• Published 1st Jan 2016
  • 2,012 Views, 51 Comments

Diamond and the Rough - Trinary



Dashverse: Rarity and Rainbow Dash are friends, but they don't have much in common. This becomes a problem when Princess Luna needs their help with the Equestria Summit and the two friends have vastly differing ideas on how to proceed.

  • ...
3
 51
 2,012

Chapter 3

Rarity had set up shop in her room at the castle. By the next day, it was a riot of sketches, sample fabrics and a host of supplies Rainbow Dash couldn’t readily identify. As soon as Luna arrived, Rarity tossed gown after gown on her. With nothing else to do, Rainbow had sat down to read some Daring Do.

Just as Daring was about to make her escape from the whirlpool of lava, Rarity let out a delighted shriek. “Yes, that’s perfect!

Rainbow looked up to see Luna wearing a stunning dress of dark blues and purples with streaks of bright silver running through it. Luna tilted her head as she looked herself over in the mirror. “It looks most lovely, but I fail to see how this will improve my standing.”

“It’s all part of your rebranding, Princess.” Rarity explained.

Rainbow Dash gave them a skeptical look. “So … what you’re gonna show off her cutie mark a lot?”

“I do not think presenting my hindquarters in such a manner would enhance the royal dignity,” Luna commented.

“Not that kind of branding.” Rarity barely resisted the urge to facehoof, half-suspecting that Rainbow Dash knew what she meant and was just doing this on purpose. “What we are going to do is show them a whole new side of you.”

Rainbow couldn’t resist the opening. “Well, if you had her walk backwards a lot that would--hmph!” A length of fabric wrapped around her muzzle, cutting her off.

“If you’re quite through,” Rarity said archly, tightening the strip for emphasis, “what I meant was that Princess Luna needs to show off those attributes of her personality that she has not had the chance to demonstrate. Regalness. Elegance. Dignity!” She smiled encouragingly. “You must demonstrate your familiarity with modern society while awing them with your old-world charms.”

Luna hummed neutrally to herself as she examined her reflection. “I believe I understand what you are speaking of; even if my familiarity with the modern world is ... incomplete.”

“That's okay,” Rainbow assured her once she got her muzzle free. “You just have to be cool.”

Luna turned to her, tilting her head curiously. “‘Cool?’”

“Yeah, you know. You have to y’know...” she waved her hoof vaguely. “Make everyone recognize how amazing you are.”

Luna grimaced. “Easier said than done, at least for social occasions, in my experience. It would be simple if I were slaying a dragon or some other great monster, but such is not the case here.”

Rarity gave a nervous titter as she adjusted a hem. “I somehow doubt that will be necessary here, your highness. Now, the reception will features some of the finest musical talent in Equestria: Sapphire Shores, Countess Coloratura, Octavia Philharmonica—”

“And Vinyl Scratch!” Rainbow grinned. “She’s an old friend from my Canterlot days.”

“Yes, yes,” Rarity rolled her eyes slightly. “In any event, there will be no shortage of photographers and paparazzi present: Photo Finish, Fashion Plate, Trenderhoof—if you could be seen with some of the entertainers, perhaps offer some thoughts on music or entertainment or fashion, it would greatly assist your new image; demonstrate that you have your hoof on the latest trends.” She cleared her throat. “We can go over just what the latest trends are; the key is to express your interest in the latest trends, but not be seen as a follower. But you shouldn’t be seen as supporting an unpalatable taste either, so the trick is—”

Rainbow raised a hoof. “Uh, what about if she just gives her own opinion? Radical idea, I know, but…”

Luna smiled slightly. “It is not as though I have shunned all such things since my return. I have even found I like some of the more modern forms of music.”

“Really?” Rarity’s expression brightened. “What, pray tell?”

“I have found I most enjoy a genre called metal.” The princess paused, shooting her a hopeful smile. “Tell me, will metal be playing for the summit? I am sure that would show that I am not completely out of touch with the common pony.”

Dimly aware of Rainbow pumping her hoof, Rarity forcefully maintained her smile, her eye twitching slightly. “Yes, well ... we shall have to see. So, about your dress: there’s sure to be many questions about it. Now, the hemline is hoof-stitched while the patterns on the sides symbolize—”

Rainbow cleared her throat meaningfully. “I don’t think anypony there is really going to care about the symbolism of her dress.”

Rarity frowned at her tone. “Rainbow Dash, could we speak for a minute?”

“Is there a problem?” Luna looked over.

“Not at all!” Rarity hastily assured her. “I just--need to confer with my colleague.”

“Very well then. I think this dress should do fine, in any event.”

