• Published 3rd Nov 2015
  • 9,499 Views, 695 Comments

A Passing Through Kamen Rider - thunderclap



A young man goes to a convention and finds he has the powers of Kamen Rider Decade in a world of ponies and monsters. Can he rise up and fight evil?

  • ...
30
 695
 9,499

PreviousChapters Next
Party Crashers Pt. 1

“Okay, let's go over what we know.” Twilight pushed the final pin in, stepping back to look at her work. “Dai-Shocker is headed by Somber Shield, who is an alternate universe Sombra. Someone named 'Lord Drakkon’ sent a monster to attack Fillydelphia and some dragon named Calamity gave those medals to Lightning Dust.”

The board in front of her was a web of string, each leading to a villain they had encountered. She had even taken the time to get renderings of each one.

“It doesn't take a genius to know ‘Kalameet’ and 'Calamity’ are similar names, but Kalameet is confirmed to be dead...” Twilight rubbed her chin, placing her hand on one of the eggs.

Wyatt looked over the board from his seat on the couch, his body covered in bandages. “And judging by that sniper and monster, Drakkon is connected to Power Rangers.” Rubbing where the brunt of the vault door had hit him he added, “Make a note of this faction's monsters being annoying.”

“Noted.” Twilight nodded, levitating a quill over to the board, Twilight scribbled for a moment. “You know, I'm surprised we haven't encountered another Displaced in a few months. Have you found anything that might be a token?”

“If I had then I’d have heard one of those messages play,” Wyatt pointed out, letting his eyes close. “Who knows when we’ll run into someone next? Not like I’m in the shape to host guests right now.”

“Aww, does that mean you want me to go away?” Pinkie’s voice chimed, forcing Wyatt to open his eyes. When he did, Pinkie’s smiling face dominated his view. “Hi, WyWy!”

“Hi Pinkie,” Wyatt said, forcing himself to sit up. “How are you today? Did that cake order for Roseluck turn out good?”

“Are you implying that I would ever make a bad cake?”

“No, but I do know you keep a list of the best cakes you’ve made,” Wyatt replied, poking her on the nose. “Did it make the cut?”

“Well, I didn’t have a chance to come up with a way to improve it before it went in the oven, but I think next time she orders a cake I’ll try slipping some nutmeg into the batter to see if that makes a difference.”

“By the way, where does the cake you made for my birthday rank?” Wyatt questioned, quirking a brow. “It did make the list, right?”

Twilight cleared her throat while tapping her quill against the board a few times. “It’s not that I don’t want to know about the various cakes you’ve made and how they rank, Pinkie, but Wyatt and I were in the middle of an important discussion about the recent attacks, as well as a couple other things. Did you have another reason for stopping by, or was this just a ‘for fun’ visit?”

Pinkie mouthed, ‘oh’, spinning on her hoof to face Twilight. “Sorry Twi! I got distracted. Maud came to visit me in my super secret party cave and handed me something she found. It started talking in my head and my ears twitched and I sneezed five times super fast. That let me know that I needed to go see Wyatt and hand it to him.” Turning back to Wyatt, she held out a small trinket. “She’d have given it to you, but she said something about, ‘Making memories with Trixie’. Which is weird because she’s never asked anyone to help her when she made Gaia Memories before.”

“What would only four sneezes have meant?” Wyatt was careful as he reached out to take the trinket from Pinkie, as he noticed it had some fragile-looking designs coming from the part Pinkie was holding.

“Oh no, Twilight would be angry if I made you picture what four sneezes means, especially considering how easily she gets jealous lately.” Pinkie giggled while letting go of the crystal figurine, then started skipping towards the door. “Have fun you two!”

“I do not get jealous easily!” Twilight called after Pinkie, huffing when the only response she got was a distant giggle. Looking back at Wyatt, she examined the figurine. “It sounds like Maud found a token.”

Without Pinkie’s hand obscuring most of the figurine it was easier to tell that those fragile spikes were supposed to be the eight legs of a spider cut with a nearly-impossible level of detail out of a single, large, glowing indigo gem of some kind. The way Wyatt was holding it allowed his fingers to feel a recessed design on the underside of the abdomen while the embedded message played itself for him as well. “Well, it is some kind of rock, so her noticing an unusual one makes a bit more sense.”

“I’m a paramedic first and foremost, but that doesn’t mean I’m not prepared to fight. I’m more than willing to take a life if it will save more in the balance. Kolsen’shea orbb.”

“A drow elf?” Wyatt muttered, staring at the token. “That phrase is disconcerting. Probably shouldn’t summon them without a good reason.” Getting up with a groan, he put the figure on a shelf. “So, what were you saying about what’s on the board, Twi?”

“I was saying that we've got at least four factions,” Twilight began, pointing at the board. “Poseidon, Calamity, Drakkon and Somber. Of this, this isn't counting things like that giant spider-crab you fought in the desert.”

“That makes sense,” Wyatt agreed, standing next to her and looked over the board. “I think we can easily say that Calamity and Dai-Shocker haven’t had any significant contact.” He tapped at the two pins. “If Calamity has medals to hand out, then Lupin wouldn’t have been needed to steal some of Spike’s.”

“We can probably rule out Poseidon and Calamity working together. I doubt Poseidon would give out medals for anything other then getting Spike.” Staring at the associated pin she frowned. “I think he should be our next target. If he is Spike's father, he's family.”

“If that’s the plan then we’d need to talk to Celaeno about him,” Wyatt noted, turning his head towards her. “I bet she’d know where he’s holed up.”

“I know Spike will be happy about that.” Twilight shifted her gaze to another board, this one of riders. Her eyes lingered on the name Agito. “I still don't really understand him. He knows Equestria's in danger and he doesn't even offer his help.”

Sighing, Wyatt rubbed the back of his neck. “I don’t know how much room I have to judge. If it weren’t for you, I’d have given up my rider powers for good. A part of me wants to chew him out for abandoning his responsibilities, but it would just feel hypocritical and leave a sour taste in my mouth.”

Twilight sighed, turning back to him. “We'll just have to convince him to join up. We need all hands on deck.”

“All hands on deck?” Wyatt repeated, poking her cheek. “What, have you been watching navy movies on Kuuga’s laptop?”

Blushing, Twilight cleared her throat. “What, I can’t pick up new phrases? Maybe you’d like to hear the bit of draconic I’ve been able to pick up?”

“Lay it on me,” Wyatt answered with a grin. “You’re adorable when you share something you’ve learned with me.”

“I can think of a couple things I’ve learned that might go beyond just ‘adorable,’ but it’s a bit early in the day for those…”

Wyatt’s grin turned sly, and he slipped his arm around her waist to pull her close. “Too early? Sombra’s at school and Spike is running errands with Rarity. We might not get a better chance today.”

Clearing her throat, Twilight couldn’t keep the blush off her face. “W-well that’s not what I had in mind but since you brought it up...” Twilight lit her horn and brought over a cup. “I-if you don’t mind... I’d like to test human-pony....’compatibility’...”

