• Published 18th Dec 2015
  • 18,871 Views, 985 Comments

The Clockwork Consequence - Michy



Social reject, blank flank, and failed candidate for Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. Twilight Sparkle holds little confidence for her future. But when even her own recluse world comes crashing down, will she choose to act?

  • ...
69
 985
 18,871

PreviousChapters Next
Intermission: The Lurking Dark

Intermission: The Lurking Dark

Lady Rarity stood within a hospital room. Nearby was a window, which gave a grander view of Ponyville, and of the surrounding region. Despite the sun being up, within the background of the nearby forests, one could see the distant speck of the barrier surrounding Canterlot ... which had been raised once again.

Standing outside the room were two guards who kept watch, preventing any others from entering.

Lady Rarity seemed struck, in shock as she tried to gather her composure. "And you stated that nopony has seen this besides a collective few of the guard, is that correct?" She glanced over passively at another individual.

It was revealed that to the side of the room were two ponies. A nurse, and Nightmare Guard. The Nightmare Guard kept her helmet at her side and her gaze downward. "Yes Lady Rarity. We um ... wanted it under wraps."

Rarity looked back to the hospital bed, still appearing a bit shaken. "Good."

Laying within the bed was a broken and beaten Captain Dash. Stripped of her armor, within bandages and connected to tubes ... it was a sight Rarity never expected to see. The pegasus was unresponsive, but alive.

Rarity closed her eyes and slowly exhaled. She raised her head, trying to smile as she strode up to the side of the bed. She then looked down at Captain Dash gently. "Dash ... are you sleeping well? You were on the verge of death darling." The pegasus was of course unresponsive, which caused Rarity's gentle gaze to twitch impassively. Yet as she spoke, her words didn't quite match the kind demeanor she portrayed. "Was this your plan Dash, to leave me all alone to deal with this mess? To run off like the rabid dog you are and get yourself into this condition? To leave me with no answers as to what exactly happened out there?" She ran a hoof gently over Captain Dash's mohawk mane. "Unacceptable darling. I'm going to need you, understand? So wake up."

The light's in the room began to flick ever so absently, as the shadows which lurked grew darker.

Both the nurse and nightmare guard noticed this, but didn't know what to make of it.

Lady Rarity's grip on Captain Dash's mane tightened as she eyed Dash desperately, smiling. "Wake up." She even started to tremble, though whether it was from rage or sadness was uncertain. She overlooked Dash's condition again, her eyes widening at the spot of red upon the mare's chest, indicating the large puncture wound she'd received. And even if for only a second, there was a look of self doubt on Rarity's features. But she pushed it down, buried it near instantaneously. She straightened her posture and regained her composure. She eyed Dash in silence then, before sighing and just making her way over towards the window. "It seems, my pleads fall on deaf ears." Lady Rarity's eyes closed halfway as she gazed out down towards Ponyville.

The lights within the room became steady again as the shadows dimmed.

The guard seemed hesitant to speak, but looked worriedly towards Lady Rarity. "M-My Lady?"

Lady Rarity just continued to stand there, feeling peace from the sight of Ponyville. With its extravagant streets, neatly kept borders and sign of common wealth. It was a small town, but obviously vibrant and neatly tended to due to Nightmare Moon's influence, as the Princess' primary castle lurked not far from the town, within the Everfree Forest. She raised her head some, eyeing the skies. "Captain Dash was reckless, but confident. Always so certain of herself. Despite our disagreements, she will be sorely missed." Rarity glanced back passively at the nurse. "Ensure she is taken care of properly and tended to. I will be checking in on her from time to time."

The nurse immediately bowed her head, closing her eyes. "Yes Lady Rarity. Her care is in my hooves."

Lady Rarity kept her gaze lingering for a few seconds before uttering. "Thank you dear." With this she turned with stride, and raised a hoof to her bangs, pushing them back behind her ear some. She made her way out of the room, turning down the hall to her left as the guards standing post outside the door saluted her while she departed. The halls on this floor were darkened, and the unicorn appeared quite serious, her expression unreadable. She just continued to trot towards a staircase attached to an open lobby on this floor.

It was completely silent as her trots echoed down the halls, leaving this floor feeling completely deserted.

"Glad to see you're doing just fine ... Rarity."

Rarity's eyes widened slightly as she paused, then turned her gaze to her left casually. "Hm?"

Sitting within a vacant seat was Lieutenant Dust, also wrapped in bandages and holding a cane. "Heya."

Rarity's surprise became more apparent. "Lieutenant Dust. You-"

Lieutenant Dust raised a hoof, interjecting as her eyes gave hint to a cold callousness she had for the mare. Yet she smiled in a sinister manner. "Surprised to see me? After all the crap you pulled I wouldn't be surprised."

Lady Rarity squinted at her. "I've no idea what you're talking about. Better yet, I'd like to know why you didn't immediately report to me if you were still around. I assumed the worst of Captain Dash's squad when only she'd arrived here at the hospital in such condition. What're you doing lurking around in an absent manner?"

Lieutenant Dust smirked. "Tit for tat Rarity. First, maybe you can explain your actions."

Lady Rarity's patience was wearing thin. "What actions? You are being awfully pushy, for one of your status."

