• Published 3rd Nov 2015
  • 9,529 Views, 695 Comments

A Passing Through Kamen Rider - thunderclap



A young man goes to a convention and finds he has the powers of Kamen Rider Decade in a world of ponies and monsters. Can he rise up and fight evil?

  • ...
30
 695
 9,529

PreviousChapters Next
The Heart of the Matter

Day broke over the desert once more. There was still some of the chill left from the night, but that would quickly change as the sun continued to rise. Daring Do, explorer extraordinaire, felt the subtle change and cracked her eye open. The first thing that greeted her was the snoring face of her father, a dab of drool clinging to his beard.

“Morning to you too.” Grabbing his cloak, she wiped his face off. “Come on, we should get moving before the sun gets too hot.”

Agito groaned, weakly clutching at the cloak and shimmying out of his sleeping bag. “Ugh, I hate the desert. Next time, we're travelling to somewhere that's like home. Show you a proper luau.”

“What, they didn’t have sand back home?” Daring questioned, rolling up her sleeping bag. “Thought you had so much you had more than one word for it.”

“Yeah, we had a lot of sand,” he started, mirroring her actions, “but all of it was attached to the most beautiful waters you've ever seen.” Pulling his pack on, he flicked her ears. “And that’s Inuits and snow smartass.”

Daring chuckled and smirked at her father. “Is it? It's been so long since you told me I must've forgotten.” Whacking him with a wing, she began the first steps of the last leg of their journey. “You can remind me off all the other minutia I’ve forgotten over the years.”

“I really am glad I raised you as a single parent,” Agito grumbled, hefting his supplies. “If Dagi had been around you’d be even better at these passive-aggressive guilt trips.”

“Well, we’ll just have to make up for lost time is all.” Daring fluffed her wings, her eyes studying the horizon. “After we’re done here, we’re going to get her back. Whether she’s still alive or not, you owe her a ticket home.”

Running a hand through his hair, he let out a long sigh. “Yeah, least I can do for her is to give her a proper funeral. Still hoping she’s out there though.”

Daring nodded, offering him a smile. She let the topic settle there, focusing her efforts on the shifting sands. It had been a long journey so far; each step bringing them closer to whatever fate had in store for her. Sooner or later, she’d finally reach the bastard that took her parents from her. She shook her head, clearing her thoughts of the infuriating topic. She couldn’t let anger cloud her decision making.

After a bit of travelling, she could spy something in the distance. There weren't a lot of details she could make out, but she'd hazard a guess they were buildings. “I think we're about to arrive,” she informed, glancing back at Agito.

“Then we'd better be ready for more spirits,” he told her, looking out towards the buildings. “They might still be able to strike out during the day.”

Daring nodded, hoping to not have a repeat of that night with the horde. She grabbed a talisman out of her pack and resumed her prayers. The walk became a silent march, a thick tension building on the air. Nothing save for the occasional bird call and the whistling of the wind broke the silence.

When they came up to the buildings, they noted that they were partially buried in a foot of sand. The hollowed-out windows let them peer into what were once humble homes. Every surface of the interior had a generous coating of sand as well, betraying just how long since the houses had been in use.

“Spooky,” Daring muttered, stopping in front of what would have been a bakery. The carefully sloped oven in the back and petrified loaves of bread gave it away.

“Reminds me of one of those abandoned mining towns your uncle and I explored one summer,” Agito commented, picking up a broken piece of pottery. “Just replace the sand with coal dust.”

“Think they left because of the spirits?”

Agito turned the pottery in his hands, examining it. He stopped and stared at the faded surface of the hardened clay. “It’s that symbol again,” he noted, showing off the eye symbol to his daughter.

“I'll take that as a yes,” Daring grumbled, rubbing at her shoulder. “I say we look for some clues before heading on.”

Setting the piece of pottery down, Agito nodded and headed out towards another building. The next building was in a similar state, a layer of sand covering everything. Objects were strewn about, indicating something had happened. But what struck him as odd was that there was no signs of skeletons. Judging by the level of sand build-up and the climate, there was no way the bodies would be reduced to dust by now.

“A bit too eerie for me,” Daring commented, fluffing her wings. “The Tartarus happened here?”

Agito put his hand on a table, his eyes scanning over the building. “There’s signs of struggle, but we haven’t found any bodies yet.”

“That's what bothers me.” Daring stepped back outside, a strange sensation passing her as she moved through the threshold. The day was gone, replaced with the stillness of night. High in the sky loomed a blood moon, its crimson rays illuminating the otherwise bleak village. “The buck?” she muttered, recoiling at the sight. “It was the middle of the day a second ago.” Her mind raced, struggling to find an answer to her situation. The princesses weren’t ones known to shirk their schedules for no reason.

An oppressive dread hung over the village, throwing up every alarm bell Daring had. She shot back into the building to alert her father. “Dad! You’ve gotta see the sky right now! Something’s wrong!” Her heart sank as she found no trace of him in the building. “What the buck is going on?” She scrambled into her pocket, pulling out a talisman and started to pray furiously.

