• Published 10th Nov 2015
  • 2,596 Views, 109 Comments

King Of The Changelings - Bluecatcinema



An anthology series revolving around the denizen's of Chrysalis' hive, and beyond.

  • ...
10
 109
 2,596

Wizel's Life

Wizel entered the tower, having taken a walk around the hive, appreciating how calm and peaceful things had become. Several years had passed since Sleight had become King. And despite Char going renegade and holding a Princess hostage, relationships between Changelings and ponies had never been better.

'Ah, peace at last...' He thought. 'Our feud with the ponies is over, and now we can live our lives without the threat of conflict looming its ugly head.'

As he entered the tower, in good spirits, he decided to check in on Sleight and Chrysalis. As he entered the throne room, he saw the two of them embraced together in a makeout session.

"Mmm, you're a great kisser, Chryssy." Sleight grinned.

"Why thank you." Chrysalis blushed. "But should we really be doing this in the throne room? What if one of my children come in and see us?"

"Then we'll just have to put on a show." Sleight chuckled, pulling her closer.

"Oh, Sleight..." Chrysalis giggled.

Not wanting to disturb them, he quietly slipped out of throne room. Back in the corridor, he sighed deeply. Seeing Sleight and Chrysalis so happy together reminded him of his own happy times with Hazel. His life before wasn't so bad either. From the very day he was laid, things seemed to go Wizel's way.

He and Cocoon were among the many eggs laid by Queen Chitin, Wizel's egg being laid just before Cocoon's. While Thorax's egg had been chosen to be Chitin's successor, Wizel had a grand fate of his own ahead of him; Even as a larva, he had a high concentration of magic within him. Thus, he was selected to one day become one of the future Queen's right-hoof Changelings.

"Ah...those were the days..." Wizel mused.

Flashback...

The young Wizel and Cocoon were playing together, the two having just recently grown into their shells.

"Can't catch me!" Wizel rushed around their home.

"Of course I can!" Cocoon boasted. "I'm the future Queen! I can do anything!"

"You just love reminding us all of that, don't you?" Wizel snorted.

"Don't be jealous, my lowly peasant brother." Cocoon teased him. "You'll still have a place in this hive, when I ascend to the throne... just lower than mine. A lot lower."

"Real nice, sis." Wizel sneered.

"Oh, come on, Mr. grumpy mandibles." Cocoon smirked. "It's not my fault I was chosen to succeed mother. Besides, it's not like you'd be chosen anyway; You're a boy!"

"I'm not jealous." Wizel huffed. "Just annoyed by how you go on about it all the time."

"I can't help it." Cocoon shrugged. "I'm just so excited about being Queen one day!"

"I know." Wizel sighed.

"And you know what else I'm excited by?" Cocoon asked. "Having you by my side."

"...Really?" Wizel gaped.

"Yeah." Cocoon nodded. "It'll be good to know you'll have my back. I always feel safe when I'm with you. You are my big brother, after all."

"Thanks, sis." Wizel smiled. "And don't worry. I'll always have your back... my Queen." He threw in a mock bow.

"You mean it?" Cocoon asked.

"With all my heart." Wizel nodded.

"Then I have only one thing to say... gotcha!" Cocoon tapped Wizel on the side.

"No fair!" Wizel yelled.

"Your turn to catch me!" Cocoon ran off, giggling.

"Oh, I'll get you alright, 'my Queen'..." Wizel gave chase.

The present...

Wizel smiled nostalgically. Things seemed so much simpler, so much more innocent back then. of course, they would grow and mature over time. When Cocoon started her Queen training, Wizel was given other tasks, most involving going out into the world beyond the hive. Wizel went on several excursions, familiarising himself with the world he had never seen before...

Flashback...

On one of his training missions, Wizel traversed a forest, taking in his surroundings.

'My, what a beautiful place...' He thought. 'So green, so lush, so full of life...'

As Wizel walked into a clearing, he suddenly found himself looking upon a trio of Earth Ponies. Reacting instinctively, he leapt into hiding. He had heard the stories of how ponies were primarily a food source for Changelings, but could prove dangerous in large numbers. Those ponies did not seem hostile, though. They were wearing recreational clothing, and all carried binoculars.

'What are they doing here?' Wizel thought. 'And what are those objects they have with them? They don't look like weapons...'

"Eyes open, everypony." The lead pony, a dark blue stallion with an olive branch Cutie Mark, declared. "The golden-crested warbler should be around here somewhere."

"Oh, I hope so." A powder blue mare with a sketchpad Cutie Mark smiled. "They're so majestic. I'd love to be able to sketch one..."

"Not before me, you won't." A maroon stallion with a robin Cutie Mark smirked.

'A bird?' Wizel frowned. 'They're out here looking for a bird?'

"Come on, dudes." The dark blue stallion urged. "Let's not turn this into a competition. That kinda thing totally harshes my mellow."

'If they're busy looking for this warbler, I suppose I'll be able to slip away without much bother...' Wizel thought.

Wizel turned, planning to sneak away quietly. But as he did, he stepped on a twig, which snapped loudly.

'Oh, dung.' He froze.

"What was that?" The mare asked.

"I think it came from behind that bush." The maroon stallion declared.

