• Published 1st Jan 2016
  • 2,012 Views, 51 Comments

Diamond and the Rough - Trinary



Dashverse: Rarity and Rainbow Dash are friends, but they don't have much in common. This becomes a problem when Princess Luna needs their help with the Equestria Summit and the two friends have vastly differing ideas on how to proceed.

  • ...
3
 51
 2,012

Chapter 5

Of all the loutish, arrogant, pig-headed … oooh, that mare! Rarity fumed. She had returned to the pre-summit celebration, but was in such a state that she knew she’d be off her game. So instead, she sought to calm her nerves with a nice glass of punch.

She looked out over the assembled delegates and guests of honor. The influence and connections one could make by putting the right word in the right ear could advance—or potentially doom—a career faster than decades of working spent toiling in obscurity.

Rarity had no intention of living in obscurity.

She felt as much as saw a shadow fall over her, cast by a much larger pony, and turned to find Princess Luna looking down at her. She had somehow managed to shake the crowd of hangers-on that would normally be following her every step—Rarity suspected her magic had allowed her to slip away. “Oh, your highness, forgive me. Are you enjoying your debut?”

Luna dipped her head. “Well enough. You, however, seem disconcerted. Nearly as much as I was when I learned the so-called Countess Colratura was not an actual noble.” A faint frown creased her brow. “If anypony can assume a noble title, then what is even the point in having them at all…?”

Rarity felt a brief flurry of fear. The very idea that Luna might issue a decree forcing one of the most famous performers in Equestria to change her stage name would not do at all. Recognizing that would do little to assist Luna winning over the populace, Rarity thought it best to steer the conversation elsewhere. “Yes, well, some conventions do change over the course of time. You’re handling it all wonderfully, though.”

Luna’s smile encouraged Rarity immensely. “I certainly hope to grow accustomed to it.”

“I have every confidence that you will,” she assured Luna. “But please, feel free to mingle further. You don’t have to take time away from what is meant to be your night on account of me.”

“I am a Princess, am I not?” Luna asked wryly. “I am therefore free to do as I please, and right now, it pleases me to take a break.” She double-checked her privacy spell, then returned her gaze to Rarity. “However, that does not answer my question: why are you wearing a perturbed look ‘pon your brow?” She looked around, frowning slightly. “And where is Rainbow Dash?”

Rarity felt her smile turn brittle. “She ... stepped out for a bit.” From her own limited experiences with Princess Celestia, Rarity concluded that Celestia would either have recognized her reticence and not pried further or else would have taken her time drawing Rarity out and let her reveal the matter in her own time.

But Luna, as Rarity was being achingly reminded, was not her sister. “I would think that you had more regard for me than to offer such a weak attempt at dissembling. You are clearly troubled, and I would know why. Now.”

Unable to help herself, Rarity flinched and took a half-step away. “Um, I think—that is to say, it's nothing serious, Your Highness. Merely a disagreement between friends.”

Seeing her sudden start, Luna leaned back to give her some space. “My apologies, I did not mean to overawe you. Regardless, a ‘mere’ disagreement between ponies can have lasting consequences.”

“Can, yes, but only if one allows it to,” Rarity cleared her throat awkwardly, not wanting her to dwell on Nightmare Moon. That would somewhat defeat the intent of this whole gathering. “You look positively radiant this evening—have you done something new with your mane?”

“Yes,” Luna raised an incredulous eyebrow. “You helped me arrange it.”

Rarity blinked. “Oh, yes, of course. I apologize, it has been such a busy day.” Without looking away she used her magic to pour them both some more punch. “Might I offer you a drink, Princess?”

Luna accepted the offered drink, but returned to the topic at hoof after a polite sip. “I suspect you are trying to distract me from the issue at hoof with social niceties.”

Rarity sighed. “Very well, since you asked: Rainbow and I had a disagreement of sorts over networking. There are a few large names at this event, and since I was here I thought I would introduce myself.”

“I see. I take it she took issue with you doing so at an event dedicated to my reintroduction to society after a thousand year exile?” Luna kept her tone light and neutral, betraying nothing.