Tense moments passed, followed by minutes. Nothing broke the quiet beyond the buildings creaks and the wind. Heart pounding, Daring stepped towards the door again. Cracking it open she peered out. A cold fear seized her; her gaze returned by that of a pale mare, her eyes black as pitch.

Daring kept her hand on her talisman, silently hoping the ghostly figure wouldn’t be able to move closer. She wanted to pull away, but something about the cold stare froze her in place. A yelp issued from her mouth as the spirit phased through the door, grasping hand swiping at her chest.

“Really wish I had Dad’s sword right now!” she boomed, desperately trying to move her wings. The appenages twitched but otherwise refused to obey her commands. “Why the buck can’t I fly?!” she cried to no one in particular, dodging another swipe from the ghost.

“Flower... Why did you leave me?” The spirit whispered, fading in and out of sight. “Come back to me...”

Daring had no idea what the spirit was talking about, not that she was in the mood to ask anyway. While the ghost was faded out of existence, she charged past it and through the open doorway. Her heart sank as soon as she returned to the abandoned streets; in the corners of her eyes she could see the flickering forms of more spirits.

“Shit!” Daring hissed, glancing between the spirits. Judging by their attire, they had to be the townsponies. A few noticed her, making their way forward. The closest, a unicorn in blacksmiths garb, swung a ghostly hammer at her side. Her head swivelled, trying to find an escape route. A nearby alley stuck out to her and she ducked into it.

Down another block, and she lost whatever spirits were chasing her. “Faust! This is all so fucked!” Slumping against a wall, she took a few minutes to compose herself. She kept her ear out, not wanting to get caught unaware. Her mind reeled, trying to understand her situation. The red moon obviously had something to do with her missing father, the trouble was figuring out how.

She poked her head out, finding several ghosts shuffling around the streets. Luckily, none seemed to have sight of her. “Okay, calm down. Think logically. There’s a curse, which means that you must have gotten pulled into some other, ghost-powered dimension or something. Shoulda studied magic more.”

If this were another situation, she might laugh at the irony of her life. She had made a career of finding ancient magical artifacts while barely knowing the basics of magic. Now though? She wanted to focus on living rather than spotting irony.

Pushing away from the wall, Daring made her way down some back alleys. Her steps faltered, as she she came across the remains of a campsite around an old well. Her pupils contracted, sounds and images assaulted her awareness. Two ponies, a mare and stallion she recognized as her parents seeming excited about something. There was another figure there, one that reminded her of Ahuizotol. Except, where Ahuizotol was built for stealth and running, this being was sturdier and had the physique of a bodybuilder.

“-Can’t believe we found it!”

“This will change everything.”

“Si, we still have enough supplies-”

Daring stumbled back, shaking the vision from her mind. The past was alive here, waiting to jump at anyone receptive to it. She spun around, making sure none of the spirits had snuck up on her. Nothing seemed amiss, her racing heart settling as much as it could.

“Faust damnit. I hate this place,” she spoke under her breath. Steeling her nerves she moved into the campsite, searching it for anything useful. A lot of the site had been torn to shreds. Some coils of rope had survived whatever had happened there. An old backpack caught her eye, hidden in the tattered remains of a tent. She grabbed it, planning to carefully look through it where she wasn't out in the open. It had heft to it, filling her with hopes that there might be something of use within.

A moan sounded behind her, an icy hand grabbing her wing. “The ritual... the ritual failed...” a stallion whispered in her ear.

Daring had to fight back a scream from the contact, uselessly swinging the backpack in the direction of the specter while she attempted to run out of his grasp. “Get off!” Pain erupted from her wing, several feathers drifting to the ground as she pried herself free of the ghost. She took off, not knowing where she wanted to hide but knowing she wanted to be anywhere other than there.

Ducking into another home, she let herself sink to her knees. Adrenaline pounded in her eyes, her coat drenched in sweat. She had no idea how long she could evade the spirits. There was no telling where they'd attack her from. Her last run in was proof enough of that.

“What happened to this place?” Slapping a talismen onto the door frame, she slumped against a wall. “That spirit said something about a ritual failing.”

Was the ritual somehow important? The other spirits who had talked had yet to say anything relevant. But ancient rituals were right up her wheelhouse. It had to be something related to the Arisen. All signs pointed to whatever the Tartarus that was. All she had was snippets of information. The ghosts weren't making information gathering easy. Borderline impossible really.

What she needed was a way to find the ruins her parents were looking for. Moving the bag to her lap, she opened the flap and began to dig through it. After pulling out old clothes and other bits, her eyes lit up when she felt her fingers brush against paper.

“Research notes,” she said, flipping through the pages. Recalling her dream, she figured they were written by her mother. The first page or so was filled with what little she already knew, allowing her eyes to simply drift over the text.