Wizel didn't know whether to run or stand his ground. While the ponies didn't seem like threats, they still outnumbered him. He could fight them, or he could take flight. He just couldn't make up his mind. Before he could decide, the bush was bushed apart, and the three ponies were looking right at him.

"Whoa..." The dark blue stallion gaped.

"Is that a... Changeling?" The maroon stallion asked.

"I think so." The mare nodded. "But I've never seen one up close before..."

"Um... why aren't you attacking?" Wizel asked.

"Why would we attack such a fascinating creature?" The maroon stallion asked.

"...You think I'm fascinating?" Wizel frowned. "You don't want to, say... run away in fear? Or attack me?

"No way, dude." The dark blue stallion shook his head. "We would never attack one of Faust's glorious creatures."

"Yeah, we love nature." The mare smiled. "And all who dwell within its bounty."

"You do?" Wizel blanched. All the stories he'd heard about ponies suggested that they would attack Changelings on sight, but this group actually seemed to be treating him with admiration.

"No joke." The dark blue stallion smiled. "I'm Peacemaker, by the way."

"Sketcher." The mare smiled.

"Red Rider." The maroon stallion announced.

"I'm... Wizel." Wizel declared, a bit dumbfounded..

"Totally cosmic to meet ya, bro." Peacemaker smiled.

"The same to you, I suppose." Wizel said, still a little confused. "I heard you're looking for a bird?"

"That's right." Sketcher nodded. "A golden-crested warbler. I don't suppose you've seen one, by any chance?"

"I know of only one bird around here with a golden crest." Wizel declared. "It makes its home on the east side of the forest, near the mountains."

"Oh, of course." Red Rider slapped his forehead. "No wonder we've never been able to find one!"

"Thanks for the directions, dude." Peacemaker smiled.

"My pleasure." Wizel nodded. "Good look with your... 'sketching'."

"Some of us don't need luck." Sketcher grinned. "I didn't get this Cutie Mark by hoof-painting, y'know..."

"I'm still gonna draw one before you." Red smirked.

"Harshin' my mellow, dude..." Peacemaker sighed. "Namaste, Wizel."

"Yes." Wizel smiled. "Nom... nam... to you as well."

The trio continued their trek through the forest, leaving Wizel to reflect on what had just happened. He had encountered ponies, and there had been no violence. That went against everything Changeling society believed about ponies, everything they had passed down throughout the countless generations of Changelings.

'I suppose the Changelings of old didn't know everything about ponies, after all.' He mused.

The present...

The events of that day had been a real eye-opener. From then on, Wizel knew that there was more to ponies than what the hive believed. He had hoped for more encounters on future treks, but one in particular proved more fruitful than he could possibly imagine...

Flashback...

Wizel was on another of his trips outside the hive.

Just ahead of him was a veridian coated, emerald maned Unicorn stallion with silver eyes and a Cutie Mark of a pile of Bits. He was being attacked on all sides by a gang of thugs.

"Have some a' that!" An indigo Earth Pony brute kicked the stallion.

"Not so tough now, are ya?" A teal Pegasus stallion sneered, adding in some hits of his own.

"Come on, guys." The victim cringed. "We're all reasonable, intelligent stallions. Well, I am, at least..."

"You callin' us stupid?" A brown Earth Pony growled.

"I didn't say that." The victim said quickly.

"You didn't not say it either!" The Earth Pony kicked him.

Wizel bristled at the sheer unfairness of the situation.

"Excuse me, gentlestallions!" He called out.

The thugs stopped their beating, staring in surprise at the newcomer.

"Boy, they got some big roaches out here." A crimson Pegasus snorted.

"What do you want, Changeling?" The indigo stallion scowled.

"Far be it for me to involve myself in matters I am not informed on, it would seem that this is a most unfair fight." Wizel observed. "What's the matter, fellows? Can't any of you bring yourselves to fight this stallion honorably in one-on-one combat? Or are you too afraid to try?"

"You callin' us chicken, bug-boy?" The teal Pegasus spat.

"If 'chicken' is a pony colloquialism for 'complete and utter coward', then yes." Wizel jeered.

"That's it!" The teal thug spat. "It's bug squashin' time!"

The Pegasus took to the air, diving at Wizel, who blasted him away with a beam of magic. The thug crashed into a tree, falling to the ground, unconscious.

"You just made a big mistake, pal!" A gray Earth Pony stallion roared.

The Earth Pony charged. Wizel fired some more bolts, but he dodged them, and swung at the Changeling. Wizel dodged the blow, then struck back, catching a glancing blow across his opponent's chin.

"Urgh!" The stallion growled. "Don't touch me, you filthy bug!"

The stallion threw another punch. Wizel caught his hoof, then flipped him onto his back, knocking the wind out of him.

"I'll have you know, I bathe regularly." Wizel declared.

"Don't just stand there!" The indigo stallion yelled at the others. "Get him!"

The other thugs charged Wizel en masse. Reacting quickly, Wizel sidestepped one, tripped another, then punched the indigo stallion in the stomach.

"Ugh!" The stallion wheezed. As he staggered backwards, his fellows lunged at Wizel.