Rarity beamed at the Princess’ praise. “I am most glad to hear it! If anyone asks, the appliqué is an incorporation of Zebra woven fabrics while the filigree is based on an update of the classic designs of Hoity Toity.”

Luna blinked and took another look in the mirror. “I will have to take your word on that. How about you two talk while I take care of other matters? There is still much to be done, after all.”

“That sounds wonderful, your highness. Thank you!” Rarity bowed low.

“Of course. Let me just remove this dress and I will leave you two to your own work.”

Luna’s casual remark set Rarity blushing. “O-oh! Um, perhaps it's we who ought to leave...”

Her unease set Rainbow’s eyes rolling while Luna gave her a ghost of a grin. “Is something the matter, fair Rarity?”

Rarity struggled with herself. “It's just that ... my only concern is for the dignity of your ... position.”

“Ah,” Luna nodded as if only now understanding. “Yes, we would not want ponies talking, would we? Considering all the time we have been spending together, it might get all sorts of tongues wagging.”

“Y-yes, precisely.” Rarity gulped nervously.

Rainbow bit down to repress her snickers, but all that did was to draw Luna’s attention to her. “And let us not forget the strapping young athlete.”

“Yeah, uh--wha?” The smile fell off Rainbow’s face in record speed.

Luna nodded. “Oh indeed: you are fierce, fast, brave and strong—all these are admirable qualities to have in a companion. Were it not for my sister’s disapproval, I would gladly seek your companionship.” Dead silence reigned until Luna cracked a smile. “Now then, I shall leave you two to your own … deliberations. I’ll oversee the preparations in the kitchen.” Luna gave them one last wink and walked out.

Rainbow was the first to recover, chuckling slightly. “She sure is something.”

Rarity huffed. “Oh really must you encourage her so?”

“Why not?” Rainbow tried to repress her snickers. “It was funny! It’s great to have somepony like her be so—normal you know? Joking around like anypony else?”

“Because she’s not everypony else and you know it!”

“What, you’re saying she’s better than anypony else? That she should think she’s the universe’s gift to ponykind?” Rainbow looked irritated. “Perhaps we should have them all line up to kiss her hooves whenever she walks into a room?”

“And they call me a drama queen…” Rarity muttered, rolling her eyes. “It’s all well and good to be approachable, but remember who her audience here is: these are the elite. They expect a certain amount of poise and sophistication. She’s not going to impress any of them with her rather … ribald and bawdy sense of humor.”

Rainbow Dash knew from her own experience that she was right about, but wasn’t willing to let the greater point go. “So, it’s more important for her to impress the high-class ponies than the rest of Equestria? There’s a lot more of them than there are the elites.”

“It … depends on the situation.” Rarity bit her lip. “You don’t act the same at a formal function as you would at a slumber party with your closest friends. It’s about what’s appropriate to the situation.”

“Maybe,” Rainbow relented. “Still feels a lot like catering to whoever you want to impress; changing yourself to make a better impression. It feels … I dunno, dishonest.”

Rarity shook her head and sighed. “I understand that this makes you uncomfortable, darling, but the truth is that nopony is the same in public as they are in private. Not even you.” Rainbow scowled and turned away. “That’s not a criticism! It’s just part of life. Now then, let’s try on your dress…”

She didn’t put up a fuss as she got dressed, standing still while Rarity looked her over and adjusted things here or there. Her leg twitched, her hoof tapping impatiently. She hissed every so often as Rarity worked a needle into her side.

Part of her wanted to go to Celestia for advice, but she fought against that impulse. If I go running to Celestia every time I have a problem, I’d never accomplish anything. But she realized that was only part of the cause. She felt like this whole issue with Luna and the elite was the sort of thing Celestia trained her for. If she couldn’t handle this … Then that means that Celestia wasted her time on me. That I’m nothing but a failure. She flinched in a way that had nothing to do with Rarity’s needles.

Rainbow Dash wasn't usually very introspective . She was comfortable doing, not pondering her navel. To her, the sort of deep thinking Twilight was so fond of was like thinking about each individual flap of her wings: if she did that, she’d never be able to fly as well as she did. But now that she had these thoughts forced upon her there, Rainbow wasn’t one to shy away from facing reality.

Ever since she’d come back to Canterlot with Rarity, she’d found herself confronted point-blank with just what she was supposed to do, supposed to be as Celestia’s student. And the more she thought about it, the more she wasn’t sure what any of that actually meant. What was really expected of her? To be a problem-solver, a diplomat like Celestia? Then why is that Rarity is better at this than me? She tapped her hoof in annoyance. What am I missing?

Her ruminations were cut off by a sharp pain in her side. “Ow!”