The information flowed off the page, recounting how they had found hints of the Arisen in an old market in Saddle Arabia. Someone named Camazotz traveled with them, an old friend from their expeditions to Southern Equestria. The notes detailed that back when Maresopotamia was in power, devotees to the Arisen were numerous. There were also rumors of a ritual for one to become the Arisen. The specifics varied, but all of it followed a single throughline. The one slated to become the deity would face the brink of death if not death itself.

“Answers some questions at least.” Putting the notes back into the bag, Daring thought for a moment. “Okay so, Arisen ritual goes wrong, wipes out the village and makes a bunch of angry ghosts.” She rubbed the back of her head, dots slowly connecting in her mind. “Question is, how to make them go away.” Nothing presented itself, leaving her with just the talismans and her prayers.

Outside, she could hear the distant groaning of the specters. Some started moving closer, making it hard to focus. “They can’t get in,” she reminded, pressing her ears to her skull. She needed to move. Staying in the house wouldn't solve her problem. Even with the talisman, she didn't want to be surrounded. If only they were the ones boxed in, not her. Her eyes lit up, hands going to her pockets to count up her talismans.

Only three left. “Shit!” she cursed, moving back to the door to peek out. There was one hovering down the alley, but it seemed to have passed by her without noticing her. She removed the talisman from the doorframe of the house, she’d need it if her plan had any hope of working. Stilling her breath, she crept onto the street and headed for the outskirts of the town. She could hear the ghosts all around her, head whipping to avoid what had happened at the well.

“Almost there,” she muttered to herself, paranoia oozing into her mind. Every little sound brought a new fear, every moan sounding right in her ear. She came to the first corner of the town, and she slapped it to the wall facing the desert. She moved on, weaving from alley to alley to avoid being on an obvious path. She continued her odd process, her last three talismans going on the other corners of the town.

Her heart lifted, seeing the number of buildings thinning out. Putting on a burst of speed, Daring made a mad dash for the city limits. “Alright, if I did this correctly, those things won’t be able to follow me.” She stepped out into open sand, ready to think over her plans with some peace. Only to enter the same way she had just left. “What?!” she cried, her heart sinking into her stomach. “What just happened?!”

“You can’t leave this place, Daring Do. No one can. Not until the ritual is complete.”

The voice made her fur stand on end. The accent was one she could place instantly. “You, you’re the one who got my parents out here, aren’t you?”

“The spirits follow my orders, Senorita, especially those that I have sacrificed.”

“Is this all so you can be this Arisen thing?” Daring asked, turning every which way in a vain hope to find the owner of the voice. “And you brought my parents into this?”

“They were offered up by destiny, I could not deny it.” A ghostly hand clasped around her mouth, a skeletal form appearing before her. “And now, my dear, we move to our shared fate. With your heart, I shall rule over all spirits.”

Daring wanted to scream, but the hand on her mouth prevented even a squeak to escape. She struggled to break free, but the skeleton held on with unnatural strength. Her breath caught as the skull leaned in close.

“All is as it should be.”


“Daring!” Agito leapt onto the roof of the tallest building he could find, sweeping his gaze around the village. Hours had passed since Daring Do had vanished into thin air. Hours of fruitless, desperate searching.

He grit his teeth, panic threatening to rob him of his higher thinking. Some magical force had to have been behind it, but he hadn’t seen any of the telltale signs of traditional teleportation. She has to be somewhere, he thought to himself, clenching a fist.

He jumped down, planning to search the town one more time. He'd find her, even if he had to tear the whole town apart one brick at a time.

“Senor! Senor!” A spanish accented voice called, breaking the quiet. “Please, I must talk to you!”

Agito took the presence of another living being about as well as a shark reacted to blood. Faster than the eye could see, he had summoned his sword and had put his hand onto the large figure's throat. “Where the fuck is my daughter?!”

“P-please, Senor! I cannot help you if I am dead!” the figure pleaded, holding his hands up.

Agito studied the figure for a moment, recognition hitting him. “Ahuizotl. How are you involved in this?”

Ahuizotl took a few calming breaths before speaking. “M-my Padre. He is no longer among the living. I don’t know what he is but he marked Daring Do for sacrifice.”

Agito's pupils contracted into pinpricks at the news, his sword finding its point near Ahuizotl's throat. “Take me to him or you're going to be neutered, pussycat.”

“Si, si!” Ahuizotl nodded, glancing down at the blade. “I have no intention of allowing him to take Daring Do’s life. Of this, you have my word.”

Agito dismissed his sword, scoffing at the feline. “I've heard about your run-ins with my daughter; you never seemed hesitant about taking her life before.”

Ahuizotl lowered his arms, sighing in relief. “I have never put her in more danger than she can handle. I have never had the intention of hurting your daughter.”

Agito managed a dry laugh, motioning for the cat-man to start walking. “Okay, and what were your intentions?”

“I uh... wish to court her...”

“Word to the wise: death traps and siccing wild cats on a girl might be the wrong vibes to send her if you want to date her.” Agito adjusted his cloak, barely reacting to the odd news. “Cultural thing, I assume?”

