• Published 1st Jan 2016
  • 2,014 Views, 51 Comments

Diamond and the Rough - Trinary



Dashverse: Rarity and Rainbow Dash are friends, but they don't have much in common. This becomes a problem when Princess Luna needs their help with the Equestria Summit and the two friends have vastly differing ideas on how to proceed.

  • ...
3
 51
 2,014

Chapter 2

Rarity’s excitement hadn’t slackened by the time they arrived at the castle. She all but leapt from the carriage. “Eeheee! We’re in Canterlot! At the palace!” She squealed, dancing up and down on her hooves.

Rainbow Dash emerged a moment later, feeling sore and sluggish. “Could’ve been here a lot sooner…” she grumbled.

She might as well not have spoken for Rarity was soon tugging on her wing. “Come along Rainbow, you simply must show me around!” Her eyes were practically shimmering as she beheld the shining glory before her.

“Alright, alright!” Rainbow shrugged as she led her to the front door of the place she’d lived in for years, usually bored out of her mind. Two guards stood on duty, who let them pass after a peremptory look. “Hey Silver, hey Steely. S’up?”

Rarity groaned. “Rainbow Dash—those are the royal guards! The pride and elite of Canterlot!” The two guards seemed to straighten up a little further—given they were already in their ‘on-duty mode’ (as Rainbow liked to call it) that was saying something.

“Don’t go on like that in front of them,” Dash warned. “You’ll just give them big heads.” Even the guard’s ingrained impassiveness was strained to the limit at that.

Rarity ignored the byplay, her breath caught in her throat as she reached the threshold into the palace. Her hoof was shaking a little as it slowly set down on the red carpet. Being less patient, Rainbow rolled her eyes and shoved her across. “Okay, so we’re in the castle now. Happy?”

“Really Rainbow…” Rarity grumbled. But her annoyance didn’t last long. “Oh it’s so elegant! I’m—I’m feeling inspired!”

“Not on me you’re not.” Rainbow took a step away from her. “Go be sweaty somewhere else.”

“I said inspire, not perspire!” Rarity quickly summoned her sketch book from her saddlebags and set about scribbling. “Honestly, how can you not be moved by all of—this?!” She gestured broadly at the stained-glass windows, the gardens and pond that lay just beyond them, elegant spiraling staircase, thick, rich carpets and drapes, and high-arched ceilings. Rainbow’s indifferent shrug only seemed to aggravate her more. Rarity harrumphed, tilted her nose up at her uncouth friend and resumed her furious sketching.

Rainbow waited…and waited…and waited…and after three minutes, she loudly cleared her throat. “You about done?”

“Rainbow Dash! You cannot rush creativity! I have so many ideas, I simply must sketch them out before I forget them! I could be looking at a whole new fashion line right here!”

“You are aware we’re here to help Luna, right?” Rainbow’s voice had a strained edge in it that she hadn’t intended.

Regardless, it still had the effect of getting Rarity’s attention. “Is something wrong?”

“No,” Rainbow shook her head—despite not feeling entirely sure herself. “It was nothing.”

“Rainbow Dash,” Rarity closed her sketchbook and put it away. “I want us to be more comfortable around each other. If I’m doing something that truly bothers you, please tell me.”

Feeling once again like a heel, Rainbow dug in her hooves. There was no way she could have this talk without looking like a jerk—especially since Rarity was extending the olive branch. “No, really, it’s fine. I guess the long trip made me kinda cranky. You go ahead and sketch for a bit.”

“I think I’ve sketched enough. The other ideas will keep until later. Now come!” She clapped her hooves together. “I always wanted to see your room!”

“My room?” Rainbow blinked owlishly. “Well, okay, but—s’not a big deal or anything.” She flew up and led Rarity through the hallways, heading towards the room she used to live in when she stayed at the palace. “I mean, I had my stuff sent to Ponyville ages ago—not like I was just going to leave it all behind to gather dust ‘n stuff. Celestia probably turned it into an exercise room or something.”

Rarity clucked her tongue. “Honesty, you say the most ridiculous things sometimes.”

“No, you’re thinking of Pinkie Pie.”

With an exaggerated sigh, Rarity let the remark pass. “Are you telling me that you haven’t been back here since Nightmare Moon returned?”