“Okay, was that a line or are you asking to do an actual experiment on my junk?” Wyatt questioned, quirking a brow and keeping his hold on her. “Because I’m pretty sure those are 50/50 odds with you.”

Twilight snorted, her face turning a full on shade of red. “I-I’m serious! I’d like to know if foals are a possibility in our future...” She looked away, rubbing her arm.

Wyatt’s smile returned, and he gave her muzzle a quick kiss before taking the cup. “That is pretty important to find out. Alright, I’ll give you a sample.”


“Actually, that’s just the marker for where you go on to the next leg of the race.” Applejack sat the marker down, rushing over to a pile of eggs and spoon. “And here is the next part of the race! Normal three-legged races are too easy! So ya also gotta balance an egg on a spoon in yer mouth!”

Apple Bloom frowned, eyeing the spoon with more than a bit of skepticism. “That seems a little much, Applejack.”

“Oh come on, try it,” Applejack urged, holding out an egg and a spoon for her sister. “The challenge makes it rewarding.”

“But why in our mouths? If our legs are tied together in the middle it’s already challenging just to walk, and having to balance something on a spoon in our hands is going to be hard enough.” Babs crossed her arms over her chest, blowing her bangs out of her eyes.

Applejack chuckled, ruffling the filly’s mane. “It’s harder t’keep a grip o’the spoon with yer mouth. Gotta make sure this is the most exciting race yet!”

Apple Bloom and Babs shared a worried glance as Applejack began chattering about yet another part of the race. “I think your sister’s gone nuts,” Babs whispered, leaning in towards her cousin. “Think we can stop her while she’s like this?”

“Ah don’t think we can. AJ gets it in her head sometimes that she needs to run everything by herself to make it perfect. Think it has something to do with Mom and Dad bein’ gone.”

“Think she'd listen to Granny Smith?” Babs questioned, glancing back at her older cousin as she frantically zipped around the orchard to make her preparations. “Seems like a bad idea to just let her keep goin’ like this.”

“Ah dunno, Granny’s been actin’ strange since the other old mares arrived. Been all hush hush.”

“Apple Bloom, Granny's always acting strange,” Babs countered. “And we gotta try or else AJ might accidentally cause a disaster during the reunion.”

“Well, if think we should then we can talk to her when we’re done with this here race.”

Babs nodded, her and Apple Bloom walking over to the starting line of the race. The two tied Babs’s right leg to Apple Bloom’s left before getting into a runner's stance. They raced forward at the signal, heading to the front of the pack. The two didn't have to watch their hooves, they were just in sync. They could hear other racers stumble and fall behind them, but they didn't slow down at all.

Before they knew it, the duo found themselves in front of the pile of spoons and eggs from earlier. Deciding to play along with Applejack's rules, they each grabbed a spoon and walked carefully with the egg in tow.

“This is stupid,” Babs grunted, shifting her arm to keep the egg from falling.

“Just play along,” Apple Bloom replied, holding her spoon in her teeth. Another step and she tripped over a rock. “Okay, yeah, that was dumb,” she grumbled, the egg having broken on her head.

“And this is why I said this was stupid,” Babs said, helping her cousin up to her hooves. “Come on, let’s get you a new egg.”

“Nah, Ah don’t really feel like doing this whole anymore.” Kneeling down, she started to untie their legs. “Let’s go talk to Granny about all this.”

“First, let’s get you a towel,” Babs suggested, pointing Apple Bloom’s mane. “You don’t want that drying.”

“Right... right.” Apple Bloom nodded, moving towards the house. “All Ah wanted to do was spend some time with ya. Consarn it AJ! Why ya gotta be weird!”

“We are spendin’ time together,” Babs assured, putting her hands behind her head. “We just gotta get Granny’s help to make it so we can have ‘normal’ time together.”

Apple Bloom sighed, untying her bow. “She’s been weird for a while now. I think all this monster stuff is getting to her. ‘Specially after what happened in Fillydelphia.”

“Why is she worried?” Babs questioned, looking at Apple Bloom. “Those Kamen Riders have been kicking monster butt. Didn’t Decade save you once?”

“Yeah but, Babs, those monsters are dangerous!” Apple Bloom insisted. “The riders can’t be everywhere at once. What if they’re somewhere else and a monster attacks Ponyville?”

“Isn’t the Princess taking care of that with those teleporters?” Babs argued, opening the door for Apple Bloom. “I think you’re both just being paranoid.”

“You haven’t had one of those monsters holdin’ you by the neck,” Apple Bloom pressed, slipping into the bathroom and rubbing the towel through her mane. “These things are bad, Babs.”

Babs slide inside, putting her hands in her pockets. “It’ll be fine, Cuz. Ain’t nothing gonna
happen.” Perking her ears, she pushed the door nearly closed. “I think I hear Granny Smith.”

Apple Bloom put the towel down, flicking her ears to try and pick up on the sound. She went deathly quiet, not wanting to get caught eavesdropping.

“...We ain’t got no right to keep it from her,” Goldie Delcious spoke, her voice carrying through the halls. “We agreed to guard it, not to keep it from the Pies.”

“We ain’t lettin’ anypony in this family use that darn thing,” Granny argued, irritation replacing her usual jovial tone. “Fuji always meant fer it t’be a last resort when no one like Kuuga was runnin’ around. Last Ah checked, that er Wayne boy and Twibright were doin’ a fine job smackin’ monsters around.”

“We didn’t say anything about an Apple using it,” Apple Rose countered. “If Equestria needs it, I don’t think we have any excuse not to give it to Maud.”

“This all started from Fuji marryin’ a Pie,” Goldie Delicious started, “only makes sense t’let a Pie finish it.”

Granny Smith huffed. ‘Iffin’ they’re so worried about it, why don’t they go huntin’ down the one Snow Fameuse’s youngin’ done stole? Ain’t nopony seen that filly in years!”

“Mah daughter’s been chasin’ that filly down fer years,” Apple Rose scoffed. “If she couldn’t do it with a fresh trail, then Ah doubt they could do it now that it’s colder than a windigo’s breath.”

“Is the other one still safe?” Goldie asked, her voice full of concern. “You didn’t misplace it, did you?”

“It’s in a secret cellar door in the barn,” Granny answered quietly. “It never leaves there. Mah grandchildren have never found it. Ah checked on it today before the reunion started; it’s collectin’ dust like it always does.”

The trio went quiet for a moment before Apple Rose spoke up. “Something's bothering you, isn’t it, Smith? You don’t have to keep secrets from us.”

Granny Smith sighed, sounding more tired than Apple Bloom had ever heard before. “It’s that darn varmint Oni. He passed through Appleloosa not too far back and saved Braeburn from a heap o’ trouble.”

“Oh Ah know, mah little Brae has talked about that in a letter he sent t’me,” Goldie replied, sounding wistful for a moment. “But why’s that got ya like this?”

“He said... he said to tell me that Pear was sorry.”

“Grand Pear?” Apple Rose questioned, incredulity dripping from her voice. There was a pause, before the mare let out a long sigh. “Ah guess even the most pigheaded stallion in Equestria sees reason when he loses his daughter.”