“Si,” Ahuizotl replied, the hand on his tail clenching and unclenching. “Ever since she first bested me, I am honorbound to make her mi amore.”

Turning away, Agito grunted. “We can talk about it later. Take me to her, now,” he ordered, taking his cloak off. “Before you join your padre in the afterlife.”

“Si.” Ahuizotl nodded, silently leading the man towards the heart of the town. When they made it to the well, the cat reached down on the ground and grabbed a hidden handle. With a mighty heave, he pulled open a door to reveal a set of stairs leading down into darkness. “The temple rests under the sands.”

“Of course it does,” Agito grumbled, summoning his sword again. He ignited it, creating a makeshift torch to fend off the darkness. “Lead the way.”

Ahuizotl nodded, slowly walking down the stairs. The air grew colder the deeper they walked into the temple. A shift occurred as they followed the shaft down into the earth. The air took on a grey haze, and the sound of chanting wafted up to them. Agito urged Ahuizotl to go faster, his sword seeming to part the haze around them.

“How much further?”

“Not much,” Ahuizotl answered, speeding up to a near run. “Based on the chanting, we are running low on time.”

“Ahui, hijo, you’re right on time.” Dozens of ghostly arms erupted out of the ground, grabbing and clawing at Agito. “Come then, both of you. See the dawn of the new era!”

“You’re not laying a hand on my daughter!” Agito boomed, struggling against the hoard. Icy hands grasped his limbs, raising him into the air. A spirit quite like Ahuizotl rose out of the ground, the arms sprouting from her back. She wore elaborate robes, the symbol of the Arisen branded onto her forehead. Agito struggled, trying to position his sword to get a hit on the priestess. Unfortunately, the spirit had an iron grip, preventing him from so much as wiggling.

“M-madre?” Ahuizotl whispered, watching as the spirit floated past. He followed, feeling the tears flowing down his face. “What did he do to you?”

The spirit gave him no answer, slowly floating deeper into the temple with Agito in tow. Keeping Agito restrained, it entered into an antechamber. Decorated into ancient murals and lit by purple flamed candles, it reverberated with the sounds of the chanting.

“Bring them,” the voice from before called, beckoning from the door at the end of the room.

The spirit opened the door with her ethereal tail, leading Agito into a grand chamber. More murals and candles lined the walls, the vaulted ceiling carrying the chanting so that it sounded like it was coming from everywhere at once. A yawning chasm lay before them, surrounded by hundreds of spirits. A platform stretched out over the abyss, holding up a slab of rock. A skeletal figure was on the platform, wearing the same robes as the spirit restraining Agito.

Besides him stood the figures of Daring’s parents. Hidden Sign stood to the left, her upper half bare; fur stained with an eye-bending tattoo. From the waist down, she bore the same robes. Gordian Knot stood on the right his mane floating in the air behind him. Ropes dangled from his robes, vacant eyes staring at the slab.

“Bring him close, my dear Chihopotex,” Camatotz ordered, gesturing with a bony hand. “Let him see every detail.”

Agito renewed his struggling when he saw his daughter bound to the slab, her eyes glazed over in a haze of what could barely be called consciousness. “You bastard! You better hope I don't get free!”

Camazotz held up his hand, stepping in front of the slab. “That’s close enough. Ahuizotl, hijo, come to my side.”

Ahuizotl complied, looking down at the slab with a sense of apprehension. He froze as Camazotz held out a dagger.

“As I said, hijo, the honor of craving out her heart is yours.”

Ahuizotl recoiled, regarding the dagger as if it would burn him. “Padre, I cannot do that.”

Scoffing, Camazotz shoved Ahuizotl into the sea of spirits. “You have no vision, Ahuizotl. Your heart latched onto one whom was always doomed.” Brandishing the dagger himself, he held it high above Daring’s chest. The spirits’ voices rose in crescendo, sound bouncing off the walls.

Agito's struggling reached a fever pitch, his eyes locked on the tip of the dagger. A piercing cry tore from his throat as the blade dropped down and stabbed into Daring’s chest. “I’ll kill you!!”

His anger rose, his limbs finally succeeding in twitching against his captor. He was too late, Camazotz held up Daring's heart. All strength left his limbs and a soul crushing despair gripped his heart. A sob choked in his throat, his swords disintegrating.

“With this, I will be Arisen!” Camazotz boomed, putting Daring's heart in his own rib cage. His ghostly aura flared out, consuming his body. A deep rumbling shook the cavern, a vortex opening below the platform. “Destiny is mine!!”

His joy was cut short as his aura turned black. His form and robe twisted, becoming something close to what Agito recognized as Kamen Rider Ghost’s armor. Although, the bottom half of the mask was nonexistent, the horn on it was cracked and its tip broken off. The robes were in tatters and a skeletal design was along the armor. “The ritual! The ritual was tainted!” Camazotz warbled, clutching at his head.

