• Published 3rd Nov 2015
  • 9,504 Views, 695 Comments

A Passing Through Kamen Rider - thunderclap



A young man goes to a convention and finds he has the powers of Kamen Rider Decade in a world of ponies and monsters. Can he rise up and fight evil?

  • ...
30
 695
 9,504

PreviousChapters Next
They Mostly Come out at Night... Mostly.

One week ago

Lightning Dust gave her wings a light flap, attempting to bleed out some of her tension. She could hardly believe it, all her hard work was paying off. A little over a day ago, she received a letter; a Wonderbolts acceptance letter. She hummed, folding her wings. That was an exaggeration, but it pumped her up more than just an academy acceptance letter.

The Whinnyapolis sun beamed from on high, making the wait for the airship even worse. She had made her dad promise not to pull any strings for her. Looking down at the letter in her hands, a frown etched itself to her face. What if he had ignored her? That was certainly just like him. She thanked her lucky stars that her name was nothing like his. Nopony was going to connect her to Wind Rider, the Wonderbolt legend, and accuse her of not earning her place. ‘Guy needs to retire already. Go find some floozy and buy a home in Trottingham or something’ She snorted, picturing herself trying to spend long weekends visiting her dad in a snobby city like that. The icing on the cake was imagining having a new step-mom that was her age.

Her mirth was interrupted by the sound of claws on stone. “It always lightens the heart to hear the laughter of youth.” The voice was rough and deep, positively ancient by Lightning’s guess. “Tell me, what’s amused you, my feathered friend.”

Turning around, an odd sight greeted her; a dragon stood on the airship platform. Despite what she had heard of ancient dragons; this one was roughly her height. The drake was hunched over, a heavy cloak covering most of his features, though not his red eyes.

“Oh, it’s kinda only funny for me maybe?” Lightning prefaced, slightly embarrassed by her outburst. “I pictured my dad retiring and marrying a mare my age. Seems silly I’d be calling somepony like that my mom, dontcha know?” She blanched, her dreaded accent had reared its ugly head.

“Ah, mating habits are the same no matter the species,” the drake commented, a coughing laugh leaving his snout. “Only less fighting when it comes to you scaleless ones.”

It was Lightning’s turn to laugh, pulling out a bottle of water from her bag as a silent offering for the drake’s cough. “Depending on the situation, us scaleless will get in fights over that too. Especially in my case; I’m pretty bad at the whole stable relationship thing.”

Taking the bottle, the drake quickly drank half of it. “Ah. Thank you, that cough always comes on this time of day. The downside of living as long as I have; nothing works quite as good as it used to.”

“Don’t mention it, wouldn’t feel right to just do nothing,” Lightning replied, waving a hand at him. “And hey, living as long as you have must have some perks too, right? There’s probably centuries worth of stories in that head of yours.”

Reaching into his cloak, the drake produced a trio of coins. “More than you’d ever imagine, friend. Take these for example.” Tossing them up into the air, he caught them with the other claw. Pinching one between his thumb and index claw, he showed off its splendor to Lightning. “Supposedly, they were crafted by a powerful dragon at the behest of his ruler. Said to grant their owner incredible power.”

“Wow, that’s one heck of a story, mister,” Lightning commented, watching the coins transfer hands. “Do they actually work for you?”

Laughing again, he held his hand out in offering. “I can’t say that they have. They’ve been more of a conversational piece. Why don’t you take these three? I have far too many already. Perhaps they can do more for you than they have for me.”

Waving a hand in front of her, Lightning smiled. “There’s no need for that, mister. I can’t take something that’s connected to dragon legends. I feel like I don’t know enough to respect them.”

“You’d be respecting them more than the dragons are,” he countered, moving his hand closer. “Better you have them and share their story, then wind up in some idiot’s hoard never to see the light of day again.”

Frowning, Lightning held her hand out to meet the elder dragon’s. “Alright, if you really think it’s okay. Maybe I’ll find some way to make them a keychain or necklace without damaging them?”

Purring in content, he dropped the coins into her hand. “They are yours to do with as you please, young pony. A gift from an old, wandering dragon. Something to tell the hatchlings, yes?”

Chuckling, Lightning put the coins in her pocket. “If I ever manage to keep a relationship going, I’ll tell them the story. My name’s Lightning Dust, what’s yours?”

Clicking his tongue, he smiled. “You can call me Calamity.”

