• Published 10th Nov 2015
  • 2,596 Views, 109 Comments

King Of The Changelings - Bluecatcinema



An anthology series revolving around the denizen's of Chrysalis' hive, and beyond.

  • ...
10
 109
 2,596

Spiritual Wounds

It was another fine day in the hive. Sleight was walking through the tower, greeting his subjects as he passed by. He looked out over the balcony, and saw Char doing push-ups.

"Feel the burn, big guy!" He called.

"Alwayzzz do!" Char replied.

As Sleight joined Chrysalis for breakfast, he saw a frown on her face.

'Not again...' He frowned.

Recently, Sleight had noticed a change in Chrysalis' demeanor. She had become steadily more listless and morose. Sleight couldn't imagine what could be causing such a mood. Unwilling to simply watch as his wife suffered in silence, he decided to simply come out and ask her.

"What's wrong, Chrys?" Sleight asked her one morning over breakfast.

"Nothing's wrong." Chrysalis insisted.

"You know, when you say nothing's wrong, it usually means something's wrong." Sleight noted.

"It's... private." Chrysalis insisted.

"Come on, you know that's not how it works." Sleight smiled. "We're married, remember? Which means we share our worries and problems. You can tell me anything."

"Well...the thing is... it's the hundredth anniversary..." Chrysalis sighed.

"Hundreth anniversary?" Sleight raised a brow. "Of what?"

"...My mother's passing." Chrysalis clarified. "It is near that time that a hundred years ago, I had last looked upon her weak, frail body, and had assumed the role of Queen." Her eyes grew misty, "Even after all these years...I still miss her."

"Oh, so that's what this is about..." Sleight sighed. "I know how hard it is to lose a parent. But my folks haven't been gone for nearly as long as your mother. And if it still hurts for me, after of little time, I can only imagine how bad it is for you, after a hundred years."

"It hurts more every year." Chrysalis sighed.

"What does?" Wizel entered the room.

"Don't pretend you don't know." Chrysalis frowned. "The anniversary of my mother's death, remember?"

"Oh, yes." Wizel nodded. "Of course. Such a dark day..."

"It was a real tragedy, wasn't it?" Sleight mused.

"'Tragedy' is an understatement." Chrysalis scowled. "Losing my mother was the absolute worse moment of my life. Nothing even came close to matching the agony of that day."

"Chrysalis..." Wizel sighed.

"Surely you can understand, Wizel." Chrysalis prodded. "After all, she was your sister. You miss her too. Wouldn't you give anything to see her one last time?"

"I won't deny Thorax will always hold a special place in my heart, but I feel like we achieved closure in her final moments." Wizel admitted. "Seeing her again in some manner or form would only cheapen those last moments we shared."

"Well, good for you." Chrysalis frowned. "But I, on the other hoof, feel like there was so much more for my mother and I to share, so much to tell her, and I'll never get to have any of that."

"Oh, Chrys." Sleight comforted her. "At least you've got me."

"That's something else I've been thinking about lately." Chrysalis mused. "Sleight, the time we've had together has been wonderful, and I know we have many great years ahead of us..."

"Oh, yeah." Sleight nodded.

"But the simple truth is that my lifespan is far longer than yours." Chrysalis pointed. "In a matter of decades, I will be forced to watch you die as well."

Sleight's face fell. He had never thought of that before...

"And after, I will have nothing but the memory of you to torment me, as the memory of my mother does." Chrysalis sighed. "I doubt my heart can take so much loss at one time."

"Aw, Chrys." Sleight frowned. "Let's try not to think of that. Think about the now."

"But that day will one day become the now." Chrysalis pointed out. "And I will have to face the stark reality of it all. Of losing you, as I do my mother..."

Sleight wasn't sure what he could say that could make his wife feel better.

At that point, Sazh walked into the room, carrying a letter.

"You got an letter from Canterlot!" He announced.

"Thanks, Sazh." Sleight declared, glad of something to take their minds off the dour conversation. He opened up the letter and read it. "Oh, looks like we're invited to another royal shindig up at Canterlot."

"Oh, I don't feel up to such a thing right now." Chrysalis sighed.

"Come on, Chrys." Sleight urged. "A little fun might take your mind off things."

"No, you can go alone." Chrysalis insisted. "Don't let my misery stop you."

"I won't go without you." Sleight insisted. "Not this time."

"You can't pass up a chance for a night out just because of me." Chrysalis declared.

"Oh, but I will." Sleight urged. "Just watch me."

"Oh... okay." Chrysalis groaned. "I'll go, if only to stop myself from feeling guilty."

