• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 10,051 Views, 355 Comments

Lightning Strikes - Kail



An abandoned changeling and a lonely filly. Can they help each other?

  • ...
25
 355
 10,051

Welcome to Ponyville

“So, where are we gonna live? Can you do more stuff then change how you look? Do you eat regular stuff, or just emotions? Oh! Can you come meet my friends later? I bet they’ll think you’re awesome!”

Lightning grinned as she listened to Scootaloo rattle off questions a mile a minute. The filly was coasting alongside her on a scooter. Lightning thought it odd that Scootaloo wasn’t zipping through the air in her obvious excitement.

“Scoots, why do you have that scooter?"

Scootaloo blinked and then stared ahead as she thought of how to answer. After a few seconds of silence, the little filly responded in a sad tone, “Well... I can’t exactly fly.”

Lightning's eyebrows rose in confusion and surprise at this. “You can’t?” she asked, turning her head to face her little pony.

Scootaloo shook her head “No, that’s why I’ve got the scooter.” Scootaloo cracked a smile as she spoke. “I can get around pretty good, flapping my wings on this though.”

To make her point, Scootaloo sped ahead of her mom and weaved around a few trees. Even hopping up with her scooter and doing a three sixty as she came back alongside Lightning. “See? Not to brag, but I’m pretty awesome on this baby.” She patted her scooter with a sense of pride at her ability.

Lightning smiled “Yes, you are good, but I’m still going to have to teach you to fly.”

Scootaloo sputtered and nearly tipped her scooter while turning to look at the mare beside her “You’ll teach me?”

Lightning chuckled. “Well, why not silly filly? You are my daughter, and I bet you’d like to show how awesome you are at flying. Once you learn.”

Scootaloo nodded her head vigorously. “Hay yeah I’d love to fly! Then I could show Rainbow Dash!”

Lightning creased her brow in thought. Rainbow Dash? Why does that name sound familiar? “Scootaloo, who’s Rainbow Dash?” The filly beside her spoke with the same enthusiasm as she did a moment ago.

“She’s only the fastest and coolest pony in Equestria! She’s the only pegasus to do a sonic rainboom and she’s the element of loyalty. She’s so awesome!”

Lightning's eyes went wide as she remembered how she knew the pegasus Scootaloo was talking about with reverence. “Scoots..... does this pegasus have a rainbow mane and was she at the wedding when we invaded?”

The amethyst eyed filly eyed Lightning curiously. “Well yeah. She was a bride's mare. Why?"

Lightning chuckled nervously. “Because, I was kinda the one that fought her and her friends when they tried to stop us. And I may have sorta punched her in the face.”

Scootaloo stopped short. “Wha huh? You mean you’re the one that did that?”

Lightning rose a brow at the filly. “You know about it?”

Scootaloo nodded with her eyes wide. “Yeah, Rainbow was pretty ticked when she told me about it. Said she wanted to get a few hits on the changeling that decked her.”

Lightning sighed. “One more question. Rainbow Dash, she lives in Ponyville? As in, the place we’re going to right now?”

Scootaloo nodded. “Yeah, but what’s so..... oh. Yeah, I can see how that’s a problem.”

Lightning sighed. “Yes it is, so I think we need to get out stories straight.”

Scootaloo tilted her head. “Stories?”

Lightning rose a hoof as she started to explain. “Yes. Think about it. Won’t it be suspicious if I just show up and we tell different reasons for why I’ve not been around?”

Scootaloo tapped her chin with a hoof, then spoke excitedly. “You can do everything a regular pegasus can do right?”

Lightning nodded. “Of course. When I take a shape, I can do whatever that creature can. Why?”

Scootaloo grinned. “Then all we gotta do is say you were a weather manager and got transferred someplace far off but now you’re back. It’s perfect!”

Lightning thought about that. It was a fairly simple idea, but it could work. Simple is the best right? This kid is pretty impressive. Lightning smiled and ruffled Scootaloo’s mane “Pretty smart kiddo. Now let’s get into town and find a place to call home.” Scootaloo smiled at the praise, then continued rolling next to her mother as they headed towards Ponyville once again.

===========================================================

Once the pair reached the town square, stopping every now and then to answer the question of who Lightning was, Scootaloo quizzed Lightning. “Ok, you remember who my friends are?”

Lightning nodded. “Apple Bloom, earth pony. Lives on Sweet Apple Acres with her sister, Applejack, brother, Big Macintosh and her granny, Granny Smith.”

Scootaloo nodded. “And my other friend?”

Lightning grinned. “Sweetie Belle, unicorn. Has a sister named Rarity, a dress designer.”

Scootaloo grinned as well, happy with how well her ‘mother’ had memorized things. They’d spent the rest of the trip to Ponyville going over who were the ponies that Lightning needed to know, and who she could just meet on her own.

Now it was Lightning’s turn to give a Q&A to her daughter. “OK, Scoots, tell me why I’ve been away, and where I was.”