Rarity nodded, hoping that she hadn’t unintentionally offended the Princess. “I believe so. I meant no disrespect to you of course, Your Highness—you were otherwise occupied at the time.”

To her considerable relief, Luna nodded. “I am aware and take no offense. I know how such things are done.” She tilted her head towards the crowd. “I take it Rainbow Dash took exception to this?”

Rarity pursed her lips. “I'll be polite and merely say yes.”

“Hm.” Luna regarded her before idly commenting, “Your hoof is shaking.” It was then that Rarity noticed the wobble in her grip. She stilled her hoof, however belatedly. “I think your argument upset you more than you are saying.”

“I suppose so.” Rarity sighed gently and closed her eyes. “Rainbow Dash seemed to think I was taking advantage of her position—that somepony such as myself would exploit her for my own ends.” She huffed. “Honestly, I'm a bit insulted by the idea.”

“I see,” Luna offered sympathetically. “That is a sharp wound to bear.”

“It's an annoyance, but really nothing you should concern yourself with.” Rarity shook her head. “But thank you.”

Luna guided her away from the table, a quick spell ensuring their continued privacy. “Yet, I can empathize with Rainbow's fears. It is an unsettling thing to not be sure of another pony's intentions—to have them feign friendship when they merely seek favor or are levering influence ... especially for a pony as direct as her.”

“I ... suppose that is true,” Rarity conceded. “I would hope, however, that she would know by this point that's not the type of pony I am.”

“But she did have a pony she thought of as a friend, one she did not think was that type of pony either. And she was wrong, was she not?”

Rarity exhaled, her tone becoming slightly bitter. “Yes, Trixie the ‘Great and Powerful’.”

Thankfully, Luna didn’t seem interested in Trixie. “May I ask what you think of Rainbow Dash?”

Unable to help herself, Rarity bristled slightly. “Well right now I'm quite upset with her. One can understand her concern, but one would also think she wouldn't blow things quite out of proportion.”

“And more in general?” Luna prodded.

Rarity needed little prompting to vent her spleen. “She's brash, impulsive, unrefined in spite of valiant efforts—no offence intended to your sister, of course—and ... still one of the most dependable friends a pony could ask for.” Rarity sighed and took a sip of her punch to steady herself. “It's something of a balancing act, at times.”

“I have had similar thoughts. I wondered why my sister would take on a pony so far removed from her ... usual image.” Luna’s muzzle crinkled in thought.

“Privately, I have wondered much the same,” Rarity agreed. “Rainbow is clearly gifted in her field, what with being the only recorded pony to produce a Sonic Rainboom, but ... well, one wonders how that would fit the role of a royal student.”

“My sister is fond of long-term stratagems, wheels within wheels.” Luna frowned. “I feel she enjoys being mysterious and difficult to fathom. Even to me. It is often infuriating.”

“That sounds like it would get tiresome quickly, especially for an immortal,” Rarity offered sympathetically.

Luna let out a most unregal grunt. “None can get under your skin quite like family—or friends.”

Rarity saluted her with her cup. “I'll drink to that, Your Highness.”

As one, the two drank deeply. Once they had finished, Luna spoke again. “May I ask what your plans for yourself are?”

“But of course!” Rarity beamed, grateful for the change in topic. “I would like to expand my business into other cities—Canterlot primarily, although I shan't turn the opportunity down if an opportunity presents itself elsewhere.” She looked hopefully to the Princess, who appeared almost lost in thought. It was all Rarity could do to prevent herself from moving to downright pleading.

Instead Luna asked, “Say that you do this, you accomplish all that you set out to do—how will you manage yourself?”

Rarity hesitated at this sudden turn. “I’m not sure I follow, Your Highness.”

“It is no small thing, fulfilling your dreams,” Luna explained. “All will want to claim a piece of your success for themselves. You will have ponies vying for your friendship, often with a favor or advantage in mind. You will also face hostility and jealousy from those who resent how brightly you shine. Sometimes, they are one and the same.” Her expression darkened. “It is easy enough to tell friend from foe when you have nothing anypony wants. But it grows much more difficult when you have something everypony desires.”