"That's my girl." Sleight grinned.

Reluctantly, Chrysalis joined Sleight on the trip to Canterlot.

"Hello, you two." Dusty greeted them alongside Blueblood. "Glad you could make it."

"Glad to be here." Sleight grinned. "Right, Chrys?"

"Yes, of course..." Chrysalis sighed.

"Well, don't be too glad." Blueblood frowned. "Save some revelry for the rest of us."

"Hey, lay off, Blueboy." Sleight scowled. "Chrys is... a little down right now."

"Oh. My apologies." Blueblood said sheepishly.

"I hope you enjoy your evening." Dusty added.

"I'll try..." Chrysalis shrugged.

The two walked into the main room, where the attendants had gathered. As always, there were many influential ponies there, from rich folk to ambassadors.

"I really don't feel up to this." Chrysalis groaned. "So many ponies..."

"Remember, I'm right here." Sleight told Chrysalis.

"I know." Chrysalis nodded. "But for how long?"

"Don't say that." Sleight told her.

Suddenly, somepony else bumped into Sleight.

"Hey, watch it pal!" Sleight yelped.

"My apologies." The stallion declared. It was Senator Aspir Harlhooves. "Wait, you're..."

"You." Sleight gasped.

"Well now..." Chrysalis declared.

"So, you are the King of the Changelings I've heard so much about?" Harlhooves declared.

"And you're that senator who was telling the public not to blame Changelings for that phony crime spree." Sleight noted. "Thanks for that, by the way."

"Yes, it was good to see not everypony had turned against us." Chrysalis added.

"My pleasure, your highness." Harlhooves declared. "Truth be told, I've always had a healthy respect for your king. In fact, meeting you here in pony is something of a dream come true. If I may, your highness, you look like a vision of beauty."

Harlhooves kissed Chrysalis' hoof.

"Why, thank you." Chrysalis smiled. "It's rare that a pony recognises my beauty..."

"Well, I recognised it first." Sleight growled. "So watch it, pal."

"Oh, Sleight." Chrysalis chuckled. "You know I only have eyes for you."

"Sure I do." Sleight smiled. "Just making sure others know it too."

"Oh, you have nothing to worry about, your Kingship." Harlhooves declared. "I would never make a move on a married lady."

"...Good." Sleight grinned. "I knew I liked this guy..."

"Hob-nobbing with royalty, I see?" Grenade Gridlock suddenly joined them. "Even if the term is a little... loose."

"Hello, Grenade." Harlhooves frowned.

"Oh, great." Sleight scowled.

"I trust you know Mr. Gridlock?" Harlhooves offered, as Gridlock joined them.

"Oh, yeah." Sleight nodded. "We heard about his ideas during the phony crime spree too."

"I take it you weren't fans?" Gridlock asked.

"That's one way of putting it." Chrysalis frowned.

"I'm sorry if you felt my plans were a little extreme, but it was all for the good of Equestria." Gridlock declared. "Like I said, I don't hold any prejudice against your kind. Besides, you can't blame me for being worried. With skills like those your subjects possess, they could cause a lot of problems. I was just suggesting what to do in case of a worst-case scenario."

"Yes, and that including oppressing and demonising my children." Chrysalis scowled.

"Well, I think we can all agree we're glad it didn't come to that." Gridlock shrugged. "The truth is, I've actually got a healthy respect for you guys. You're impressive specimens. Which could cause a lot of trouble if you ever went back to your old tricks..."

"Paranoid as ever, I see." Harlhooves rolled his eyes.

"Better than being a bleeding-heart idealist like you." Gridlock scowled.

"Sometimes, idealism works." Sleight pointed out. "The way I hear it, idealism was what put the peace treaty together in the first place."

"I just hope it stays in place." Gridlock scoffed, walking away.

"I apologise for that lout." Harlhooves sighed. "Someponies just have no class..."

"No kiddin'." Sleight snorted.

"Well, it was nice meeting you." Harlhooves declared.

"And you." Chrysalis nodded.

"Have a good night." Harlhooves smiled, as he headed over to more high society ponies.

"Nice guy." Sleight grinned.

"It is good to know there are some ponies steadfastly on our side." Chrysalis nodded.

"Feeling better now?" Sleight asked.

"A little." Chrysalis admitted. "But let's face it, it won't last..."

"...I'll grab us some punch, shall I?" Sleight suggested.

As Shine was ladling punch into two cups, he overheard Shine talking to Gothic.

"...Mom was really happy to hear about how big Tempest is getting." Shine declared.