Rainbow came up short at the sudden realization that she, in fact, hadn’t. She had let Celestia take care of all the logistics and stuff—she never even came back to look the room over one last time before finalizing her move to Ponyville. She’d dropped by to see Celestia, but never her old room. Even she was surprised by her lack of attachment to the room she’d spent years in. Was I that eager to leave?

It was a good thing she knew the way to her old room so well; she was so distracted she could’ve flown head-long into wall and not realized it. She briefly wondered if Celestia would’ve left the room the way it was or if she would’ve changed it all so much that she wouldn’t recognize it … then wondered why both thoughts made her unhappy.

Soon she came to a stop and landed in front of a door with an unmistakable thunderbolt symbol on it. “Here we are,” Rainbow announced unnecessarily. She found herself hesitating and didn’t quite know why. It was the second time she’d felt that way today and Rainbow didn’t care for it. Brushing it aside, she opened the door and walked in. Rarity was in such a rush that she brushed right by Rainbow, gawking at the room. Dash would’ve called her on it, were she not doing the same thing.

The room was spacious, with high ceilings designed to appeal to pegasi who needed a little space. But that wasn’t what drew Rainbow Dash’s attention. While her possessions were now in Ponyville, the furniture was still all there. Hanging on the walls where her Wonderbolt posters used to be, there were now framed newspaper articles. About her.

“This room definitely has your décor stamped all over it,” Rarity quipped. Her smile was gentle though, and soon faded when she saw Rainbow was not smiling or defending herself. “Is something wrong?”

“I—I didn’t do this.” Rainbow pointed to one of the newspapers. “Look—that’s about the Crystal Empire stuff. Long after I moved out.”

Rarity quickly saw she was right. “So it is. I suppose that means that this is Princess Celestia’s doing.” Walking over to a dresser, she saw a several framed photographs of Celestia and Rainbow Dash. “I assume these are hers as well?”

Rainbow nodded numbly. “My photos are back home.” She looked them over, dredging up the details behind each one. “See that one?” She pointed to a photo of herself as a filly—wearing a hat, shirt and waving a pennant, all with pictures of the Wonderbolts or their logos plastered on. Princess Celestia had her wing draped across the excited filly’s back, smiling fondly at her … or possibly at the carrot dogs each of them held in their free hooves. “That’s from the first Wonderbolt show she took me to, about a week after I came to Canterlot. That was great.”

Her smile proved infectious as soon Rarity was too. “Not the most refined of portraits, but very sweet nonetheless.” She picked up another one. “And this?”

Rainbow looked. That photo was of her and Celestia dressed up as sunflowers. “That was from Nightmare Night. We always had some kind of theme going on. See?” She indicated several more pictures on another shelf. “We did this every year … then she’d steal about half my candy.”

“I have heard that the Princess had a bit of a sweet tooth,” Rarity commented. Her eyes fell on the next frame and gasped. “Oh my—you look wonderful!” She grabbed the picture and studied it intently. It was Rainbow Dash, decked out in a high-glass gown and standing by Princess Celestia. “The style, the design—this was from Hoity Toity’s spring line the year he signed an exclusive agreement with Full Tide of Neighpon! It looks splendid on you!”

Rainbow Dash studied it. “Oh yeah, that. That’s from the Grand Galloping Gala,” she frowned. “That was at the start of the Gala because I sure wasn’t smiling like that at the end of it.

Rarity looked aghast. “But darling, you can’t be serious. The Grand Galloping Gala is the high-watermark of all society events in Canterlot! The glamour, the sophistication—”

“Fine, whatever,” Rainbow abruptly turned away. She really didn’t want to get into all that right now. That was when she spotted her old bed—and something laying atop the pillows. Before she could stop herself, she let out a groan.

“What is it?” Rarity looked over and let out a squeal. “Oh my goodness, that is just darling!” Resting limply on her pillow was a stuffed Wonderbolt doll. “You must have loved this.”

Rainbow Dash sputtered. “I—I did not! It’s just some dumb old toy that doesn’t mean anything.”

Rarity gave her a coy grin. “Very well. I suppose I could just ask Princess Celestia the next time I see her...”

