• Published 3rd Jun 2012
  • 2,892 Views, 172 Comments

Catherine: Love is Over? - _No_One_Remains_



A crossover of MLP and Catherine, starring Big Mac and several others as they climb to freedom.

  • ...
3
 172
 2,892

The Most Confusing Turn of Events in the World

Day 5, Shining Armor’s Chambers- 8:37am

“You have a big day ahead of you. It’s time to wake up, Armor.”

Armor squirmed as he heard the mysterious voice call to him. He opened his eyes hesitantly, expecting to find himself still in the nightmare. He’d never heard the voice speak to him outside of them, so he didn’t know what to expect.

“Thank goodness you’re awake! You were out when we arrived, so I decided to just let you sleep.” A kind, gentle voice drew Armor’s attention away from his thoughts. Looking to his side he saw, standing at the edge of the bed, Princess Cadence and her loving smile.

What? But…but we were together last night, right? Wait…is this my room?! But we were in her room last night! I helped her unpack! This…this isn’t happening… Did I just imagine all that? But that’s impossible! It’s crazy! But…

Cadence giggled, “You seem tense, Armor. Is something wrong?”

“Wh-what? Oh, no-nothing… I’m just a little…out of it…is all.” Armor managed to choke out through his confusion.

Suddenly, his heart leaped to his throat as he felt something stir beside him under the covers of the bed. In his mind, he was already screwed. He knew exactly who it was, and he couldn’t begin to understand why she was there.

Tossing the covers back, Catherine popped her head out from under them and yawned, “What’s with all the noise, it’s too early to get up…?” She rubbed her eyes with her hooves as both of the other ponies fell dead silent.

Okay Armor, this is bad! What the hell do I do now? I can’t just play this off as some mistake! How the hell did we end up here, anyway? Oh man, this is not good! There’s no telling how Cadence is going to handle this… And what will Catherine think? She has no idea I have a marefriend… Oh Celestia, this is horrible!

“Armor…Who is this mare?” Cadence bowed her head. Her tone was steady and light, but Armor could hear the sadness tucked away within it.

Armor stuttered for a few seconds, trying to find the right words to use. Catherine cut him off and cheered, “I’m Catherine, and you must be Princess Cadence! It’s nice to finally meet you!”

Both of the ponies stared at her with confused expressions. Cadence scoffed, “What are you talking about? ‘Nice to meet you’?”

Catherine giggled, “I’ve read all about you in Armor’s journals! He really loves you, you know. And I can kinda see why…” She examined the alicorn in front of her top to bottom with her eyes, placing a hoof to her muzzle.

Armor stuttered, “Wh-what are you talking about? Is this some kind of game to you?” He looked over to Cadence to see tears swelling in her eyes.

The pink pony giggled again, “Well, I’m always up for trying new things. I’d be more than happy to share him with you.” Cadence’s jaw dropped in disbelief that the mare would say something like that.

She screamed, “Share him? He’s my coltfriend, why would I share him?! Well…he was my coltfriend, but I guess that doesn’t matter anymore, huh?” She took a few steps back toward the door.

Okay Armor, get a grip. You have to do something. Just try to explain everything to her, and get Catherine out of here! She may not forgive you, but you should at least be honest! …On the other hoof, there’s a good chance she’ll just leave you anyway, so why not stick with Catherine in the end? Dammit, no! I can’t think like that! I have to stop this, now!

“Wait!” he screamed as Cadence walked closer to the door. “This is all one huge misunderstanding! Just let me explain everything, please!”

The alicorn turned back toward him and gave him a very angry glare. She scoffed, “There’s nothing to explain, Armor. I’m gone for three days and you cheat on me with some floozy.”

Catherine butted in at the insult, “There’s nothing wrong with having a little fun, Princess. Then again, you do seem like the stuck-up noble type, so I guess fun isn’t something you’re capable of, eh?” She closed her eyes and stuck out her tongue as a sign of provocation.