Wizel wasn't much for physical combat, but his hard shell made it difficult for the stallions to harm him with just their hooves. He was able to shrug off most of their blows. Using a combination of well-placed strikes and magic blasts, he soon had the thugs on the ropes.

"Incredible..." The unnamed stallion remarked, having seen the whole thing.

"Let's get outta here!" The indigo stallion yelped, his side scorched by a magic blast.

The thugs made ran off down the road, their pride even more wounded than their bodies.

"And let that be a lesson to you!" Wizel called after them. He turned to the wounded stallion. "Are you alright? Can you stand?"

"Yeah, I think so." The stallion got to his hooves, a tad shaky. "You really saved my hide back there, pal. No offense, but I didn't think a Changeling would have it in 'im."

"None taken." Wizel smiled. "Not many of my kind would look kindly on what I just did."

"So... you got a name?" The stallion asked.

"Wizel." Wizel declared, "Wizel Yggdrasil."

"I'm Counterfeit Napoleon." The stallion declared. "'Count' to my friends."

"A pleasure, I'm sure." Wizel nodded.

"Maybe I can repay you for helping me out?" Count offered.

"There's no need for that." Wizel said humbly. "I just did what was right. You don't have to-"

"Like buck, I don't." Count snorted. "I was raised to show gratitude when somepony saves my life, and reward them accordingly."

"Well, if you must..." Wizel shrugged. "What do you have in mind?"

"Well, I happen to run this little organization." Count declared. "And I could use a fellow like you to help out every once in a while."

"Well, I'm not sure if I'm... available." Wizel declared. "I have a responsibility to my hive and Queen."

"I'm not talking about a full-time job." Count declared. "Just a part-time thing. You help me and my organization out every now and then, and in return, we could pay you in resources or food... whichever you'd prefer."

Wizel mulled it over. The hive had been having a problem with resources at the moment. They had enough for now, but winter was coming, and they may not have enough for the cold season. If he could put in a job or two in return for some building materials and other such necessities, he supposed it was a fair trade.

"...Okay, I accept your offer." Wizel declared.

"Glad to hear it." Count smiled.

"But I don't think it would be a good idea for you to send anypony to the hive to get me." Wizel pointed out. "As I said before, not all my kind are as open to interspecies interaction as I am."

"Got ya covered." Count smiled. He reached into his saddlebag, and give Wizel a notepad. "This little notepad will let you know when I need your help. I've got one just like it. What's written in one will show up in the other."

"Very clever." Wizel smiled, taking the enchanted pad.

"Let's just say I know the value of secrecy." Count grinned. "I'll be in touch soon."

The present...

And so began Wizel's clandestine membership with the Napoleon mafia. He would work alongside Count and his descendants over the years, all in hopes of proving that Changelings and ponies could work together. It was a small step towards Wizel's goal, but a step nonetheless. The fact that they were committing crimes didn't bother Wizel much, considering most of those crimes were unheard to Changelings.

At around that time, Wizel met the love of his life, Hazel. In his youth, Wizel was something of a ladies' Changeling. Once he'd reached adulthood, he had embarked on a series of flings. They weren't anything too serious, and never lasted very long. But then Hazel came along. He remembered that day more clearly than any other...

Flashback...

Wizel was in a hurry. He had to deliberate with the guards over defensive strategies, then check in at the nursery, make sure everything was running smoothly. As he turned a corner, he bumped into another Changeling.

"Oof!" The other Changeling feel backwards.

"Terribly sorry." Wizel apologised. "I was-"

Wizel stopped, as he got a good look at the Changeling he had bumped into. It was a female, more lovely than any he had ever seen before.

"...Beautiful." Wizel smiled, awestruck by her beauty.

"You were beautiful?" The female asked, confused.

"I-I meant to say I was in a hurry." Wizel corrected himself. "I'm terribly sorry about bumping into you."

"That's okay." The female smiled. "No harm done. ...Hey, aren't you the Queen's brother?"

"That's right." Wizel nodded. "Wizel, at your service."

"Hazel." Hazel declared.

"A name as beautiful as you are." Wizel grinned.

"Why, thank you." Hazel giggled. "You are a charmer."

"I like to think so." Wizel bragged. "So, what do you contribute to our great society?"

"I'm one of the soldiers." Hazel declared.

"A female soldier? How very progressive." Wizel complimented her. "I realise it isn't easy, working in a male-dominated profession. I'll bet you do good work, though."

"Thanks." Hazel smiled.

"I'd love to hear more..." Wizel offered.

"Wait, didn't you just say you were in a hurry?" Hazel asked.

"Oh, no!" Wizel yelped. "If I'm late with any of my duties, Cocoon will really give me an earful! She's something of a stickler for having things run on schedule."

"Well, don't let me keep you." Hazel declared.

"Maybe we could talk some more later?" Wizel offered.

"I'd like that." Hazel smiled. "I live over in on the east side of the hive. A little hut, last in the row. Drop by later when you have time."

"Consider it done." Wizel grinned. "Now, if you'll excuse me..."

As Wizel rushed off to perform his duties, Hazel looked on, smiling.

The present...

Wizel smiled widely. From that one chance meeting, a powerful love had sprung up. He came over to Hazel's hut right after finishing his duties. They talked about things, like what it was like for him to be Cocoon's top advisor. Wizel found himself entranced by both Hazel's beauty, and her kindhearted personality. Before long, he had asked her to be his mate, and she accepted.

