• Published 18th Dec 2015
  • 18,871 Views, 985 Comments

The Clockwork Consequence - Michy



Social reject, blank flank, and failed candidate for Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. Twilight Sparkle holds little confidence for her future. But when even her own recluse world comes crashing down, will she choose to act?

  • ...
69
 985
 18,871

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter XXI: Hearts and Railroads

Chapter XXI: Hearts and Railroads

Chapter 20 Recap: Amidst deep reflection, Captain Dash looks back on her life, before finally confronting Twilight Sparkle.


To say Lemon Hearts was beyond tired was an understatement, as she sat absently in one of the empty window seats in a booth on the train. Looking out towards the sky, she felt drained of all energy, as her head was rested against a window's surface. Yet even despite her own exhaustion, her thoughts still rolled. How could Equestria still appear so beautiful, while deep down in its roots, it was hideous. But then again, she often felt she forgot Minuette's message. That truly deep down in its roots, Equestria was destined for beauty, for kindness and love, for peace and happiness. Where did Minuette get such optimism? She admired it. As she looked towards the stars which were still visible, and the train continued its descent down the mountain, she pondered the source of such optimism. Where did it come from?

"Um, excuse me."

Lemon Hearts eyes widened, startled by the sudden voice. She looked to her right, catching sight of an idle Nightmare Guard.

The Nightmare Guard was a pegasus mare, dark in color with a light blue mane. She placed a hoof over her chest, "Corporal Sea-..." she paused, then exhaled with a deep and bitter sigh, before slowing her pace. "Seastone Black, Ma'am. I just wanted to say thank you."

Lemon Hearts had her forehooves resting on her thighs as she just looked at this mare as if she were crazy. She took another second to glance around at everypony else, majority who sat and were gravely silent. But some, as she'd expect, were eyeing her and the Nightmare Guard cautiously, more particularly the remaining Celestial Defenders, who were worried for their temporary leader. Lemon Hearts looked back to the Nightmare Guard before uttering in slight embarrassment. "Um ... what for? I didn't do anything special. So it's fine."

Seastone shook her head. "No, you're wrong." She looked down towards the ground guiltily. "I think I get it now."

Lemon Hearts raised a brow as she smirked a bit out of nervous habit, and slight amusement at the wording. "Huh?"

Seastone looked at her seriously. "I always knew we were just fodder for the Princess. But I didn't really care because she was powerful, and I mistook her power for safety. I mistook her power for bravery." Pain coursed through her at the thought of her stupidity, as it was near impossible to hide while looking upon Lemon Hearts. "But out of fear, she resorted to sacrificing her own. We were all idiots."

Lemon Hearts didn't really know what to say to her, as she sat there in surprise, before tiredly glancing downward. "It's okay, we all make mistakes after all." Deep down she didn't care about what the mare had to say. She felt wrong because of it, but, she was too tired to care. It's not like she was perfect either. She was far less passionate about all this fighting, and all this conflict in comparison to Twinkleshine and Minuette. She was nopony this mare needed to apologize to. She only did what she felt was best, they all did, didn't they?

Seastone shook her head again. "But you were at least brave enough to go against the odds."

Lemon Hearts casually glanced over at her again, still not too convinced her actions were that significant.

Seastone continued. "You had enough faith to do the right thing. That has to mean something these days. Right?"

Lemon Hearts looked back out towards the sky from her window. Does it? She pondered the question herself.

The nightmare guards who went with them, and the Celestial Defenders, were all silent as they sat, just taking in the reprieve.

Lemon Hearts was trying to look past the storm, towards a more clear sky the further they got from the city. She sat there, thinking to herself in her own little world. Does anything I do really have that much significance? Or am I just following the crowd? Lemon Hearts looked down at her hoof, still pondering the answer. Do I really care? Or am I just parroting off Minuette on the side? Do I even matter?

"Lemon Hearts!" A Celestial Defender hastily poked her head out the doors to the locomotive. "Minuette is calling for you!"

Lemon Hearts immediately rose, as all eyes on the train were on her. She scurried out the booth and went into a rushed trot into the front of the train, as the Celestial Guard who informed her had stepped aside. Breathing heavily from sheer nervousness, Lemon Hearts immediately looked to Minuette who was covered in a blanket and also still wheezing due to her overuse of magic. She was in a corner, resting against a pile of cloaks, safely tucked away. Lemon Hearts began approaching her, "M-Minuette? Are you okay? I'm here."