'What the-?' Sleight thought. 'Isn't Shine's mother supposed to be dead?'

"Yeah, the little guy's really growing fast." Gothic grinned. "Well, I gotta get onto the dance floor. Luna's waiting."

As Gothic headed off, Sleight made his way over to Shine, seeking to unravel the mystery.

"Shine... correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you just talking about speaking with your mother?" Sleight asked.

"I did, yes." Shine nodded.

"But I though your mother was dead." Sleight frowned.

"Oh, she is." Shine declared.

"But... but how?" Sleight asked. "Are you now doing seances or something?"

"No actually, I am not into that kind of backwoods stuff." Shine shook his head. "It's a rather long story. You know Discord right?"

"Crazy, nutty, obnoxious chaos god?" Sleight deadpanned. "Not really a fan."

"Well, he managed to convince Caboose, Daring, and my foster dad and brothers into going on this trip to find this girl he met a long time ago, I only joined so nothing bad would happen to them, and lo and behold, to make long story short, we found this floating island that once housed these 'Deities', huge mythic flying serpents. There we met these two Deities, Isis, the Serpent Deity of LIfe and Discord's past lover, and Osiris, the Serpent Deity of Death."

"And how do they fit in with being able to talk to your dead folks?" Sleight frowned.

"It's simple really." Shine insisted, "On their island, there's this place where you can speak to dearly departed."

"...Whoa, really?" Sleight gaped. "No foolin'?"

"No foolin'." Shine nodded. "It's called the Garden of Souls. There you can speak with anypony who had been dead for however long. I usually take time every few months to visit them."

"Really?" Sleight was amazed. "And where exactly can I find this floating island?"

"Well, it's not floating anymore." Shine admitted. "It's another long story, but to save you the trouble, it's now situated in the plains of southwest Equestria. It's under heavy guard and surveilance, but if you are interested, I could have the guards let you through..."

"This... this is great!" Sleight smiled. "Just yesterday, Chrysalis was wishing she could see her mother one last time! And now she can! And maybe I can see mom and dad again... oh boy, why hadn't you told me this sooner?!"

"Now hold on there, Sleight." Shine frowned. "While the island is under our protection, you should at least consult one of the Deities first. The island is their ancestral home, and they don't want any pony to just waltz in there."

"...Okay, so where can I find one of them?" Sleight urged. "Preferably 'Isis'. I have a way with ladies. I doubt a Serpent Deity would be any different."

"Unfortunately, she's currently away with Discord. Their egg just hatched, and they're busy with their little one." Shine explained.

"...Oh...how about Osiris?" Sleight asked, before frowning, "Please tell me I can at least talk to him."

"Well..." Shine hesitated. "I don't really think you want to be intruding on Osiris' privacy. He can be a little testy..."

"Please, Shine. Chrysalis really needs this." Sleight pleaded. "Can you please do me a solid and help me help her?"

Seeing the begging in Sleight's eyes, Shine couldn't help but go against his better judgement.

"Very well." Shine declared, "Since the island fell, I've offered Osiris a place within the Canterlot caves. You can easily get down there through passages not far from the castle."

"You really think this Osiris would go for it though?" Sleight smiled.

"I can't really be sure." Shine admitted. "Osiris is not a unreasonable serpent, but he can really be...intimidating. But if you plead your case just right, he might accept."

"Guess it's worth a shot..." Sleight shrugged.

Sleight quickly found Chrysalis.

"Chrys, you are not going to believe what I just heard." He smiled.

"What is it?" Chrysalis asked. "Forgive me if I don't sound so excited..."

"I was just talking to Shine, and he told me about a place where you can talk to the spirits of dead folks." Sleight declared.

"...What?" Chrysalis gaped.

"Figured that'd get your attention." Sleight grinned.

"I could really speak with my mother again?" Chrysalis asked hopefully.

"Maybe." Sleight smiled, "However, we have to see someone for permission. According to Shine, there's this Serpent Deity of Death named Osiris currently bunking in the caves beneath the catacombs. If we are convincing enough, he might let us go there."

"A Deity of Death?" Chrysalis gaped. "You really think we should be asking a favor from the likes of him?"

"Shine said he's okay." Sleight shrugged.

"Well, that stallion is usually a good judge of character..." Chrysalis mused.

"Sure he is." Sleight smiled. "Besides, you need this. We have to at least try."

"I suppose so..." Chrysalis mused. "But let's not rush things. Let's enjoy tonight, then attend to a possible reunion."

The next day, they returned to Canterlot, making a beeline to the caves.