Not long after that, they took in Char. Ostensibly, Wizel had taken him in in hopes of helping direct him onto the right paths in life, but he found himself enjoying the act of being a parent to him. It gave him some semblance of what it must have been like for Cocoon, who had birthed so many, and watched as those helped build the hive's newest generation.

In a way, Char reminded him of himself at his age, being a young spitfire like he was. Char was a stubborn, proud sort, not prone to showing his feelings too often, but Wizel knew he appreciated all the time he'd put into raising the young Changeling. As Char started learning the ways of the soldier, moving up through his class, succeeding in every test given to him, Wizel felt immensely proud of his young charge, and never hesitated to let him know that. With Changelings like Char around, the future was looking bright...

But then, tragedy struck. While out on a routine mission, Char and Hazel's group had been attacked, and Hazel had been captured by the pony aggressors. Forced by the others to retreat, Char had no choice but to bring the news to his adoptive father. Wizel was horrified at the idea of what those thugs could do to his beloved. With the very real possibility that his mate could be dead hanging over him, Wizel fell into numb shock. He locked himself in his chamber, answering to no other Changeling, even Cocoon.

Flashback...

Thorax knocked on the door to Wizel's chamber for the hundredth time.

"Wizel, please." Cocoon urged. "I know you're hurting, but the hive needs you."

"Not in the state I'm in." Wizel muttered. "The hive can go on without me."

"I know you loved Hazel, but you can't shut yourself off like this." Cocoon declared.

"Even if I did come out, I just can't give my duties the focus they need." Wizel declared. "It's better if I just stay in here."

"If that is your wish." Cocoon sighed.

"I'm sorry, sister." Wizel apologised.

"So am I..." Cocoon declared.

The present...

A tear escaped Wizel's eye. Even after all those years, the memories of those days was still so sharp in his mind.

The news that Char was leading a group to find their lost members instilled a brief feeling of hope in Wizel that Hazel could be returned, if not undamaged, than alive. Alas, those hopes were dashed when Char and his group returned. Char didn't want to reveal the grisly details, greatly disturbed himself by the circumstances, but Wizel insisted he do so.

The details of Hazel's death were awful indeed; She had been beaten and tortured within the inch of her life. That part sadly wasn't so surprising to him... however, what was surprising was the fact that the captors actually ganged up and violated her repeatedly, even after she had succumbed to her injuries. It was truly sickening... but the nail in the coffin was the fact that foul words had been carved into her body, the dried blood around them indicating that she was still alive when they were carved, with words such as "vermin", "bug", "monster"... and ultimately, "whore".

Wizel had to fight down the bile building up in his throat as he heard the description, and judging by Char's ill expression, so did he. To this day, he kept telling himself that the ponies only did what they did out of fear of something they did not understand... though a part of him knew that no good pony would dare go as far as to rape carcasses. This was a hate crime committed willingly by ponies, and all Wizel could do to cope was stick to the ideal that not all ponies were like that.

Char, of course, thought differently... very differently. It lead to an argument that ended with Char not talking to him for weeks (months even). Since that day, Wizel knew that he had not only lost his mate... but he had lost the respect and possibly love of the one he raised. For a brief, shining moment, it seemed like Wizel had everything... but it had all been taken away on account of one dark encounter. Though he found the strength to return to his position beside Cocoon, Wizel found a melancholy cloud hanging over him. For the first time, he had seen how dark life could truly be, and it was painful. The loss of Hazel cut deep, leaving a wound that would never fully heal.

Those feelings were briefly diverted by the loss of Cocoon, with Chrysalis taking the throne. The death of his sister took Wizel's mind off Hazel for a time, as he worried about what would become of the hive under its new and inexperienced leader. But as he watched Chrysalis grow into her role as Queen, Wizel knew Cocoon would be proud. With those fears assuaged, his thoughts settled back on Hazel, and the pain started anew.

Fortunately, all was not lost, as on the meantime, Wizel found a new Changeling to adopt, the tiny Sazh. Having another son to raise helped take Wizel's mind off the pain of losing Hazel. But thoughts of avenging her still ran in his mind constantly... Despite what he told Char, a part of Wizel wanted to ensure Hazel's killers got what they deserved.

He struggled with those feelings for years, before finally deciding to act on them, if nothing else, than for his own peace of mind. So he met with Count Napoleon's son, Embezzlement Napoleon, who had recently taken over from his deceased father.

Flashback...

"So, what's going on?" E (as he liked to be called) inquired. He had his father's coat, but a rust brown mane, and blue eyes. His Cutie Mark was of a legal document, almost torn in two. He and Wizel had met a couple of times beforehand, while Wizel attended to Napoleon business.

"I need your help finding some ponies." Wizel declared. "A gang of thugs from out of Saddleton. They killed my mate, Hazel, and several others of our kind."

"That's rough, pal." E declared. "And after all you've done for the fam, I'd be more than happy to help. But I'm going to need something to go on if you want those guys found."

"Consider it done." Wizel declared, produced a sheet of paper. "I got some facial descriptions from the survivors of that day. It should help."