“Oddly negative name for a nice guy like you,” she complimented, pulling her hand out of her pocket. A horn blew, Lightning turning her head to find an airship approaching. “I think that’s my ride, it was nice chatting with you, Calamity.”

“Goodbye, Lightning Dust,” Calamity replied, giving a light wave. “May good fortune find you.”

She returned the wave, jogging up to the docking ship. “I shouldn’t need luck! I’ve been working my flank off for this!” Lightning couldn’t keep the smile off her face, her new coins clattering together in her pocket. Once she had found a seat, she decided to inspect the trinkets. A yellow coin depicted a large cat, a red coin depicted what looked like a peacock and the last one was blue and pictured a killer whale.

Rolling the coins around in her hand, focusing on the yellow one. “Hmm, I think that’s a cheetah. Maybe this’ll be a good luck charm for my training?”


Agito tossed a few more sticks onto the fire, taking a seat across from Daring. “That should keep for a few more hours.” Removing his cloak, he carefully folded it up. “It’s been a long time since we’ve been together like this, D.D.”

Taking her hat off, Daring finished setting up their sleeping rolls. “Yeah, good times. Certainly has taken the edge off all the craziness of what we’re looking for.”

Placing his cloak down next to him, Agito removed his mask. “I feel like I should make up for my absence. There’s a lot you still don’t know about me, Daring. I think it’s about time we fixed that.”

Daring sat down across from him, the flames of the campfire framing his face. “Wow, this must’ve actually eaten at you. It used to be I had to pester you for weeks before you’d tell me anything.”

“Yeah well, I love you a lot and you deserve to know.” Leaning back on a rock, Agito ran a hand through his beard. “Believe it or not, your uncle and I spent a lot of time with the Pillars of Equestria.”

“You’ve made passing comments about them,” Daring noted, keeping an eye on one of his little habits. Whenever her father was uncomfortable, he’d fuss with his beard. “But whenever I asked a follow-up question you’d just grunt.”

“Mostly because I still want to break Starswirl's jaw,” Agito replied, his gaze hardening. “Sure, he was good at magic. He was also a huge dick. A mean spirited misanthrope that bordered on being racist. Asshole treated Stygian like garbage.”

“Did he ever tell you he was trying to make his own rider tech?” Daring questioned, unbothered by her father’s story. Plenty of journals written by people who had dealt with Starswirl had often referred to him as antisocial at the best of times. His tailor in particular used very colorful language in regards to the mage.

“No, but that doesn’t surprise.” Summoning up a sword, Agito planted it in the ground. “Guy taught Celestia and Luna all they know about keeping secrets. Probably the reason Luna ended up going crazy. Putting that guy around kids was a terrible idea.”

“I’ll tell you more about it later,” Daring assured him, nodding in thought. Celestia had been right, Starswirl hadn’t trusted her father or uncle with his project. “Who’s Stygian? He wasn’t a Pillar.”

Giving his daughter a stern look, Agito clarified. “Yes, Daring, Stygian was a Pillar. In fact, if it wasn’t for him, the Pillars never would have joined together.” His tone became bitter, his words venomous. “Starswirl treated him like slime, never gave him thanks or praise. Constantly put him down for his weak magic. Asshole couldn’t even remember the kid’s name.” Leaning in, Agito scoffed. “You wanna know the worst part?”

Daring quirked a brow, resisting the urge to flinch under her father’s harsh eyes. She suddenly felt like a filly who had been caught getting in a fight again. “What’s worse than that?”

“Beardy was Stygian’s idol,” Agito elaborated, gripping the handle of his sword. “Never even knew. Styg just never had it in him to say anything. Always said he wanted to earn his respect first. Poor kid never got it.”

Shaking her head, Daring let her gaze lower to the fire, watching the embers crackle and fly up into the air. “Sounds rough. What happened to Stygian?”

“Dunno.” Agito lessened his grip, the venom in his voice melting into shame. “When your uncle died, I wasn’t in a very good place. I filled my time with as much meaningless sex and what passed for narcotics back then as I could. I drove everyone away from me; my friends, my colleagues.” His volume lowered. “My girlfriend. By the time I pulled myself out of it, the pillars were gone and Celestia had banished Luna to moon.”

“Hold on, you had a girlfriend?” Daring questioned, her ears flicking and her head snapping upward. “Okay, I’m not letting that slip by. Spill it.”


“Yeah, I had a girlfriend. Her name was Adagio Dazzle and she was a siren.” A small smile spread across his lips. “She had an ego a mile wide and the most 80’s hair you can imagine but damn if I didn’t love her.”

