• Published 26th Oct 2015
  • 1,450 Views, 26 Comments

To live, to survive, to thrive, - general well



when a man and his wife get lost in the woods, they need each other to survive in this strange new world

  • ...
14
 26
 1,450

chapter 1

‘‘Come on Tom, hurry up, You are taking too long!’’ My wife said impatiently as she wait for me to get out of the closet.

‘‘you too impatient Maria.’’ I said as I grab our rifles. ‘‘I'm just getting the rifles.’’ I said as I look around the small confined space to find out if we didn't miss anything. Where the bullet. ‘‘Maria! Did you get the cartridge box?’’ I asked with worried tone. Hopefully we didn't lose it.

‘‘Yes I did and I also got the cans food for the trip!.’’ she said.

What a relief. I thought as I got out of the closet. Where is she. I thought as I scan the room but she isn't here. ‘‘Maria! where are you.’’

‘‘I'm In the kitchen.’’ oh
‘‘And also, did you you turn off the TV? because I'm pretty sure it's on.’’ Maria said from kitchen.

I took over to where the TV is. It was showing the candidates for the debate. Ooh, I remember, the debate.

*These candidates, who you think is going to win the presidency, tune in next time when the the US election well be happ-*
I turn it off before he can finish and I got out of the room and proceeded to walk down the hall to the front door and there was Maria standing next to the door.

‘‘Tom, are you ready to go?’’ Maria ask while grabbing her raincoat and putting it on.

‘‘No, just a few more things.’’

‘‘Ok, I will be waiting outside, just don't forget to lock the doors when you leave the house.’’ Maria ordered as she open the door and went out.

‘‘Okay.’’ I should bring the nine milimeter pistol because I've seen the wrong turn movies and I going into the woods. I thought to myself.

I went to the safe behind the couch and I proceeded to put in the code. One... Nine... eight... seven... *Click!* The safe opened and I grab the gun and put it in my pocket. Hopefully Maria won't notice. I thought.

I went to the door and proceeded to go outside. I closed and locked the door behind me. I look up to the sky to see It was a bright, sunny day on a Saturday afternoon. When I was finished looking at the sky I went over to our car where Maria was.

‘‘Tom, do you have everything?’’ she asked me.

‘‘Yes Maria, and also the dog food.’’ *Maria look satisfied* ‘‘Now, where is that troublemaker?’’ I asked.

‘‘She's in the back.’’ Maria answered as she gets in the car.

‘‘Good ’’ I got in the car and started it up and drove out of the driveway and into the Road. I looked at my wife. ‘‘you look pretty as ever.’’

‘‘You've been saying that for the past five years since we've been married.’’ She said to me.

‘‘But you are, you're the most beautiful woman I ever met, and today is our anniversary, do you still remember the song that played during our first date.’’ I ask to her while having a fond memory.

‘‘Tom, how could I forget ‘I can't decide whether you should live or die’ it probably one of your best songs. She stated with a happy tone.

‘‘Wasn't it pretty funny at our wedding that you played viva la vida, remember your father was singing ‘I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing’ while being drunk on top of the church, it took hours to get him down.’’ we both started laughing at my comment.

‘‘At least it was a great wedding except my dad on the church roof.’’
Maria said with happiness.

‘‘I love you Maria.’’ I said with a serious Voice.

‘‘Aww! I love you.’’ She said.

I looked out of the window and spotted couple of cows at the nearby farms.

‘‘So Maria, what did you do today?’’ I asked.

‘‘Well... I went to the hospital for a check up and the doctor told me that... That…. That I am pregnant!’’ Maria said me with a cheerful voice.

‘‘What?’’ I stopped the car as a sense of shock and happiness swelled within me all at once. ‘‘Are you lying?’’ I asked.

‘‘No, I'm serious. I'm pregnant.’’ She said with a serious look.

‘‘I'm going to be a father!’’ I said as my heart jumped with joy. ‘‘How old is the baby?’’I asked eagerly.

‘‘Not a baby, But the babies, we are going to have triplets.’’ She answered with a smile.

"That's gonna be a lot of diapers.’’ *chuckle* ‘‘how old are they." I asked again.

‘‘A month and a week old.’’ Maria answered.

‘‘And it took the doctor that long to notice, that is stupid.’’ I said.

‘‘I don't know... But look, Tom, we're here.’’ She pointed out.

I look around. it is the place.

‘‘Hmm... Doesn't look like a lot of people are here.’’ I said as I looked around to see there are not too many car.
We drive around a little bit until we found a parking space and we parked the car and we got out.

‘‘It a lovely time to hunt some deer.’’ Maria stated to me as she grabbed the hunting rifles and opened the door for our dog. ‘‘Rex come out.’’ Maria ordered.
Rex comes out of the car and started wagging her tail.