“She ain’t his daughter!” Granny Smith snapped, her voice filled with enough venom to kill an Ursa. “She stopped being a Pear the moment he made her choose! I don’t care how sorry he is!” Her voice grew quiet, and Apple Bloom realised she was choking back a sob. “She wrote to him every day and he never sent anything back. Even after they stopped coming.”

“Smith, can ya say ya wouldn’t have done the same if Bright Mac had been forced t’make that choice?”Goldie pressed.

“Where you like it or not, Smith, the Pears are part of this family now. Those grandfoals of yours are living proof of it. They should be here, just like the Pie’s should be and like the Oranges are,” Rose added, “You can’t punish that whole branch just because of what the planter did.”

“The planter don’t want no part of us, so Ah’m simply returnin’ the favor,” Granny dismissed. “He’s the last thing we need among us right now.”

Letting the trio fade from her ears, Apple Bloom turned to Babs, an unsure look on her face. “Babs, w-were they talking about me?”

Babs’s eyes widened, clamping a hand over her cousin’s mouth. “Shhh,” Babs whispered, putting a finger on her lips. “We don’t want the old timers hearing us.” Her ears twitched, the sound of the old mares soon leaving her hearing. “Okay, I think we can talk now.”

The door suddenly opened, the trio of elderly mares popping into the room. “How much did you hear, girls?” Granny asked, looking between them with a stern expression.

Babs glared at Apple Bloom, but the other filly just shrugged. “What? We were coming to talk to them about AJ bein’ crazier than usual anyway.”

“Oh why are ya botherin’ t'ask?” Rose huffed, looking at Granny. “They obviously heard all o’ that.” She returned her attention to the fillies with a frown. “Y'all can’t go blabberin’ about any o’ this, understood? But ya can ask questions now that ya know part o’ the story.”

“Ah’m a Pear!?” Apple Bloom blurted out, staring at them with wide eyes.

“Yer half Pear, dearie,” Granny started, putting a hand on her granddaughter's shoulder. “Yer ma's real name was Pear Butter. She was the only Pear Ah ever liked before you and yer siblings came screamin’ into this world.”


Wyatt was sprawled out on the couch in the library, reading what he surmised was the pony equivalent of Sherlock Holmes. The character certainly had the skill of the detective he was familiar with. Almost an hour ago, Twilight had told him to keep himself busy while she studied the sample he had given her. A sample that was not as easy to produce as he had thought it'd be. Twilight standing just outside the bathroom and shouting “encouragements” definitely hadn't helped.

Things are gonna be weird for the rest of the day, aren’t they?’ Marking his place in his book, he closed it and put his hands behind his head. ‘Comes with the territory I guess. Neither of us are exactly experienced with this side of a relationship.’ Looking down, his thoughts turned to the subject of Twilight’s study. ‘More importantly, what are we gonna do if humans and ponies can’t mix?

He was drawn out of his thoughts as Twilight moved up from the basement. Pausing at the door, she used one hand to lift her goggles, the other holding a clipboard. “Well... I’m finished with my tests...”

Wyatt sat up, putting his book on the coffee table in front of him. “Well, what did you find out?” A knot formed in his stomach, her expression not instilling any confidence.

Twilight cleared her throat and peered down at her clipboard. “From this point on, if we decide to... ‘enjoy’ each other’s company, we’re going to have to be careful.” She looked away, her face feeling like it was on fire.

Wyatt’s face lit up and he shot over to her to hug her. “So it’s possible for us to have kids?!” he surmised, picking her up and spinning in place. “That’s amazing! Will they be fertile, or can you not tell just from this exam?”

“The tests were promising but the only way to really know would be to fertilize an egg, and I don’t know if we’re ready for another child,” Twilight explained, wrapping her arms around his neck.

“Still, this is incredible,” Wyatt said, putting her down but keeping the hug going. “It’s good to know that option is open to us.” Leaning down, he kissed her head. “I wonder if they’d just be ponies, like how Spike’s just a dragon?”

“Judging by your genes, a hybrid seems like the most likely outcome,” Twilight answered, a sense of relief spreading through her. “Your facial structure in particular seems to be a dominant set of alleles compared to that of a pony.”

“Good to know.” Wyatt brushed a hand through his hair. “I almost thought my hair was one of my best...” His sentence trailed off, gaze turning to the wall. A strange... feeling came over him, like the world around him was rippling.

“Wyatt?” Twilight whispered, putting one of her hands on his cheek to gently lead his eyes toward hers. “Are you okay?”

“I dunno. I think... I think something happened somewhere,” he tried to explain, finding that words failed to describe what he had felt.

“That’s really vague,” Twilight commented, her muzzle scrunching up. “Why do you think something happened, and what kind of something?”

Wyatt frowned, thinking for a moment. “The bad kind of something, Twilight.”

“Do you know where you think it’s happened?” Twilight pressed, slipping out of Wyatt’s grasp. “We should look into this to see if your feelings are accurate.”

“I think it’s near Aj’s farm,” Wyatt informed, summoning up his driver. “Let’s grab Spike and head over.”

“Wyatt, I don’t think it’s a coincidence we’d be given a token and then something happens, maybe…” Twilight looked over at the crystal spider that Wyatt had placed on a shelf. “Pinkie sense may need to be renamed to Pie sense.”

Nodding, Wyatt grabbed the figure and headed for the door. “Good idea, Twi. Now let's figure out if I'm turning into a psychic!”


Maud walked quietly besides her father, glancing at the stallion every so often. Finally having enough of the silence, she spoke. “I didn’t think you’d come personally.”

“Thou knowest how important Pies view family,” Feldspar replied, keeping stride with her. “Besides, I wish to see what Fuji created.”

“We’ve never been invited to an Apple family reunion,” Maud commented, returning her gaze to the path in front of them. Unlike some other small towns, Ponyville had yet to pave its roads. Her hooves strode on bare soil. Part of her was more than a little envious of Wyatt, as his ‘feet’ had feeling. What she wouldn’t give for her hooves to feel the touch of the dirt. She'd have to ask him in great detail what it was like, but for now she had other things to focus on.

“It matters not, they have not seen fit to bar us.” Feldspar adjusted his hat, his Kuuga emblem joustling against his chest. “Art thou sure the elder Apples are gathered?”

“I talked to Applejack earlier, she was positive they'd be here,” Maud assured him, trying to see ahead to the orchard. “I don’t think she knows about Fuji.”

“How odd,” Feldspar responded, scratching his chin. “Seems the Apples are more secretive than us Pies amongst family.”

Maud nodded, pulling the Joker memory from her pocket. “I worry that they won’t want to part with the belt or the seeds.”

“We can only hope they see reason, daughter,” Feldspar told her, adjusting his hat as they passed through the gate into the orchard proper. “Despite our desperation, we cannot resort to thievery.”

“I did not suggest we should.” Maud bristled under the insinuation. “We should talk to Applejack first. She listens.”

“I know, daughter, but in these trying times, even the purest of hearts can waver,” Feldspar warned, looking his daughter in the eye. “And I know few with a purer heart and dedication than thee.”

