• Published 10th Nov 2015
  • 2,597 Views, 109 Comments

King Of The Changelings - Bluecatcinema



An anthology series revolving around the denizen's of Chrysalis' hive, and beyond.

  • ...
10
 109
 2,597

From Out Of The Past

Another day came to the hive. Sleight and Chrysalis were enjoying their usual breakfast when a Guard entered.

"A pony courier dropped this off at the gates, my King." The Guard passed Sleight a letter.

"Thank you, Guard." Sleight nodded, as he took the letter.

"I wonder who it's from." Chrysalis mused.

Sleight started reading the letter.

Dear King Sleight,

Caboose here. Remember me? Of course you do. I'm impossible to forget. Ask the writers of this story... wait, getting off topic here... Anyways, I know it's been a while since we really talked, but have I got a fun opportunity for you. I know you're into stage magic and card tricks and stuff like that, and I just happen to know somepony who is really great. Her name is Dove, and she's a friend of mine. She's holding this big show on Wednesday at noon. You should drop by and see it. It is all kinds of awesome. There are directions on the back. Just follow them, and I'll be waiting for you.

See you soon,

Caboose

"How courteous of him to invite you." Chrysalis noted.

"Yeah, it's nice, but..." Sleight frowned.

"But what?" Chrysalis asked.

"It's kinda weird, him inviting me." Sleight shrugged. "It's not like we're the best of friends. I mean, we were ready to fight a warmonger together at one point, but that's it."

"Clearly, Caboose feels otherwise." Chrysalis noted. "Perhaps you should go. After spending so many years performing magic shows, I imagine you may enjoy watching one."

"Never actually watched another show before..." Sleight mused. "But what about you? Don't you want to come?"

"Oh, I don't want to be a third wheel." Chrysalis shook her head. "You go and have some fun. I'll be fine right here."

"I guess it would be fun, huh?" Sleight mused. "...Okay, I'll go."

"And I'm sure Caboose will appreciate it." Chrysalis smiled.

"I just hope this 'Dove' character is as good as Caboose says." Sleight declared. "Believe me, there's nothing worse for a pro like me than to watch a rank amateur..."

As Wednesday came, Sleight took a carriage to Canterlot, following Caboose's (slightly hard to decipher) directions to the park, where Caboose was waiting.

"Hey there!" Caboose smiled. "Glad you could make it!"

"Well, I was a little surprised by your invitation." Sleight admitted. "No offense, but I never really saw us as being that close."

"Hey, I'm sure we had our differences, but in the end, we still enjoy each other company." Caboose smirked, "I invited you because I feel you would really love how well Dove is in magic tricks. I mean, surely the Amazing and Spectacular Sleight would get a kick out of it."

"Not my stage name, but I do appreciate the sentiment." Sleight smiled.

"To be honest, I thought of inviting my brothers first." Caboose confessed. "But they were all busy. Then I asked Shine, Gothic, Blueblood, Constell... all the same way. So I figured I'd dig deep into my address book, and your name came up."

"Oh." Sleight frowned.

"But that doesn't mean I'm not happy that I settled for you." Caboose chuckled nervously, "Trust me, you will enjoy this show."

"Yeah, well, we'll see." Sleight declared with a huff. "Who is this Dove, anyway?"

"She's my captain's wife. You know Fletcher, right?" Caboose declared. "She and Daring really hit it off when she and Fletcher first came here, and we're all pretty close right now. So trust me when I say she knows her stuff."

"I think I'll be the judge of that." Sleight declared. "Where's the stage?"

"Right over here." Caboose urged.

Dove was performing out of the park's amphitheater, with several ponies already in attendance. Caboose led Sleight to the front row.

"Front row seats, huh?" Sleight noted.

"What can I say?" Caboose smirked. "I got connections."

Caboose's wife, Daring Do, their children, Hurricane and Michael, and Fletcher were also sat in the front row, eagerly awaiting the show.

As the curtains opened and the lights went on, the audience beheld a seemingly empty stage. Then suddenly, a flock of doves flew down, circling the center of the stage like a white tornado. Then they flew away, revealing Dove, who was wearing his signature feathered cape.

"Huh, not bad." Sleight admitted. "As opening tricks go, it was pretty decent."

"Welcome to the show, everpony!" Dove called, in her distinctive Prench accent. "Are you ready for some astounding, magnifique feats of magic?"

"Yeah!" The crowd cheered.

"Okay, then here we go!" Dove opened her cape, releasing a flurry of feathers, which flew over the crowd.

"Oooh!" The crowd gasped.

Sleight raised an eyebrow in silent intrigue.

Using her horn, Dove made one feather into a quill; She dipped in some ink, then wrote random on the floor. With another burst of magic, the letters flew up into the air, rearranging themselves into the word: "Ta-daa!"

The crowd applauded once more.

'Pretty good...' Sleight thought. 'Guess Caboose wasn't exaggerating all that much...'

"And now, my trusty assistant Dinah will assist me with my next trick." Dove announced.

Dove reached under her cape, and pulled out a bird cage with her pet dove. From the other side of her cape, she pulled out an expense of cloth. She put the cloth over the cage, then pulled it off, revealing Dinah to have vanished. She then repeated the movements, with Dinah reappearing.

'Kinda old hat, if you ask me...' Sleight thought.

Dove then waved the cloth over the cage, which vanished entirely. She turned the cloth inside out, wrung it out, then flipped out again, the cage appearing atop it.

'Okay, that's a little more unique...' Sleight admitted.

Dove opened the cage, and Dinah flew out, perching on Dove's hoof.

"Anything to say, Dinah?" She asked.