“Yes, I suppose that’s so.” Rarity idly swirled her drink. “I’m quite prepared for such a situation, Your Highness.”

The Princess gave her a look. “And for how long? Imagine being surrounded by false friends and petulant rivals for years on end, not knowing when kindness is offered genuinely or if fell motives are at work.” Her gaze flickered out over the crowd. Her curiosity perked, Rarity following her gaze. Little tangles of groups had formed here and there, marked by polite laughter and newcomers looking to work their way into the conversation. In the middle of most of them were the more prominent socialites and celebrities, the ponies everypony wanted to get close to: Colratura, Sapphire Shores, Hoity Toity, Trender Hoof, and so many others. All around them were fans and admirers, ponies just starting out who were starved for a little encouragement and recognition. She’d seen all that before, but now she also saw the darker undertones that lurked beneath the glitz and glamor.

Luna went on, “Imagine still that you are not a grown mare aware of the consequences of your success, but were only a little filly who had done the extraordinary and then had to learn that success came with a hidden price.”

“You’re referring to Rainbow Dash,” Rarity stated.

Luna nodded. “Without making excuses or offering apologies for her, I will say that I sympathize with her position. The rigors of dealing with Canterlot society can be taxing even for those who were born into it, or those who voluntarily play the game. She was neither.”

Rarity was suddenly gripped by the image of a young Rainbow Dash approaching one of the groups she’d spotted earlier, asking the ponies if they wanted to ‘hang out’ or watch her do a new trick only to be rebuffed.

Luna sighed. “When I was Nightmare Moon, I tried to sway Rainbow Dash from her course. I told her that I knew what it was like to be denied respect from an indifferent, judgmental society. Thankfully, she did not accept my offer. But I know I struck a chord with her. This,” she gestured at the proceedings with a wing, “is not what makes her happy. She prefers knowing where one stands and trusting them completely, or opposing them openly. That is neither praise nor criticism; it is simply who she is.”

“She’s loyal.” Rarity exhaled, shaking her head. “She’ll keep her faith to friends and foes, come what may.”

“Quite.”

Rarity looked back to Princess Luna. “Are you telling me I should apologize to her?”

Luna shook her head. “I do not think it’s appropriate for me to offer advice on giving or accepting apologies, as I’m more familiar with the latter. Even if I were, I’d still leave the decision in your hooves. I’m not here to tell you that you were right or wrong. You have just cause to be upset with Rainbow Dash. I’m merely pointing out why she has come to think the way she does.”

“I thank you for your insight, Princess Luna.” Rarity dipped her head. “I suppose I need to think things over a while longer.”

“That is wise. If you’ll excuse me, I suppose I’ve absented myself for long enough.” Luna stepped back to party, where she almost immediately was surrounded by a half dozen ponies eagerly wishing to have a word—or merely be seen—with royalty.

Rarity sighed.

“Ah, there’s an expression I know all too well,” a genteel voice chuckled from behind her.

Startled, Rarity whirled around and found herself face to face with a familiar looking monocle and delicate blue mustache. “Oh my—Fancy Pants, I’m sorry I was preoccupied.”

“My apologies. I didn’t mean to give you a fright.” Fancy removed his monocle and cleaned it with his magic. “I expect Princess Luna gave you much to think on.”

Rarity nodded. “Yes, I suppose she did at that. If I may ask—?”

“Was I eavesdropping?” Fancy finished with a chortle. “I merely noticed the privacy spell, and could only assume. Forgive my prompt intuition if it is far too forward.”

“Certainly.” Rarity idly ran her hoof along the rim of her glass. “Might I ask a question?”

“Of course, my dear.”

Barely repressing a delighted trill, Rarity forced herself to stay on task. “It’s been suggested that entering into Canterlot high society is a somewhat arduous undertaking.”