Maud nodded, her ego soothed. “Let me do the talking.” Sliping the memory back into her frock, Maud ranging the bell at the gate to the farm. “Your way of speaking is old.”

It was Feldspar’s turn to bristle, busying himself with his suspenders to help him hold back a reply he’d regret. The two remained in silence as they approached the reunion area proper.

For an event that usually resulted in members of the Apple family talking about how much fun it was to see each other for days or weeks afterwards nationwide, the reunion seemed to be fairly subdued and almost mechanical to the pair of Pies. Foals lay sprawled trying to catch their breath rather than playing any kinds of games, and even though there was a scent of delicious pastries in the air; nobody seemed to be smiling while making the deep-fried goodies.

Stepping up to one of the foals, she regarded the colt like everyone else. “We’re looking for Applejack, is she around?”

“She’s everywhere,” the colt answered ominously, shuddering at the mention of the mare’s name. “She’s been buzzin’ around like a lost bee.”

“Thank you.” Maud moved off, glancing around for the orange mare. She noticed erratic movement over by the trees, and moved towards it to find Applejack setting up a wagon for something. “Applejack, hello.”

Applejack turned, blinking owlishly. “Maud? What the hay are you doin’ here? Ah don’t think you’ve ever stopped by the farm before. Ah don’t mean to be rude, but Ah’m tryin’ ta set up the hayride.”

“We’re family, so we were invited,” Maud answered. “The ponies here look tired.”

“That just means they’ve been having fun! Good ta know the race was a hit with the foals. This ride’ll be nice and relaxin’ after all’a that runnin’.” Applejack paused processing the first part of Maud’s statement. “Uh, Maud, Ah know friends are like family, but that doesn’t mean actual family.”

“I was being literal, not metaphorical,” Maud assured. “Is it that surprising to find out an Apple married a Pie in the past?”

“Ah really don’t have time fer jokes right now, but fine. The two of ya can wander around and chat with family fer a bit while I get this finished up. Pretty sure Granny’s still in the sewin’ tent, so best introduce yerselves t’her first.”

Maud reached over, her hand grasping Applejack’s forearm. “Applejack, the Apples have a driver. One made by the Pie that joined your family.”

Applejack quirked a brow, falling silent. Before Maud could open her mouth to say something else, the farm mare burst out laughing. “Oh mah stars, Maud. Ah never knew ya were as much of a jokester as yer sis.”

“Mine daughter tells no lies,” Feldspar spoke, alerting the farm mare to his presence. “Twas Fuji whom made the device.”

Applejack turned, looking the older stallion over. “Are y’all bein’ serious? If an Apple has one of those fancy belts like the riders, why don’t Ah know about it?”

“We should go talk to Granny Smith,” Maud replied, blinking slowly. “The elder Apples know all about it.”

“Now wait an apple pickin’ minute,” Applejack said, jogging after the grey mare as she turned and started walking. “How come the two of ya know more about this than Ah do?”

“Because your family has been guarding it since Fuji passed,” Maud explained, fishing the orange lockseed from her frock. “Even the Oranges were guarding a piece of it.”

“Uh, what in tarnation is that thing?” Applejack asked, staring at the device in disbelief.

“Fuji called it a lockseed. His belt was... fruit themed.”

Applejack tried to say something, but was stopped by Maud slipping into the sewing tent. Feldspar followed suit, leaving Applejack on her own. The atmosphere in the tent was tense, none of the elders speaking or looking at each other while they worked on a huge quilt.

“Good morn, I be known as Feldspar Pie and this is my daughter, Maud Pie,” Feldspar introduced, taking his hat off. “We have come to discuss Fuji’s belt. Equestria has need of it.”

Granny huffed, putting her needles down. “We know why yer here. And we came to a decision ‘bout that.”

“And that is?” Maud asked, raising her eyebrow slightly.

“That Fuji would want it t'be used,” Granny answered simply. “Ya can have yer belt, but ain’t no Apple puttin’ it on, ya hear me?”

“Thank you,” Maud said, bowing her head. “Can you lead us to it?”

“After everyone settles in fer the night,” Apple Rose insisted. “This isn't somethin’ fer the young'uns t'see.” she pointed back out of the tent. “Why don’t ya’ll go enjoy the hayride?”

“Fine,” Maud replied, turning on her hoof. Her father's brow quirked, noting the subtle shift in her body language. Letting out a light snort, she exited the tent. “We’re going on the hayride,” she informed a confused Applejack.

“Alright, it's gonna be a blast!” Applejack assured, perking up. “Ah got somethin’ special planned!”

“What’s that?” Maud asked, retracing her path back to the wagon.

“Ah ain't gonna ruin the surprise!” Applejack called out, zipping off to the wagon. “Yer just gonna hafta wait and see!”

Maud smiled slightly, walking after the farm mare. Being delayed slightly might not be as bad as she thought. The Apple family was so different from her own, most of them actually smiled. It brought to mind just how aloof the Pie’s were before Pinkie got her mark. Who knew what prolonged contact with the Apples could do for them. Maybe they'd all start acting like Pinkie?

“What’s on thy mind, mine daughter?” Feldspar asked, noting the expression on Maud’s face.

“I was just thinking all of us should come to the next reunion,” Maud stated simply. “It’d be good for Limestone, at least, to meet more of the family.”

“Indeed,” Feldspar agreed. “I hath no idea where she acquired her temper from.”

“We’re all strange,” Maud concluded, turning to look into the orchard. “Except mother.”

“Aye, your mother is as lovely as she is even-tempered,” Feldspar noted, cracking a faint smile at the thought of his wife. “She hast given me four of the five most important ponies in mine life.”

“You're important to me too, Father,” Maud assured, enjoying the heartwarming moment. Climbing into the cart, she patted the spot next to her.

Feldspar got in after her, noting that he'd rather have a smooth rock to sit on over hay. “Perhaps our family should get off the farm more? Just for a few days. The rocks will not go anywhere.”

“That sounds nice,” Maud agreed. “I can't remember the last time Mother and Limestone left the farm.”

“Hey, Maud, what are ya doin’ here?” Apple Bloom asked as she and Babs took their seats. “Pinkie didn’t come with ya?”

“Pinkie had to help the Cakes,” Maud answered, turning to Apple Bloom. “She says hi by the way.”

“This is my cousin Babs!” Apple Bloom introduced, putting her arm around her fellow Apple. “Babs, this is Maud, Pinkie Pie’s sister!”

“It's a pleasure,” Maud said, nodding at Babs.

“Nice to meet ya,” Babs replied, blowing her hair out of her face.

“This is my father,” Maud stated, waving a hand to the older stallion. “Feldspar Igneous Pie.”

“A pleasure to meet thou, young fillies.” Feldspar leaned back, watching as the last of the apples climbed onto the cart. “It appears we’ll be moving soon.”

“I’m just hoping Aj didn’t do anything too crazy this time,” Babs commented, leaning back on the wagon and holding on. “She’s been high-strung all day.”