Dinah opened her beak. A tiny balloon emerged from within, inflating and rising above the stage. Dinah flew up and pecked the balloon, which popped, showing the stage with glitter and confetti. Dove bowed, then held out her hoof for Dinah to perch on again. The little dove also bowed to the audience, who applauded harder than ever.

"Now, for my grandest trick ever." Dove announced, her horn lighting up once more.

Another blizzard of feathers came onto the stage. They carried Dove and Dinah up into the air. Dove leapt off, and Dinah took flight. The feathers formed into curves, which Dove slid down. Some feathers formed into rings, which Dove and Dinah dived through. Then a bunch of feathers formed into wings and attached themselves to Dove. She performed a few feats of acrobatics alongside Dinah, before disassembling the wings and going into freefall, Dinah diving down with her.

As they dropped to the stage, a feather ramp formed. Dove slid down it, sliding on her knees onto the stage. She stopped just short of the edge. Dinah did a loop-de-loop and landed on her horn.

The crowd went wild, applauding louder than a wounded dragon could roar.

'Now that's what I call a show-stopper.' Sleight remarked, really amazed. 'Such talent. Such skills. Such... magic. All of that in one mare... It seems almost... familiar...'

A strange sensation emerged in the back of Sleight's head, telling him that Dove was more than some random magician, that she was somepony important. But he couldn't imagine why....

Dove bowed as the curtains closed, the applause of the audience still filling the air.

"Okay, I'll admit it: that lady has some skill." Sleight remarked aloud. "I haven't seen such magical skill since... well, me."

"Yes, that's my wife." Fletcher declared proudly.

"Yay, Dove!" Michael cheered. "Yay, Dinah!"

"Did you see that last trick?" Hurricane smiled. "I can't fly that well, and I've got real wings!"

"Heck of a show, that's for sure." Daring admitted. "Just like always..."

The audience filed out of the amphitheater.

"Wasn't that fun?" Caboose grinned. "And to think, you have me to thank for such a great day."

"Yeah, it was... something else." Sleight mused. "Thanks for the invite, Caboose. It's given me a lot to think about..."

"No problem." Caboose declared. "If you ever want to hang out again..."

"I'll give you a call." Sleight smiled. "Now, if you'll excuse me..."

"Consider yourself excused." Caboose nodded.

Sleight returned to the hive. He had enjoyed the show, but he couldn't get the odd sensation out of his head. Something about Dove seemed all too familiar to him.

"Welcome back." Chrysalis greeted. "How was the show?"

"It was actually pretty good." Sleight admitted. "I'm glad Caboose extended the invite. That Dove's quite a performer. A real sight to behold. She knew all the right ways to amp up the crowd. And those tricks... I've never seen such magical talent!"

"You don't say?" Chrysalis scowled, clearly a little jealous.

"Relax, Chrys." Sleight chuckled. "She's like, half my age. I don't go for gals that young. Besides, I have you."

"Lucky me." Chrysalis smiled.

"Still, there is something about her..." Sleight mused. "Those talents I mentioned seemed almost... familiar."

"Have you ever known anypony with such skill?" Chrysalis asked.

"Can't say that I have." Sleight shrugged. "I just can't put my hoof on things... It's probably nothing, though. Like deja vu."

"Either way, I'm glad you had a good time." Chrysalis smiled.

"Me too." Sleight grinned. "But I'm more glad to be back with you."

"Oh, you charmer..." Chrysalis purred.

"Come on, let's have us some alone time..." Sleight smirked.

"With pleasure." Chrysalis nodded.

The two retreated to the royal bedchambers, for a very entertaining evening...

A few days later, another letter arrived. This one was from Trixie, asking Sleight and Chrysalis to come and visit.

"What do you think?" Sleight asked, after reading the letter.

"Well, they were gracious enough to come here so long ago." Chrysalis admitted. "It would only be proper to return the favor."

"My thoughts, exactly." Sleight nodded. "Baltimare, here we come..."

"Wizel, will you and the others be okay looking after things?" Chrysalis asked.

"Of course, my Queen." Wizel nodded.

"Try not to let the place get invaded or anything." Sleight teased Sazh.

"I'll try." Sazh joked. "Seriously though, I can take care of things while you're away.

"I'd expect no less from my royal advisor." Sleight declared. "This hive's in good hooves."

"Excellent." Chrysalis smiled. "Then let's take a little trip..."

"With pleasure." Sleight nodded.

The King and Queen made their way to Baltimare, and to Trixie and Smoke's home, which resided behind Smoke's shop.

"My, how quaint." Chrysalis declared.

"Time to see how the other half lives..." Sleight smiled, as he knocked on the door.

Trixie answered.

"Hey, guys." She smiled. "Come on in!"

Sleight and Chrysalis followed Trixie into the living room.

"Smoke, our guests are here." Trixie declared.

"Hey, Sleight." Smoke smiled. "Your Queenship."

"Please, call me Chrysalis." Chrysalis urged.

"We're so glad you could make it." Trixie declared.

"We're glad to be here." Sleight grinned. "Say, where's Trickster?"

"Oh, he's off camping with some friends." Smoke announced.

"So it's just the adults tonight? Wonderful." Chrysalis declared. "I must say, you have a very nice house. I haven't been in many of these, but yours is a cut above the others I've seen."

"Thank you." Trixie smiled. "We put a lot of work into it."

"I'll bet you did, and on such a modest budget." Sleight chuckled.

"Well, we can't all live in fancy towers." Smoke joked.

"So, what have you been up to?" Trixie asked.

"Well, I checked out this magic show in Canterlot." Sleight noted.

"Somepony else's show?" Trixie frowned.

"I know, not my usual thing." Sleight shrugged. "A friend invited me. And I'm glad he did, because the performer was amazing. Her name was-"

Just then, there was another knock at the door.