“Indeed it is.” Fancy nodded faintly. “It’s full of gossipers, hangers-on, and blatant social-climbers.” Rarity was taken aback by his bluntness. Before she could think of an appropriate response, he continued. “But that’s not all it is; there are plenty of intelligent, discerning ponies who seek to use their wealth and influence to give back to the society that made them what they are. Part of that involves being judicious about the character of the ponies who seek their favor.” He sighed. “Still, I’ll admit, some ponies only give back because of the good publicity. There are ponies who are concerned less with doing good than with being seen as doing good. I don’t countenance such things myself, but if you’re a short-staffed hospital, a library or museum on the verge of closing, an orphanage in need of a new heater—does it really matter if your benefactor is doing so out of the goodness of his own heart, or for his ego’s sake?”

“That seems a question better left to the philosophers,” Rarity demurred. “I can understand the frustration such attitudes stir up, though.”

“As do I. But that’s how things are done.” He shook his head. “Perhaps there’s a better way, but I’m afraid coming up with one is beyond this old stallion. Who knows? Maybe one day we’ll end up living in the Equalist society that one mare proposed.” His skeptical snort spoke volumes. “But I suspect you’ve listened to me prattle on long enough. I’ll let you get back to the party. If you’ll excuse me, I think I’m needed elsewhere. Good night, Miss Rarity.”


Rainbow Dash flew through the night sky of Canterlot. Even at night, the city shone like a beacon. Conflicted as she felt about returning here, she had to admit that she missed the view. All of Equestria seemed to stretch out beneath Canterlot’s mountain perch. Flying above it all made her think she could simply reach out and grab it all. Maybe that’s the whole problem with Canterlot, Rainbow thought. It’s so separate from everything else, above everything else—it makes everything up here look great and important while the rest is small and insignificant … Also, you can’t find a decent hayburger joint anywhere.

She banked, circling around the city. It didn’t feel right to up and leave like that, but what else was she supposed to do? Have a huge fight with Rarity in front of half the city? That wouldn’t help Luna, or them. She rubbed her face. Rarity doesn’t get how nasty ‘high society’ can get. She thinks she can just breeze in, tell the right quip and do a small favor or two and then boom! She’s got her own shop in Canterlot and all her dreams come true. "Yeah," Rainbow mused exasperatedly, "things don't happen that way."

Her wings flapped faster, almost of their own accord. Her speed picked up, as if trying to keep pace with her thoughts and her growing ire. Once they sink their grip into you they’ll never willingly let you go. If they gave Rarity the contract or the shop she’s always wanted, they’ll ask for something in return the next day, then the day after that and the day after that. If she doesn’t play ball, they’ll whisper about her to potential clients and ruin her.

Rainbow growled. Rarity had the gall to call her a bad friend for not wishing that on her? She flew over the hall where the pre-summit party was being held. As she was about to turn away, she noticed a blinking light on the roof. It looked like the flashing of a unicorn’s horn, but couldn’t be sure who it was. Not sure of what else to do, she flew down to check it out. It wasn’t until she was practically on top of it before she recognized the caster. “Fancy Pants?”

The stately unicorn nodded. “So it is! Good of you to join me, Miss Dash. Might I have a word?”

“You, I—what?” Rainbow shook her head. Of all the questions rattling around her head, one finally found its way to her mouth. “What’re you doing on the roof?”

Fancy Pants removed his monocle and began to clean it with his magic. “I wanted to get some fresh air.”

“On the roof,” Rainbow repeated skeptically.

“Is there any place more airy?” he asked innocently. Rainbow frowned. She hated it when ponies got smart with her by saying something obvious and unhelpful. “But if we’re asking questions, I suppose it’d be my turn to ask you what you’re doing here.”

She wanted to slap her forehead in exasperation. “You signaled for me to come here.”

“And here you still are,” Fancy rejoined. “I’m afraid you might be taking my question a touch too literally, however.”

Rainbow rubbed her face, not being in the mood for twenty questions. “Princess Celestia asked me to help Luna get accepted into society. If you’re looking to make a point, could you just jump right to it?”