"It will." E nodded, taking the paper. "I'll have my boys look into this, and let you know soon. And Wiz? I'm sorry for your loss."

"As am I." Wizel sighed.

The present...

Unfortunately, by then, most of the thugs had passed on. After all, it had been over forty years since that day. But E's sources managed to track down the last surviving thug on the list; An Earth Pony by the name of Hammer Hooves.

Flashback...

Wizel made his way to Hammer's address.

'This is it.' He thought. 'I will finally avenge you, my dear Hazel. There may only be one of those monsters left, but I will make sure he suffers pain worthy of all those who escaped my wrath!'

Seeing only a single shadow behind the house's window, he made his move. He went in through the back door, ambushing the occupant from behind.

"Vengeance is mine!" He roared.

The room's occupant turned around, revealed to be a very old, raggedy stallion bound to a wheelchair.

"Ah!" He yelped in a raspy old stallion voice.

"...Hammer Hooves?" Wizel asked disbelievingly. Many years had passed in the interim, but he didn't expect his final target to be so decrepit.

"Um...that's me..." Hammer whimpered, "Wh-who are you?"

"Who I am is not of your concern." Wizel shook his disbelief. "I am here on the behalf of those Changelings you and your gang attacked all those years ago."

"...Um, which Changelings?" Hammer asked, "'Cause I hafta admit, we attacked a lot of those bugs back in my days. You all look pretty much the same."

"Oh, really?" Wizel growled. "Well one of them wasn't like the others... there was one Changeling that you fiends had tortured and violated for your own amusement..." Wizel stepped forth. "Her name was Hazel... does that ring a bell?"

"Hazel... Hazel..." Hammer mused. "It does sound familiar..."

"You don't even remember her, do you?" Wizel growled.

"I'm getting there." Hammer shrugged. "My memory isn't what it used to be..."

"That's no excuse." Wizel growled. "You know who Hazel was? She was my mate!"

"Your... oh no." Hammer gulped.

"Oh, yes." Wizel snarled. "You took her, you violated her, and you left her corpse to rot. The Changeling I loved most, subjected to such torture, all for your amusement!"

"But... I..." Hammer spluttered.

"Did it never occur to you that she had loved ones?" Wizel asked, his anger growing. "Those who loved her as much as she loved them? Well, did you?!"

"N-not really." Hammer cringed.

"Exactly." Wizel growled, barely able to contain his fury. "You thought she was just a 'thing'. Some nameless, faceless creature with no past or family that you could brutalise and murder. Well, you were WRONG!!"

"I... I didn't know. I didn't-" Hammer suddenly coughed mightily, his body heaving with each hacking breath.

Wizel's zeal faltered. Hammer was clearly very old and sick. And in spite of all the rage inside, he couldn't just go and beat the living crap of an old stallion, as evil as they may be. There was an honor code for crying out loud. He couldn't possibly go through with this..."

"...Please don't hurt me." Hammer begged. "I'm old. Feeble. It wouldn't be fair!"

"Fair?!" Wizel scowled. "You killed my mate. My fellow Changelings. Don't you dare speak to me of what's fair!"

"I-I was young and foolish back then!" Hammer protested. "I fell in with a bad crowd. They made me do it!"

Wizel was at a loss for what to do. Despite his need for justice, killing an old, feeble pony didn't sit right with him. And if what he said was true, then he would just be killing some hapless follower. On the other hoof, all the other tormentors of his wife were dead, and willing or not, this was his only chance at ever having closure. It was supposed to be justice, but it didn't feel like it at the moment. Wizel felt like if he killed this defenseless old stallion, he'd be no better than he was back then. But he needed to make him pay for the loss of his beloved Hazel. The inner turmoil was almost too much to bear. As he tried to come to a decision, he saw a tape recorder on a table nearby.

"What's this?" Wizel asked.

"L-leave that alone!" Hammer said suddenly, noting Wizel's gaze.

"Why? What's so important about it?" Wizel asked.

"It just is. Leave it!" Hammer barked.

Ignoring the old stallion, Wizel pushed the Play button.

The sounds of anguished pain filtered through the speaker.

"No, please!" A female voice cried, almost devolving into incoherent sobbing. "Stop!"

Wizel froze, recognising the voice.

"Hazel?" He gasped.

"Don't do this!" Hazel begged, as she let out a wretch... Wizel could only imagine what was being done to her right at the moment.

"Quiet, bug." A gruff, scratchy voice, similar to Hammer's, sneered. "You're getting what you deserve. You filthy vermin shouldn't even be alive..."

There was a dull thud, and Hazel cried out in pain once more.

"We're gonna crack that shell wide open." The young Hammer said with undisguised glee. "I always wonder if 'traumatic insemination' is really as big with the bugs as they say it is."

"Ahhh!" Hazel screamed, her voice nearing bloody murder. A bunch of grueling noise ensued, and it was best not to imagine what was going down at the moment. Wizel, his hooves shaking, quickly shut off the recorder, trying to shake those screams from his head.

Then, with a demonic glare, he glanced at Hammer.

"It didn't sound like you were being forced into anything." Wizel snarled. "You were clearly enjoying it."

"I... I..." Hammer trembled.