"Well, this takes me back." Chrysalis looked around the caves. "It seems so long ago that I had imprisoned Princess Cadance in these caverns, as part of my plan to conquer Canterlot."

"Yeah, I'll bet those were good times..." Sleight said sarcastically.

"They were... at the time." Chrysalis admitted. "Though such thoughts sicken me right now. But my mother would have no doubt approved..."

"Things were different back then." Sleight shrugged. "I'll bet she'd think you're doing a great job now, though."

"I hadn't actually thought of that before." Chrysalis mused. "I hope you're right."

"Of course I am." Sleight smiled. "The hive's doing great, mostly thanks to you."

"And you, my husband." Chrysalis smiled.

"You said it, not me." Sleight grinned.

"Who goes there?!" A booming voice echoed through the cave, shaking it slightly.

"Whoa!" Sleight gulped, his legs quivering, "What was that?"

"There's something in there." Chrysalis froze. "Osiris?"

"Yes. That is my name." The voice declared, as a dark slithering shape moved through the cave.

"Mind coming out of the dark?" Sleight asked nervously. "I like to be threatened by somepony I can see."

"As you wish." The shadowy being emerged, the light revealing the form of Osiris, Serpent Deity of Death.

"By the hives of old..." Chrysalis gasped.

"When Shine mentioned a Serpent Deity... I didn't think he would be this big..." Sleight gulped.

"What is this?" Osiris demanded. "Who dares to trespass into the lair of Osiris, the Serpent Deity of Death?"

"Uh... h-hi." Sleight gulped. "Really regretting asking you to come out of the dark..."

"I've never seen such an imposing creature..." Chrysalis admitted.

"Well, now you have." Osiris sneered. "And it will be the last you see-"

"Oh, knock it off with the fancy entrance." An armored Thestral emerged from the shadows.

Instantly, Osiris's furious glance dampered.

"Sorry." Osiris apologised. "Force of habit."

"Huh?" Sleight and Chrysalis deadpanend.

"What the buck?" Sleight asked, as he then glanced at the two, before focusing on Midnight, "Who's the Thestral, and why is she down here?"

"Private Midnight Blossom." Midnight Blossom declared, "I was posted here to guard these caves to ensure no one would bother Osiris."

"Really?" Chrysalis frowned, "Do guards usually reprimand the ones they're guarding?"

"They can if the guard in question is his marefriend." Midnight declared.

"Marefriend? ...Seriously?" Sleight gaped as his eyes darted back and forth again. "How does that work? I doubt you would fit on his-"

"That is none of your business!" Osiris snarled, though there was a bit of a blush. "And Midnight, we talked about this. You can not just announce something like that to complete strangers."

"Sorry, Osiris." Midnight apologized, "I just like being with you so much."

"As do I, Midnight." Osiris sighed with a small loving smile. He then turned back to Sleight and Chrysalis. "But this still begs the question, who are you two?"

"Hey there." Sleight waved. "King Sleight and Queen Chrysalis of the Changelings. Nice to meet you."

"Sorry for barging into your home uninvited." Chrysalis declared.

"Save the apologies and state your business." Osiris growled, only to be cowed by a glare from Midnight. "...Please."

"We came here hoping to get your blessing." Sleight revealed, "Shine told us about the Garden of Souls and we wished to go there."

"Oh, so Shine sent you." Osiris murmured, "And who exactly do you intend to see there?"

"Well, I would like to see my folks, but I'm mostly asking for my wife." Sleight gestured to Chrysalis.

"Yes, I wish to speak to the soul of my mother, Queen Thorax." Chrysalis declared.

"Queen Thorax..." Osiris mused. "Died on May 23rd at 907? Personally slayed 573 ponies?"

"Wha... how did you know all that?" Chrysalis gaped.

"I'm the Deity of Death with a affinity for math." Osiris deadpanned. "It's my thing."

"Somehow, I didn't see that coming." Sleight noted.

"That's not even his oddest skill." Midnight smirked. "You'd be surprised what he can do with a needle and some string..."

"So may we have your blessing, Osiris?" Chrysalis asked.

"Well, you two do seem to be alright...but I fear seeing your mother, Queen, may be a problem." Osiris frowned.

"What do you mean?" Chrysalis asked, "Shine said you can speak with all that had left hsi world."

"Not all of them." Osiris clarified. "The Garden of Souls is a place only reserved for the souls of the good and at worst, neutral."

"Yeah, but what does mean about her mother?" Sleight frowned.

"Need I spell it out?" Osiris grunted, "Queen Thorax was not a kind soul. She was ruthless and cold in her ruling of the Changelings, and had brought about many 'unscheduled' deaths in her days. Quite a headache it was for me to sort those years out."