"Huh? Didn't know we were expecting more guests." Sleight remarked.

"...We're not." Smoke admitted.

"I'd better see who it is." Trixie declared.

Trixie went to answer the door, finding Dove on the other side.

"Hey, mom!" Dove smiled.

"Dove!" Trixie gasped, her face alight with surprise...then with a bit of horror for some reason. "Dove, sweetie, I wasn't expecting you..."

"Fletcher's on one of his overnight trips on Royal Guard business." Dove declared. "I didn't want to just sit at home all night all by myself, so I decided to pay my parents a visit." She gave a wide smile. "Isn't that tres bon?"

"It's... lovely.." Trixie said awkwardly. "Come in."

Dove followed Trixie into the living room. Sleight gaped in astonishment at Dove's presence.

"What the-?" He frowned.

"Hey, honey, guess who came for a visit." Trixie declared.

"Hi, darling." Smoke smiled warmly. "Finally taking time out of your showbiz life to see me, huh?

"No amount of success could keep me from you for long." Dove hugged him"...Wait, who's...?"

"Dove, sweetheart, you know Sleight, the magician I told you about when you were a filly?" Trixie asked as she gestured to Sleight.

"Sleight? As in Sleight Gambit?" Dove gasped, her surprise matching Sleight's. "The greatest practitioner of card-based magic in all of Equestria?!"

"And KIng of the Changelings." Sleight felt the urge to add for some reason.

"Oi vey!" Dove let out a small squeak. "Sleight, er-" She suddenly gave a small bow. "King Gambit, votre majeste. I am your biggest fan..."

"Really?" Sleight smiled. "...Didn't think I still had them." He then gestured her up. "But please, just Sleight. I'm not looking for any special treatment."

"And why not?!" Dove smirked. "You were always an inspiration to me, Sleight. Mom and dad told me so much about you! I always wanted to meet you in pony!"

"Oh boy, I knew this would happen when she met you." Smoke rolled his eyes with a smile.

"...Hold on." Sleight held up a hoof, "You're... Smoke and Trixie's daughter?"

"That's right." Dove smiled, "Dove Cecilia Mirror."

"You never mentioned a daughter before..." Chrysalis said, confused. "I thought Trickster was your only child."

"Really?" Trixie declared, her eyes a bit shifty. "It must've slipped our minds."

"Huh, I thought Trixie would had already told you." Smoke frowned, before shrugging. "I guess I never said anything because well..." He scratched his head. "With how things were back then, I guess I didn't want her to get used to seeing you a lot."

"Okay, I guess that makes sense..." Sleight nodded.

"By the time Sleight became King and all, Dove was already out of the nest and engaged to that friendly Fletcher fellow. How's the Captain doing nowadays, honey?" Smoke turned to Dove.

"Oh, he's doing great." Dove nodded. "Thanks for not ever mentioning me to my idol, by the way..." She pouted.

"But... why did you never bring her along on your visits... or around when I visited?" Sleight asked. "I mean, when Trickster was but a little baby colt, she wasn't around at all."

"She was at a boarding school for talented Unicorns in Prance." Trixie explained. "We weren't sure about sending her at first, what with... certain experiences I had with powerful magic... but ultimately we decided it was best to nurture her gift, and allow her to be the best she could be."

"Well, that explains the accent..." Sleight shrugged, though what Trixie said about her magic... stirred up that same feeling from before. "...Still." He turned to Dove, and held out a hoof. "It's nice to meet you, Dove. Better late than never."

"It's a pleasure to meet you too, Dove." Chrysalis added.

"It's an honor, your majesty." Dove bowed.

"Why don't you take a seat?" Sleight offered. "Then we can all get to know each other."

Dove sat down across from Sleight.

"I can't believe I'm in the same room as my idol!" Dove squealed. "You are just the greatest, Sleight. Mom told me countless stories of her days with you performing. Meeting you is like a dream come true!""

"Thank you, Dove." Sleight smiled, "Actually, as I was saying, I was at your show in Canterlot a few days back."

"Really?" Dove gaped. "What did you think?"

"I thought it was excellent, to tell you the truth." Sleight grinned. "You've got a lot of skill, kid. And with the way you're going, you're gonna go far."

"Really? You think so?" Dove beamed. "That means a lot coming from you, Sleight!"

"You really think that much of me?" Sleight asked.

"Of course." Dove nodded. "I saw one of your shows when I was a filly. After visiting mom and dad for spring break, I had the good luck to run into that circus you used to run with. Your show had the greatest feats of magic I've ever seen."

"Why, thank you." Sleight smirked. "Nice to know there are still ponies out there who appreciated my former career."

"In fact, you're the whole reason I decided to go into stage magic." Dove admitted.

"Really?" Sleight asked. "Your mother didn't have a say in it? She was a stage magician herself."

"I didn't want to push her into anything." Trixie shrugged. "But I supported her wholeheartedly."

"As a mother should." Chrysalis smiled.

"Before I saw your show, I wanted to become an ornithologist, since I love birds so much." Dove told Sleight. "It was a hard choice, but ultimately, I decided to indulge both my passions by incorporating birds into my act."

"Well, judging by your uniquely amazing act back there, I'd say it was a good choice." Sleight smiled.

"Thanks." Dove gushed. "You have no idea how much that means to me."

"Actually, I think I do." Sleight noted. "The true performer relishes the accolades of an appreciative audience."

"Oh, I know." Dove nodded. "No matter what problems I have, when I'm out there on stage, the applause just makes it all go away. In that moment, I feel invincible, like I'm on top of the world."