“What did you say?! Being a princess has nothing to do with being able to have fun! Are you trying to start a fight?!” Cadence stomped her hoof and took a few steps toward the bed.

Dammit Armor, do something to stop this! There’s no way this will end well if you let it keep going!

Armor rolled from the bed and approached Cadence. He asked, “Would you please let me explain?”

Cadence shook her head and turned back toward the door. She scoffed, “I’m done with this stupid fighting. Tell you what, Armor, why don’t you just enjoy your little floozy while you have her? You don’t have to worry about me messing it up for you.” She shoved open the doors and stomped through.

“Cadence, wait!” the stallion pointlessly called after her.

Catherine waited for a few seconds before asking, “So does this mean we’re not having a three-way?”

Something in the back of Armor’s mind snapped. He turned toward the pink mare and screamed, “This is all your damn fault! Why the fuck are you still here, and how the hell did you even get in here?!”

Catherine sighed, “You invited me, remember? And I don’t think I like your tone of voice.”

The stallion didn’t hesitate to continue, “I know for a fact I didn’t invite you! The last thing I remember is leaving the Stray Stallion and heading back here to go to sleep! You weren’t in any of that!” He was, of course, lying. He remember sleeping with Cadence, as a matter of fact, but he refused to let his probable insanity come to light.

The pink mare, with a sly smirk, asked, “Are you sure you didn’t sleep with Cadence last night, Armor?”

Armor’s rage vanished in an instant. He sighed, “H-how…do you know that?”

Catherine giggled, “Because, Armor, you’re just that gullible. You kept calling me Cadence last night. I guess you were just drunk or something.”

The stallion was at a loss for words. He managed to find a single question to end the silence. He asked, “So…you slept with me…even though you knew I had a marefriend?”

The mare replied in a cheery voice, “Yep! I don’t really care for relationships that much, so I’m more than happy to share my man. Other mares don’t seem so open-minded though…”

Armor was on the verge of snapping again. He instead sighed, “Because of you, Cadence left me… She’s the only mare I care for in this damn town, and she left me…”

Catherine scoffed, “Don’t blame me because you cheated. You should’ve just told me to back off and leave you alone. Well, look on the bright side.”

“What bright side?”

“Now that you two aren’t together, you don’t have to worry about your nightmares any…more…” Catherine quickly slapped a hoof to her muzzle, realizing she may have said way too much.

Armor perked up at her words. He screamed, “What the hell do you know about our nightmares?! Do you have something to do with them?!” He firmly grasped Catherine’s shoulders, staring right into her eyes. He wanted answers.

Catherine gasped, “Th-that hurts, Armor! Stop!”

Armor didn’t loosen his grip. He asked again, “What do you know about the nightmares?”

“I don’t know anything more than why you’re having them! I don’t know what they’re about or what happens in them!”

Armor released his grip. He sighed, “You know why we’re having them…Well so do we! That doesn’t help at all!” Something dawned on him in an instant. “So tell me…you said you helped Boss stock his shelves the other night, and that’s how you knew each other. But you two seem too friendly for that to be the case. How do you two really know each other?”

Catherine thought about the question for a minute or two before saying, “Even if I told you, you wouldn’t believe me. If you want answers, you’ll have to ask Boss. He’s the only guy that has them.”

Armor turned to ask another question, but decided against it. He remembered that the voice had told him to talk to Boss. He instead waved a hoof at the door and commanded, “Get out of here. Now.”

Catherine, losing her cheery demeanor, immediately leaped from the bed and grabbed her dress from the floor before darting from the room. Armor was left to ponder his own thoughts.

So Cadence left me. I just scared the fuck out of Catherine. This is great…just great. I have to figure out some way to get Cadence back before she’s gone forever. I just hope Catherine gets the message and leaves me the hell alone… But what if Cadence doesn’t take me back? Should I have Catherine waiting to…? No! Who the fuck am I kidding? If I keep thinking like this, maybe I don’t deserve Cadence back…

“Come now, Armor, remember what I told you? You have to keep fighting for what you want. Besides, you haven’t reached the Cathedral yet, so anything is possible.”