"Unscheduled deaths?" Sleight asked.

"It's complicated." Midnight explained, "Even for me."

"I know my mother wasn't the best Changeling." Chrysalis frowned. "But she did put the hive above everything else, and maybe she considered ponies mere food to be feasted upon, but only because she wanted to keep her children alive."

"As well-intentioned as that may had been, her soul upon her death was beyond tarnished, and therefore, upon death, she was denied entry into the Garden, and therefore cannot be summoned there." Osiris retorted. "And I think you know where the tarnished souls go..."

"Tartarus..." Chrysalis murmured.

"That was harsh." Sleight frowned.

"I know, but that is the truth." Osiris declared, "And unfortunately, Tartarus does not allow visiting hours for the living. Last time Cerebus let something through, Tirek nearly destroyed Equestria."

"I understand." Chrysalis sighed. "I should have known this wouldn't work..."

"Hold on a minute." Sleight asked, "You have power over death, right?"

"That is what my title entails, yes, what of it?" Osiris grimaced.

"Well, surely, someone as powerful as 'Death' himself could pull a few strings and make it where a damned soul could be allowed to see someone in the Garden, even for at least a few minutes, right?" Sleight suggested.

"...Yes, in your logic, I could easily drag a soul from Tartarus into the Garden of Souls for an alloted amount of time... but there is one complication." Osiris mused.

"What's that?" Sleight asked.

"I don't do requests." Osiris glared.

"Please, I'm begging you!" Chrysalis pleaded. "I lost my mother almost a hundred years ago. There was still so much I wanted to say to her, to share with her. Will you not grant me this chance?"

"Sorry, but no." Osiris growled. "The exit's that way. Good morning."

"Aw, come on!" Sleight snarled. "You'd turn her down just like that?!"

"Yes." Osiris nodded, "I am sorry for your loss, but there are rules, and I can't-"

"Osiris!" Midnight yelled.

"Midnight?" Osiris frowned.

"Don't you have a heart?" Midnight growled. "All Queen Chrysalis wants to do is speak to her mother one last time. Is it really too much to ask for you to bend the rules just one time?"

"W-well, yes, it is." Osiris said nervously. "I can't twist the ancient edicts and drag anypony out of Tartarus because somepony asked me."

"Osiris..." Midnight glared. "You should know how she feels. You and your sister lost your parents, didn't you? Surely you must know what it's like to miss them after all these years."

"I do." Osiris nodded. "But-"

"No buts!" Midnight snarled. "Either you help them out, or there'll be no cuddle time for the rest of the week!"

"What?!" Osiris gaped, "You want me to bend my ancestral rules and conducts or deprive me of our moments of warmth on your couch?!"

"That is my ultimatum." Midnight nodded, "Take it or leave it."

For the first time since they met, Sleight and Chrysalis saw the big serpent lost at words as he then gave a groan.

"...Okay, I'll do it." Osiris gave in.

"Unbelievable..." Chrysalis gaped.

"Yeah." Sleight smirked. "The guy's totally whipped!"

Suddenly, a purple lightning bolt struck down next to him.

"Yikes!" Sleight jumped into Chrysalis's hooves.

"Do not test me, little pony." Osiris scowled. "My mood isn't getting any better, you know."

"Easy there, O." Midnight rolled her eyes. "Learn to take a joke..."

"Sorry, Midnight." Osiris cringed.

"Words cannot express how happy I am for this." Chrysalis told Osiris and Midnight. "Thank you both."

"Come, I will take you to the Garden." Osiris urged, lowering his neck and head. "Climb on."

Sleight and Chrysalis obeyed. Midnight got on Osiris' head.

"Hold on." Osiris urged.

Osiris flew out of the cave, as they threw high over Canterlot.

"That's quite a view." Sleight noted.

"Indeed." Chrysalis smiled. "Seeing the world from up here does put things on perspective."

"Yeah, it's really something else." Midnight agreed. "Flights like this are just a fringe benefits of dating a giant serpent."

"About that." Sleight asked. "How the heck did you guys even hook up?"

"That's kind of a long story." Midnight declared. "I was assigned to guard the caves after Osiris moved in. And it turns out, he knew my ancestor once upon a time."

"Did he, now?" Chrysalis mused. "Quite a coincidence."

"Oh, yeah." Midnight nodded. "Things didn't end well between them, so he was a little wary around me for a while. But we became friends soon enough. And then, after he saved me from my abusive coltfriend, we became something more..."