Dove's words gave Sleight pause. He had felt the exact same way during his performances... then again, who didn't? He was probably just making comparisons.

"But enough about that." Dove smiled. "How's Trickster?"

"He's doing okay." Smoke smiled. "Though he still misses his big sister. I know how he feels..."

"Aw, dad..." Dove grinned.

"So... what did you do when you decided to take up stage magic?" Sleight suddenly asked, curiosity eating at the back of his mind.

"Well, before I settled down with Fletcher, I felt like the whole world was a stage." Dove grinned. "Whenever there was a big gathering, I liked to make sure everypony knew who I was. I made a big entrance to grab ponies' attention, then announced myself as..." She took a deep breath. "Dove, the Extraordinary!" She then gave a small blush. "Or 'Marvelous and Spectacular', but I always like the word 'Extraordinary'."

"Heh, you and Sleight both." Smoke joked. "The guy would always call himself that."

"Yeah..." Sleight was becoming more unnerved. Dove was showing more and more personality traits in common with himself. She even use a part of his own stage name. Again, he tried to rationalize that her mother always loved doing the same thing and it wasn't like his stage name was something that could be 'inherited' or anything.

"After all, a good magician has to bring her A-game to every event in which she is present." Dove beamed, paraphrasing something Sleight himself had said years ago.

"Yeah, that's true..." Sleight frowned.

"Oh, Dove is quite professional." Smoke declared. "And she never took kindly to any kind of trouble with her props and wardrobe. One little thing out of place was enough to get her angry."

"Oh, dad." Dove rolled her eyes. "You're exaggerating."

"But not by much." Trixie added.

"A performer needs to keep the tools of their trade close at hoof." Sleight noted, silently acknowledging another thing he and Dove had in common. "I never go anywhere without my trusty decks of cards..."

"Trust me, he doesn't." Chrysalis smirked, "Everytime you shake his coat too much, cards would be flying everywhere."

"Say, do you think I could take a stab at some of those card tricks?" Dove asked. "That is, if it's okay with you?"

"I don't think-" Trixie started, a worried look on her face.

"Have it at." Sleight handed her a deck. "Just don't expect to do too much with it. It takes a lot of skill to pull these tricks off. Heck, I was lucky enough to master a few of them in three days... under 'certain' circumstances."

Dove took the deck in her hooves. Her horn glowed as she screwed up her face in concentration. The cards flew up and formed into the shape of a bird, which flew all around the room. Everypony was amazed by this... while Sleight was dumbfounded.

"Well, look at that." Chrysalis smiled. "She's a natural."

"I'll say!" Smoke gaped, as he then playfully nudged Sleight. "Looks like my daughter might beat you someday in cards, eh?"

"Yeah... huh." Sleight frowned. There was no room for rationalization this time. He knew that for a fact that forming morphs with cards was a skill that couldn't be learned without formal training and as far as he knew, only his family bloodline could do it without little effort. There was only one way this could be...

"Quick and random question, Dove, and I hope I'm not imposing... but how old are you... exactly?"

"What?" Smoke asked.

"Sleight?" Chrysalis said, Chrysalis.

Trixie tensed up.

"Well, that's a random question..." Dove frowned, before shaking it off with a smile. "But I'm twenty-two, if you must know. Born on the 18th of May, exactly"

Sleight froze in shock. Trixie reacted the same way when she saw Sleight's expression.

"Well, than-" Sleight started.

"Sleight, could you possibly join me in the kitchen?" Trixie suddenly asked. "I've got some of that tea you like, but I need your help to stir it the way you prefer..."

Sleight glanced at Trixie, and judging by the look in her eyes, it wasn't a request.

"...Sure." Sleight nodded, as he faced the others. "We'll be back in just a moment."

"...So how are things at the hive?" Smoke asked Chrysalis.

"Quite well, actually." Chrysalis nodded. "Peaceful and productive, just the way we like it."

In the kitchen, Trixie set up some cups.

"So... Dove is quite the performer." Sleight began.

"Oh, yes, she is." Trixie nodded, trying to keep focused on her task.

"Surely, she got some of that from you. I mean, aside me, you were one heck of a performer." Sleight gave a small smile.

"Yes, yes, indeed." Trixie murmured, trying to focus harder.

"But there is something else about her." Sleight declared with a frown. "She's good at magic, she's charismatic, she knows how to appeal to a crowd... If I didn't know any better. I'd say she didn't get that from Smoke."

"Hehe, Sleight, what are you saying?" Trixie tried her best to not face Sleight, as she spilled some hot water.

"I think you know damn well what I am saying." Sleight glared. "Dove isn't Smoke's daughter... is she?"

Trixie knocked over one of the cups.

"...No, she's not." She said quietly. "She's yours."

"...Trixie, how is this possible?" Sleight frowned. "According to Dove, she was born twenty two years back... that was after we broke up and-" Suddenly, it hit him. "No... it happened... that night, did it?"

"Yes, yes it did." Trixie nodded solemnly, "Surely, you remember how that night went, do you?"

"How could I forget?" Sleight murmured.

Flashback...

Trixie was walking down the cloudy streets of Baltimare, feeling as bad as the weather looked. She had just had a blazing row with Smoke. It had been over such a minor thing - the right way to launder her cape - but it had exploded into a much fiercer argument. Smoke had claimed that Trixie thought she was above him, just because she was once in show business.

Stung, Trixie retaliated by mocking him for being a "glorified antique store owner". Smoke apparantly considered that one below the belt, as he shot back with choice insults such as "prima donna" and "washed up has-been". Those words hit Trixie harder than he could have imagined.

Trixie had stormed out of the house in tears, loudly proclaiming her hatred of Smoke. She wandered through the streets aimlessly, lost in her pain.