Great, now you’re talking to me outside of the nightmares? Am I going insane, or are you a real thing?

“If I have to answer, I’d say both. This whole ordeal with Catherine is definitely taking its toll on your mind, right? Well, just be sure to tell Boss Astaroth sent you. You’ll get all your answers when you do.”

Armor shook his head and pulled himself away from his thoughts. He started toward the door to his room. He decided he would go to the barracks and talk to everypony to see how they were holding up…


Night 5, Stray Stallion- 7:53pm

“Cut the crap, Boss!”

Armor’s hoof hit the counter with as much force as it could. The bottles on the shelves behind him shook violently. The other eight stallions around him were trying their best to hold him back to avoid physical conflict.

“I assure you I have no idea what you mean, Mr. Armor.”

Boss lifted his front hooves high in the air as a sign of innocence and confusion. He placed the bottle of whisky in his hoof onto the shelf behind him so as to avoid spilling it. He adjusted his shades and backed slowly up to the shelf, trying to find a way to get away from the angry guard captain.

Aside from the group of stallions and Octavia, the bar had cleared out long before, at about the same time the conflict between Armor and Boss started.

“Don’t play games with me! The voice told me it was you!” Armor waved a hoof angrily at the old stallion behind the counter.

Boss shook his head once more and sighed, “I do not know what you are referring to. What voice is it you are hearing?”

Brawny placed a hoof firmly on Armor’s shoulder and yanked him away from the counter by force. He groaned, “C’mon man, you’re making a fool of yourself.”

Armor jerked out of his friend’s grip and screamed, “That damn voice that talks to us in our nightmares told me this guy was responsible for everything! Astaroth sent me to talk to you!” Boss’s eyes lit up at the name.

Boss laughed, “Astaroth, you say? Well why didn’t you tell me sooner? I would be more than happy to answer any questions Astaroth has sent you with.” His eyes shined a bright crimson color.

The eight stallions standing around Armor jerked back at the sight of the crimson glow. Rough coughed, “What the hell’s going on here, man?”

Octavia gasped, “What’s going on, Boss?”

Armor slapped a hoof to the table and chuckled, “That voice of ours wants you to spill the beans, Boss.”

The old stallion clapped his hooves together and gave a sly smirk. He said, “You’ve done more than I could ever imagine, Armor. When I first came to this world, I never expected ponies to be able to beat my towers. But here you are, on your way to the Quadrangle, and you’ve already amassed a group of followers.” He paused here to allow the ponies to calm down.

Mr. Rich asked, “What do you mean by ‘when I first came to this world’? Are you saying you aren’t from Equestria?”

Armor scoffed, “Of course he isn’t. Neither is Catherine, if my guess is right.”

The stallions all sent him confused glares. Boss laughed, “No, I am not from Equestria, as you all are. In fact, I’m not even really a pony. And Catherine is the same. To explain my whole story to you would take more time than we have, I fear. Ask your questions, Armor, and I will answer.” He placed his hooves on the counter and took a deep breath, readying himself for the barrage of questions.

The ponies in the room all exchanged looks of uncertainty before nodding at Armor. The guard captain asked his first question, “The voice mentioned two people by the names of Thomas and Vincent. He called the ‘men of legend’. Who are they?” The other nine ponies were in the dark as to where the names came from.

Boss cleared his throat before beginning. “I would have hoped your first question would be less confusing to answer. I will explain as best as I can. A few months ago, back when I was in my other world, I played this game with the residents of that world. I judged the men that needed to be judged, and sent them to face their nightmares, just as I have you. Except that time, a man named Vincent came out on top, and bested me at my own game. He received his wish of True Freedom, and was able to restore his relationship with his long-time lover after having an affair with Catherine.”