The cart rocked as Big Mac and Braeburn started to pull them into the orchard. It was a nice view of the apple trees, with the more knowledgeable members pointing out the different types of trees. While Apple Bloom didn’t have that skill, she did know the areas of their orchard like the back of her hand. Her brow quirked, noting where her brother and cousin were pulling them. The cart was heading towards where the fruit bats liked to roost, but Applejack always told her to stay clear of those trees.

“Maud.” Feldspar reached towards his belt, wrapping his hand around the Skull memory. “I believe somepony is arriving uninvited.”

“Do you see something?” Maud questioned, reaching for her own belt. “Or is this just your sense telling you this?”

Feldspar didn’t respond, slapping his driver against his waist. “Get ye back to the farm!” he ordered, inserting the Skull memory and opening the belt.

Skull!” the memory shouted, a grey wind surrounding Feldspar and his armor formed around him. When the transformation ended, he put his hat atop his helmet. While everyone around him shouted in confusion, he jumped out of the wagon and headed off.

“Fire!” a voice called, a loud crack filling the air as an assault rifle went off.

Feldspar dove, the shot grazing against his back. Tucking and rolling, he put his back to a nearby tree and attempted to get a fix on the shooter’s position. Reaching up, he grabbed his side arm off his chest. He took aim, firing at where he thought the shooter was in order to flush them out. With every shot, he adjusted his aim in order to better his chances at hitting his mark. He heard a cry of surprise, followed by a dark shape moving along the brush. Feldspar let his arm trail after the shape, pulling the trigger when he had a lead on it. A moment later, sparks flew, letting the stallion knew he had scored a hit.

The attacker retaliated, peppering Feldspar’s cover with bullets. Two more assailants joined in, opening fire on the older rider. It was Feldspar’s turn to run between cover, zigzagging between trees and hoping to lead the mysterious attackers away from the wagon and farm.

He winced at the sound of splintering wood, hoping the Apples would forgive him for the damage. “Thou hath chosen the worst moment to strike, foul miscreant!” he shouted, glancing back to return fire.

Feldspar knew what these mysterious figures were after, and it wasn't the secret recipes to the Apple Family's treats. He knew Maud would suss that out, and could only hope that she wouldn't be impeded by these assailants. Pushing his back against a tree, he tried to get a clear look at the trio attacking him.

Back at the wagon, Maud forced Apple Bloom and Babs to duck their heads as another shot rang out. Everyone on the wagon had started bolting for the farm, the buildings slowly coming into view.

“I hope Pinkie remembered to wear her belt,” Maud whispered, slotting her memory into its slot.

Joker!

Her faith was rewarded when the Cyclone memory materialized in the other slot. She slammed it home and assumed her rider form.

“Get back to the farm,” Maud told the two fillies, cringing as a few bullets collided with her chest armor. “You’ll be safer there!”

The two nodded, Apple Bloom leading Babs through a secret path in the orchard. With the fillies out of the way, Maud turned towards the source of the shots.

“Surround her!” Several figures in black armor appeared from behind the trees, lead by one in yellow. Much like the sniper Wyatt had encountered before; the figure in yellow bore militaristic armor, sporting a similar shield on their left shoulder; though this one depicted a sabertooth cat, something their helmet also reflected. The black figures were themed after mastodons, a rifle in their arms and pouches peppered along their bulky armor.

Maud tracked the figures, the quartet forming a diamond around her. She pulled out two new memories, one yellow and the other light blue.

Luna! Trigger!

Maud’s armor changed, black becoming blue and green becoming yellow. A blue and silver pistol appeared on the left side of her body. Quickly drawing the new pistol, Maud spun on her hoof and fired at all of the mysterious figures.

“Return fire!” The yellow figure shouted, drawing two handguns sporting dagger blades. They opened fire, diving behind a tree.

Maud tucked and rolled, most of the shots passing over her head. One shot however managed to hit her in the calf, causing her to wince slightly.

Owie, Maud! That really hurt!” Pinking whined, reaching down to rub the wound.

I wasn’t expecting it to tickle,’ Maud thought in return. She took cover, focusing her attention towards the yellow one that seemed to be the leader. Opening fire again, her bullets curved around the tree tagging the leader in the side.

The leader cried out, putting a hand to where Maud had hit her. “Overpower her!” she barked out. “There’s more of us than there is of her!”

Maud gripped her pistol tightly, watching the other three figures burst out of the treeline. She shot out of cover to meet them head on, hoping that Apple Bloom had found somewhere safe to hide.


“Ah told ya, Babs! Monsters are something ta worry about!!” Apple Bloom shouted, weaving her way through her fleeing relatives. “See what Ah was talkin’ bout!”

“Those didn’t look like monsters!” Babs argued, struggling not to get lost in the crowd from her cousin. “They looked like ponies in weird armor!”

“Monsters, evil riders, same thing.”

Babs rolled her eyes, figuring now wasn’t the time to get in an argument over the definition of monster. Babs followed her cousin’s line of sight, quirking a brow when her eyes landed on the barn. “Really? You’re running for the barn? Shouldn’t we be warning the rest of your family before we find a place to hide?”

“Ah ain’t hidin’,” Apple Bloom stated simply, keeping the barn in her sights. “These guys gotta be after that thing hidden in the barn. Ah ain’t about to let monsters steal somethin’ that important to Granny.”

“And what? How are two fillies gonna stop those guys?” Babs questioned, frowning at her.

“If that thing makes the pony wearin’ it like the riders, then we won’t just be normal fillies, now will we?” Apple Bloom countered, the barn growing ever larger in her view. She summoned forth a burst of speed, easily opening one of the large doors in one push. She skidded to a halt, closing the door once Babs was through.

“I can’t even begin to describe how bad an idea that is, Bloom,” Babs panted, brushing her hair out of her face. “Where are we even gonna find the thing?”

“There’s only one place Granny would hide it without her worryin’ about Applejack or Big Mac stumblin’ on it,” the yellow filly stated, striding over to a set of shelves containing empty mason jars, a series of watering cans and other odd tools. “Her zap apple jam supplies. Nopony ‘cept her is allowed to fiddle with this shelf ‘cause them apples are weird.” Apple Bloom scanned the shelves, looking for anything out of place. She recalled helping Granny with the jam, laboring to remember all the different tools and steps. Something stuck out to her, a whisk at the back of the mason jar shelf. Granny hadn’t used that, she mixed the jam with a large spoon. On a whim, she grabbed the whisk and attempted to pull it off the shelf.

A click cut through the air, the shelf pushed away from the wall, revealing a secret room. Smirking to herself, she stepped into the newly revealed room, peering around. “See it anywhere, Babs?”

“How the hay didja figure that out so fast?” Babs questioned, bewilderment taking over as she followed Apple Bloom into the room.

“‘Cause Granny started training me ‘bout makin’ Zap Apple jam last time they came in, and that whisk wasn’t somethin’ she ever used.out of all the other stuff on that shelf.”

“Well aren’t you the shiniest apple in the bunch,” Babs joked, scanning the room for anything that looked important. “What about that?” she asked, pointing ahead of Apple Bloom.