'Stupid Smoke...' She thought. 'How could he say those things to me?'

She unknowingly made her way to the outskirts of town, only realising when she bumped into a tree.

'What the...' She stopped and looked around. 'Oh, wonderful. Didn't even know where I was going...'

As Trixie looked around, she saw a nearby field, where a familiar-looking traveling circus had set up shop.

'Wait, is that...?' Trixie realised.

The circus she used to work at alongside Sleight was clearly visiting the Baltimare area.

'Sleight, he's here.' Trixie thought. 'I need a shoulder to cry on, and he's the closest thing I have to one...'

Seeing no other place to turn, she made her way to Sleight's trailer. As she reached the door, she hesitated for a moment... but ending up knocking anyway.

Meanwhile, within the trailer, Sleight was partaking of a evening drink from his flask, after another stressful and rather lackluster performance.

"Here's to another lousy day." He raised his glass. "Some performer you are, Sleight..."

The knocking rang out into the air.

"Go away. I am not taking autographs." Sleight growled.

"...Sleight... it's me." A meek and somber voice declared.

"Trixie?!" Sleight darted up immediately, as he threw open the door, seeing Trixie standing there. "This is a big surprise. I didn't expect to see you this lat-" He suddenly noticed the look of despair on Trixie's face, "Trix? What's wrong?"

"Oh, Sleight." Trixie embraced him, sobbing deeply. "Smoke and I... we had a fight!"

"A fight?" Sleight repeated. "Oh, jeez... come in. Tell Sleight all about it."

Sleight led Trixie into his caravan, pouring them both some drinks.

"The old '84 Dream Castle, huh?" Trixie noted.

"Been saving it for a special occasion." Sleight admitted. "Now, just happened?"

"It was this little thing." Trixie admitted. "Smoke had washed my cape, but folded it up all wrong. I told him it needed to be treated with respect, but he said it didn't, since I'd retired. But I told him I still wanted it in peak condition, that it was a part of my past, and he wouldn't understand."

"What did he say?" Sleight asked.

"He got all offended." Trixie scowled. "He started taking shots at me about my career, acting like I thought I was so much better than him. I couldn't let that slide, so I pointed out he was some shopkeeper for a dusty old store. Then he... he... called me a washed-up has-been!"

"Ouch." Sleight cringed. "From what you told me about him before, I wouldn't think he had it in him."

"Neither did I." Trixie sniffed. "He was such a jerk..."

"Hey, hey." Sleight comforted her. "Cheer up. You're with your old pal Sleight now. There's no judgment here."

"Thanks, Sleight." Trixie down her drink. "Another?"

"Coming right up." Sleight nodded.

"Do you mind if I stay here tonight?" Trixie asked. "I don't really feel like going back."

"No problem." Sleight nodded. "I've still got that old fold-out bed of yours somewhere. Mi casa e su casa."

"Funny, I didn't think I'd ever see the inside of this place again." Trixie declared. "I was so happy in Baltimare. Or at least, I thought I was..."

"Hey, forget about that jerk, Smoke." Sleight frowned. "You're too good for him."

"You're sweet." Trixie smiled. "But as angry as I am at him, I can't just break up. These last few months have been so good, I'd be crazy to leave on account of one argument."

"I still say you're too good for him." Sleight slugged back another glass. "...I really do miss you, Trix."

"i miss you too, Sleight." Trixie smiled, the wine starting to get to her. "I know things between us didn't end too well, but I still haven't gotten used to not seeing you and that cheesy grin every day..."

"And I miss the smell of your perfume." Sleight sighed, putting a hoof around her. "Maybe it's a good thing this happened. Gave us a chance to see each other again."

"Yeah..." Trixie murmured. "More wine?"

"You got it." Sleight smiled, pouring her another glass.

"You know, things seemed simpler back in the old days." Trixie sighed. "You and I knew each other so well. We never argued about something like that..."

"Yeah, we were quite a pair." Sleight admitted. "Honestly, I've never had an assistant as good as you. Those were the best days of my life."

"Mine too..." Trixie declared. "You know what goes great with memories? More wine."

"See what I mean." Sleight grinned, pouring the last of the wine into their glasses. "You're a mare after my own heart, Trix. We were two of a kind, and my life's just a busted flush without you."

"You always did have a way of making a mare feel important..." Trixie giggled.

After finishing off the wine. Sleight and Trixie gazed at each other for a moment. Then, in the blink of an eye, Trixie embraced Sleight, kissing him. Sleight's eyes widened with shock, then closed as he returned the favor. Without breaking the kiss, they stumbled onto Sleight's bed...

The next morning, Trixie awoke. Her head was swimming, and her vision was blurry. The sunlight streaming in through the windows certainly wasn't helping.

"Oh, how much did I drink last night?" She rubbed her head.

Trixie felt somepony shift beside her. A broad shape laid on the bed, the sheets covering him up.

"...Smoke?" She asked tentatively, as she prodded her bedmate.

"Ooooh, my head..." The stallion groaned. The voice was familiar, but not the one she wanted to hear.

"Sleight?!" Trixie gasped, pulling off the sheets.

"Trixie?" Sleight frowned, before suddenly bolting upright with shock. "Wait, did we...?"

"Oh, Faust, we did..." Trixie groaned.

"I... I didn't mean to..." Sleight spluttered.

"It doesn't matter what either of us meant to do." Trixie said distastefully. "What matters is what we did do."

"Oh, jeez." Sleight cringed. "After everything that happened, we just... what do we do?"

"Here's what we're going to do." Trixie declared. "We are going to forget that this ever happened, and never speak of it again."

"We're not?" Sleight asked.