Rainbow paled. “You wouldn’t.” The smile Rarity flashed chilled her blood. “Uuggh alright, fine! Celestia got me that during our first Wonderbolt show.” She rubbed her face. “I took the dumb thing to every show I went to for years,” she found herself smiling nostalgically. “I swear it smelled like carrot dogs and lightning discharge—I use to sleep with it and in my dreams … I was a Wonderbolt.”

The soft ‘aww’ from Rarity reminded her that she had an audience. Rainbow blushed and tried to recover her cool tone. “When I got older I tried to put the thing away, but somehow it always ended up back in my room. Celestia always played innocent, but I knew she was behind it.” She rubbed her face. “One time we had an argument about something and I made a point of throwing it out. Next morning? I woke up with the thing in my bed with me. Maybe this time I should drop it off the edge of the mountain…”

“Now now, enough of that,” Rarity tittered. “No need to be embarrassed. Everypony slept with a stuffed toy at some point in their lives. It’s what little fillies and colts do.” She paused briefly and made a show of tapping her hoof against her muzzle. “Although if you did sleep with it as a grown mare, I certainly wouldn’t tease—”

Rainbow let out an outraged squawk. “I did not! That was a one time thing!”

“Do calm down, I’m merely ‘funning you’ as you so often say to me.” Rarity nodded to the doll. “It sounds to me like the Princess didn’t want you to throw away something that had meant so much to you, even if it wasn’t a big part of your life anymore. I think that’s very sweet of her.”

“I guess,” Dash relented as she set the doll back down on the bed, then turned to regard the pictures and newspaper articles. “I don’t even know why she did all this.”

Rarity raised an elegant eyebrow. “I thought that would be obvious—she’s proud of you and kept your room this way so she could have someplace to remind herself of you and the good times you two shared. I imagine she keeps this as a place she can go and think on all the wonderful memories you two shared.”

“Well, yeah, I mean I get all that but…” Rainbow trailed off.

Rarity approached her, gently laying a hoof on her withers. “What is it? And please don’t tell me it’s nothing. I know when it isn’t.”

“I guess it’s—I mean, these are all my accomplishments and stuff. And, don’t get me wrong, they’re awesome—”

“Do tell,” Rarity drolled.

“—but they’re not…” she grunted, annoyed at how hard it was to explain. She pointed out the articles about herself: the Sonic Rainboom, stopping Nightmare Moon, the Best Young Flyers Competition, defeating King Sombra and so on. “I was able to do all those things because I can fly, I can fight and all the stuff that I’m good at, plus I had you girls there with me. But I haven’t done anything she would’ve wanted me to: negotiate peace treaties or write up new laws and stuff. It feels like I let her down, somehow, because I’m not using the stuff Princess Celestia tried to teach me.”

Rarity patted her back. “Rainbow, you’re an exceptional pony—as you’re no doubt aware. But our own skills and likes lay in different directions. You would no sooner want to take care of animals any more than I’d want to work the weather for Ponyville. There’s no shame in that. Nopony can do everything.”

In response, Rainbow just pointed a hoof to a photo of Celestia. “She can.”

“Yes, well, she’s an alicorn, isn’t she?” Rarity tried to reason. “I don’t think you can hold yourself up to that standard—”

“Then why did she make me her student?” Rainbow demanded. “Why would she take all the time to teach me all that stuff if I wasn’t supposed to use it? It felt like we spent forever on all that high society stuff: culture, politics, history, law, diplomacy,” she rubbed her face. “So boring. And I had to go with her to all the high-class events with the high horses of Canterlot. If I’m not supposed to use that stuff, what was the point in teaching it to me?” She couldn’t quite bring herself to ask aloud the other question that underlay it all. Why teach me at all if I wasn’t going to be able to be as good as she is? What was even the point?

Rarity drew half a step backwards, caught off guard by Dash’s intensity. “I can’t answer all that—”

“Me neither,” Rainbow sat down heavily on her bed. “I don’t know the answer either.”

“Perhaps that something you should speak to her about,” Rarity looked about as if hoping Princess Celestia would suddenly appear. When she didn’t, Rarity tried again. “Rainbow Dash—”

Rainbow waved her off. “Look, I didn’t mean to unload all that on you. Anyway, we’re here to help Luna. Let’s focus on that for a bit, okay?”

Realizing that she’d hit a brick wall, Rarity relented. “Very well. Do you know where she’d be?”