Minuette struggled to even open her eyes while she remained stationary in her corner. But she tried nonetheless. "Lemon..."

Lemon Hearts proceeded even closer before lowering her frame and placing a hoof atop Minuette's head. "What is it Minuette?"

Minuette tried to push back her exhaustion, and gave Lemon Hearts a grave stare. "P-Please, be careful..."

Lemon Hearts raised a brow at her as she tilted her head to the right, not understanding her initially.

But Minuette placed a hoof against her chest as her stare worsened. "Danger..."

Lemon Hearts' eyes went wide, before the sound of a loud thump echoed all the way at the back of the train. Lemon Hearts trembled, as she hurried to all fours, and made her way out the front of the train back into the passenger cart. She glanced around at everypony else, who eyed her for orders. She stood straight, attempting to appear a bit more confident. "You all stay here. I'll ... I'll check it out first."

Two of the Celestial Defenders shook their heads at her, while majority were in agreement with them. One spoke out, "No way!"

But Lemon Hearts remained persistent. "Yes way! O-Okay? I'll just scope it out, I'm responsible for you all at the moment so..."

Seastone frowned at her before banging her lance. "No you're not! We can take care of ourselves, and we want to help."

Lemon Hearts sighed. "Listen, I'm not much of a fighter pony or anything. I ... I'm not good at any of that. I'm no leader, and I wasn't made one cause I'm special or anything. I get scared and afraid all the time, I'm scared even now. Minuette trusts me and protects me all the time, which is why I even made it this far." She looked down towards the ground. "But majority of you are different. If anything, I don't want whatever's up there knowing you all are down here. We can't afford a large scuffle right now. It's better if I go alone." She took a second to acknowledge them all seriously with a glance. "I'll be quick, I also got a plan so it's not all bad okay?" She gulped, then smiled.

Others looked at her reluctantly, as Seastone realized her point, noticing the citizens on the train. "Fine, but scream if you need help."

Lemon Hearts rubbed at the back of her neck with a slightly reassured look. "Um yeeeeah ... I think I'll do that regardless."


Minutes later, Lemon Hearts was crawling upon her belly, further towards the back of the train. She mused quiet mutterings to herself as she did so, primarily worried complaints. Eventually, after a few carts back, she huffed, staring plainly at the hooks which held two of the cars together. She bit her lower lip, as to remain quiet while listening in on whatever was overhead, which sounded like one pony?

"Aha! See, and here you didn't believe. You did not believe Trixie had the capability to accomplish such an impressive feat! To even reach the top of a moving train is no complicated matter for the Great and Powerful, Trixieeeeee! Nothing more than mere foal's play I say!"

Lemon Hearts continued to lay on her belly, as she glanced back, towards the many doors which eventually lead to the front passenger car. From the distance, she could see all the others waiting, like tiny specs, and it gave her revitalized determination. Just scream if I get in trouble right? T-That shouldn't be too hard. I mean ... it's not as if I'm not just about ready to jump out of my coat. Right?

"Wait, what're you doing? Why're you shaking like that? Ew! Stop that nonsense this instant! It's unsightly!"

Lemon Hearts raised a brow as she kept looking upward. Now, feeling a bit more confused. What's with her?

"What do you mean somepony is listening to us? What in the blue blazes is a Pinka Sense!? Speak clearly!"

Lemon Hearts flinched, her teeth now chattering as she trembled. She closed her eyes tight. Okay! Here goes nothing!


Atop the moving train, both Trixie and Diane stood as it was currently heading down the side of the mountain, with the mountain wall currently on their left. As the seconds drew on, Canterlot only naturally grew further away, though it was still not far off. Both Trixie and Diane's bangs fluttered with the strong winds, as Trixie's nose wrinkled at the sight of both the fading city, and the storm which loomed over it. "And why in Equestria did you want us to hop on here!? If anything, Trixie expects us to find no more than a few escaping citizens!"

But Diane had her usual blank stare as she casually began to trot forward. "Well just think about it silly." She tapped her hoof lightly on the side of her head twice. "If they are just citizens, that still doesn't explain how they made it out of the Princess' spell, duuuuh."