"That's right." Trixie nodded. "This was just a drunken mistake, and we need to forget. That sound good to you?"

"Well, I guess." Sleight nodded, "But-"

"Good." Trixie said grimly, cutting him off. "Now, I must be going. I have a coltfriend to get back to..." She made to leave, as she then gave one last somber look. "Goodbye, Sleight."

"Bye..." Sleight said weakly.

Trixie left the caravan. Seconds later, Sleight fell back on the bed.

"Now look what you've done, Gambit..." He put a pillow over his face. "Busted flush, alright..."

The present...

"Yeah, that was a rough morning." Sleight nodded.

"Yes it was. I thought that once I came back to Smoke, that would had been the end of it, and I could put the whole mess behind us..." Trixie sighed. "But then, I found that I was a week late, and after visiting a doctor, I was pregnant. I had some extra tests done in private, found out for sure... and there I knew who the father was... and the father was you."

"...Lauren Faust." Sleight fell back against the counter. "Does anypony else know?"

"No. When Smoke found out, he immediately thought that he was the father, and before I knew it... Smoke proposed to me, and was willing to take care of me and our child... I couldn't find it in myself to tell him the truth." Trixie frowned deeply.

"Well, that's understandable." Sleight agreed. "The guy absolutely despised me back then. The last thing I would want was for him to dump you or our kid because of how much he hated me..."

"Exactly." Trixie nodded sadly.

"Hold on a moment." Sleight held up a hoof, as he felt a twinge of anger and hurt. "Then why didn't you tell me that you were pregnant with my daughter?"

"Because I had a feeling you wouldn't want anything to do with me or her." Trixie glared tearfully. "We broke up because you didn't want to marry me or have foals with me. I didn't think you getting me pregnant would had changed that."

"Well, you didn't know that." Sleight growled. "I may have been an alcoholic con-pony back then, but I would had never let you go alone... I... I..." He let out a frustrated groan. "This is some mess, isn't it?"

"That's putting it mildly." Trixie sighed.

"I'm sorry..." Sleight apologised.

"I know." Trixie bowed her head.

"What do we do now?" Sleight asked.

"What we've been doing." Trixie declared, "We can't tell Smoke or Dove. If they find out..."

"Trixie." Sleight frowned. "We can't just keep on lying about this. Smoke and Dove should know the truth."

"What? You're kidding, right?" Trixie snorted.

"No, I am not." Sleight nodded firmly. "I may not have been suited to be a father back then, and I don't blame you for that, but I do know now that I want to be a part of Dove's life now. She is my daughter, and it's about time that I actually act like it. And you shouldn't keep this from Smoke any longer."

"Except I have to." Trixie insisted. "I won't ruin everything now, after all these years!"

"So you're going to keep lying to everypony?" Sleight asked.

"Yes, actually!" Trixie growled.

"Come on, Trix, Smoke deserves to know!" Sleight snarled.

"Smoke deserves to know what?"

Both Sleight and Trixie froze, as the two turned around and saw Smoke, Dove, and Chrysalis standing there, all bearing concerned and confused expressions.

"Smoke, Dove, Chrysalis... what are you three doing in here?" Sleight said nervously.

"We heard yelling." Chrysalis frowned. "Is everything alright between you two?"

"Yeah, and what do I deserve to know?" Smoke glared, "What are you two talking about?"

"Yeah, spill!" Dove added.

Sleight glanced at Trixie, urging her to finally come out with it.

"...Smoke... Dove... there is something I need to tell you both." Trixie sighed, as she turned to Smoke. "Smoke... Twenty two years ago. Do you remember when we had that big fight?"

"Um... yeah, it was about how to fold your cape." Smoke frowned, "We really got into it. I said some horrible things and you ended up storming out of the house for the night... where did you go that night?"

"Well, you see, Smoke. As it turned out, the circus Sleight and I worked with was back in town that night, and I was really upset, so I went and visit Sleight. He was still my friend." Trixie explained.

"Uh-huh." Smoke nodded with a frown.

"I was only trying to comfort Trixie, and she and I had a few drinks to forget our troubles." Sleight continued.

"Uh-huh..." Smoke's frown deepened.

"Oh my..." Chrysalis was beginning to catch on to what they are suggesting.

"Mother?" Dove murmured.

"The next thing we knew, Sleight and I... we..." Trixie didn't felt the need to finish the thought.

"No..." Smoke gasped.

"And before I knew it, I was pregnant... with Dove." Trixie explained.

"Oh my..." Chrysalis whispered.

"No..." Smoke repeated himself, dumbfounded.

"What are you saying, mom?" Dove asked, shocked. "That Sleight is..."

Trixie nodded solemnly.

"Yes, sweetheart. Smoke isn't your father." She turned to Sleight. "He is."

"What?!" Dove gasped.

"Unbelievable..." Chrysalis frowned.

Smoke's eyes began twitching as his body began to quiver.

"Smoke, are you doing alright?" Sleight asked. "You're looking-"

"No." Smoke shook his head.

"Smoke?" Trixie whispered.

"No... no... no... no..." Smoke began chanting, shaking his head more.

"Uh-oh..." Sleight didn't like the sound of this.

"No... no..." Smoke's voice began to grow louder and angrier, shaking his head violently. "No... No... No... NO!" He then began roaring, "NO, NO, NO, NO!" He let out a vicious snarl as he suddenly punched a hole in the wall, as he stormed off.

"Smoke!" Trixie followed right after him.

"Whoa, easy there!" Sleight urged.

"Dad, calm down!" Dove yelped.

"Control yourself, Mr Mirror!" Chrysalis declared.

"My wife's a whore!" Smoke roared, as he stormed towards the front door. "All neighbors are welcome! Line forms at the garage!"