"No offense, but I find it hard to believe a Deity of death could be a viable romantic partner." Chrysalis frowned.

"Oh, you have no idea." Midnight sighed. "He's such an old romantic. Why, just last week, we went out under the starlight, held each other closely, whispered sweet nothings into each others ears."

"Ahem." Osiris said curtly. "We're closing in on the island. Prepare for landing."

Osiris soon touched in the middle of the sanctuary, right in front of the silver ivys that covers the entryway into the Garden.

"Whoa, look at this place..." Sleight looked around.

"Such majesty..." Chrysalis agreed.

"This way, please." Osiris urged, as he slithered through the ivys.

"Wait up, big guy." Midnight followed after him.

Sleight and Chrysalis followed Osiris and Midnight into the center of the Garden, where a large hole was.

"All this mist..." Chrysalis remarked. "Where is it coming from?"

"And what is that?" Sleight asked. "Looks like somepony needs to fire the gardener..."

"This hole serves a gateway to the spirit realm." Osiris revealed. "The 'mist' is the essence of that realm leaking through, allowing the spirits to manifest."

"So this is where my mother emerge." Chrysalis glanced at the hole.

"With a little help from yours truly. of course." Osiris noted.

"So, what are we waiting for?" Sleight smiled. "Let's get this show on the road!"

"Okay, here we go." Osiris remarked.

He circled around and above the hole, his body markings glowing. A red light suddenly burst though the hole. A chained figure emerged from within it, the chains leading down the hole. It was Thorax, looking just the same as she did as Chrysalis last saw her, only more haggard.

"It's her." Chrysalis gasped. "Mother..."

"Chrysalis?" Thorax frowned. "What is this? One moment I am being tormented in Tartarus, the next I am here...why?"

"Don't question it, mother." Chrysalis smiled. "We are together again, if only for a moment. Oh, the things I want to say to you."

"...Well, I have things to say to you, too." Thorax declared.

"You do?" Chrysalis smiled.

'Okay, happy mother-daughter reunion time...' Sleight smiled hopefully. 'Hope I don't cry...'

"Yes..." Thorax began, before her face contorted into a vicious snarl, "Mostly about the disgrace you had brought upon our hive!"

"W-What?" Chrysalis gasped.

"Huh?!" Sleight gaped.

"Oh boy..." Osiris grimaced.

"Even trapped in Tartarus, I could see things happening above." Thorax declared. "Everything for the past hundred years and honestly, I can't hardly tell which is worse: a hundred years of damnation, or a hundred year of seeing everything you built go up in smoke!"

"I...I don't understand..." Chrysalis trembled.

"You failed to live up to your promises." Thorax scowled. "You failed to overcome the ponies, letting them destroy the hive I am entrusted to you and reducing you to near-extinction, then you had the audacity to agree to peace with them!"

"But I-" Chrysalis quivered.

"And worst of all, you actually married one of them!" Thorax roared. "How revolting!"

"Mother, please..." Chrysalis sniffed, tears in her eyes, "I...I..."

"You've spat on everything it means to be a true Changeling!" Thorax sneered. "You are no daughter of mine. You're nothing but a pathetic traitor. A weak fool."

Chrysalis burst into tears.

"What the buck is wrong with you?!" Midnight snarled, as she tries to sooth her.

"Yeah!" Sleight yelled. "Your daughter had you dragged out of hell so she could talk to you again and you thank her by disowning her?!"

"Oh and I am so grateful!" Thorax snarled sarcastically. "All these years I spent trying to make my hive prosper and the thanks I get is being put in Tartarus! You know how Faust awful it is down there?!"

"And you now know why I don't do these kind of favors, Midnight." Osiris growled.

"Not now, Osiris." Midnight grunted.

"...This... this was a mistake..." Chrysalis wept. "I should never have asked for this."

"No, this wasn't a mistake." Sleight urged.

"Says the biggest mistake of all." Thorax smirked. "Oh, I know about you as well, Sleight. You are the reason my daughter has fallen so far. You have corrupted many of our children with your pony ways. It was bad enough to see my brother become one of you... but to go as far as letitng runts like Sazh live, and Char... you had poisoned him like everypony else. And don't think I know of the defiling you had done upon Chrysalis... I swear, if I were alive, I would kill you..."

"That's enough!" Chrysalis rounded on her mother. "You can insult me and hurt me, but not my husband!"

"Husband?" Thorax sneered. "A pony term, showing just how far you've fallen..."

"I have not fallen." Chrysalis urged, standing firm. "I have risen. The hive may no longer be as you remember it, but my children are happy and prosperous. We no longer live in fear of extermination, and all because we have made peace with the ponies."