"And you even kept this recording all these years." Wizel noted, his hoof clutching the recorder tightly. "Revisiting a old triumph? Or something to get off to? Well?" His voice grew steadily more angry. "Answer me! ANSWER ME, DAMMIT!!"

"Okay, you got me..." Hammer admitted, as he adopted a snide toothy grin. "I helped kill your mate, and I loved every minute of it... but don't get so high-and-mighty about it. You Changelings are just as bad, feeding on love, turning ponies into worn-out husks... You're the real monsters in this world. We're just defending ourselves."

"But I happen to know not all ponies think like you." Wizel declared.

"They're the exception that proves the rule." Hammer snorted. "At the end of the day, our two races will always hate each other. Always kill each other... nothing's ever going to change."

"You're wrong." Wizel declared, shaken by his words.

"Am I?" Hammer smirked. "You came here to kill me, didn't you? Go ahead, do it. Heck, you'd be doing me a favor."

"I would, wouldn't I?" Wizel said coldly. "Which is exactly why I won't kill you."

"Huh?" Hammer gaped. "But I killed her. Aren't you gonna make me pay?"

"Fate already beat me to it." Wizel sneered. "Look at you. You're a crippled, broken down shell of a stallion, and judging by the lack of pictures...no family or friends. No punishment I could dream up could be worse than this. I think I'll leave things as they are, safe in the knowledge that every moment you live like this is almost justice enough for me. Almost..."

"That's it?" Hammer asked.

"Actually, no." Wizel said, a disturbing smile on his face. "I have a little... parting gift for you."

Quick as lightning, Wizel suddenly bit Hammer on the neck.

"Ahh!" He yelped. "What the-?" He suddenly felt something burning under his skin. "Yahhh! What's going on?!"

"We Changelings have a little known ability." Wizel explained. "We can inject our prey with venom that does not kill, but burns scathingly under their skin. And that's just what I did to you."

"Why, you..." Hammer seethed in agony. He reached out to grab Wizel, but fell off his chair, still in great pain.

"Now that is justice." Wizel smirked. "I think I'll take my leave now, safe in the knowledge that you will die a slow and painful death. And I'll take a little souvenir, too..."

Wizel took the recorder off the table.

Wizel left the house, the decrepit former thug writhing on the floor, struggling to reach out to the old Changeling... but the elder Changeling was already gone.

Later, Wizel returned to his room. Suddenly, he broke into tears, the reality of his situation falling upon him. He'd gotten his revenge, but it didn't bring Hazel back. He was still alone...

"Wizel?"

Wizel turned to see the young Sazh before him.

"Are you okay?" The young one asked.

"No." Wizel sighed. "I'm not."

"Cheer up." Sazh smiled. "It's not that bad, is it?"

"I'm afraid it is." Wizel declared. "It's bad, and very painful."

"But at least you've got me." Sazh smiled. "I'm here for you, Wizel. Just like you were there for me."

Sazh hugged him.

"...Thank you, Sazh." Wizel said, touched. "You don't know how much this means to me."

"I think I do..." Sazh grinned, as Wizel returned the hug.

The present...

Thanks to Sazh, Wizel came through his post-revenge depression. Ultimately, by not killing Hammer, Wizel had proven himself better than him. Knowing how compassionate Hazel was, he had a feeling she'd be proud of him.

Life went on in the hive. But as time passed, they found themselves facing more attacks from ponies, who had become more and more driven in their attempts to drive them into extinction. After the attack on Canterlot, Wizel knew things couldn't go on the way they were going, with Chrysalis continuing her hate-filled vendetta against ponies.

So, Wizel thought up a plan that was so crazy, so asinine... that it... might... work.

Flashback...

A number of Changelings officials gathered in the court for their annual discussion about the coming year. Wizel, of course, joined them, sitting in a corner. As the meeting went underway, he pretended to doze off. Then, using his magic, he angled a window so a ray of light shone down on him (on the second try; the first veered off to the side).

Suddenly, Wizel's eyes darted open.

"Horrible, horrible things are going to happen!" He gasped.

"Wizel!" Sazh yelped.

"What's wrong?" Chrysalis asked.

"They are going to happen to you!" Wizel pointed at one Changeling. "And you!" To another Changeling. "And you!" Yet another Changeling. "...And you!" He finally pointed to Chrysalis, much to her horror. "Whoa, nelly!"

Wizel collapsed onto the floor and began rolling back and forth.

"Sazh!" Chrysalis gasped.

"Changelings of the hive, heed this warning!" Wizel cried, while spasming. "Racing Unicorns! Griffons with three wings!" Suddenly, the old Changeling began spinning around on the floor. "Whab-whab-whab-whab-whab-whab..."

"Somepony do something!" Char yelled.

"Beware! Beware!" Wizel darted upwards. "In our darkest hours, all will be lost, unless a wizard with the blood of Starswirl the Bearded pumping in his VERY veins cometh, falling from the blue skies, to defend us from our impending doom! He will save us all!" Wizel gasped, as he then fell back down. "Believe me! Believe me!"

"Uhh... I'll handle this." Sazh cringed. He rolled the convulsing Wizel in some drapes and rolled him out of the room.

As Sazh did, Wizel snapped back to sanity.