The room inside was bare, simply having a dirt floor and unpainted wooden walls. At the back lay a simple chest, marked with a strange, insect-like symbol. Apple Bloom approached it, kneeling down and lifting the lid. Inside, was a black buckle with an indent in the center, and a knife-like lever next to it. Beside it, was a strange looking, bulky padlock that depicted a zap apple on it.

“Is this it?” Apple Bloom asked, lifting the buckle out of the chest. “This don’t really look like nothin’.” She turned it over in her hands, hoping to uncover anything else about the device. “Screw it, Ah'm sure Ah'll figure it out.” Holding the objects close to her chest, she booked it for the exit.

“Hey, wait for me!” Babs shouted, running after her.

Applejack ushered ponies into the farm house, making a mental note for anyone missing. She had noticed that Apple Bloom and Babs had entered the barn, but thought nothing of it. What she did think something of was the two running back out towards where Maud and Feldspar were fighting.

“Apple Bloom!” she shouted, her eyes going wide. “What in the hay are ya’ll thinkin’!?” The yellow filly ignored her, causing the mare to snort. “Big Mac, make sure everypony's here! Ah need t'go tan our sister's hide!”

“Eeyup,” came the usual reply, though this time it was full of fear and worry.

Applejack charged after her sister, her worry only rivaled by her unbridled desire to lecture the yellow filly's ears off. Apple Bloom may have had a head start, but Applejack had her well cultivated athleticism. The trees passed by in a blur and the farm mare could make out the bow her sister always wore.

“Come on, come on, please work!” Bloom muttered to herself, putting the buckle to her waist. Her breath caught in her throat as a belt formed around her. “Well, that worked, Ah think.” She turned the lock over in her hand, accidentally hitting a switch and having it pop open.

Zap Apple!” an odd voice called out from the lock itself accompanied by musical fanfare.

“That must be good too,” Bloom muttered to herself.

Applejack’s eyes went wide, watching Bloom from afar. “Apple Bloom! Take that thing off now! Ya have no idea what yer doin’!”

Apple Bloom gulped, knowing she'd be in deep trouble with her sister when it was all over. She didn't stop though, finally putting the last pieces of the puzzle together. “Okay, just like this…” With a shaky hand, she pressed the padlock into the indent.

Lock on!” the padlock called out, the zap apple glowing slightly.

“Do I do this?” Bringing her hand down, she used the little ‘knife’ to cut open the padlock.

The knife sliced the lock open, energy arcing over Bloom’s body. She locked up, a suit of armor flicking in and out of existence around her. Her face held a silent scream until Applejack braved the shock and closed the lock.

“Ha! Looks like the brat thought she could fight with the adults. Hand over that belt before we shoot her.” A figure walked out from behind a tree less than ten feet from the two of them; his armor gleaming gold in the sunlight and causing blinding reflections from the areas that weren’t covered in black armor. A golden ‘X’ was etched into the upper left of the pec area, seeming to denote a rank or something else of significance. The style of armor was unlike anything Applejack had seen before, looking as if it was meant to not obstruct the figure while he moved. His left hand came up to tap the communicator on that side of his helmet, “I have visual on the objective, moving to secure.”

“Mah sister ain’t no ‘objective’!” Applejack hissed, moving between the two, Applejack snorted. “Ah don’t care what fancy powers ya’ll got, ain’t no Apple abandoning family!”

“Oh, I wasn't talking about her,” the figure assured, leveling his strange weapon at her head. “She's quite expendable, as are you. I just want that belt.” Moving his finger into the guard, the figure slowly pulled the trigger.

Connect, Please!” A spell circle appeared in front of Applejack and behind the gold-armored figure right as a burst of red streams exited the barrel of the gun it held, and immediately struck his own back, creating a shower of sparks. A hiss of pain could be heard clearly as he staggered for a moment.

“Wizard?!” Applejack called out, whipping her head around the trees in an attempt to find her friend.

“Not just Wizard,” Wyatt said, casually walking out from behind a tree in his Decade form. “You've got Decade to the rescue too.” He made a quick gesture to let Twilight know he’d handle this one, freeing her to search for any other intruders in the orchard.

“Who the hay are these varmints?” Applejack demanded, sweeping Bloom into her arms. “And why do they want this here belt?” Shifting Bloom in her arms, she attempted to remove it from her sisters waist.

“Still trying to work out the who exactly,” Wyatt admitted, leveling his gun at the figure. “But, it's pretty obvious they've got ties to Dai-Shocker. Now,” he said firmly turning his attention to the man in gold, “why don't you start talking or else you'll be drinking all your future meals through a straw.”

The golden warrior hefted his gun, quickly recovering from the redirected attack. “I come in service to Lord Drakkon, that's all you need to know, mongrel.”

“See, that's not the answer I was looking for,” Wyatt said, pulling a card out of his case. “Aj, take your sister and go. I'll take care of this guy.”

“Right, be careful, both of y'all.” Still grabbing at the belt, Applejack hightailed it back to the farmhouse. “Consarnit! Ah just wanted the family to have a nice reunion! Is nothing's safe anymore?!”

With Applejack out of the way, Wyatt flicked his wrist, the card slotting into his belt. “Attack Ride: Blast!” He pulled the trigger, a rapid fire burst shooting towards the golden attacker.

The warrior rolled out of the way, returning fire with a scattering of laser fire. “What a waste, siding with equine primitives. You must enjoy sleeping in hay, animal lover.”

It was Wyatt's turn to dive, one of the beams a hair's breadth from hitting him in the head. “You're a disgrace to what that uniform originally stood for,” he countered, whipping his arm around and firing another volley. “SPD was built on the coexistence of humans and other species.”

“Anything to justify your degeneracy.” Opening fire again, he sent a spread of laser beams at Wyatt. “I’ll drag your pathetic hide to Lord Drakkon personally.”

Wyatt rolled into the bushes, pulling another card out of his booker. “Attack Ride: Illusion!

“Wyatt” stepped out of the bushes, brandishing his sword. “Slight problem with that, you need to be able to kill me.”

The 'ranger’ didn't respond, only pulling something off his belt and hurling it at the ground. It exploded with light and noise, stunning Wyatt momentarily.

Wyatt cried out in surprise, taking a defensive stance and rushing towards where he had last seen the ranger and slashing with his sword. He was rewarded with a kick in the back.

“Look at you, flailing blindly. Whoever trained you should be executed for incompetence.”

The ranger cried out, a volley of shots from three distinct shooters catching him in the back. A trio of Wyatt's stepped out of the bushes, each of them holding a smoking gun.

“And whoever trained you should've taught you about diversions,” the Wyatts said in chorus.

“Do you really think cheap tricks like this will save you? All will bow before the might of Lord Drakkon and his Sentries!”

“Wow, it really sounds like you’re a part of a cult,” the Wyatts said in unison, the three holding guns taking positions around the sentry and firing. Meanwhile, the sword user pressed the man in gold, preventing him from returning fire on the trio. “If this Drakkon guy offers you Kool-Aid, take my advice and say no.”