"Smoke, let's talk about this!" Trixie pleaded, as she managed to grab him.

"Don't touch me!" Smoke batted off Trixie's hoof, as he glared viciously at Trixie, though tears were welling up in his eyes. "How could you do to me, Trixie?! You cheated on me with your ex right behind my back!"

"It was a mistake!" Trixie told him. "I never meant it to happen. It meant nothing!"

"Oh, so you just led me to believe that our first child, one of the big reasons I proposed to you, was mine, when in reality, she was HIS!" Smoke pointed coldly at Sleight.

"Smoke, please." Trixie murmured. "I never meant to hurt you. I didn't want to risk destroying everything we had together!"

"Dad, don't-" Dove started.

"I'm not your father." Smoke interrupted her, his face filled with so much hurt. "I never was. It was all a lie. A big fat heaping lie. You were never my daughter..."

"Hey, don't say that!" Sleight snarled.

"Smoke, don't blame Dove for this!" Trixie yelled.

"I don't blame Dove." Smoke declared, his eyes glaring holes into his wife. "You know, I could have forgiven the affair, or the fact that Dove wasn't my kid... but the fact that you had the audacity to have the affair with Sleight, the guy who took so much from me already, and lie to me about it all is something I find most unforgivable!"

"I wanted to tell you, really I did." Trixie replied. "But it seemed like it would ruin everything. And the more time passed, the more it looked like the best idea was to keep it hidden. I'm sorry..."

"All those years ago, I thought I'd met an angel." Smoke confessed, his voice quivering. "But I was wrong. You're a hussy. A floozy. A whore!"

"Easy there, pal..." Sleight stepped in.

"We're not pals!" Smoke yelled. "We never have been, and we never will be! You lecherous son of a-"

Smoke fired a magic blast from his horn at Sleight, but Chrysalis stepped in, creating a forcefield that bounced the blast back at Smoke, knocking him off his hooves.

"Fine, hide behind your bug wife." Smoke spat, as he stood back up. "Just as long as you keep the buck away from me!"

"Smoke, please..." Trixie pleaded.

"I can't be around you right now." Smoke growled. "Any of you."

And with that, Smoke stormed out of the house, slamming the door behind him. Trixie instantly burst into tears.

"Lauren Faust..." Sleight shook his head, as he placed a hoof on Trixie's shoulder. "Trixie... I'm so sorry... I didn't think he..."

"It's not your fault, Sleight." Trixie sniffed. "...It's all mine. I was the one who came on to you back then."

"Yeah, but it's not like I resisted." Sleight pointed out. "Let's just say we're both to blame for this mess." He turned to Chrysalis. "I'm sorry you had to see this, Chrys."

"As am I." Chrysalis sighed. "What a mess."

"You're not angry too, are you?" He asked.

"Of course not." Chrysalis assured him. "What happened that night occurred before we had even met. I would never hold it against you, or Trixie."

"That makes one of us." Trixie sniffed.

"All this time, I thought I knew who I was..." Dove sighed. "Turns out I never did..."

"You're the one I'm most sorry for, Dove." Sleight sighed. "You didn't ask for any of this."

"I don't blame you." Dove admitted. "Either of you. I'm just sorry about how things turned out so badly. Never imagined meeting my idol would turn out like this.."

"Oh, sweetheart." Trixie sighed.

"Smoke doesn't deserve this either." Sleight sighed. "Somepony needs to be there for him. And I doubt he'd listen to me or Trixie..."

"Leave that to me." Chrysalis declared. "I'll talk some sense into him."

"Chrys?" Sleight frowned.

"Trust me." Chrysalis smiled, as she went out after Smoke.

"Do you think she can do it?" Trixie asked Sleight.

"Hard to say." Sleight shrugged. "Her pony skills have improved, but she's never had to give relationship counseling before..."

Dove looked in the direction of the door, a look of deep worry on her face.

Sometime later, Smoke was in one of Baltimare's bars, drowning his anger and sorrows.

"Don't believe this..." He muttered to himself. "Buckin' Sleight... lying Trixie... twenty two years of marriage... all a big lie."

"I think you've had enough." A voice declared.

Chrysalis, disguised as a gray-coated, blonde mare with blue eyes and a flower Cutie Mark, walked over him.

"Peh, nice try, Queenie, but I already made the mistake thinking that a hot mare would ever want me." Smoke snarled.

"How very perceptive, Mr Mirror." Chrysalis frowned. "Yes, it is I, Chrysalis."

"What do you want?" Smoke growled. "Come to watch the encore presentation of the destruction of my life?"

"I came here to talk some sense into you." Chrysalis declared. "You really hurt Trixie back there."

"Oh please, as if I need any help from a wife of Sleight." Smoke scowled, "That lousy, two-Bit snake. Ever since that harlot introduced me to him, he always made me look like I was second rate. He was more charming, more talented, more handsome, more worldly, more suave... But even at my lowest, I always thought 'Hey, which one of us actually had kids with Trixie? Me!'. That thought alone was what kept me going. Dove was my baby girl. I raised her from a little filly... I gave her away at her wedding... she was my first child, the child I had with Trixie... the one thing Sleight couldn't take from me..." He then slammed his hoof into the bar, as he stifled a sob. "And now, your son of a cart horse husband took that away from me. As far as I am concerned, Trixie only settled for me!"

"What nonsense." Chrysalis retorted, "Trixie did not 'settle' for you. She chose to spend her life with you, and to start a family with you."

"Like you'd know, Changeling." Smoke retorted. "You don't have to worry about stuff like that. You know with absolute certainty that those kids back at the hive are all yours. I don't have that luxury. I've been betrayed, and lied to, and had everything taken from me, and as far as I am concerned, I don't want to see Trixie, or your husband's faces ever again..."