Lieutenant Dust continued. "We were sacked up there. Not only by rebels but our own team. Tantabus abandoned his duties and went on a rampage throughout the city. Then we ended up getting hit by the Princess' spell." She squinted at Rarity in further suspicion. "A spell I know you know how to activate."

Lady Rarity only inquired on one piece of information. "What do you mean Tantabus abandoned his duties?"

Lieutenant Dust's eyes widened, as she lowered her head some. "Ah ... so you didn't know?"

Lady Rarity was silent, and wore no expression as she continued to eye the pegasus.

Lieutenant Dust continued with a snicker. "He did, then went on attacking everypony in sight. Even us."

Lady Rarity immediately delved for more information. "And what became of him then?"

Lieutenant Dust looked to her confidently, squinting again. "I took care of him."

Lady Rarity's eyes snapped wide, as she uttered out almost in offense. "You expect me to believe such nonsense. You took care of Tantabus?" She scoffed, closing her eyes. "Highly doubtful. Not only that, but your suspicions in regards to my actions taken are of no concern to you. Should the Princess deem it necessary to place the city within a submerged dream spell, then it shall be done. You have no right or place to question her authority." She looked back to the pegasus, "And based on what I'm hearing. It sounds as if you'd all lost control of the city anyhow. First to these rebels, then to Tantabus. Which can only mean a few things." She huffed.

Lieutenant Dust cocked a brow at the unicorn.

Lady Rarity continued again. "That I am trotting on a thin line of hope in regards to the recovery of Moondancer, Princess Celestia's prime student. As well as any traces of the alicorn. Is that correct?"

Lieutenant Dust showed signs of irritation. "Moondancer? What? What's she have to do with what I said?"

Lady Rarity ignored the pegasus and kept speaking. "Not to mention ... Tantabus, a key part in conducting the dream sweeps, by your veiled perspective, was taken care of for his betrayal?" She turned a passive enraged gaze upon Lieutenant Dust. "Which leads me to believe, that not only do you understand little to nothing of what that foal is capable of, that you simply let him escape. Meaning, I must now focus on three thorns."

A shiver ran down Lieutenant Dust's spine as she still kept her composure however. She glared at Rarity right back, snarling slightly at her. "I told you I took care of him! His smaller state can't withstand our cuff technology. And who cares about Moondancer, or the alicorn? You're still here ain't ya? Which means obviously the alicorn hasn't made a move yet! You're over here worrying about nothing!" She snapped, "So pony up and-"

But the room immediately grew dark, shrouded in utter black shadow. Spikes of pure black fastened themselves all around Lieutenant Dust, halting inches before her face and the rest of her body.

A sweat drop ran down the side of Lieutenant Dust's head as she'd fallen silent.

Rarity's pupils were dilated as her entire form was shrouded in black. Her eyes running on the verge of psychotic, as she uttered in as calm a manner as she could. The whites and colors of her eyes being currently her only visible feature. "I have given up too much, to have some pegasus act as if she undermines my authority. I have kept the Princess stable for so long, given up dreams to help keep this establishment afloat. And you dare have the gall to make such calls? Tantabus ... Princess Celestia's Student ... The Alicorn. They are all out there, and none of them can be ignored. Yet from what I am hearing, that is exactly what has ended up happening. Which leads me to ask, what was accomplished in Canterlot? What happened to Captain Dash?"

Playing it safe, Lieutenant Dust answered calmly. "No idea ... what happened to Dash."

Lady Rarity kept that same gaze upon Lieutenant Dust. "The Alicorn? Princess Celestia's student?"

Lieutenant Dust squinted at the mare again, "No idea what happened to them either."

Lady Rarity uttered, "So ... nothing then."

There was an obvious tension for Dust, who still had the spikes aimed towards her.

Almost immediately, the shadows shattered and dissipated into the air, pulling back in whatever light was there previously. Lady Rarity wheezed, as she raised a hoof to her head and looked to Lieutenant Dust tiredly. She showed a hint of regret for her lack of keeping her composure, and as a result, turned away from the pegasus and made way for the stairs again. "Fine ... this ... this is all fine. It matters not. I will take care of it. I'll keep things under control." She seemed to be muttering to herself, before she reached the steps and glanced back at Lieutenant Dust. "Report to Cloudsdale, make your recovery there Lieutenant Dust." Her eyes widened again, "I don't want to see you for some time." She began making her way down the steps wearily and sluggishly.

Lieutenant Dust fell back into her chair, holding a hoof to her chest in relief, she exhaled slowly.

Lady Rarity continued muttering to herself down the steps. "Control ... control, keep it all under control."


Meanwhile, within a large vacant barn house, also veiled in shadow, there sat a familiar earth pony. Particularly, Captain Jack as she had her rear hooves crossed over one another, as well as her forehooves. She sat within a ruggedy wooden chair. Her hair was unkempt, her armor discarded, as she kept a serious gaze upon something on the far end of the barn house. Her gaze was wholly serious, focus, concentrated as if she were just waiting. Her green eyes shone in the darkness, obvious features despite how low visibility was inside.

Laying upon a stack of multiple sheets, halfway covered in a blanket as well as sweating profusely was Twilight Sparkle. She seemed to be highly agitated, with quiet musings escaping her. She had to control her breathing.

Captain Jack kept watch, sternly. She would wait patiently, as long as she needed to.

PreviousChapters Next