“Celestia said she liked to stay in her tower. Guess that’s where we’re headed. Come on.” Rainbow flew out, casting one last hesitant look behind her.


Luna’s room was at the top of her own tower. Rainbow Dash and Rarity journeyed up the spiraling staircase until they stood in front of the door.

“I do wish I had thought to put on something more formal.” Rarity sighed as she studied the door.

“It’s fine,” Rainbow rolled her eyes. “I don’t think you had anything that would’ve fit anyway.” She tilted her head to the door, decorated with a motif of outstretched bats forming an archway around the heavy wooden door.

Rarity looked it over judiciously. “Point. I don’t suppose we could persuade her to hire an interior decorator…”

Rather than get into that, Rainbow knocked on the door. With a slow creaking moan, the door swung open, revealing the Princess of the Night. “Rainbow Dash. Rarity. Hail and well met!” She extended a hoof stiffly, almost thrusting it into their chests.

Her archaic greeting was readily matched by Rainbow Dash’s informality. “Hey Luna. S’up?” She hoofbumped her.

Rarity’s eye began twitching, unsure of where to even begin. “Yes! Well, it’s certainly nice to see you again, Princess Luna.”

Luna dipped her head. “Please, enter!” She stood aside, beckoning them forward. Rarity elegantly glided into the Princess’ personal chamber—and came short when she saw what lay inside. Stone gargoyles leered down from high ledges and suits of spiked, brooding armor lined the walls. Low flickering candles provided the only source of light—the curtains were closed despite it being the middle of the day, and the ceiling was painted with an accurate reproduction of the night sky. Her expectations and reality had not simply clashed, but had gotten into a seven carriage pile-up that was impeding traffic for miles in all directions. It wasn’t until Rainbow pushed her forward that she realized that she had all but completely shut down.

“It’s certainly … unique.” Rarity smiled weakly.

“Looks like a haunted house on Nightmare Night.” Rainbow Dash murmured back.

Luna smiled, clearly pleased. “Now then—to the task at hoof: preparations for the Equestria Royal Pony Summit!” She looked to her companions. “Celestia tells me that the two of you are more … experienced at such things.”

Rainbow Dash grunted roughly. Rarity daintily cleared her throat. “Yes, well, for one thing it’s not called the ‘Pony’ summit anymore. Equestria is home to any number of species, a number of the delegates coming are not ponies.”

“True.” Luna frowned. “I am somewhat out of step with the modern world.”

“That’s why we’re here to help!” Rarity offered an encouraging smile. “We’ll help you acclimate to your new surroundings and ensure that you make a simply thrilling impact on the delegates. If there is one thing I know, its fashion and working a crowd.”

Princess Luna tilted her head in confusion. “Are those not two things, Miss Rarity?”

Rarity offered a little sigh. “So much to teach, so little time...”

Rainbow shuddered. No good can come of this. She quickly looked around Luna’s room to try to find some other topic for discussion. “Gotta say, I really like the room.”

She had apparently said the right thing, for Luna smiled proudly. “My thanks. I chose the décor myself. Of course, my sister decorated my quarters before my return, but I felt it did not suit me. For some reason, it lacked even a single place for my bats to roost.” She frowned. “It was too … sunny.”

The thought of Celestia fretting over trying to place bats like chandeliers made Rainbow smile. She would’ve paid to see that. “This place looks way cooler than most of the parties I've been to around here.”

“Though it could, perhaps, be slightly more inviting,” Rarity commented, forcing herself to maintain her polite smile as one of the suits of armor let out a groan.

“‘Inviting?’” Luna queried, one eyebrow raised skeptically. “How so?”

Rarity hesitated, clearly uncomfortable with daring to critique the sensibilities of a Princess—but fashion and impressing high society required it. “Well, some ponies might be a bit ... intimidated.”

“Good,” Rainbow snorted. “It’s better to be intimidating than having them walk all over you.”

“It does not strike me as intimidating,” Luna replied. “Merely ... cozy. It has personality.”

“And it’s an awesome one.” Rainbow Dash nodded to her. “So, how're you feeling Luna?”

Princess Luna,” Rarity hissed softly to her. Rainbow flicked her ear in annoyance.