“Senor!” Ahuizotl pushed through the throng of spirits, his eyes on Agito and Chihipotex. “You have to fight! We cannot allow him to leave this place!”

“Fight?” Agito repeated, his fists clenched so tight that a thin line of blood could be seen trickling down his palms. “I'm not gonna fight him; this'll be a slaughter.” Summoning his halberd, he stabbed the back blade into Chihopotex’s stomach. The spirit let out an unearthly moan, releasing him to the ground. With a quick movement he landed on his feet. Creating another sword, he tossed it to Ahuizotl. “Use it.”

Ahuizotl caught the sword, spinning on his heel and cutting into the crowd of spirits. “I'll take the crowd, you avenge your daughter.”

Agito didn't need to be told twice, launching himself at the shrieking Camazotz. The two collided, tumbling down the pit at the center of the chamber.


A serene peace washed over Daring as consciousness returned. Sound was sharper, colors brighter. Sitting up, she found herself sitting on a couch in a rather familiar home.

“What the?” Daring asked, her mind fuzzy. She couldn't remember much, her last memory being something about a desert. “Where am I?”

“The realm of the dead,” Hidden Sign replied, carrying over a tea set. “I’m afraid you’ve fallen to Camazotz’s schemes.” She sat down, pouring three cups of tea.

“Camazotz?” Daring repeated, working the word around in her mouth. She shot up, her wings flaring. “That's right! That asshole stabbed me!”

“He cut your heart out,” Gordian Enigma corrected, taking a seat next to Hidden. “I’m sorry, Daring. He has us under his thrall, we couldn’t stop him.” Putting his arm around his wife, he pulled her close.

Daring crossed her arms over her chest, blowing her bangs out of her face. “Well, I don't normally expect much from ghosts. No offense.”

Hidden sighed, lifting her tea cup. “Daring, we love you. We’ve always loved you. If we could have been there for you we would have.”

“We trusted Camazotz, he was an old friend,” Gordian said, nuzzling Hidden’s head. “We should have seen it when we started excavating the town. This place changed him. I’m sorry.”

“Things worked out well enough,” Daring replied, pacing around the room. She looked over the various photos from her parents’ excavations. Turning back to them, she frowned. “I apologize. It wasn’t your fault. I know how getting betrayed goes.”

“We've seen,” Gordian answered, sipping his tea. “That old adage about your loved ones watching over you? Turns out it’s true.”

Getting to her hooves, Hidden made her way over to Daring. Wrapping her arms around the younger mare, she nuzzled her head. “You’ve grown into a fine young mare. You grew up with a loving father and I’ll never be able to repay him for that.” Stepping back, she took Daring’s hand. “And it’s because of that, we can stop Camazotz.”

“Last time I checked, dead mares without a heart weren't capable of much,” Daring replied, looking at her mother in utter confusion.

Setting his tea cup down, Gordian joined Hidden at Daring’s side. “The final sacrifice needed something very specific.” He placed a hand on Daring’s chest. “A heart full of bitterness and all the baggage that comes with it. It’s required for the Arisen to soothe those emotions in the spirits of the recently departed. It’s always something you didn’t have.”

“Without it, the ritual failed,” Hidden concluded, squeezing her daughter’s hand. “We’re all so tired, Daring. We’ve only been trapped for a few decades, the other spirits have had to endure centuries.”

“Uh huh, and what does a heart filled with daddy issues and broken relationships do?” Daring questioned, looking between her parents.

“A new pact, Daring. Between all of us trapped spirits, and you. We can give you the power to fight him, to free us.” Leaning forward, Hidden planted a kiss on Daring’s head. “Take your heart back and you can live again.”

“Before I do that, there's something I want to do while I'm in the land of the dead.” Daring took her mother's hands and took a deep breath. “I'm going to find Uncle Kuuga and talk to him. And I'll even bring back a message for other dad from him.”

Gordian smiled, shaking his head. “Daring, your uncle isn’t here.”

Daring blinked owlishly, staring blankly at her father. “What?”

“He hasn’t passed on,” Hidden clarified.

“Again, what?” Daring tried and failed to comprehend the message.

The two hugged Daring, taking in the feeling for just a moment. “You have to go back now, Daring. Your father needs you.” A soft glow concompased them before transferring to her. “Reignite his spirit.”

“Wait, before I go.” Daring took a deep breath, returning the hug. “I love you both.”

“We love you too.”


Agito twirled his halberd, his arms moving in a blur. He was on the defensive, blocking a flurry of punches from Camazotz. The broken Ghost howled in fury, bringing a fist down on Agito’s halberd.

You interfered! She was meant to be a bitter, hollow person! You denied us both our destiny!

“Shut up!” Agito barked, skidding a couple feet back. “You took my daughter from me! There's no destiny in that!”

She was never supposed to be yours!” Darting his tail hand forward, he slashed Agito across the chest. “You shall serve me for all eternity, never knowing rest!” This close, Agito could hear the sickly beating of Daring’s heart.