"But peace is not our way." Thorax snarled.

"In your day, perhaps." Chrysalis admitted. "But the world has changed since then. And we had to change with it. Think about it, mother. How many Changelings died in the old days?"

"Far too many to count." Thorax scowled. "All because of those ponies."

"But not without provocation." Chrysalis pointed out. "The aggression between both races was the source of most of those deaths. Now that that aggression is over, the deaths have whittled down to almost nothing."

"Almost." Thorax scowled.

"Mother, you left me to rule the hive, to ensure it prospered." Chrysalis noted. "That is what I have done, with lots of help from Sleight. Even if it isn't the way you have done it, it has brought joy and safety to our hive. And in the end, isn't that all that matters?"

"Well... perhaps..." Thorax mumbled.

"Perhaps?" Chrysalis frowned. "You once told me the wellbeing of our hive took precedence over everything. That's what all I have done was for. Every action I took that disgusts you was done for the sole purpose of making my children happy. And they are happy. Our hive is growing and becoming stronger every day, all because of myself and Sleight. And the ponies that once hated us now accept us, and provide us with friendship and comraderie. Doesn't that sound better than living under the weight of hate and fear? Of being on the verge of war and extinction? Well, doesn't it?"

"I... I..." Thorax said, trying stubbornly to hold on to her point of view.

"Doesn't it?" Chrysalis said firmly.

"...Yes." Thorax admitted, her face filled with sorrow. "It is..." She began whimpering. "Oh, Chrysalis, my daughter... forgive me... I was wrong..."

"Of course I forgive you." Chrysalis smiled tearfully. "I love you, mother."

"And I love you." Thorax declared.

"I'm afraid time's up." Osiris declared. "I can't keep this up much longer."

"If I must return to Tartarus, at least I will be safe in the knowledge that the hive is in good hooves." Thorax admitted. She glanced at Sleight. "Both sets."

"Thanks... mom." Sleight grinned.

"Don't push it." Thorax scowled. "Goodbye, my dear."

"Goodbye, mother." Chrysalis smiled.

Thorax vanished, and the beam faded.

"Thank you." Chrysalis told Osiris.

"You're welcome." Osiris nodded, "Now is there anypony else that you would like to see while we're here?"

"Yeah, but I don't think I'll need you for this one." Sleight concentrated on a particular pony.

From out of the mists, Final Gambit emerged.

"Hey, dad." Sleight smiled.

"Son." Final gaped. "How-?"

"Long story." Sleight smiled. "How ya doing?"

"Pretty good, all things considered." Final admitted. "...Look, I'm sorry I just up and died when things were starting to get good between us."

"It's okay." Sleight admitted. "Couldn't be helped. But at least we can see each other now."

"Yes, we can." Final nodded.

"So... have you seen mom yet?" Sleight asked.

"Not yet." Final bowed his head. "Conjure wouldn't want to see me, not after everything I did."

"Don't be so sure." Sleight told him. "Give it a try. She might surprise."

"I guess I could give it a shot..." Final admitted. "Heh. Even now, you're helping me to be a better pony."

"No problem." Sleight nodded. "Love you, dad."

"Love you too, son." Final nodded. "Take care of yourself. Don't want you here with me just yet."

"I'll try." Sleight chuckled. "You know how things are."

"Oh, I do." Final nodded. He turned to Chrysalis. "Chrys."

"Final." Chrysalis smiled.

"However you did this, I hope you do it again." Final nodded, as he faded away.

"Oh, I will." Sleight nodded. "Right, O?"

"Of course." Osiris nodded. "Now. let's head back."

"You got it." Sleight nodded.

Osiris flew them all back to Canterlot.

"Thank you so much." Chrysalis told Osiris. "It was so wonderful to see my mother again."

"It was my pleasure." Osiris nodded.

"Aw, such a softy." Midnight stroked him. "You'll get extra snuggle time this week."

Osiris blushed deeply.

"Well, we oughta be going." Sleight declared.

"Yes, we have a hive to return to." Chrysalis declared.

"Bye now." Midnight smiled.

"Farewell." Osiris added.

Sleight and Chrysalis soon were on their way back to the hive, riding in their carriage back to the hive.

"Thank you for this, Sleight." Chrysalis smiled.

"Hey, it's what I'm here for." Sleight grinned. "Plus, know we know about that Garden, you don't have to worry about missing me when I die. You can just come and visit any time."

"Oh, you can bet on that." Chrysalis smirked. "Every day, if I can."

