• Published 30th Oct 2015
  • 1,248 Views, 51 Comments

Dinky Doo and the Quest for the Sacred Treats - PaulAsaran



Too sick to protect Ponyville, the Paper Knight sends her noble squire Dinky to find the Sacred Treats before Nightmare Moon arrives to eat all the foals of Ponyville. A true Nightmare Night legend!

  • ...
3
 51
 1,248

Part V: Curse of the Timberjack

What had once been a pair of travelers had now blossomed into a merry band of eight, led by the brave Paper Squire and her wizard guide, Marelin. Having collected the Sacred Candied Carrots and Macaroons of Chocolaty Glory, they continued onward to the nearby Orchard of Shadow. Infested with malicious vampire fruit bats and brimming with deadly, ripe fruit bombs, the companions made sure to keep their distance from the ominous trees. All save the witch And, who was known as a friend of the orchard and knew no fear of its many dangers.

At the edge of the orchard did the party find the third Hero of the Kitchen, a massive stallion known only as the Red Knight, keeper of the Sparkling Fruit. Yet when the Paper Squire explained her quest in honor of her glorious mother, the Red Knight offered not his Sparkling Caramel Apples.

Tom Dumb and G’rain the Adventurer leered and threatened the mighty knight. He would not budge.

The witches Anti and Ben threatened to curse the knight, and Marelin foretold of the doom of Nightmare Moon. Still, he would not budge.

The Paper Squire entreated the Red Knights honor, and begged his assistance in the name of the Paper Knight, with whom he had fought alongside in many an honorable battle. Yet even so, he would not budge.

Only then did the witch And approach, and she did reveal herself to be his youngest sister, lost through the years in her search for her missing Mark. So overjoyed was the Red Knight at the meeting of his sister that he did at last reveal the truth to her companions: it was not that he wouldn’t grant the heroes his boon, but that he could not. Only the Red Knight’s sister knew the secret to activating the magic of the Sparkling Caramel Apples. Yet on this darkest of nights she was nowhere to be found, for the wicked powers of Nightmare Moon had beset the mare, who had thus been transformed into the hideous Timberjack. Fearing the scorn of her kin, the Timberjack had fled into the Orchard of Shadow, perhaps never to return.

Disturbed by this news, the witch And swore to find her sister and bring her home. Determined not to let their friend enter the ominous woods alone, the Paper Squire and Pip the Pirate promised their aid. Yet the Orchard of Shadow intimidates even the bravest of ponies, and none of the squire’s other companions dared to enter, not even the witch’s sisters. Even Marelin could provide no aid for this mission, for the wood drained her magic and rendered her helpless.

So it was that the Paper Squire, Pip the Pirate and the witch And journeyed into the dark orchards together. Though the Orchard of Shadow permits no light into its grim territory, the witch And knew the land as did none other than her beloved sister, and so she led the way into darkness.

Ominous was the wood that night, with deadly explosive fruits hanging over our heroes’ heads and the peering gazes of the vampire fruit bats threatening possible attack. Yet the witch walked with courage and confidence in every step, and her manner did bolster the hearts of the squire and pirate. She led them around gremlin nests and slumbering cider snakes, and made sure to steer them clear of the most-certainly haunted house visible through the thin trees. Of this the Paper Squire was most pleased, for there lived the cantankerous green Elder Pony that may or may not cook tender young fillies in her cauldron for presumably stealing her rusty horseshoe.

As the moon continued to rise, the trio did hear a sad howl, accompanied by the whining of some beast within the orchard. Though their hearts did tremble, they followed this sound to discover none other than the hideous Timberjack, a half-pony, half-wood monstrosity of bramble, claw and fang. When they approached, the wretched creature hid behind a tree, its body fraught with shivers.

“Timberjack,” pleaded the witch And, “what is wrong with you? Don’t you recognize your long lost sister?”