Fancy hmmed as he adjusted his monocle. “I suppose I’m wondering why she asked you to do something you’ve never been able to achieve for yourself.”

His bluntness caught her off guard. She could hardly have been more surprised if he took off his face to reveal himself as a cunningly disguised moose. “Um, say what?”

“Well, forgive an old stallion his frankness, but it seems to me that you’ve always struggled with fitting in.” Fancy Pants tilted his head slightly. “Or would you say I’m wrong?”

Rainbow snorted, hating to be confronted with something she’d failed at. She was sorely tempted to tell him off, but knew that’d only further prove his point. She exhaled deeply, trying to take the edge off her tone. “No.”

“Then that makes you a curious choice to aid Princess Luna, doesn’t it?” Fancy raised an elegant eyebrow.

Like I haven’t already thought about that, Rainbow Dash thought sourly, though she forced herself to give him the benefit of the doubt. Fancy Pants was pretty much the only cool Canterlot society pony she knew. “I—I guess Celestia thought I could help warn Luna away from anything dangerous—ponies using her to their own advantage and stuff.” She had plenty of experience with that.

During her younger years in Canterlot, ponies had tried to ply her with compliments and expensive gifts in order to get closer to Celestia. She’d been swept off her hooves by all the fancy stuff ponies were giving her—after all, she had just performed the legendary Sonic Rainboom and been hoof-picked by Princess Celestia to become her student! Wasn’t this simply a reward for her awesomeness? But then came the requests: hint that she should wear this dress to the next Grand Galloping Gala, suggestions about which restaurant the princess should or shouldn’t try, reminders for Celestia about how helpful Sir So-And-So was … eventually, Rainbow realized they didn’t appreciate her at all. It was all because she was Celestia’s student.

After Rainbow told them to go buck themselves, that was the end of the fancy gifts and the kind words. In their place started the whisper campaigns, the murmured disapproval of who the Princess had chosen to ‘waste’ her valuable time and effort on.

Rainbow guessed that’s why she was so willing to overlook Trixie’s own flaws. She genuinely seemed to get Rainbow—at least, to an extent. Trixie was looking to prove herself and not hide her talents away. It had been so long since she could connect with another pony like that, Rainbow had either missed or ignored the signs that Trixie had started to play up her connections too. Still, at least in the end Trixie had shown that as much as she wanted the perks that came with it, she wanted to be Rainbow’s friend more. That was a lot more that could be said for a lot of the high society types Rainbow had to introduce Luna to.

Fancy seemed to accept Rainbow’s answer, at least in part. “That does sound wise. But still, you never really did manage to be accepted by Canterlot society. That begs the question of what aid could you offer? You could advise her regarding what to not do, but it seems you’re a little short on offering advice for what the Princess should do.” Rainbow had no answer to that. “It seems like you and Miss Rarity both have a perspective to bring to the table. A pity you seem to be working at cross-purposes.”

“You spoke with her already, huh?” Rainbow’s feathers ruffled. She couldn’t help but think about the ponies who gossiped about her behind her back, instead of having the spine to actually talk to her. She flicked her ear in annoyance. It was like having this really negative, really naggy voice whispering in her head that saw everything in the worst possible way. “Then I guess you know what happened.”

“I know she’s rather upset at the moment.” Fancy Pants stroked his mustache. “And so are you. You both feel rather strongly about, ah, affairs of Canterlot society.” He raised his eyebrow at his own understatement.

Rainbow snorted. “Let me guess: you’re here to tell me that I’m wrong, that high society isn’t that bad?” She shook her head. “I’ve heard it all before. Celestia wanted me to keep giving them another chance, too—she didn’t seem to get it though. I did give them another chance. Maybe a dozen chances. But every time I tried giving them the benefit of the doubt, it always came back to bite me on the rump!” She paused, wincing slightly. “Uh, no offense to you and Fleur. You’re like, the exception that proves the rule or something.”

“My thanks for that,” Fancy chuckled dryly. “In any event, it’s not really my place to tell you anything. I’d much rather be listening. Tends to be a bit more productive, I’ve found.”