“You dated a siren?” Daring questioned, her jaw dropping. “I don’t know if I should be impressed or worried for you.”

“Hey, I loved Adagio,” Agito all but snapped. Holding a hand up, he sighed. “Sorry, I’m not mad at you. I just...haven’t talked to anyone about this stuff. I was in a drug induced haze and I abandoned her. Found out later she and her sisters got banished to another world by bearded idiot and the Pillars.”

“I’m sorry too,” Daring said, a frown on her face. “I wish I could’ve met her.” Standing up, she moved over to her father’s side. “Maybe if things had gone differently, I’d have called her Mom?”

Putting his arm around her, his mood seemed to brighten. “I dunno about that. Sirens are pretty vain. She wouldn’t want anyone to know she’s old enough to be someone’s mom.” Smirking at her, his eyes twinkled. “I ever tell you that Somnambula had a nice ass? Meadowbrook had this super sexy southern accent. If it wasn’t for Adagio, I might have hooked up with one of them.”

Daring grinned with him, trying to picture her father sneaking glances at the historical figures. “Oh yeah? How nice of an ass are we talking about? If you’ve seen magazines with Fleur De Lis on them, how does Somnambula stack up to her?”

“Oh Somnambula blows her out of the water.” Agito laughed, slapping her shoulder. “Had this Egyptian thing going on. Also had a lot of see-through clothes.”

Daring whistled, trying to bring the illustrations she had seen of the Pillar to life. “Makes me wish I was around back then.” Leaning on his shoulder, she imagined Somnambula posing erotically. “I would have loved to see that.”

“Pretty sure you’d have had a thing for Flash Magnus too,” Agito added, not even needing to look down to know his daughter was smirking to herself. “Dude worked out and had a habit of rushing into danger. Guy had mares throwing themselves at his hooves.”

Chuckling, Daring stoked the fire, the flames jumping for a moment. “I dunno, I think I would’ve gone after Rockhoof. The illustrations always make him look like he was built like a house.”

Agito shifted, tilting his sword towards her. “You feel that?” he asked, gazing out behind the fire. “If anything happens, take this sword. I can grab another.” Standing up, he scanned the surrounding area. “Anyone out there?”

No answer came aside from the night breeze. This didn’t ease Agito’s mind, his guard staying up as he continued to check for signs of life. The flickering form of a mare staggered out of the dark, her clothes burned and blackened. Agito’s brow quirked, but his guard remained up. “Okay, never seen a fully manifested apparition before. Spirit, can you communicate with me?”

The spirit zoomed across the fire, her hands going for his throat. “My eyes! My eyes!” Moving her head back, she gave him a perfect look at the burned out sockets that had once been her eyes.

Agito tried to push the spirit off him, only for his hands to pass right through her. “Daring, hit her with the sword!”

Daring jumped up from her seat, grabbing the sword on her way. With a defiant shout, she stabbed the ghost right between her eye sockets. The spirit shrieked, releasing her grip on Agito. “My eyes! Give me back my eyes!”

“Dad, let’s run!” Daring boomed, swiping at the spirit again and grabbing what supplies she could. Which luckily included her backpack. “I don’t really know how to fight angry spirits!”

Agito didn’t argue with her, salvaging what he could of the supplies too. Waving an arm to her, he started dashing off into the wilderness. “I hate fighting ghosts! You never get anywhere quickly!”

Daring followed after him, stealing a glance back at the spirit. “Are you seriously telling me you’ve fought ghosts before?!”

“A few, none of them fully manifested like that. They don’t like my weapons, so there's that.” Summoning another sword, he set the blade aflame to light their way. “Never had one trying to strangle me before.”

“Think this has to do with the temple to this Arisen figure?” Daring questioned, shaking the sword in her hand in an attempt to get it to glow as well. “It did say spirits were involved.”

“Considering that ghost looked liked like one of the ponies in your parent’s photo, yeah I’d say it is.”

Daring shuddered, thinking on the ghost they had seen. “What’s my mom’s ghost doing here? And why would she attack us?” Running through what she knew, Daring felt her teeth grit. “That bastard’s got control of her, doesn’t he?”

Agito glanced over his shoulder, checking to see if the ghost was on their tail. “That might be the best answer we got. We might find out once we find that temple.” Satisfied that there was no sign of her, he stopped running. He looked down, starting to inspect what he had managed to save. “Looks like we got most of it.”