Missing the byplay, Luna puffed out her chest. “I am feeling most confident, of course.”

“You're going to need that.” Rainbow nodded. “Especially if you’re going to be dealing with the upper crust; they can smell weakness.”

“And a mare who projects confidence is always far more beautiful!” Rarity chimed in positively.

Luna agreed, but from her own viewpoint. “Aye, so I am aware. I would not show weakness to those who might plot against the thrones.”

Both Rainbow Dash and Rarity were briefly united in a shared, stunned silence. “I ... doubt anyone there would be doing that.” Rarity said slowly.

“Neigh, not when I will be keeping a firm eye 'pon all of them, and measuring their worth.” Luna nodded.

“Which is not much.” Rainbow quipped.

Rarity tsked gently. “Now now, there are many ponies of wealth and distinction there.”

“Exactly who I was talking about.” Rainbow drawled.

Princess Luna looked to her. “My sister has told me you know at least some of the ponies—and others that will be coming to the Summit? This is true?”

Sighing slightly, Rainbow nodded. “Yeah, I know some of the ponies who’ll come. Fancy Pants is pretty cool. He's usually the main guy for the Canterlot delegation.”

Luna nodded attentively. “And who else can be counted on as reliable? Who are the ponies of talent and distinction?”

“You're looking at them.” Rainbow smirked.

Luna just smiled patiently. “Aye, that I know, Rainbow. Your accomplishments are well noted, and I think you have not yet been sufficiently rewarded for your heroism.” Rainbow Dash grinned, her wings ruffling with pleasure, while Rarity gave a soft groan, practically able to see Rainbow’s head growing larger. “Is there a boon either of you would ask of me before we deal with the specifics of the Summit?”

“Oh, I couldn't possibly imagine imposing upon a princess,” Rarity demurred. “Though I will keep your most generous offer in mind for the future.”

Rainbow Dash felt an uncomfortable flicker of suspicion in her gut, but quickly forced it down. “Y-yeah, thanks—I’ll just, uh, hold onto that for later. Thanks again.”

“So much for subtlety,” Rarity murmured under her breath.

Princess Luna dipped her head. “Very well then. Though do not think I do not recognize your accomplishments. But back to the Summit--is there anyone else that I can look to for aid?”

Before Rainbow could say anything, Rarity jumped in. “Duke Blueblood is supposed to be attending as well.” A dreamy sigh escaped her, causing her to miss Rainbow Dash’s shudder of disgust. “He is one of the most handsome and eligible bachelors in Canterlot...”

“He's also one of the biggest jerks in all of Equestria!” Rainbow retorted. Rarity’s glower was met with one of Rainbow’s own.

Luna frowned slightly, regaining their attention with a pointed clearing of her throat. “I am more concerned with his ability to govern than his other qualities.”

Rarity sheepishly turned back to her. “Yes, well, he is quite well connected and influential as well.”

“He's also self-absorbed, has his head up his flank and completely full of himself.” Rainbow warned.

Growing irked at Rainbow’s continued cynicism, Rarity couldn’t resist muttering, “Pot, meet kettle.” Rainbow’s wings twitched irritably.

Luna spread her wings, drawing their attention back to her. “If that’s all…?” Her tone indicated that it well better be. Rainbow Dash and Rarity traded wary glances, then nodded to the Princess. Suitably placated by having gotten things back on track, Luna continued. “I will make sure to take the opportunity to gain his measure for myself. In the meantime, what other duties are expected of me as hostess?”

“You have to give the opening speech and lead off the closing dance.” The look on Rainbow’s face spoke volumes about how little she liked the thought of either. “You say some nice-sounding stuff about Equestria and how great it is and at the end you have to dance with the delegates.”

The last certainly fired Rarity’s imagination. “Oh, I can help you learn all the modern dances!” She gasped as another, even better idea occurred to her. “Oooor, we could make the dance retro-themed, in honor of you!”

Luna tapped her hoof against her muzzle contemplatively. “I would like to make the speech more impressive for when I open the night's events. And I think a dance that suits my tastes would be better.”

“That can be easily taken care of.” Rarity assured her.

Warming to the idea, Luna continued. “We will of course need to decorate the rooms being used for the Summit; in addition to providing dishes for my guests and serving their other needs.”