Scootaloo smiled confidently. “You were the weather manager for New Yorkshire and were assigned to the surrounding area. But now you got transferred to Ponyville to help out with the weather management for this area.”

Lightning chuckled. “Good job, Scoots, I think we’ve....”

Lightning would have said more, but out of seemingly nowhere, a bright pink pony was standing in front of her. The pony had sky blue eyes and a mane that looked like cotton candy, but what Lightning noticed first was the huge smile the pink mare wore on her face.

“Hi! I’m Pinkie Pie! What’s your name? Are you new here, cuz I’ve never seen you before, and I know everypony! Oh, if you’re new that means you don’t have any friends yet right? But don’t worry, we’ll make you lots of friends and ya know how?”

Lightning could only stare at the bubbly mare in front of her. Completely off guard at the torrent of speech directed at her, she didn’t even have a second to think of a response before Pinkie leapt onto her hind legs throwing confetti into the air and shouted with glee.

“A PARTY! But first what’s your name? Mine's Pinkie but oops, I already told you that. I forget stuff sometimes. Like this one time at band camp I forgot where my flute was. Turned out it was.... ”

Scootaloo, being used to how Pinkie was, stepped forward and tapped the pink party pony's leg. “Pinkie, this is my mom Lightning. She just got here from working in New Yorkshire.”

Pinkie stopped mid sentence, turning to the filly with a smile that never seemed to leave her face. “Hey there Scootaloo. Oh, she’s your mom?”

Scootaloo nodded. “Yep, she just got here today.” The little pegasus turned to Lightning while pointing to Pinkie. “Mom, this is Pinkie Pie. She’s Ponyville's number one party animal and a friend of mine.”

Lightning finally composed herself and smiled while offering a hoof to Pinkie. “Hello Pinkie. My little Scoots told me about you and Ponyville in her letters. I’m happy to meet you.”

Pinkie grasped the offered hoof and shook vigorously. “And I’m really super duper happy to finally meet you Lightning! I wondered why I never saw you before, but you were in New Yorkshire. Oops you already know that cuz, well, you were there!” The party pony kept smiling until a confused look plastered itself on her face. “But if you were all the way in the NY, then where was Scootaloo staying?”

Scootaloo tensed and began to worry as Pinkie asked this. Oh no, I didn’t even think of that! What should I say? Will she believe it? Oh man!

Luckily, Lightning was quick on the draw and lightly chuckled. “Well Scoots is pretty responsible, so I sent her money to stay in an apartment while I was away.”

Pinkie nodded with her usual smile firmly in place. “Oh yeah, that makes sense! But that means you’re looking for a new house right? One big enough for the both of you?”

Lightning nodded and sighed, feigning frustration. “Yes and I’ve looked all day. Do you know anywhere good?”

Pinkie smiled wider and pointed down a road leading off to the left. “Just go down Hay Bale Lane and look for the house on the corner of Stirrup Street and Bridle Avenue. Ya can’t miss it.”

Lightning grinned. “Thank you, Pinkie. By the way, are you still doing that party you mentioned earlier?”

Pinkie gasped and spun back around to face Lightning “Oh gosh I almost forgot! But now we can make it a 'Welcome to Ponyville, welcome to your new home and welcome back Scootaloo's mom' party! I gotta go get everything ready. See ya later!”

With that, the bubbly pink mare sped off at speeds faster than should be possible, leaving a pink contrail as she went. Lightning shook her head in amazement. “How did she...”

Scootaloo just giggled and waved the question off with a hoof. “With Pinkie it’s easier to just not think about how she does anything.”

Lightning nodded and began walking in the direction Pinkie pointed to. “Either way at least that’s one problem solved. We know where to go for a house.”

Scootaloo rolled beside the rose coated mare. “Yeah, but what about bits? I don’t have much.”

Lightning smirked like she had a secret. “You just leave that to me kiddo.”

===========================================================

As the pair neared the house Pinkie had told them about, they could see a sign taped to the door stating it was for sale. The house itself, was like the other houses in Ponyville. The only noticeable difference was that the design made it look like a Manehatten two story home.

Standing just outside the house was a pony Scootaloo recognized. “Hey, that’s my teacher, Miss Cheerilee. Is this her house?”

Lightning’s smirk grew a bit as she continued walking. “Your teacher? Then this just got a whole lot easier.” Scootaloo shot her mother a curious look, but said nothing as they got close enough for Cheerilee to notice them.

The maroon colored mare turned to the approaching pair with a friendly smile. “Hello Scootaloo. Pinkie ran into me and told me you and your mother were looking to buy a house.”

Scootaloo nodded. “Yeah. Mom just got transferred, and since she’s gonna work here full time we needed a new place.”

Cheerilee turned to Lightning. “So you’re Scootaloo's mother? I’m Cheerilee, the town's school teacher.”