She untensed a bit. She’d been expecting an argument but he wasn’t offering one. The tension in her wings vanished and she shuffled them against her sides. “I’d rather be doing than listening.”

“Oh?” Fancy asked. “Why’s that?”

It took Rainbow a moment to put her thoughts into words. “I’m not saying listening is a bad thing, but when you just listen to the same message day in, day out … it messes with you.” She looked up at him. “Imagine being constantly told that it’s right for things to be this way and not that way. That what you care about isn’t important, that you aren’t important because you like something different or because you don’t act a certain way. Sounds like it’s just a difference of opinion, right?” Fancy nodded faintly. “Yeah, well, if it’s just what one pony thinks, you can just ignore it. But when everypony around you all has the same opinion about you and you hear it all the time...” Rainbow shook her head. “If you hear something too much, even if it’s nonsense, you start to think that maybe there might be something to it. If you spend too much time thinking about it, you let self-doubt set-in and before too long, you end up convincing yourself that you’re worthless because of some utterly stupid reason.”

Rainbow knew that Twilight would never agree. She loved thinking about something from every possible angle, coming up with schedules and plans and checklists—oh Celestia, the checklists. But mostly, she just loved thinking about things for the sheer joy of thinking about it. Rainbow wasn’t like that. She knew saying that would make her sound thick or uneducated, but she didn’t care. If she spent that amount of time thinking about each flap of her wings, each breath she took while she was flying, she’d totally lose her momentum and rhythm. She had to be in the moment, living in the moment. Because if you weren’t going to live in the moment, when in the hay would you?

She shook her head as she looked to Fancy. “If you do that, you’re going to end up totally alone or become so concerned with how to...” she gestured, trying to think of the right word. “To accommodate their opinions that you end up sacrificing your own opinions and your own sense of self-worth.” She shrugged. “Ponies who do nothing but think end up getting tied into knots and tearing themselves up from the inside. They question themselves to the point of paralysis and aren’t able to break out of it.”

Fancy Pants didn’t say a word for what felt like a long time. The silence fell heavily on Rainbow, making her wondering if what she said hadn’t made sense or if he thought she was dumb or something. Eventually, he nodded. “I see your point. I’m certainly unhappy to hear that other ponies attempted to make you feel inferior for not fitting their own ideals. However, are you truly mad at them for saying such things, or yourself for having ever believed them?”

Rainbow flinched slightly. This guy had a talent for going for the jugular. “I shouldn’t have cared,” she admitted. “I mean, I know I’m awesome. Princess Celestia knew I was awesome—why wasn’t that enough? Why did I give a flying feather about what a bunch of ponies I didn’t care about thought?” She didn’t realize she had started shouting until she heard her voice faintly echoing across the (thankfully empty) rooftop.

“It’s been my experience,” Fancy Pants said slowly, giving Rainbow a chance to calm herself, “that ponies who truly don’t care what others say or think are the most arrogant individuals I’ve ever had the displeasure of meeting. How could they be otherwise? If they are convinced they are always right, why would they ever need to acknowledge somepony else’s view?”

Rainbow knew plenty of ponies thought she was arrogant, her friends included. And if she was being totally honest with herself, she could be sometimes. But at the end of the day, she cared too much about what her friends thought of her to totally dismiss them. She frowned, wondering how she could feel that way when she’d just told Fancy Pants all about the danger of letting others control how she thought about herself. Wasn’t that a contradiction? “But how can you ever be yourself if you’re always doing what other ponies say? Once you let somepony else determine your own self-worth, it takes for feathering ever to get it back again.”

“Too true, but you’re missing an important distinction.” Fancy offered a supportive grin. “It is one thing to be aware of other viewpoints, but you shouldn’t feel obligated to act on them if you think you’re correct. But you shouldn’t dismiss them out of hoof either. When it comes to who you are and what you should be—how you see yourself always ultimately rests with you.” He removed an imaginary bit of dust from his lapel. “If you don’t care about what anypony thinks, you effectively shut yourself off from others and become trapped in your own self-delusions. If you take heed to everypony’s opinion, you’ll tear yourself apart trying to please them all, as you said. It’s a difficult balance to find, but I have every confidence you’ll discover it for yourself.”