“Yeah, they probably have that stuff in the castle somewhere,” Rainbow agreed. “Of course a lot it is, uh ... you know.”

Apparently, she didn’t. “What do you mean, Rainbow Dash?”

Rainbow couldn’t quite meet her eyes and rubbed her neck. “Well, they have plates and stuff they've used at past Summits. Only it's decorated with, uh, sun stuff on it.”

An awkward pause settled over them until Luna broke it. “I see.” Her tone was carefully reserved. “Dear Rarity, I desire a décor that is more fitting for the princess hosting this Summit. I trust the arrangements can all be made in time for the event?”

“But of course.” Rarity bowed elegantly.

“In the meantime, shall we concentrate on the actual events of the Summit? Rainbow Dash, what more can you tell me about the delegates? These are the leaders of Equestria, correct?”

“Kinda,” Rainbow waggled her hoof meaningfully—which was totally lost on Luna, so she elaborated. “It depends. I guess they used to get all the nobles to come to these things. But Equestria grew bigger and more towns and stuff got started and ponies started electing their own mayors and stuff,” she tried to remember the rest. Princess Celestia had given her a long history the one time she had asked Rainbow Dash to get involved in the Summit. She’d forgotten most of it since then, but remembered a few things. “So now all the cities and towns send delegates—sometimes elected, sometimes picked by the mayor or whoever. Usually smaller towns will just send some trustworthy citizen or something, but some big cities pick some of their wealthier or more powerful hotshots to schmooze and impress the small town delegates and harangue the Princess for more funds or whatever.”

She exhaled, feeling weary just recalling it. “While they're at the Summit, they're going to push how great their city is: they’ll try to get you to come visit, get your picture taken with the local bigwigs, give some endorsements, blah blah blah.” She waved her hoof dismissively.

“But if you visit one place instead of another—or even just visit one place ahead of another—then the other delegates will complain and make it out like you care more about this place than another. So it’s probably best to not agree to anything.”

“Or,” Rarity offered, “your favors could be carefully measured out for maximum advantage.” She smiled, not seeing the sour face Rainbow was sporting. “Something I image you are already quite familiar with, princess.”

“Aye, this I am all too familiar with. Rejecting everypony would make it seem I am inaccessible and scorning all my subjects. Far better to agree to visit the ones I consider most important than none at all. There will be discontent, but I have learned that I will never be able to make all of my subjects happy.”

Rainbow cut in. “Except that if you only talk to the ‘important’ ponies, then that’s just favors the ones who are already rich and powerful and make you look like a snob to the rest of Equestria.”

Now it was Rarity’s turn to frown at her friend. “I’m sure Luna can limit the discontent with the right choice of words. Perhaps we could even help her with that. What do you say?”

She didn’t answer her directly. “Everypony at the Summit is going to want something. If they don’t get it they'll try to bully, bribe or beg you to do it. You have to be tough with them. And if you do give them what they want, they’ll only end up asking for more and more. Either way, if you give a feather, they'll take a wing.”

Luna narrowed her eyes. “I will not be bullied. If they try to do so, I will show them the error of their ways.”

Rarity let out a nervous chuckle. “That’s well and good, but—”

“They're going to push, and hard.” Rainbow stressed. “And when they don't get what they want they start whisper campaigns, spreading rumors....”

Luna’s displeasure was practically palpable. “They would spread slander about their princess? Do they have no decency? They would seek to undermine me already, when they do not even know me?”

“Princess Luna, I think Rainbow is exaggerating...” Rarity again tried to take hold of the discussion, but Rainbow Dash wasn’t having it.

“The hay I am!” Rainbow stomped her hoof. “They don't care about Equestria, other ponies, or anyone but themselves. They act all sweet and nice but it's only because they want something. And if they don't get it, they get nasty. Maybe not to your face, but that's because they’re cowards.”

“Well, if this is the case, then mayhap 'tis time they were shown some proper manners.” Luna pouted slightly. “I told sister that bringing back dueling would do much to improve things, but she gainsayed me.”

Rarity tried again. “Princess, I must disagree with Rainbow in the strongest possible terms...”

“Remember who here has actually been to one of these things?” Rainbow brought up. “Plus plenty of other big events in Canterlot?”