The stallions’ ears perked up at the mention of Catherine’s name. Boss continued, “A few centuries before that, another man besides myself controlled the nightmares. After cheating on my wife, I was judged and sent to the nightmares to play his game. I challenged him and won. My wish was for immortality, and so Astaroth took me on as his new game-maker. I was the one who judged Vincent and lost. I am the one judging you.”

Armor spoke up, “So you beat your nightmare and made your wish. You started making the nightmares, and Vincent beat you. Now you’re here to judge us. Right?”

Boss cleared his throat and adjusted his shades before continuing, “Correct. For centuries I have judged man’s sins, and have always come out on top. But Vincent was determined enough to not lose. A man of legend is one with the potential to climb all the way to the top of the tower, past the Cathedral, and have his one true wish granted. There is a difference between the True Freedom granted at the Cathedral and the true wish granted at the Empireo.”

Fancypants scoffed, “So there are nine floors, for those dumb enough to want another night of torture?”

Brawny laughed, “I’d rather just end it as soon as possible. Why can’t we climb more than one floor a night?”

Rain jabbed his friend hard in the side and groaned, “Are you a dumbass?! Don’t give the bastard more ideas!”

Boss sighed, “In case you have yet to figure it out, my name isn’t really Boss. No, my name is Thomas Mutton, the name I lived with before becoming the God of these nightmares. I assumed the name Boss to remain inconspicuous while I worked at the Stray Sheep to judge men. Just as Vincent before you, you have been able to lead these stallions to survival night after night, Armor. Although none of you may think it, you owe Armor for more than just his actions in the Torture Chamber. His ability to climb has carried you all farther than you think.”

Rough sighed, “No shit, captain obvious. This guy’s given us something to strive for: being better than his sorry ass.”

Brawny and Rain busted into laughter. Big Mac chimed it, “Ain’t no way we can repay the favor, but we gotta at least keep climbin’ so them risks he keeps takin’ ain’t for nothin’.”

Doctor sighed, “Maybe we all do deserve to be in there, but that doesn’t mean we’re going to stay!”

Armor laughed, “So you say I’m carrying them, eh? I’ll believe it when there’s proof. Look Boss…or Thomas…or whatever the hell your name is…these nightmares have to stop. You’re not getting anything from doing this. In fact, the only things you’ve made are enemies.” He pointed a hoof directly at Boss and everypony joined him.

Boss shook his head and chuckled, “I’m afraid the nightmares won’t stop, not until you all reach the Cathedral. And even then, you can continue to fight if you want your true wish. But do you know why the Cathedral is the last floor?”

Mr. Rich scoffed, “No, but I have a feeling you’ll tell us.”

Boss groaned, “It’s because by the time you reach the Cathedral, you’ve been forced to face all of your fears and doubts. You’ll understand what you truly want more than anything by the time you reach the Cathedral. For example, Vincent Brooks cheated on his lover with Catherine for a whole week. By the time he reached the door at the top of the Cathedral, he knew that he wanted his lover more than anything else in the world. The only reason he climbed the Empireo is because his lover left him for cheating, and he wanted a second chance. That was his wish: a second chance.”

Armor laughed, “So he realized he wanted his lover more than anything, only to wake up and have her leave him? That…” he stopped laughing, “…really sucks, actually.”

Brawny took this chance to butt in, “So would you mind telling us why we’re all here? I get that Fancypants is a manipulating scumbag, Mr. Rich cheated, Armor cheated, and Big Mac and Doctor don’t plan on settling down. But what about the rest of us? What’d I do to get sent in?”

Boss smiled and sighed, “I was hoping you would ask, given the circumstance. I sent you into the nightmares because of the increasing unfaithfulness in your heart. I can see the weakness growing ever greater inside of you. You need to realize that you are either unhappy with your wife, or that you are willing to put up with the lack of freedom you have to be with her. As for Rain…” He turned to face the stallion that was determinedly fiddling with his necklace. “You know exactly why I put you in there, don’t you?”