“A cult cannot unite a world such as our Lord has.”

Wyatt could feel an edgy comment brewing, but he lacked a fedora to tip in order to completely sell it. Instead, he settled on unleashing a volley of shots on the sentry from three angles, stopping him from going on a full blown rant about his lord.

With a single deft motion, the gold sentry shifted his grip on the shotgun to his left hand only and grabbed a long knife out of the sheath at the back of his belt for a more suitable close-combat option. “I know only one of you can be real, so it’s time to start reducing the numbers.”

“And what makes you think you’ll be able to?” all the Wyatts asked, opening fire and slashing the sentry.

The world tore as the attacks struck home; unlike the elegance of Dai-Shocker’s travel, this portal created a wound in reality. Green energy wracked the area, leaving more than one tree uprooted. Three figures strode into the universe, each unnerving Wyatt by sight alone.

Two figures were identical, looking like slightly more armored versions of the red Mighty Morphin’ Ranger. A red cape was attached to their shoulders, the inner fabric being a golden yellow. Just like the pink sentry he had encountered, they had a black and yellow shoulder pad on their left shoulder that depicted a tyrannosaurus in yellow. In their hands were long staffs with what looked like sword blades fixed to each end.

“I expected more from Somber's pet project,” the third spoke, instilling in Wyatt a certain, fear and disgust-filled flavor of nostalgia. “A pity; I was hoping you'd provide more of a challenge.” This one was an odd fusion of the green and white ranger, that much he could tell. The shield on the chest was dark green with golden accents and a broken up dragon symbol at the center. The helmet was the most unnerving part; predominantly based around the White Tiger design with a horn sweeping backwards off the brow and a blood red visor that made it look like he was staring through things rather than at them.

“I don’t want to kill him,” Wyatt argued, summoning up his courage. “I just wanted to incapacitate him and get him to answer some questions.”

“At which you proved ineffectual.” A wash of white and green energy spread over the figure’s helmet, removing it from existence. A horrified sense of childish glee filled Wyatt; glaring at him was the face of Jason David Frank or rather some version of the character he once played, one Thomas Oliver. Though this Tommy was aged, sporting more than a few white streaks of hair and sickly black veins running along his jawline. “I am Lord Drakkon and you have but one chance to join me.”

“Ooh, I know this line,” Wyatt said, pulling a card out of his case. “The end of it is, “Or else I’ll be forced to destroy you with extreme prejudice”, right?” He grinned beneath his helmet, trying to ignore the twisting sensation in his gut.

“If only you were so lucky.” Drakkon’s helmet reappeared in a wave of energy. “Spread out, kill any animals you find, but I’ll handle the boy.”

Wyatt thought over his options, going over what he knew about Tommy Oliver. Gritting his teeth, nothing seemed good in a straight up fight. If this was a Tommy that were just in the green or white suit, he could probably count on being able to outperform the Ranger on a pure stat basis. This however was a complete unknown. Staying defensive and picking his shots was the only real option until he could gauge what this version of the original sixth Ranger was capable of.

“Alright then, Tommy boy, you wanna go, we can go.”

“I fail to see what Somber has invested in you,” Drakkon stated coldly, drawing a headless Saba off his waist. “You’re nothing more than a babbling fool.”

Slipping his Magic Eyes card into his belt, Wyatt changed forms. “Sorry if I can’t live up to the expectations of someone who’s clearly a psychopath.”

“Not psychotic, enlightened,” Drakkon retorted, charging at Wyatt and slashing at the young man’s head.

Wyatt blocked the slash with his staff, using his other hand to send a fireball into Drakkon’s chest. “That’s something a psychopath would say, isn’t it? Got anything else for me?”

Drakkon shrugged off the fireball, crouching down and sweeping Wyatt’s legs out from under him. “Only that you live by grace of Somber’s request.”

“Aww, Somber likes me?” Wyatt asked, creating a magelight and blinding his attacker. He scrambled to his feet, sending spikes of ice towards Drakkon. “I’d be touched if I didn’t feel like throwing up in my mouth.”

Drakkon moved his sword in a pattern, shattering all but one of the spikes. The lone spike grazed his arm, barely getting a reaction out of the tyrant. Wyatt gulped, wracking his brain for something he could do against an opponent of Drakkon’s skill.


Applejack’s heart beat in her ears, her body exerting itself far more than it was ready for today. “Blast it, Bloom, how do you get this damn belt off!” She hissed between her teeth, still trying to pry it off the filly’s waist. With all other options exhausted, she carefully turned over her sister in her arms to see if the back of the belt could yield some answers. A surge of excitement shot through her as she saw a small knob that rested on the small of the filly’s back. Reaching down, she gave the knob a twist and the strap retracted back into the buckle.

Finally making it out of the orchard, Applejack put on a burst of speed to close the distance to the house. “Big Mac! Open the door! I got Bloom with me; she’s out cold!”

Big Mac reacted in an instant, opening the house door just enough for Applejack to run through before slamming it shut behind her. “Bloom okay?” He asked, peering down at their younger sibling.

“Ah looked her over as much as Ah could while runnin’,” Applejack told him, laying her down on the couch. “Ah think she’s just out cold, nothin’ lastin’.” Turning around. She glared at Granny Smith. “Any particular reason ya didn’t tell us ya had a rider belt on the farm?”

“Ya weren’t old enough,” Granny argued, moving over to the couch and putting a hand on Apple Bloom’s bangs. “Family tradition has always been t’wait until after ya start on a family or farm of yer own. Ah didn’t even tell yer folks until yer ma was swellin’ up with Big Mac.”

Applejack snorted, feeling a swell of resentment growing in her chest. “Damn it, Granny! Ah’m all fer tradition, but Equestria is in danger! You saw what Trixie was doin’ to the town, how she put Wyatt in the hospital. What about that monster tha nearly tore Rumble’s wings off? How can ya sit there and keep your secrets when things like that are happenin’!?”

“What was Ah supposed t’do?” Granny retorted. “Hand you or yer brother the belt and let ya shock yerself like Bloom just did? Ah only got that one seed, Applejack, and that thing only works when ya build up a heck of a lot o’ experience with the belt. ‘Twas done that way so if anypony came and tried to steal it they wouldn’t be able ta use it!”

“Ya could have given it ta somepony else! Ah told you Princess Celestia was doing her best to make more riders and yer just hoarding a belt like a dragon!” Turning on her hoof, she gripped the belt tighter. “Wyatt, Twilight, Maud and her pa are all fightin’ ta keep us safe. Ain’t ya got no shame?”

“And who would ya trust with that piece o’ our family history?” Granny asked, her head hanging. “Ah wasn’t gonna ask one o’ my own t’carry the responsibility. Fuji always warned that there was a risk o’ puttin’ on the thing. The wearer might not quite be all pony when all’s said an’ done.”

Applejack slapped the buckle to her waist, her blood pumping like she had been bucking all day. “Oh, but it’s alright to drop that on somepony else? Guess Ah never realized how selfish ya were. Mac, make sure everypony’s safe. Ah ain’t about to let someone risk their lives fer us without lending a hoof.”