Luna stepped between them. “I will seek out the truth of the matter and act accordingly. Mayhaps 'tis far past time for a ... reordering of things.”

“All I ask is that you not leap to any conclusions.” Rarity pleaded.

“Naturally.” Luna nodded. “You have both given me much to think on. Please, settle in. We will talk more later.”

Rarity bowed elegantly. “Oh, of course! Thank you, Princess.”

“Thanks, Luna.” Rainbow tossed her a lazy salute with her wing. Rarity hissed softly at the informality as they made their way out. No sooner had the door closed than Rarity spoke up. “Really Rainbow Dash, surely you know the importance of a little decorum.”

“Celestia never let it bother her.” Rainbow snorted. “It doesn’t seem like Luna cares much either.”

Rarity sighed. “Rainbow, that isn’t the point! If you address her so informally when she’s in public, then other delegates won’t respect her.”

“It’s all so stupid.” Rainbow whickered in annoyance. “‘Power flows from the accoutrements of power.’” She quoted Celestia. “‘One must maintain the appearance of power to appear powerful.’ It’s ridiculous!”

“It’s what’s expected of them.”

“But that isolates them from regular ponies and just feeds into elitism among the ponies who do have the ‘accoutrements of power.’” Rainbow snorted. “Instead of feeding into the egos of these creeps and changing herself for their benefit, Luna should be challenging them to change! Not just because they won’t respect her if she’s always trying to please them, but it’ll force them to not be so stuck-up, to not look down on a pony who doesn’t look or act the way they do.”

Rarity sighed, exasperated. “That sounds all very well and good Rainbow Dash, but the fact is that there are expectations and if you don’t meet them, then you won’t be given a serious hearing. That is Luna’s task at the moment: she’s been gone for a thousand years and remembered only as a bogey-mare at best, or a monster and potential tyrant at worst. If she acts in a way that reinforces that image—if she throws her weight around to try and force the elites to change now, then they’ll spread that image across all of Equestria. Then everypony—common and elite—will view her that way.” She stopped, looking Rainbow Dash squarely. “Do you think that will make Luna happy?”

Rainbow grimaced. “No.”

“Just so.” Rarity nodded. “Instead of coming into her own, everypony will wish Celestia was there instead of her--the very thing that caused her jealousy and anger a millennium ago.”

“Ugh, fine.” Rainbow shook her head. “So what now?”

That made Rarity pause as she stopped to consider it. “Well, it is getting a bit late in the day … perhaps we should get something to eat and then retire for the evening. Tomorrow we can start coaching Princess Luna for the Summit.”

“Sounds good.” Rainbow led Rarity out of the tower. “I know a good burger joint not too far from here.”

“Rain-booow…” Rarity let out a whine. “You can get a hayburger anytime back in Ponyville! This is Canterlot, home to some of the best restaurants in all of Equestria. Couldn’t we do something a bit more refined?”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Come on, an entire Summit with the grand high poobahs of Equestria isn’t refined enough for you?”

She clasped her hooves together. “Pleeease, for moi?” Rarity fluttered her eyelashes beseechingly.

“Ung! Fine, but I’m not dressing up.” Rainbow grumbled. “There’s this place uptown Celestia took me to once or twice. The Golden Chalice. Is that refined enough for you?” She smirked when she saw Rarity’s jaw hang open in surprise.

“T-the Golden Chalice?” Rarity gasped. “That’s only the most exclusive restaurant in all of Equestria! The list for reservations is six months long! We can’t simply stroll in!”

That brought Rainbow Dash up short. “Really? They let me and Celestia in all the--oh, right.” She shook her head, annoyed with herself. “Sorry.”

“It’s … alright.” Rarity offered Rainbow a supportive smile. “There’s always next time.”

Rainbow’s ear flicked. “You know what? Feather it. We’re going to the Golden Chalice.”

“Rainbow Dash, there’s no need--”

“I told you I’d take you someplace refined, and I meant it!” Rainbow waved her off. “They should recognize me. I mean, I am pretty memorable.” She tossed her mane with a smirk. “I’ll make it work. Now come on, or else the only thing you’ll be eating will be my dust.” With a flap of her wings she was off.