Trixie gasped due to her point, but she still wanted to be correct. "E-Even so, Trixie doubts that alicorn is on this train."

Diane paused, glancing back at Trixie and remaining silent, but actually attentive to what she was saying.

Trixie continued, raising her head. "And shouldn't that be what's most important hm? Would you disagree, Diane?"

Diane was still silent, as she blinked a few times and then smiled with a giggle. "Wow, you're quite the sneaky one hm?"

Trixie cocked a brow as she sneered slightly in confusion. "W-Wha? What? What in the hay are you going on about now!?" Only after a few seconds did Trixie catch on that it was somepony behind her who caught Diane's attention. She slowly turned, still more than agitated from all this. As she saw a unicorn standing there, her feelings only intensified. "Oh? Well well well, who do we have here?"

Lemon Hearts trembled as she stared at them seriously. But she felt herself growing pale with the fact she actually recognized one of the ponies. "I'd like to ask you two the same thing." That's Trixie Lulamoon. C-Can this seriously get any worse!? What are the chances? And who's this other one? She stared plainly now at Diane who continued to smile back at her. I ... I definitely can't let these two get to Minuette. I need to keep them distracted. Why oh why did it have to be Trixie Lulamoon of all ponies? How can we possibly get out of this? She gulped again, needing time to compose herself. "What do you want? How did you even get up here? I don't want any trouble."

Trixie broke out into wild laughter. "How? Hooooow? Now surely you are pulling Trixie's leg!" She grinned at Lemon Hearts in a snide overconfident manner. "Trixie is the most powerful unicorn there is! It is impossible for one not to know this." She placed a hoof over her chest with a light scoff. "I mean perhaps it is possible should you say, one were living under a literal rock their entire life. But even then it's quite hard not to know Trixie." She used a hoof to reference the forestry in the distance. "Which is why if she concentrates enough, not even a moving train can stop her! No distance is too far for Trixie! She is the master of masters! The grand mare extraordinaire!"

Diane glanced over at Trixie, legitimately confused. "Huh? But didn't you say earlier that you couldn't reach Canterlot in one jump?"

Trixie flushed red, as she snarled fiercely at Diane. "And Trixie told you! It is only because there is a strange fluctuation of magic within that city currently happening! It is not a question of Trixie's skill! It is a question of what sort of cheater stole such powerful magic!"

Diane blinked a bit, before staring at Trixie plainly. "It's okay if you're scared Trixie. I can protect you too you know."

Trixie was fuming, growling even. "And Trixie has said! She is the most powerful unicorn there is! She has nothing to be afraid of!"

Lemon Hearts tried not to intervene with their argument as she stood there. Instead, while atop that particular train car, she had already begun the process of using her telekinetic magic to try and unhook the car they were standing on from the multiple ones leading towards the locomotive. She gulped, attempting to concentrate as in her mind, in order to properly unhook the car, she needed to picture the exact location it was at. She kept both Diane and Trixie facing towards her, something to look at out of their hind sight. "W-Well, you won't find anything of importance on this train. So you both can just ... go on doing whatever it is you should be doing and leave! Okay?"

Diane smirked however, as a silence drew on between them. "Maybe we should check ourselves, juuuuust to be safe."

Lemon Hearts bit her lower lip in frustration. "Safe!? After what you all did tonight, and you talk about safe!?"

Diane closed her eyes and now chuckled playfully. "No need to be angry silly! We'll believe you, if you Pinka Promise."

Lemon Hearts raised a brow at Diane, now only more puzzled. "Wha?"

Trixie raised a hoof to her face as she groaned heavily. "Oh not this nonsense again."

Diane continued, opening her eyes ever so slightly at the mare. "Pinka Promise, I'll know if you are telling the truth!"

Lemon Hearts couldn't pinpoint why ... but in this moment she froze. No answer to her seemed correct.

Diane giggled as she strode a little closer towards Lemon Hearts. "But I have a big hunch that you aaaaaaare, naughty naughty. I also get the hunch that there's a very very scary pony on this train. The same hunch that put us on here in the first place." Diane raised a hoof to her muzzle in thought before pointing a hoof in reference towards the front of the train in particular. "The front of the train, to be exact."