"Thanks for listening." Wizel nodded.

"What... in Fauzzzt buck wazzz that about?" Char asked.

"Starswirl the Bearded?" Chrysalis frowned. "Isn't that the name of a pony that founded our ancestors?"

"And proceed to try to keep them imprisoned?" Another chimed up, "I think so."

"Maybe we zzzhould check on Wizel." Char remarked.

"My thoughts exactly." Chrysalis nodded.

Outside, they found Wizel, "recovering" from the experience.

"Wizel, what was that?" Chrysalis asked.

"I think... it was a vision." Wizel declared. "A prophecy."

"Wow..." Sazh gasped.

"Prophecy? It wazzz nonzzzenzzze!" Char snorted. "Like the Changelingzzz would ever want or need the help of a pony!"

"Char has a point." Chrysalis sneered. "Ponies have caused us nothing but trouble."

"But if it was a real prophecy, maybe that will actually happen." Sazh declared.

"Yes, perhaps there is truth in those words." Wizel declared. "After all, clashing with ponies seems to have gained us nothing of late."

"This time." Chrysalis snarled. "Next time, they won't be so lucky..."

The present...

Wizel recalled how he did all could to spread the prophecy around the hive. With the exception of Sazh, most of the Changelings refused to believe it could be true.

He would admit, he could have done it without the 'pretend' freakout, but he had to make it sell somehow. Unfortunately, it ended up with most changelings coming to him for his 'prophecies', and he had to half-flank it most of the time so that his big prophecy didn't get any more discredited.

Over the years, things had gotten worse for them, culminating with the failed attack on the Crystal Empire. Changeling moral had never been lower. Wizel sought to remedy things, using his cunning and disguises to put together a meeting to negotiate peace between Changelings and ponies. While he was worried when Chrysalis threatened to take Prince Shine as her love trophy, ultimately, his plan worked, and there was peace between them at last. With the ponies' behest, the Changelings moved to a new hive, and things started looking up for them.

But then came Red Eclipse, and with him, the Changelings darkest hour. Wizel recalled fearing the worst.

'Those were dark times, alright...' He thought.

Fortunately, Sleight arrived soon after, ironically fulfilling the terms of the prophecy. While not having a good start, he eventually succeeded in driving Red Eclipse off. The prophecy Wizel had faked had surprisingly come true, and none were more shocked (and delighted) than Wizel. As the new King, Sleight led them into a new era of prosperity.

'I never imagined the prophecy could actually come true.' He admitted to himself. 'But I'm so glad it did.'

Of course, not all Changelings were so glad. One in particular was livid...

'Ah, Char...' Wizel thought. 'I never imagined you could fall so far, so fast...'

Wizel made his way to the dungeons, where Char was being held after his attempted attack on Canterlot.

"I'm here to see Char." He told the soldier stationed outside the dungeons.

"Very well, sir." The soldier nodded. "Some company might do him some good."

"How do you mean?" Wizel asked.

"He's been refusing to feed or bathe this past week." The soldier told him. "He just sits there, staring into space."

"I see." Wizel frowned. "I'll go have a talk with him."

Wizel's voice hid the concern he felt for Char. It wasn't like him to just give up like that. He had hoped the talk they'd had after Char was imprisoned (which focused heavily on "change") might have gotten through to him, but it was looking like it hadn't.

"Hello, Char." He declared, as he reached Char's cell.

Char did not respond; He was sitting in a corner of the cell, facing the wall. Wizel glanced around the cell, noticing the meal the guards had brought lying on the floor, untouched.

"Not hungry, are we?" Wizel asked.

Again, Char did not reply.

"Char, please talk to me." Wizel urged. "I want to understand how you're feeling."

"Now, you care about me?" Char spat.

"I always did." Wizel declared.

"Yeah, right." Char sneered. "Ever since we lozzzt Hazel, you've been puzzzhing me away."

"What?" Wizel asked. "What are you talking about?"

"Do you even know what day is it?" Char snarled.

"...It's Tuesday." Wizel pointed out.

"It'zzz the day Hazel wazzz taken!" Char roared. "And mozzzt likely, the day zzzhe died! Did you forget?"

"Of course not." Wizel frowned. "I will never forget that day."

"Neither will I." Char noted. "That wazzz the day everything changed. The day you zzztarted puzzzhing me away."

"I never-" Wizel started.

"Don't pretend it didn't happen." Char scowled. "After that day, thingzzz juzzzt..."

"Just what?" Wizel asked.

"...Nothing." Char turned away. "Juzzzt forget it."

"Please, tell me." Wizel urged. "I want to know."

"...Fine. When you took in Zzzazh, I felt like... you had replaced me..." Char confessed. "That you didn't need me any more, and decided to get a new protégé."

"What?" Wizel said, aghast. "How could you even think that? I never said-"

"I didn't think I needed to azzzk." Char scowled.

"Char...I didn't realize..." Wizel shook his head. "I wasn't trying to replace you... if anything... I thought you didn't need me anymore. After that fight we had...I felt that you wanted nothing more to do with me..."

"Wizzzel... you raizzzed me like a zzzon." Char began, turning to face him, his eyes burning fiercely. "In fact, you raizzzed me to be a defender of this hive. I wanted you to be proud of me... to zzzee how you made me into thizzz Changeling... but all you cared about was them... thozzze poniezzz... in zzzpite of everything they had done to uzzz... to me... and to you..."