"You'd better." Sleight joked.

The two kissed as they were carried home.

Meanwhile, in an unknown location, a pony lay hunched, unconscious in the middle of a dark room. Mere hours ago, he had resided in his native Cairode , working as a security guard at the local museum, but he had been overcome by an intruder, who had knocked him out with a blow to the head from one of the museum's own exhibits; a golden staff. The next thing he knew, he was waking up in that dark room.

"Wha... what happened?" The stallion groaned. "Where am I?" He looked around. "Hello? Hello!"

The sound of metal gates opening cut through the darkness, following by a gruff voice over an intercom.

"Testing, one two three, one two three..." The voice announced. "Okay. Initiating test run for Project: Infestation v. 2."

"Project: Infest- what are you talking about?" The guard spluttered. "Why am I here? What do you want from me?"

Suddenly, something began staggering towards him, from in the shadows. It's gait was weak and awkward, like it was in pain.

"What the-what is this poor guy doing here?" The Guard asked.

"Initiate injection of Project: Infestation v.2." A lighter, more refined voice declared.

A long arm extended from out of the wall. A needle was mounted in it. It jabbed the creature in the side, prompting a snarl of pain.

"Hey! What did you do to him?" The Guard frowned, "What was in that stuff?"

"Just shut up and observe." The harsher voice ordered.

The creature began to growl, its voice distorted and menacing.

"What the... what's happening to him?" The Guard gasped, frightened. "What are those things on him?"

The creature lunged at him.

"No!" The guard started running around, being chased by the creature. "Let me out! Let me out!" He started banging on the walls. "Help me please! I don't want to die!"

The creature lunged at him again, forcing the guard to run once more. The guard ran as fast as he could, but the creature pounced on him, pinning him. Its fangs bared, the creature started mauling him savagely.

"NOOOOOO!" The guard screeched. "ARRRRRGHHH!!"

Blood splattered everywhere. The whole grisly show was being observed by the two cloaked stallions from behind a one-way piece of glass. As they watched, the smaller one grew sickened by the display, as an intestine smacked against the window.

"Oh Faust..." He struggled to hold in the bile, but that failed, as he threw up.

"Beautiful. The test is successful!" The larger stallion cheered.

"Oh yay... did we have to feed that poor guard to the beast?" The smaller stallion gulped back another wave of vomit, "That was just..."

"How else are we going to see what our infected subject was capable of?" The larger stallion asked. "Besides, he was taking up room in the prison cells ever since that Black Thorn feller took him."

"Yeah... what was the point of that?" The smaller stallion grimaced, "Why did he kidnap him?"

"He was in the way." The larger stallion explained, before scoffing, "But either way, it's garbage that been dealt with. The mixture works and now we can see to it that Project: Infestation works this time."

"Yeah..." The smaller stallion sighed.

"...I'm not hearing that sound of confidence." The larger stallion glared.

"I'm sorry... it's just... I had been thinking. There is a lot riding on this project." The smaller stallion revealed, "I mean, look at how bad we had been doing lately. First, Silas's whole order has been dismantled by a rogue Nightcrawler, second, Sterling fell flat at the finish line of Project: Maelstrom and was imprisoned till recently. Project: Black Thorn ended up failing and our only umbrum was killed. Project: Transcendence tanked and Nalik ended up having all his organs dematerialized. And lastly, Project: Shadows was a bust and now Nightcrawlers are more a threat than ever..."

"And your point being?" The larger stallion asked.

"You see what failure could mean for us?" The smaller stallion fretted. "Two of our own is now dead and Solomon is saying that Father is not happy at all. I fear that if this doesn't work... we'll... we'll..."

"You listen to me, and you listen good." The larger stallion declared. "This is going to work. There will be no pony to stop us. Not that damn Earth Pony, not that damn Pegasus, and not any of the Nightcrawlers in the world. We put everything we got into making the world's greatest bioweapon and we are not going to stop because we're afraid that we'll end up like those two buckers. They lacked the vision that we possess. They didn't have the smarts and brawn that we have together! When we are done, not only will we have Equestria at our mercy... but we will be heroes... together, you and I..." The larger stallion held his hoof tightly.

"...We will, won't we?" The smaller stallion sighed.

"Sure, we will." The larger stallion nodded. "Don't start doubting on me now. We started this together, and we're going to end it together. You and me, pal. Until the end of the line. And our names will go down in history together."

"Yes." The smaller stallion nodded, his doubts fading. "Together. And woe betide any who try to get in our way..."

"That's the spirit." The larger stallion grinned. "Now, let's finally put our plan into action..."