The Timberjack peered from around the tree, which the Paper Squire and Dreaded Pirate agreed was a bit too small for the occasion. “Apple Bl—I mean, Ben?”

At this query, And was taken by a fear so great she stomped and sobbed. “Has the curse made you forget your sense, too? I’m And!”

“Oh, uh, right. I knew that, yes ma’am.” The Timberjack’s eyes darted about. Pip the Pirate, fearing this to be a signal to summon her timberwolf friends, readied his blade.

Yet he was stilled by the reassurance of the Paper Squire, who approached the hidden creature. “Please, Miss Timberjack, won’t you come out? Your sister has missed you, and your brother is scared, and we can’t give the Sparkling Caramel Apples to Nightmare Moon! We need you, Miss Timberjack.”

But the Timberjack refused this call, knowing that her appearance was hideous and she would be feared. “There is no love for a monster like me!” she cried in the night, and her howl did send creepy crawlies up the heroes’ skins.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” pleaded the witch. “You’re my sister, and I’ll love you no matter what you look like.”

“Is that so? Then prove it.”

Thus did the Timberjack step out from her hiding place, revealing a creature beyond the Paper Squire’s terrible imaginations! Long were its claws of timber and adhesive; mangled was its face of bramble and leaf; unnatural were its growths of wood and cord! Its green eyes did shine like the flames of changelings in their caves, and within its orange muzzle shone fangs of the most deadly plastic. So vicious was its visage that the Paper Squire and Dreaded Pirate did hide from the sight behind the one thing in all the land that stood without fear: the good witch And.

“You see?” lamented the Timberjack. “Look at how scared they are! Why, there’s more fear for me than mud on a pig’s back!”

“There ain’t no mud on Piggington,” And proclaimed. “I washed her myself this morning.”

“I think you’re missing the point, Sugarcube.”

“No, I ain’t!” And And did approach her fearsome sister and embrace her, a sight that left Pip the Pirate green. “I don’t care what ya look like on the outside, and neither will our brother. You come on home. I bet Marelin will even have a cure for ya! And if not, so what? Winona could use a playmate.”

Touched by this showing of acceptance, the Paper Squire approached the pair. “You are scary, Miss Timberjack, but you’re a good monster. Maybe if you show the other ponies how good you are, they won’t be afraid of you.”

A powerful emotion settled upon the poor creature, who proceeded to embrace the witch and the squire, to the momentary horror of the pirate. But when she released them, safe and sound, and revealed the tears of hope in her eyes, even the Dreaded Pirate Pip admitted that the beast was good, and put away his weapon. With the Timberjack becalmed, they returned to the edge of the Orchard of Shadow to meet their companions and the Red Knight, who held the creature the moment she appeared.

Upon securing Marelin’s promise to seek a cure for the Timberjack’s lamentable condition, the creature proceeded to enchant the Sparkling Caramel Apples, which were then gifted to the Paper Squire and her companions by the eternally grateful Red Knight, and there was much rejoicing.

Yet this cheer lasted not, for the Paper Squire’s quest was yet to be fulfilled, and two more Heroes of the Kitchen Table remained. The witch And rejoined her small coven, but swore to return to her loving family as soon as the Paper Squire’s quest had been completed. Respecting the witch’s determination, loyalty to her sisters and honesty to the Timberjack, the Red Knight chose to bless her with yet another boon: the famed (and freshly baked) Holy Fruit Bombs of Antitrot, their very fillings crafted from the delectable electric apples of legend.

With these fresh armaments and the sacred bounty collected, the heroes now depart on their journey to the fourth Hero of the Kitchen.

Author's Note:

Using Timberjack seemed so obvious to me for this section that it felt almost criminal not to do so. Also, I am aware that And's name can cause confusion. I like it that way.

The Red Knight = Several characters bore this title in Arthurian Legend, most prominent being Sir Ironside, the Red Knight of the Red Launds, who starts as a villain but later become a Knight of the Round Table.