The sound sent a fresh wave of adrenaline surging through him, an idea striking him. He charged, feinting with his halberd while his hand drifted to his pocket. When Camazotz went to block, Agito's hand shot out from his pocket and a talisman found itself on the spirit's arm.

Camazotz snarled, ripping the paper off his arm. “Paper will not give you a reprieve.

Agito grunted, twirling his halberd. “Fine, an old-fashioned ass whooping is more satisfying anyway.” He brought it low, swinging at Camazotz’s legs.

The “Ghost” jumped out of reach, hovering in the air. He swooped down, kicking Agito in the head. His tail trailed behind, plunging his dagger into Agito’s shoulder. “Your death will be slow and agonizing. I shall savor every moment.

Agito grit his teeth, his shoulder feeling like it was on fire. He dropped his halberd, crouching into a stance. “You know, I made a promise a long time ago. To use my abilities for myself. Now's the time to do that.”

Floating over the chasm, Camazotz growled. “You will fail, cretin. I will have my vengeance upon you, now and forever. Bound to my will til the end of time. Gordian, Hidden, come to me!

The two spirits floated down, their expressions hollow. At Camazotz’s word, they lashed out at Agito. The man spun around, light appearing from his waist as a belt spun and formed on him. He brought his hands down on the two buttons on the sides. “Henshin!”

The center jewel of his belt glowed, spreading out over his body. The light solidified, becoming armor. The chest was modeled to cover the top half of his torso and was a brilliant gold color. The undersuit was black and stuck close to him. The helmet had horns that resembled a beetle's and the red eyes seemed to have compound lenses.

Ah, I sense divine essence inside of you. Perhaps that is what will complete me. Restrain him!

“Sorry ‘bout this.” Agito reared back and punched the attacking ghosts. Hidden retaliated, flying right into Agito's chest. He stumbled, a creeping chill clutching at his heart. He threw another punch, though it passed right through her head. Gordian slipped in next, crashing into his head.

Thus is the fate of all those who interfere with destiny.” Camazotz lowered himself to Agito’s level, brandishing his dagger. “I want you to scream nice and loud. Let my ungrateful son know what will befall him.

Hands off my dad,” A familiar disembodied voice said. A form barrelled into Camazotz, an ethereal fist impacting the back of his head.

What? Daring Do? You should be under my command!” Camazotz roared, his head whipping around.

Spirits didn’t like that you didn’t deliver, so they made a deal with me instead.” Daring hovered behind him, her wings flared out. “You’ve been fired, Camazotz, which means I’ll be taking that heart back.” She smirked, her hands going to her waist. The air shimmered for a moment, an ornate belt appearing with wisps of spectral energy coming off it. In place of a buckle, there was a snow white and dried out gourd, the hiragana for “sealing” etched on it in black.

“Daring...?” Agito stared in disbelief, his eyes drifting to the belt. “Guess it runs in the family.”

I got it from my dads,” she joked, waving her hand over the belt. Energy flowed from the gourd, wrapping around her hand. It morphed and shifted until it took the shape of a mask. A kind that Agito recognized instantly.

“Is that, a tiki mask?” he asked aloud, staring at his daughter in disbelief.

Guess it is.” Daring brought the mask to her face, feeling the rush of power. Blue and red energy swirled around her body, obscuring her in a mini-whirlwind. “Let’s see what it does!

Red and blue lightning arced around Daring, the wind flaring in and out for several moments. It eventually constricted, consuming the mare while she stood peacefully in the eye of the storm. When it cleared, she was standing in snow white armor.

Around her neck was a lei, the flowers frost blue and pale red. A similarly colored shawl hung off her right shoulder, hanging down her chest and partially obscured a blue kimono that hung down and went down one leg. The undersuit was white, the symbol of the Arisen on her chest where her top split. Her exposed leg had flowing lines and designs etched into the armor. Finally, her helmet was fairly simple: round with two circular eye portions that were connected by a small bridge with a red flair coming off the top and hanging down to her shoulders.


Passing her hand over the gourd again, she drew out another cloud of energy. It formed in her hand, becoming a leiomano. Brandishing her new weapon, she swung the oblong club ringed with shark teeth at Camazotz’s chest. “So, what do you think of the real Arisen?” she challenged, enjoying Camazotz’s cry of pain.

You are no such thing!” Camazotz took his dagger in a main hand, the weapon transmuting into a broken and chipped version of Ghosts Gan Gun Saber. “I have done everything the spirits required! Why should they bestow their blessing onto you!?

Because I intend to let them pass on peacefully,” Daring answered, dodging a slash from the corrupted feline. She brought her weapon up again, aiming for where her heart would be. “Something you refused to allow!

Camazotz tried to block the attack, reacting just a little too slowly. He hissed in pain, floating back from her. “You cannot defy destiny, girl! You and your heart belong to me!” Raising his sword, he slashed at her neck.