Daring sighed in relief, taking the moment to catch her breath. “Good, there’s no one around for miles to sell us supplies.” Taking the time to orient herself, she frowned. The empty deserts of Saddle Arabia had given way to ruins. A town lay around them, cast in shadow by the moonlight.

Agito took in their surroundings as well, humming in thought. “Let’s try to find a relatively intact building and hole up for the night.”

Daring kept her hands on the sword. “Dad, I'm starting to think we might have been chased here.” Stepping closer to her, her ears flicked back and forth. “I hear a whole lot of voices and not many hoof steps.”

Agito whipped his head around, suddenly hearing murmured whispers from a chorus of voices. Just past the light offered by his sword, he swore he could see wispy movements in the shadows. “Your uncle and I should have splurged for a proton pack. A Camera Obscura at least. But no, we had to cosplay bugmen.”

“Is now really the time for dumb references?!” Daring hissed, putting her back to Agito’s as the shimmering forms of various ponies surrounded them.

“Not dumb when both of those things can get rid of ghosts!” Striking out, Agito slashed through a stallion with a broken neck. He couldn't help but cringe as it shrieked in pain.

Daring followed suit, stabbing a dripping wet looking mare in the stomach. The shade wailed, a horrifying waterlogged sound escaping her throat. “Yeah, well you don't have either, so stop complaining!”

Not needing to be told twice, Agito ignored the pained sounds of the spirits and attempted to cut a path for him and his daughter to make their escape.

Daring swung at another spirit, a teenage colt with noticeable rope burns around his neck as he reached for her throat. She followed her father, her lungs burning from exertion. “There has to be somewhere they can’t follow!”

Agito scrunched his face up, looking at the supplies he was carrying. “D.D., I need you to hold some of this; I’m gonna try something.” Pulling out a piece of paper and pen, he handed the rest of the supplies to his daughter.

Ignoring her protests, Agito scraped the deepest corners of his mind for the knowledge he needed. ‘This would be so much easier with a brush. Doing this with a pen may just make the whole thing not work.’ Clicking his tongue, he pressed on, writing the symbol for a god and muttered a mantra of protection his grandfather had taught him.

“Right there!” he pointed to a relatively intact building, one of the few that still had four walls and a roof. He grit his teeth, taking a swipe from a mauled mare in the back. “Daring, how you doing back there!?”

“Still standing!” Daring shouted, ducking her head to avoid losing it to a stab from an Equestrian guard missing an eye. “But they’re gaining on me!”

“Just make it to the door!” Adding on a burst of speed, he slapped the makeshift talisman on the door fame. “You believe in me, right?”

“Yeah!” Daring dove, managing to tuck and roll into the doorframe. She panted, her chest heaving as she tried to compose herself. “What’s the plan here? Reenacting that Assault movie?”

“That makes one of us,” Agito muttered, stepping towards the doorway. The talisman shimmered slightly in the moonlight, standing out against the dark. His heart seized as a ghostly foal stepped closer, only to recoil a foot away from the building. He sighed in relief, letting the point of his sword dip. “Okay, so that does work. Remind me to light a candle and say a prayer to your great-grandfather when we’re out of this mess, okay?”

Daring watched the display, more than a little unnerved as a ghostly mob formed. “I’ll do one with you. I think I remember how.” Sitting back, she gazed at the talisman. “Makes you wonder, doesn’t it?”

“About what? How a talisman to a Japanese god can work when this world has no equivalent to Japan?” Agito questioned, taking a seat next to his daughter. “Maybe Faust heard it and decided to answer it herself?”

“Honestly, don’t care who answered it right about now,” Daring commented, setting her supplies down. “Think we’ll need to put one of those on other entrances?”

“That should be good.” Leaning against her, both of Agito’s swords faded from existence. “I think I need a nap. You wanna take first watch?”

“Sure,” Daring said, reaching into her pack and pulling out a blanket. “Mind teaching me how to make one of those in case it gives out during the night?” A snore was Agito’s response, the man already sleeping on her shoulder. Sighing, Daring wrapped her and the man up in the blanket. “Always hated how quickly you went out,” she muttered, offering a silent prayer that the talisman would keep the haunting hoard out.


Lightning Dust checked her reflection in her locker’s mirror, grinning to herself at how the trainee uniform fit her. Like normal Wonderbolt uniforms, it was form fitting. Which for her meant her assets were nicely highlighted. A part of her considered trying her luck seducing Soarin, that was a stallion she had spent a night or two dreaming about. But she tossed it aside, she was bound and determined to impress them with her own skills. Like her speed, there was a reason her father had named her Lightning.