"That's not true." Wizel shook his head. "It's not..."

"Do you zzztill have it?" Char asked. "That wretched tape?"

"...Yes." Wizel admitted. It had been years, but he still kept the tape among his belongings. He never listened to it, of course, but he held onto it, as a reminder of the dark side of life.

"How izzz it that you could zzztill defend them... ezzzpecially after hearing what they did to her?" Char asked.

"They were just one group." Wizel declared. "We can't judge all ponies by them... And besides, we must be ready to forgive..."

"...Have you forgiven them? The onezzz who murdered Hazel?" Char asked.

"Well, I..." Wizel muttered, caught off guard by such a question. "I... I haven't." He confessed. "I've never been able to forgive those monsters, nor have I forgotten what they put Hazel through."

"Then why-?" Char started.

"Not all ponies are the same as those who took Hazel from us." Wizel declared. "Each one is different, with their own strengths and flaws. You cannot judge an entire species by the actions of a bare few. Look at Sleight. He isn't a warrior, but his cunning and skill with cards makes him the equal of almost any foe. Not to mention his kindness and compassion. That speaks well for ponies, in my opinion."

"Well, you have not seen the things I had seen, Wizel." Char snarled. "Becauzzze in thezzze five yearzzz, I have seen nothing but the worzzzt. I've zzzen poniezzz cheating each other, zzztealing from each other, forcing otherzzz out of their homezzz, and even killing each other over the mozzzt trivial of matters... and you juzzzt want me to act like none of that matterzzz? You're wrong! It doezzz matter! It alwayzzz matterzzz..."

"I know it matters." Wizel admitted. "But that's not what matters most."

"It doezzz to me." Char spat. "And what matterzzz mozzzt out of all that izzz that one, awful day... the day I allowed them to take Hazel away from us..."

A tear fell from Char's eye.

"...You never forgave yourself... did you?" Wizel frowned.

"...No." Char shook his head. "No, I haven't..."

"Char, what happened to-"

"Don't zzztart with me, Wizel." Char cut him off. "I know what you are going to zzzay. But honezzztly, who elzzze is there left to blame? Because I can't blame the ones who dragged me away when Hazel was taken, you won't blame them... far azzz I can tell... I'm the only one at fault here."

"Don't be ridiculous." Wizel told him. "There was nothing you could do. I never blamed you for what happened that day."

"It doesn't matter, anymore." Char simply curled up, facing away from him. "I already lozzzt everything. I lozzzt Hazel, I lozzzt you, I lozzzt my job, my friendzzz, my rezzzpect... I have nothing left... so pleazzze, leave me be..."

"For now, I shall." Wizel sighed. "But I'm not giving up on you, Char. I've never stopped believing in you, even in the worst times. I know you can get past this. All of it."

"That makezzz one of uzzz." Char huffed. "Now, juzzzt go away."

Wizel left the dungeon, his hopes dashed.

'Char... If only you could overcome your resentment, and move forward.' He thought. 'I can only hope that one day, you find it in yourself to do so. Until then, this hive will never truly be at peace...'

Months later...

Some time after that, Equestria had been besieged by Red Eclipse (now going by his true name, Black Knight Paladin). Queen Chrysalis had been captured, and Sleight was forced to run for his life. When the Napoleons lit up a beacon calling for others to fight, Wizel knew they needed Char to join the battle. Char, more than willing to join the fight against their former tormentor, rallied the other Changelings to battle. In the clash but followed, he even saved Sleight's life. After seeing the King in battle, Char had started to change his opinion of him, and in doing so, earned his freedom and good standing among the hive, of whom he was willing to rejoin as a productive member.

Presently, Wizel was standing before Hazel's grave.

"Hello, darling." He smiled. "I know it's been a while since we last talked, but things have been quite busy as of late. We faced a great evil alongside the other races inhabiting Equestria, working together as one. It was a wondrous thing to behold. I just wish you could have been there to see it."

"You're not the only one."

Wizel turned to see Char nearby.

"Hello, Char." Wizel declared. "Come to pay your respects?"

"Yezzz." Char nodded. "And not juzzzt to Hazel. I owe you an apology, Wizel. I've rezzzented you for zzzo long, when all you've ever done izzz try to help me."

"It's okay." Wizel told him. "You had your reasons."

"Terrible reazzzonzzz." Char sighed. "I don't know why you put up with me..."

"Because you're like a son to me." Wizel smiled. "That will never change. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't approved of some of your actions over the years, but I'll tell you one thing... you made me proud back there. You defeated your worst enemy... yourself. I couldn't be prouder of you... my son."

"Thankzzz.... dad." Char smiled.

"And I know Hazel would be proud of you, too." Wizel added.

"And you." Char grinned.

The two stood over Hazel's grave, remembering all the happy times they spent with her, and each other. The darkness in Char's mind had finally lifted, and he was ready to move on with his life. Wizel knew this, and he was proud of his adoptive son. He placed one hoof on Char's shoulder in a sign of fatherly pride. Char returned it with a loving smile.

Things had never looked brighter...