Oh, was that all? Rainbow Dash fought to urge to roll her eyes. No problem. Should have that knocked out right before lunch. “Celestia seems like she always makes her own decisions,” she observed, not quite agreeing or disagreeing.

Fancy Pants smile turned dry. “Hm, it does seem the way, doesn’t it? But when she makes a decision, she doesn’t make it obvious how much of her own judgment came from herself or from the advice of others. Makes her seem much more mysterious and wise that way.”

Okay, that fit with Rainbow’s own experience with her. That thought made her look at him curiously. “You seem to know a lot about how she thinks.”

“I have been around a while.” Fancy made a show of adjusting his bowtie. “It seems like the mountain was only half as high when I was young.”

She knew he was doing—what was that called? Right, dissembling, but wasn’t really about to call him on it. “Maybe that’s why you can handle all this.” Rainbow sighed slightly. “I wasn’t born in Canterlot. Maybe I just don’t belong here. Maybe I never did.”

Fancy Pants remained ever unflappable. “Come now, feeling sorry for yourself is hardly productive.”

That accusation irked her like a flick between the eyes. “Oh yeah, and flailing about not knowing what you’re doing is just so productive.” She snorted. “Do you have any idea how incredibly frustrating it is? To be good—no, great—at something, but end up being judged on something totally different? Or worse, not even know what that something different even is?” She felt her blood pumping in anger. “How about trying to get answers from a pony who’s spent thousands of years perfecting the art of never giving a straight answer?”

She thought she had him when he went quiet. But then he answered, in a more hushed tone than previously “As a matter of fact—I do.”

That’s when it hit her like a thunderbolt. She’d opened up to him because the way he talked to her seemed so familiar. His demeanor, how he kept himself calm even when she was agitated, getting her to explain her own thoughts without judging her, it was just like talking with her. Rainbow Dash leaned back slowly. “You mean you were—?”

“Surprised?” Fancy Pants chuckled. “I can’t say I blame you. I know I’m not the stuff most ponies would think of when they think of the Princess’s personal student, but then again, neither are you. And that’s the point.”

Um, wow. Rainbow blinked. This was … unexpected. Though when it came to Celestia, she seemed to like getting away with the unexpected so she guessed she should have expected it—but then it wouldn’t have been unexpected and—gah, stop thinking about it. She rubbed her face. “Okay, just—okay. Let’s start again. You were Princess Celestia’s student?”

“Quite.” Fancy’s tone was so nonchalant that he might as well have been discussing the weather. Yep, he had definitely been tutored by Celestia.

She pressed on. “And you’re now this Canterlot bigshot—you practically run the city when the Princess is busy. Is this what she was training you to do?” Rainbow hesitated, almost afraid of the answer. “Is this what she’s training me to do?”

Fancy was slow in answering, which did nothing to allay Rainbow’s fears. But when he spoke, it wasn’t with the yes or no she’d been expecting. “It’s been my experience that Princess Celestia may tell you in what direction to look, but she never tells you what it is you should see.” He looked out over Canterlot. “I’m here because I want to be here. I may not have always known that, but there it is. Your task is to find out what it is you want.”

Rainbow shook her head, barely suppressing a frustrated yell. “I know what I want! I want to be a Wonderbolt!” She’d wanted it for so long it was hard for her to imagine wanting anything else—it was practically a part of who she was. Princess Celestia had gently told her to be careful about investing so much of her own identity and self-worth into a name and blue spandex. At the time, she thought Celestia was telling her she shouldn’t join the Wonderbolts. Rainbow hadn’t taken it well. Thinking about it now, though, she realized what Celestia had been trying to say. But Rainbow still wanted it so badly...

“Then what’s the trouble?” Fancy Pants inquired with his customary aplomb.