About the only good thing he gave me.’ Shaking her head, she slapped her face. “Come on, Dust. Focus. You’re here for you, not him.” Jabbing a finger at her reflection, she added, “You’re gonna become a Wonderbolt, and nothing’s gonna stop ya.”

“Geez, Dust. I know you’re full of yourself but if you stare at your reflection anymore you’re gonna end up making out with it,” Dash teased, peering into the room. “You ready or what?”

“Sorry,” Lightning replied, shutting her locker. “I was doing my ritual to psych myself up. What, you think performance like mine is achieved without a routine?” she questioned, grinning at her wing mare. “Besides, I know you’ve been staring.” Winking at her, she made her way over.

“In your dreams, Dust,” Dash replied, chuckling and nudging Lightning in the side. “How can I be staring at you when there’s Spitfire walking around in that uniform that’s a size too small?”

Dust bit her lip, picturing the image in her mind. “Yeah, her ass looks so tight in that thing.”

“If ponies wouldn’t accuse me of trying to cheat my way into the Wonderbolts, I’d so make a move,” Dash elaborated, giving her wings a flap. “Spitfire is easily one of the top ten hottest mares in Equestria. Right up there with that Countess Coloratura.”

“Ugh, no way! She’s way too plastic.” Dust stuck her tongue out. “Have some standards, Dash.” She let the conversation die as they stepped out onto the grounds. The Bolts didn’t seem to mind banter, but Spitfire had made it clear to leave it in the locker room. They filed onto the landing strip with the other recruits. Dust could hardly contain herself, eagerly awaiting their next exercise.

Spitfire strolled onto the field, the harsh light of the sun reflecting off her sunglasses. “Good morning cadets; another glorious day in the bolts! You’ve made it this far, but can you handle another day of training?”

“Ma’am, yes ma’am!” the recruits all answered in unison, standing up straight at attention.

“I didn’t hear you, you featherless sons of pigeons!” Spitfire shouted, glaring at them.

“Ma’am, yes ma’am!” the recruits repeated, their voices carrying far off into the field.

“That’s better! Now! You’re going to get with your flight partners and run the training course again. Time to beat is three minutes! Get moving!” Spitfire ordered, gesturing with her wing.

Dash and Dust fistbumped, moving over to the starting line. Stretching out, Dust asked, “So, care to show these slowpokes how it's done and make a new record?”

“Hay yeah! We’ll leave that record in the dust!” Pulling her goggles down, Dash spread her wings out. “You ready for this?”

“Always,” Dust answered, pulling on her own goggles. “Let's go!” Jumping up, she flapped her wings and rocketed towards the first obstacle. Confidence pumped through her veins, infusing every part of her body. It pushed her speed faster and faster, quickly charging to her limits.

Not enough,’ she thought, controlling her breathing while she and Dash cleared all the obstacles far ahead of their peers. ‘I need to be better than Dad. I need more speed!

A yellow crackle moved through her mane, indistinguishable from its natural colors. Before she knew it, the obstacles started to blur past her, unnatural speed surging through her. Glancing behind her, she noted Dash was struggling to keep up with her. Annoyance shot through her unbidden, her eyes trained on Dash.

“Come on, Dash!” Dust urged, waving a hand forwards. “We're so close to beating this record!” Beating her wings, she added to her already insane speed. “We can’t chicken out now!”

Dash's eyes widened all of a sudden, rushing forward and grabbing Lightning's tail. The aqua mare suddenly stopped, an obstacle slamming down where she would have been. Panting, Dash said, “There's a difference between being chicken and keeping your eye on the course.”

Shaking her head, Dust stared at the obstacle. “I didn’t see it. I was just going so fast...”

Dash smiled, nudging Dust in the side. “That's why you have me as your wing mare. I'll watch your flank whenever you lose your head. Now come on! We can still do this!”

“Right, let's go!” Zipping through the obstacle, Lightning kept her speed under control. ‘We still got a few seconds, just gotta keep a level head and that record is ours!

The two pressed on, clearing the rest of the obstacles with ease. “New record!” Spitfire called out, looking at her stopwatch. “Two minutes, fifty-nine seconds! Lightning Dust, Rainbow Dash!”