‘‘Who's a good girl.’’ I said to my dog as I rubs the top of her head. She started licking my hand. ‘‘Come on Rex, let's go.‘‘ I said. We started walking down a dirt pathway. Which was in covered with weeds and bushes.

I look up to the sky. Ahh, Come on it's cloudy.

‘‘So... what did you do today, Tom?’’ Maria asked with curiosity.

‘‘Well... I helped my coworker build an auto turret. It shoots 15 rounds per second and it has a sniper mode.’’ I said as I looked at the ground and noticed some deer tracks.

‘‘How accurate is it?’’ Maria asked as she followed the deer tracks.

‘‘When it shoots 15 rounds per second is kind of inaccurate. But on sniper mode, it is super accurate. It shot over 2.0 miles!’’ I explained with pride.

‘‘That sounds great, why couldn't we use that for deer hunting?’’ Maria asked sarcastically.

*it starts to rain*

‘‘Well, it's for my company and technically I built half of the thing. But I know how to build the whole thing. Just the stuff, I would have to find.’’ I told her.

‘‘With your salary, I'm not surprised if you could find the items.’’ Maria told me as she rolls her eyes at me.

‘‘Trust me, Maria. They are hard to find in-.’’

*Snap!*

I looked up and spotted a deer in front of us. ‘‘Maria, give me my rifle.’’ I ordered her.

‘‘Here, Tom.’’ She gave me one of the rifles and kept the other one to herself.

‘‘Ok.’’ I pointed the rifle at the deer and held it steady.

*Then a flash of lightning and the sound of thunder* Scared the deer and it sprinted away.

‘‘Hurry! Chase it!’’ Maria yelled as she quickly chase the deer.

I quickly looked over at Rex and said. ‘‘Come on girl. Let's go.’’ I ran and soon caught up to Maria.

The deer front of us proceeded to jumped over a log and three of us jumped over it shortly after. Maria caught up to the deer near a ledge.
Maria almost got it but the deer turned left and she fell over the ledge.

‘‘Maria!’’ I screamed as I went over to the ledge where Maria fell down. ‘‘Maria, are you okay!’’ I look around and spotted her. She was laying on the ground.

Shortly she turned to look at me. ‘‘I'm OK, Tom. I think I bruised my knee.’’ She said as she got up.

I tried to give her a hand and she tried to to grab it.

‘‘Tom, I think the ledge is too high to reach you hand.’’ she said.

‘‘Wait a second , I'm coming down.’’ I told her as I slid down towards her while Rex followed closely behind. ‘‘Are you okay, honey?’’ I asked with worry.

‘‘Yes, I'm okay. Just a small bruise.’’ She said as she started to brush the dirt off of her. ‘‘I wonder how we get out of here?’’ She asked me as we observe the small cliff above us.

‘‘Is it just me or is it almost night time.’’

‘‘I notice it too Tom, and also everything looks more colorful.’’ Maria said as she touch a plant.

‘‘Maybe we should keep moving, I'm pretty sure there is a road on the other side of this forest.’’ I told her.

‘‘Then let's get moving.’’ Maria said.

------------------

We were walking for maybe, I don't know, 2 miles. I am tired, where's the other side of this forest.
Wait, what is that. I look in the far distance and realize it's a cave.

‘‘Hey, look a cave maybe we could have shelter there and be out of this rain.’’ I said with joy. Finally glad to see something other than trees, I thought.

‘‘But Tom, what about those big looking dogs?’’ She asked with concern in her voice.

I take a closer look at the cave and see the dogs are standing guard and wearing scrap of metal armor and wielding clubs.

‘‘Where are we, Maria? Why are dogs wearing armor?’’ I asked dumbfounded

‘‘I don't know, Tom. Maybe we-’’ Maria was cut off as something grabbed her while covering her mouth.

‘‘Maria!’’ I yelled. I pulled out my pistol and noticed it was one of dogs. I was able to fire until I was hit from behind with something. I fell to the ground as I dropped my pistol. It was another dog that snuck up behind me. I pulled out my knife and lunged at it. The dog backed away but I managed to leave a large gash on its right arm. The dog swung his club but I managed to dodged it. Two more dogs arrived at the scene and pointed their weapons at me.

I was about to attack again but a scream made me freeze, it was Maria and one of the dogs was holding a knife against her throat.

One wrong move and she wouldn't make it out of here alive, I thought.

‘‘You drop weapon! Now! or I kill!’’ The dog ordered stupidly.

I did what the dog said. I put my knife down on the ground, although, not before I slid my pocket knife under my foot within my shoe. ‘‘So now what?’’ I asked.
Then Something hit the back of my head and then I blacked out.

Author's Note:

tell me if i made any mistakes so I could fix it. anyways what do you think, and the next chapter gonna be a bit longer