“It’s because I didn’t need to be Celestia’s student to do that!” Rainbow snapped. “Yeah, I know that sounds mean and ungrateful, but it’s the truth!” Yes, the extra time and training she’d done with Celestia had certainly improved her flying, but she could’ve gotten a professional trainer to do pretty much the same thing. A personal coach probably wouldn’t have taken the time to teach her about history and philosophy and stuff.

As it was, the progress she had made didn’t feel like enough. It’d be like training intensely and finding out you only improved your wingspeed by two or something. Yes, you’d technically have gotten better, but it wasn’t really anything to write home about.

Rainbow shouldn’t be thinking this stuff! She shouldn’t be thinking about how somepony else could do the job basically as good as Celestia had. If Rainbow didn’t get more out of being her student, didn’t that make her a failure? She sighed. “I appreciate everything she’s done for me—but if it was just going to result in something I could’ve done on my own, then what was even the point of it all?”

Fancy Pants dipped his head. “If you want the answer to that, then I think we both know who it is you’re going to have to talk to.”

That was pretty unambiguous. But then, she’d always known sooner or later she’d have to get the answer straight from the horse’s mouth. No point putting it off any longer. “Yeah,” she finally murmured. “I guess so.” She started flapping her wings, carrying her off the rooftop. “Excuse me Fancy, I gotta go take care of something.”

“But of course.” Fancy had barely gotten the words out before Rainbow had flown up and into the night.

Comments ( 10 )

“Imagine being constantly told that it’s right for things to be this way and not that way. That what you care about isn’t important, that you aren’t important because you like something different or because you don’t act a certain way. Sounds like it’s just a difference of opinion, right?” Fancy nodded faintly. “Yeah, well, if it’s just what one pony thinks, you can just ignore it. But when everypony around you all has the same opinion about you and you hear it all the time...” Rainbow shook her head. “If you hear something too much, even if it’s nonsense, you start to think that maybe there might be something to it. If you spend too much time thinking about it, you let self-doubt set-in and before too long, you end up convincing yourself that you’re worthless because of some utterly stupid reason.”

Or in other words, tell a big enough lie often enough, and people will start to believe it as true. It never leads anywhere good.

That bit aside it seems like Rainbow is going to ask why Celestia chose her, and is unlikely to take an evasive answer as an answer at all.

Seriously deep chapter...

The way Luna and Rarity play off of each other, then Rarity and Fancy Pants, and finally Fancy Pants and Rainbow Dash...

Dash seems to stubbornly want everything to be black and white, right and wrong... because if it is, she can fix it. She can DO. There's worse character flaws to have, and it's enjoyable seeing her struggle with the shades of gray and try to do her best.

7997055

Thank you! Yes, that is part of Rainbow's nature. She's very straightforward. If you're flying at supersonic speed, you better be looking at what's in front of you or you might end up plowing headfirst into a mountain. She has the same approach to life. There are problems that come with that worldview, but there others come with their own too.

The phrase "straight from the horse's mouth" takes a much more negative connotation in this setting...

Trinary, I have no words for how much you made my day! I have been absent from the fandom for some months, and the second I come back you have a new chapter of one of my favourite series ready for me

8003940

Wow, thanks John Snow! Don't let anyone tell you that you know nothing. XD

8004037
Well, I know awesomeness when I see it :rainbowlaugh: Now excuse me, I gotta go back to being stabbed. :rainbowwild:

While I do like Fancy Pants in this scene I think Rainbow should have talk to Celestia. Because she knows about high society and keep her sister out of it would have hurt her more. Plus I Celestia should get more one on one time with her student.

Rarity exhaled, her tone becoming slightly bitter. “Yes, Trixie the ‘Great and Powerful’.”

She's not that bad. ;)

Anyway, very deep and great chapter. Fancy Pants as a former student of Celestia's? Yeah, I can see it. Dash, him, Rarity, Luna, all were great here. Can't wait for the next chapter now that I'm all caught up!

I hope you get back to finish this one...
Seriously i read the entire dash verse(Should comment on the other fics because i need to stress how great they are,but i am a lazy bum...)
In any case this side story was pretty good, and you stopped just after things were getting good too!

Login or register to comment