Lightning smiled. “Nice to meet you Miss Cheerilee. I’m Lightning. You’re the owner of this house I take it?”

The green eyed educator nodded. “Yes, and I’ve been meaning to get a home closer to the school house. Sadly, everypony’s already got a home here in our town. That’s why I’m so glad Pinkie told me someone was interested in buying it.”

Lightning nodded and then sighed. “Yes, it looks like a nice home, but I’m afraid my bits haven’t been transferred to the Ponyville bank yet. Would you allow me to pay you when the paperwork is done? I’d really appreciate it.”

Cheerilee waved a hoof as if dismissing the concern. “Oh no trouble. I’m only asking five hundred bits. I’ve already moved my things into my new home anyway. Just pay when you can.”

Lightning smiled gratefully. “Thank you so much Miss Cheerilee. I really owe you one.”

Again, Cheerilee waved a hoof at the issue. “Just lending a helping hoof is all. Goodbye, and Scootaloo, remember to study for that test on Friday.”

Scootaloo nodded happily. “Sure thing, Miss Cheerilee! Later!”

With that the maroon coated teacher trotted away, leaving the keys to the mother and daughters new home.

Lightning went up to the door and unlocked it. “Let’s take a look around, and then head to that party. You know where Pinkie has them, right?”

Her filly nodded. “Yep. They’re usually at Sugarcube Corner.” Lightning nodded and the pair headed inside to take stock of their new living arrangements.

===========================================================

After Lightning had taken a look at their new home, they headed toward Sugarcube Corner, with Scootaloo leading the way. When they’d arrived, the whole place was filled with ponies. Pinkie dragged them inside and made introductions to just about every pony present. Then, with a cheer of “Let’s get this party started!” music erupted from the speakers in the room and everypony proceeded to party.

At one point in the party, the other ponies Lightning knew as the elements of harmony approached to talk to her. The first was the one she’d been a bit anxious to meet. Namely Rainbow Dash. The cyan mare hovered over to Lightning with a friendly grin.

“So I hear you’re the squirts mom huh?” Lightning nodded while the spectrum maned pony continued. “Well, I just wanted to say welcome to Ponyville, and if ya need a weather job or anything I can give ya a shift on my squad if you want.”

Lightnings eyes widened. “You’d do that? For me?”

Rainbow nodded with the same grin she’d been wearing. “Course I would. I’d never leave someone hangin’. Especially someone new that needed a helping hoof.”

Lightning was stunned. Not even a day in Ponyville, and the residents had been more then helpful to her. A stranger. Living all her life under the rule of Chrysalis there had been a standard code of eat or be eaten. If you couldn’t fend for yourself, you were considered weak and expendable. But here it seemed that everyone was more than willing to help someone in need.

Lightning smiled “I’d like that. When can I start?”

Rainbow put a hoof to her chin and thought. “Well, it’s almost time for a storm, so show up above Ponyville tomorrow, and I’ll get ya to work on gathering all the clouds we need.”

Lightning nodded, still smiling. “Consider it done.”

Rainbow gave a nod and a wave before hovering over to the dance floor with a few other ponies she must have known.

The rest of the party went much the same with several ponies welcoming her. A butter yellow pegasus with a flowing pink mane approached and smiled shyly at Lightning.

“H-hello, I’m Fluttershy. I just wanted to welcome you and offer to foal sit Scootaloo whenever you need it. If that's alright that is.”

Lightning remembered Scootaloo mentioning Fluttershy and smiled. “Yes, Scootaloo told me about how she and her friends are usually watched by you. If I ever need a foal sitter, I’ll come to you first. Thank you.”

Fluttershy smiled and giggled. “Oh no problem at all. I’m happy to watch the little angels. Enjoy the party.”

Lightning smiled as she sat down at a table and ate a cupcake. This is going a lot better than I’d thought it would. I shouldn’t have to worry about anything.

At that point, Scootaloo came running over with another filly that Lightning figured was one of the other members of the Cutie Mark Crusaders she’d been told about. “Hey mom, is it ok if Sweetie Belle comes over to hang out and see the new house?”

Lightning thought about refusing, but the look of innocent joy on the little filly's face was too much. “I suppose it’s ok. But you’ve still got to study for that test Miss Cheerilee mentioned, and get to bed on time.” The fillies awed and Scootaloo spoke up.

“Come on mom can’t you let me slide this once?”

Sweetie Belle picked up where Scootaloo left off. “Yeah, it’d be a great way to celebrate Scootaloo's new house.”

Lightning gave each of them a stern look as Scootaloo chimed in. “Pleeeease mom? I promise we’ll be ready for school tomorrow.”

Lightning kept her stern gaze for a bit longer before giving a small smile. “OK, but only if Rarity says it’s OK.”

The fillies leapt up and high hoofed before going off to get the OK from Rarity. Lightning chuckled and leaned back in her seat. I should be more firm with her, but I'm in a good mood. Things were looking up, that was for sure.