• Published 23rd Oct 2015
  • 2,708 Views, 119 Comments

From Dat Place to Dis Place - Elric of Melnipony



He's misanthropic, anti-social, lazy, shallow, and kind of a jerk. He's also not very bright. So why on Earth would a complete stranger expend the magical energy necessary to shove him into another reality and grant his every last wish?

  • ...
38
 119
 2,708

Chapter One: Alienation

At last! After months of waiting, it was finally here. Today was the opening day of UmWhatCon, the very first fan convention for people who are into things that they don't really get. Best of all, I had a VIP pass!

Me? I'm John D. Blankslate. (The D stands for "Doe".) My eye color, hair color and other physical attributes are surprisingly variable, so just imagine that I look like an idealized version of you. (If you're a dude, I mean. If you're a chick, imagine a dude you really wanna do the horizontal bop with.) I would tell you more about myself, but characterization is something that happens to other people.

Between the day I bought my pass and today, I had worked really hard on my costume. This was going to blow everyone away. Why limit your cosplay to just one character? I had the revolutionary idea of going to a con dressed as fandom itself. And after ages of preparation, I was ready.

On my right hand was the Infinity Gauntlet with all six Infinity Stones. (Or Gems, if you prefer the comics.) On my left hand was the full "emotional spectrum" of Green Lantern-style power rings, including the white one of Life and the black one of Death. (One was on my thumb, and the rest were doubled up on my fingers.) On my left wrist was an Arisian Lens, a distant relative of the rings. Strapped to my left forearm was the Elder Wand in its quick-draw sheath; on my right forearm was the Runestaff.

In the center of my chest was a Tron identity disc (in the original Frisbee-like style, not the ring style). Normally that would be on the back, but it was easier to grab this way; also, I had on my back a portable particle accelerator that was good for laying the smackdown on ghosts and other undead. Slung next to that contraption was a phaser rifle with a detachable lightsaber in the bayonet position, as well as a top-mounted Xeelee starbreaker.

I bought the phaser from the same place I got the copy of Geordi LaForge's VISOR across my eyes. On the back of my ear was Star-Lord's earpiece that could expand into his signature mask/helmet. On my head was that useless kid's magic hat from the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon.

My sword was deceptive; it looked incredibly generic except for the little rectangular window in the crossguard. Behind the window was a ribbon of names that I could scroll by turning the knob at the end of the pommel. At the time it was set to "Excalibur", but I also had options such as Stormbringer, Glamdring, Blackwand, Masamune, the Sword of Gryffindor, and Dreadstar's sword.

The sword hung off my left hip; on my right hip was the five-bladed Glaive of Krull. Between them was a fully-stocked Batman utility belt. My pocket-laden cargo pants carried an Omni from the short-lived TV show Voyagers!, my copy of The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and all sorts of other goodies that I as an unreliable narrator couldn't think of at the moment. There was every possibility that they might become useful later in the story, though.

Sure, it was early Friday evening and the costume contest wasn't until Saturday night, but that didn't matter; I wanted to show off. No, the only problem I had was that there wasn't anything on the schedule just yet that I was interested in. Later on, there was going to be a set by DJ Topp 4T that I was looking forward to. (He was perfect for this convention, because he said he really loved music, but he only listened to and played things that were already popular.) But until then, not much going on. Nothing for it but to hit the dealers' room.

Most of it looked like the usual. Keychains and other trinkets decorated with characters and quotes, plushies that had to include gold dust in the stuffing for the prices they were charging, pirate copies of DVDs, borderline pornographic art prints, and more. I shoplifted a shot glass that had my favorite hentai vixen on it, but hadn't yet found anything I wanted to spend money on. That changed when a strange voice called out to me.

"Hey, kid."

I couldn't tell where the voice was coming from at first. I looked around, and when it still wasn't obvious, I decided to be clever.

"Who, me?" I asked.

"Yeah, you." For some reason, it reminded me of Mugsy the mobster from those vintage Bugs Bunny cartoons. "C'mere."

Finally I spotted the source of the voice. Just a few feet away, there was a set of tables and displays that were deep in shadow. This was especially odd because not only was the convention center brightly lit, but the booths on either side of it were perfectly visible. Sinister cobwebs were all over it, despite both the cleanliness of the center and the fact that merch set-up had been just that morning. The banner hanging off the front of the table said “For Shits and Giggles, LLC”.

I was intrigued, so I shuffled closer. “Yeah?”

At last I got a look at the man speaking to me. He looked like a “Faces of Meth” PSA poster where the “before” picture was Steve Buscemi. I felt I could trust him instantly. “You kind of a jerk, kid?”

“Uh, yeah.”

“You like to break stuff?”

“Yeah.” Who doesn't?

“You a borderline sociopath?”

I frowned. “This is the one where I'm supposed to say 'no', right? I don't really understand what feelings are, but normal people tell me they get bad ones when I say yes.”

He smiled. It was horrible. “Great. Last question, kid. Do you like doing to canon what Catholic priests do to altar boys?”

“Boy, do I!” Was there anything better?

“Perfect. I got something you might like.” He reached under the table and dug into a box. He came back up with two shiny black and red objects in his hands. Each one had the letters “MDSCM” written along one side in gold.

“Is that… that is!” I certainly hadn't been expecting to see this: footwear just like my favorite comic book character had. He was holding up boots just like the ones worn by Mister Doctor Super Captain Man, the All-Purpose Superhero. And they were my size! I could barely speak. “H-how much?”

He set down the boots and put a hand to his chin. His eyes went to the boots, to me, to up at the ceiling. After a moment he said, “Sixty-three cents.”

Sixty-three cents?!

“Okay, kid, you drive a hard bargain. A quarter.”

I stared at him for a while, I'm not sure how long. Eventually I pulled off the Infinity Gauntlet and set it on the table so I could dig into my pocket for some change. “Two dimes and a nickel okay?”

He rolled his eyes. “Yeah, kid. That's how math works.”

I handed over the coins and he handed over the boots. I kicked off my crappy old sneakers right then and there, then skimmed off my power rings so I could get the boots laced up more easily. The guy running the booth pulled a trash can out from under the table, and I pitched my old shoes in. He set it back down again as I was putting the rings and the gauntlet back on, and then went digging in another box.

Once I had everything back in place, he held out a small, white rectangle to me. “Read this,” he said.

“Why?”

“Triggers the dimensional expulsion.”

“The what now?”

“Just read it, kid.”

It turned out to be an ordinary three-by-five index card, but the writing on it was in weird, glowing purple runes. The marks on the card started writhing around as I looked at them, and as soon as they formed into words that made sense, I read off each one.

Just… Because.

There was a bright flash of white light, and suddenly I felt like I was falling. The last thing I remember before passing out was some sort of vision. I saw the remains of what had once been a horse sprawled across a pile of computer keyboards. Just past it was an endless line of angry children, all of them carrying baseball bats. As each one got to the front of the line, he or she would give the corpse a good whack and then run off, giggling. What did it mean?