Big Mac nodded in response to Applejack before glaring at granny. “Some thing’re more important than little trinkets, Granny. If’n Celestia asked for pop’s old boxers because they’d save lives somehow, we shouldn’t think twice.”

The comment got a chortle of laughter from Applejack. “Exactly, Mac.” Taking a breath, Applejack, glanced back at her family. “Ah love ya’ll, even if ya make me wanna tear my mane out sometimes.” Steeling herself, she broke into a run, making a beeline back into the orchard. “Okay, AJ, ya put one of those crazy belts on, how do ya make it work?” She put a hand to the indent, recalling Granny's comments and the odd lock her sister had used. “Okay, so Ah need a different one o’ those lock-lookin’ seed things, whatever the hay they are.” Granny had mentioned that they had been spread out among members of the family, but running back inside didn't seem like an option after telling off her grandmother.

One of the red sentries whirled around a tree, one end of her staff swinging at Applejack’s legs. “Animals like you should be in pens, not running farms.”

Acting fast, Applejack kicked the staff, knocking it away from the arteries in her leg. She winced, a cut opening up just above her hoof. “Them's fightin’ words ya mangy polecat!”

“You can’t even speak right, inbred mongrel,” the sentry spat back, throwing a punch at Applejack’s jaw. “It’s a wonder how you even managed to wear clothes.”

Applejack brought her arms up to block the punch, the force sending her sliding into a tree and leaving her arms feeling almost as sore as they did after the push-up contest with Rainbow Dash. She grunted, the bark digging into her back.

“I’d ask if you have any last words, but you probably wouldn’t have anything intelligent to say.” Hefting her staff, the sentry moved to impale the staggered mare.

Applejack tried to move, her limbs refusing to listen to her desperate pleas. Panic overtook her, her thoughts racing a mile a minute. Squeezing her eyes shut, an image of her family all together settled into her mind.

“Excuse me, that’s my cousin you’re hurting.” A smooth monotone voice was the only thing the red sentry heard before a heavy punch to the ribs sent her flying for a few moments, giving Applejack some precious breathing room as Maud, in her Heat/Rock pairing, arrived on her way back to the farmhouse. A small group of wounded family members began moving through as quickly as their various injuries allowed.

“Thanks Maud,” Applejack croaked out, prying herself away from the tree. “She hits like a freight train.”

You okay, AJ?” Pinkie asked, her voice a little tinny. “That meanie didn’t hurt you, did she?

“Pinkie wants to know if you’re okay,” Maud relayed, squaring up against the sentry.

“Ah’m not gonna lie, my arms feel like two overbucked saplings, and Ah’m pretty well-steamed at my family fer not keepin’ at least one seed nearby fer this dang belt, but I guess Ah’m fine otherwise.”

“You mean a seed like this?” Maud questioned, producing the orange lockseed from within her armor. “I promised Granny Smith not to let an Apple use the belt, but,” she lightly tossed the seed, letting it roll in front of Applejack’s hooves. “Oh no, I dropped the seed I was holding onto.”

Applejack smirked, lifting it up. “That’s alright, Granny and Ah don’t exactly see eye ta eye on the matter anyway.” She stood back up, examining the lock. “Uh, Maud, ya know how ta work this?”

“Open the lock, put it on the belt, close it and bring the knife down,” Maud explained, blocking the sentry’s blade with her knuckle duster. “The quicker, the better.”

Applejack nodded, finding a button on the side of the lockseed. “Orange!” the lock called out. There was an odd sound, almost like a zipper opening from above her

With a deft motion, she placed the lockseed on and closed it. “Lock on!” Closing her eyes, she grabbed the knife and brought it down on the lockseed. All of a sudden, there was a weight on her shoulders. Applejack's eyes shot open, her vision suddenly filled with orange. “Orange Arms! Path of blossoms, on stage!” The weight suddenly lessened, her normal vision returning to her.

“What the hay just happened!?” Applejack frantically looked at herself, taking in her new appearance. In her hand was a sword that resembled an orange slice. A blue suit covered most of her body while odd orange armor covered her chest that was in a style she didn't recognize.

“You really think armor is going to help? You’re more foolish than I imagined.” The sentry swept Maud off her hoof, leveling the tip of her staff at Maud’s throat.

“Says someone in armor,” Maud pointed out, not flinching at the spear looming over her.

“Ah reckon yer just scared ‘cuz Ah’m not helpless anymore.” Applejack carefully moved her arms, flexing the pained muscles as she tried to get a feel for the sword the armor came with and how it wanted to move with her hand. “Yer bluffin’, and now it’s two-to-one in our favor.”

Wish Wyatt weren't busy right now,’ Applejack thought, rushing the sentry and swinging her sword at her head. ‘Ah can only guess he might know somethin’ about this belt.

Moving with uncanny grace, the sentry twirled out of the way; the back end of her staff slashing at Applejack’s side. “As if I have anything to fear from a pair of primitive horses.”

Applejack moved her wrist, tilting her sword to block the strike. In the clash, she felt something at her waist clattered against her leg repeatedly. Glancing down, she found another sword, this one with a yellow blade and an odd looking crossguard. Smirking beneath her helmet, she quickly unsheathed it and slashed at the sentry's chest.

Maud sprung to her hooves, her knuckle duster bursting into flames. “You talk too much,” she told the sentry, throwing a punch at her helmet.

The sentry grunted in pain, tumbling along the ground and her head slamming into a tree. Pushing herself up to her elbows, she growled under her breath. “My lord, one of the animals has used the belt. Shall I proceed?”

Permission granted,” Drakkon's voice crackled over the sentry's headset.

Slipping a shard of green crystal out of her armor, the sentry held it up. “This is Commander Sevrin, open the portals. Raze everything.”

“Y'all ain't doin’ anything of the sort!” Applejack boomed, running up to Sevrin and stomping her hoof on her helmet. Her reward was getting knocked off her hooves by a bolt of green energy. Applejack groaned, shaking off the sudden burst.

The farm shook as more of the portals ripped into existence, each birthing dozens of sentries into the homestead. More than a few Mastodon sentries opened fire on Maud and Applejack; the rest heading towards the farmhouse.

Maud and Applejack dove, taking cover from the shots. “Applejack, you head for the house, I'll hold these ones back,” Maud told the other mare.

“Right, be safe.” Applejack break cover, finding she was running much faster than before. It took almost no time at all to catch up with the sentries, catching one in the back with her orange sword. “Keep away from mah family!”

The sentry cried out in pain, collapsing on the ground. A couple others turned from their path, opening fire on Applejack.


“Permission granted,” Drakkon suddenly stated, catching Wyatt off guard.

“What permission?” Wyatt demanded, throwing a stream of lightning at Drakkon. “Come on, share your evil plan with me!”

“Listen,” Drakkon stated simply, countering the lightning with a blast of his own green lightning. “You'll be able to hear it from here. The sounds of this miserable pile of dirt burning to ashes.”

PreviousChapters Next