Daring moved her neck to the side, narrowly avoiding the attack and retaliated with a punch to his stomach. “I never bought into destiny. I make my own choices. Even if they can be shitty.

And yet you bear the mark of destiny on your flanks!” Camazotz grabbed her arm, bringing his elbow down on it. “What will be, will be, Daring Do.
Daring cried out in pain, jumping away from Camazotz. She tested her arm, sighing in relief. She had lucked out, her arm hadn’t been broken. It still hurt, but she’d still be able to use it. It struck her just how out of place the worry was, blocking another swing. She was still a ghost. Then again, her opponent was a ghost too. She put the training her father had given her to use, bobbing and weaving to avoid a series of slashes from Camazotz.

Agito stayed on the platform, having shifted into his flame form. Sword in hand, he kept Hidden and Gordian at bay with deft movements and gleaming steel. “Ahuizotl! You still alive!”

“Si senor!” Ahuizotl called back, his fur marred by several cuts and patches of dried blood. “It will take more than this lot to kill me!” He ducked under a flurry of grabbing arms, thrusting his sword up to ward off Chihopotex. “Please forgive me, Madre.”

She did not answer him, her expression not even giving the hint that she could comprehend what her son was saying. Her multitude of arms merely continued their assault. He tucked and rolled, avoiding a slash that would’ve taken his head off.

“Daring, I know you’re having fun, but please remind your date you have places to be.” Agito ignited his sword, slashing through Gordian’s abdomen. Smirking under his helmet, he fought the urge to smirk. “Take your heart.”

Kicking Camazotz over the hurricane of ghostly energy, Daring held her club above her head. The gourd on her belt opened once more, unleashing a torrent of power. “I’m no one’s sacrifice, asshole!” Charging forward, she knocked Camazotz’s blade to the side and dug the shark teeth into his shoulder. With a snarl, she tore down and left, ripping him open from shoulder to hip.

Tell Izanami I said ‘hi’.” Reaching into his gaping chest, she seized her heart and deftly removed it.

Camazotz cried out, his body cracking as energy leaked from his chest. The vortex beneath him shuddered, the very walls of the temple rumbling. Floating over to her body, Daring thrust her heart back into her chest.

You’re free, every last one of you!” The heart pulsed and beat faster and faster, a light filling her body. The voices of the spirits rose up once more, reaching up towards the ceiling. Chunks of rock plummeted from above, purple lightning lashing out from below. “Go now, to your final rest!

A shockwave exploded from Daring’s body, passing over the throng of spirits. The chanting reached a zenith and with one last tremor, the ceiling broke. Long-abandoned buildings tumbled into the abyss, massive pieces of rock plummeting alongside. As the temple settled, glorious sunlight filled the chamber, bathing the spirits in its warm rays.

Their eyes all finally had expression in them, their bodies floating up and fading from sight. There was a chorus of gratitude from a multitude of languages as the crowd disappeared. Eventually, only three remained. Chihopotex and Daring’s parents.

Daring took a gasping breath, bolting upright and patting at her chest. Her wound had been closed and a quick check of her pulse confirmed that her heart was indeed still beating. “That was...something...” she spoke, her voice shaking.

Good job, honey,” Gordian told her, his arm around his wife.

We knew you could do it,” Hidden added, beaming with pride at her daughter. “You’re twice the mare I was at your age after all.

Agito dismissed his armor and moved to Daring’s side. “I did my best,” he replied, pulling his shirt off and offering it to Daring. “I couldn’t let a lost little filly grow up without family.”

Gordian smiled, turning his gaze to Agito. “And we could never thank you enough. Though, there is one thing we can offer you. Daring, care to tell him what we explained in the land of the dead?

Slipping Agito’s shirt on, Daring held in a complaint about the lack of wing holes. “Dad, Uncle Kuuga’s still alive.”

Agito took a step back, utter disbelief crossing his features. “What? But that’s impossible. I saw him die right in front of me.” A weakness overcame Agito, bringing him to his knees. “The Amadam. How the fuck did I forget about that?”

Fear and grief are notorious for blinding us to the obvious,” Hidden told him, putting a hand on his shoulder. “But, he was on death’s door quite a few times while he healed. During our time in the land of the dead, we ran into some humans that talked our ears off about the great Kuuga.

“And what did they say?”

That his body lies untouched in a tomb on the human continent,” Gordian explained, his smile holding up. “The people we ran into bemoaned having no idea what could wake him. Even when he drifted partially into the land of the dead, he was asleep.

Hidden wrapped Daring in a hug, planting a kiss on her head. “I wish we had more time, Daring. We’ve been delayed for far too long. It’s time we moved on. But don’t worry, we’ll always watch over you.

Except in times of privacy.” Gordian’s smile turned cheeky. “We’re not peeping toms.
“It’s okay,” Daring started, wiping tears from her eyes. “This is way more than I’ve ever hoped for. Rest well, mom and dad. I’m sure I’ll see you again someday.”