"Enough!" Chrysalis slapped him across the face.

"Ahhh!" Smoke yelled. "What are you-"

"Stop wallowing in your own hatred!" Chrysalis yelled. "Do you really think it matters that Sleight is Dove's real father?"

"Doesn't it?" Smoke asked.

"Of course not." Chrysalis declared. "I have this little Changeling back at the hive. Her name is Glinda. Sleight absolutely adores her and love her like his own, even though she nor any of the changelings for that matter are of his blood. She loves him and he loves her. The same is true with you and Dove. She may not be your biological daughter, but you still raised her, cared for her, loved her. That makes you her father, no matter what."

"That doesn't change the fact that she was conceived through betrayal." Smoke growled.

"True, Trixie and Sleight made a mistake." Chrysalis declared. "While Trixie may have slept with Sleight, she chose to return to you. Trixie could had easily ran away with Sleight again, and we wouldn't be having this conversation, but she didn't. She came back to you. Doesn't that say something about her feelings for you?"

"What difference does it make?" Smoke grumbled in defeat. "I loved Dove... but she was never my daughter to begin with. And now she knows that her father is her 'hero' Sleight, she never will be again..."

"That's not true."

Smoke and Chrysalis turned to see Dove.

"Dove?" Smoke frowned. "Why are you here?"

"To make sure that my dad was okay." Dove smiled solemnly.

"...I'm not your father." Smoke shook his head, his eyes misty. "Sleight is. All I am is... is..."

"That doesn't matter, dad..." Dove whispered, placing her hooves on his shoulder. "It's true, you aren't my biological father... but even then, you still raised me like you were. And that's what count. You taught me so many things... levitation, teleporting, those nifty mirror spells... you paid to have me sent to a great school in a wonderful country, where I would end up meeting the love of my life...you stood by me when I had those magic outbursts, and made sure I would be okay... I could always count on you to protect and support me over all these years... no matter what, you will always be my dad."

"Dove..." Smoke wiped a tear from his eye, "I... I..."

"Please don't leave us. Don't leave mom." Dove urged. "Mom loves you. She always has. Don't hate her over this. Please."

Smoke glanced at his half-empty glass, thinking it over.

An hour later, over at the house, Sleight was still consoling Trixie.

"What am I going to tell Trickster?" She fretted. "That his dad's gone because of me? I don't even know how I gonna tell him that his sister is only a half-sister."

"There, there." Sleight comforted her. "Maybe if we give Smoke some time to cool down, he might come around."

"Somehow, I doubt that." Trixie frowned. "It's hopeless. I've ruined everything"

"Come on, don't think like that." Sleight urged.

"Pretty hard not to right now..." Trixie said morosely.

Just then, Chrysalis and Dove returned, followed by Smoke.

"Smoke?" Trixie smiled hopefully.

"Hello, Trixie." Smoke said flatly.

"Smoke, I'm so sorry-" Trixie started.

"So am I." Smoke sighed. "I shouldn't have called you those things."

"Does this mean you... forgive me?" Trixie asked.

"I can't pretend I'm going to get over this easily." Smoke admitted. "But I'm not going to throw away everything we had over some mistake you made years ago. Regardless of her birth, Dove is my daughter. And you're her mother, and my wife. I'm willing to try and put this aside, for both your sakes."

"Oh, Smoke!" Trixie hugged him.

"Great job, Chrys." Sleight smiled. "Who knew you were such a good relationship counsellor?"

"I don't deserve all the credit." Chrysalis declared. "Dove was the one who finally got him to see sense."

"Yeah, she's quite a mare, huh?" Sleight nodded. "Takes after her father. And I don't mean me..."

The next morning, Sleight, Chrysalis and Dove prepared to depart.

"Dove, I... I don't know what to say." Sleight declared. "I know you probably must hate me for being a no-show all your life."

"Hey, you didn't know." Dove smiled. "Besides, I still had a pretty great dad, remember?"

"You sure did." Sleight smiled at Smoke. "Look, Smoke, I..."

"I know." Smoke nodded. "But you don't have to apologise. Thanks to you, I got to raise Dove. As far as I'm concerned, that makes us even."

"And thank you, Chrysalis." Trixie declared. "Smoke told me what you did last night."

"I did what had to be done." Chrysalis said modestly.

"Does that include slapping me?" Smoke cringed.

"I'm afraid so." Chrysalis nodded.

"This was definitely not what I thought would happen when I met my favorite magician." Dove admitted.

"It came out of left field for me, too." Sleight joked. "Good luck with the act, kid. Maybe you could come and visit the hive sometime, and I could give you some pointers... if it's okay with Smoke, of course."

"It's fine with me." Smoke nodded.

"Thanks, dad." Dove hugged him.

"Well, thanks for visiting, you two." Trixie told Sleight and Chrysalis. "Despite everything, it feels good to finally a clean slate. No more secrets."

"Though we're going to have some explaining to do at the next family reunion." Smoke noted.

"Hey, it all worked out in the end, right?" Sleight smiled. "That's what matters."

"We must be going." Chrysalis declared. "But we hope to see all of you very soon."

"Bye, mom. Bye, dad." Dove hugged Trixie and Smoke.

"Bye, sweetie." Trixie smiled.

"No matter what, you'll always be my daughter." Smoke declared.

"I know." Dove beamed.

After Sleight, Trixie and Chrysalis departed, Trickster finally returned from his camping trip.

"Hey mom, hey dad." He smiled. "Did I miss anything?"

"Well..." Trixie said awkwardly.

"It's a long story..." Smoke declared.