallions. When they looked to each other I got a vibe, a distinct vibe. I smiled. They were cute when they looked at each other like that.

"You love each other." It wasn't a question, I could see it plain as day, the pair blushed and looked so glum I took it for assent. I remembered the talk with Muffins. "Not really the done thing here, for all ponies talk about acceptance and love, they deny two stallions that because…" I fished for a word to describe how undeniably stupid such a thing was.

Stick cut in for me, saving me from hanging. "We are going as far as the Crystal Empire, you are welcome to share our cab."

Two heads shot up and stared. "Why would you do that? Why aren't you calling us colt-cuddlers and throwing us out?"

I counted to three. The amount of anger I felt toward this aspect of pony culture was boiling my blood. As I got past two Stick beat me to a reply. "Because she is not a pony." I blinked, her confession shocked all the anger right away and I immediately wanted to know what angle she was playing here. "She was a human, a sick human, before she came here."

They were both intrigued by this enough to forget their own situation, although they were still pressed close. "There was more, Stick." I cut in, wanting to really shake them. In for a Penny, in for a… pound. "I was a stallion human."

Stick giggled at this, leaning in and nipping my shoulder.

"Can I continue the story?" Stick didn't wait for me to agree. "She doesn't think quite like other ponies. Oh, she thinks she does, but I watched as she looked horrified when a nice mare explained the social view of partnerships such as yours." She gestured to the pair with a hoof.

Their jaws were both open as the thoughts slowly tried to percolate down through their minds. "So… it isn't a bad thing in your world?" The one on the left, with the lighter yellow mane on white fur, recovered first.

I shook my head and grinned. "It isn't a bad thing in any world. You love each other right?" The second pony, brown mane and tail over green fur, looked to his partner. "Right?"

"Oh, yes!" The lighter stallion had turned to his mate and there was clear distraction there.

"Love isn't wrong." Stick cut in on me and I nipped her ear this time.

"She's right. It's society that has it wrong. My world wasn't perfect, not by a long shot, but we were changing perception. Can you believe it was just as 'wrong'," I made air quotes with just my front hooves, "for two mares to be together?"

I had their attention back. "So, where you two headed?" Stick cut in on me again and I just sighed as she turned half sideways and lay back against me, I used my magic to help brace her and distract her right back. "As we said, Penny and I are only on 'till the Crystal Empire."

The change of subject, though, seemed the right choice and I decided not to bite her ears.

Mr Light gave a smile. "Heard the griffons tend to get a little grumpy about all newcomers, figured it was as good a place as any and at least we can do something about that kind of bullying." I pondered, it was a good idea.

"We will miss being with ponies but, we will also not have to deal with ponies." Darker's reply was with a melancholy tone. "What about you two, a pair of unique beauties aren't likely to be running from the social scene, just after a new view?"

"A friend, an old friend. We had lost our way but met again briefly in Canterlot station, each headed to different corners of Equestria. Well, now I am done with my business in Ponyville and plan to meet up with him." Stick had rolled and uncurled, acting very feline-like in the way she was claiming our couch. It was adorable though, and I reached down to trace more of the marks on her shell. I noticed the stallion's eyes flick to Stick, a flash of jealousy quickly fading to a slight embarrassment. "You snuck into our cabin, you get to deal with a pair of mares who are overly affectionate. But I make a deal with you?"

The pair blushed but nodded slowly.

"You don't complain about us, we won't complain about you." I winked and leaned over, pressing my mouth down against Stick's and giving a happy sigh.

The train gave a jolt and we could hear a loud whistle come from the locomotive. We were moving and pulling from the station as the tracks slowly turned toward the north. "Hey, what is that?" Darker was gesturing out the window.

Stick and I sat up straight and looked from the window. Toward the end of town where Stick's hive was, a flash of green erupted, then another. "I don't know." I put a leg around Stick. "I want to know but get my mare out of the city at the same time. If it is good, yay, if it is something bad, they don't need a wounded unicorn and her marefriend to gawk at it."

Stick nodded in my grip but it wasn't convincing. I nuzzled her ears, sans nibble. "Come on, relax, two princesses and a queen in the city, what could go wrong?"

She sighed and turned. "Just an odd feeling. Where was I?" I blinked as she leaned in, mouth opening to close around my neck. No mental teeth, but I can't say this wasn't a close second for the 'scary-awesome things Stick does' award. As I turned to lay down and let her have her chew-toy, I noticed Mr Light nudge his friend, who was watching us, getting his attention and attentions.

This trip was with significantly less excitement, although I was a little hesitant to try our 'new thing' with Stick. We had told the pair that they could do what they wanted, too, but I think we were all just a little nervous about going too far in the one room. Neck biting was one thing, as were cuddles, but I didn't want to get caught, well, moaning.

The spot where we were attacked last time came and went. One of the stallions reported there was a buffet in the car and Stick lit her horn and dove into my bag where she pulled out some bits and trotted off.

"She likes taking charge?" I was the center of attention by both stallions.

"Does she shift for… well…"

My ears stood straight up and I blushed crimson, I am sure it was quite visible through my fur. "Well, that… none of your business." I looked up at them, daring them to try and keep going. I reached around my memories for a good reply. "Then who's the mare?"

Target hit! Both blushed.

"Turn about is fair play. Yes, we are holding back our attentions, no matter what I said before. And I know you two are." They lowered their heads and Mr Light nodded.

"We can't get past it either. Hiding so long, trying to avoid attention. It is hard to even relax and kiss with other ponies around." Stick came in at the end of his confession, a big plate with an oats burger and some hay fries.

Like always, she fed me, my horn remained unlit as first the burger, then the fries were consumed. Having watched in silence as Stick told me when to open my mouth and filled it, I found the stallions both looking a little perplexed. "Out with it." I burped a little, damn burgers.

"Your friend isn't hungry?" Darker pointed to Stick, who laughed.

"I am a changeling, I can nibble off her happiness any time I like."

Their jaws dropped a moment and pulled back closed. We sat in silence the rest of the trip, the green fading to browns and grays, then to white and brilliant flickers from hidden crystals in the snow.

As the train pulled into the station, we got up and Stick helped get my bags back on me and my shawl straightened, the least she could do of course since she had been the one to mess it up.

I was suddenly trapped in not one but two hugs as both stallions we suddenly close around me. It wasn't anything more than the simple happiness of understanding. "Bright Dancer." The lighter stallion gave one cheek a kiss.

"Star Leaper." The other repeated the gesture and they pulled back, grinning and getting back on the couch.

"You two are adorable. Star, Bright, I hope you both have the most wonderful lives." Stick leaned in and kissed each on the nose with a grin, finally trotting out with me as I waved a hoof. "They were nice, I hope they do find somewhere that just accepts them."

As we climbed off the station I saw the conductor waiting beside the car. "Two stowaways, weren't they?"

I sighed an nodded. Stick, however, gave him a wink. "All covered, right?"

The conductor pony nodded again and it was done. "When did you sort that out?" I kissed her cheek to express how happy I was she had.

"When I got some food. I figured they could use at least a little break and some alone time."

Author's Note:

Support me on Patreon or fuel my writing on Ko-Fi!

Join me on Discord. Warning, said chat may contain NSFW material and should be considered adult in nature.

PreviousChapters Next