“Woo!” Lightning Dust shouted, thrusting a fist into the air. “There we go! I told you we could do it, Dash!”

“Never doubted you for a second!” Dash assured, grinning from ear to ear. “Who's the best team at the academy?” She held her hand up, looking at Dust expectantly.

“That'd have to be us!” Dust replied, high-fiving her wing mare. “Especially you back there. You kept me from getting knocked out of the obstacle course. Thanks.”

“No prob, that’s what wing ponies are supposed to do.” Eyeing Dust critically, Dash gestured to the course. “What happened up there? You got a speed boost out of nowhere.”

“I dunno,” Dust admitted, going over to her gym bag and grabbing a towel. “I just wanted to beat that record so bad and started to go faster.” Pulling her goggles up, she wiped at her face. “Guess I’m a stronger flier than I thought.”

Dash quirked a brow, the gears in her head slowly turning. “Yeah, that must be it,” she replied, her voice full of uncertainty. ‘Okay, we seriously need to invent those phone things Wyatt talks about. I can’t leave without getting kicked out for missing practice, which means, ugh, letter writing.


Torches staved off the darkness of the night, Luna’s moon high in the sky. The jungle teemed with life, many a predator stalking the foliage for a meal. Ahuizotl paced around his den, his path paved with scattered papers. Notes and maps covered nearly every inch of the room; along with more than one wanted poster of Daring Do. The bulk of the papers had information about artifacts on them, while others had his scrawled out plans to trap Daring should she interfere. His only problem; there was nothing he could find worth stealing. The best artifact he could find seemed to give him dominion over butterflies. Hardly a capable force to grant him the rule he wanted.

Grumbling to himself, he stalked over to the pieces that sounded like they were made of more expensive materials so he could sell them. Keeping himself and his lackeys fed wasn't cheap after all.

“This would be so much easier if she hadn’t vanished,” he muttered, a hand tracing a drawing of a two curved, handheld blades. “She always had some lead to some powerful relic.” Moving over, he saw a statuette of a falcon that looked promising. “It's not like her to go this long without hunting something down.”

“You just have to have the right bait.” A voice carried over the wind, dancing over Ahuizotl’s ear like a bird’s song. “Something I thought you’d have learned by now.”

Ahuizotl’s ears swiveled, trying to detect the source of the noise. The voice itself was one he instantly recognized. “Padre? How can that be. You died when I was still a cub.”

“Is that what your Madre told you?” Something stepped into the room, right through the hut wall. Standing in the moonlight was a skeleton, one whose bones shimmered purple, green and a whole other host of colors. “She was a fiesty one, hijo, but she never had much of a nerve.”

“Dios mio,” Ahuizotl muttered, taking in the skeletal figure. “Padre, you are nothing but bones. How are you here?” The insult to his mother stung, but that bite was far exceeded by awe. “Are you... are you cursed?”

“Quite the opposite, hijo,” his father replied, flexing the fingers on his tail hand, “this is a blessing. But it is one that is incomplete. I need your help to claim a prize far more valuable than any of these paltry trinkets.”

“Paltry?!” Ahuizotl bristled, wounded pride overcoming his daze. “I have tracked down some of the most powerful relics in known history!” Grinning, he flicked his tail hand. “I even managed to get my hands on one of those Eternal Flowers.”

The skeletal being laughed, a hollow sound that rattled his ribs. “So many little gato has become immortal hm? Ah, but what is immortality if it doesn’t come with power?” Waving his tail, a sharp cry split the air.

A low moan followed, another figure stepping into the room. This one was a teenage dragon, his neck and right wing bent at sickening angles.

“The lingering souls of this world are mine to command, Ahui.” the skeleton’s tail began to glow, third hand glowing a ghostly blue. “And when I have finished the necessary sacrifice, even those spirits who have crossed over will be mine. Why, I could even bring back your dear sweet Madre.”

“How are you doing this?” Ahuizotl questioned fear bleeding into his awe and overtaking his pride. “This is unreal.”

“Oh, Ahui, it is very real.” Beckoning with his tail, Ahuizotl’s father turned back to the wall. “We have much to do; the sacrifice has almost reached the temple. We must make haste if we are to give her a proper greeting.”

Ahuizotl paused, weighing his options. His mother had always taught him that his father was someone not to be trusted. However, the promise of seeing her and hearing her voice one more time was so very tempting. “Please, Madre, watch over me.” Moving towards the door, he followed the ghostly form of his father into the night.

PreviousChapters Next