Not being given any choice in the matter, Rarity followed her as best she could, quickly grabbing one of her emergency hats from her saddle bag. Perfect for any social engagement. She couldn’t bring herself to simply gallop through Canterlot, but she did settle for a brisk trot. All along the path through the city, Rarity felt her eyes drawn to the white, gleaming towers and glittering high-end stores. She stopped short as she stared at one vacant shop.

Rarity hesitantly, almost reverently, put her hoof up against the empty display window. It was empty, but inside she could see possibilities. My very own boutique...

“Hey Rarity!” She gave a sudden start as Rainbow Dash poked her side. “Come on, we’re almost there!” Rainbow started tugging on her leg. Rarity allowed herself to be led away--while casting one last look back at her vision of a shop of her own.

The Golden Chalice was a posh, luxurious restaurant. Its architecture reflected an older style that reminded Rainbow Dash of Cloudsdale, but with hard stone instead of soft cloud, which she felt made the whole thing little more than a cheap imitation. But to Rarity, it was grandeur at its finest. The entire restaurant clung to the side of the mountain, offering its patrons a panoramic view of Equestria.

Rainbow Dash and Rarity approached the front door, which was blocked by a velvet rope and a waiter wearing a fancier outfit than most generals. His elegantly groomed eyebrow raised itself as the two mares approached. The two stood out, not least for their general lack of attire, Rarity’s hat notwithstanding. “Can I help you?” he asked in a tone that implied that he not only couldn’t help, but wouldn’t.

Rarity daintily cleared her throat, preparing to lay on the charm but Rainbow stood in front of her. “Yeah. Two seats, please. With a view.”

The maître d frowned before tilting his head back with a sniff. “Have you a reservation?”

Rainbow Dash flew upwards, looking inside. “Why do you even need one? The place is half-empty and there’s no line!”

“A reservation is required for all patrons.” The snooty pony sniffed again. “Might I suggest a place more … appropriate for you, like the Hay Burger downtown?”

Feeling embarrassed and conscientious of the attention from the ponies inside watching them, Rarity lowered her hat to better hide her face. That only served to fire Rainbow’s anger. Nopony did that to her friend! “Alright, I didn’t want to do this--but you want my reservation? Check the wall.” She pointed a hoof inside.

With an indulgent smirk, the maître d looked towards a wall dominated by photographs of numerous well-known patrons who had eaten at the Golden Chalice. He turned to look and spotted the photograph of Princess Celestia … sitting besides a mare with an unmistakeable rainbow mane. The color drained from his face.

Rainbow Dash crossed her hooves and began tapping a hoof on the ground impatiently. As much as she enjoyed knocking this stuffed shirt down a peg, she was still a bit irked that she had to name drop the Princess in order to get in. “So are you going to let us in and take our order, or should we be looking for that hayburger joint?”

The two were quickly whisked inside, seated at a table right up against the window. Rarity gaped as she looked down to see the sharp drop off the mountain, the rest of Equestria laid out below them. “Pretty cool, huh?” Rainbow grinned as she checked the menu.

“Rainbow Dash, I--I don’t know what to say.” Rarity put her hoof to her chest. “It’s simply breathtaking!”

“I’ll say,” Dash grunted. “Have you even seen these prices? It’s a good thing I’m putting this on the Princess’ tab.”

Rarity gasped. “Rainbow Dash! Surely you can’t just expect Princess Celestia to hoof the bill. Not on my account!”

“It’s fine.” Rainbow shrugged. “Celestia always tried to get me to eat here more often. Personally, I thought the food here was only okay. The cloud cake was pretty good though … which is probably why she always tried to steal any slices I took back to the castle with me.”

Hesitantly, Rarity looked at the menu. “I really shouldn’t, I mean … the Princess of Equestria paying for my meal and oooh my goodness is that imported crêpe?”

“Help yourself.” There was a smirk on Rainbow’s face. “Luna did say she owed us a favor. I bet Celestia does too.”

“Well … oh alright!” She turned to a waiter, who had been standing patiently to take their orders. After he took their orders, she looked to Rainbow. “This is all a little exciting.”

Rainbow shrugged. “If you say so.” To her this was just a reminder of a life she had been bored with a long time ago. The last time she had even come to this restaurant it was only because a friend had asked. She frowned, suddenly feeling a sense of unease. It wasn’t until she she remembered just who that friend was did she realize why. It was Trixie.