The pair embraced her one last time before they dissolved into light that floated into the sky.

Hijo,” Chihopotex started, staring up at Ahuizotl with a hard to read expression.

“Madre.” Ahuizotl sniffled. “I-I missed you so much.”

Do not cry, I was with you always.” She smiled for a moment before her tail hand lashed out and tugged on his ear. “And I cannot believe what I have seen. My precious hijo, some common thief?

“Madre, I am no common thief!” Pulling his head away, Ahuizotl clasped his ears to his head. “I am a treasure hunter.”

Who steals!” Chiho barked, her tail flexing behind her. “I raised you to be a noble warrior, not some fool with hopes to rule the world! Where did I go wrong, hijo? Where?

Ahuizotl looked away, cowed by his mother’s anger. “Please, Madre. You must understand...”

Oh, do enlighten your mother. Tell me what could justify your deluded ambitions.” A critical look overtook her face, her arms crossed over her chest.

Daring had to stifle a laugh, loving every second of watching her rival be reduced to a whimpering child by his mother. “I’ve never seen him so pitiful before.”

“That’s the power of a disappointed mother,” Agito whispered, suddenly wishing he had popcorn. “Something you were spared.”

“I didn’t start with the ambition to rule the world,” Ahuizotl protested. “I only strove for that because I thought it was the only thing worthy of fulfilling the demands of our people’s courtship rites.”

Chihopotex smiled, sending a glance at Daring Do. “She is a very pretty senorita. Shall I go talk to her, Ahui?

“Madre no,” he replied, tinges of pink breaking through his dark fur. He cleared his throat, switching to his native tongue. “I can win her heart myself, mother. Just as I intend to present her something worthy of her as our ancestors demand.

Giggling, Chihopotex kissed his head. “I know you’ll win her heart, Ahui. Just make sure you clean up your act.” She kept her smile, fading away into light.

Ahuizotl sighed, a wistful smile on his face. “Goodbye again, madre.”

A hand on his shoulder roused his attention. He looked up to find Daring offered him a small smile. “Hey, I know what it’s like to lose my parents. And um, I’m sure it was hard to go against your dad like that.”

Turning away, Ahuizotl shock his head. “No, Daring Do. Mi Padre was always broken.” He blushed at the touch, something he was sure Agito noticed. “I had no intention of following his plans.”

“Then I guess just this once, thank you,” Daring said, removing her hand and turning on her hoof. “We’ll be back to our usual routine after this.”

“I look forward to it,” Ahuizotl muttered, watching the pair leave. He stared after them for a few moments before turning his eyes back to the chasm. “I hope in some way, padre, you found peace.” A glint caught his eye, and curiosity got the better of him.

He looked over the chasm, making sure he’d be able to climb back up before simply dropping down. Quickly moving to the bottom, he surveyed where he had seen the glint. A sliver of grey caught his eye, sticking out from what was left of a window. He reached out, pulling the object out and examining it. It was odd, almost resembling an eye with a hollow pupil and a black handle tipped with orange coming off the side of the object.

“What are you?” he whispered, unaware of the eyes watching him.


Midnight swiped at the tablet, looking at the diagnostics on the screen. “Vitals are stable. Temperatures a little high...” Placing her tablet down, she stepped over to a small console built into a large, see-through tube.

A young boy floated inside, various tubes and wires hooked into his body. Uncut green hair floated behind him, several scars maring his purple skin. The sight of him in this state always broke her heart, but she put on a brave face regardless.

“Hi Spike,” she greeted, making quick adjustments to the conditions of the tube from the console. “I’m sorry I don’t have the big good news for you yet, but I’m still working.” Nodding in approval, she put a hand on the glass. “Flurry should be walking soon, she’s almost as big a trouble maker as you were.” Her smile faded and she caught herself. “I mean are. You’ll be awake soon. Just like I promised.”

“And how many times have you said that? I imagine someone like you keeps track,” Emperor Zero spoke, pulling her attention away from Spike.

“Emperor Zero, a pleasure,” she lied, bowing her head to him. “What brings you to my personal lab today?”

“One of my spies brought something to my attention,” Zero replied, gazing around the lab. “Something with the ability to restore life to the dead.”

Midnight went rigid, the news striking her like lightning. She fiddled with her hands, nervous energy filling her. “Oh really? And why would you tell me about this, Emperor? Has our Great Leader come to give me a mission to retrieve this for him?”

“I haven’t deigned to tell him yet.” Lifting up a beaker, he swirled the contents around. “I thought you might make better use of the information. As long as you’re willing to... share some information of your own.”

Midnight wasn’t stupid, she knew Zero was trying to play her. However, given what was being offered, there was no way she could pass up on it. “What do you wish to know, Emperor?”

Turning his attention to her, he beamed ear to ear. “Tell me, Midnight, what does our glorious leader have in store with that medal?”

Author's Note:

For those of you having trouble picturing Daring's new weapon.

PreviousChapters Next