And then, Lemon Hearts immediately unhooked the current train car they were on from the others. Afterwords, she hastily poofed back onto the opposing train cars, and with swift momentum, did her best to use a sudden push of telekinetic force to bring the now disconnected train car to a screeching halt by turning to face them, and ultimately prevent them from following. The moment and effect it had was near instantaneous, as the moving train cars had already been going at a designated speed. Lemon Hearts couldn't bring herself to look either Diane or Trixie in the eyes for she knew how outclassed she was, and even then, knew how this meager attempt at keeping them away from the others could be considered as a joke. I-I need to do something. Nopony on that train can stop Trixie, a-and I don't even know about that second one. We have to get away! She shut her eyes tight as she dug deep inside herself. I have to at least do something now! And with another push of her hooves as her horn glowed, she sent out another wave of telekinetic force in a last ditch effort to create enough distance between the moving train car and now disconnected one, to allow them all to get away without any form of further conflict.

But while both Diane and Trixie stood on the now disconnected car, they both were indeed surprised by what'd just transpired. Neither of them said anything, until Trixie slowly began pressing forward and she tipped her hat downward with a sigh. "Even after all this, this nameless pony dares even to insult Trixie's intelligence." Trixie glared ahead menacingly, "Trixie has had enough of this." Trixie raised a hoof and brought the moving train to a complete halt with sheer telekinetic force, before slowly bit by bit, dragging it back towards them.

Just from the sudden stop alone, Lemon Hearts ended up falling flat on her face before turning onto her side and looking back towards Trixie and Diane, still trembling. She could feel the train desperately attempting to keep itself pushing forward, but Trixie's raw magical talent was unlike anything she'd seen. Lemon Hearts attempted to stand as she shook her head. She can even pull back the train?

Trixie grinned as she continued to slowly pull back the train in reverse along the tracks, only letting off hushed snickers. "Look closely foolish little pony! This is the magical talent of one known as the greatest! Bask before such glory, and tremble! Despair!"

And suddenly, a large thunderous crash echoed above them, and shook the entirety of the mountain and tracks.

Trixie felt herself stumble slightly, while gripping the train. Her eyes were wide with expected confusion, before she readjusted herself to keep her balance. What was that!? Regardless, there was no way she was going to let go of this train! Especially after being insulted by some no name mare from Canterlot City! No, she was going to ensure she was punished, and knew of her status. Trixie grinned at the thought, as she let off a wide devious smirk at the mare. Yes ... she would show them all. But just as those thoughts came, Trixie was tackled by Diane. Trixie was left stunned by the happening, unable to comprehend it, as it all happened so fast. This isn't what she wanted.

Diane tackled Trixie right towards the mountain before she used her hooves to immediately smash in an opening for them to naturally fall into from current momentum. With that, both Trixie and Diane disappeared into that mountainside hole, as a giant cascading boulder then tumbled and crushed the train car they were once upon. This was only followed by a larger series of rocks and boulders.

As the moving train car had lost the grip of Trixie's magic, the train immediately jolted forward violently again with increased speed. Boulders and mountain pieces continued to tumble and fall, but thankfully, the train was now more than quick enough to move along the tracks at a pace to remove itself from the stray falling boulders. However, Lemon Hearts world slowed as due to the sudden jolt, she was forced tumbling off the train, suspended in the air between boulders twice her size, seconds away from descent. She managed to crack a smile however, and she wasn't even sure why. Did the result matter, as long as she felt she accomplished something? She pondered yet again. As reality caught up with her and she fell, she opened her muzzle about to scream. But she stopped herself, and closed her eyes instead.

But then, the silhouettes of three pegasi had already raced off the end of the train with haste.

Why am I always scared? I'm tired of pulling courage out of nowhere. I just wish it felt natural, Minuette...


Minutes later, Lemon Hearts awoke to find herself leaned beside Minuette, her head resting against her's. She was startled, as she glanced around and found she was also covered in a blanket, placed here purposely to get some rest after her train debacle. Lemon Hearts blinked, glancing around as she quickly fell into ease and exhaled. She realized she'd been saved in those last moments, but still...