Rarity rolled her eyes. “Honestly, Rainbow Dash the needle barely even touched you.”

“Sure. This time,” Rainbow Dash glared at her. “You’ve stuck me about a dozen times already.” She turned her head to look at the clock. Forty-five minutes had past. “I still don’t see why you couldn’t have used a ponyquin.” She was just grateful she’d managed to talk Rarity out of having her model her new clothesline. Seriously, what’s the point in wearing clothes underneath your other clothes? Nopony else will even see them!

When she said as much out loud, Rarity took off her work glasses so she could rub her muzzle. “I don’t expect you to understand that my new undergarments will be the avant-garde of future fashion.” Rainbow rolled her eyes as Rarity continued. “As I explained, several times if you recall, that I did not bring any ponyquins with me. While I could have asked for one to be brought to the castle, few ponyquins have wings. It’s important that a dress be comfortable and functional regardless of what position your wings are in.”

“I know that nopony’s going to have their wings standing straight and not moving for an hour,” Rainbow grunted. “Not unless they’ve been looking at PlayColt—OW!” She clasped a hoof to her rear as she was stuck with a needle. “You did that on purpose!”

“I did no such thing,” Rarity replied breezily, stepping away before Rainbow could spot her smile. “Now, the more you keep squirming and fussing, the longer this will take.” Though Rainbow Dash couldn’t see her face, she could practically hear Rarity’s smile. “I should also add that the more you squirm, the more likely it is your hindquarters will become my new pincushion.”

Rainbow Dash snorted and tossed her head, unable to do much more than that. “Just hurry it up, will you?”

Rarity looked at her. “Rainbow Dash, I’m designing outfits for the Equestria Grand Summit--Princess Luna’s debut! Everything must be perfect. It must!” She dramatically draped her hoof across her forehead. “I must leave no design unconsidered, and that means examining all the possibilities until I find the one that screams perfection!

“You better not take that long,” Rainbow warned her. “I have to go.”

“Hm? Are you meeting with somepony?”

“No.” Rainbow fidgeted. “I mean, I have to go. Y’know?”

Rarity’s mouth formed a small ‘o’ of understanding. “I see. You have to go powder your nose?”

Rainbow Dash snorted. “Why would I have to do that? I just have to pee.”

That caused Rarity’s nose to crinkle. “Really, has nopony told you that in polite society one simply does not announce their business? Having to ‘powder one’s nose’ is the proper way to excuse oneself.”

“Sounds kinda familiar,” Rainbow’s ear twitched as she thought about it for a moment, then shrugged it off. She knew what Rarity meant, but at this point pretending that she didn’t was her own small measure of revenge. “Doesn’t make any sense, though. If everypony knows what you really mean, why bother?”

“It’s about what’s appropriate and … I’m not getting into a discussion about bathroom etiquette.” Rarity declared firmly. “Just … please, indulge me.”

Seems like that’s all I’ve been doing, Rainbow thought irritably, biting her tongue at the last moment to keep herself from saying it out-loud. Instead all she said was, “Okay, fine. Can I go now?”

“Oh, very well,” Rarity relented, using her magic to carefully remove Rainbow’s clothes to prevent them from becoming creased. “I think I have enough of an appreciation for how wings move in order to work on the Princess’ dress.”

“Good.” Rainbow rolled her shoulders and stretched. She looked around the room at the bolts and sheets of fabric that lay scattered every which way. “Do you really need this much stuff? You’re only making three dresses, but you look like you have enough for a dozen!”

“Well, I do want to give Princess Luna some options for the accents.” Rarity answered.

Rainbow sighed. “Yeah, well, okay. That makes sense. S’not like we have to carry this stuff back to Ponyville or anything.”

Rarity made a strangled sound. “Um, beg pardon? I was told that I would be compensated for any purchases I made on behalf of the Princess while I was making her dress—or our own.”

“Yeah, but you don’t need all this stuff,” Dash pointed out. “When you’re done, you can return whatever you don’t use, right?”

“Yes, well,” Rarity cleared her throat. “This is premiere material—some of which I cannot even get in Ponyville.” She traced a hoof over the soft material and sighed pleasantly. “This really is a golden opportunity to work with the highest-quality fabric in Equestria … and really, weren’t you the one saying back at the Golden Chalice that a few bits weren’t that important to the Princesses?”

“I—” Rainbow Dash drew up short. “I gotta go. Be back in a few.” She whirled around and trotted out without waiting for Rarity’s reply.

She navigated the corridors of the castle on sheer instinct. Even though she knew the castle, and Canterlot, like the back of her hoof, Rainbow Dash had never felt so lost.