Rain sighed, “Of course I do. I know she loves me, but I just don’t think I’m ready to marry her…”

“Lack of commitment.” Boss sighed. He turned to the stallion covered in a cloud of smoke and laughed, “I regret sending you into the nightmares, Rough. I truly do, but Astaroth ordered it. I sent you in because you are cheating yourself out of a committed relationship. You know your marefriend has no intention of settling down, but you still waste your time on her. Although it is not the woman’s time being wasted, your lack of changing your lover is still having the same effect.” He shook his head in a genuinely apologetic fashion.

Rough coughed, “Of course. That makes sense. Punish me because she won’t commit. What kind of operation is this Astaroth running, anyway?”

“A very good one, if I do say so myself.” The mysterious voice called out to the group of ponies.

Octavia gasped, “What was that?!” Her head shot back and forth through the bar, trying to find the source of the voice.

Lightning groaned, “Oh man, it’s the voice Armor was talking about… Does that mean I’m cursed, too?”

“You are an idiot, Lightning. But that fact aside, I’m proud to see you come clean so easily, Thomas. I think a special arrangement is in order for such a wondrous occasion.” It laughed maniacally.

Boss hesitantly sighed, “What kind of arrangement would that be, Astaroth?”

“It’s not every century a man figures out the key to the nightmares so quickly. Some of them don’t even find out at all. Vincent was the last one, and that was a freak accident. I think this calls for a celebration.”

Armor called, “What the hell are you talking about, Mr. Voice? What kind of celebration does your sick humor have in mind?”

“How about we end the nightmares early this century, Dumuzid? Make tonight the Cathedral for these extra-special ponies?”

Boss’s jaw dropped and his eyes shined crimson. He screamed, “I certainly will not, Astaroth! The game must be played the whole way through! There are no cheat codes in real life!”

“You understand that I can simply help them to the top anyway, so why not let them go already? We both know they’ll make it to the Cathedral anyway, so why postpone the inevitable?”

Boss’s face twisted into an expression of anger. His hoof hit the counter as he screamed, “Have you gone soft, Astaroth?! These stallions deserve no such assistance! If they deserve to be free, they will reach the Cathedral on their own hooves!”

“You are too stuck in the old ways, Dumuzid. Your towers just simply aren’t getting the job done. These stallions have too much willpower to be brought down by a few blocks. Just take them to the Cathedral and let them be free.”

“I will do no such thing! The towers I’ve constructed are perfectly fine for judging these ponies! Many have already fallen; aside from those you’ve given special treatment!” Boss’s eyes shined even brighter crimson, his shades barely containing the angry glow.

“It’s settled then. Tonight will be the Cathedral. After tonight, you will all be free.” The voice laughed maniacally.

“What?! I agree to no such nonsense!” Boss’s hoof hit the counter with enough force to crack the wood. A few bottles of liquor tumbled from the shelf behind him, but he didn’t seem to notice.

“You don’t have a choice, Dumuzid. I control the nightmares. You just make them look pretty. I think it’s time for you all to go to sleep, though.” With a light chuckle, the voice faded away. Suddenly, as if some magical aura enveloped them, everypony aside from Armor and Boss fell out on the floor of the bar, unconscious.

Armor stared in horror at the bodies on the floor. He stuttered, “Wh-what? What just…happened?” He looked over to Boss, who was in just as much shock.

The old stallion calmed himself and sighed, “It seems the master is changing the rules. Tonight will be the final tower for you all. Tonight’s climb will have more at stake than just your own life, however.”

The voice spoke, “Armor, I believe you have a mare to try and win back, don’t you?”

Armor’s eyes opened wide as he realized why the voice left him awake. “Th-thanks, Mr. Voice!” He nodded at Boss and darted from the bar. He needed to find Cadence to try and explain everything to her. Now that the nightmares would be over after tonight, this was his last chance to set things right so he could have his True Freedom.

Now that Catherine wasn’t in his way, he would surely be able to explain the situation to Cadence calmly and convincingly.

He had to try, at least…

“A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love.” --Stendhal