But apparently upset, stood the nightmare guard from earlier. The pegasus mare had her hooves crossed as she had a hurt look. She looked betrayed in an ironic sense, as she was leaned against the side window of the locomotive. She only looked ahead as the train kept rolling, gritting her teeth with a pained scowl as she squinted, trying to make sense of it. "You know, if I hadn't gotten worried you probably would've fallen. Why didn't you scream earlier? You were obviously dealing with more than you can handle." She only became angrier as while her forehooves were crossed, her stern posture tightened. "Why did you just give up even after succeeding? It makes no sense."

Lemon Hearts looked down guiltily. "I know, it was selfish of me. I'm sorry. I guess, this is all just too much for me. I'm tired..."

The mare turned towards her, looking down at her, still upset. "That doesn't mean you should give in! Even if it feels like nopony notices, even if it feels like it'll always be too much we keep pushing. We live and learn, and we keep pushing! We survive! That's life!" She huffed, before making her way for the door. "Well we stayed on the same course. So we can talk about this more once we get to wherever we're going but," she glanced back at Lemon Hearts again, "Don't toss away your accomplishments. Often times our greatest admirers are ones who watch us from afar, to them approaching us is no different from approaching the Princess. Don't you have somepony like that?"

Lemon Hearts blinked a few times, glancing to her right at Minuette before peering ahead in deep thought.

Seastone sighed. "Just think about it, before you start weighing what you're worth. Also, what happened back there?"

Lemon Hearts flinched, thinking back to both Trixie and Diane, trembling once again in the process.

Seastone continued, raising a brow. "Is it anything we need to worry about now that we've gotten away?"

Lemon Hearts frowned as her head sunk a bit. "I ... I don't think so but," she paused, "Those who serve the Princess..."

Seastone turned to face her yet again, giving her a curious look while still remaining silent and listening.

Lemon Hearts finished. "If the alicorn has ponies like that after her .... I only hope destiny is really in her favor."


I don't know if you're really out there alicorn. But if you are, please, stay safe. We'll be waiting for you, wherever you are.

Amongst the clouds, Captain Dash and Twilight Sparkle still faced one another, for now in silence. In the background scenery of Equestria, one could see the debris from Twilight's telekinetic push of the avalanche, raining down upon the valleys in the distance.

Captain Dash spoke seriously. "So, you're the alicorn huh? You just look like some clueless kid if you ask me."

Twilight Sparkle spread her hooves a bit as her wings curled in and she continued to glare at Captain Dash.

Captain Dash continued. "Your mane is disheveled. Your posture is sloppy and your confidence is fueled only by emotion. If I were to take a guess, you probably don't even have the slightest idea where to go from here do you? So tell me alicorn, what will you do now?"

Twilight Sparkle huffed in annoyance. "Would you stop calling me that? I'm not the alicorn, you said it yourself." She glanced down to her right side, particularly at the wings as she blinked a few times. "I'm just a unicorn, who happened to get lucky." Twilight glanced down guiltily, "P-Perhaps lucky is an understatement." She raised a hoof to her muzzle, tapping it for a second. "Well, maybe not? Judging by the circumstances perhaps it's all fair play." She looked back to Captain Dash. "This magic was gifted to me by a mysterious colt."

Captain Dash's eyes widened at the mention of a colt. "A colt?" She fell gravely silent for some time, before smirking at Twilight in amusement. "So that's how it is, hahaha..." Captain Dash lowered her head as her laughter became louder and more apparent, wild. "Hahahaha!" She raised a hoof to her forehead, unable to contain herself. "There's no way you two are the same! Hahahaha! After all this time, I was worrying about a ghost after all!" There was a hint of disappointment in her expression as she glanced towards the lower right. "Though destiny has played in your hooves alicorn. You've gone in a vastly different direction, one that'll ultimately cost you in the end."

Twilight couldn't help but feel confused due to Captain Dash's claims. "You don't know anything about me..."

Captain Dash raised a hoof to the back of her neck, still chide with confidence. "I know a few things kiddo. I know you're wet behind the ears. I know that magic you claim to have received, is volatile in nature. I've seen what it does to ponies who can't handle it. Eventually, you'll be no different from the Princess you aim to stop." She grinned with half closed eyes, now far more positive than before. "So you lot managed to take out that runt huh? And then he let you have his magic. I guess it all works out in the end. The thread is still different."

Twilight tried to decipher what this all could be about, as she only listened still for now.

Captain Dash let off hushed chuckles again as she got into a combative posture. "Which means, my destiny is also uncertain."

PreviousChapters Next